Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 & 2 Discussion

Avabelle
Message added by Whimsy,

This thread is now locked.  There are individual episode threads where you can take the discussion.  Feel free to quote a post from this thread and carry it over to the episode thread to continue discussions. 

• Start Topic

Agreed it’s really sweet.

Im only about 4 episodes in. I thought that Juno Temple was going to be a love interest for Lasso but liking the development between her and the cranky older player.

• Love 2

I've watched 3 episodes and like it as well, but I would not recommend it as "must see TV". I think the writing could be a bit sharper. Also, hopefully without sounding like a prude, I think the show would be better if they dialed back on the profanity and lewd references at least 50%. It's sort of jarring to me, given the sweetness of the Ted character. I don't know if it's "we're streaming and we can get away with it", or they're contrasting the rest of the world to Ted's behavior.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

So is Jamie just gone now? I was surprised there was barely any mention of him. 

also teds wife is an asshole - maybe give him a few days to process the end of a marriage he wanted to work.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/12/2020 at 5:57 PM, iLoveNny said:

I legitimately teared up when Ted started having his panic attack. 

Me too. I went thru something similar when my dog died last November. I literally thought I was losing my mind.  He nailed that scene. 

I also teared up at Sam's birthday party,  and when they made the sacrifices for the 1914 team. When I saw the poster in the pub, I knew it was going to be something about boys going off to WWI. 

I watched this episode and when a new one didn't appear (didn't realize they drop one a week) I was really getting angry til I saw "new episode Friday". 

I hope Olivia doesn't mind, I have a major crush on Jason. 

That is the first time I have heard someone sing Let It Go and not turned off the tv. I don't have kids so I never saw Frozen, and I tried to watch it on cable a while back. Could not get thru the song. Was that really Hannah? What a voice! 

• Love 9
15 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Hope it gets renewed.

I googled it because I also love this show and have watched each episode more than once and it's already been renewed for season 2! But because of covid, obviously, they don't know when they can start filming season 2.

Whenever I rewatch the episodes, I pick up on little things I missed watching it the first time. Like in this past episode, Roy mouthing the words to Let It Go, probably because of his cutie patootie niece.

I also recently learned that the actress who plays Rebecca played the "Shame! Shame!" nun on Game of Thrones.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Useful 6
  • Love 12
On 9/14/2020 at 1:24 PM, MerBearStare said:

I also recently learned that the actress who plays Rebecca played the "Shame! Shame!" nun on Game of Thrones.

I just realized that Juno Temple (Keeley) was one of the daughters in that Dirty John mini series with Connie Britton. 

This week's episode was adorable. I don't care how schmaltzy it gets, I like seeing people who make mistakes redeem themselves. I know there has to be conflict, everything can't work out for everyone, but Ted just makes me feel good. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10

I was sort of hoping Ted would tell Rebecca he already had figured that was what she was doing -- hiring him to fail -- but he was okay with it because he wanted the experience. Him forgiving her was very nice, too, but it would have been cool if he had known all along. 

I'm still having a rough time with Rupert being such an asshole. It's hard to see the man be so mean, but he did have all that Watcher's Council training, so he must have reverted to form. Still, he could use a little slayer intervention (by the way, did you notice he dropped the Stewart?from his name. Just Anthony Head now. Or maybe it was the other way around).

Good to see Coach Beard calling Ted out. And seeing Ted still stand by his principles while helping Roy figure it out on his own. Keeley was great there, too, but she's pretty much been great since she smilingly pointed downward with Jamie -- everything since then has just been confirmation of awesomeness.  And I like Ted's good natured forgetting of Trent Crim's paper every time.

Just a very nice, warm show. Hope they don't end up relegated. 

Edited by whiporee
  • Like 1
  • Love 11

My plan was to get the free 7 day trial for Apple TV, binge the stuff that interested me, then cancel. But then I discovered Ted Lasso. I didn't know anything about it and figured it would be JS being an annoying American asshole, and I'm so glad that I was completely wrong. Apple TV got my $$ for a month so I could finish the season, and I found such a big hearted show in a not so great time. I even tell myself now to be curious, not judgmental. 

That was a great finale, but I'm really glad the show has been renewed. They got me with the tie goal; I was so happy. But, as Ted said, now they get to work on getting a promotion, and I'm glad I'll get to watch. And when S2 drops, Apple TV will get my $$ once again. (But probably not before then.)

• Love 11

I just saw on Instagram that Brene Brown is doing a podcast with Ted (Jason) and his assistant coach Beard (Brendan).  Will not miss!

The season one finale was as wonderful as I would have hoped.  True to the season — humor, heart, unexpected moments, quality.

Cannot wait for season two.  

• Love 6

I thought this show lived up to the hype. I’ve never really had an opinion about Jason Sudeikis but I thought he nailed this role. He was easy to root for and there were several moments I had to watch again especially for the physical comedy (him “rewinding” and then when he burst back into the door at Higgins’s Caesar pun). I think at the very least he will get an Emmy nom. 

