Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I missed FJ - said Cancer.  The part about the weapon didn't make sense, so I figured I was probably wrong, but I did not come up with Orion.

Congratulations to Erick, but what was with that small wager?  When you are leading in a close game, you need to bet big in FJ.  He is lucky Dennis missed it, or Erick would be going home feeling bad.

Maybe he was anticipating missing the question.  

• Love 3

It was cool to have a contestant from Galena, Illinois on yesterday's show. Galena is worth a trip from anywhere, it's one of my favorite destinations. So many cool shops and so much to do and see. Highly recommend. Great eats, too.

Plus, drive north from Galena and there's the Dickeyville (Wisconsin) Grotto, then a bit further north and voilá, you're at House on the Rock. It's a win win!

• Love 4

I missed the first few minutes because I lost track of time, then I was again only partially paying attention (I'm really not doing well with that this week). I did get all the DDs and FJ. (Never connected "lavendar" and the root of "to wash" (lavar in Spanish) before. Ya' learn something new every day.)

The Mel Gibson version of Hamlet came out a few years before I graduated high school, and my senior year English teacher had us watch it in class. Never mind that senior English was supposed to be American Lit (we did Shakespeare the year before). Mel was still hot then. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Patrick seems nice enough, but Erick is just so soothing as a contestant.  

I didn’t see last Friday, but since Aaron started it seems like we’ve had four different champs in eight days.

I can’t recall the first DD, but I feel like i thought at the time it was rather easy.

Still loving Aaron, will be sad to see him go.

I said Hamlet first, briefly considered R&J, then stuck with my first instinct.

• Love 4

I waffled the entire Think Music time between Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet.  In the end, I went with Hamlet.  Good for me!  

I was sad that no one knew an Adelie is a penguin!  It's my favorite penguin!  (Although my current avatar is Chinstrap penguins.)  I also got pekoe, lavender, and Robert Burns.  I never connected lavender the color/flower with washing, either, but knowing "lave" is wash led me to the correct response.

I used to really like Mel Gibson -- The Year of Living Dangerously was an exceptional movie.  Too bad he turned out to be such an ass.

• Love 8

I said Macbeth.  Aargh.

i got the missed clues of penguin, Pekoe, and Robert Burns.

I got the entire categories of Batman, Hodgepodge, adjectives, math and celebrities right.  I don't think I have ever ran more than 3 categories before, except in teen or college tourneys.  Even then I don't think I have.

• Love 2

I was certain Romeo and Juliet was on the shorter side, so ruled that out immediately. Spent a good chunk of time trying to decide if Hamlet or Richard III was longer, before remembering the second part of the clue and going with Hamlet.

• Love 3

When the clue said "most filmed," I turned to the cats and said, "Well, we know it's not Titus Andronicus."  Finally settled on Hamlet. Yay, me! I got a Shakespeare clue correct!  Got lavender, too.

And, Browncoat, I got the Adelie penguin and thought of you.

• LOL 7
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I waffled the entire Think Music time between Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet.

I too first thought Hamlet and then wondered about R&J because of "most filmed." If I was there, I don't know which I would have written.

I was surprised Pekoe was a TS. Is that because I'm old? 

I correctly guessed Lavender because of the wording of the clue and my knowledge of colors. I didn't have time to think about the root "lave" meaning "to wash" --at least not consciously. 

I felt bad for not knowing penguin because my penguin-loving oldest daughter will be here next week. 

• Love 1

Shout out to @Browncoat with tonight's TS of Adélie.

I had no hope when I saw the FJ category. So I answered with the only Shakespeare play I could think of. I'm so not smart that sometimes this show makes me look brilliant. Thanks, FJ clue writers!

• Love 4

My Grandma watched Arthur Godfrey religiously. He was sponsored by Lipton. When the show was over, I would wander around the house (remember, I was about 4) repeatedly saying, "PEEkoe, PEEkoe, PEEkoe."  Nana would say, "Isn't it time you go home?"  (We lived next door.)  So that clue was REALLY easy for me. Bwaahahahaha.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 4/13/2021 at 8:21 PM, Driad said:

The hosts often wish the contestants good luck before the game starts.  Since two of them will lose, presumably "good luck" means something like "I hope none of you make a stupid mistake that will haunt you"?

Before my game started, I hoped and prayed that I would make it to Final Jeopardy with a positive score! I didn't want to be the regular contestant equivalent of Wolf Blitzer, who finished Double Jeopardy with a score of negative $4600.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

Ugh, once again someone decides to talk about the halftime show "wardrobe malfunction" with no mention of Justin Timberlake, just Janet Jackson.

I have never seen/read Batman, but I managed to get three of the villains based on the other information provided in the clues.  Similarly, I figured out/correctly guessed four in the biblically inspired titles.  It was only a decent round for me; the only category I ran was lawns.  I missed one each in the others.

