Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I loved the Muppets, even Elmo, but I haven't seen too much of him.

I know I got a couple of ts's but didn't bother writing them down.

For FJ, I knew right away who they wanted but it took a couple more seconds to dredge his name up.

• Love 4

Once I went to a meeting at which Henry Kissinger spoke.  I didn't meet him, and don't remember what I would have said if I had, but I would *not* have complimented him on his performance in "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."

(There is a rumor that the character of Dr. Strangelove was based on Kissinger, but Peter Sellers said it was Wernher von Braun.)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I don’t hate Elmo.  My kids loved him, and now my granddaughter does too.  For a little while she called anything red “ Elmo”.

However, in my opinion, Grover is the best (and most underrated) of the Muppets.

I'm not fond of Elmo, but I don't hate him. Totally agree Grover is the best. Our girls had a Grover puppet, and he was a big hit in our house.

9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I'm guilty on "salud."  I think I was confused by "slainte" and the French "santé" and ended up with the French.  What can I say?  I prefer to drink quietly without a lot of fuss.

I got stuck on "Sláinte" even though I knew it was wrong - Irish is not the same as Spanish. I just couldn't get it out of my head.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

You know what's kind of weird to me. That a Sesame Street category about food did not include Cookie Monster.

They were talking about the healthiest foods, not the tastiest! 🙂

I think "protein" was missed because it seemed so obvious that they must have been looking for something else. At least, that's what was happening in my head before I decided to say the obvious.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Someone noted on TJF site that Michael went on to win the TOC that year.

I thought he looked familiar! His energy kind of drained mine, though. 😄

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

We lived on the economy most of the time

Wonder if they still use that phrase 🙂

I cannot believe I didn't remember a guy named Lizard. 

Kissinger was an instaget, but then I started thinking about Haldeman and Ehrlichman, ultimately deciding that making people discern between those two would have been too much. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern: which was which? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

You know what's kind of weird to me. That a Sesame Street category about food did not include Cookie Monster.

I was going to say perhaps this 2006 episode was before Cookie Monster had his "come to fruits and vegetables" moment, but the song "A Cookie Is a Sometime Food" is from 2004. There was backlash, though 🙄, that went on for quite a while, and I wouldn't be surprised if Sesame Street kept him out of the category just to avoid stirring up more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Trey said:

I wondered about that too.  Although I've certainly heard "shoot the wad" in a non-racy way, as Lizard meant it.

A few years back I was helping a professor who was born around 1940 with a reference question when he used it in a similar, totally non-sexual, manner. 
It gave me a bit of the heebie jeebies even though I am old enough to remember when the phrase was used casually, much like the F word is today.

Edited by shapeshifter
Mistakenly quoted reference to other turn of phrase
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

A few years back I was helping a professor who was born around 1940 with a reference question when he used it in a similar, totally non-sexual, manner. 
It gave me a bit of the heebie jeebies even though I am old enough to remember when the phrase was used casually, much like the F word is today.

The conversation you quoted was about the phrase "lived on the economy", not shooting one's wad, heh, but thanks for inadvertently reminding me to ask: @Clanstarling, I took that to refer to military families overseas living off base rather than on, but, knowing nothing of the military, I'd never heard of it and an internet search didn't help me, so I'm curious to get a piece of trivia for the day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The conversation you quoted was about the phrase "lived on the economy", not shooting one's wad, heh, but thanks for inadvertently reminding me to ask: @Clanstarling, I took that to refer to military families overseas living off base rather than on, but, knowing nothing of the military, I'd never heard of it and an internet search didn't help me, so I'm curious to get a piece of trivia for the day.

You figured it out. We lived off base when we could. My dad was a big believer in mingling with our host country residents.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

I read that Alex’s final show would air Christmas Day, but my Over-The-Air ABC schedule shows sports. Is there anywhere to see it if I don’t have cable? 

Alex's last five will now air the week of January 4th.  I think sports preemptions on ABC, whose affiliates I understand show J! in a majority of markets, was a major factor in this decision.  There is no legitimate source for these episodes other than watching them the traditional way on TV.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Did not get FJ today.  In my defense, I've never had children, so never needed the Lamaze method.  Still, I should have known it!  

I did get National Gallery, Wadsworth (on a guess), likelihood, sheeplike, and Petruchio.  

