Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If I recall correctly, another real world event crapped all over my enjoyment of Jeopardy not that long ago.   I watch Jeopardy as an escape from the real world, not get slapped in the face by it.

Huh? Are you talking about Alex’s death?

I liked the new champ's "please let me win" because his kid will be going to college soon. And he did!

You don't see the name Chauncey much these days. Especially a young guy. (Apparently it was the 4,459th most popular boy name in 2020. Who'da thunk?)

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I liked the new champ's "please let me win" because his kid will be going to college soon. And he did!

Kids - triplets who are 18.

Yes. Best winner ever. 
Maybe I will listen to a few versions of Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" to see if I can find one where he inserts "Back" on a verse or 2 (so Jim can have $3200 more for college for his triplets).

• Love 1

I am willing to give MR a pass for his "be kinder" speech and any attempt to honor Alex because as much as we grieve Alex, I cannot imagine how much the entire staff of Jeopardy are handling this.. You take someone with a large presence both on stage and off and their vibe, their speech, their mere being is apart of your work life for years or even just months. Then, one day without warning, they are gone and you notice the whole vibe of your workplace changes. I can totally see how that could be unsettling. So I'm assuming their small tributes to Alex are for this season and during the hiatus, they'll be able to figure out how to move forward. For now, they are probably just trying to survive without falling apart.

• Love 13

That was incredibly biased wording in the Armenia clue, which is particularly problematic given last year's Azerbaijani attacks.

Spring training was a doozy of a TS.  And I cannot believe no one guessed 13; I've never heard of the book, but ask me for an unlucky cabin, especially in a $200 clue, and I'm going to go ahead and throw 13 out there.  Alaska was also surprising.  English Setter was a bit surprising, too, since the clue spotted E and that it's similar to a breed with Irish in the name.

Like 13, I correctly guessed the next three in Detective Fiction, but not the last one.  I also missed one dog breed (cairn terrier stumped me as it did them).  I ran spring, sense organs, and homophones, but I was terrible in TV kings, only correctly guessing one (King of the Hill).

In DJ, I stunned myself by correctly guessing three Bible clues.  I ran Latin and history, but missed one each in the other categories.

I initially said bombs for FJ, but that didn't sit right, and then I thought of helicopters because, like Mike said, Sioux brought to mind Apache and Blackhawk.

• Love 3
(edited)
37 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Loved the “Alphabet Dogs” category; I knew them all right off except for boxer.  I hope @saber5055 got them all!

Thanks for thinking of me. I was going to skip in here under the cover of darkness to say, once again the animal category was the last chosen, but happily all the clues were revealed. I easily got Akita and Boxer, then the C dog was obviously a Cairn, a second clue was given as a pile of rocks in Scotland is a cairn. (And oddly, a child in Scotland is a bairn. Not sure if there is a connection, heh.) But anyway ... for the E dog I said English Setter as soon as the picture was shown, so didn't even hear the clue. And once again, the Jeopardy writers chose a pet-level dog for that photo, a common complaint I have about this show and the poor dog photos it uses. An English Setter in show coat is spectacular.

ETA: I forgot to say, when D for Doberman was revealed, I had to laugh since I was working on a magazine for a Doberman club while watching the show.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9

Anyone else unable to say "Akita" without following it with "Evita, just won't shut up!" (And not just because I was reading about the 25 Years of RENT special in the NYT Morning email newsletter this morning. I saw RENT with the original cast in 1996 and ever since then my brain goes there every time I see the word Akita.)

I knew what a Cairn Terrier looks like (and that Toto was one), and I knew a cairn is a rock pile, but I never associated the rock pile with the dog breed until now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I knew what a Cairn Terrier looks like (and that Toto was one), and I knew a cairn is a rock pile, but I never associated the rock pile with the dog breed until now.

Lots of rats and other rodents in those rock pile cairns, and the Cairn Terrier (and other terriers from the British Isles) specialize in dispatching them. "And now you know!" tm

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

Lots of rats and other rodents in those rock pile cairns, and the Cairn Terrier (and other terriers from the British Isles) specialize in dispatching them. "And now you know!" tm

shooting star GIF

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

My brain couldn't move past "alfalfa" for an A-dog somehow.  Woof indeed.

I laughed at the "Crown" DD, because I remember one or two folks saying, "wow, they sure love to feature that show in clues"!  They weren't wrong.

