Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

For “ENDS IN 'B’" for $1,000, if I had said "What is a comb?" instead of "What is a coxcomb?" would that have been correct? 
I always think of "comb" as the thing on the rooster's head, whereas I think of a "coxcomb" as a self-important character in a Jane Austen novel.

For Monday’s FJ I blurted out: "The End of the World. No. Wait. That doesn't sound quite right."
I might have self-corrected in time to  The War of the Worlds if I hadn't gotten so distracted trying to sort which Well(e)s wrote it and which Well(e)s read it over the radio.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, blueray said:

I didn't really have an opinion on Katie before watching. But afterwards, I'm not so sure about her as a host. I get that it was her first show, but she laughed a few times at the middle guys answers (forgot his name) and he got them right but she laughed at him.

I took it as laughing with pleasure that he got it, that she was pulling for him. Mileage varies.

I had no real clue about FJ, but insect brought me to the Butterfly Effect, and a terrible movie (imo) with Ashton Kutcher. So two for two this week, I'm due for crickets for the remaining FJs.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

If I had said "What is a comb?" instead of "What is a coxcomb?" would that have been correct? 

I think so. Katie seems slightly surprised when he said coxcomb; I felt like maybe the expected response was just comb and it threw her off a little. (FWIW, I said comb and it was accepted in my house. Which is just me but that's beside the point.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I also said comb.  I might have said coxcomb but that's not how I would have spelled it. Perhaps Katie laughed because she thought it was a dirty word.

I also said cockroach for FJ. But when I heard Butterfly I said D'oh! of course!

Three ts's for me: Book of Kells, Poland, and environmentalist.

• Love 3

I'll admit, my favorite part of yesterday's show was the story about having too many board games on the shelf and still Kickstartering more...I, umm, may relate to that a bit.

• LOL 5

I heard the new champ (I think it was him) pronounce Dionysus with an e at the end instead of u, and I thought he should have been penalized. It’s no different than changing Achilles or Diomedes to Achillus or Diomedus. All are wrong.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SyracuseMug said:

I heard the new champ (I think it was him) pronounce Dionysus with an e at the end instead of u, and I thought he should have been penalized. It’s no different than changing Achilles or Diomedes to Achillus or Diomedus. All are wrong.

When I heard his pronunciation of Dionysus, and it was accepted, I thought maybe it was one of those words that I’ve been mispronouncing all my life, but at my age, that’s becoming less and less likely. 

5 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

I thought he said it weird too but then just thought maybe I am the one that been pronouncing it wrong all these years.  

Speaking of achilles though since you brought it up, have you seen the famous wheel blooper of that one :

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=wheel+of+fortune+achilles+

And of course it has to be college week and him representing my alma mater

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I finally was able to watch Tuesday's show, and I never would have thought Katie's top was purple.  I thought silver-grey.  

In addition to FJ, I got the TS of King Lear, gopher snake, Book of Kells, environmentalist, and Volga.  Volga was a guess.

• Love 2

Started out pretty good tonight; at the first commercial break I had missed only 1 clue. First round score 82%. Got all the Leaders and Brit Speak, missed one each in Coins, Oscar & Emmy, and Children's Lit (I could picture the cover of Wonder but couldn’t come up with the title). And I got the DD. Best J round I've had in a while. Annoyed they didn't finish the Children's Lit category.

Only 67% in DJ, but I did get all the "-matic" and Song Title Adjectives (despite literally never having heard of the song or the singer of "Lucid Dreams"), and all but one in Medicine (First to Third and Rivers sank me; only one and two correct, respectively). But I got both DDs in the second round.

Not a Bond fan, so no FJ for me. Overall 73% correct for the game. Better than the last two days, at least.

TS I got: shadow, Gwyneth Paltrow, lucid, psychosomatic, and liver.

• Love 1

NOt  a James Bond fan.  I said Octopussy because besides Dr. No, that was all I could think of.

I got the ts of shadow, Gwyneth Paltrow, nickel and psychosomatic.

I got the entire category of leaders right. so-so night.  I really needed FJ.  I read a lot, but wasn't confident with thrillers.

• Love 1

I got the TSs of nickel and psychosomatic.
It's easier for me to get TSs, DDs, and FJs because there's more time, but I still have to have knowledge of the category. 
I actually have equipment that would allow me to record in on a VCR tape and play it back at a slower speed, LOL, but that is not something I'm going to do.

• Love 2

I should have gotten FJ, but I didn't.  I haven't ever read any James Bond, but I've seen most of the older movies -- I was running through titles, and just didn't get to The Spy Who Loved Me in time.  Oh well.

I did get the TS of shadow, nickel, liver, and psychosomatic.

I did not know that Gwyneth Paltrow was in Glee, or I would have gotten that one.