Loved the "classified" bit with Alex.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Did not get FJ today.  In my defense, I've never had children, so never needed the Lamaze method.  Still, I should have known it

I knew “Lamaze” because I had 3 children even though I never used that method, which is based on observing dogs panting in labor—because they perspire via their tongues.
Instead  I used the Bradley method based on observations of women giving birth outdoors whose homes were overrun by soldiers. No screaming necessary. Only drawback is the doctors always go out for a meal because they don’t recognize the moment before birth. 
TMI?

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I used the Bradley method based on observations of women giving birth outdoors whose homes were overrun by soldiers. No screaming necessary. Only drawback is the doctors always go out for a meal because they don’t recognize the moment before birth.

Is that the General Omar Bradley Method? Interesting you gave birth outside. I guess the no screaming is so the wolves don't come to eat the afterbirth. I hope the doctors didn't expect to get paid for eating dinner while not birthing babies.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I knew “Lamaze” because I had 3 children even though I never used that method, which is based on observing dogs panting in labor—because they perspire via their tongues.

Actually, dogs only sweat through one part of their bodies, their foot pads. At dog shows during very hot weather, handlers will stand their dogs on a wet towel to help keep them cool. Dogs will also leave wet footprints when it's hot and they've been sweating. As for panting, dogs pant to let body heat escape through their mouths. No sweating involved there at all.

And not all dogs pant while delivering puppies. It depends on the situation. Mostly, they don't. The ones that do pant do so from stress, not sweating or to "help" them have contractions.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2

The "classified" bit went way over my head until the punchline was revealed.  I was thinking it was a bit blue for the circumstances and trying to fill in swears in a way that would be funny.  You can take 853 out of the gutter, but...

"Ovine" was utterly infuriating.  Not 24 hours ago I read it and didn't recognize it, so I looked it up.  I remembered everything about how and why I looked it up but not what it meant.  I won't forget now.

No joy on "Lamaze" here either.  I am a man unlikely to become a father, but my first friends have started to get pregnant on purpose over the last few years, so I hear about it.  I guess I think of it as a technique or method more than an organization.  Fortunately, that was not the clue featuring Alex on location.

I couldn't help but think that the clues about Felicity Huffman and Lance Armstrong would perhaps be a bit different today.  I also remember how cool it was to see vending machines with a little sticker indicating they would accept the Sacagawea dollars.  Surely the next big thing, no?  No?

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Instead  I used the Bradley method based on observations of women giving birth outdoors whose homes were overrun by soldiers. No screaming necessary. Only drawback is the doctors always go out for a meal because they don’t recognize the moment before birth. 
TMI?

I went to Lamaze classes, but my birthing experiences were unusual (TV show fast), so I didn't really use the methods. Maybe that's why only the faintest idea floated through my head and I didn't manage to get it.

Yesterday, however, for the first time ever, I answered FJ by the topic alone. So it balances out.

• Love 6

The official website calls these two weeks of reruns “Around the World with Alex.” In one headline these are called “Alex’s favorite episodes.” The subsequent explanation is in my eyes ambiguous as to whether these are “episodes individually selected by Alex” or “selected episodes that include the things we know Alex liked best.” If he did personally select them, I like them even better than I already did.

Truthfully, Alex did such a brilliant job of making the game the focus every time that I can’t think of many better ways to do a “Best of Alex” than with episodes featuring categories assembled from his travels. There were rarely, if ever, more than one of these per episode, so it doesn’t get more highlight-y than that. Two of the three have also had additional little interstitials, the outtakes with Elmo and the “confidential” gag. I think they’ve been very well chosen.

A category of Alex-led clues, blended seamlessly into the boards, is to me exemplary of his approach to the show. So I appreciate that opinions will differ, and I myself did some light complaining about wanting episodes from a wider chronological range, but I applaud the choices we’ve seen so far.

• Love 9
On 12/22/2020 at 8:33 PM, shapeshifter said:

I was surprised they didn’t all know salud and shopaholic, but maybe those words hadn’t yet entered the popular lexicon at that time? 
What year was this?

This was originally aired in 2007. The first Kinsella Shopaholic book came out in 2000, The movie was released in 2009.

I didn't get salud; I thought it was salut, and meant Salute, as in, I salute you.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I guess I think of it as a technique or method more than an organization.

Same here, though I do know there are Lamaze brand baby toys, and the company I work for sells them (and I have bought some for baby shower gifts), so I felt like I should have at least considered it, but it didn't occur to me.

