Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

WEEK 17 • Jan. 4, 2021 — TWO asterisk **
* 81. Literary Characters of the 1600s. When the title character tells him that a great adventure may win him an island he can govern, he leaves his family.  *
* 82. State Name Origins. The names of these 2 states honor a king & his father, who was executed in 1649.  *
83. Blockbuster Movies. Released in 2017, this movie is the highest-grossing film in the U.S. that’s set during World War I.
84. Musicals. 4 songs from this 1968 musical made the Billboard Top 10, including one with an astrological theme that was No. 1 for 6 weeks.
85. Women & Science. Dr. Margaret Todd gave science this word for different forms of one basic substance; it’s from the Greek for “equal” & “place.”

• Love 3

04 JAN    Sancho Panza    1/1
05 JAN    N + S Carolina    2/2
06 JAN    Wonder Woman    3/3
07 JAN    Hair            4/4
08 JAN    isotopes        5/5

5/5 with 2 *'s on Alex's final week. Fitting tribute to the man.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

WEEK 17 • Jan. 4, 2021 — TWO asterisk **
* 81. Literary Characters of the 1600s. When the title character tells him that a great adventure may win him an island he can govern, he leaves his family.  *
* 82. State Name Origins. The names of these 2 states honor a king & his father, who was executed in 1649.  *
83. Blockbuster Movies. Released in 2017, this movie is the highest-grossing film in the U.S. that’s set during World War I.
84. Musicals. 4 songs from this 1968 musical made the Billboard Top 10, including one with an astrological theme that was No. 1 for 6 weeks.
85. Women & Science. Dr. Margaret Todd gave science this word for different forms of one basic substance; it’s from the Greek for “equal” & “place.”

It was actually three asterisks - no one got Wonder Women correct either!

• Love 2

It's Tuesday and Time to pay Tribute to the Trooper who Topped Week 17's FJ Contest. And that person is none other than our friend, @Prevailing Wind. PW is a long-time player, first-time asterisk getter. Yes, that's correct folks. PW scored one of those very special stars this week, making it very VERY special indeed. So congrats PW. Long may those little stars shine on your FJ Contest scores. [applause, applause!]

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Sorry @saber5055 - couldn't access the forums yesterday

Not a problem. Forums were down for me last night for a while too. There will be another tough decision for winner of next week (well, technically this week) as the contest currently has several standouts. But PW's first asterisk was a very special event!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 1/12/2021 at 6:58 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I would have misspelled the dog's name, but I knew how to pronounce it.

I was with the player who wrote "that Russian dog." I had to look up the dog's name. Where I also discovered the dog died a horrible death in that space capsule, this revealed decades after the original story that the dog just drifted peacefully off to sleep and never woke up.

You're welcome for that agonizing tidbit.

I also learned the dog's name is pronounced like the camera. So if you spelled it Leica, you would have been golden!

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1

OK, then I was golden!  But not today... When the first FJ question was revealed, Ken said, "Yes. French Guiana. France."  It seem to me they were going for France, but since I blurted out "French Guiana...has a 400 mile border with Brazil?" I'm not sure if they would have given it to me.

Now I'm gonna go look at a map...

• Love 1

PW, I instantly answered French Guiana and I was wrong because the question asked for this European country, not the name of the territory that borders Brazil. Someone posted on TJF.com that he quickly said French Guiana too, and added that was a good lesson about actually READING the clue before answering. So often my brain only absorbs part of those Jeopardy clues. If any parts at all!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

PW, I instantly answered French Guiana and I was wrong because the question asked for this European country, not the name of the territory that borders Brazil. Someone posted on TJF.com that he quickly said French Guiana too, and added that was a good lesson about actually READING the clue before answering. So often my brain only absorbs part of those Jeopardy clues. If any parts at all!

Which is exactly why I didn’t get FJ last night either. My brain activated before completion of reading the clue. 

• Love 3

If I hadn't gotten stuck on wondering about the length of the border, I might have finally gotten around to France, but I was too preoccupied with "400 miles."

Today: I pre-guessed The Very Hungry Caterpillar - the only thing I know about it is it's a frequent answer on J!  So when the answer was revealed, I asked, "What is Pat the Bunny?" because I know it's got holes in the pages. Sheesh. Blew that one.

• LOL 5
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If I hadn't gotten stuck on wondering about the length of the border, I might have finally gotten around to France, but I was too preoccupied with "400 miles."

I hate when that happens.

I had no guess for Thursday's FJ, even though my college major was illustration with emphasis on children's book illustration. I can take comfort in the fact the champ, an illustrator, didn't get it either. I'll bet she knows all the Maurice Sendak books though. I do  know many children's books are printed in Japan, they are not in the niche of American printers, and print buyers can get good prices there. Not that that helped me answer the clue.

I laughed about the guy with the horse hooves, especially since his last name is the name of my county and I see horses outside my window. I also instantly knew Secretariat, I watched all his races, took breaks from riding my own horse to come inside to the tv.

• Love 3

Week 18, 4/5. No * this week, right? Total so far, 68/90 + 15*.
Thursday I had no idea until I remembered that The Very Hungry Caterpillar was in a question a while ago, and maybe it has holes "eaten" in the pages. I have never seen this book.
Friday I chose JFK over LBJ because JFK was in office for a shorter time. I haven't seen The Crown either; guessing it is on cable or streaming, which I do not have.

• Love 1

WEEK 18 • Jan. 11, 2021 — NO asterisk **
86. 1960s Songs. The name of this title song from a 1964 movie can be translated from Spanish as “Long Live the Meadows.”
87. Famous Animals. When she first came to the world’s attention in 1957, she was dubbed “Muttnik” by U.S. journalists.
88. World Geography. The Oyapock river forms part of Brazil’s 400-mile border with the territory of this European country.
89. Children's Books. This 1969 book was first printed in Japan because no U.S. company would then make a book with so many holes in the pages.
90. Queen Elizabeth II. Of the last 12 sitting U.S. presidents, the only one Elizabeth never met; she had her youngest child 3 months into his presidency.

• Love 1

1/5. Almost a shutout, but an educated guess of LBJ saved me! I was feeling bummed out about my bad week, but when I came here and saw it was the same for many others, I felt better 😄

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I was feeling bummed out about my bad week, but when I came here and saw it was the same for many others, I felt better

One of my reasons for being is to make Contest players feel better. I didn't know if the current queen is Elizabeth I, II, III or IV, so I just pulled Truman out of the air so I'd have an answer. I had a 1 in 44 chance of being correct.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 4
On 1/13/2021 at 7:11 PM, saber5055 said:

I was with the player who wrote "that Russian dog." I had to look up the dog's name. Where I also discovered the dog died a horrible death in that space capsule, this revealed decades after the original story that the dog just drifted peacefully off to sleep and never woke up.

You're welcome for that agonizing tidbit.

I also learned the dog's name is pronounced like the camera. So if you spelled it Leica, you would have been golden!

My family has a daily game of 20 questions via text since the start of the pandemic and Laika was a topic I set a couple of months ago because I heard the mutnick nickname and I enjoyed it.  Researching the topic to properly answer the yes and no questions was when I learned the horrific death fact.  I often share fun facts about the topic after the correct answer is guessed.  I did not share this particular fact.  

First time ever 5/5.   

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 7