Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'd heard that they weren't doing the 5 a day schedule his last few weeks, but I don't know if that's right.

I read an interview with the producer, Mike Richards, which stated that Alex's last week was taped M-W on one day and T-F on the next one. I inferred that only the last week was done that way, but it's possible more were.

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

You nailed my favorite meal/snack. German Fanta (before it was acquired by...Pepsi?Coke?) was the best.

I could be mistaken, but the story I remember is that Fanta was developed by Coke's German affiliate when they couldn't get Coke syrup due to the WWII trade embargo.  Coke HQ gained access to the recipe after the war and tabled it for a few years but reintroduced it around the world in the '50s.  I don't think it has changed hands but I don't doubt that it was reformulated at some point, whoever was making it.  At any rate, I'm now having a vivid memory of being at the movies with my family when on came a preshow ad I've never quite forgotten: "Don't you want-a, want a Fanta?  Fanta, Fanta..."

Edited by 853fisher
cannot spell
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

....  I'm now having a vivid memory of being at the movies with my family when on came a preshow ad I've never quite forgotten: "Don't you want-a, want a Fanta?  Fanta, Fanta..."

To be seen on a future Jeopardy¡ category, "Should Rhyme, but Doesn't."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I read an interview with the producer, Mike Richards, which stated that Alex's last week was taped M-W on one day and T-F on the next one. I inferred that only the last week was done that way, but it's possible more were.

I could be mistaken, but the story I remember is that Fanta was developed by Coke's German affiliate when they couldn't get Coke syrup due to the WWII trade embargo.  Coke HQ gained access to the recipe after the war and tabled it for a few years but reintroduced it around the world in the '50s.  I don't think it has changed hands but I don't doubt that it was reformulated at some point, whoever was making it.  At any rate, I'm now having a vivid memory of being at the movies with my family when on came a preshow ad I've never quite forgotten: "Don't you want-a, want a Fanta?  Fanta, Fanta..."

All I know is that the Fanta I drank in Germany (in the late 60's and early 70's) tasted absolutely nothing like the bright orange stuff in the States. I was so excited to see Fanta (my favorite soda) and sorely disappointed when I drank my first one in the US.

German Fanta tasted more like Orangina (if you know the product). So it seems to me that they didn't use the recipe at all. It could well be the official story - but my taste buds say no.

Though memory can be tricky, when it comes to flavors I've had some proof that my taste memories are fairly accurate. I went back to Germany in the 80's, in a different region, and was disappointed in the wursts, bread rolls, and other favorites. They didn't taste right. But when I got to the region I'd lived in, I was thrilled because they did match my memories.

• Love 6

Gee, who picked this episode? I thought the next 2 weeks were "Best of Alex Trebek" themed. I've seen way too much Jennings over the last month or so and absolutely not looking forward to his hosting in January. I certainly did not want to see his mug tonight on TV. No time like the present, I guess. I just changed the channel.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Gee, who picked this episode? I thought the next 2 weeks were "Best of Alex Trebek" themed. I've seen way too much Jennings over the last month or so and absolutely not looking forward to his hosting in January. I certainly did not want to see his mug tonight on TV. No time like the present, I guess. I just changed the channel.

From the link that M. Darcy posted last week, it looks like it's episodes with categories where Alex did the clues on location somewhere (like the hockey category tonight). 

2 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

It looks so weird now to see the podiums so close together!

I was thinking the same thing!

I don't even know how I did tonight; I wasn't really keeping track. Did not get FJ, though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/19/2020 at 8:07 AM, DXD526 said:

Brayden reminds me of the actor Frederick Koehler. He's popped up in quite a few things I've seen over the years, but I'll always know him best as Chip on Kate & Allie. Every time I see Brayden, I think, that's what Chip would look like grown up!

He reminds me of Michael J. Pollard, who appeared in the Star Trek TOS episode "Miri."

And if Brayden's winning streak continues much longer, he'll likely be the transition champion between Alex and the new (or interim) host. I'm not sure how it would affect me, emotionally, if I were in that position.

• Love 4

I got FJ since I know what an anti-Semantic bastard Lindbergh was 

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Of course we start the reminiscing with Ken Jennings. He looks so young!

I know! We were all so young back then. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed that, almost as much as Alex seemed to enjoy being on the ice.  Maybe "timeless" isn't the right word, but I thought the episode held up well.  I watch mostly reruns in general, but that barely felt like one.  Only the set really seemed dated to me, and of course Alex and Ken looked different than they did this year.  I guess a few clues might have been better remembered in 2004 than today too.  I didn't realize how much I miss the old sound effect when the board is filled in!  Nice to see Cheryl Farrell of the Clue Crew.  I'm sure I've seen her somewhere else since then too.  Anyway, now she is apparently a writer and advocate, focused largely on the Black experience.

