Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I’m getting used to Aaron Rodgers. He has relaxed a lot since his first show. I had a decent night. I ran Literary First Lines despite not having read all the books. I ran another category too, but now forget which one. I came up with Glasgow, cognac and the FJ Of Mice and Men. Thank goodness. I really was having doubts about where my mind went. I think it went on spring break and forgot to take me. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Thinking about it since last night, I decided he came across as very full of himself.  Probably he's not like that at all, but that was the impression I got.  Also, I think he looks a bit like a former manager of mine whom I did not like.

Aaron's doing fine, although I do find his voice a bit, idk, monotone-ish maybe?  I could live with him doing longer than 2 weeks.

I do find if there's a contestant who reminds of someone I dislike, I tend to have negative feelings for the contestant, through no fault of theirs.

Aaron seems to have relaxed, and he's doing okay now. I mean, this week is his first day of work, right?

20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Note the bolded part of what was quoted, the sentence that reads "Even a little bit of time there can mess up your diction." Also ... "probably." If you've never been to Green Bay, you can't understand what I'm saying.

I have the unfortunate trait of picking up accents of the places I live and the friends/family I'm around (as a military brat, that's a lot of accents). Drove my father crazy. I don't even do it on purpose - sometimes I hate the accent. Now I'm living in an accent neutral place, so it's very nice.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ should have been an instaget today, but I got distracted by the rabbit and first thought "Watership Down".  Then I remembered the category -- American Literature -- and I paid attention to the year, and got it in the nick of time.  I guess two of the contestants forgot the category, too.

Call Of The Wild was a surprising TS.  I got that along with Glasgow and cognac. And I'll likely be at least humming, if not singing, Conjunction Junction the rest of the day. 

I knew Watership Down was too late, and Animal Farm likely didn't have a significant rabbit in it. Though I love Of Mice and Men, I'd forgotten the rabbit part - as the ending is what always sticks with me.

I've never read London, so I usually miss the clues concerning his books.

10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Yes, I thought Call of the Wild was a clue not too long ago. I got that plus Glasgow, Santo Domingo, and Horus. But I also got hung up on the rabbit in FJ, and all the bunny stories I could think of were by British authors.  I knew the date was too early for Watership Down, anyway. I settled on The Velveteen Rabbit.

Oddly, The Velveteen Rabbit never occurred to me. Oddly because it was my favorite book as a child, and a book that I read to my children.

10 hours ago, secnarf said:

I also came up with Velveteen Rabbit, but was certain it was wrong due to the farm aspect. Plus, I had the book on my mind as I just bought it earlier today for a friend who is having a baby.

Great gift!

• Love 1

I am extremely surprised at how much I like Aaron. Yes, he's kinda monotone, but so far I like him better than any of the other temps (admitting I completely skipped Oz). He doesn't seem to have the bad timing issues Ken and Katie did. I like his patter better. I don't follow football and didn't know anything about him before this week other than he was a football player and what his face looked like. I'm almost confused why I like him. It makes me want to watch him more to figure it out? It's weird.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I have the unfortunate trait of picking up accents of the places I live and the friends/family I'm around (as a military brat, that's a lot of accents). Drove my father crazy. I don't even do it on purpose - sometimes I hate the accent. Now I'm living in an accent neutral place, so it's very nice.

I do that too. I worry that the person I'm talking to will be offended, but it's more likely others listening will be. I just had a nice outdoors chat with my English neighbor, so if I'm typing with British syntax, that's why.

For FJ I knew Animal Farm was wrong because "farm" was in the clue, and I knew Watership Down was too late, but I couldn't think of anything else. My ex-husband of decades ago used to brag that "Of Mice and Men" was the only book he ever read. I wonder if he would have known FJ. 

I ran the Connecting with Conjunctions, struck out on the Mythological Trios ("Trios"?? I can barely do Singles), and the rest I knew at least some.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I do that too. I worry that the person I'm talking to will be offended, but it's more likely others listening will be. I just had a nice outdoors chat with my English neighbor, so if I'm typing with British syntax, that's why.

