Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The histamine TS surprised me.

Billy Crystal changing seats to not have to sit next to a baby made me laugh, but I hope he wasn't rude about it. 

Larry McMurtry joins the list of people who've died between the filming and airing of an episode in which they are the subject of or response to a clue.

I only ran the 1900 and French categories in the first round, missing one each in the rest.  In DJ, I ran every category except literary settings, in which I missed three, so I was on a roll.  FJ didn't come to me until after time was up, though, so I can't count it as a get.

• Love 4
On 4/5/2021 at 5:43 PM, ams1001 said:

I think he just said something along the lines of "notice the quotation marks."

I really wish they'd be more clear about that. That usually means "starts with" but doesn't always, and I wonder if they contestants get instructions that we don't hear.

14 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

I guessed Phil Donohue (sp?) as FJ.....which I guess was a better stab than Jerry Springer! I didn't even consider Alex! lol @ me!

Phil was my first guess, but I got to Rogers in time!

13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I think the guest host decision is actually kind of brilliant. No one would have been happy if someone was hired right after Alex passed.  It was too soon. This way, we get used to all sorts of hosting styles and personalities before they make the actual decision. I don't think (Ken excepted, possibly) that any of these are auditions. Just people with a history with Jeopardy who are happy to participate in honor of Alex.

I agree . They don't want to look like they're "replacing" Alex right away. This way they can honor him (for the cast and the audience) and keep the show going while they figure out the long-term. Also gives us lots of different hosts so there's not such a sharp comparison between Alex and whoever the next host will be. We get used to the idea of it being someone else.

Have they announced an end time to the guest hosts? I was figuring they'd do this for the remainder of the season but that's still a ways off so wondering if I'm wrong.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, snarktini said:

I really wish they'd be more clear about that. That usually means "starts with" but doesn't always, and I wonder if they contestants get instructions that we don't hear.

I take it to mean it can appear anywhere unless they specify a position.

23 minutes ago, snarktini said:

Have they announced an end time to the guest hosts? I was figuring they'd do this for the remainder of the season but that's still a ways off so wondering if I'm wrong.

I think I read that the plan is to start the new permanent host with the new season (that might have been speculation but it makes sense). According to this we still have Anderson Cooper, Savannah Guthrie, Mayim Bialik, Bill Whitaker, and Sanjay Gupta to come. (Not sure how I feel about Mayim Bialik. I've been listening to her podcast and I have mixed feelings about her in the "host" position. Not the same kind of hosting, so I guess we'll see.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, snarktini said:

They have announced other guest hosts the weeks of April 19th and 26th (Anderson Cooper), May 3rd and 10th (Bill Whitaker), and May 31st and June 11th (Mayim Bialik).  Note that the weeks of May 17th and May 24th do not have an announced host.

Sanjay Gupta and Savannah Guthrie are the remaining two hosts we have been told are coming without any particular dates.  We have assumed they will also do two weeks each, but I'm not sure that's been confirmed.

As it sounds like you know, the past several seasons other than '19-'20 have run through July.  This suggests to me that there are several weeks presently unaccounted for.  It seems they will do a TOC at some point soon.  Maybe that host will be the chosen one.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, snarktini said:

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I take it to mean it can appear anywhere unless they specify a position.

I agree; the quotation marks in a category title mean those letters/that word will appear in each correct response, and when all correct responses will have the quoted letters/words at the beginning, end, or in the middle, that gets specified by the host (if not already indicated by the category title).  In the absence of that specification, they'll simply appear somewhere in the response.  So just drawing contestants' attention to the quotation marks, as Aaron did with the "but" category, is sufficient.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

When I watch Aaron Rogers I cringe a bit at how uncomfortable he looks. He seems to have trouble talking with his hands (barely under control) and he sways a bit. I’m sure he is nervous. Anyone would be and there still is time for him to relax and get into a rhythm. Now when I’m listening to him I think that he is doing well. He doesn’t hold back the game, is pretty concise with his wordage and rarely slips in a comment between answers. I got histamine and I think one other. I was thinking of Alex or Bob Barker if  I had to write something down. Needless to say I didn’t get FJ...again. 
    I’m glad for the many of you that seem to be keeping up with your good games even with changing hosts 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, snarktini said:

Mayim Bialik is scheduled to end hers on June 11, and there are two more still listed as TBD. So I think that takes us pretty much to the end of the season. https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/jeopardy-guest-host-schedule

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I've done well for FJ for the first two shows this week.  We shall see...

