Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had a good game and missed very few clues. Like @saber5055 I wanted to put the Bedroom at Arles, but the circle of light made me think that it had to be Starry Night so I went with it. So off to a decent start this week and can relax knowing I’ll at least get a seat at a table. 

• Love 3

That was a good game to watch, an okay game for me.

I got just two ts's: Military Cross and World Vision.

Almost an instaget FJ.  It was the "balls of orange-yellow light" that gave it to me.

I thought Anderson Cooper did an excellent job, possibly the best guest host yet.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I knew he would be good, he's used to being a presenter (not just the news, but other things as well). I didn't particularly notice the hesitation, or at least, as I am writing this I don't remember.

I don't know if I would really have noticed if someone else hadn't pointed it out.

45 minutes ago, Trey said:

Almost an instaget FJ.  It was the "balls of orange-yellow light" that gave it to me.

I always just think of it as yellow, which was one reason I thought I was wrong.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It was awkward, for sure. But I felt for the guy - he'd imagined this moment with Alex for all his life, and he wanted to say those specific words. Unfortunately, he messed up "disrepect" with "deference" and made it more awkward. But I can relate to nerves blocking the information from mind to tongue.

Yeah, I feel like he had a little script in his head should he manage to land on a DD and then when it actually happened he got flustered.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

didn't particularly notice the hesitation, or at least, as I am writing this I don't remember.

I noticed because I would start to mark myself right and had to wait for confirmation.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The hesitation before saying the answer was correct drove me nuts by the end of the show.  I hope they encouraged him to speed it up for the next game.

I definitely appreciate that he's a smart guy and knows how to pronounce everything, but it sounds like he's reading the news.  Which makes sense considering his day job, lol, but it'll take me a bit to get used to his delivery of the clues.  I'm not a fan of his, but I think he'll get better and better as each game goes on.

• Love 3

Since these shows are edited, the time between answer and when the host says correct or no can be added or taken out. I don't blame the host, I blame the editors if pauses are too long for some viewers. Seems to me boards have been being cleared lately so if players are too fast, pauses have to be added somewhere to meet the time allotted per episode.

Those who want the host's response to be faster, do you want to see more commercials added or just some dead time with players staring at each other to fill the extra time. Your decision.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Those who want the host's response to be faster, do you want to see more commercials added or just some dead time with players staring at each other to fill the extra time. Your decision.

I'll take the pauses, thank you.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Since these shows are edited, the time between answer and when the host says correct or no can be added or taken out. I don't blame the host, I blame the editors if pauses are too long for some viewers. Seems to me boards have been being cleared lately so if players are too fast, pauses have to be added somewhere to meet the time allotted per episode.

If those are my choices, I'd actually prefer an extra commercial.

• LOL 3
40 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The new champ has a pretty full IMDB page.

Nothing of which I've actually seen. (Except for an partial episode of Black-ish here and there but I doubt he was in them. Don't recall any scenes with a male nurse.)

I liked him, though. Hope he keeps doing well.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

LOL. That would give me more time to let dogs out and back in without missing anything.

It’s funny but I thought he was very tv-ish & I had idea about his background. Something too add to the resume’.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't watch Black-ish, although I've seen clips that are very funny, but six episodes over seven seasons of a successful show is a pretty good recurring gig, on top of all the individual jobs.  I love the recurring characters on "my" shows and would be delighted if any of those actors showed up.  On another note, I can't remember the last time they had someone give their occupation as "actor."  Many game shows of the last several years seem not to want folks to mention this, for reasons I can only guess at.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This brings up an interesting point.  At least under Trebek, I understood J! was "live-to-tape" and edited as little as possible.  Maybe a clue read again in post-prod, the occasional "wait while we look this up" with waiting removed, but not much else.  Producers say even small edits are more easily perceived than we'd guess and can really screw up the flow.  More than once I've said "surely they could find 20 seconds somewhere to get the last few clues in when they don't clear boards," but apparently it's best not to do that.