It's a burden and a gift. And yes, it does carry with it the risk that someone will be offended. 😞

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

It's a burden and a gift.

Yes, both. I'm the same about picking up accents so I have a sensitive ear about them. It took me years to get rid of what I called my Southern Ohio Hilljack accent after college. Hard to describe it, but I had a grocery clerk ask me if I was British.

• Love 2

I pick up not only accents but also vocabulary and sentence structure.  People can always tell if I've recently read a novel by a British author.  And some of the vocabulary/phrasing sticks forever.  I prefer the sound of "It's meant to rain this afternoon" to "It's supposed to rain this afternoon."  Or worse (?), I picked up the phrase "too much of" from a grad student years ago -- as in, "too much of rain!"  I don't use these things to mock, I just like the way they sound.

• Love 5

I knew FJ. We watched that movie in middle school.  'can I feed the rabbits George?'.  Also it helped I'd never heard of watership down, but I looked it up based on responses.  It was written way later though.  

Still don't like rodgers as the host. And again I do actually like him as a player. Big fan and not because I'm a packers fan. As host though, no.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I pick up not only accents but also vocabulary and sentence structure.

That story deserves a GFY. Use it in your interview when you get on the show. Seriously! It's meant to be that you get on Jeopardy.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I am extremely surprised at how much I like Aaron. Yes, he's kinda monotone, but so far I like him better than any of the other temps (admitting I completely skipped Oz). He doesn't seem to have the bad timing issues Ken and Katie did. I like his patter better. I don't follow football and didn't know anything about him before this week other than he was a football player and what his face looked like. I'm almost confused why I like him. It makes me want to watch him more to figure it out? It's weird.

I joked that he was going to put me to sleep during his first show, but I noticed I find him more engaging when they show his face. He's usually smiling and doesn't look bored/disengaged like his voice alone might lead you to think.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That story deserves a GFY. Use it in your interview when you get on the show. Seriously! It's meant to be that you get on Jeopardy.

And have y'all snark on me?  I don't think so!  Seriously, though, my reflexes are slower than they used to be, and I'm sure I'd be all deer-in-the-headlights, answer-on-the-tip-of-my-tongue, and fail miserably.  I'll stick to playing at home!  🙂 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I pick up not only accents but also vocabulary and sentence structure.  People can always tell if I've recently read a novel by a British author.  And some of the vocabulary/phrasing sticks forever.  I prefer the sound of "It's meant to rain this afternoon" to "It's supposed to rain this afternoon."  Or worse (?), I picked up the phrase "too much of" from a grad student years ago -- as in, "too much of rain!"  I don't use these things to mock, I just like the way they sound.

One of my favourite Britishisms: 'Your face wants washing,' or, 'Your shoes want polishing.'

(Note my 'inverted commas.')

• Love 7

At one point in my life, I watched a bunch of Alan Rickman movies back-to-back. The accents were so compelling, my internal dialogue developed a Brit accent.

I had no idea for FJ, but knew it wasn't Watership Down because the clue said "novella" and WD is far from a novella. As I look at my bookshelf, the only two books wider than WD are the complete stories & poems of EA Poe and the complete Sherlock Holmes.

I wouldn't stop watching if Rodgers became the host, but I'd never be as attached as I was to Trebek.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Well, hello Harry Potter fan!

Sorry, couldn't help it. If we can't snark on @Browncoat I guess you will have to do, PW.

Sorry, but this was pre-Potter. Never read a Potter book nor saw a Potter movie. My only fault in my Rickman Love.  Hahahaha.  Go ahead, snark. I dare ya.

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And you are welcome to snark on me in the forums, but I'd probably be a swaying, buzzer-flailing, up-speaking, vocal-frying, bad wardrobe, and bad hair mess on TV.  

Oh, now you HAVE to apply and get on the show, you'd be gold, I tell you, snarking GOLD. Start practicing your Statue of Liberty buzzer holding now.