Speaking of Ken, that was game 57/75 for him, which I don't recall being mentioned.  I think this is the only episode he will feature in this fortnight.  I was happy to see him once.  I don't know if it's all in the haircut or just general aging, but I think he has grown into his facial features. I didn't really think much about the lecterns pushed together, but Alex struck me as very close to the contestants during his chat!  Him up close with the hockey player also got my attention, and the four of them just before the credits too.  What a strange year it's been.

Lindbergh was a quick educated guess for me.  I blew it on "which president's daughters were Lynda and Luci" because although I knew they weren't Jimmy's, "Lynda Carter" stuck in my mind instantly.  I knew "Belle of Amherst" because Brett was always teasing Charles about his role as director of the play of the same name on "Match Game" and I looked it up one day.  ABG, friends.  Always Be Googling! 😉

And I knew Clara Barton because I was a docent at her home and the former Red Cross headquarters in Glen Echo, MD outside Washington, DC.  She was a truly amazing woman and the presentation is well done if understated, and I understand it was renovated a few years ago.  Across a footbridge is what used to be the big amusement park in the area, which the National Park Service acquired in a land swap to preserve scenic easements.  Today they do various performing and visual arts in restored park buildings and the hand-carved and -painted carousel from 1921 and 256-pipe Wurlitzer organ with hundreds of music rolls runs in the summer.

Back to Barton, she had been enticed to live at Glen Echo in the 1890s by real estate developer brothers who wanted to create a sort of health resort and semi-permanent chautauqua encampment, with Barton as head of the ladies' auxiliary.  The chautauqua failed and the land was repurposed for amusements by the trolley company, but Barton retained the deed to her house.  An early manager of the park, a real jerk named Alonzo Shaw, wanted her out so he could make a hotel out of the house.  He built a scenic railway around it up to the property line and a Ferris wheel across from the front porch.  She didn't budge, so he extended a turn on the Dips coaster to be level with her bedroom window.  Barton wrote in her diary that summer: "The evenings are very pretty, the lights cheerful.  The noise in no way disturbs us."  Shaw was out as manager in 1908 after Barton refused his request for a loan to make improvements, and Barton died at the home in 1912.

By the way, I had a tiring afternoon packing and sending everyone's holiday boxes.  All I wanted at the end of it was to get something to drink.  Would you believe it, the market had Orange Crush and Sunkist, but where the hell was my Fanta?!

Edited by 853fisher
I forgot the best part: the loan request!
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

From the link that M. Darcy posted last week, it looks like it's episodes with categories where Alex did the clues on location somewhere (like the hockey category tonight). 

I was thinking the same thing!

I don't even know how I did tonight; I wasn't really keeping track. Did not get FJ, though.

I can't wait for the Sesame Street category tomorrow! I got buttercup knickers and NY Islanders.

• Love 2

For yesterday’s rerun I knew FJ was that Nazi (secretly Nazi?) pilot that so many adored, but I’ve never been good with names, which is why I only started watching Jeopardy with my parents during visits in their last years. But now I can recall Mom referring to him as “Lindy,” but I don’t know if Mom was being ironic––like if no teen girls knew about Lindbergh’s anti-Semitic and other social-Darwinistic leanings until after his heroic heartthrob pilot days. Might Google. 

Anyway, I was surprised only Ken Jennings knew that FJ. And I vaguely recall Dad being both irritated by Ken Jennings’ rapid-fire clean-ups on Jeopardy, while simultaneously admiring his ability. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Doesn't matter how many times they ask about Helen Keller, I will always answer Patty Duke.

Alex looked like he was really enjoying the hockey segment.  

I never knew Lindbergh was an anti-Semite, didn't know anything about him except for his flying and baby being kidnapped.  I am very disappointed.

I thought of Joseph McCarthy for FJ but figured the year was way too early.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Trey said:

Doesn't matter how many times they ask about Helen Keller, I will always answer Patty Duke.

Alex looked like he was really enjoying the hockey segment.  

I never knew Lindbergh was an anti-Semite, didn't know anything about him except for his flying and baby being kidnapped.  I am very disappointed.

I thought of Joseph McCarthy for FJ but figured the year was way too early.

I should have gotten Lindbergh - I knew his background and if they'd said anti-Semite I'd have gotten there. Unfortunately my mind sprang to Billy Mitchell (which was way too early for the clue) and didn't come back from that.