I got better as I went along, though; in DJ, I ran math, malfunctions, and celebrities, and I correctly guessed FJ.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I can’t recall the first DD, but I feel like i thought at the time it was rather easy.

The first DD was Lord of the Flies.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I did the same.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Before my game started, I hoped and prayed that I would make it to Final Jeopardy with a positive score! I didn't want to be the regular contestant equivalent of Wolf Blitzer, who finished Double Jeopardy with a score of negative $4600.

Does anyone remember the first Celebrity tournament? At the time Trivial Pursuit had been launched & was really popular. Ed Begley Jr talked about it on talk shows & how he was so good at the game. He was a contestant and ended the game in the hole, but since it was a celebrity game, they changed his total from minus to plus just so he could play FJ and win a little something for his charity. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, HelenBaby said:

Does anyone remember the first Celebrity tournament? At the time Trivial Pursuit had been launched & was really popular. Ed Begley Jr talked about it on talk shows & how he was so good at the game. He was a contestant and ended the game in the hole, but since it was a celebrity game, they changed his total from minus to plus just so he could play FJ and win a little something for his charity. 

Sounds about right for Ed with his inflated sense of self importance.  

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I used to really like Mel Gibson -- The Year of Living Dangerously was an exceptional movie.  Too bad he turned out to be such an ass.

And hasn't aged well.

• Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 7:27 PM, ams1001 said:

I got Australia for FJ. Did not think of Germany.

Australia was a no-brainer for me.  Interesting note: the Melbourne closing ceremonies was the first time that all the athletes entered together rather than by nation at the suggestion of a young local boy.

I should've gotten Germany, because the Munich Olympics is the very first one I watched, but for some reason I got Vancouver stuck in my head (Winter, you idiot, winter!) and said Canada.  Good thing we only needed one of the two.

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 7:59 PM, M. Darcy said:

OMG!!! TWOP!!  

I got everything right in the British History category.  And yet again, no one knew William Blake. 

I didn't Jurassic for that coastline and I couldn't come up with William Blake to save my life.  I said William Morris knowing damn well it was wrong.  And I usually do get William Blake.

On 4/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, ams1001 said:

Again not totally paying attention but I got all the literary characters, so that makes me happy. Also 4 each in batteries and unity.

No final. I also said Sagittarius (guess I'm not the only one who thought the weapon was an arrow; I'm not real up on my constellations).

Would have liked to see Dennis keep going, but I like the new guy well enough.

Aaron seems to be more relaxed this week. He continues to grow on me. I felt bad for him that no one got the Packers clue (not that I got it, either, but I didn't get anything in that category.).

I ran the literary characters category. I went with Sagittarius and then started thinking there might have been a sword in Orion's belt. There was. I lost.

On 4/13/2021 at 7:05 PM, saber5055 said:

Meanwhile, FJ was a literal instaget. I love star watching and am out in the pitch black of my property for every meteor show and other cosmic event. Every time I'm out at night I see Orion, the only constellation I can easily see (well, besides the dippers). I don't even know where Sagittarius is, even though I am one.

I don't know where Sagittarius is, but I have a nice photo of it I use as a screensaver - because like you I am one.

On 4/13/2021 at 7:55 PM, 853fisher said:

On J!, I rarely notice straight-up spelling errors, more like lazy homophones and similar.  I wonder whether they have someone review the results of automatic voice-to-text transcription, but that person does not have access to the show tape?  It's not enough, whatever they're doing.

My understanding was - for tv shows (not live) - that closed captioning mostly comes from the scripts. I do find some captioning amusing. Our council meetings are voice to text, and they are terrible (and hilarious).

20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

(Never connected "lavendar" and the root of "to wash" (lavar in Spanish) before. Ya' learn something new every day.)

Me neither. I liked learning that.

I got Hamlet mostly because I have a vague memory of my Shakespeare teacher saying that if the full play was staged it would be something like 8 hours in length. Had no idea how many times it was filmed.

• Love 2

On ‎04‎/‎14‎/‎2021 at 10:47 AM, Mindthinkr said:

It was a meh game for me last night. Add me to the players who guessed Sagittarius ️ 

My trick to identifying stars & constellations on any given clear night is to find Orion.  That's how I found the Pleaides. It's one of exactly 3 constellations I can find on a regular basis; the others are the Big Dipper and the Little Dipper.  So Orion was an instaget for me.  And now I'll be looking for that nebula.

On ‎04‎/‎14‎/‎2021 at 10:56 AM, Katy M said:

Maybe he was anticipating missing the question.  

Astronomy might normally be a bad category for him.  It's hit or miss for me.