4 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I didn't get salud; I thought it was salut, and meant Salute, as in, I salute you.

Well, they come from the same root, meaning  ‘health, welfare, greeting’ so you weren't too far off.

• Love 3

I've scanned back a few pages but haven't found an answer.  Is there a theme the show is going for in selecting these specific shows?

If there is I'm not seeing it.

I see there is a discussion immediately above but  I'm still not seeing it.

Edited by DaveA
5 minutes ago, DaveA said:

I've scanned back a few pages but haven't found an answer.  Is there a theme the show is going for in selecting these specific shows?

I see there is a discussion immediately above but  I'm still not seeing it.

Each show has a category that features Alex in the clues.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, DaveA said:

According to this, it's "Around the World with Alex"; I think they're just ones where Alex got to have fun traveling and doing the clues for a category. (I think the opera one next week is where he got to dress up in the  costumes.)

Monday, Dec. 21              Hockey  (Original Airdate: 10/14/04)
Tuesday, Dec. 22             Sesame Street  (Original Airdate: 04/04/06)
Wednesday, Dec. 23        The U.S. Air Force: USO Tour to Japan (Original Airdate:  09/27/07)
Thursday, Dec. 24            Machu Picchu  (Original Airdate: 11/06/07)
Friday, Dec. 25                 Niagara Falls    (Original Airdate: 01/15/09)

Week 2: Dec. 28 - Jan. 1
Monday, Dec. 28              Journey Through Israel  (Original Airdate: 11/23/09)
Tuesday, Dec. 29             Galápagos Wildlife  (Original Airdate: 12/09/09)
Wednesday, Dec. 30        Operatic Costumes: The Met  (Original Airdate: 11/09/11)
Thursday, Dec. 31            Petra  (Original Airdate: 11/14/11)
Friday, Jan. 1                   National Museum of African American History and Culture  (Original Airdate: 2/06/17)

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Michael Johnson was real machine on the buzzer Wednesday. The other two players kept looking at each other, gobsmacked, like we don't even get to buzz in? I looked Michael up and was surprised to see he was a one-day champ. I thought for sure he would have made it to TOC. The person who defeated him the next game must have been something.

I got a couple TSs but didn't care enough to write them down. Like one of the players, I guessed Spock for FJ because I could think of no other doctors that would be birthing babies. I never knew Lamaze was a real guy.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I got a couple TSs but didn't care enough to write them down. Like one of the players, I guessed Spock for FJ because I could think of no other doctors that would be birthing babies. I never knew Lamaze was a real guy.

Confession: My mind considered Spock for a moment before realizing it had to be Lamaze. 

21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The other two players kept looking at each other, gobsmacked, like we don't even get to buzz in?

That seems to happen a lot, which has got to be a bummer for those who worked so hard to get on Jeopardy. 

A friend got to the interview stage but didn't make it on the show. 

• Love 2

With all respect to Alex, but the Spanish didn't discover any of the Americas since people were already here.  But you especially can't say they discovered something when you say in the same breath that a little boy lead them to it! That makes me think "I don't think that word means what you think it means!"

Sorry. But that bugged. The game was good but I do hope we get to see people in familiar with, like some of those who made the various ultimate TOC games. I get the theme but I like connecting with the contestants more. Pam Mueller for example would be fun to see.

• Love 4

Well, unless something drastic happens tomorrow, save me a seat at the Table for One -- another FJ where I had no idea, but should have known.  

But I did get Sweeney Todd and carnival glass.  Sweeney Todd is one of my favorites (the original stage version -- stay far away from the Tim Burton movie version!).

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

With all respect to Alex, but the Spanish didn't discover any of the Americas since people were already here.  But you especially can't say they discovered something when you say in the same breath that a little boy lead them to it! That makes me think "I don't think that word means what you think it means!"

Somebody has to say it; it might as well be me: "INCONCEIVABLE!"

I think Burton's Sweeney Todd is like Diet Dr Pepper - it's OK on its own, but don't expect it to be *anything* as good as the original.

Fourth day in a row of FJ being "Who Is..."  which I totally missed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

We missed part of the first J! round due to tornado warnings in the southern part of our viewing area. Enjoyed the episode, though.

