Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, Driad said:

Some ranger, when asked what Tetons meant, suggested "sweater girl mountains."

LOL, but thanks a lot (not) for that visual that will be in my head from now on. Like all the alien women in the original Star Trek ...

• LOL 4

Another day, another FJ category where I knew I was in trouble, and indeed, I missed it again today.  I hope Jeff cuts out the swaying tomorrow.

I did get several TS/missed DD including brow, coax, Sojourner Truth, Nellie Bly, and Bering Sea.  I got Nellie Bly just from the photo.

• Love 2
(edited)

Hearing "ain't I a woman" in association with Sojourner Truth has bugged me since I learned that contemporaneous accounts and transcriptions of her remarkable speech did not include that phrase.  It was invented a decade later by a white writer who significantly altered the speech so it was rendered in an approximation of the vernacular of southern slaves.  Truth, however, never spoke in that dialect, nor did she make other comments that the white writer created out of whole cloth as a reflection of her own beliefs about women's rights.  Her heart was in the right place, I'm sure, but I think it's too bad that it's her words put into Truth's mouth that have become iconic, not Truth's own.  Here is a comparison of the, well, truth, and the later embellishment.

I had heard of the passages referred to in Final but couldn't quite place them.  I guess I can't complain that they were very obscure since 2/3 onstage knew it, and I understand arguments about the Bible as literature, but I just have never liked seeing details of Judeo-Christian religious texts presented as "general knowledge" as frequently as they are on this show.  And I swear it's not just sour grapes because I missed this one. ;)

I got everything under "Movie Theaters," since the cats who judge around here give me credit if I'm between two answers and don't pick one in time. ;)  I was hoping for clues about nonfictional cinemas, which might have gone really well for me, rather than "theaters from the movies," but it was definitely creative.  I recently researched all the to-do around Chaney's "Phantom" when it was first released at theaters in my city and wrote an article about it, so thank goodness I got that one.

I couldn't think of Ma Barker, so I said "Ma Bell."  I suppose the phone company's not quite a criminal family.  I think they should relax with the canned audience noise.  What was with the rapturous applause at the end of DJ?  Maybe the sound engineer really likes the Sea of Azov?

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I got Nellie Bly just from the photo.

I hadn't heard that story about her and I can't think where I've seen that photo, but I did too!  I was shocked.  I associate her more readily with "Around the World in 72 Days."

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I suppose the phone company's not quite a criminal family.

Have you seen the 1967 movie "The President's Analyst"?

• LOL 1

I got all the DDs, and FJ (I'd call it an educated guess but it was more of an "🤷‍♀️ it makes sense" guess).

I read about Nellie Bly not super long ago (she's mentioned in the book Damnation Island by Stacey Horn). Also got Sojourner Truth (I thought Tubman first but changed my mind) and Java Sea. Maybe some others but I got home and from my second covid shot and settled just in time for the game and I was still too keyed up from anxiety to bother keeping track, and didn't feel like going back through the archive. 

• Love 5

For FJ I first thought Ecclesiastes, but then, right at the last minute thought Proverbs, so I don’t know what my final answer really was.

Likewise, I knew Harriette Tubman didn’t sound right, but I probably would have gone with it.

9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Hearing "ain't I a woman" in association with Sojourner Truth has bugged me since I learned that contemporaneous accounts and transcriptions of her remarkable speech did not include that phrase.  It was invented a decade later by a white writer who significantly altered the speech so it was rendered in an approximation of the vernacular of southern slaves. 

I was actually glad to learn several years ago that she didn't actually say it because it always bothered me. The combination of stereotype and rendered dialect sprained my rolling eyeballs.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, ABay said:
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Hearing "ain't I a woman" in association with Sojourner Truth has bugged me since I learned that contemporaneous accounts and transcriptions of her remarkable speech did not include that phrase.  It was invented a decade later by a white writer who significantly altered the speech so it was rendered in an approximation of the vernacular of southern slaves. 

I was actually glad to learn several years ago that she didn't actually say it because it always bothered me. The combination of stereotype and rendered dialect sprained my rolling eyeballs.