For "hail Mary" in Latin, I thought of "salve regina" before "ave Maria" and couldn't move past that either.  Mother 853 has been devoted to Mary for years, is Past Prefect of her parish's Society of the Blessed Mother (and never misses an opportunity to let any church ladies know what a big shot she is, he wrote affectionately), and brought back the May Procession.  It was of course her privilege to have a child do a reading, and as the hammiest one, I always did.  I don't know how I'll explain this to her.  I worship with the Protestants now but still find the Rosary very centering.  I'd better say it twice tonight if I want Mary to take my calls anymore!

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Finally! I got an FJ this week.  I was seriously headed for the Table for Zero.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I also got the TS of spring training, Cabin 13, Downton Abbey, Cairn Terrier, English Setter, Alaska, and postbellum.  @Katy M, maybe your "port something" was postbellum?

I'm glad they walked back the "back on the road again", since that is not the name or the lyric of the song.

I'm moving up a table with two this week - helicopter was an completely uninformed guess "I dunno, helicopter?"  Come to think of it, I think the other one I got this week was also a completely uninformed guess. I should do more of those!

I mixed up "The Girl in Cabin 13" with "The Woman in Cabin 10"

I like the new champ. He amused me.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I was surprised that the contestant did not get the most obnoxious and overplayed song Willie Nelson ever made "On the Road Again". 

He did get the song but said Back on the Road Again for which he was given credit; then the decision was reversed when they checked the lyrics and Back isn't there.

Some years ago we took our sons, 6 & 8, to see my fave, Rick Nelson, perform.  6 yr old wasn't impressed, drifted off to sleep and woke up all cranky, demanding to know when he was going to sing On the Road Again.

I got lots of answers throughout the game including the ts's of The Crown, Cairn, English Setter, and post bellum, so it was a good game for me. Except for not getting FJ.

Everything I could think of had already been given names since long before the Korean war.  Still, Sioux should have led me to Blackhawk which I know was a helicopter but it did not. Unless I get tonight's FJ I'll be at the table for 0.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Trey said:

He did get the song but said Back on the Road Again for which he was given credit; then the decision was reversed when they checked the lyrics and Back isn't there.

Some years ago we took our sons, 6 & 8, to see my fave, Rick Nelson, perform.  6 yr old wasn't impressed, drifted off to sleep and woke up all cranky, demanding to know when he was going to sing On the Road Again.

I got lots of answers throughout the game including the ts's of The Crown, Cairn, English Setter, and post bellum, so it was a good game for me. Except for not getting FJ.

Everything I could think of had already been given names since long before the Korean war.  Still, Sioux should have led me to Blackhawk which I know was a helicopter but it did not. Unless I get tonight's FJ I'll be at the table for 0.

Many, many moons ago, I was visiting Las Vegas, staying at the Mirage. I was sitting at a blackjack table, and Ricky Nelson's twin sons sat down with me to play. They were playing quite large amounts, compared to my $2 wager (ok, ok, I may have bumped it up to $5 once or twice) and we had a total blast. They called me their lucky charm and continually wanted me to cut the cards. It's one of those memories that I enjoy every time I relive it.

• Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I'd never heard of a Sioux helicopter so I matched the Champ with my answer of missile. To get technical, helicopters named Sioux, Apache, Chinook and Lakota were named after Native American tribes. The only name I recognize as a helicopter is Black Hawk, which was named after the chief of the Sauk tribe. What's up with that one being named after an individual and not "Sauk." Maybe that's just me since I grew up on the land stolen from the Sauk tribe. The story we kids told each other when touring the Black Hawk museum was that he was boiled to death in the gigantic iron pot on display there. He did not, he died of "natural causes" across the river in Iowa, but that story has stuck with me all these years, it was a good one.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

LOL! Some years ago when I was showing horses, I got to see Willie Nelson free before the horse show at the Waterloo (Iowa) Cattle Congress. I've seen Willie's concerts on tv since and he hasn't changed any of it over the decades.

Ricky never played at any state fairs where I was showing horses, so never got to hear Garden Party live. More's the pity!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The only name I recognize as a helicopter is Black Hawk, which was named after the chief of the Sauk tribe. What's up with that one being named after an individual and not "Sauk."

Years ago that was a Jeopardy question, possibly even a Final Jeopardy - the only NHL team named for an actual person.

I was thinking of you during the dog category - I'm sure you got them all.  For some reason I missed boxer - I think it was the wording of the clue.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I credit M*A*S*H for getting FJ. My thought process was Korean War - M*A*S*H - helicopters! 

It helped me too! I tried to think of military equipment from that time and all those copters on MASH. 

Once at trivia,I knew the Sea of Japan thanks to Radar’s speech about Henry’s death (I seem to have it memorized). 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

My thought process was Korean War - M*A*S*H - helicopters! 