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Larry McMurtry joins the list of people who've died between the filming and airing of an episode in which they are the subject of or response to a clue.

Sad about that one.  Is there a list somewhere? I'm curious.

14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I had the wrong kind of cabin for FJ.  I knew Teddy Roosevelt had to be called back from the Adirondacks when McKinley's condition worsened after being shot, and didn't think too hard after that.   "Window shades" should have been a bit of a clue for me.  Oh well.

I figured Teddy for a cabin person. I also figured there were probably window shades of some sort back then. Never even gave an airplane cabin a thought - even though I'm very familiar with LBJ's taking the oath on the plane. Well played, you tricksy Jeopardy writers.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"The Walking Dead Poet's Society"...I'd watch that.

The only one of the clues I got. Shelly, Byron, Sandberg, Whitman and Ginsberg as zombies does sound kind of fun. Add Dickinson, Angelou, and St. Vincent Millay.  Someone good would have to write those scripts!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The only one of the clues I got. Shelly, Byron, Sandberg, Whitman and Ginsberg as zombies does sound kind of fun. Add Dickinson, Angelou, and St. Vincent Millay.  Someone good would have to write those scripts!

I thought the zombies were just going to discuss poetry.  I didn't realize that famous poets were going to be zombies.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Would "dirigible" have been acceptable as an answer instead of "zeppelin"? The clue: 

This type of rigid airship hit nearly 20 mph during its first flight on July 2 near Friedrichshafen, Germany

I think of Zeppelin as being a brand, rather than a "type".

Only two ts or missed dd's for me: cypress and George Washington.

Did not get FJ.  That was a tricky clue.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Would "dirigible" have been acceptable as an answer instead of "zeppelin"? The clue: 

I think of Zeppelin as being a brand, rather than a "type".

I said dirigible, but counted it as wrong as I'm not knowledgeable enough in the area to overrule their answers:) 

According to google, a zeppelin is a type of dirigible.  Might have gotten a BMS?  I really don't know.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said dirigible, but counted it as wrong as I'm not knowledgeable enough in the area to overrule their answers:) 

According to google, a zeppelin is a type of dirigible.  Might have gotten a BMS?  I really don't know.

I'm guessing you might have gotten a BMS if the host was familiar with the different terms, but otherwise, probably not, although I guess a judge might have weighed in later too, but the clue...

• This type of rigid airship hit nearly 20 mph during its first flight on July 2 near Friedrichshafen, Germany"

...seems to come from: britannica.com/technology/zeppelin 

Zeppelin, rigid airship of a type originally manufactured by Luftschiffsbau-Zeppelin, consisting of a cigar-shaped, trussed, and covered frame supported by internal gas cells. The first Zeppelin airship was designed by Ferdinand, Graf von Zeppelin, a retired German army officer, and made its initial flight from a floating hangar on Lake Constance, near Friedrichshafen, Germany, on July 2, 1900. Beneath the 128-metre (420-foot) craft a keel-like structure connected two external cars, each of which contained a 16-horsepower engine geared to two propellers. A sliding weight secured to the keel afforded vertical control by raising or lowering the nose, while rudders were provided for horizontal control. The craft attained speeds approaching 32 km (20 miles) per hour.

and the term "dirigible" does occur once in that article, as well as under "LEARN MORE in these related Britannica articles."

I don't know if the clue writers make it a habit to find multiple sources in order to be sure of the facts, but, if so, and if they looked at the definitions at airships.net/dirigible/  maybe?

“Airship” and “dirigible” are synonyms; a dirigible is any lighter-than-air craft that is powered and steerable, as opposed to free floating like a balloon.

