Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Tough FJ tonight.  I finally did come up with the correct response -- after time, but before the first response was revealed, so I'm giving myself credit.  And an asterisk!

I also got Northwest Passage, Birdseye, grouse, Born Free, and in vivo.  Born Free was the first movie I cried at.  I saw it on TV in the early 70s.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I’m surprised all three missed FJ- I got it right away. I guess it was just one of those random facts I know. 

I'm sure I used to know "the luminaries who drove in the "Golden Spike" in Utah in 1869 was this man who later founded a university," but I first guessed Rockefeller, and then knew there were no Rockefeller-named academic institutions, so I guessed Carnegie and knew that was wrong, but gave up thinking, even though there was still time.

Every time I thought I was going to run a category, I got stuck on the last one --much like today's contestants.

Would "First Peoples" have been acceptable for "First Nations"?

And would "Mitch Albom's book" have been good enough for "Tuesdays with Morrie"? Maybe I would have gotten a BMS and pulled the rabbit out of my hat.

15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Little dust cloud came through the living room when Aaron said “so long” and my face got watery.

I have nothing against Anderson Cooper, but I’m not going to be as strict with watching as I have been the last two weeks.  I love Jeopardy! but I also love the Yankees and they interfere with each other most nights.  And for some reason I am just not enamored with watching Jeopardy! on the DVR.

I said Brigham Young too, even though I thought it was too obvious for FJ.

The same cloud of dust came through here, @mojoween. It was a bit like watching the last episode with Alex (but not).

Right now TitanTV.com is showing Jeopardy airing all next week, but I'm in Rochester, NY where Jeopardy airs over CBS, so, now that you mention it, I wonder if it will be preempted for the Yankees here. My mom was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and my uncle was a Mets fan, so I would have no particular attachment to the Yankees if I was a sports fan --even though I'm now living in a neighborhood where there are actually a few Yankees flags being flown on houses. 

Apologies for typos. The ability to edit posts is not available at this time.

Only watched today during commercial breaks on my Hawaii Five-O 13-hour marathon but I did get to see Aaron flirt with @Bliss again. For FJ I discounted Carnegie and waffled between Vanderbilt and Brown. Then I decided it didn't matter since both were probably wrong. So at least I was correct about that.

Brigham Young ... man, that dude married 55 wives. He didn't have time to pound a golden spike.

15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

even though I'm now living in a neighborhood where there are actually a few Yankees flags being flown on houses. 

As opposed to the "W"s you are used to.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And would "Mitch Albom's book" have been good enough for "Tuesdays with Morrie"? Maybe I would have gotten a BMS and pulled the rabbit out of my hat.

He has more than one book so I'm gonna say no.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Former champion Buzzy Cohen will guest host the ToC May 17-28.  I didn't take to him in his past appearances, but I wish him luck.  I think it is odd to assign someone without experience hosting this (or any?) television show to their big marquee event of the year.  If they insist on just another random guest host, how about LeVar Burton?  The guy is begging all over the media to have a chance.  I'd rather see him than a large majority of the people they've picked.  I guess there are still weeks in the season unaccounted for.  Anyway, I wonder whether they will match ToC winnings at all.

To be fair, maybe Cohen will turn out to be spectacular.  I wasn't particularly interested in Rodgers when he was announced, but he started out doing just fine and became very good, I thought.  So maybe I'm not the best judge before we've seen what they can do.  I'm not looking particularly forward to Cooper either.  I'm not familiar with his work as a journalist, because I don't watch cable news, but I learned on "Millionaire" that he is close friends with Andy Cohen, Bravo trash queen. This doesn't speak highly of him IMO.  I also find his waxy mannequin looks sort of "uncanny valley."  He's always spoken very highly of me too, naturally.  Let's hope he proves me as wrong as Rodgers did.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Former champion Buzzy Cohen will guest host the ToC May 17-28.  I didn't take to him in his past appearances, but I wish him luck.  I think it is odd to assign someone without experience hosting this (or any?) television show to their big marquee event of the year. 

...I don't hate it. I can see why some people are rubbed the wrong way by Buzzy and his quirkiness but I like him well enough. I think someone who is very familiar with the workings and rhythms of the game is needed for the big tournament (I thought maybe they'd have Mike Richards do it again for that reason), so a former champ who had a good run isn't a bad choice. (I still want to see Brad try his hand at it.)

• Love 5

I know contestants are notoriously bad at geography, but no one identifying the countries Liechtenstein sits between still surprised me.