Mine was Korean War - M*A*S*H - choppers! [in Radar's voice] - helicopters! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Trey said:

Years ago that was a Jeopardy question, possibly even a Final Jeopardy - the only NHL team named for an actual person.

Interestingly, the Black Hawk franchise has not been pressured to change its team name, unlike some other teams, and the ones being roasted for their mascots. Cleveland and the U of Illinois come to mind.

• Love 3

I said Bon Jovi for lack of a better answer.  Livin' on a prayer is optimistic.  Right?

I got the ts of unicorn Baltic, Jonathan Livingston Seagull (I got it right away, but really, after he gave you 2/3 of it still a ts), Our Mutual Friend, and Jesse James.  

I got the entiere categories of text and Army and the partial category of Navy right and the entire category of Ryan Gosling wrong.  I don't know the difference between Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds.  Shh.  Don't tell them. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

... and the entire category of Ryan Gosling wrong.  I don't know the difference between Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds.  Shh.  Don't tell them. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.

LOL I used to mix them up too - and I'm a fellow Canadian! For some reason, I finally got the distinction - partly because R Reynolds is married to Blake Lively and R Gosling is partnered with Eva Mendes.

I was all ready to shout out "What is The Notebook?" and I had to swallow it.

Now if I could only figure out who's who between Katy Perry and Zooey Deschanel...

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Bon Jovi was my first thought for FJ, but I switched to Journey at the last second.  I love 80s music.

I also got the TS of plankton, Jonathan Livingston Seagull (I think I even have a copy of that), Archaeopteryx, and Jesse James.

It always makes me sad when they don't clear the boards.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I couldn't pick either of those guys out of a lineup.  I don't think I have ever seen anything they were in.

If you enjoy "light" comedy, I suggest "The Proposal" with Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock, Betty White and a few other great actors... Mary Steenburgen, Craig Nelson. Part of the movie is set in Alaska and the scenery is beautiful. Fun story!

https://g.co/kgs/MM9uue

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
Just now, Bliss said:

If you enjoy "light" comedy, I suggest "The Proposal" with Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock, Betty White and a few other great actors... Mary Steenburgen, Craig Nelson. Part of the movie is set in Alaska and the scenery is beautiful. Fun story!

It's set in Alaska, but was filmed mostly in Massachusetts.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the ts of [...] Jonathan Livingston Seagull (I got it right away, but really, after he gave you 2/3 of it still a ts)

I knew Jonathan Livingston Seagull immediately too and guessed they were all too young to have read it when it was on the Best Seller list and all everyone was talking about. 

Text Message Abbreviations category was too easy.

ETA: I knew Donna Summer and Miss Saigon. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I said Bon Jovi for lack of a better answer.  Livin' on a prayer is optimistic.  Right?

I got the ts of unicorn Baltic, Jonathan Livingston Seagull (I got it right away, but really, after he gave you 2/3 of it still a ts), Our Mutual Friend, and Jesse James.  

I got the entiere categories of text and Army and the partial category of Navy right and the entire category of Ryan Gosling wrong.  I don't know the difference between Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds.  Shh.  Don't tell them. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.

I mix up amy adams and Rachel McAdams.  And dont get me started on sandra Oh and Maggie Q. But I do know ryan reynolds from Ryan gosling

Also, the movie Drive us the most boring pretentious piece oc crap I've ever seen. The similar movie in plot and name baby driver is the superior film.   

Also didn't know FJ and, more importantly, I was stuck thinking about what other 2 albums are on that list of 600 weeks on the billboard list.  Pretty sure pink floyds dark side of the moon is one.  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also didn't know FJ and, more importantly, I was stuck thinking about what other 2 albums are on that list of 600 weeks on the billboard list.  Pretty sure pink floyds dark side of the moon is one.  

Dark Side of the Moon and The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Me also....Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer",  and all I know about the Ryans is that Ryan Reynolds is married to Blake Lively.

• Love 4

Another old person who remembers Jonathan Livingston Seagull here. I think I still have the book, as well as a pendant and a parody book called Jonathan  Segal Chicken. The latter is about a Jewish chicken who wants to avoid becoming soup, or worse, a Colonel Sanders dinner. I also knew Our Mutual Friend from a 1978 Masterpiece Theatre. “The Morning of the Dragon” is my favorite song from Miss Saigon, and I was surprised that no one guessed Jesse James. Did not get FJ, though.

Laura was very impressive, and I loved her sweater .

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

My next door neighbor has it on on HBO (I think...one of those movie channels) for free. I have HBO and HBO Max, but in my house can only get it by paying Amazon to rent it! That made me mad. Thinking about it; I think I should make a phone call on Monday. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I cannot believe it took three tries to get Donna Summer - and that the first two contestants didn't even guess a Donna (hell, one didn't even guess a person)!

