Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got everything in “Dealio” and knew 4/5 in several others: close, but no cigar!  I got FJ before Anderson finished reading it.  The old joke is that letters 2-5 are all waiting in line.  I enjoyed the mix of subjects and found all the contestants very easy to root for.  I liked seeing Emily's big bet pay off.  She really pulled a few of those answers out of nowhere.

For “it precedes ‘feathers’ when you upset someone,” I said “horse[feathers].”  I guess I thought that interjection might come from the person I’d annoyed.  I think the judges would say “no,” because all the other correct responses were themselves "annoying words" (bug, bore, peeve, etc.) but I thought it was terribly cute anyway.

The 2003 California recall question was certainly topical.  I think the Secretary of State certified on Tuesday that proponents of a recall of the current governor had turned in enough signatures to qualify the issue for a vote, which will therefore likely occur around October.  I believe it will be only the fourth gubernatorial recall in U.S. history.  There are a few books I’d like to take out of the library about 2003, but the Wikipedia article about it is a good overview if this kind of thing interests you.  The top four candidates earned 96% of the vote, but there were over 125 others because the requirements to run in this kind of election are fairly permissive.  I, however, will not run if drafted, will not accept if nominated, and will not serve if elected. ;)

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 1

I'm going to be watching the NFL draft tonight, so it was another archive game for me.

I missed two child actors, so I was off to a bad start, and it didn't get any better; I only ran health and annoying words, missing seven total in the first round.  DJ was even worse; I only ran court, missing twelve clues (including the entire pop culture category).

FJ came to me very quickly, but, yikes, not my game.

Not an instaget FJ for me, but I got it.  I admit to running through the alphabet in my head until I got to the right letter/word.  That took about half the think music, but fortunately, it was not Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, so I had plenty of time left to write it down.

No TS for me!  Not that there were many to get -- what were there?  Two?

The new champ reminds me of Missi Pyle.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I knew there would be a hot priest question as soon as I saw the category. But aw, no one knew Andrew Scott.

I was ready if they wanted Fleabag, but no way was I getting the guy’s name.

• Love 2

Great game! I'm glad Emily's gutsy wager paid off. I hope she'll have a good run.

I knew nuncio and Moll Flanders, though I never read the book. For fun, here's the full title of the book:

The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the famous

MOLL FLANDERS,

who was born in Newgate and,
during a Life of Continu'd Variety
was Ten Year a Whore
Three Times Married
(of which once to her own Brother)
Seven Year a Thief
Three Year a Transported Felon in Virginia,
where she Reformed her ways and Died a Penitent

by
Daniel Defoe

• Love 3
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ by frantically going through the alphabet. 

Oh, 100%

I actually thought it was fairly easy as a FJ, because literally all you had to do was go through the alphabet and ask "Is this also a 5-letter word" until you hit Q.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Great game! I'm glad Emily's gutsy wager paid off. I hope she'll have a good run.

I knew nuncio and Moll Flanders, though I never read the book. For fun, here's the full title of the book:

I read it in college and it drove me nuts because it has no chapter divisions. I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO STOP!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I read [Moll Flanders] in college and it drove me nuts because it has no chapter divisions. I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO STOP!

Neither did she, if the synopsis-as-title GreekGeek posted is anything to go by. ;)

• LOL 3

I was distracted but the highlight of my day may have been the clue in Annoying Words: "To bug, intrude or pester, or as Winnie the Pooh's catchphrase goes, "Oh", this" to which I instantly replied: Bother!

It was an easy FJ, wasn't it?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:
15 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

To me, HH will always mean Horatio Hornblower.

Or Hubert Humphrey

Or, that man "who should have been president, Hubert Horatio Hornblower" --Jimmy Carter, 1980.

swanson.thumb.jpg.7161d882ac2c23df0a1ef403d39200b2.jpg

"All right Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up." --saber5055, 2021.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

To me, Moll Flanders will always call to mind a friend of mine from college, a Chemistry-Physics double major who had to read Moll Flanders as part of his liberal arts requirements.  The paper he wrote on the novel included several graphs, charting things like Moll's level of happiness, rate of sexual activity, distance traveled over time, and so forth.