When I read the list of the episodes, I figured they were episodes where Alex traveled to wherever and was featured in the clues. I think that's a pretty fitting tribute. He always had a lot of fun, and I remember the Opera one that's coming up. I might even get one or two - as I've absorbed some of the opera stuff over the years.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, Bliss said:

and since I was taking a J! break during Ken's reign, I'd missed this episode.

I was taking a break too although not because of Ken.  I'd watched all the Art Fleming era Jeopardy! and some years of the remake, but I got tired of the sameness of the questions and answers and gave it a rest for a while.  This was pre-internet, at least for me - a posting board with snark and insightful posts would have kept me watching.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Also, this episode reminded me how much I hate that set. It was so ugly and exemplified the worst of 00s style.

I would love a modern take on the 1991-96 set, I loved the metal latticework and the color change during Double Jeopardy.

But the current set is great and I wouldn't mind them leaving the separated podiums as is after the pandemic is over.

Edited by theartandsound
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

And the floor so shiny. I was afraid AT was going to slip and fall.

At the end, it was fun to see everyone standing together. It made me look up the heights for Ken and AT.

Shout out to a certain poster here via K.C., student from Bloomington, Indiana.

I had to look up Botticelli's Primavera. It didn't overwhelm me and make me fall in love with art history (I had five years of that subject!) as it did K.C. It did make me realize Botticelli used the same exact pose for that Venus as he did in his Birth of Venus painting, otherwise known as Venus On The Half Shell to some scholars. Cheater.

I got a laugh that during the interviews, AT told Ken that H+R Block had offered to do Ken's taxes. Too bad he didn't remember that tidbit some games later.

Watching Ken (I did not see any of his run), I imagined all the snark he would have gotten on this thread. It would have been harsh, no doubt.

I gave myself a High Five that I knew the TS of knickers and Ken did not. Of course, I got about 200 Low Fives at all the clues he knew and I did not.

For FJ I said Eddie Rickenbacker. He didn't die until 1973, so it could have been. It was after the answer was revealed that I remembered Lindbergh getting notoriety for his somewhat un-American viewpoint. Make that very un-American viewpoint.

The clue of Ferdinand, the Kentucky-Derby-winning Thoroughbred horse, was sad. The truth is, it is not known if he ended up in a can of Japanese pet food or as steaks on the table of a Japanese restaurant. The clue didn't mention that second part, but it's true. He won the 1986 Kentucky Derby, the 1987 Breeders Cup and was the '87 Eclipse Horse of the Year. He won close to $4 million in his career. He was retired to stud in 1989 and sold to Japan in 1994. He went to slaughter in 2002, without notice to his former owners. His story is part of the reason many horse slaughterhouses in the U.S. were closed, with horses having to be shipped to Canada for slaughter and export to horse-eating European countries. While that sounds great for America, it was a death knell for horses in America. The typical auction price for a nice riding horse used to be $800-$1,000 when bidding against the slaughter-house buyers. Prices dipped to maybe $100-$200 for that same horse after plant closures. It was no longer feasible to pay a $500-$1,500 stud fee, register the foal for $300, raise it months or years, train it, and then sell it for $100.

Long side note, but I was a first-hand witness/victim to that horse-market crash. I was lucky to have a shirt left on my back.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Nice to see Cheryl Farrell of the Clue Crew.  I'm sure I've seen her somewhere else since then too.  Anyway, now she is apparently a writer and advocate, focused largely on the Black experience.

Thank you for her name.

For "ICK"Y WORDS, $600, "Last name of the golfing great who was the first to twice win the British Open, Masters, PGA & U.S. Open," my husband and I both said Phil Mickelson. He doesn't actually fit the clue golf-wise (not that we knew that), but he does have the ICK!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Brayden reminds me a little of Jerry Mathers in Leave it to Beaver (way before your time, probably).

Sadly, no

All I know is that the Fanta I drank in Germany (in the late 60's and early 70's) tasted absolutely nothing like the bright orange stuff in the States. 

Clanstarling, ITA with you about German Fanta. It was better!  Did you have a truck come on base that sold German beer and pop, with the hinged tops? We hardly ever got that because the American stuff was cheaper at the commissary 😞

• Love 4

I don't know if Lindbergh was as much anti-Semite as he was pro-Nazi.  If that makes sense.

I dislike Ken Jennings to the point that I switched off the recording after the first round. 

I

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I dislike Ken Jennings to the point that I switched off the recording after the first round.