The “discovered” phrasing doesn’t bother me, though I am glad we’re all becoming more aware of how things are explained, and how it can be hurtful/insulting.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Thursday, Dec. 24            Machu Picchu  (Original Airdate: 11/06/07)
Friday, Dec. 25                 Niagara Falls    (Original Airdate: 01/15/09)

Monday, Dec. 28              Journey Through Israel  (Original Airdate: 11/23/09)
Tuesday, Dec. 29             Galápagos Wildlife  (Original Airdate: 12/09/09)
Wednesday, Dec. 30        Operatic Costumes: The Met  (Original Airdate: 11/09/11)
Thursday, Dec. 31            Petra  (Original Airdate: 11/14/11)
Friday, Jan. 1                   National Museum of African American History and Culture  (Original Airdate: 2/06/17)

Links added:

Thursday, Dec. 24            Machu Picchu  (Original Airdate: 11/06/07)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2162
Friday, Dec. 25                 Niagara Falls    (Original Airdate: 01/15/09)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2872

Monday, Dec. 28              Journey Through Israel  (Original Airdate: 11/23/09)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3224
Tuesday, Dec. 29             Galápagos Wildlife  (Original Airdate: 12/09/09)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3242
Wednesday, Dec. 30        Operatic Costumes: The Met  (Original Airdate: 11/09/11)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3755
Thursday, Dec. 31            Petra  (Original Airdate: 11/14/11)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3759
Friday, Jan. 1                   National Museum of African American History and Culture  (Original Airdate: 2/06/17)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5518

As my boss used to say when she wanted me to be sure she got dates and times right on the website: Please check my "math."

"Today" for the DD under "HISTORIC SUPREME COURT DECISIONS?" as soon as I read/heard "Colorful recluse spider" I knew it was Brown vs. The Board of Education
*pats self on back* 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

We missed part of the first J! round due to tornado warnings in the southern part of our viewing area.

Holy cow! Tornadoes! That's one thing not to worry about at my house where it's -15 degrees with 40mph winds.

Craig and Celeste looked familiar to me, so I know I was watching the show in 2007. I started my own business in 2006 so was able to watch this show for the first time ever. I just don't remember when I started the habit.

I got the TSs of menudo, granite, vortex and carnival glass. I used to be an avid collector of certain items so that was a good category for me. I also liked the Buffet category, being a big fan of food. Back when I was traveling a lot for business, it was my goal to order a Crème Brûlée in every city. That it was a clue brought back some good memories.

Of course all three players got FJ, the answer being a person I'd never heard of in my entire life. He isn't even a glimmer in the back of one brain cell.

Do you guys know why Santa is always so jolly? Because he knows where all the naughty girls live. Here's hoping Santa pays a visit to each and every one of you tonight.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

"Today" for the DD under "HISTORIC SUPREME COURT DECISIONS?" as soon as I read/heard "Colorful recluse spider" I knew it was Brown vs. The Board of Education
*pats self on back* 

That was a fun category.

19 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Do you guys know why Santa is always so jolly? Because he knows where all the naughty girls live. Here's hoping Santa pays a visit to each and every one of you tonight.

I just checked the Santa Tracker and he's headed for Cancun right now...

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Nowhere close to the frozen tundra where I live.

Do you know what Santa would say if his sleigh were pulled by horses instead of reindeer? "Whoa, whoa, whoa."

• LOL 5
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Of course all three players got FJ, the answer being a person I'd never heard of in my entire life.

Likely many of us thought, "That sounds like a Pyrrhic victory, so his name must have been something like Pyrrhus."

• Love 5

Thanks, @shapeshifter, for posting the links. J! won't be shown here due to some sporting event. Of course, I did get each and every Niagara Falls answer (because I am smart! And humble!). And it's divided into 3 falls, clue writers, not 2--the Bridal Veil Falls is small but distinct.

So there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Lucky Santa!

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Holy cow! Tornadoes! That's one thing not to worry about at my house where it's -15 degrees with 40mph winds.

I guess I shouldn't complain about 19 degrees and 30mph winds.  🙂  For the first time in years, though, we actually have snow on the ground at Christmas!  Only about 3-4 inches, but for here, that's a lot.  (I will complain a little, since my heat pump is still broken -- even after they fixed it Monday.  It's running on aux heat, but it can only keep the house at about 63-64 degrees when it's this cold outside!)

ETA: The snow is very beautiful -- it stuck well to the bare, dark tree branches. 

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3