• Love 1

I'm not a James Bond fan either, but somehow I recalled being told that The Spy Who Loved Me was narrated by the "Me" of the title. Does anyone else think "Literary Thrillers" was a bit misleading as a category name? When I hear a book described as a thriller, I think of either horror or mystery/suspense. 

I got Gwyneth Paltrow because I knew she had won for Shakespeare in Love (a movie that always turns up on those "Undeserved Oscars" lists). I never watched Glee. I also knew psychosomatic and made a guess on "Lucid Dream." I don't know the song, but there are a lot of sleep-inducing videos that promise lucid dreams, so I figured that was the answer.

I'm not crazy about the new champ; she seems like one of those "I'll take [full name of category] for X dollars, please" time eaters, but maybe she'll pick up the pace tomorrow.

• Love 2

I found it odd the first round DD ("this 1913 coin with a Native American design") was just nickel rather than buffalo nickel.

I was a bit surprised by the Gwyneth Paltrow TS (I had no idea she'd won an Emmy, but Shakespeare in Love was all I needed, since her Oscar win is kind of notorious - and was in the news again semi-recently due to Glenn Close commenting on it in an interview - so I'm surprised no one even guessed her).  Psychosomatic going unanswered also surprised me.

Lori's reaction to winning was great.

I got all the leaders, coins, Briticisms, and nicknames, and all but one Oscar & Emmy winner in the first round, but only two children's lit characters.

In DJ, I actually knew one mythology clue (Cassandra - thank you, Scream 2 🙂) and figured out two more; impressive, given my ignorance of most things religion/mythology.  I ran the rivers, medicine, -atic, and first-third categories, and got all but one song (the one that stumped them stumped me too, but at least one of us really ought to have correctly guessed even without knowing the song).

I have zero interest in James Bond books/films, but I've picked up a lot of the titles via cultural osmosis.  I don't think I'd have figured out FJ under game conditions, but here at home I did just in time.  And now I'm off to listen to Carly Simon sing the theme song.  In fact, I think her boxed set will be the soundtrack to the rest of my night; I love her voice.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Another FJ I knew right away, although I've never read the books or seen the movies: I absolutely love the theme songs (in this case, "Nobody Does it Better").  Medical conditions caused by your emotional state got me thinking right away of Vivian Blaine as Miss Adelaide with her "psychosomatic symptoms difficult to endure," so I know what I'll be listening to later.

33 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I wanted to hug the new champ when she won and seemed to be fighting back tears. 

Me too.  I hope to see her even more confident tomorrow now that she knows she can do it.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did not know that Gwyneth Paltrow was in Glee, or I would have gotten that one.

She played a substitute teacher, and not for long, so it must have been Best Guest or whatever they call it.  As a show choir and theatre kid in high school, back when the show was only a little bizarre and often quite good, I'm afraid I remained a part of the collective delusion that Ryan Murphy knows what the hell he's doing for far longer than I care to admit.

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm not crazy about the new champ; she seems like one of those "I'll take [full name of category] for X dollars, please" time eaters, but maybe she'll pick up the pace tomorrow.

She was frustratingly slow (I hate when they insist on saying a whole long category title) but I didn't really like the champ. I would also have been fine with the other guy whose kids dance to the Jeopardy theme.

20 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

She played a substitute teacher, and not for long, so it must have been Best Guest or whatever they call it.  As a show choir and theatre kid in high Schoo, back when the show was only a little bizarre and often quite good, I'm afraid I remained a part of the collective delusion that Ryan Murphy knows what the hell he's doing for far longer than I care to admit.

"Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series" in 2011. I stuck with Glee to the end just to see how bad it would get.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Maybe (probably) I'm over thinking this, but I thought generally tonight's game, including FJ, was relatively easy.  I didn't get every one right, but more than I usually do.  I wonder if the producers tried to make it easier for contestants to win larger sums of money, so they'll be giving a nice chunk of change to the designated charity.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I finally was able to watch Tuesday's show, and I never would have thought Katie's top was purple.  I thought silver-grey.  

In addition to FJ, I got the TS of King Lear, gopher snake, Book of Kells, environmentalist, and Volga.  Volga was a guess.

I thought it was silver/grey, as well.

"Gopher snake" - Hahahaha.  I'm not sure I got the following clue, because I was laughing at the closed captioning, which spelled it "Gofer snake."  Bwaaahahahaha. I started envisioning a snake being sent out for coffee & picking up the dry cleaning.

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Gopher snake" - Hahahaha.  I'm not sure I got the following clue, because I was laughing at the closed captioning, which spelled it "Gofer snake."  Bwaaahahahaha. I started envisioning a snake being sent out for coffee & picking up the dry cleaning.