The word “dirigible” is often associated with rigid airships but the term does not come from the word “rigid” but from the French verb diriger (“to steer”).

Dirigibles include rigid airships (like the Hindenburg), semi-rigid airships (like the Zeppelin NT), and blimps (like the Goodyear blimp).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I've been trying to research why the cabin was "sweltering," if Air Force One had air conditioning and if so, why was it sweltering in that cabin. All I can find is that Air Force One has been a Boeing VC-137C, also known as the 707. I've been on 707s on a runway for long times and there has always been air conditioning for passengers. You'd think that courtesy would be extended to the POTUS.

I also thought of the wrong kind of cabin, and forgot the category, so I very confidently said, "Lincoln!"  Oooops!  

But I did get the TS of cypress, Tupelo, curfew, zabaglione, and histamine.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Trey said:

Would "dirigible" have been acceptable as an answer instead of "zeppelin”?

I was wondering if Aarons’s answer card said something like “dirigible, but we will also accept zeppelin” because his pause seemed like he was going to call zeppelin wrong but had to finish reading his cue card.

• Love 1

I got all of Broadway, Uniforms, and Chess.  I was in the chess club for years and finally received an award for sportsmanship, which should tell you something about my match results.  It was a pleasure to see that I retained something after all.  I still enjoy it from time to time.

I also still think Aaron is doing well for someone inexperienced.  But today I felt his shortcomings were really evident.  I believe he is as deeply invested in the show as he says, but his body language was really saying "perfunctory."  I think it's just not what we're used to in a TV host.

They aren't doing him any favors when they cut to him staring at his sheet struggling to get through "Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky," but that comment about not wanting to bother with Mozart's full name was all him.  He really needs to...well, I dare not say "relax."  "Believe in himself," maybe.

Someone should also have marked on his sheet or mentioned before the show the customary pronunciation of the ballet, which is row-DAY-oh.  Maybe they did tell him but he screwed up.  In that case, I would have looped the audio.  Easy!  Whoever failed, he's the one who looked silly.

We have a three-time champion for the first time since February.  I like Brandon but today's story got my eyes rolling and Monday's was equally silly.  At least go out to the lobby for 15 minutes to take the test, man!  Alas, what might once have been called dopey is now "relatable."

• Love 4
(edited)

I got Final Jeopardy without even thinking. It’s the 2nd one this week. Either Final Jeopardy is getting too easy or I’m very smart. There was just something about the date and location which made me think of a Lizzie Borden. I’m so glad when I watched Elizabeth Montgomery as Lizzie Borden in 1975 it would help me later in life. LOL!!! I was 11 years old in 1975 and I have never forgotten the tv movie along with Lizzie Borden took an axe.........

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

“Naval Institute” is wrong, but he immediately amended to “Annapolis”, which I would have thought they’d have accepted, since that’s like West Point as a quasi-official term.

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I suspect the plane was hot because it was still on the ground (Love Field, Dallas) and the engines weren't running.

You'd think they could turn on the engines for the new POTUS. Geesh, if not for him, then who. Or at least turn on a fan for pete's sake.

I laughed loud and hard when Aaron said (paraphrasing), "Lots of smoke?"

• LOL 3
15 minutes ago, SeanC said:

“Naval Institute” is wrong, but he immediately amended to “Annapolis”, which I would have thought they’d have accepted, since that’s like West Point as a quasi-official term.

Nope. The correct answer is Naval Academy. I know graduates refer to it as Annapolis, but that's not the name.

Naval Academy

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Nope. The correct answer is Naval Academy. I know graduates refer to it as Annapolis, but that's not the name.

Naval Academy

If someone had said “West Point” in answer to a question about the Military Academy, would they have insisted on the latter? I doubt it.

8 minutes ago, SeanC said:

If someone had said “West Point” in answer to a question about the Military Academy, would they have insisted on the latter? I doubt it.