Alan Rickman. One of my biggest celebrity crushes. Broke my heart when he left us. RIP.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

When I used to come home from William and Mary to Detroit, I would get accused of sounding Southern.  Then after some time home when I went back to school, I was told I sounded Canadian (which my Dad's family were but they were based in New England) so I think it must have been easy access back and forth across the border in those days plus a lot of CBC television (which also was responsible for my occasional jaunts into a Manchester accent - thank you Coronation Street).

Also count me in on the Alan Rickman bandwagon - I just watched Galaxy Quest again recently (partly because I think it is a fun movie but mostly for him). 

Not that I ever think I really stand a chance of getting on the show but my hairdresser (who is also a fan) is already committed to come with me to make sure my hair looks good and to approve my wardrobe (hey it never hurts to plan a little).    

• Love 8

We're being given a training by a representative of the influential state trade group for our industry.  She just said she will give us a "pr-eye-mer" on a certain issue.  I guess I'll have to double check all her other info too now. 😉

• LOL 7
On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2021 at 10:28 PM, Bastet said:

Glasgow was a bit surprising as a TS, with "go" in the category.

I thought so too, but maybe they all pronounce it incorrectly (ending with the "ow" sound) and couldn't think of it as ending in "go"?

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 8:06 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I wouldn't stop watching if Rodgers became the host, but I'd never be as attached as I was to Trebek.

I can't imagine becoming as attached as I was to Alex.

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2021 at 9:46 AM, Browncoat said:

Truly, Madly, Deeply

Anyone who didn't love Alan Rickman after that movie has no soul.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought so too, but maybe they all pronounce it incorrectly (ending with the "ow" sound) and couldn't think of it as ending in "go"?

I think that was the second clue. So, they might have thought that it had to actually begin with, or end with, go and not have go any old where in the word.

• Love 1

I was only half paying attention to most of the first round (edit: and the second 🙄), but I got Television Without Pity! Sadly I discovered it only months before it shut down. 😞 I miss the recaps.

Also buckyball, which my uncle (by marriage) won a Nobel prize (with two others) for discovering. 😊

• Love 13

I loved Former Websites.  In a few years, I'll be telling my brothers' kids some of these stories.  "When I was your age, my father taught me how to search on AltaVista and create documents in WordPerfect.  And the computer had its own little corner of the front room!"  "Sure, Uncle 853, anything you say.  Let's get you to bed now!"

Famous Families was a damp squib for me, though.  Drew wasn't a great clue reader, and the material was dull.  "Here's a photo of Debbie Reynolds, what's her name?" and "What last name do actors David, Patricia, and Rosanna share?" was hardly riveting trivia.  If Debbie Reynolds is really obscure enough now to be worth $800, I'll need to go breathe into a paper bag.

I was just reading about 1932's "Rasputin and the Empress," the only film in which Ethel, John, and Lionel Barrymore all appeared.  Princess Irina successfully sued MGM for libel, because the character identifiable as her is raped by Rasputin.  The usual "all persons fictitious" disclaimer is a result of that fallout.  That might have made an interesting toughie for the top box.

I hadn't heard it called Indian candy, but that question made me hungry.  I love to get some from Stagnaro Bros. on the Municipal Wharf at Santa Cruz and watch the sea lions.  Things are opening back up there, but not many of my favorites.  I miss weekending down there very much, but I'm not interested in the trip down there by public transit at this time either.  Sigh.

23 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I was only half paying attention to most of the first round, but I got Television Without Pity! Sadly I discovered it only months before it shut down. 😞 I miss the recaps.

I'll drink to that!  I was a "lurker" there for a long time and it was a nasty surprise when it shut down.  Many old-style forums I used to follow were winding down around that time.  Previously.TV / Primetimer is certainly a space I enjoy, but it's not quite the same.  That said, long may it flourish!  Not everything needs to be a damn Facebook Group.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
13 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I'll drink to that!  I was a "lurker" there for a long time and it was a nasty surprise when it shut down.  Many old-style forums I used to follow were winding down around that time.  Previously.TV / Primetimer is certainly a space I enjoy, but it's not quite the same.  That said, long may it flourish!  Not everything needs to be a damn Facebook Group.

