Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

I feel like I am in very good company at the 2/5 table.  Started and ended the week well but very bad middle.  On Tuesday through Thursday, I did a lot of muttering at the tv "oh yeah I really should have known that".

Congratulations bybrandy!  It is a heady feeling.

• Love 3

5/5. My aunt was such a big Elvis fan, I had to know Viva Las Vegas. I actually own The Very Hungry Caterpillar book. (Don't ask!) And knowing presidents and years and what they did (or did not do) is first priority for people like me, I keep trying to get on the show. Although chances are slim for that since I'm not in California. Have a great week everyone!

• Love 5

4/5

Monday was a lucky guess, and only because I had caught some of Viva Las Vegas on TCM on the previous Friday (Elvis marathon for his birthday; BTW, Alex is included in TCM's utterly gorgeous 2020 In Memoriam). My 14-year old snotted that, "this movie must be 80 years old", so I looked at the info to show him that it is indeed only 3 years older than his father & less than 10 years older than his mother, however ancient we appear to be. So 1964 movie with a song and that popped into my head. Otherwise I probably would not have gotten it. 

I guessed Portugal for Wednesday since I think Portugal or Spain for European colonies in South America. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Now that everyone is here, it's time to unveil the most obvious winner of Week 18. Look over and up and you will see, standing on top of the FJ Contest podium, none other than @bybrandy, celebrating a PERFECT WEEK for the first time. The Contest Master even had a special medallion made to commemorate this historic event. Please accept this medal on behalf of all the other contest players and Saber. Congratulations on your glowing achievement. May you have many more. Now be careful because the air up there is rarefied and we don't want you to get dizzy!

perfect_.jpg.045adf352903f929ce569ab9d23a1031.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Now that everyone is here, it's time to unveil the most obvious winner of Week 18. Look over and up and you will see, standing on top of the FJ Contest podium, none other than @bybrandy, celebrating a PERFECT WEEK for the first time. The Contest Master even had a special medallion made to commemorate this historic event. Please accept this medal on behalf of all the other contest players and Saber. Congratulations on your glowing achievement. May you have many more. Now be careful because the air up there is rarefied and we don't want you to get dizzy!

perfect_.jpg.045adf352903f929ce569ab9d23a1031.jpg

Love it!  Thanks Saber.  Heading for a fall for sure but enjoying the view while I'm up here!!!

• Love 4

To lighten the mood around here a bit, does anyone know what's black and white and sings? That's Huey Lewis and the Newspapers.

Because Jeopardy likes to have clues about the Knights of the Round Table (play along with me), does anyone know who is the fattest knight? That would be Sir Cumference.

I know some of you are missing the adventures of Dung Beetle, so here's a fact about Dung Beetle Junior. Do you know how he gets to class every day? He takes the stool bus.

Does anyone know what's black and white and sings? Yes, there's Huey and his band, but what about Oreo Speedwagon?

I'll be here (in this thread anyway) all week. Don't forget to tip your waiters.

• LOL 9

WEEK 19 • Jan. 18, 2021 — NO asterisk **
91. Movie Settings. In 2017 this New York City luxury store opened its first café, with truffle eggs, waffles & croissants on the menu.
92. The Business Of Travel. Adjusted for inflation, the nightly rate this company put in its name in 1962 is now $51.
93. The Western U.S. About 100 miles apart, they were made state capitals 10 years apart in 1854 & 1864 & both grew rapidly due to precious metals.
94. British Writers. When Agatha Christie disappeared for 11 days in 1926, this British fellow writer tried to find her with the help of a spiritual medium.
95. Statues. Statues honoring this man who was killed in 1779 can be found in Waimea, Kauai & in Whitby, England.

• Love 1

I'm happy for how well everyone has done this week. I actually thought it was a Bizarro Week since I did the best I've done since Week 10, which left me pretty gobsmacked. With one zero and the rest 1s and 2s, I scored my third 3 this season. I almost ALMOST got a 4, which could have made my head explode. For the motel clue, I right away thought Motel 6, that's where a lot of dog-show people stay because we can use AKC's corporate discount. But I remember WAY back, I met a friend at the first motel in my town, a Super 8, and I asked why it was named that and was told the rooms were $8. I thought maybe Motel 6 came later. There wasn't one in my town for many years.

The capitol city clue confused me. I thought it was asking for a town that was capitol first in that state, then the capitol got moved to a city 100 miles away, same state, a state that had lots of mining. So, because Montana's motto is oro y plata, I went with Butte and Helena. I know ... not even close. But hey, I scored a 3 this week, so I'm not totally brain dead. Yet.

I send a big GOOD FOR YOU to all contest players.

• Love 6

Can we claim 4 1/2 of 5 if we got one capital and SHOULD have known the other?  No?  I thought not.  Still, 4/5 is pretty good, and I don't feel as ignorant or slow as some other weeks have been.  I thought I got more right before I started actually tracking how many I got right.  Hmmm...ignorance was bliss in that regard.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I'm happy for how well everyone has done this week. I actually thought it was a Bizarro Week since I did the best I've done since Week 10, which left me pretty gobsmacked.

I'm always here to make you look better....

2/5

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, opus said:

I'm always here to make you look better....

I credit my love of old BW movies, Sherlock Holmes and the skill to finally grab the right answer out of the air when names fly past. Meanwhile, thank you for your service @opus. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. I guess. Maybe?

• Love 5

I was almost with Ailianna requesting a table for 4.5 because I got Carson City right away (thank you Kit) but then I went east and got caught up in Denver.  Musical comedy knowledge (Unsinkable Molly B) helped me rule it out - dates seemed wrong -  my brain flew to Sacramento just in time. So I would like to join the  5/5 table please.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Brian trolling Ken with H&R Block was funny

And Ken was such a good sport about it. I'm guessing Brian truly did not know the answer, unless he was okay with tossing $3,799 away on a troll.

Interesting that two weeks of Jeopardy episodes for us viewers was just two days of work for Mr. Jennings. I hope Brian continues to do well. And I got a big laugh out of his pronunciation of "Chicago." Native Chicago speakers will know what I mean.

• Love 3
(edited)

Because everyone did so well this week, I figured some stats. Of 23 players reporting in:

15 scored higher this week than last
6 kept the same score as last week
2 scored lower than last week

TA DAH! and TOOT TOOT! As for this week's winner, I am awarding @Mindthinkr that honor for being the Most Consistent Player for the past several weeks. I like a dependable person, and Mindthinkr is that. Congratulations on your Very Special Honor! May you keep it up for many weeks to come. Enjoy your glorious week on the High Contest Podium!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8

GAH! @Browncoat, I'm such a loser. You were the first to post, last to be recorded. But now you are in, and yes, at least I was correct that you scored higher this week than last. Your new Penguin Pals meets my approval! (Not that you were waiting for that.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Shout out today to our Hard Working @opus.

FJ today was an easy Custer(d) and because I've never watched Deadwood, I grabbed Kit Carson for my second guess, to honor ... well, ya'll know who I was honoring.

Not looking forward to my fav Brian battling my fav Zach tomorrow.

Brian Chang is being interviewed on Chicago radio in the morning.

• Love 3