Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

WEEK 20 • Jan. 25, 2021 — TWO asterisk **
96. World Geography. Of the countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea, these 2 on opposite sides of it are the smallest & largest in area.
97. Pop Music. First released as a single in 1982, this song was re-released & charted again 17 years later & 17 years after that.
* 98. The Wild West. These 2 legends both known for buckskin clothes & long, flowing hair met violent ends 38 days apart, in Montana & South Dakota.  *
99. 20th Century Authors. In a 1959 article he wrote, “People began to call themselves beatniks, beats…bugniks &…I was called the ‘avatar’ of all this.”
* 100. British Army History. The Army’s longest continuous campaign, 1969-2007, began in this Northern Ireland city known by either of 2 different names.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Not really sure how I got these all because even after answering I kept doubting some of them but my very first 5\5 with 1*. I guess the week could get better. 

Not to be picky, but you did score a 5 in Week 9, and you got two ** this week, not just one. But you are the only perfect Perfect this week! So GFY, and I mean it!

Me, I'm back in my comfortable seat at the head of Table For One. It's good to be home!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Not to be picky, but you did score a 5 in Week 9, and you got two ** this week, not just one. But you are the only perfect Perfect this week! So GFY, and I mean it!

Me, I'm back in my comfortable seat at the head of Table For One. It's good to be home!

Wow! You are really good for my self-esteem! Thank you!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Since we are sharing a table, shall I cook? @secnarf, are you hungry for anything? 

When other people cook, I am not picky!

I'll bring the dessert? I know it's out of season, but I am certainly craving a nice pumpkin pie.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Since we are sharing a table, shall I cook?

This is exactly why I was so happy to find you at MY table, @Mindthinkr. It will be a fine time at the Table For One this week. I am grateful for any scraps of food tossed in my direction.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Well, my incredibly good Jeopardy luck couldn't continue and now I get to chill at the table for 1!  It is always the cheeriest Jeopardy table and I am pleased to be there.  1/5.

Although, I considered Custer but didn't really consider his hair long and flowy especially when compared to Hickock.   
I also considered Kerouac and went with Ginsberg.. but given the quote Kerouac makes more sense.   

• Love 3

I had a Bell curve week - 3/5 with one *. 

If we could count halves, I would be higher because I easily got Monaco but wandered around the African continent too much to come up with Algeria.  I have to give credit to Deadwood for my asterisk because once I got to Hickock, I remembered an early episode (actually the first I think) where they were discussing Little Big Horn {plus he has ties to Monroe, Michigan so local connection).  I have Derry Girls in my Netflix list but haven't gotten to it yet - my brain was flitting all over Ireland and couldn't come up with an answer in time.

Congrats to all the 5/5s.  If I were invited to the Table for One dinner this week, I'd bring apple crisp which I will be making today if I don't have to do too much snow removal (crossed fingers, it doesn't look too bad right now).

• Love 5

3/5, 1 *

I got Monaco Monday but had no idea for the 2nd. For Wed I said Kit Carson (of course) & the dead man's hand guy. Hubby supplied his name & also knew Custer.

Love Prince and a lucky guess for Thursday (almost went with Ginsberg but Kerouac made more sense). My sister & I binge watched Derry Girls last weekend hence my * for Friday. 

On 1/31/2021 at 7:05 PM, j5cochran said:

Week twenty: three of five with one asterisk! @Grundoon59 and @M. Darcy and I will have to set up a Table of Three for Three.

Make it 4! In honor of our 50 degree weather here in the deep south, I will bring my mom's oyster artichoke soup and some Valentine's candy. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Make it 4! In honor of our 50 degree weather here in the deep south, I will bring my mom's oyster artichoke soup and some Valentine's candy. 

I'm trying a new recipe tonight -- Leftover Turkey Bundles, made with garlic herb cream cheese, onions, water chestnuts, bok choy, and other stuff, all chopped up and baked in pouches made with crescent roll dough. If it works, I'll bring it to the table!

• Love 3

Apologies for being late. Been going through some things. I'm okay.

25 JAN    Algeria/Monaco    1/1
26 JAN    1999            2/2
27 JAN    Hickock/Earp        2/3
28 JAN     Jack Kerouac    3/4
29 JAN    Belfast        3/5

• Love 3
(edited)

Glad you are okay @theartandsound. I enjoy reading your posts and seeing how many I matched with you. (2 this week: 1 correct, 1 not correct!)

I am awarding Winner of Week 20 to @secnarf, the only player whose answers have created a pattern over the last few weeks. SECNARF not only wins this week's highest honor, SECNARF qualifies for a position at Cape Kennedy, an honor of the highest standing all by itself. And to prove SECNARF's brilliance, here is the official document confirming this. Congratulations, SECNARF!

1984193198_rocketscientist.jpg.e4fed62a4e0de9b71035e4a645777327.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Glad you are okay @theartandsound. I enjoy reading your posts and seeing how many I matched with you. (2 this week: 1 correct, 1 not correct!)

I am awarding Winner of Week 20 to @secnarf, the only player whose answers have created a pattern over the last few weeks. SECNARF not only wins this week's highest honor, SECNARF qualifies for a position at Cape Kennedy, an honor of the highest standing all by itself. And to prove SECNARF's brilliance, here is the official document confirming this. Congratulations, SECNARF!

1984193198_rocketscientist.jpg.e4fed62a4e0de9b71035e4a645777327.jpg

Thank you Saber!!!! Once COVID is over, seeing a rocket launch is very high on my to-do list, and clearly this is affecting my score pattern, which seems to have followed the Freedom 7 flight path.

I did go once for a rocket launch, but it was sadly scrubbed due to weather. We already had a flight booked home on the Friday, and they ended up launching the following day. We always said we would go back for the next launch with humans on it, but COVID had other plans. Thank you so much for this wonderful award 🙂

• Love 7

WEEK 21 • Feb. 1, 2021 — ONE asterisk **
101. Science Words. This word used to denote an irreversible dispersion of energy was coined in the 1860s to sound a bit like “energy.”
102. Writers for Children. The Dartmouth alumni magazine gave “rejoice” as a rhyme for the correct pronunciation of his name.
103. European Royalty. In 1653 King Louis XIV performed as this Greco-Roman god in the ballet “De La Nuit.”
104. Cable Networks. In March 1979 Tip O’Neill & then-representative Al Gore were the first politicians to speak on this new cable channel.
*105. Popes & History. Late 16th Century Pope Sixtus V regarded this invasion force as a crusade & promised indulgences to all who participated.*

• Love 2

4/5 with 1*.  Thought I was about to bell curve for a second week in a row (science is not my strong suit) but figuring out the Pope's time frame and a long term interest in Tudor history got me to the Armada just in time [but the Python part of my heart/brain likes the Inquisition as an answer].

• Love 3

1/5. Tuesday was a guess that panned out. Guesses on Monday and Wednesday didn't. Count me as another who said CNN on Thursday, even though I thought it didn't come along until a bit later than '79. Also said Spanish Inquisition on Friday, which was unexpected, and I knew was wrong. Not a great week. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Nobody expects the Spanish Armada!

LOL! Exactly!

I'm glad to have so much great company with me at The Official Table For One, where I once again take my seat at the head of the table. I say we vote to let @Clanstarling join us as guest so as to partake in the wonderous culinary feast soon to be set by the talented chef known as @Mindthinkr.

• Love 3