I was a lurker there, too. My boss at the time is the one who told me about it. I found Previously.tv while looking for recaps after they shut down...but then they stopped doing them, too. I still have Vulture and TV Line for a few shows but the snark level is just not the same (and I haven't even been reading them since the shows came back this spring).

• Love 2

Australia was an instaget, but I had no idea on the other country so lucky we didn't need both.

I got the missed clues of Bonneville and MtV.

I got the entire categories of Drew's Clues, American Food and tv by the number right.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, M. Darcy said:

OMG!!! TWOP!!  

I got everything right in the British History category.  And yet again, no one knew William Blake. 

I said Wordsworth:(

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I was only half paying attention to most of the first round (edit: and the second 🙄), but I got Television Without Pity! Sadly I discovered it only months before it shut down. 😞 I miss the recaps.

Also buckyball, which my uncle (by marriage) won a Nobel prize (with two others) for discovering. 😊

TWoP brought back memories. I was a long time poster and lurker after I got kicked out the first time (a new IP address & user name got me back on the board. Don’t tell anyone. LOL) They had some strict moderation on that site. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 15

I had no luck on FJ.  I found it tough to untangle winter and summer in my mind, especially when they used to be in the same year.  A friend insists that Germany is not correct, because the Munich games were held in West Germany.  He has no excuse as to why he couldn't name the other county instead 😉 but that is an interesting point.

• Love 2

Thank goodness the champ won again!  Buzzer-flailing Fox and Swaying Allison made me anxious.  

Shoutout to TWOP!!!  I found that site because of The West Wing, and it led me to The Amazing Race.  Of course I got that TS along with noble rot.

I had to think about FJ for a second, but came up with Australia in plenty of time.  I wasn't at all confident about it, though.  Germany never occurred to me.

• Love 7

I was on fire tonight! I got at least two daily missed doubles, I probably would have run the NPS category had we gotten to the last clue, because I got all the others...  Drew's Clues was easy as pie.

Pre-called "Bill Bryson" on Bill of Writes and was diappointed he wasn't there.

Whiffed FJ - I thought of Australia, but went with Mexico (?)

It amazes me how often I get a correct response in J! because I've been there on my Road Trips. The Vicksburg Military Park is just down the road from my hotel.  I went to see it, but a hurricane had come through the day before and it was closed because so many trees were down, across roadways.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1

The swaying made me nauseous looking at her and Fox looked way too nervous. Still enjoying my favorite player Aaron and think he is doing well. I was a longtime TWOP poster but got banned after I said I liked a contestant on American Idol. I could never figure out the reason and there wasn’t anyone you could ask about being banned!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

The swaying made me nauseous looking at her and Fox looked way too nervous.

Sounds like it was a good thing I wasn't paying attention. What was the woman's story about (see, I didn't even catch her name)? I only caught something about making her family angry and apparently that was... fun? Or something?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It amazes me how often I get a correct response in J! because I've been there on my Road Trips. The Vicksburg Military Park is just down the road from my hotel.  I went to see it, but a hurricane had come through the day before and it was closed because so many trees were down, across roadways.

Vicksburg was one of those that was on the tip of my tongue, but just wouldn't come out -- I was sitting here, saying, "Vvvvvvvvvvvvv- damn, missed it."

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I loved Former Websites.  In a few years, I'll be telling my brothers' kids some of these stories.  "When I was your age, my father taught me how to search on AltaVista and create documents in WordPerfect.  And the computer had its own little corner of the front room!"  "Sure, Uncle 853, anything you say.  Let's get you to bed now!"

Hah! Same here. AltaVista took me back to when I interviewed there in the 90s and suggested they incorporate some of newbie Google's methodology. They looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head.

8 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

OMG!!! TWOP!!  

Exactly what I yelled!

8 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I could almost hear all of us shouting PITY in tribute to that late, great site.  

I'm sure I did hear it! My screen name was born on FanForum, but it had a good run on TWoP. 

It was nice to hear the champ tell about his work in South Africa. Alex would have appreciated it, no doubt.