The spelling distracted me too, but my imagination didn’t have as much fun with it. 😉

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Maybe (probably) I'm over thinking this, but I thought generally tonight's game, including FJ, was relatively easy.  I didn't get every one right, but more than I usually do.  I wonder if the producers tried to make it easier for contestants to win larger sums of money, so they'll be giving a nice chunk of change to the designated charity.

Maybe you're brighter than I am 😉 because I thought it was a pretty standard game.   They're giving away $3K in consolation plus the winner's score nightly.  Will the difference between giving away $15K and $25K, say, get them more viewers?  While it might or might not put them afoul of Standards & Practices, they probably wouldn't want to change the general difficulty in the middle of a Tournament of Champions qualification cycle either.  All that said, I am certainly rooting for successful high wagers, even more than usual.  Now would be a great time for someone who wagers like Holzhauer to come through.

5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The spelling distracted me too, but my imagination didn’t have as much fun with it. 😉

I noticed that too.  Perhaps that's how a high powered lizard answers their cell.  "Go fer snake!"

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

NOt  a James Bond fan.  I said Octopussy because besides Dr. No, that was all I could think of.

I was stuck in Connery era Bond movies (the only ones I've watched - reluctantly). When Mr. Starling gave his answer, I knew it was right.

10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

She played a substitute teacher, and not for long, so it must have been Best Guest or whatever they call it.  As a show choir and theatre kid in high school, back when the show was only a little bizarre and often quite good, I'm afraid I remained a part of the collective delusion that Ryan Murphy knows what the hell he's doing for far longer than I care to admit.

Yes, I had that delusion for awhile too.

I haven't posted here in a long while, even though I've been watching every night these last few months, but one of the new contestants tonight is a friend of mine so I'm especially excited to see her! :) 

• Love 11

Just an average game for me with only two ts's: Indian head nickel and psychosomatic but FJ was an instaget.  I read all the James Bond books many years ago but I've seen only a few of the earlier movies.

I didn't care too much for the returning champ so I am glad Lori won.

Was dime a ts? I don't remember anyone getting the answer.  I got that one because I put my thumb and finger .74 in. apart and it was the size of a dime.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, UYI said:

I haven't posted here in a long while, even though I've been watching every night these last few months, but one of the new contestants tonight is a friend of mine so I'm especially excited to see her! 🙂

Tell us who so we can also root for her.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Trey said:

Was dime a ts? I don't remember anyone getting the answer.  I got that one because I put my thumb and finger .74 in. apart and it was the size of a dime.

Yes, it was a TS.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I stuck with Glee to the end just to see how bad it would get

Ha...I've been rewatching Community on Prime and saw the episode just last night where Jeff and Pierce discuss Glee (which IIRC was on opposite Community) 

Pierce Hawthorne:
I'm not crazy about Glee either.

Jeff Winger:
I hate it. I don't understand the appeal at all.

Got all the Britspeak, and FJ surprisingly as well.

Katie is a skosh annoying but overall I can tolerate her. She's probably not capable of dialing down the perky. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Not a Bond fan, so no FJ for me.

I am a Bond fan, to a certain extent, and I got it right away because The Spy Who Loved Me is one of only two Roger Moore Bond outings I like.  The other is For Your Eyes Only.

6 hours ago, Trey said:

Just an average game for me with only two ts's: Indian head nickel and psychosomatic

I got psychosomatic but said buffalo nickel - would that have counted?

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

And now I'm off to listen to Carly Simon sing the theme song.  In fact, I think her boxed set will be the soundtrack to the rest of my night; I love her voice.

"Nobody does it better.  Makes me feel sad for the rest.  Nobody does it half as good as you.  Baby, you're the best."

• Love 2
18 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I got psychosomatic but said buffalo nickel - would that have counted?

This is the clue so I don't think it would have counted:

Old West artist James Earle Fraser designed this 1913 coin with a Native American design

eta: same nickel but I think they were going for Indian head.  bwdik.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

I think Katie is doing a good job so far hosting. I hope it does only last 1 week but I can live with 2 if I am forced to. She is reading clues well and it is refreshing seeing a woman up there. I still miss Alex though!

If Mike Richards lets her throw in just 1 political jab, I am out forever! I mean that too. She will ruin this show and I think they all know that and will keep this right on the game and nothing else.

• Love 3

Why would that not have counted?  That's what they're called -- buffalo nickels or Indian head nickels (because one side had the head of a Native American and the other an American bison).  From the Buffalo Nickel page on Wikipedia:

The Buffalo nickel or Indian Head nickel is a copper-nickel five-cent piece that was struck by the United States Mint from 1913 to 1938. It was designed by sculptor James Earle Fraser.