I watched his run back in 2004.  He was certainly impressive but I eventually tired of his glib, smug, pie dough-faced mug.  Watching a rerun of him, or him on one of the Jeopardy tournaments now makes me think of Mark Zuckerberg.  I'm not looking forward to him taking over as host.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But now I can recall Mom referring to him as “Lindy,” but I don’t know if Mom was being ironic––like if no teen girls knew about Lindbergh’s anti-Semitic and other social-Darwinistic leanings until after his heroic heartthrob pilot days.

I don't think it was just teenage girls.  Everyone called him "Lindy" after his flight across the Atlantic.  He was a major American hero for a long time.  That's one of the things that made him so problematic in FDR's view.

By the late 30s-early 40s, anyone who was politically aware would have known about Lindbergh's political views.  He made frequent speeches in favor of the U.S. staying out of the war, and generally of accepting that the Nazi presence in Europe was none of America's business.  We tend to forget about it these days, but there was a fair amount of pro-German sentiment in the U.S. in the days leading up to the War.  Lindbergh gave a genuine "heroic" face to that sentiment, which is one of the reasons that FDR criticized him so strongly.

In less serious matters, it was interesting to see Ken playing in just a typical game, somewhere in the midst of his long run.  Usually all that gets repeated are his tournament appearances.  This episode is a good reminder of what a "normal" player he was, contrasted with someone like James Holzhauer.  He took the categories in order, top to bottom, stayed in one category until it was finished, and his Daily Double wagers were pretty conservative.  He just answered a lot more questions than anybody else, but otherwise he didn't really do anything differently.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
On 12/18/2020 at 6:54 PM, saber5055 said:

HOLY COW @teebax, is it good to see you again. I'm SO GLAD you are back. It's like we all just got some good news for a change. Yeay Teebax!

Thank you, and to everyone else. It's still hard to watch, and even harder now that Alex is gone, but I'm glad to be back, too. Of course, I came back right as they were going into repeats, so....

I'm one of the (apparently) few people who really likes Ken. Like most long-time contestants, I can see how he could be divisive, but I always found him unoffensive, and I like that he started from the tops of the categories.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Dobian said:

I watched his run back in 2004.  He was certainly impressive but I eventually tired of his glib, smug, pie dough-faced mug.  Watching a rerun of him, or him on one of the Jeopardy tournaments now makes me think of Mark Zuckerberg.  I'm not looking forward to him taking over as host.

I admire Ken's Jeopardy¡ accomplishments and he seems to be a decent guy, but what qualities does he possess that would qualify him as a TV show host? His voice is high and a bit whiny, not at all commanding, like Alex's clear baritone. I've always been impressed with AT's obvious effort to learn and pronounce foreign words clearly and correctly, almost like a professor, whereas Ken tends to talk fast. I hope his interim run contains enough foreign names and titles to demonstrate how he will handle these. Personality? Gravitas? Does Ken have what it takes?

If he does, great! I love Jeopardy¡ and hope it continues for a long time. The selection of the next host will be a huge determining factor.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, teebax said:

I'm one of the (apparently) few people who really likes Ken. Like most long-time contestants, I can see how he could be divisive, but I always found him unoffensive, and I like that he started from the tops of the categories.

Hi @teebax. I know things were difficult for you after your time on the show, but it would be cool if you had any memories of Alex you could post in that thread. We would all enjoy reading your thoughts, looking back at your tournament time.

I'm a huge Ken fan. Follow him on Twitter, have his books. Once he replied to one of my tweets and I about had a fan gurl heart attack, one of the best moments of my life. I thought about everyone starting at the top of the board during yesterday's rerun, and got a chuckle knowing how that would change and freak so many out about people not "playing by the rules."

During the years I've been watching, I can't think of any Jeopardy players I dislike, with the exception of Ryan, and if he hadn't told that story about the puppy, I wouldn't have minded him either. I'm positive many posters here would dislike me with a passion if I ever got on the show with my flannel shirts, Croc shoes, ponytail hair, lack of makeup, squinting at the board, inability to figure the right FJ bet and panic at being on national teevee, so I tend to cut all players some slack. "Judge not lest ye be ..."

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was hoping they would go back and air the first few episodes when Alex started as host of Jeopardy.  I have nothing against Ken Jennings, but I would rather watch episodes that I have never seen before.

They aired those recently before the current season started, when the previous season ran out of episodes because of the pandemic. I know I saw Alex's first two episodes, then they had some from I think his second year? And some other memorable episodes with Chuck Forrest & Frank Spangenberg.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I don't know if Lindbergh was as much anti-Semite as he was pro-Nazi.  If that makes sense.

I think Lindbergh was an equal opportunity racist, if that's what you mean, @PaulaO.
@MrAtoz gives a brief and relevant explanation above of Lindy's rise and fall in public opinion.