So along similar lines, I hope Cooper and whoever else may come along just makes it a little snappier.  For the record, though, I really would rather have another few commercials than the pauses if they could push all those half-seconds together.  Maybe I could freshen my drink and get back in time without falling over the cats or the divan on my way.  Otherwise, they could use it to give one or two more clarifications about obscure responses, say.  But maybe we'll just have to make our peace with the dead air.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Many game shows of the last several years seem not to want folks to mention this, for reasons I can only guess at.

Champion Mike is an anomaly in that many people appearing on game or reality shows are wanna-be actors, they try to get on any teevee show as a marketing "look-at-me" publicity ploy. They give their career as personal trainer, software salesperson, "influencer" and so forth. (I'm looking at you, Bachelor Nation.) Check out IMDB and many have a holding page (they created themselves) with posts of little significance. Mike is the first "real" actor I've seen on any game show. Plus he is obviously smart. So there's that!

No J  here today. I'll check J-Archive to see what I missed.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

They could try not taking out contestants' "Who is."  Would save us some time here, not having to ask about it.

• Love 1

Round 1: Ran Movies to Stage

And then the news interrupted during the interview portion and I missed the rest.

Checked the archive...

Knew all the planets except Mercury because I was thinking of the wrong mission and said Saturn (that was Cassini). Got all of Relax and In the Dictionary.

Round 2: Didn't run any category; got the TS of conscientiousness and one DD (Boer War).

Did not know FJ.

• Love 2

I didn't get FJ.  I assumed it was something in Denmark, realized I know nothing about Denmark, so I said Buckingham palace.

I got the missed clues of Mars, Mercury and postimpressionism.

I got the entire category of planets right.

Funny answer: I said eccentricity instead of exceptionalism for the clue about American uniqueness or whatever it was.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I looked up FJ a couple of hours before watching the episode, and couldn't come up with the correct answer until the very last second - I kept wanting to say "Tripoli" and it took a while to get to the right combination of letters haha. I did know this one because of one of my favourite children's books, Number the Stars.

I always struggle with the pronunciation of recidivism, and would never have been able to verbalize the answer on Jeopardy!

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Biden press conference made miss 75 percent of the show.  

Didn't know FJ.  Said the louvre all I could think of. 

Same here, for all of the above.

Do I get extra points for being the only one who guessed Eiffel Tower for FJ? If so, I get another point for never having heard of Tivoli.

Yeay, two points for saber!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

They all clearly did not understand the planet shaming category on the first clue, and it was funny to see it dawn on all of them at once when Anderson revealed the answer.

The parochial TS surprised me.  Also that no one picked up on the mistake Nina made, to come up with conscientiousness. 

I almost ran the first round, but missed one of the movies to stage clues (and the $200 one at that, which really irks me).

I didn't do nearly that well in DJ.  The only category I ran was the stupidly-named Leading Female TV.  I blew history and books, missing three each, and missed two Asian cities plus one each in the remaining two categories.

I had absolutely no idea on FJ.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Do I get extra points for being the only one who guessed Eiffel Tower for FJ? If so, I get another point for never having heard of Tivoli.

I thought of Eiffel Tower but it didn't seem to make sense. I have heard of Tivoli, vaguely, but it is not something that I ever would have thought of. Nor could I have told you what it is.

• Love 2

When I first heard of Tivoli, I thought it was Italian.

But I fell asleep during the news, slept all through Wheel, woke up for the beginning of J! but immediately fell asleep again. I don't know what to do anymore to get my sleep cycle back on track.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

Funny answer: I said eccentricity instead of exceptionalism for the clue about American uniqueness or whatever it was.

Maybe De Tocqueville was just being polite - exceptional and eccentric aren't all that far apart in meaning. 😄

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

They all clearly did not understand the planet shaming category on the first clue, and it was funny to see it dawn on all of them at once when Anderson revealed the answer.

We enjoyed that too. I can't really remember a time when the meaning of the category dawned on the contestants in such a visible - and audible - manner.

