Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I live in tornado land so was positive that was the answer. Trailer parks are tornado magnets, and those mobile homes are always sucked off their foundations and demolished. Always. So that was a no brainer for me, I was stunned it was not tornado, which means it had to be hurricane. Earthquake ... eh, who knew.

At least they did accept that as an answer once they thought about it. Calfornia-centric writers, I'm guessing.

Having lived decades in both California (earthquakes) and Illinois (tornadoes) and having had parents who spent their last 30+ years in Hawaii (hurricanes and earthquakes)  and Florida (hurricanes), I do think "earthquake" was the best answer.
The clue was:
"redcross.org says hire a pro to make sure your home is securely anchored to its foundation for safety in one of these,"
(which made me yell "Earthquake!  Earthquake!  Earthquake!")  

Anyway, quickly (a minute) locating each of these redcross.org pages: How to Prepare for an EarthquakeHow to Prepare for a Tornado, and How to Prepare for a Hurricane, and looking at the "Protecting your home" section on each page, shows that only the earthquake "Protecting your home" section recommends "Have a professional make sure your home is securely anchored to its foundation."

I'm pretty sure the clue made me flash back to the requisite post-earthquake foundation inspection my parents had.
But perhaps too, while hearing/reading that clue, my brain was computing that a tornado or hurricane strong enough to rip a home off of a foundation --if the home was so "securely anchored to its foundation" that it could not be ripped off of the foundation-- would still sustain life threatening damage to those taking shelter within, e.g. spearing the home with a telephone pole at umpteen miles per hour.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I live in tornado land so was positive that was the answer. Trailer parks are tornado magnets, and those mobile homes are always sucked off their foundations and demolished. Always. So that was a no brainer for me, I was stunned it was not tornado, which means it had to be hurricane. Earthquake ... eh, who knew.

That was my thought process as well.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Trey said:

When I was a pre-teen/barely a teen I would go around spelling antidisestablishmentarianism to anyone who would listen - or even if they didn't😄

I even vaguely knew that it had something to do with the separation of church and state so FJ was an instaget for me. I was surprised that it was a ts.

I did the same but never knew its meaning. It was supposed to be the longest word in the English language. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

They were looking for the specific name Milton used in "Paradise Lost". It was "Satan", thus the "Santa" (haha) in the clue.

In Dana Carvey's Church Lady voice: "Could it be SATAN?????"     "Well, isn't that SPAYshul?!"

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

Nobody knew Tricia Nixon!  Too young!

If someone had asked me to identify her by a picture, or even name one of Richard Nixon's daughters, I couldn't have pulled it out of my memory.  But the "with a name close to her mom's" hint did the trick and I remembered there was a Tricia.  (Then I tried to remember the other one's name, but had to look it up - Julie.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Goodbye, Mehmet.  I wasn't a fan going in, but I still think he was by a long way the worst host we've had so far, and I actually think he got worse over the ten episodes.  I hope it was worth all the controversy.  Who am I kidding?  I'm sure they loved the publicity.

I just couldn't follow the Ukrainian clue and what they were asking for in time, but several other categories were good for me.  I got FJ too but wasn't confident.  His name was Jimmie Angel: why the host didn't say it during the reveal, I don't know.

The train entering the tunnel in "North By Northwest" is supposed to suggest the consummation of their relationship, for those with minds as pure as mine.  I just thought it was a nice shot of a train on the rails.  Maybe that's why I'm not seeing anyone right now?

I had an afternoon in Chicago once when connections went awry.  Friends in town weren't available so I went to the movies for "North By."  A great tip for dialing up the tension of a suspenseful movie is to leave yourself just minutes longer than you need to get back for your flight.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

His name was Jimmie Angel: why the host didn't say it during the reveal, I don't know.

Cuz he's not a very good host?

It's been bugging me how often he sounds surprised when they get a question right.

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, laredhead said:

And Julie married David Eisenhower, the former president's grandson.  They are in my age group so it was big news back in the day.

I didn't know that.  

39 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Goodbye, Mehmet.  I wasn't a fan going in, but I still think he was by a long way the worst host we've had so far, and I actually think he got worse over the ten episodes.  I hope it was worth all the controversy.  Who am I kidding?  I'm sure they loved the publicity.

I just couldn't follow the Ukrainian clue and what they were asking for in time, but several other categories were good for me.  I got FJ too but wasn't confident.  His name was Jimmie Angel: why the host didn't say it during the reveal, I don't know.

The train entering the tunnel in "North By Northwest" is supposed to suggest the consummation of their relationship, for those with minds as pure as mine.  I just thought it was a nice shot of a train on the rails.  Maybe that's why I'm not seeing anyone right now?