I know almost nothing about golf, so only came up with one (and, no, it wasn't the $200 clue; even though I know they tee off, I got confused by "box" and couldn't even come up with tee!  [It was sand that I got]).  I also missed Birdseye and grouse just as the contestants did, but got everything else in the first round; if it hadn't been for frakkin' golf, I'd have been off to a great start.

In DJ, I joined the contestants in being stumped by Horatio Nelson, Ed Sheeran, and the Gulf of Bothnia.  I also missed two books and one song that they got.  I only ran Latin phrases and Nastive Americans, but still a decent performance.

FJ, though - no clue.  I figured Brigham Young was too easy and Utah was a red herring altogether, but I didn't get any further than that to even spit out another university named after someone.  As soon as Aaron said Stanford, I knew he was going to talk some smack.

• Love 3

Shame they missed the question about leather.  They mustn't've seen the old "Road to" movies.  I don't know what it is about this one in particular, but ever since I heard it I can't get it out of my head.  To this day, I'll be sitting on the bus or in line at the bank and all of a sudden my brain just goes "like Webster's Dictionary, we're Morocco bound!"

I think I might have known Stanford.  I volunteer with my fraternity's chapter there and am often in town for a great old movie house also named for him, so I know the story.  Alas, I found myself in the thread after the spoiler cutoff but before I had watched the show and saw it.  Shall we count that as “I knew it?”  Sure.  The rules are lenient in my house too. ;)

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Danielle reminded me of Melinda Gates.

I can see that.  I liked Danielle immediately because she looked in her introduction like someone had just told her the most fantastic joke.  She seemed equally tickled every time she gave a correct answer, at least to start.  I think it might have been nervous energy, but she sure looked to be having a great time.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6

I had never heard of Aaron Rodgers before last week, and he turned out to be a delightful surprise. A little stiff at first, but he quickly settled in and started showing his humor and intelligence. And he clearly had a great presence in person, because by this last show all three contestants seemed super relaxed and comfortable. I would definitely like to see him host again!

2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Shame they missed the question about leather.  They mustn't've seen the old "Road to" movies.  I don't know what it is about this one in particular, but ever since I heard it I can't get it out of my head.  To this day, I'll be sitting on the bus or in line at the bank and all of a sudden my brain just goes "like Webster's Dictionary, we're Morocco bound!"

That's how I knew the answer! I'm a huge fan of Bing Crosby and I love that song. : )

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Heh I got FJ because force was the only word I could remember from Newton’s Laws. 

Me too. I went from "force of gravity" (the only thing I know upfront) to "force" to pull it out.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I should have gotten Born Free, but they said Elsa and my mind went to Frozen. 

And my mind went to Lion King (Elsa, Nala, who cares) - so at least I had the right animal. 🤣

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Brigham Young ... man, that dude married 55 wives. He didn't have time to pound a golden spike.

I'm just going to leave that set up alone. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 7

It was an enjoyable game to watch and I did fairly well too.

I got the ts's or missed dd's of Northwest passage, Birdseye, grouse and Born Free, a book and movie I loved and now the song is an earworm.

For FJ I thought western US + university named after a person = Stanford.  Didn't really even consider Brigham Young and his 55 wives.

I will miss Aaron Rodgers.

I also miss the button that takes you to top of page🙁

eta: So many people mispronounce bona fide.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 10
35 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Me too.  Why did they do that????

@Clanstarling mentioned in another thread that you can use the Home key to take you to the top so that works for now but I hope they still replace it.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Trey said:

@Clanstarling mentioned in another thread that you can use the Home key to take you to the top so that works for now but I hope they still replace it.

If you click the red bar at the top of the page there's a note about things they still working on, so maybe it'll be back when they're done.

8 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I had never heard of Aaron Rodgers before last week, and he turned out to be a delightful surprise.

I'd heard of him but I don't follow football, and I didn't remember him from when he played Celebrity J, so I had no idea what to expect.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, 853fisher said:

all of a sudden my brain just goes "like Webster's Dictionary, we're Morocco bound!"

Oh, man, I've watched all the Road movies multiple times and "I never made the connection." -TM Caller to Mr. Obvious

That was one of the TSs I saw during  commercial flipping and I was all WTHeck is Morocco leather. I did see/get some other ones, not that they matter, even to me.

44 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And it's not to be confused with "fine Corinithian leather," which doesn't even exist.

