Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Once you mentioned it, I watched it back and it did look an awful lot to me like "thumb and index in a circle, other fingers flat," which I understand to mean "white power."  I don't know "love" on its own, but I think "I love you" in ASL is "thumb extended, middle and ring fingers down, shake a little."

I noticed a similar gesture on earlier shows but thought he was just holding his hand to his heart innocuously.  His Facebook cover photo shows Sinatra making the similar "OK" gesture, but if that's what you're doing, you hold it up, not to your chest.

A friend suggested he might have been signaling "three," as in "three wins," but I don't know, why not just hold up three fingers?    I've never seen "three" indicated that way.  If it is the supremacist symbol, how vile.

Ew at best it’s obnoxious; at worst blatantly racist.  I’m glad he lost.  He was so stunned he missed the DD that it affected the rest of his game 🙄

• LOL 1

Had they known Joe Buck was going to guest host, they could have saved the Jon Voight clue (about playing a character named Joe Buck in Midnight Cowboy) for his run.

The enzyme and turquoise TS surprised me.

Since I'm hit and miss with pop culture categories, I was excited to be running the singers category as the first round came to an end, but then I joined the contestants in being stumped by Pitbull.  I had a great first round, missing four.  I even managed to only miss two in Zeus (a fantastic performance for me in any religion/mythology category).  But the last one I missed was the cat TS in kings.  I, Bastet, did not get cat!  I think I'm going to be stripped of my powers for that one. 

I did even better in DJ (it's usually the opposite), only missing three (two books and one explorer).

And FJ was an instaget, so I had a great game all around - a relief after last night's performance.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Are you saying that’s a known thing? Like NY Times Monday crossword puzzles being easier?

No, it's just my personal experience. I got Tuesday's FJ, as well, but having grown up in Miami, it wasn't that hard.

I said "Rom" instead of gypsy.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Useful 1

I managed FJ, after I managed to expel Okeefenokee out of my mind.

I missed Zeus's transformation into a bull - as I couldn't get the swan out of my mind (that was Zeus, right?)

I almost ran Cities - but for some reason I choke on Australian cities.

I did okay on the boards, but nothing to write home about (just the forum instead)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I missed Zeus's transformation into a bull - as I couldn't get the swan out of my mind (that was Zeus, right?)

Yes, it was Zeus, with Leda.

I didn't really care for Kelly and I am quite happy with the new champ.

My ts's were cat, Vancouver, and turquoise. 

Not quite an instaget FJ but I got it pretty quickly.  Once I got it, it seemed like a WECIB answer.

On Monday's show, I said Damascus for FJ but Istanbul was obvious in hindsight.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

If I'd had time to think, I might have gotten that one. Tim Minchin has a song that mentions Cottesloe ("Carry You," which is now stuck in my head) and he grew up in Perth.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, dcalley said:

I am disappointed the show didn't catch it and make him refilm or just edit it out in post.

I've now been reminded (elsewhere) that Jeopardy banned wagers that are white supremacist symbols. Was this gesture not on their radar somehow?

I had no idea that the champ did anything that could be construed as offensive until I saw it all over the internet this morning.  I was not even aware that there was such a thing as that signal.  I was just happy that there was a new champion- I like her.

I only knew that the more common term for Roma was considered offensive because there was another Jeopardy! clue about it a few months ago and I remembered the backlash that happened at that time.  

Maybe I am just getting old but it is really hard to keep up with which words are now considered offensive.  It seems that you just get used to a new acceptable term and it changes again.   I was not particularly fond of Kelly, but maybe he was just referencing his 3 wins.  

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I had no idea that the champ did anything that could be construed as offensive until I saw it all over the internet this morning

Thanks for posting this. I was feeling responsible for asking about it here, but I guess it wasn’t just me.