• Love 11
56 minutes ago, HelenBaby said:

TWoP brought back memories. I was a long time poster and lurker after I got kicked out the first time (a new IP address & user name got me back on the board. Don’t tell anyone. LOL) They had some strict moderation on that site. 

Nooooo!!! Boards on boards!

And since it’s Jeopardy!, it’s boards on boards on boards. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Couldn’t help adding my “clever” Jeopardy-related comment
  • LOL 21
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

What was the woman's story about (see, I didn't even catch her name)? I only caught something about making her family angry and apparently that was... fun? Or something?

She and her husband like to take an "ugly photo" when they travel.  I assumed all was in good fun, and that the reactions from family were along the lines of some of my relatives who will grumble "couldn't you have smiled in that one if it was going to be on The Facebook?" 😉  I thought it was a cute story, although I probably would have chosen a word other than "angry."

I was more taken aback by the anecdote Fox chose to share.  That was a rather blasé discussion of being a teen runaway and then homeless for several months.  I hope things have stabilized for him.  Hey, he made it to Jeopardy!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

She and her husband like to take an "ugly photo" when they travel.  I assumed all was in good fun, and that the reactions from family were along the lines of some of my relatives who will grumble "couldn't you have smiled in that one if it was going to be on The Facebook?" 😉  I thought it was a cute story, although I probably would have chosen a word other than "angry."

Okay, that does sound kinda fun.

I was more taken aback by the anecdote Fox chose to share.  That was a rather blasé discussion of being a teen runaway and then homeless for several months.  I hope things have stabilized for him.  Hey, he made it to Jeopardy!

I totally missed his story. That sounds sad.

• Love 1

She and her husband like to take an "ugly photo" whenever they travel.    I assumed all was in good fun, and that the reactions from family were along the lines of some of my relatives who will grumble "couldn't you have smiled in that one if it was going to be on The Facebook?" 😉  I probably would have chosen a word other than "angry."

I was more taken aback by Fox's story.  That was a rather blasé discussion of being a teen runaway and then homeless for several months.  I hope things have stabilized for him.  Hey, he made it to Jeopardy!

No kidding about that story.  Like the one last week about getting lost on a field trip in grade school.

Twops shout out! Loved that sight.  Migrated here when it disappeared.  

I guessed china for FJ but was thinking Australia too

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It was framed as "at 15 I hitchhiked from Ontario to California and ended up sleeping in Golden Gate Park [the Central Park of San Francisco] for six months."  Perhaps I am reading too much into it because he reminds me of various queer people I know, and perhaps I shouldn't speculate on a stranger's life story based on a 20 second chat, but it sounded awfully sad to me.  If he's reframed it in a way that he can speak about it on the terms he did, more power to him, but I found it tough to hear.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
17 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

3 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

It was framed as "at 15 I hitchhiked from Ontario to California and ended up sleeping in Golden Gate Park [the Central Park of San Francisco] for six months."  Perhaps I am reading too much into it because he reminds me of various queer people I know, and perhaps I shouldn't speculate on a stranger's life story based on a 20 second chat, but it sounded awfully sad to me.  If he's reframed it in a way that he can speak about it on the terms he did, more power to him, but I found it tough to hear.

Since I did something similar at 19 I missed the significance of his age. 😞

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I had no luck on FJ.  I found it tough to untangle winter and summer in my mind, especially when they used to be in the same year.  A friend insists that Germany is not correct, because the Munich games were held in West Germany.  He has no excuse as to why he couldn't name the other county instead 😉 but that is an interesting point.

I spent the entire time debating between Germany and Australia, and this was part of what gave me pause about Germany. For Australia, I could only recall the Sydney Olympics but thought it was likely they had another summer games at some point in history. I ended up going with Germany, but was a bit unsure if the Munich games would count.

My memory really seems to have abandoned me though - While contemplating FJ, I couldn't for the life of me recall the names of the German cities. It was "the one with Hitler" and "the one with the terrorists".

I did get a chuckle out of the TWoP clue.

• Love 5