The supporting cast was great. Coach Beard. Sam. Nate. Dani Rojas. Excellence all around. And Keeley could have been an easy character to hate. I’m glad they didn’t go down that path with her. And it blows my mind that Rebecca was Septa Unella from GOT. What a transformation! 

I loved the season finale. I teared up at Nate’s promotion and the team’s genuine excitement for him. The only thing is I thought Jamie was going to miss the goal and hit the post on purpose (which we saw earlier in the season) so the game would end in a tie and save his former team. But the note from Ted was just as great.

Glad there is going to be a season 2. 

• Love 9

I wasn't sure about this show at the start, but I thought I'd give it a shot. It's one of those shows that only gets better with every episode. All the relationships were so wonderful. The Diamond Dogs! Roy and Keeley! Ted and Rebecca! Keely and Rebecca! Dani Rojas and joy! Happy this has been renewed already, I'm looking forward to the eventual S2.

• Like 1
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, shantown said:

I wasn't sure about this show at the start, but I thought I'd give it a shot. It's one of those shows that only gets better with every episode. All the relationships were so wonderful. The Diamond Dogs! Roy and Keeley! Ted and Rebecca! Keely and Rebecca! Dani Rojas and joy! Happy this has been renewed already, I'm looking forward to the eventual S2.

I agree with all above, except we loved it from the get-go!  Delightful characters, funny, so unique, heart-warming in such an unexpected way.  Super impressive — it’s been renewed for S3 already (not just S2).

• Love 5
On 9/12/2020 at 4:57 PM, iLoveNny said:

I love this show because it could have just been silly for silly sake, but it instead has so much heart. 

Reveal spoiler

I legitimately teared up when Ted started having his panic attack. 

More specifically to me, it helped me explain the experience of a panic attack to my husband. He was speechless seeing me experience one earlier in our marriage and being able to narrate Ted's was extremely helpful to him understanding how they feel and what to do if he is ever in the situation again to witness one.

• Love 9

I thoroughly enjoyed this. I remember the Ted Lasso character from Jason's appearances on NBC's Premier League coverage years ago. I was hesitant to watch the show because the original character is so one note.

https://youtu.be/iRqypM7jb5Y

But Jason and the creative crew did a great job rounding him out in creating a compelling character. 

And the cast is great. Every character experiences some kind of personal change (even Jaime becomes less of a selfish asshole) and and the actors make all of them work.

I just had a big smile on my face during my entire binge.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

I have no interest in sports so resisted this show despite hearing some good things about it, but finally caved when one of my favorite podcasters put it on his best of 2020 list and I'm so glad I did. What a wonderful show! It's too bad it's on Apple+ where it won't get as wide an audience as it deserves, but I'm so happy they've committed to giving it more seasons.

I have some quibbles (the reveal of Rebecca's sabotage attempts, Roy's choice of captain, etc), but eh whatever. I love that while Ted is kind and open-hearted, he's not gullible or infallible. I also appreciate what they did with the characters of Rebecca and Keeley, the glimpses of the fans throughout the series, and how genuinely moving the last episode was. I teared up at the reactions of the fans after the final match. I even felt a twinge of pity for the loathsome Rupert when we see how devastated he is.

On a casting note, it still weirds me out to see James Lance as Trent Crimm since I remember him so vividly from the Absolutely Fabulous episode where he plays a classmate of Saffy's that Patsy flirts with.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Hmmm.  I got a free trial to Apple TV+ when I bought some electronic thing or another around Christmas, so episode 1 of this was the first thing I watched on the service, since I’d been hearing rave reviews from some entertainment journalists and podcasts.

I watched episode 1 and part of episode 2 (up until where the photographer is catching “compromising” photos of Ted and that woman), and I really am not feeling this show at all (hence my first checking its astounding positive score on Rotten Tomatoes and then checking in here to see what I am missing).  I guess I need to press on because it seems like everyone adores it, or at the very least finds it harmlessly charming (versus my finding it actively irritating!).

The premise has just been really hard for me to get over:  it just seems preposterous that a successful American football coach (even if it is Division II) who knows how to win (so I would presume has a competitive edge) would fly over to England without knowing the slightest thing about soccer, his players, the team, etc., beyond what his assistant coach and others at the club are telling him once he is on the plane/ there.  I hope there is a twist to this, but I suspect not.  It is also bugging me that he left his kid behind in the U.S.  So far, I have seen the one-sided phone conversation with the wife, where she is obviously done with Ted, so I get it, but man, leaving the kid in another country just because the marriage is dead seems harsh.  I also haven’t found anything particularly funny yet, even though I enjoy Bill Lawrence and Jason Sudeikis projects generally.

I see that some say it gets better as it goes?  I guess I need to give it a fair shake.  I specifically stopped it at the photographer point because I really am not looking forward to the misunderstanding about the photos.  I hope to report back as a convert to the series.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Peace 47 said:

The premise has just been really hard for me to get over:  it just seems preposterous that a successful American football coach (even if it is Division II) who knows how to win (so I would presume has a competitive edge) would fly over to England without knowing the slightest thing about soccer, his players, the team, etc., beyond what his assistant coach and others at the club are telling him once he is on the plane/ there.  I hope there is a twist to this, but I suspect not.  It is also bugging me that he left his kid behind in the U.S.  So far, I have seen the one-sided phone conversation with the wife, where she is obviously done with Ted, so I get it, but man, leaving the kid in another country just because the marriage is dead seems harsh.