Actually, "Corinthian leather" was my answer to the Moroccan leather TS. Khan Noonien Singh convinced me it was real.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Actually, "Corinthian leather" was my answer to the Moroccan leather TS. Khan Noonien Singh convinced me it was real.

Ricardo Montalbán was very convincing/charming in all of his roles. 
He would have made a great Jeopardy host. 

• Love 13

The New York Post reports that football and baseball broadcaster Joe Buck will be a guest host.  This isn't generally a publication I would seek out even in a toilet paper shortage, and extra points off for "Alex Trebeck" [sic], but I can't remember any names being concretely presented in national media without panning out.

Sports aren't my world at all, but he seems to be a little controversial?  He told a reporter that he and a colleague drank tequila while calling games, then complained when he got a little blowback, for instance.  A friend who loves sports indicated that it's mostly silly things, but he does have a lot of detractors.

I'm awful tired of all these random TV personalities.  I've started to agree with those who think it was probably best to go with a succession of short-time hosts rather than make a long-term transition too soon, but I think many of their choices have been uninspiring, and that they're all dragging on too long.  I want more constancy back soon.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's already being discussed in the Guest Host thread, @853fisher.  (Buck is mildly controversial, but mostly just annoying as all get out.)

Sorry and thanks! I usually read only the episode or season threads for shows I follow and often forget the others. Buck would probably say that posting in the wrong place was...a disgusting act. ;)

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 3

Any brockmire fans?   That was my first thought when I heard buck was hosting.  

I have no strong feelings about him as an announcer.  Some fans do though. Various minor controversies over the years that are bound to happen when you're in the public eye and announcing thousands of games for 3 decades. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

I said Lakota for the Sitting Bull question. Would they have accepted it or could they start a BLS (Be Less Specific)?

Lakota should have been accepted as correct.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Re Friday FJ: the first time I heard that the school is called Leland Stanford Junior University, I wondered what a junior university was.

And now I've stumbled upon this bit of bizarre history regarding Stanford U: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Stanford
--which makes me wonder if this was the inspiration for the first name of the character Leland Stottlemeyer in the murder mystery dramedy series, Monk.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

For "Hispanic Americans", $400, why is "hysterectomy" incorrect?

Wasn't sterilization done via a hysterectomy?

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6991

Tubal ligation is/was much more common.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And now I've stumbled upon this bit of bizarre history regarding Stanford U: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Stanford
--which makes me wonder if this was the inspiration for the first name of the character Leland Stottlemeyer in the murder mystery dramedy series, Monk.

Yikes.  It might be why Stottlemeyer was named Leland. But that is a completely bizarre story.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

For "Hispanic Americans", $400, why is "hysterectomy" incorrect?

Wasn't sterilization done via a hysterectomy?

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6991

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Tubal ligation is/was much more common

See also https://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/book-excerpts/health-article/forced-sterilization/

This program, designed by the Eugenics Board, was intended to “catalyze economic growth,” and respond to “depression-era unemployment.” Both U.S. government funds and contributions from private individuals supported the initiative.

Instead of providing Puerto Rican women with access to alternative forms of safe, legal and reversible contraception, U.S. policy promoted the use of permanent sterilization. The procedure was so common in Puerto Rico at the time that it was simply referred to as “la operacion.”

Institutionalized encouragement of sterilization through the use of door-to-door visits by health workers, financial subsidy of the operation, and industrial employer favoritism toward sterilized women pushed women towards having a hysterectomy or tubal ligation (i.e., “tying the tubes”). The coercive strategies used by these institutions denied women access to informed consent.

More than one-third of the women in the 1968 study did not know that sterilization through tubal ligation was a permanent form of contraception. The euphemism “tying the tubes” made women think the procedure was easily reversible…

• Useful 2
On 4/17/2021 at 11:00 PM, 853fisher said:

Sports aren't my world at all, but he seems to be a little controversial?

My thoughts on him are here but I think he's more "controversial" as opposed to actually controversial in that people have very strong opinions about someone who doesn't have a strong personality.

A contestant today reminded me of my new boss.  It's kind of eerie. 

Anderson Cooper has such a defined presenting persona that he was exactly as I thought he'd be.  The only surprise was that he seemed to take a full second before saying whether or not an answer was correct.  It created a suspense I'm not used to.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Anderson Cooper has such a defined presenting persona that he was exactly as I thought he'd be.  The only surprise was that he seemed to take a full second before saying whether or not an answer was correct.  It created a suspense I'm not used to.