Anyway, I still think it’s very likely that Awkward Kelly (who managed to turn 2 interview quips about his beloved wife upside down) was just showing his number of wins— especially because I think Jeopardy folks like us tend to be awkward nerds rather than private militia members.

And even more thanks for @ams1001’s post below. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Maybe I am just getting old but it is really hard to keep up with which words are now considered offensive.  It seems that you just get used to a new acceptable term and it changes again.   I was not particularly fond of Kelly, but maybe he was just referencing his 3 wins.  

Problem is, that gesture has been around forever as something completely innocuous. 

For what it's worth, this is apparently what he posted on facebook (though I can't find his actual page; screenshot is from this article).

image.png.fe7f0538982a66621718fc1a8d090bb1.png

• Useful 3
  • Love 16

My thought process for FJ tonight: "Wait, it had to be that guy who directed The Ten Commandments!  Who was that?  Ummmmm, De-something....  Oh, I got it, DeMille!"  And all that happened in about 15 seconds, so I had plenty of time to write it down.

Is it wrong that I'm not sad that Hari didn't win?  But WTH with that wager by the new champ?  If now-former champ had bet it all, she would have won!  I get why she didn't bet it all, but why didn't the new champ bet it all?

TS I got include Bridgegate, New York City, silver lining, and Judith Light.

• Love 5

I said Charlton Heston for FJ.  I don't know directors and, hey, sometimes actors direct, too.

I got the missed clues of silver lining and Judith Light.

I did horribly in the first round missing the entire partial categories of landfill and look at this, but did better in DJ and got the entire category of authors right.

I had no idea 1488 was a white supremacist number.  or 88.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Is it wrong that I'm not sad that Hari didn't win?  But WTH with that wager by the new champ?  If now-former champ had bet it all, she would have won!  I get why she didn't bet it all, but why didn't the new champ bet it all?

She clearly didn't have a lot of confidence in the category.  She assumed Hari would bet it all, so if they both got it right it's a tie and basically a coin toss for winner (I know not actually).  So, she assumed he would probably bet it all and altered her game to just play against the champ. she wagered just enough so that if they were both wrong and the champ bet nothing, she would still win.  So, basically her wagering strategy involved everyone getting it wrong or wagering nothing.

It's easy to say what people should wager, but we don't know their confidence level in any given category.  I probably would have bet 0 on this category regardless of scores, and I would have been right to do so.

9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

TS I got include Bridgegate

I said cargate.  I had the right idea.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

My thought process for FJ tonight: "Wait, it had to be that guy who directed The Ten Commandments!  Who was that?  

...that's as far as I got.

13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

TS I got include Bridgegate, New York City, silver lining, and Judith Light.

I wasn't keeping score but I know I got all of those (I live in NJ...couldn't escape hearing about Bridgegate!). Though NYC was a guess.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

so if they both got it right it's a tie and basically a coin toss for winner (I know not actually).

It's a tie-breaker question -- generally the person who can buzz in more quickly (and give the correct response, of course) wins.  So she'd have a fair shot if they tied.  I almost wish former champ had bet it all, though before the commercial, I encouraged her to bet nothing.

I got everything in America Before 1800 and TV Roles.  No love for Judith Light?  Come on!  It was nice to see Auden mentioned too: I see his face daily, on a plaque near my apartment.  I knew FJ before they were done reading the clue, but I bombed out entirely on the football category.  So on the whole, not a bad day for me.

Those gaps between response and acknowledgment did seem particularly long again.  Leah even seemed to think she had said something wrong on "Midland" because Anderson didn't answer promptly.  And we didn't clear either board today!  Urgh.

It was bittersweet to see Mills College mentioned.  Six weeks ago, after I assume this episode had been taped, they announced that they will no longer confer degrees, although they hope to remain active as some sort of learning institution.

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

For what it's worth, this is apparently what [Kelly] posted on facebook.

Yes, he posted that earlier today, before removing everything public later.  I don't make a habit of looking up contestants on social media, but I was curious given the controversy and I think public posts are fair game.