I ran Movie to Stage, and almost ran several other categories. So a good day for me on the boards.

FJ was a total blank. I've heard of Tivoli Gardens, but thought they were just gardens, and I wouldn't have placed them in Denmark at all. The mister took a wild swing and said "the Little Mermaid Museum" - which now that I think of it, isn't that wild of a swing, just unlikely.

• Love 2

Well, thanks to a certain interruption, I missed everything from the first commercial break to the reveal of the FJ clue.  Damn it, why couldn't it have waited until 7:30!?!?!?!

After checking j-archive, I see that I would've done so-so on the first round and better in Double Jeopardy.  I did get FJ - my first instinct was to say Neuschwanstein Castle because it was the model for Cinderella's castle at Disney, but that didn't really work for Hans Christian Anderson.  So I went with Tivoli Gardens because I knew it was Danish.

• Love 3
On 4/15/2021 at 8:01 PM, Katy M said:

I just knew that opals are black and are big in South Africa.

I didn't need the photo.  I knew that the best opals, including black opals, come from Australia.  Coober Pedy in South Australia is considered the opal capital of the world.

On 4/16/2021 at 7:28 PM, ams1001 said:

Round 1: Ran History on Ice (which included the TS of Clarence Birdseye and missed DD of Northwest Passage), missed one each in every other category except countries.

I was practically screaming "Northwest Passage" at the tv.  It's a bit of an obsession for me.

I would never have known Stanford in a billion years, but I bet my model railroader brother would have.

• Love 2
On 4/16/2021 at 8:04 PM, Browncoat said:

I also got Northwest Passage, Birdseye, grouse, Born Free, and in vivo.  

I did get all of those.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:28 PM, Bastet said:

In DJ, I joined the contestants in being stumped by Horatio Nelson, Ed Sheeran, and the Gulf of Bothnia. 

I didn't get Ed Sheeran, but Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson was a gimme.  I was amused by the guy answering Horatio Hornblower, though.

On 4/19/2021 at 7:59 PM, Browncoat said:

nstaget FJ for me tonight, which surprised me.  I wasn't at all confident when they revealed the category, but I suppose I should have known it would be a well-known painting.  I was also surprised that Donna missed it.

I was completely stumped by FJ.  Of course, I'm not all that fond of Van Gogh but Starry Night is the one painting of his I really like.  Maybe the phrasing of the clue confused me - yeah, that's what I'm going with.

they totally screwed with me with this: "... from the artist’s window in this piece."

It was that part which confused me.

• Love 2
On 4/20/2021 at 9:18 AM, Clanstarling said:

It was awkward, for sure. But I felt for the guy - he'd imagined this moment with Alex for all his life, and he wanted to say those specific words. Unfortunately, he messed up "disrepect" with "deference" and made it more awkward. But I can relate to nerves blocking the information from mind to tongue.

Yeah, it didn't bother me.

19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

he new champ has a pretty full IMDB page.

I've probably seen at least him on at least one episode of Black-ish.  All I knew was that he couldn't be the Mike Nelson who was on MST3K.

34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, thanks to a certain interruption, I missed everything from the first commercial break to the reveal of the FJ clue.  Damn it, why couldn't it have waited until 7:30!?!?!?!

After checking j-archive, I see that I would've done so-so on the first round and better in Double Jeopardy.  I did get FJ - my first instinct was to say Neuschwanstein Castle because it was the model for Cinderella's castle at Disney, but that didn't really work for Hans Christian Anderson.  So I went with Tivoli Gardens because I knew it was Danish.

Would've run the Planet Shaming category, though.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

The mister took a wild swing and said "the Little Mermaid Museum"

It was the Little Mermaid that got me to the answer.  Where was the statue? Tivoli came to me first and then a couple of seconds later Gardens added itself.  I really amazed myself by getting it.

I did get the ts's or missed dd's of Mars, Mercury, and parochial. 

Otherwise, a fairly ordinary game for me.