20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The Mel Gibson version of Hamlet came out a few years before I graduated high school, and my senior year English teacher had us watch it in class. Never mind that senior English was supposed to be American Lit (we did Shakespeare the year before). Mel was still hot then.

Yep, as I like to say, that was when Mel was young and beautiful, and we didn't know he was a racist anti-Semitic asshole.

I got FJ mainly because I know of 3 film versions of it (Olivier, Gibson/Zeffirelli & Branagh) and only two film versions of any other Shakespeare play I could think of.

20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got pekoe, lavender, and Robert Burns.

I was a bit sad, because you know Alex would've really leaned into a Scottish accent for Burns.

17 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I got Hamlet mostly because I have a vague memory of my Shakespeare teacher saying that if the full play was staged it would be something like 8 hours in length. Had no idea how many times it was filmed.

Kenneth Branagh's version is the full play - I think it was four hours & two minutes long.  Somehow, though, I didn't think it was too long.  Hey, it ends with Rufus Sewell sweeping in as Fortinbras, so it was all good.

3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Astral twins!

Ugh, I read & heard that term waaaaay too many times in The Luminaries.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Kenneth Branagh's version is the full play - I think it was four hours & two minutes long.  Somehow, though, I didn't think it was too long.  Hey, it ends with Rufus Sewell sweeping in as Fortinbras, so it was all good.

Ah,  the years must have doubled the length in mymemory.  That would be way too long for me - for anything.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was a bit sad, because you know Alex would've really leaned into a Scottish accent for Burns.

I think this is the second time we've had a Robbie Burns clue since Alex has been gone. I suspect it will always make me a little sad.

• Love 2

Aaron's "All right, Ashley" gave me good laugh. Perfect delivery.

Round 1: Got all the Lights, Friday Nights, and I Feel All Rights in Round 1. TS = Footcandle, Eisenhower

Round 2: I ran nothing and got no stumpers except the missed DD of Opal (which is my birthstone).

Final: Nope.

• Love 3

Jeopardy is pre-empted here tonight, which means I missed: 

22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Looking at the J! Archive, I would have run the "Head for the Light" category if all things were equal, which, of course, they wouldn't be, because IRL there's a lot of distractions. But I did know all the answers without even having to look at them.
And now I wonder If I were to have walked away and come back fresh in a couple of minutes, if I could have also run another category. --Something to try the next time it's preempted.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I'm going to be watching something else tonight, so just checked the archive.

The Copenhagen TS really surprised me.

I only ran I Feel Alright in the first round, missing one each in every other category (although if I'd been able to see the picture, I'm sure I'd have recognized a pomeranian, thanks to Scully's poor dog on The X-Files).

In DJ, I was terrible with the burned books, missing three.  I also missed two gems and one movie/tv actor, but I ran historic weapons (not something I'd have predicted), capitals (much more my type of category), and money slang.

I knew FJ not quite immediately, but very quickly.

• Love 1

I got FJ.  I wasn't expecting to after seeing the category.

I got the missed clues of Eisenhower, Copenhagen and opal.

I got the entire categories of airport and money right.  

Pretty good night. But I only got one clue each in Friday and actors.  Weird categories to almost completely tank.

Yay, me!  I actually remembered something from Physics class lo, these many years ago.  Although my response was, "Is it force?  I think it's force...  Let's go with force."

I also got foot candle, Eisenhower, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and opal.  I wonder if Lindsey actually looked at the photo -- that was a brilliant opal.  I was a little surprised no one got Eisenhower or Millay.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I also got foot candle, Eisenhower, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and opal.  I wonder if Lindsey actually looked at the photo -- that was a brilliant opal.

I had no clue from the picture.  I just knew that opals are black and are big in South Africa.

Catching up... yesterday's show made me sit up straight when the (new) champ missed "lavender". I thought it was a gimme. As was Hamlet in my home. I love it when we agree on the answer - these days, we can use all the agreement(s) we can find, if you know what I mean.

I'm a bit miffed that we only have one day left with Mr. Dimples. Rodgers. I've enjoyed him more than you'll ever know. I'm so not dead yet. LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I had no clue from the picture.  I just knew that opals are black and are big in South Africa.

I always associate opals with Coober Pedy, Australia. I don't think I even knew they're found in South Africa. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Jeopardy is pre-empted here tonight, which means I missed: 

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Lindsay's story was that people often call her by the wrong name; they say she "looks like an Ashley." She said "I think I look like a Lindsay" and Aaron said, in his deadpan sorta way, "All right, Ashley."

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I have a few pieces of opal jewelry (earrings, a ring, and a necklace) and they are all mostly white with colored veins running through (mostly greenish and reddish).