Frankly, I just don't believe his explanation.  His own choice of cover photo, and some comments from friends about his political ideology on the few posts he had public about the show, seemed to link him circumstantially with the unsavory meaning of the gesture: if nothing else, he certainly knows what it means.  "Three" gives him plausible deniability, but I don't think you just put up an index finger for "one," an index and middle for "two," and then a relatively unusual and non sequitur configuration for "three."

I absolutely think it is telling that his comments did not directly address the ideology.  If I learned that folks thought I had associated myself with white supremacy but it was all just an awful misunderstanding, the first thing out of my mouth if I chose to make a statement would be a repudiation of that ideology.  He just has the whiff of a troll about him to me, and I bet he's having a good laugh at all the folks he thinks he's "triggered," like his friends were before he locked his profile down.  (I do think the crude and foul-mouthed people who went there to spar with his loved ones were out of line too.)  Maybe I'm dead wrong.  So be it.

Finally (I promise), regardless of his intentions, while I understand that the gesture has had an innocuous meaning for much longer, I think the other meaning is not so obscure that it shouldn't've been on the radar of the same people looking out for wagers ending in "69" or "88" and so on.  If so many different laypeople had the same thought at home, this could, and should, have been caught by someone in the studio or post-prod, and some adjustment made.  Mike Richards gets paid a lot of money to hire the right people so nobody at Sony has to wake up and see that "Jeopardy white power" is trending.  I'm a certified grouch, but even before this, I was thinking that there are an awful lot of silly gestures and faces lately, and perhaps they ought to just smile and nod when their names are announced.  Maybe that would be a great idea to implement right away.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It's a tie-breaker question -- generally the person who can buzz in more quickly (and give the correct response, of course) wins.  So she'd have a fair shot if they tied.  I almost wish former champ had bet it all, though before the commercial, I encouraged her to bet nothing.

yes, I know.  that's why I called it a coin toss.  It all comes down to who can buzz in faster and there's not a lot of way to predict that. I think she wagered wisely assuming she didn't have much confidence, and she did win, so I'm not wrong:)

• Love 1

When I saw the tie going into FJ, I thought: At least now I know how this works. So they should wager… Uh. Yeah. I got nothing. 

I was shocked at the TS of NYC. I guess none of them were L&O fans. 

Oy to the controversy. I can’t help wondering if this would not have happened when Alex was alive, and I’m glad it didn’t happen until my parents passed. 😢

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I finally found a screen shot of the gesture.  It's not the white power symbol, because the white power symbol is the OK symbol which he is not making because he has his fingers facing in instead of out.  Also, they showed the screen shots of him holding up one and two fingers the days before,.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Finally (I promise), regardless of his intentions, while I understand that the gesture has had an innocuous meaning for much longer, I think the other meaning is not so obscure that it shouldn't've been on the radar of the same people looking out for wagers ending in "69" or "88" and so on.  If so many different laypeople had the same thought at home, this could, and should, have been caught by someone in the studio or post-prod, and some adjustment made.  Mike Richards gets paid a lot of money to hire the right people so nobody at Sony has to wake up and see that "Jeopardy white power" is trending.  I'm a certified grouch, but even before this, I was thinking that there are an awful lot of silly gestures and faces lately, and perhaps they ought to just smile and nod when their names are announced.  Maybe that would be a great idea to implement right away.

Jeopardy made a contestant whose episode aired a month ago re-record her intro because she did bunny ears (Vice). They really dropped the ball here.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Is it wrong that I'm not sad that Hari didn't win?

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking this. I don't normally root against people, but he seemed so joyless, as if the whole experience was a horrible ordeal. I did feel bad when the audience laughed at his Mel Gibson FJ answer. Cecil B. DeMille isn't necessarily on your radar if you're young and not into old movies, and there haven't been many directors making Bible-based movies lately. Other than The Passion of the Christ and the one with Russell Crowe as Noah, have there been any live-action ones in the past 20 years?