He's a chemistry professor now, enjoying his life of not reading classic novels.

• LOL 10
13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I knew there would be a hot priest question as soon as I saw the category. But aw, no one knew Andrew Scott

I loved how Leah squeaked laughed out ‘yeah I know him as hot priest’ when Anderson asked if no one saw the show.  Same here, Leah!  
I was convinced that FJ would be ‘aerie’ but obviously I read the clue wrong!

Edited by LBS
  • Love 1

No ts's for me although I was this close to getting Moll Flanders.

FJ took me as long as it took to go from A to Q, so fairly quickly.

I like our gutsy new champ.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Trey said:

FJ took me as long as it took to go from A to Q, so fairly quickly.

I went from L straight to Q. L because of crossword puzzles these days, and Q because of having to create a lot of signs and instructions with the term "print queue" in my former life (and I still can't spell it without Google).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I knew there would be a hot priest question as soon as I saw the category. But aw, no one knew Andrew Scott.

I knew him, I love him, I couldn't remember his name. Loved him on Fleabag - and thought he was wonderfully crazy and evil  on Sherlock. Plus....hot!

19 hours ago, secnarf said:

Oh, 100%

I actually thought it was fairly easy as a FJ, because literally all you had to do was go through the alphabet and ask "Is this also a 5-letter word" until you hit Q.

Well, yes, it should have been easy. Unless you blow right past Q as you're reciting the alphabet...sigh.

17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Neither did she, if the synopsis-as-title GreekGeek posted is anything to go by. ;)

When we read it in college, my classmates and I tried to figure out how many children Moll had, and what happened to them. Never could come up with a precise answer.

On Wednesday, I knew each of the actors in "Their TV Roles" - but brain did not connect to mouth except for Ted Danson. Experienced the same thing on Thursday with "Child Actors." Very frustrating.

Same thing happened with DeMille in FJ. I could not bring any old time director to mind except for John Huston, and he didn't strike me as man who'd direct a biblically inspired movie - unless it was hidden inside a western.

Demille should have been a no brainer. But apparently, my brain was not just stalled, but in a different universe.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Ha. I'm old. When I think Hot Priest in a TV show, I think Richard Chamberlain in Thorn Birds

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, my, I second that emotion!

I third that emotion!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, opus said:

No Jeopardy in NYC area (Channel 7, ABC) due to NFL draft coverage.

It's not on my alternate channel, either. I AM MISSING AC's LAST SHOW FOR FOOTBALL?!?!?!?!?! 😡

6 minutes ago, mtbingmom said:

I found this on FB

30 mins  ·   · JEOPARDY FANS: Jeopardy will NOT air tonight, as ABC presents the NFLDraft. Tonight's episode of Jeopardy! will air as usual on Saturday night at 7 p.m. EST. 💙📺 https://7ny.tv/3vBVXNJ

Hopefully other ABC affiliates will do the same but for me tomorrow’s show is still showing up as a rerun. 

• Love 1

Another archive game for me, as I'm watching the NFL draft again.

The panther and polecat TS surprised me a bit, as did Vernon Jordan (since Vernon was spotted and they only had to come up with the last name) and no one even guessing jazz.

I ran Los Angeles, animals, and memoirs in the first round, and only missed one each in the other three, so I was back on track after yesterday's dismal performance.

Then came DJ.  I did not run a single category (although I might have run 3 Ps if I'd been able to see the picture), and missed ten total.

I didn't know FJ, either.

Hopefully the draft goes better for me than this game did.

• Love 1

Did not get FJ tonight, but once the correct response was revealed, I said, "D'oh!  Of course!"  Oh well!  4/5 ain't bad.

As for TS, I only got panther and polecat.  