Wikipedia (wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain't_I_a_Woman%3F#Different_versions) gives many good references, including a link comparing the 2 versions: https://www.thesojournertruthproject.com/compare-the-speeches

The clue should have at least been changed from:

• In an 1851 speech this formerly enslaved abolitionist & a feminist wondered, "Ain't I a woman?"

to:

• A paraphrase of an 1851 speech by this formerly enslaved abolitionist & a feminist asks "Ain't I a woman?"
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did get several TS/missed DD including brow, coax, Sojourner Truth, Nellie Bly, and Bering Sea.  I got Nellie Bly just from the photo.

I did too. When I was younger I did quite a lot of reading about Nellie Bly, in particular her stint undercover in the psychiatric hospital.

I ran Outlaws and In-Laws and the Movie Theater categories (I had just watched "The Shape of Water" or I wouldn't have).

Wasn't there a question about Burr recently? In pretty much the same phrasing?

• Love 1

Contestants should only be given points if they say Aaron Burr as if they have a mouthful of peanut butter.

As I know several of us did at home.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, ABay said:

Contestants should only be given points if they say Aaron Burr as if they have a mouthful of peanut butter.

As I know several of us did at home.

I said "Burr, sir."

• Love 4
(edited)
37 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I said "Burr, sir."

I did also! 

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I still think there’s a writer who is obsessed  with Hamilton. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 7

I got FJ.

I got the missed clues of ambulance, Weekend Edition, Wisconsin, Franklin Pierce, Solomon and Bolivia (which was a guess).

I got the entire categories of Napoleon, American History and repeat right.

I got ambulance (that felt really easy and I was surprised he missed it) and Wisconsin (I don't know how I knew that, except Menominee sounded like it would be in Wisconsin). Also got Sikhism (the third DD, which was also missed). How often do they miss all three DDs?

"Menominee" put this in my head.

Whatever that means...

You're welcome.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

This is the 3rd time Bill Whitaker has suggested something good will happen (continue the high-winnings streak) and the opposite occurred.

• Dear Bill, 
    Please do not make any more predictions. 
    Sincerely,
    shapeshifter

But wow, yesterday's big winner was a terrible loser today --so disheartened that it was hard to watch as he kept ringing in with wrong questions and then obviously mentally beating himself up. 

I was shocked that none of them chimed in with "Weekend Edition." But maybe since the clue was "Bj Leiderman wrote themes for NPR programs like "Morning Edition" & this Saturday & Sunday counterpart," it might just mean they only listen to NPR when commuting (in the Before Times) during the week.

Thanks, @ams1001, Muppets scatting makes me smile. 😊

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

(I had just watched "The Shape of Water" or I wouldn't have).

I saw The Shape of Water at the theater but that didn't keep me from missing that clue.

I'll bet Dave from Milwaukee was cursing his bad luck buzzer that he didn't get the DD with Oshkosh and Menominee in the clue. And obviously Jeff isn't an aviation fan, the Oshkosh Fly-In (EAA AirVenture Oshkosh) is a HUGE deal for aeronautic fans. And yes, I've been to it!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But wow, yesterday's big winner was a terrible loser today --so disheartened that it was hard to watch as he kept ringing in with wrong questions and then obviously mentally beating himself up. 

I normally never root against a teacher, but I kept thinking what a bad example on how to handle disappointment he was setting for any of his kids who happened to be watching. 

• Love 4

During last night's game, I was in the grips of some sort of stomach bug, so my performance was quite underwhelming.  Today everything is gone other than a reduced appetite (which I could stand to have a for a few days!) and low-grade fever, so I was hoping to do well.

I wasn't off to a great start, missing two films, two writers, and even a stupid answer, but as the first round went on I got in my groove and ran the rest.  In DJ, I was quite consistent - I missed one in every single category.  FJ was an instaget.

So I guess I really am feeling better, and have to blame laziness rather than my temperature for not wanting to do anything.

Like @shapeshifter, my mind was boggled when no one sussed out Weekend Edition

And I thought the Pony Express clue was overvalued in DJ, since mail and horse were right there in the clue.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Wisconsin (I don't know how I knew that, except Menominee sounded like it would be in Wisconsin).

