Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:
1 hour ago, halfpint ingals said:

I was wondering if they would accept The Sister Act when technically it was just Sister Act. 

Adding articles to titles doesn't matter unless there was another play named THE Sister Act which was unrelated to the Goldberg movie.

But I'm guessing if I'd been there blurting out "Back in the Habit" (which was the subtitle of Sister Act 2) as I was doing in my living room, that I wouldn't have even earned a BMS, heh.
Likewise, if I'd been trying out to be on the show and, when I couldn't think of "Fatal Attraction," if I yelled "The Boiler Bunny!" like I did here at home, I don't think they'd have let me on the show, which is fair, because this is Jeopardy, not Funny You Should Ask.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

This was at least the second "Notorious" FJ about LB. I remember one about a woman who was usually described as a redhead but whose passport said her hair was light brown.

How many Jeopardy! viewers needed to be told who she was, anyhow? Rodgers seemed unaware that her claim to fame was not that her alleged victims were family members, but that she was a "lady" accused of a double ax murder. If she hadn't been balked in all her attempts to buy poison we'd never have heard of her. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, LadyintheLoop said:

Rodgers seemed unaware that her claim to fame was not that her alleged victims were family members, but that she was a "lady" accused of a double ax murder. If she hadn't been balked in all her attempts to buy poison we'd never have heard of her. 

I think the fact that she hacked -- or was accused of hacking -- her father and stepmother to death speaks pretty strongly to why she became famous, not that she was a female. Her trial was a national sensation in 1892 and still commands interest today. If she had fed hydrogen cyanide those two family members, she probably still would be pretty famous, although the words to that song would be different: "Lizzie Borden poisoned some bread, And shortly thereafter her father was dead."

To say Mr. Rodgers was "unaware" of Lizzie Borden being a female accused of a double axe murder is nonsensical since she WAS a female accused of a double axe murder. That the victims were her immediate family, her parents, makes her "claim to fame" all the more horrible and memorable.

And pretty much universally known, based on so many posters here correctly answering FJ with ease.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Frankly, he also pronounced "Borden" as though it was the suspect word rather than "Lizzie," at least to my ears.  It was strange.

Yeah, I definitely heard him say Bor-DEN when the first contestant's response was revealed. It was odd.

Now that I'm used to Aaron's delivery, I think he's fine. My main gripe is that he sometimes takes a long time to make a ruling, which throws off the pace of the game. It really goes to show how difficult this job can be and how easy Alex made it look.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Likewise, if I'd been trying out to be on the show and, when I couldn't think of "Fatal Attraction," if I yelled "The Boiler Bunny!" like I did here at home, I don't think they'd have let me on the show, which is fair, because this is Jeopardy, not Funny You Should Ask.

I said "Fatal Instinct."  Not, of course, to be confused with "Basic Attraction."

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Yeah, I definitely heard him say Bor-DEN when the first contestant's response was revealed. It was odd.

Now that I'm used to Aaron's delivery, I think he's fine. My main gripe is that he sometimes takes a long time to make a ruling, which throws off the pace of the game. It really goes to show how difficult this job can be and how easy Alex made it look.

I heard it as trying to make Borden out of Bordon. I think her e wasn't formed too perfectly and he was confused, as was I, at to what he was seeing. Not only does he have all this pressure as stunt host, he's gotta read their writing.  When I have to sign for a credit card purchase, I feel the contestants' pain where that's concerned.

853fisher was absolutely correct about one aspect of "Annapolis" - the closed captioning said, NAPLS, which took a few seconds to sink in. The rest of the discussion is one I'm staying out of, as I don't know enough about it.

I got the Producers clue easily, even though I haven't seen the musical - all I've seen is the Mostel/Wilder original movie. The titles of the songs just seemed so Mel Brooks.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I said "Fatal Instinct."  Not, of course, to be confused with "Basic Attraction."

Ha - I damn well knew which movie it was, but couldn't spit out the title at first; somehow what came to mind as Glenn Close was talking (thank goodness this was a video clue to give my brain time to right itself) was Basic Instinct

What followed was quite the rapid-fire thought process:  No, that's the Sharon Stone movie.  What's the one Close is in with Michael Douglas where she boils the bunny and says she's not going to be ignored?!  Holy hell, I've seen this film and it's such a piece of pop culture it's parodied all over the place; if you asked me an hour ago I'd instantly know, but for some reason right now I am drawing a blank. 

I remembered in time, but that was a rather exhausting process for what should have been a pretty easy clue for someone my age.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I was surprised nobody knew lumenol. They must not watch any true crime shows.

Or any fictional crime shows. Thank you CSI, and a myriad of other shows (and books).