From its inception, the coin was referred to as the "Buffalo nickel", reflecting the American colloquialism for the North American bison. As the piece is 75% copper and 25% nickel, prominent numismatist Stuart Mosher objected to the nomenclature in the 1940s, writing that he was "uncertain why it is called a 'Buffalo nickel' although the name is preferable to 'Bison copper'". The numismatic publication with the greatest circulation, Coin World, calls it an Indian head nickel, while R.S. Yeoman's Red Book refers to it as an "Indian Head or Buffalo type".

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Overwrought?  Good job pulling that out of your brain, Dave.  I wouldn't have.

How Green Was My Valley was Alex's favorite movie?

I got FJ.  I always seem to get opera clues even though I know absolutely nothing about opera.  I don't think the writers go very deep when it comes to opera trivia.

• Love 2

No joy for me on FJ.  I ran through well-known characters and papers, knowing they don't generally go too deep with this kind of clue, and couldn't make a match.  I thought of Figaro too, but couldn't think of a paper by that name.

I wish Katie would cut the "good thing you got that one!"  I think it's her way of showing she is tuned-in and remembers the contestant's particulars, but it's just filler to me.  She can keep saying it only if she also says "Jim, why didn't you get X?" if they miss a clue about their occupation or home state or whatever.  But seriously, I think she's doing very well overall.  I have no doubt that she knows the difference between appearing on Bill Maher's political talk show and hosting a quiz show, and will continue to tailor the subjects she speaks on appropriately for time and place.  I will attempt to do the same by saying no more.

I was afraid we weren't going to get all the clues for b&w movies, which I love.  Cowards! 😉 Then I was surprised to see "who played Norma Desmond," with a photo no less, in the $2K box!  I would have imagined that as an easier clue.

4 minutes ago, Roaster said:

How Green Was My Valley was Alex's favorite movie?

I think I read it was because of the father-son relationship.  I wonder what he thought of the clue last year that mistook the title for a question rather than an exclamation.  That writer clearly hadn't seen it!

• Love 3

Got all of Neck & Necking and Not Your Everyday Words; four each in US Landmarks, Up in the Air, and Flags; and zero NBA logos.
Got all the DDs and TS of stratosphere and underpass.

Overall though…I didn't do so great (less than half in DJ!). 57%

Is it just me or did get a long time to come up with overwrought?

8 hours ago, UYI said:

Her name is Emily. 🙂

I was rooting for her but Dave was my second choice so I'm good with the outcome.

3 minutes ago, ErinV said:

She said “overwrite” instead of “overbite”!  No correction?!  Did I mishear?

I thought the B just wasn't very well articulated. I guess they heard the same.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Is it just me or did get a long time to come up with overwrought?

It sure seemed like they gave him an awfully long time for that.  I came up with it immediately -- because I remembered the category.

I got the TS of stratosphere, bulb, and underpass, but I did not get FJ.  I had absolutely no idea.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I was rooting for her but Dave was my second choice so I'm good with the outcome.

I will say that I was very happy when she got the Indianapolis clue right--she's originally from Indiana. :) 

• Love 5

I kept yelling "overwrought" at the TV. It took him an awfully long time to finally hear me.

I got "Figaro" early on, and then I spent the rest of time wondering where it was located. I knew it wasn't Italy, even though you'd logically think that. I was thinking "Germany/" and then ":Le Figaro" jumped into my head, I though "France" and then wondered how Alex would have pronounced it.  Yeah, I got a mind like lightning. Bwaahahahaha.

• Love 3

I was rooting for Emily not just because she's @UYI's friend and UYI is good peeps, but because her last name - even though pronounced with a long O rather than like a pig - made me think of Charlene's "My mother was a Hogg" story at the disastrous dinner with Bill's family on Designing Women.

Good game, even though Dave ran away with it in the second half.  But several TS surprised me to some degree tonight, with the biggest one being underpass.  Others I didn't expect to go unanswered: stratosphere, 10 days, bulb, and Maui (I'd have figured at least one of the three had heard of a Maui onion, and seeing Hawaii in the clue would make them think of it; no one getting it just based on good for onion rings and coming into season in spring, that I wouldn't think twice about).

The overwrought DD did seem to go on longer than normal.  I thought perhaps it just seemed to because I'd already answered it before Katie stopped reading, but I see others have commented as well, so it's not just me who perceived it that way.

I ran the first round.  In DJ, I ran over/under, veto, and films, and only missed one each in the other categories (yes, including religious observances!), so I had a great game.

I know very little about opera, but a fair bit about journalism, so I approached FJ by thinking of longstanding European (because I figured that's the part of the world J! would go to without specifying anything beyond "foreign") newspapers and as I rattled them off in my head checked to see if any sounded like something related to opera.  I ran out of ones I like, switched to ones I don't, and, boom - Le Figaro.  Knowing there's a "Figaro, Figaro, Figaro" opera song, I figured that had to be right.  Kind of a Bugs Bunny way of getting there, but get there I did.  Good for me.

• Love 7