I had an afternoon in Chicago once when connections went awry.  Friends in town weren't available so I went to the movies for "North By."  A great tip for dialing up the tension of a suspenseful movie is to leave yourself just minutes longer than you need to get back for your flight.

The sopranos once did a similar shot but much less subtle.  And obviously an homage to this film. 

I honestly thought smh was so much hate, not shaking my head.  Now I feel like phil dunphy thinking wtf was why the face.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I honestly thought smh was so much hate, not shaking my head.

I thought that, too, probably because it usually makes more sense when I see it (or at least when I first saw it). I've long known what it really stands for but I still read it that way.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget.

the only missed clue I got was Switzerland.

I got the whole Disney Dwarf category right and the whole language category wrong (not a shining moment for me).

31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Cuz he's not a very good host?

It's been bugging me how often he sounds surprised when they get a question right.

I think he's just trying to be enthusiastic for them, but it is a bit ott.

• Love 1

So long, Dr. Quack.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.  I also thought he got worse with time, and it really annoyed me when he put on his surprised voice when people got things right.

I had no idea there was a person named Angel, but since the clue was "Eponymous Landmarks", and I could only think of Angel Falls, I went with Angel.  Good for me!

The only TS I got were Switzerland and chaplain (thank you, Father Mulcahy!).

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

So long, Dr. Quack.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.  I also thought he got worse with time, and it really annoyed me when he put on his surprised voice when people got things right.

I think he was surprised because HE didn't know it and didn't expect anyone else to because, y'know, he's a SURGEON.  I wish the charity had not been his.

I was also annoyed by Middle Lady not phrasing in the form of a question and Quack not reminding her about her phrasing.

• Love 9

I was reading The Witching Hour by Anne Rice and when some character was leaving her house she tightened the tie downs on her A Frame house because a hurricane was iminent. That took me too hurricane as an answer. I also knew Chaplain from MASH. I’m glad to have finished the run of Dr Oz. Here’s the scary part. I did not get one single FJ while he was a host. Insert Twilight Zone music here. 

• Love 6

That Julie married David or that @laredhead is the same age?

Well really both but I meant that she married into the eisenhower family......

Because it was before my time of course.  

1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

I had no idea that Angel Falls was named after a person!

Following...

Yeah I didn't know angel falls was named after a person and just guessed angel because I couldn't think of anything else.  

• Love 1

Scott misspeaking during his interview story and saying "kill the family" was funny.

The chaplain TS was surprising, as was Crete a bit (not that no one knew the fact at hand, but that no one guessed it for a Greek island in a $600 clue).  But that was it - good game.

I thought the nephrologist clue was pretty easy for a DD in DJ.  Same with late great Kate.  I'd have bet big on both of those based on the categories, and then been ticked I didn't bet even more once they were revealed.

I ran the disco, cities, dwarfs, and Navy jobs categories, but missed two pacts and one shake (Frosty) in the first round.  In DJ, I didn't know a single clue in the books for young people category and missed two each in languages and trains.  But I ran triple rhyme time (that was a fun category), medicine, and women in Congress.

I correctly guessed FJ, figuring it was referring to Angel Falls, but I had no idea before tonight that it was named after a person.  Good thing they only required the last name!

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Was that a ts?  I guess I got one then. I didn't write it down for whatever reason.

A triple stumper means that all three contestants didn’t know the correct question for the answer. If you look under the main Jeopardy heading there is a thread of all of the abbreviations and jargon that we use in this thread. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

A triple stumper means that all three contestants didn’t know the correct question for the answer. If you look under the main Jeopardy heading there is a thread of all of the abbreviations and jargon that we use in this thread. 

I know what a ts is.  I keep track of mine.  I didn't realize that chaplain was one.  I got it right but didn't write it down.  thanks for personsplaining.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

figuring it was referring to Angel Falls, but I had no idea before tonight that it was named after a person

The "Angel Falls named after a person" has come up before (I think as a FJ) and every time I miss it and am surprised that it's named after a person! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, illdoc said:

The "Angel Falls named after a person" has come up before (I think as a FJ) and every time I miss it and am surprised that it's named after a person! 

Seems like another natural wonder that should return to whatever the natives of the area call it.

• Love 5

I like the current champ.  "Kill the family" - very funny; he will never live that down😄

I got the missed DD of Switzerland and the ts of chaplain.