I didn't know the location of the Menominee tribe, but I knew Oshkosh is a city in Wisconsin.  Now I know the origin of its name.

• Love 5

Anyone else remember Oshkosh b’gosh, adverts from years ago? I remember one of my grandpas wore Oshkosh overalls. Anyway, that’s how I came up with Wisconsin.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Anyone else remember Oshkosh b’gosh, adverts from years ago? I remember one of my grandpas wore Oshkosh overalls. Anyway, that’s how I came up with Wisconsin.  

That was how I figured it out. (I didn't realize B'gosh was part of the brand name; I thought it was a slogan.)

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I saw The Shape of Water at the theater but that didn't keep me from missing that clue.

Ah, but I literally just saw it - like within the last few weeks. So I retained enough from it to get it, even so, it wasn't an instaget.

I got FJ, even though I had no idea there had been a World's Fair in Seattle. It's probably because we're re-watching Frasier and we see the Space Needle outlined in the intro all the time. So I just extrapolated from "space needle." (I went up it once. Since I'm not keen on heights, it wasn't my best experience.)

Otherwise, my game was unremarkable. I blame it on being tired...yeah, that's it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
On 5/12/2021 at 7:54 AM, Clanstarling said:

I did too. When I was younger I did quite a lot of reading about Nellie Bly, in particular her stint undercover in the psychiatric hospital.

I ran Outlaws and In-Laws and the Movie Theater categories (I had just watched "The Shape of Water" or I wouldn't have).

I got the Nellie Bly right only because Drunk History did a skit on their show about it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Ah, but I literally just saw it - like within the last few weeks. So I retained enough from it to get it, even so, it wasn't an instaget.

I got FJ, even though I had no idea there had been a World's Fair in Seattle. It's probably because we're re-watching Frasier and we see the Space Needle outlined in the intro all the time. So I just extrapolated from "space needle." (I went up it once. Since I'm not keen on heights, it wasn't my best experience.)

Those familiar with the origin and history of the Space Needle might say that it and the 1962 World’s Fair are synonymous, as that was the reason for its creation. I knew this, yet I had to think for a moment on FJ as well. 

I’ve never been up it (Space Needle), although I have gone up inside the Washington Monument, and also the CN Tower in Toronto. The latter gave me vertigo, so I can sympathize. 🙂

• Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, SyracuseMug said:

I’ve never been up it (Space Needle), although I have gone up inside the Washington Monument, and also the CN Tower in Toronto. The latter gave me vertigo, so I can sympathize. 🙂

I've been in the Space Needle; don't remember it bothering me. Or the Washington Monument. But if you want a real case of vertigo, try the St. Louis arch. You can look out the window and see underneath where you are standing ... a zillion feet up in the air. That's a treat.

Vertigo hit me hard in the middle of the Royal Gorge bridge. I had to be carried off.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was about five when we went to St. Louis and up in the arch.  I have no recollection of whether or not I was scared about it, but I don't think so.  It was pretty cool.  A couple of years later, it was the Washington Monument -- not scary at all.  Fast forward many years, and I walked up the 5,948 steps to the top of St. Paul's cathedral in London (yes, I know I'm exaggerating the number of steps -- it just seemed like that many), and was quite terrified at the top.  I stayed just long enough to take a photo or two.

I've been to Seattle, but we didn't go up in the Space Needle.

• Love 2

@Browncoat St.Paul Cathedral is also where I discovered that I a horrible fear of falling.  I managed to get a few pics but my hands were so sweaty and shaking that they are blurry.  I had to keep my back against the wall and practically inched my way around.  I then discovered I get claustrophobic walking down stairs in a circle.  Not the best time!😂.  

• Love 4
(edited)

The space needle very slowly spins if you're in the top, if I recall correctly, so walking around in it is a bit funky.  

The building formerly known as sears tower, much higher than the space needle, part of it is glass bottomed, can look straight down from it.  

The arch it's all just an odd angle and a bit cramped at the top I recall 

Have not been in the washington monument.  For that when we were there you had to get in line or sign up at like 6 am.  Too early on vacation with 2 kids 

Edited by DrSpaceman73

Not a bad night...