After getting FJ, I had to recite the entire poem.  If I recall correctly, it's a poem/chant that originated during her trial. It's kind of an American "ring around the rosie"

• Love 4
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Exactly. I can say I graduated from Ames and people would know I went to Iowa State. But "Ames" is not the name of the school. Just like if someone says he went to school at "Carbondale," I know he went to Southern Illinois University. Carbondale is the location, not the name.

And the list goes on, but to cut to the chase, "Annapolis" was not a correct answer.

Not to beat a dead horse BUT I'm from Pittsburgh and wouldn't know what you meant if you said "Ames" or "Carbondale".  I think it's regional.  More people around the DC area (or who have family there) might've heard the Naval Academy called "Annapolis", but I disagree that it's nearly as entrenched as "West Point" is for USMA.

I got The Producers, Kingsford, Piper, luminal (thanks to Law & Order), and finally an instaget of Lizzie Borden. Thank goodness my Dr Oz curse is over. (I got LBJ the day before) I knew the Glenn Close movie, but was another person yelling the bunny boiler. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, ErinV said:

Not to beat a dead horse BUT I'm from Pittsburgh and wouldn't know what you meant if you said "Ames" or "Carbondale".  I think it's regional.  More people around the DC area (or who have family there) might've heard the Naval Academy called "Annapolis", but I disagree that it's nearly as entrenched as "West Point" is for USMA.

I'm Canadian, and I said "Annapolis". Now you have me wondering where that came from. I wouldn't have known Naval Academy, only Annapolis, and when the correct answer of Naval Academy was revealed, I was surprised as I hadn't heard it called that before.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

If anyone is interested, mystery writer Walter Satterthwait wrote a two book series featuring Lizzie Borden: Miss Lizzie and New York Nocturne. I'm not a fan of his Joshua Croft books, but I loved the Lizzie two and the Escapade, Masquerade, Cavalcade trilogy.

I came up with Brasilia (however it's spelled), proud that I knew Rio was not the capital, and debated between Bogota & Buenos Aires for my second pick. Sigh. It comes down to tomorrow whether I'm at T41 or T40. 

• Love 3

I started out so well! Got all of Ivy League, Heavy metal (got nickel in part because of Alex's book!), 4 each in Texas and Guitars and Drums, and missed 2 noun/verbs; 77% in the first round. I was feeling pretty good... and then I got zero in Wipe Out, one Woman on a Stamp, and no more than three in any other category in DJ for a grand total of 38%. 

Of the five TS's in the game…I got none.

And I got half of FJ (Buenos Aires). 57% for the game.

Boo.

• Love 1

I said Brasilia and Buenos Aires.  I briefly considered Bogota, but that would have been a replacement for Beunos Aires.  i was so sure of Brasilia.  Oh well.

I gotthe misses of Marian Anderson and Porthos.

• Love 1

I'm going to be watching something else tonight, so checked the archive while I ate my lunch.

The Al Pacino TS surprised me; maybe they got tripped up by the Fredo part.  Impeachment was surprising, too.

I ran the first round (well, by giving myself credit for a couple of clues I feel confident I'd have known had I been able to see the visual).  In DJ, I got all the women on stamps even without being able to see them.  I also ran the Constitution and Wipe Out categories, but missed three each in books and TV songs and two in Europe.

For FJ, I knew Buenos Aires immediately, but it took a moment for Bogotá to come to me.  I had Santiago as the third, though, so it's good we only had to name two.

• Love 1

Another case in which the third place contestant should have bet zero!  She would have been the new champ if she had.

I got Buenos Aires, but then wandered around South America (in my head), before settling on Santiago.  Then I second-guessed it to Sao Paolo.  Bogota never occurred to me, although in retrospect, it certainly should have!  Looks like I'm headed for the Table for One this week.

And the only ones they didn't get that I did were Porthos and A Thousand Acres.   I could not come up with Marian Anderson's last name for anything.

• Love 2

I also said Brasilia immediately, with the addition of Lima. Had I thought of Buenos Aires first, I would have probably gone with that, but I thought of it after the other two. I didn't think Bogota was big enough, so had discounted it.

Shout out to @Clanstarling's Smelly Cat. (Reference: Small Talk thread)

It occurred to me that people criticizing Aaron's Rodgers' pronunciation/speech patterns have never been to Wisconsin, much less way up north to Green Bay. It's got a dialect all its own. Even a little bit of time there can mess up your diction.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I said Brasilia and Buenos Aires.  I briefly considered Bogota, but that would have been a replacement for Beunos Aires.  i was so sure of Brasilia.  Oh well.

Me too: I said Brasilia & Buenos Aires.  Lima would not have come to mind at all.