I was totally blank for FJ.  I've heard of Angel Falls but I've never heard of an aviator named Angel.  I will look him up and maybe I'll remember next time he comes up.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Trey said:

I like the current champ.  "Kill the family" - very funny; he will never live that down😄

That was very funny, I like the way he heard what he said and laughingly corrected it. I like a person with a good sense of humor about themselves.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought everyone could easily give the correct questions for the Seven Dwarfs category. No?

Probably, if I had been given a sheet of paper and a short while to think over a nice cup of coffee.  Trying to beat the three smart people on TV hurrying to answer and win money?  They (specifically Mary) smoked me like an Easter ham.  I probably got 2 or 3.

• LOL 4
On 4/2/2021 at 6:31 PM, Bastet said:

If someone had asked me to identify her by a picture, or even name one of Richard Nixon's daughters, I couldn't have pulled it out of my memory.  But the "with a name close to her mom's" hint did the trick and I remembered there was a Tricia.  

I got Tricia Nixon (I'm old enough, too), however... her mother's NAME wasn't really Patricia, it was Thelma. "Pat" was a nickname given to her by her father because her birthday was the day before St. Patrick's Day.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

I got Tricia Nixon (I'm old enough, too), however... her mother's NAME wasn't really Patricia, it was Thelma. "Pat" was a nickname given to her by her father because her birthday was the day before St. Patrick's Day.

And NIxon called her "Buddy."

• Useful 1
20 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I missed the intro of the new guest host.  I think he’s Aaron Rogers?  Quarterback for the Packers.  God almighty, he is awful.

Oh my god he's gonna put me to sleep... 😴

On a side note...today I learned we have a state microbe...who knew?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I started to keep score but then I got lost and gave up. Too tired/lazy to go through the archive. I know I got all the sculpture materials and the DD in the Hemingway category. No FJ here (I guessed Regis). I was rooting for Scott to keep going but new champ's okay.

I don't dislike Aaron, but man he needs to put some energy into it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I have a dog named Buddy. But then, who doesn't.

I had a dog named Buddy.  To be fair we adopted him when he was 3 years old and I didn't want to confuse the poor little guy any more by changing his name.

• Love 3
(edited)

Aaron is really bad - stiff and low energy. To be fair, I couldn’t do any better. But please - no more football players as game show hosts (I’m old enough to remember Rolf Benirschke’s disastrous turn as host of daytime “Wheel of Fortune.”) Experienced broadcasters only.

Edited by Kyle
  • Love 4

I wish they would just announce the host already - this is just getting painful. Aaron seems nice but he is not good at this.  I think J! made a bad decision to have all these guest hosts. 

• Love 2

I will always always always be here for Aaron Rodgers.  And he doesn’t even play for my team!  But I love him.  His hair, on the other hand...

I did not get FJ but said duh when the answer was revealed.

• Love 9

i didn't know Fj.  I guessed Alex trebek.

i don't think I got any ts.

I did get the entire category of sculpture material right, of all things.

I guess I'm wrong because they made it through the whole board, but I thought AR talked kind of slow.

And fun fact, I just read Alex's book and he named AR as one of the few who have been on Celeb Jeopardy who would do well on reg Jeopardy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Aaron is less bad than a couple of other guest hosts we've had recently.  But I would not want him in the gig permanently.

No FJ for me.  Someone on public television never occurred to me, although I'm not sure why not.  I said Phil Donohue -- he was very sensitive like that.

I didn't get any TS!  Not that there were many to get.  I got tired of the former champ's leaning, and the new champ's swaying.  The woman was too slow in choosing the next clue.  The new champ really reminded me of someone, but I can't figure out who. 

• Love 3

I missed FJ because I thought they meant daytime talk show or game show hosts--never occurred to me that the description could include the host of a children's show. But of course the quote totally made sense for Mr. Rogers. 

Also, it just occurred to me as I wrote this comment--did the clue writers use this as a little TY to Aaron Rodgers? Probably not, but it is an interesting coincidence.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

i didn't know Fj.  I guessed Alex trebek.

i don't think I got any ts.

I did get the entire category of sculpture material right, of all things.

I guess I'm wrong because they made it through the whole board, but I thought AR talked kind of slow.

And fun fact, I just read Alex's book and he named AR as one of the few who have been on Celeb Jeopardy who would do well on reg Jeopardy.

I guessed Alex Trebek too...sounded like something he would say.  And I agree, Aaron talked rather slow, but he did have a sense of humor(a trumpet called a 'sak butt"?!)

• Love 6

I'm back! After two weeks away during Dr. Oz's guest hosting stint, I have returned to watching the show again. Aaron Rodgers doesn't have the most emotive voice as a host, but he's easy going and it's clear he cares about the show.

I knew FJ! instantly. Here's the speech for those who haven't seen it:

• Love 10