1 hour ago, Bliss said:

I'm a bit miffed that we only have one day left with Mr. Dimples. Rodgers. I've enjoyed him more than you'll ever know. I'm so not dead yet. LOL

I really like him. I'll miss him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

I'll have you know, @Bliss, that today when Aaron turned to the camera and smiled as he announced they were going to break, I thought of you. I think that "special look" was meant for you.

I'm serious!

Side note: Mr. Rodgers and his intended are currently at Disneyland. (Or World. One of the Disneys.)

• LOL 3

I like the current champion.  Lindsay could have been more strategic in the end.  After revealing the first DD in Gems, she should have known the other DD wouldn't be in the same category and considered moving to Capitals for a 1 in 3 chance at finding it.  Instead, she kept going in Gems and lost control of the board.  She was lucky Patrick missed Caracas so she could take it back.  Then, if she had risked most of her $5800, she would've had a chance to win by doubling her score in FJ.  By making such a relatively small wager on the second DD, she deprived herself of an outside chance to win.  I'm sure it's tough to consider all these options under the lights, or maybe she just wan't interested in going big.  I always admire the contestants who do, but I understand why that wouldn't appeal to everyone.

The "Burned Books" category was great.  I'm going to have to watch the I Love Lucy episode where she writes a novel later.  It's one of my favorites.  Ricky and the Mertzes are upset that the characters are obviously them, so while Lucy is out shopping they find the hidden manuscript and burn it.  "We put your novel in the fireplace and changed its name to 'Forever Ember,'" says Ethel, playing on the Kathleen Winsor romance.  Hilarious.  Put me down for a seat at the table of people tired of "wardrobe malfunction" as a passing reference or punch line at Janet Jackson's expense.  And I'm taking notes on Galena, saber!  I think Aaron and Shailene must be at World, because the parks at Land won't reopen until the end of this month.  He has really hit his stride hosting and I'll be sorry to see him go.  He's still not really my type, but no doubt he'd say the same about me, and I guess there's more of him left for you all to share since I'm not interested. 😉

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Katy M said:
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I wonder if Lindsey actually looked at the photo -- that was a brilliant opal.

I knew opal without a picture, because of the part of the clue that read: “the actual colors can vary.” Opal was Mom’s birth stone, and Dad’s sideline was making jewelry. 
But I didn’t know the $2K “sardonyx.”

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I'll have you know, @Bliss, that today when Aaron turned to the camera and smiled as he announced they were going to break, I thought of you. I think that "special look" was meant for you.

I'm serious!

Hrmph. Just because the show was preempted here?

😉😝

3 hours ago, Bliss said:

😉

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm serious!

Side note: Mr. Rodgers and his intended are currently at Disneyland. (Or World. One of the Disneys.)

I'm so conflicted, @saber5055, because I really like his fiance (bit of a girl crush)... so when he gives me those 'looks', well... what's a gal to do? I guess as long as I keep him a well-guarded secret in my fantasy world, no harm done. But, oh... the shower scenes! Ooh La La!!!

• LOL 4

I like the champ but I was rooting for Dakota because he is the Aaron Rodgers of Hand Modeling and he has great hair.

Round 1: Ran History on Ice (which included the TS of Clarence Birdseye and missed DD of Northwest Passage), missed one each in every other category except countries.

Round 2: Ran Chapters in Nonfiction; got TS of Carpathians, Tuesdays with Morrie, Born Free, and in vivo; and both DDs.

Final: I, too, said Brigham Young (because Utah, of course; he died in 1877 so it's not outside the realm of possibility), but then after it was revealed to be wrong I went with Stanford. Not that it would count but then the rules aren't that strict in my living room.

I will miss Aaron. "So long."

I like Anderson Cooper so I am looking forward to the next two weeks.

• Love 6

I said Brigham Young, but as soon as he said it was wrong I figured it was Stanford.  Oh, well.

I got the missed clues of Northwest Passage, Clarence Birdseye, grouse, Carpathian, Bothnia, nelson and tuesdays with Morrie.

I got the complete categories of Bs, Ice and birds right.

I should have gotten Born Free, but they said Elsa and my mind went to Frozen.  

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I should have gotten Born Free, but they said Elsa and my mind went to Frozen.  

Me, too 😄, but I got there in time. 

1 minute ago, M. Darcy said:

I’m surprised all three missed FJ- I got it right away. I guess it was just one of those random facts I know. 

I did think Brigham Young seemed too obvious, so I was not confident, but I'm guessing they all had the same thought process (Utah, university) that I did.

• Love 1

Little dust cloud came through the living room when Aaron said “so long” and my face got watery.

I have nothing against Anderson Cooper, but I’m not going to be as strict with watching as I have been the last two weeks.  I love Jeopardy! but I also love the Yankees and they interfere with each other most nights.  And for some reason I am just not enamored with watching Jeopardy! on the DVR.

I said Brigham Young too, even though I thought it was too obvious for FJ.

• Love 2