I was able to overlook them, but I'd agree that those are pretty big problems with the show's set-up. It also bothered me that Ted never stops to wonder why he was hired. The journalists covering the team are portrayed as relentless so it's also a bit of a cheat that they aren't shown pushing harder on that.

I don't think I laughed a lot, though I did I enjoy the low-key humor, but the appeal for me is more the characters, watching a group of disparate people pull together, and especially the overall good-natured vibes during what's been a pretty sucky time.

Ooh, it looks like season 2 starts shooting this week: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ4O-sXHDFn/?igshid=1nvs8cxd0f8se

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 2

I remember taking a couple episodes to warm up to the show.  I had held off watching it because while I love the original skit that berthed Ted Lasso (and still watch it every once in a while, even now, seven or so years later), I thought making a TV show based on a one-off character seemed like serious reaching. When I started watching the show and Rebecca's motives were revealed, I kept asking myself, "did they really make a whole TV show that rips off the plot of Major League?" But by episode 3 I was all in. I was really taken by how genuine and sincere the show was, when they easily could have gone the other way and made Ted Lasso come off as just a dumb American. And similarly with Rebecca, she could have been a one-dimensional villain, but she was multi-faceted and it was easy to empathize with her and understand her motives. I also found the show laugh-out-load funny, and I'm not one to really laugh-out-loud at sitcoms. 

• Love 11

A fun discussion hosted by Patton Oswalt.

It was interesting to hear Jason Sudeikis mention Olivia Wilde's involvement in the show's development (and briefly reference the end of their relationship) given the recent tabloid stories about them. And I appreciated that he brought the spotlight back to Brett Goldstein after the story of how he was cast got cut short. Apart from that bit, this flows pretty well. It helps that Patton is clearly such a big fan of the show.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Golden Globe nominations!

BEST TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY

BEST ACTOR TV SERIES – COMEDY - Jason Sudeikis

The best news of all of the announcements!!!!  I love this show so much.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

SAG Award nominations!

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series - Jason Sudeikis

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series

Love Love Love it!!!

• Love 3

It may have been the time difference - if he's in London filming the new series, it would have been the middle of the night for him, right? I know Gillian Anderson is in Prague and it was like 4am for her.

I'm sorry I missed the Golden Globes, but ecstatic for Jason's win! Well-deserved indeed!

• Love 3

Cant believe it took me so long to find this gem of a show. I absolutely loved it and even though the finale made me sad, it still made me smile. All of the characters were great and I could have binged another three seasons of watching them without getting sick of them. Lots of great things to look forward to in season 2. 

• Love 13

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Danny Thomas Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television – Comedy

“Curb Your Enthusiasm” (HBO) – Season 10
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“The Flight Attendant” (HBO Max) – Season 1
Producers: Greg Berlanti, Kaley Cuoco, Steve Yockey, Meredith Lavender, Marcie Ullin, Sarah Schechter, Suzanne McCormack, Jess Meyer, Raymond Quinlan, Jennifer Lence, Erika Kennair

“Schitt’s Creek” (Pop TV) – Season 6
Producers: Eugene Levy, Daniel Levy, Andrew Barnsley, Fred Levy, David West Read, Ben Feigin, Michael Short, Kurt Smeaton, Kosta Orfanidis

“Ted Lasso” (Apple TV Plus) – Season 1
Producers: Bill Lawrence, Jason Sudeikis, Jeff Ingold, Bill Wrubel, Liza Katzer, Jane Becker, Jamie Lee, Kip Kroeger, Brendan Hunt, Tina Pawlik, Joe Kelly

“What We Do in the Shadows” (FX) – Season 2
Producers: Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi, Paul Simms, Scott Rudin, Garrett Basch, Eli Bush, Stefani Robinson, Sam Johnson, Marika Sawyer, Derek S. Rappaport

• Love 3

This has been on my list since the NPR critics gave it rave reviews and I finally binged it. I fell in love immediately just from the video of Ted dancing with his college football kids, and it only got better from there. 

Hannah Waddingham is A. Maz. Ing. From the start she was great as the woman wronged who at least got to take out the misogynistic trash of the previous coach. Even when her evil plan was revealed I couldn’t entirely hate her. She completely owned the screen in that scene where

Spoiler

Rupert tells her he’s having a baby with Bex.

Acting masterclass. (Anthony Head is gorgeous as hell but, my god, Rupert is an arsehole.) If that was really her voice singing Let It Go, I’m floored. Hannah was also a presence in Sex Education as one of Jackson’s mothers—what a hell of a range. 

I love Keeley. I love Roy. I LOVE Keeley+Roy. I love Beard and Nate and Higgins and Dani and Mae and the peanut gallery in her pub... I love to hate Jamie Tarrt (and his Baby Shark theme song), yet still empathize with how his father caused him to turn out the way he is. I hope the high school girl Ted would spar with in the street shows up in future seasons. I’m so glad there will be more!

• Love 11