I was certain of Buenos Aires, fairly sure on Bogota, and debated between Santiago and Caracas for #3.  Lucky we didn't need three.  I was fairly certain Brasilia was too small (although upon later review, it's larger than I thought it was).  Lima never even crossed my mind.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'll say it now: I hate Pasquale.  And I didn't know Lima or Bogota.

I missed all but FJ last night (and said Buenos Aeres and Santiago). What did you hate about Pasquale?

There were very few missed clues last night. I got the three DDs and I knew Bogota and Buenos Aires* for FJ. I’ve been to Bogota a few times and it really is a nice city. The Gold Museum is not to be missed. My slump is definitely over...for now. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And the only ones they didn't get that I did were Porthos and A Thousand Acres.   I could not come up with Marian Anderson's last name for anything.

I got A Thousand Acres solely because I watched it on a flight many years ago and vaguely remembered the King Lear connection.

I don't even remember which South American cities I named, as I am hopeless when it comes to South America.

Shout out to @Clanstarling's Smelly Cat. (Reference: Small Talk thread)

It occurred to me that people criticizing Aaron's Rodgers' pronunciation/speech patterns have never been to Wisconsin, much less way up north to Green Bay. It's got a dialect all its own. Even a little bit of time there can mess up your diction.

It took me a minute to remember the small talk topic. Your memory's better than mine!

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I missed all but FJ last night (and said Buenos Aeres and Santiago). What did you hate about Pasquale?

Thinking about it since last night, I decided he came across as very full of himself.  Probably he's not like that at all, but that was the impression I got.  Also, I think he looks a bit like a former manager of mine whom I did not like.

Aaron's doing fine, although I do find his voice a bit, idk, monotone-ish maybe?  I could live with him doing longer than 2 weeks.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I knew Buenos Aires was correct.  My other choice was Brasilia.  I did briefly think of Colombia but couldn't remember the capital.

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

Me too.  I was rather surprised that no one knew Marian Anderson.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Al Pacino TS surprised me; maybe they got tripped up by the Fredo part.  Impeachment was surprising, too.

The Fredo thing was what screwed me up.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

In DJ, I got all the women on stamps even without being able to see them.  I also ran the Constitution and Wipe Out categories, but missed three each in books and TV songs and two in Europe.

I struggled with Wipe Out for some reason, and missed impeachment, but ran the other 3 categories.  It helped that I worked at a book store for 11 years.

• Love 2

Aaron is a product of California, so he probably doesn't have a Wisconsin accent.  I live in his home town of Chico and am so happy that his charity is helping out small businesses in our part of the state.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I struggled with Wipe Out for some reason, and missed impeachment, but ran the other 3 categories.  It helped that I worked at a book store for 11 years.

My brain was just not working fast enough to get the Wipe Out clues in the time allotted. If I'd had more time to think I'm sure I would have gotten them.

8 years in bookstore...but it was not helping me as much as I would have hoped last night.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm going to be watching something else tonight, so checked the archive while I ate my lunch.

I ran the first round (well, by giving myself credit for a couple of clues I feel confident I'd have known had I been able to see the visual).  In DJ, I got all the women on stamps even without being able to see them.  I also ran the Constitution and Wipe Out categories, but missed three each in books and TV songs and two in Europe.

For FJ, I knew Buenos Aires immediately, but it took a moment for Bogotá to come to me.  I had Santiago as the third, though, so it's good we only had to name two.

The Fredo question was odd.  But good on Pasquale for knowing John Cazale right away!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

What did you hate about Pasquale?

Thinking about it since last night, I decided he came across as very full of himself.  Probably he's not like that at all, but that was the impression I got.  Also, I think he looks a bit like a former manager of mine whom I did not like.

Poor, schlubby, Pasquale. I knew viewers at home would find him unlikeable. But really, he was just earnestly playing the game, not pausing for niceties. I found him irritating too, but at the same time respected his strengths. However, I wonder if in another round with the previous champion which one would win, since he was pretty formidable too.

I did come up with Buenos Aires and Bogota, but I don't know that I would have actually written them if I was there. I've never been to South America; I just know that in the U.S. often state capitals (e.g. Springfield, IL; Sacramento, CA; Albany, NY) tend to be much smaller than the bigger cities in those states (i.e., Chicago, LA, SF, and NYC) so I was afraid Bogota might be smaller than Sacto, like maybe more the size of Lodi, heh. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Aaron is a product of California, so he probably doesn't have a Wisconsin accent. 

Note the bolded part of what was quoted, the sentence that reads "Even a little bit of time there can mess up your diction." Also ... "probably." If you've never been to Green Bay, you can't understand what I'm saying.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

FYI, I live in the greater Milwaukee area and Aaron’s run on Jeopardy is being treated as Big News. On all three major channels, they run a puff piece about it about every half hour. If you didn’t know he was on Jeopardy, you’re in your bunker somewhere. 