The Florida Turnpike clue and the mention of Yeehaw Junction took me back to my life in Florida in the 90's. I wondered if Alligator Alley would have been an acceptable alternative answer, but apparently they're not the same. I also wasn't sure if Romania would have been accepted in place of Transylvania.

I had no idea about 88 having any particular connotations. 

• Love 5

Tonight will be the presidential address, so I just read the clues via the archive.

I'm bummed that Judith Light was a TS; I think she's one of TVs most underrated actors.  I got NYC even without the picture, so I'm a bit surprised by that TS.

I started off very well again; I only missed one each in America, Hebrew, and Look At That in the first round, running everything else.  In DJ, though, I only ran AU.  I missed three authors, two actors, two clouds, two chemistry clues, and one hoard.

FJ was not quite an instaget, but came to me quickly.

38 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I absolutely think it is telling that his comments did not directly address the ideology.  If I learned that folks thought I had associated myself with white supremacy but it was all just an awful misunderstanding, the first thing out of my mouth if I chose to make a statement would be a repudiation of that ideology.

I agree (as do the 450 former contestants who signed the letter criticizing producers for failing to edit out "gypsies" [and using it themselves in several clues] and that gesture), so thank you for sharing that his social media contained problematic posts and photos.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I did feel bad when the audience laughed at his Mel Gibson FJ answer.

I don't like it when they laugh at any answer unless it was obviously meant to be a throwaway joke.

But this begs the question, is there an audience, or did the show actually add laughter?  If so, that's cold.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But this begs the question, is there an audience, or did the show actually add laughter?  If so, that's cold.

There is still no audience.  I agree that it seemed a little mean-spirited.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

Jeopardy made a contestant whose episode aired a month ago re-record her intro because she did bunny ears (Vice). They really dropped the ball here.

@Katy M, I suggest you look at the Vice link @dcalleyposted in the quote above. Scroll down to the photo of the Three Percenters, then compare that hand signal to Kelly's. If you have doubts after that, then abandon all hope ye who enter here.

I wonder what would happen if one of the "forbidden" wagers was the only logical wager a player could make that would have them win the game.  I'm talking about a scenario where everyone makes the most obvious wager and the forbidden number would give someone a $1 advantage.  I would imagine that could be legally troubling to the show.  (Although I'm sure the contestants sign all kinds of waivers agreeing to abide by whatever rules the show puts forth.)  Still, I imagine if you prevented a contestant from making the wager they wanted and they lose and the other wager would have won the game, a fairly big stink could be made. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I wonder what would happen if one of the "forbidden" wagers was the only logical wager a player could make that would have them win the game.  I'm talking about a scenario where everyone makes the most obvious wager and the forbidden number would give someone a $1 advantage.  I would imagine that could be legally troubling to the show.  (Although I'm sure the contestants sign all kinds of waivers agreeing to abide by whatever rules the show puts forth.)  Still, I imagine if you prevented a contestant from making the wager they wanted and they lose and the other wager would have won the game, a fairly big stink could be made. 

I don't remember anything specific about offensive dollar amounts in the legal documents I signed before the show.

However, in the discussion after signing the docs and before going into makeup, they mentioned that certain numbers could not be used for bets. All I remember at the moment is 1488, 666, and 69.

In Final Jeopardy, when you write your bet on the screen, the staff look at it, to be sure that your writing is legible. If someone used one of the disallowed numbers (or their bet would cause a result of a disallowed number if you got FJ right or wrong), they would correct you then and there. The show is paused for a commercial, so they could delay as long as they want to fix the issue.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

In Final Jeopardy, when you write your bet on the screen, the staff look at it, to be sure that your writing is legible. If someone used one of the disallowed numbers (or their bet would cause a result of a disallowed number if you got FJ right or wrong), they would correct you then and there. The show is paused for a commercial, so they could delay as long as they want to fix the issue.