Here is the clue:

Uniforms at this Maryland college are dinner dress, service dress, service, working & plebe sum

They were asking for the name of the college. The name is Naval Academy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh, Annapolis! I couldn’t understand what he mumbled after “Naval Institute” and the captioning rendered it as some acronym that meant nothing to me.

I would argue that Annapolis has not really been officially embraced as West Point has, although I could be mistaken. Would “Cal” be accepted if the desired response was “University of California, Berkeley”? I couldn’t think of a better analogy but West Point is all over their website, for instance, as a name. Annapolis and Cal are not.  Hmmm, if I said “Madge,” would they take it for “Madonna”? Maybe there would be a BMS for that or Cal if not for the earlier objectively wrong answer.

I do understand that the rules allow for amended responses until a verbal ruling, but I don’t like that. I think you should be able to add (“Who is Kennedy? Rose Kennedy”) but not replace. Once you’ve said something wrong, you shouldn’t have the opportunity to reconsider while there is a pause and obviously some debate in the earpiece and the host is making a face... I know, who made me king of anything, but for me he was wrong at “Naval Institute,” even if “Annapolis” on its own might have gone either way.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1

Yay!  I finally got an FJ this week!  And it was pretty much an instaget.  

I also got the TS/missed DD of The Producers, Kingsford, and oxygen.  There were a couple of others I should have gotten, and that were on the tip of my tongue, but I just couldn't quite get them out.  Piper was one, but I can't remember the others.

I feel like Brandon should have gotten credit for hysterectomy.  Or did he, and I missed it?

Sebastian reminded me of Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I feel like Brandon should have gotten credit for hysterectomy.  Or did he, and I missed it?

No, he didn’t. I thought perhaps methods other than hysterectomy were used to sterilize some of these women, such that hysterectomy alone would not fulfill the fraction mentioned in the clue? I thought of the general answer but was a little surprised hysterectomy was not accepted.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

No, probably because the most common method used was tubal litigation rather than hysterectomy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I would argue that Annapolis has not really been officially embraced as West Point has, although I could be mistaken.

As someone living in Virginia, and the spouse of a retired Navy officer, I would have said Annapolis was absolutely as much the common name as West Point, but I wasn’t paying close enough attention to the various responses and what order they were made to say if he should have gotten credit. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Uniforms at this Maryland college are dinner dress, service dress, service, working & plebe sum

They were asking for the name of the college. The name is Naval Academy.

Exactly. I can say I graduated from Ames and people would know I went to Iowa State. But "Ames" is not the name of the school. Just like if someone says he went to school at "Carbondale," I know he went to Southern Illinois University. Carbondale is the location, not the name.

And the list goes on, but to cut to the chase, "Annapolis" was not a correct answer.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

They aren't doing him any favors when they cut to him staring at his sheet struggling to get through "Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky," but that comment about not wanting to bother with Mozart's full name was all him.  He really needs to...well, I dare not say "relax."  "Believe in himself," maybe.

I thought it was funny that he managed to say "Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky" but "Wolfgang Amadeus" was too much for him. I thought back to how beautifully Alex would have pronounced those names, especially Claude Debussy.

Is there a reason "rodeo" is generally pronounced "ROH-dee-oh" but the ballet should be pronounced "Roh-DAY-oh"?

I knew the Mambo Kings, Old Deuteronomy, Kingsford, and Piper. "The Producers" was the only one of the Broadway musical questions I missed. I would have bet big if I had hit that DD, and I would have cursed myself afterwards.

I thought FJ was easy, and I did not think Aaron should have made a point of mentioning the misspelling of "Lizzy" when that's the sort of mistake nobody has ever been penalized for.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Is there a reason "rodeo" is generally pronounced "ROH-dee-oh" but the ballet should be pronounced "Roh-DAY-oh"?

I have seen different reasons.  One is that the American dance scene was considered provincial by many prestigious companies at the time, and pronouncing the title with some kind of European flair made everyone less queasy.  I have no idea whether that's true or not, but it's interesting!

12 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I did not think Aaron should have made a point of mentioning the misspelling of "Lizzy" when that's the sort of mistake nobody has ever been penalized for.