Still liking Anderson Cooper.  Can't say I noticed long pauses before he credited or negged an answer.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I thought of the eifel tower too but knew it was built later that 1843

I know nothing about tivoli gardens.  It sounds vaguely familiar, that's about it

I came up with the TSs of Post Impressionism and was in the German castle area for FJ like someone else who remembered that the Disney Castle was modeled on it. Ah well. 
  I’m still not sure how I feel about Anderson Cooper hosting. I figure to be fair I need to give him a few days to get comfortable and over any nerves. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Sorry, @saber5055, you'll have to share a point for Eiffel Tower with my daughter, who is visiting from the west coast.
🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I did know Tivoli immediately, but I wrote my thesis on amusement park history, so I ought to. It's an interesting mix of what most recognize today as an amusement park and older-fashioned "pleasure garden."  When some college friends and I did a whirlwind tour of western Europe, it was on my must-do list and I enjoyed it very much.  Most of the rides now are modern, although one standout was a 1914 roller coaster with a brakeman riding on every train.  I wondered whether it would be a relatively obscure answer, and it seems it was.  It probably could've used a brief explanation from the host.  Anyway, let's all get together in Copenhagen sometime! ;)

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Trey said:

It was the Little Mermaid that got me to the answer.  Where was the statue? Tivoli came to me first and then a couple of seconds later Gardens added itself.  I really amazed myself by getting it.

I'll have to tell the mister that his guess wasn't so far off. 🙂

• Love 1

No idea for FJ last night.  I knew it wasn't the Eiffel Tower, and figured that German castle that I can't spell or pronounce was a red herring, so I had nothing. 

I did get Mars, Mercury, and parochial, though.  

27 minutes ago, Kyle said:

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1384945027328053262

“We can finally tell you! Here is the final group of guest hosts to close out Season 37:

Robin Roberts

George Stephanopoulos

David Faber

Joe Buck

LeVar Burton!”

Yay, LeVar!

Had to google David Faber (CNBC financial reporter). Joe Buck I've heard on a podcast or something once, but other than that I'm not familiar with him (not much of a sports person).

• Love 1

Actually kept score tonight...

Round 1 - Got all the Schools and missed only one Dressmaker; Didn't get any TS but I did get the missed DD of Numbers. 60% for the round.

Round 2 - Got all the Page to Stage and Snooze Clues. Got the TS of Hamilton (I can't believe that was at TS!), "miles to go before I sleep," and also got the human genome DD. 80% for the round (what they got to, anyway; very annoyed they left five clues behind, especially since three of them were in a science category).

Final - They probably wouldn't have accepted "some kind of car"...

68% for the game.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I had to think about FJ for about half the music, but I got it in time to write it down.  And I get an asterisk!

I also got wading & wadding, Wampanoag, Hamilton, Burma, and "miles to go before I sleep."

Fun fact -- William & Mary might be the second-oldest college in the US, but it is the oldest university in the US.

ETA: I said just armor for that one -- do you suppose they would have accepted that, or do you suppose they wanted "body armor"?

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 5

I said Pontiac.  Probably not a household name, but I learned to drive on my parents' and then my first 3 cars were all Pontiacs.  So, that explains my answer.

I got the missed clues of biding and bidding, Ruth, John, wading and wading, Numbers and Hamilton (really surprised that was a ts).

I got the entire categories of D, Bible and the partial of newer words right.

I had a good night.  Oddly enough the only category I missed more than 2 clues was American History. that's usually totally my jam.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Fun fact -- William & Mary might be the second-oldest college in the US, but it is the oldest university in the US.

No, if I’m not mistaken, Harvard was chartered before William & Mary. However, the Wren Building is the oldest university building in the US, and it’s still in use.

Any Bible reference to Jesus is always New Testament, so definitely not Old Testament Exodus. I didn’t know which book, so I wouldn’t have gotten it, but I was pretty sure it was Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John.

Another asterisk and correct FJ for me tonight!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 3