I hate to say it, but that sounds almost like the game is (or could be) fixed if staff members are allowed to "correct" people's wagers in FJ. 

As for the writing being legible, I can definitely recall instances of the writing being illegible (IMO, anyway) and even Alex having to pause because he couldn't make out what was written. 

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

As for the writing being legible, I can definitely recall instances of the writing being illegible (IMO, anyway) and even Alex having to pause because he couldn't make out what was written. 

The staff are concerned that the amount that you are wagering is legible. What you write as your Final Jeopardy question is between you and Alex (or whoever is hosting).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Bulldog said:

None of the forbidden numbers end in a 1 or 0, so I doubt it could happen.  I wonder what would happen, though if a player's 2 day total came out to 1488.  Would they just list it as 1487 or 1489 when they announced the contestants?

I tend to believe him he just meant three, nothing else.  And people we don't know except based on a tv game show  I think deserve the benefit of the doubt rather than declaring them white supremacists based on worst case scenario interpretations of numbers flashed on tv.  As I stated before lots of people flash ',3' that way and mean 3, nothing else.  

But I'm sure now jeopardy will tell people they can't do it anymore. And I'm sure the mods are wanting us to move on too

And I actually thought mel gibson too because I couldn't think of cecille b demille.  I've seen much crazier wrong answers in the show.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I did feel bad when the audience laughed at his Mel Gibson FJ answer.

I thought he laughed along with them --like he knew it was wrong and maybe even thought it would get a laugh. No?
Of course, he would have looked sad too, having not won.
Cecil B. DeMille's name was just beyond the reach of my aging mind, but as soon as the previous champ flipped her card and I saw the name, I knew that was the name I was trying to recall before Anderson said it was correct.
But I haven't reached a point at which I'm counting that as a correct answer for me. ;)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I turned off the show before the end because I couldn't tolerate Hari.  Glad he didn’t win.  WRT the “offensive sign”, lighten up Francis. Although I believe using the last 3 fingers to signal 3 looks stupid.  Use the index, middle, and ring fingers like grown ups do. I feel the same way about people who hold forks or pens with the pen or fork resting on the ring finger and gripped by the first two.  That’s how children eat before they are taught properly.

I am out of sorts this morning.

• Love 2

I came up with all 3 DDs, NYC, and Judith Light. I enjoyed seeing Leah do so well in the penalties category. I just wish AC could rule more quickly as I get annoyed when the boards are not cleared. In the dark recesses of my mind I know the answer was DeMille for FJ, but I couldn’t bring it up front in fast enough to write it so no FJ for me today. 

• Love 4

Politics is not allowed on these forums unless it's specifically discussed in an episode. This includes guest hosts and their political opinions or background. Posts have been removed.

• Love 2

I missed last night's episode.  It was on at 10 pm instead of the usual 7 pm and I forgot to tune in.  I did check the final clue and I got it right away. 

When I had my auditions and was asked for 5 anecdotes I never thought to mention kissing the Blarney Stone.  I figure that is pretty common  for anyone who has visited Ireland, and a lot of contestants have done extensive travel. I'm still waiting for my call, but two of the people from my Zoom audition have been on the show so I am pretty sure it isn't going to happen. I thought I had a better chance back in the fall when most of the contestants were from Southern California or within driving distance (I am in Las Vegas).

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When I saw the tie going into FJ, I thought: At least now I know how this works. So they should wager… Uh. Yeah. I got nothing. 

Oy to the controversy. I can’t help wondering if this would not have happened when Alex was alive, and I’m glad it didn’t happen until my parents passed. 😢

I clicked the laughing icon for your L&O statement.  Really!

I ran the American History category!  I knew Judith Light and I got FJ in a half second.  Not so sure about the rest of the game.  <shrug>

I'm gonna have to go look up what 88 means. Perhaps I knew, but it's not relevant to me or anyone I know, so I may have forgotten it on purpose.