Agreed, except for an outlying incident or two I won't rehash while we're all getting along. 😉  I think that might have been an outward expression of him going through the whole process, maybe repeating something he heard in the earpiece, who knows?  But I too thought he needn't have mentioned it.

Edited by 853fisher
19 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought FJ was easy, and I did not think Aaron should have made a point of mentioning the misspelling of "Lizzy" when that's the sort of mistake nobody has ever been penalized for.

Not to bring back the whole Berry vs Barry thing, but...

Many many people pronounce those exactly the same way.

Also, Alex would often also point out when people spelled answers incorrectly.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

It's roh-DAY-oh Drive in Beverly Hills, too. Rodeo is from Spanish, emphasis on the second syllable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Also, Alex would often also point out when people spelled answers incorrectly.

Alex always did this. As long is pronunciation is the same, bad spelling doesn't count. But Alex always pointed it out.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, halfpint ingals said:

I was wondering if they would accept The Sister Act when technically it was just Sister Act. 

Adding articles to titles doesn't matter unless there was another play named THE Sister Act which was unrelated to the Goldberg movie.

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Alex always did this. As long is pronunciation is the same, bad spelling doesn't count. But Alex always pointed it out.

OK, my memory is faulty on this. Something about the way Aaron said "We'll accept it" made it sound like they were grudgingly doing the contestant a favor. Alex would have said something more like  "We don't penalize for spelling" .

I can't believe oxygen was a TS; there are only two choices, guess one!

The Kingsford TS kind of surprised me, but I guess none of them grill with charcoal (if at all).  Luminol also surprised me a bit; as others have said, none of them watch crime shows?

My habit of reading mostly only non-fiction bit me in the ass in the first round: I missed three in literary animals, and The Mambo Kings TS in Hispanic Americans.  I also missed one Broadway show and two chess terms.

In DJ, I missed three composers and two characters.  I also missed one each in science and uniforms (I could not for the life of me remember what a chef's hat is called).

FJ was an instaget, and I'm not sure why it came to mind so immediately.  I guess the year.

For anyone interested, here is a concise summary of the life and work of Dr. Helen Rodriguez-Trias, who did great work expanding public health services for women and children in minority and low-income communities.  Here's an excerpt, including the fact stated in the sterilization clue:

Throughout the 1970s, Dr. Rodriguez-Trias was an active member of the women's health movement. She was inspired by "the experiences of my own mother, my aunts and sisters, who faced so many restraints in their struggle to flower and reach their own potential." After attending a conference on abortion at Barnard College in 1970, she focused on reproductive rights.

Rodriguez-Trias joined the effort to stop sterilization abuse. Poor women, women of color, and women with physical disabilities were far more likely to be sterilized than white, middle-class women. In Puerto Rico, for example, between 1938 and 1968, a third of the women of child-bearing age were sterilized without being fully informed of its consequences.

Rodriguez-Trias was a founding member of both the Committee to End Sterilization Abuse and the Committee for Abortion Rights and Against Sterilization Abuse, and testified before the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare for passage of federal sterilization guidelines in 1979. The guidelines, which she helped draft, require a woman's written consent to sterilization, offered in a language they can understand, and set a waiting period between the consent and the sterilization procedure.

• Useful 3
25 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

OK, my memory is faulty on this. Something about the way Aaron said "We'll accept it" made it sound like they were grudgingly doing the contestant a favor. Alex would have said something more like  "We don't penalize for spelling" .

He said, "spelling slightly off, but we're gonna accept that."  It did sound like he was doing her a favor or something.  Frankly, he also pronounced "Borden" as though it was the suspect word rather than "Lizzie," at least to my ears.  It was strange.

I did think, Alex would sometimes make smart comments about that kind of thing.  I didn't always love those either, but I guess I feel that Alex had earned his stripes in a way that Aaron Rodgers certainly has not, and so could get away with al little more.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

It's as @secnarf posted above: "Not to bring back the whole Berry vs Barry thing, but..."

No doubt some people pronounce Lizzie differently than Lizzy.

• Love 1