I like Anderson Cooper. I'd be surprised if he didn't do well with the clue reading, given his regular job. Hopefully he gets quicker at the rulings.

Round 1: Ran 10 Letter Words, got TS of infrared (there were only two in the round!) and the DD.

Round 2: Ran Human Body, got TS of Amnesty International, and both DDs. (Almost ran Wet Words but deluge wouldn't come to me.)

Final: Near-instaget, then I thought I was probably wrong but I couldn't think of anything else.

I get my first vaccine dose tomorrow at 6:05. It's only about 10 minutes from my house. Hopefully things are running smoothly and nothing goes wrong so I can get home in time for J! at 7.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Instaget FJ for me tonight, which surprised me.  I wasn't at all confident when they revealed the category, but I suppose I should have known it would be a well-known painting.  I was also surprised that Donna missed it.

I only got two TS -- infrared and Amnesty International.

Anderson was fine.  I could live with him as the next host.

• Love 5

I got FJ, but I didn't think it was right because it seemed too easy.

I got the missed clues of Sparta (only 1 got right in that category) and Amnesty International.

I got the entire category of wet words right.

Not a great night.  

• Love 1

Anderson did a good job. It isn’t really a surprise with all of the experience he has in broadcasting. He’s more in line of Mike Richards as the traditional host of a game show. Whereas Aaron Rodgers was more of a star filling in as the host. Aaron did a fine job but he was just different. I’m thinking Rodgers is the front runner at this time. It’s an easy gig. Of course, TPTB might prefer someone who isn’t in the limelight as Aaron Rodgers. The one thing about Alex (and, Sajack) is that you rarely heard of their comings and going’s. Whereas Rodgers and his latest girlfriend are in the gossip columns regularly. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

It's a problem when someone knows too much about the FJ topic. And like the writers goofed with players by putting "Utah" in the Golden Spike FJ, they totally screwed with me with this: "... from the artist’s window in this piece."

Well, the only Van Gogh I could think of with a window is Bedroom at Arles, so that HAD to be the answer. I couldn't remember if the view from the window was a sketch for Starry Night but maybe it was. Plus "artist's window" meant the answer HAD to be the Arles painting, done eight months before Starry Night.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

I forgot Anderson Cooper had competed in celebrity J! so many times.  I figured he'd be a good guest host given his broadcasting experience, and he was.

I didn't get a single sci-fi clue right (I knew the first one was Hal the computer, but couldn't remember the film's title in time).  I also missed two self-help clues, and only got the other three by guessing correctly.  I ran the other first-round categories, but there were a lot of lucky guesses involved.

In DJ, I was terrible in the fiction category, only getting one ("It was a dark and stormy night").  I also only got two ancient cities (I knew Lima and correctly guessed Guatemala).  I ran the human body and organizations and only missed one each in wet words and emcees, though, so it wasn't a disaster.

FJ was an instaget - especially since there's a print of it hanging in my home office, which is where I watch J! 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It's a problem when someone knows too much about the FJ topic. And like the writers goofed with players by putting "Utah" in the Golden Spike FJ, they totally screwed with me with this: "... from the artist’s window in this piece."

Well, the only Van Gogh I could think of with a window is Bedroom at Arles, so that HAD to be the answer. I couldn't remember if the view from the window was a sketch for Starry Night but maybe it was. Plus "artist's window" meant the answer HAD to be the Arles painting, done eight months before Starry Night.

I always like when I feel I’m the only one who didn’t get  a FJ, and then you come and prove me wrong 🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Anderson is dull but competent.

Aw, Anderson had a few good zingers. And it was his first outing. He is likeable to me in much the same way Alex was. In spite of being born with the silver spoon, so to speak, he's always struck me as modest and self effacing. But is he just here to fill in for a couple of weeks, or is he a serious contender?

Regarding FJ: When I saw the category of Painting, I imagined myself there on the show with everyone who knows me watching and knew that I'd be expected to bet big and get it right. So, of course, I drew a total blank. There was nothing in that clue that hinted to me that it was referring to The Starry Night, a painting I know so well. Perhaps it's because I first studied the painting in the 1960s, and there was no mention then about it being from a view out of his window? Nor have I read the NY Times piece describing it as "balls of orange-yellow light."  I failed.

This is why I never wanted to watch Jeopardy with my parents until late in their lives when I was willing to do whatever they wanted to do. And they did cheer if I got one right. But all y'all are such champs while I'm just a chump.
And mom had literally read any possible book whose title or author might be on the board.