Thinking about slur, y'know, I think Romani Rose Lee is actually a better stripper name than Gypsy Rose Lee.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

The 14/88 thing is also not recent. I first heard of white power groups using it in the mid-1990s. That is a well-established code that is actually used to only mean one thing and was created by them. The OK sign , I don’t know… that was started by alt-right groups to troll people. I feel like actually now saying that it’s only a WP symbol that no one can use is giving those groups way too much power they don’t deserve. What if they next decide that they’re going to use the V-fingers peace sign as their next code? It’s just as random and innocuous as the OK symbol. Are we supposed to say, “No more peace signs now!” It’s no different.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Although I believe using the last 3 fingers to signal 3 looks stupid.  Use the index, middle, and ring fingers like grown ups do.

Tell that to the Three Percenters. You can find them via a Google search, something Jeopardy watchers who like to learn things should do. You'll find photos of how they can recognize each other!

On 4/28/2021 at 9:15 AM, Clanstarling said:

Zeus was really into "seducing" women in the form of animals.  Yeah, Greek mythology is all kinds of f-ed up in so very many ways.  And I love it.

On 4/28/2021 at 9:15 AM, Clanstarling said:

I'm currently in a serious Australian phase, so that one was easy for me.  And yet, I missed the clue about Canberra the other week because I was trying to make Sydney the capital of Australia AND spell it with a C.  Oy.

20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Is it wrong that I'm not sad that Hari didn't win?

Nope, I'm thrilled he didn't.  He was slow and really didn't seem like he wanted to be there.  Which I know is highly unlikely, but he really lacked any energy at all.

I knew Cecil B. DeMille right away.  He directed a lot of biblical epics, including both a silent and sound version of The Ten Commandments.

20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Seems like we've seen that alleyway for a thousand different murders, lol.

20 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Finally (I promise), regardless of his intentions, while I understand that the gesture has had an innocuous meaning for much longer, I think the other meaning is not so obscure that it shouldn't've been on the radar of the same people looking out for wagers ending in "69" or "88" and so on.

Well, it's obscure as hell to me.  So is the wagering thing.  Not that I'd have wagered anything that didn't end in 0, but if your birthday or anniversary ended in 88 and you wanted to use it, that sucks.

17 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I don't remember anything specific about offensive dollar amounts in the legal documents I signed before the show.

However, in the discussion after signing the docs and before going into makeup, they mentioned that certain numbers could not be used for bets. All I remember at the moment is 1488, 666, and 69.

Wow, none of that happened when I was on the show.  Nobody checked our handwriting at all.

29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Tell that to the Three Percenters. You can find them via a Google search, something Jeopardy watchers who like to learn things should do. You'll find photos of how they can recognize each other!

No way in hell am I googling anything to do with white supremacy.  I can only imagine the crap I'd start getting on my computer.  

3 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

The 14/88 thing is also not recent. I first heard of white power groups using it in the mid-1990s. That is a well-established code that is actually used to only mean one thing and was created by them. The OK sign , I don’t know… that was started by alt-right groups to troll people. I feel like actually now saying that it’s only a WP symbol that no one can use is giving those groups way too much power they don’t deserve. What if they next decide that they’re going to use the V-fingers peace sign as their next code? It’s just as random and innocuous as the OK symbol. Are we supposed to say, “No more peace signs now!” It’s no different.

It may not be recent, but it's not anything I've heard of until just now.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

The 8th letter of the alphabet is H.

So?  I'm not being snarky - I really don't understand the significance.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

88 = HH = Heil Hitler

Ah.  Wow to go assholes, ruin my favorite.  Crap, I meant my favorite number!  I gotta remember to read the post more than once before hitting save.

To me, HH will always mean Horatio Hornblower.

Edited by proserpina65
Number, number, number!
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4