Emily should have gotten a BMS for her Outer Banks response -- Hatteras is part of the Outer Banks.

• Love 1

Sorry all y'all who were pre-empted tonight. Been there many times myself.
Any chance they're airing it in the wee hours? 

8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Did not get FJ tonight, but once the correct response was revealed, I said, "D'oh!  Of course!"

Same here. But there was no way I was going to pull the Oz/Baum rabbit out of my hat/brain.
If Mom had ever gone on Jeopardy, she could have answered absolutely anything in that FJ category of BOOKS & AUTHORS.

I got TS jazz and was really surprised it was a TS, but judging by the incorrect guess, maybe that's just because I'm old.

The third guy managed to do as well as many others have in the past who did not go into the red so many times, both for incorrect answers and for no answers. I guess he figured being quick on the buzzer was his only chance?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I scrolled through on my channel guide but I didn't see it (ABC out of NYC). The TV listings list a rerun from last season for tomorrow, but I'll check and see if they play tonight's instead. I scored myself from the archive and didn't even hit 50%. Bleh. Still want to watch if I can.

• Love 1

On the way to work this morning I heard "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" on the radio and had it stuck in my head all day. I had just got it out of my head about 30 minutes before Jeopardy. Then we had the time travel movie category, which of course led to Bill and Ted, and the return of the earworm.

If you are in DC area, it will be on 2:06 am. 

I looked up the  FJ question and got it right! Back in high school, I read the entire series (I still remember getting the books from the library). So you know I was one of the cool kids in school. 

• Love 4

Friday's FJ was an example of it's-so-EIYKI for me. I grew up looking at, and reading as I got older, my mom's Baum books. I was fascinated by the wonderful illustrations by John R. Neill and W.W. Denslow. No doubt that helped fuel my future, with a college major in decorative illustration and career as a children's book illustrator. The names listed in the clue I didn't recognize, but they were so L. Frank Baum-esque, the answer could have been no other.

Those books are now on my bookshelf, although they are timeworn and tired. As am I.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Loved him on Fleabag

Remember when a contestant once answered "Dirtbag" instead of "Fleabag"? It was one of those historic Jeopardy comedy moments.

• LOL 2

The guide on my TV (I'm in NYC) said the show would be a rerun from January 2020, so I didn't bother tuning in. Those who did see the pre-empted episode, what happened?

• Useful 1

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

The guide on my TV (I'm in NYC) said the show would be a rerun from January 2020, so I didn't bother tuning in. Those who did see the pre-empted episode, what happened?

Yeah, they never updated the guide. Returning champ Emily won.

image.png

On 4/30/2021 at 5:20 PM, shapeshifter said:

They ran it after the 10 o'clock news here. Fortunately, we always record (not that the recordings always work - especially with live football games).

I never read any of Baum's books, so I was lost. The closest I came was reading Wicked. I did watch the movie over and over again.

I ran Time Traveling Movies - which wasn't too much of a surprise. Time travel stories are my favorite.

I watched David Grohl's competition with the little girl on YouTube. She was amazing!

Lemmings was easy (it was in the right category) but part of the reason we got it is that the mister used to play this 8 bit video game called Lemmings. My oldest, who was maybe 4 at the time, used to get so upset when the little lemmings exploded in their 8 bit glory. She's a sensitive soul. 💖

• Love 4
13 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Guide, shmide.  Friday's pre-empted episode in New York was on Saturday. 

It was a great game!

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, they never updated the guide. Returning champ Emily won.

image.png

Now I'm sad that I didn't stick around to see if the guide was wrong. Thank you for the info.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GreekGeek said:

Now I'm sad that I didn't stick around to see if the guide was wrong. Thank you for the info.

My dad was watching the Kentucky Derby so I brought my plate into the kitchen at 6:58 and stood at the counter until the first commercial, then he turned it on in the living room. I really just wanted to see Anderson's last day. He said something about how Alex made it look so easy but it really wasn't. :) 

• Love 2