I do hear a slight WI intonation in Aaron’s speech. I’m from NJ and my family says I now sound “so Midwest”. So it gets you. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

FYI, I live in the greater Milwaukee area and Aaron’s run on Jeopardy is being treated as Big News.

LOL! Aaron's Jeopardy run is Big News everywhere, even TMZ has something to say about it every day. It's made me think Jeopardy doing guest hosts is the biggest PR coup of the century, every time a new host starts, the PR machine starts all over again, it's Jeopardy 24/7 on all the news shows. However, I feel your pain getting the Concentrated Wisconsin Aaron Overdose. It's bad enough during football season, now it's every day anyway everywhere!

I grew up in Wisconsin and don’t think Aaron sounds like us at all. I live in Chicago now but am a life long Packers fan so I am delighted to see Aaron. I do think he isn’t as smooth as some of the others but those guests ( plus Ken) are professional hosts of shows so they have more experience.

• Love 7

I got FJ.  I was half afraid it might be Watership Down, though.

I got the ts of Call of the Wild, Glasgow, Shiva/Brahma/Vishnu and copper

A got the entire category of conjuction right.  And once again Conjunction Junction is going through my head.

• Love 3

FJ should have been an instaget today, but I got distracted by the rabbit and first thought "Watership Down".  Then I remembered the category -- American Literature -- and I paid attention to the year, and got it in the nick of time.  I guess two of the contestants forgot the category, too.

Call Of The Wild was a surprising TS.  I got that along with Glasgow and cognac. And I'll likely be at least humming, if not singing, Conjunction Junction the rest of the day. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

FJ should have been an instaget today, but I got distracted by the rabbit and first thought "Watership Down".

Me, too. 

I did get all the Literary First Lines except one, at least. And I did pretty well on the booze clues, despite the fact that I rarely drink.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ should have been an instaget today, but I got distracted by the rabbit and first thought "Watership Down".  Then I remembered the category -- American Literature -- and I paid attention to the year, and got it in the nick of time.  I guess two of the contestants forgot the category, too.

Call Of The Wild was a surprising TS.  I got that along with Glasgow and cognac. And I'll likely be at least humming, if not singing, Conjunction Junction the rest of the day. 

Yes, I thought Call of the Wild was a clue not too long ago. I got that plus Glasgow, Santo Domingo, and Horus. But I also got hung up on the rabbit in FJ, and all the bunny stories I could think of were by British authors.  I knew the date was too early for Watership Down, anyway. I settled on The Velveteen Rabbit.

Great game by Dennis!

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I have no idea who the current host is,

Aaron Rodgers, NFL quarterback and winner of a Celebrity Jeopardy match several years ago.

Glasgow was a bit surprising as a TS, with "go" in the category.  The Call of the Wild, too (even though that one stumped me well), along with copper (at least that no one even guessed an element one might make a pot out of), and, especially, cognac.

I've never read any of the books in the first lines category, and only figured out three of them based on the clues.  Same with action figures, but a little worse -- I only figured out two of those.  I only ran conjunctions and places, but only missed one each in the remaining first round categories.

In DJ, I turned in my usual poor performance in the mythology category, only coming up with one (blacksmith, since I didn't actually need to know mythology).  I was pretty bad in historic people, too, only getting two.  I ran acids, musical godfathers, and still figures, and only missed one "urge" (the British word for zucchini) so at least it wasn't a disaster of a round for me.

FJ was an instaget.  I thought I got all of them this week, but remembered I didn't come up with LBJ until time had been called, so it doesn't count.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Yes, I thought Call of the Wild was a clue not too long ago. I got that plus Glasgow, Santo Domingo, and Horus. But I also got hung up on the rabbit in FJ, and all the bunny stories I could think of were by British authors.  I knew the date was too early for Watership Down, anyway. I settled on The Velveteen Rabbit.

Great game by Dennis!

I also came up with Velveteen Rabbit, but was certain it was wrong due to the farm aspect. Plus, I had the book on my mind as I just bought it earlier today for a friend who is having a baby.

• Love 2

I was pleased to see Dennis do so well.  We haven't met, at least that I recall, but he is a good friend of friends.

Egyptologists everywhere will be shocked to learn that the closed captioner for this episode examined some ancient inscriptions and found reference to a previously unknown god, "Horace."

"Who is sea-ward" made me think of the great Jessica Walter.  I guess she did leave when she was good and ready after all.

I still think Aaron is doing well, but "thanks for that story" and similar comments end up sounding so flip, even though I know they're not.  I guess I just prefer more pep than is his style.

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2