Looking forward to discussion of today's rerun's delightful elements.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Sadly, no

Clanstarling, ITA with you about German Fanta. It was better!  Did you have a truck come on base that sold German beer and pop, with the hinged tops? We hardly ever got that because the American stuff was cheaper at the commissary 😞

We lived on the economy most of the time, so I bought it in German stores. But I remember those trucks at our housing area in Spain.

4 hours ago, teebax said:

I like Ken too. I'm not sure I see him as a host - but I'll withhold judgement. He might surprise us.

• Love 3

Heh, I got Mussolini because I just saw a reference to Clara Petacci in an article yesterday.

Michael is...intense. I had to laugh at his reaction when he realized he'd won.

I got all of the Sesame Street category! The outtakes with Elmo at the end were great. 😄 

The "Hey Julie" reference made me happy. I love that song.

I got FJ. 🙂

13 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I like Ken too. I'm not sure I see him as a host - but I'll withhold judgement. He might surprise us.

Same.

• Love 5

There are not enough words to adequately describe my dislike of Elmo.  All the other Muppets are great, but Elmo makes me want to hurt someone.  

FJ was an instaget -- I might have remembered it, but who knows.  It is entirely possible that I figured it out again.

I also got the TS of salud, protein, Shopaholic, and clip-on.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was surprised they didn’t all know salud and shopaholic, but maybe those words hadn’t yet entered the popular lexicon at that time? 
What year was this?

The winner was so hyper! Maybe he was one of those ADHD kids from that era who was kept on stimulants into young adulthood?

Anyway, I laughed when Alex told them at the first break he could rest his clicker finger. 

Alex was so sweet with the Muppets, but even funnier pretending to strangle one. 

• Love 4

I wondered what happened the day before to cause AT to comment about how bad the beginning and ending were. Felt sorry for the champ when he said that.

Someone noted on TJF site that Michael went on to win the TOC that year.

I like the "Boop boop beep boop" when the clues are loaded onto the board. It's somehow calming. Wish they still did that.

I got salud, protein (eggs!) and Shopaholic.

I like how excited Michael was when he was declared the new champ. That was cool.

FJ was easy for me today, which is amazing. I'm back at the Table For One. So far anyway.

AT with Elmo made me tear up at the end. Then the extended scenes with Elmo made me laugh. So thanks show, for pulling me out of the dumps. I spend too much time there lately.

• Love 9

I don’t hate Elmo.  My kids loved him, and now my granddaughter does too.  For a little while she called anything red “ Elmo”.

However, in my opinion, Grover is the best (and most underrated) of the Muppets.

I did enjoy the outtakes at the end. 
I know the episode originally aired in 2006, but I am surprised I didn’t remember that there was a contestant named Lizard. Maybe I missed that one.

• Love 5

I did like seeing the champ get all worked up at the end.  I wondered what he was up to today.  He had the look of a broadcast meteorologist, which I assumed he was, but apparently he's a teacher / professor.  "Lizard, a welder" sounded like an interesting dinner party guest even before we heard of his attempts to communicate by dewlap.  I suppose Alex really did like anchovies?  I knew I liked him.

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

There are not enough words to adequately describe my dislike of Elmo.  All the other Muppets are great, but Elmo makes me want to hurt someone.  

Is that why you arranged for Alex to smother him in his blazer? 😉  I like Elmo but am not sure I've been exposed regularly.  I could certainly understand why guardians of children with Tickle-Me-Elmo might feel differently.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was surprised they didn’t all know salud and shopaholic.

I'm guilty on "salud."  I think I was confused by "slainte" and the French "santé" and ended up with the French.  What can I say?  I prefer to drink quietly without a lot of fuss.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wondered what happened the day before to cause AT to comment about how bad the beginning and ending were.

It does look like DJ was fine, but J! Archive shows that the contestants finished the first round on $0, $800, and -$1000.  Then everyone got FJ wrong.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

I didn’t get a chance to post about Monday’s game, but I did get the final of Lindbergh. 
Last night I I came up with protein, shopaholic, (I said bow tie, but was wrong because the answer was clip on), Northeastern, and I got the FJ of Kissinger. It’s weird looking at the old sets that they used and like Saber I miss the boop sounds as they are scrambling the answers in the categories. I don’t think I saw tonight’s episode when it originally aired because I would have remembered the name Lizard. Although I thought the Sesame Street answers were cute (and Alex was featured in the clues), but dang I was worried that they wouldn’t clear the board as they took so much time to get the answer out. 

• Love 4