I also can't believe Jonathan Livingston Seagull was a TS when all one of the other two had to do was correct Jim's error (he gave them two of the three words!). 

Jesse James and plankton surprised me a bit, too; not that no one knew either fact, but that no one correctly guessed.

But that was a great performance by Laura; as someone else noted, she didn't offer up a single wrong answer.

On a shallow note, I liked her shirt, as well as Ann's.

I ran the abbreviations, marine biology, and army (thanks to my random guess of a Harry Potter character being the right one) categories, but missed one each in musicals and business and two in Navy bases in the first round.

In DJ, I ran 2019 and globetrotting, but didn't know a single Ryan Gosling film (I should have guessed First Man, but I couldn't get the title from my brain to my mouth.  If the one they didn't get to was Remember the Titans, I'd have known it [one of my favorite sports films, and I think that's the only thing I've seen him in]).  I missed a handful of others, including being as stumped as the contestants by the ancient bird ending in X and Our Mutual Friend.

I didn't get FJ.  In fact, I didn't even have a guess; my brain just sort of sputtered, never managing to spit out a single "optimistic" title from a popular '80s band.  That was disappointing, as I'm normally really good with '80s music; when Journey was revealed as Jim's answer, it was an "Oh, of course - 'Don't Stop Believin'" reaction here, but I hadn't come close to honing in on it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I cannot believe it took three tries to get Donna Summer - and that the first two contestants didn't even guess a Donna (hell, one didn't even guess a person)!

When I first started reading that clue my mind also went straight to Mamma Mia, same as the first contestant. Broadway musical + 3 Donnas = Mamma Mia, but then I finished actually reading what they were asking for and realized they were looking for Donna Summer. Jim’s answer of “Cher” made me laugh though, I have no idea where that one came from!

I didn’t have a clue for FJ. All I could think was “It’s not Queen, stop thinking Queen, they’re not American, think of something else!” And then couldn’t get “We Are the Champions” out of my head. 😆 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Jim’s answer of “Cher” made me laugh though, I have no idea where that one came from!

There is also a Cher musical with three stages of Cher's career: "Babe," "Lady," and "Star." That's my best guess of where Jim's answer came from.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Finally Jeopardy I was like Queen? I knew that couldn't be the answer but it kept popping in my head anyway. They did just have a movie a year or so before that. More then Journey, why would anyone buy their CD now? 

• Love 1

A good game for me.  I got the ts's of unicorn fish (don't know why no one even guessed at that one), Baltic Sea, and Jesse James.  I knew Jonathon Livingstone Seagull but garbled it like the contestant did.

I have just a very general knowledge of 80's bands but, funny thing, just yesterday afternoon I was reading a list of Greatest Rock Anthems and figured Don't Stop Believing by Journey fit the bill.  So, I was saved from being skunked this week.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Trey said:

I have just a very general knowledge of 80's bands but, funny thing, just yesterday afternoon I was reading a list of Greatest Rock Anthems and figured Don't Stop Believing by Journey fit the bill.  So, I was saved from being skunked this week.

A few years ago my friend's husband threw her an 80's themed surprise party for her 40th birthday. I got a Journey t-shirt for it (Hot Topic is a good place for nostalgic band t-shirts) which is still hanging in my closet. So that may have helped me get there.

(I also wore earrings that I have actually had since the 80s.)

• Love 4

I did like the "tribute" to Christopher Plummer with the obviously added voice overs in light of his recent death. Apart from respecting his long film career, I had the joy of seeing him on stage in Barrymore and King Lear - he was magnificent making the audience forget we had ever seen him in anything else.  I will probably see Lear again sometime but as I told Mother Grundoon at the time, I don't really feel like I need to.

• Love 3

Final Jeopardy was an instaget for me. If anyone ever listens to Pandora or even terrestial radio, Journey is quite the staple with 'Believin'" being on heavy rotation. Our local oldies stations cuts out after the the fourth "Don't Stop Believing" which I find insane as that's the part everyone waits for..but I digress...

• Love 2

I was impressed by the seamlessness of the Plummer tribute.  I think it was just a voiceover as the clue was revealed, not any particular wizardry, but I guess I impress easily.

I was not around when "J L Seagull" was published, but someone references it on "Match Game" reruns from time to time, and I like to look up whatever I don't get.  A J! clue here or there is no small payoff!

Is there really no way they can find something to shave down in the editing suite and get back the time needed for one little clue in either round?  We have been missing very few clues lately, but it doesn't make me long after them any less.

• Love 3