Ran Pies, Science, and History

TS: transuranium & equifax

DD: got two (didn't come up with Holland Tunnel, even though living in NJ I've been through it plenty of times; just blanked)

FJ = instaget

Been singing the Winnie the Pooh theme song for the last half hour.

• Love 1

Archive game for me, since I'll be watching something else tonight.  So I gave myself a couple of gets for clues I missed, being sure I'd have come up with them had I been able to see the photo hint in the clue (e.g. I'd have recognized Mo Rocca from his picture, but couldn't come up with him based on the text).

I only ran pies, sins, and books in the first round, but only missed one each in the other three.  In DJ, I ran history, first names, and "light", and only missed five among the others (including only two in opera, which is really good for me!), and FJ was an instaget (my friend wanted that as a graduation present one year, so I got it for her), so a great game for me.

Now I just need to get "One Headlight" out of my head.

• LOL 3

I said Horton Hatches an Egg which I'm pretty sure isn't a thing.

I got the ts of fiddlers three and Al Pacino.

I got the entire categories of Pies (no surprise there) and history class right.

• Love 2

Instaget FJ for me tonight!  But the only TS I got were fiddlers 3 and Equifax.  Someone kept texting/distracting me during DJ, so I didn't even get to see most of the clues.

26 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

OK, let me be the first to say it --------

These three contestants don't know diddley.

Hah. 
If I had just said "Bo" would it have been correct since the category was "2-LETTER FIRST NAMERS"? 
I'm pretty sure the last name would have followed with muscle memory if I was saying it out loud, but I was just thinking it.

• Love 1

I cannot believe that he blanked on The Holland Tunnel. I have never been to NYC and only flown in to Newark but I've seen enough Law and Order to know Holland Tunnel...Really??????

Also, FJ was an instaget for me even before the last word of the clue was read. 

I will say this, I used to run their TV and music categories but my taste must be changing or I'm getting older....I just don't know much about the last ten years or so....

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

I used to run their TV and music categories but my taste must be changing or I'm getting older....I just don't know much about the last ten years or so....

As usual, I missed one in many categories.
Pies was the first category I can recall running. 
I never have pie anymore. But I do lust after pie when I see or hear about it. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The space needle very slowly spins if you're in the top, if I recall correctly, so walking around in it is a bit funky.  

So does the top of the Stratosphere in Vegas, my hotel during my first visit. The restaurant is the top, and is all glass. It's 544 feet taller than the Space Needle. The St. Louis arch is 67 feet taller than the Washington Monument and 87 feet taller than the Seattle Space Needle.

As for Chicago's Willis Tower, the glass Skydeck has cracked twice under tourists' feet as they stood in the all-glass outcropping 1,353 feet above the Chicago Loop, once in 2014 and again in 2019. Like everything, it has been closed since March 2020 or maybe there would have been more cracks. (Yeah, it's the glass covering that cracked but still, if you are standing on a sheet of glass with the rooftops of Chicago's tallest buildings below you and all of a sudden you see cracks under your feet, you don't nit pick.)

39 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

I have never been to NYC and only flown in to Newark but I've seen enough Law and Order to know Holland Tunnel...Really??????

I've got you beat. I've flown into Newark, have never been to NYC and I've never seen one episode or Law and Order. It's obviously not must-see teevee for some Jeopardy players.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

and FJ was an instaget (my friend wanted that as a graduation present one year, so I got it for her), so a great game for me.

I used to work in a bookstore; I have probably rung up dozens of copies of that book over the several graduation seasons I've worked through.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Horton Hatches an Egg which I'm pretty sure isn't a thing.

Close; It's "Horton Hatches the Egg" 🐘

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Close; It's "Horton Hatches the Egg" 🐘

Well, good then, because I didn't think Horton hatched anything, I thought he just head Whos.  Must have been in my subconscious soewhere.

• LOL 1
47 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, good then, because I didn't think Horton hatched anything, I thought he just head Whos.  Must have been in my subconscious soewhere.

Apparently there are three Horton books: the first was Horton Hatches the Egg, then Horton Hears a Who!, and Horton and the Kwuggerbug and More Lost Stories (which I have never heard of before).

• Useful 1