• Love 8

I did say "Starry Night," but spent 30 seconds trying to talk myself out of it.  The wording about the window made me think perhaps the interior of a room was featured as well as the view outside, but fortunately I couldn't think of another suitable answer in time.  It bears remembering that a clue like this is usually one of THE most famous examples.  There is a multimedia thing celebrating Van Gogh in town now, incidentally, but it seemed a little superficial and tourist-y.  After reading a sniffy review from the local PBS affiliate, I was thinking of going just to make sure I didn't turn into that grumpy snob who can't enjoy anything unless the critics say it's alright.  Then I saw that they want $40 for the 40-minute "experience"!  I'll stick to my art books, thank you.

Not a great day for me overall.  I wonder when I'll ever learn not to double-take when Darius is pronounced correctly in context and not "Dare-ee-us" as I expect.  I'm sure the intent was pure, but "Let's make it a true Daily Double, Alex" was just awkward to me.  I suppose he meant "no disrespect" or "with deference" rather than what he actually said to Anderson to preface that, "no deference to you."  It was just a cringefest all around, and certainly not "well said."  Too harsh?  Probably.  I guess that's why nobody's called me to host. ;)  I thought Anderson was fine but nothing special, and does need to work on closing that gap between response and acknowledgment.  

• Love 4

I was listening from another room and couldn't quite make out the words (and I was too busy to go turn it up) and I thought they were running an old episode with Alex. Then I caught Anderson Cooper's slightly higher voice several minutes in. I realized that it was the timing and cadence that reminded me of A.T., so I wonder if A.C. was actually slower on some things as some of you mentioned, or he was just slower than the last host. From what I could hear, he sounded very comfortable in the role.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I wonder when I'll ever learn not to double-take when Darius is pronounced correctly in context and not "Dare-ee-us" as I expect.

Asimov wrote a novel (Murder at the ABA) with a protagonist named Darius Just and people who knew him referred to him as Dry As Dust.  When I forget which way is the correct pronunciation, I think of Dry As Dust.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I'm sure the intent was pure, but "Let's make it a true Daily Double, Alex" was just awkward to me.  I suppose he meant "no disrespect" or "with deference" rather than what he actually said to Anderson to preface that, "no deference to you."  It was just a cringefest all around, and certainly not "well said."  Too harsh?  Probably.  I guess that's why nobody's called me to host. ;)  I thought Anderson was fine but nothing special, and does need to work on closing that gap between response and acknowledgment.  

Not “too harsh” IMO. Cringefest for sure! And then Anderson’s “Well said”?!?  
I gave Anderson a pass because it was his first day and he’s likable, but three strikes like that and even Anderson Cooper is out in my book. 
And with the "no deference to you” instead of the "no disrespect to you,” I wondered if the contestant was so befuddled that he also failed to consider that wagering the optional $1K was potentially more than his $800 “True Daily Double, Alex”?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I knew he would be good, he's used to being a presenter (not just the news, but other things as well). I didn't particularly notice the hesitation, or at least, as I am writing this I don't remember.

9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Not a great day for me overall.  I wonder when I'll ever learn not to double-take when Darius is pronounced correctly in context and not "Dare-ee-us" as I expect.  I'm sure the intent was pure, but "Let's make it a true Daily Double, Alex" was just awkward to me.  I suppose he meant "no disrespect" or "with deference" rather than what he actually said to Anderson to preface that, "no deference to you."  It was just a cringefest all around, and certainly not "well said."  Too harsh?  Probably.  I guess that's why nobody's called me to host. ;)  I thought Anderson was fine but nothing special, and does need to work on closing that gap between response and acknowledgment.  

It was awkward, for sure. But I felt for the guy - he'd imagined this moment with Alex for all his life, and he wanted to say those specific words. Unfortunately, he messed up "disrepect" with "deference" and made it more awkward. But I can relate to nerves blocking the information from mind to tongue.

I got to Starry Night, but it was a long road. The New York Times threw me, and then I kept with Van Gogh until realizing they wanted the painting and not the artist. I got to it just in time.

Since I personally don't believe any of these guest hosts are being auditioned, I don't feel the additional weight of considering whether they'd be good permanent hosts. Except for Oz, I've pretty much been okay with all of them (though Katie's chirpiness got a bit irritating).  Ken might be an exception in the audition thing - but then again, he was there working on the show when they were hard pressed to have someone present. That they went with Ken and (Richards?) first isn't too surprising as they already worked there. But who knows? I could very well be wrong. We'll find out eventually.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5