Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Valhalla

• Start Topic

YAY! POGO ORIGIN STORY! And more about Grace - why do I suspect her RL story does not end well, what with Hargreeves using her image for Mom. Also, second time we're seeing the Heimlach maneuver (granted, the first one was by Vanya), which wasn't an actual thing until the '70s, right? Totally down with day drinking with Allison and Klaus - and I bet even Ben is going to join in despite his apparent reluctance.  Of course Carl is shows up early and pops Sissy and Vanya's happy bubble. The early 60s were not a time when a woman felt like she could tell her husband no when he wanted sex, or that loving another woman romantically was okay.

Five, Diego, and Luther over breakfast planning a family meeting, and Five explaining to Elliott why he can't just 'time travel' them out of the whole situation was quite enjoyable.

Kate Walsh is absolutely exquisite in this role. I cannot rave enough about how perfect she is for it, and her wardrobe is INCREDIBLE. "Did you miss me, you little shit?" Five and Lila's fight to "Bad Guy" was so fun.

Good bye, Swede #3. You were the best at the 'throwing knives at your brother' game. You--er what's left of you (right foot?) will be missed.  A Swedish cover of Adele's "Hello"? Perfect outro for that, and Diego & Luther's meet up over food, Klaus' return to his cult, Allison going to Ray (let's just see if she tells him everything)...

Some favorite lines from this episode...

"Is that my bathrobe?"
"Prepare for company."
"Sit. You're bleeding and all that rage is bad for your complexion."
"But not everybody has a mess of hooves to just lying around..." "If we have some, will you shut up?" "Maybe."

Man, they are squeezing a LOT into these episodes! So far I haven't felt like any one of them has much in the way of filler. Hopefully I have not now cursed us?

• Love 11
15 hours ago, saoirse said:

YAY! POGO ORIGIN STORY! And more about Grace - why do I suspect her RL story does not end well, what with Hargreeves using her image for Mom.

Pogo in the rocket made me so sad.  But the he was so cute in his jammies.  Yeah, I’m really enjoying the show but the Pogo scenes are making It for me.

• Love 8

So Grace is involved in whatever Reggie had going on and is aware of his shady skills.  Now I am super curious.  Obviously something happens to her -- I wonder if she is complicit in her change to 'Mom' or not.

Really here for the Klaus and Allison dynamic this season.  But awww... to the scene where they all finally reunited.  It would have been even more perfect if Klaus had told them Ben was there too.

"What if it is us?'  I am with Vanya on this one.  It is totally something they do that causes it.

Holy cow the entire beauty shop scene was made of awesome.  From Klaus dropping truth bombs with finger curl pins in his hair to Vanya's face when she learned her ex was a serial killer. And all topped off with dancing to Sam Cooke.

I just realized I am puzzled by number Five's commitment to his schoolboy outfit.  It works for him, but still....

The Viking funeral for just the foot.  OMG, I love that little touch of absurdity.  But I love the decision to have the two remaining Swedes play the scene straight and not lean in to the absurdity.

• Love 16
On 7/31/2020 at 6:49 PM, saoirse said:

Also, second time we're seeing the Heimlach maneuver (granted, the first one was by Vanya), which wasn't an actual thing until the '70s, right?

Did you mean CPR or did I miss someone doing the Heimlich maneuver? It would be about a decade early for the Heimlich but CPR was used in the ‘60’s. 

The music on this show is completely on point! Kudos!

Have they explained why Klaus doesn't tell the siblings that he has Ben with him constantly? I can't remember if that was explained and I don't understand why. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I just realized I am puzzled by number Five's commitment to his schoolboy outfit.  It works for him, but still....

Five in his UA uniform is one of the things I like best!  I think it highlights just how completely he does not give a fuck about anything that is essentially unimportant to the big picture.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Pogo origin story! Baby Pogo was so cute! We also find out that human Grace was a scientist/mother figure to baby Pogo, so she is a lot more than just Reggies date for a party, so what is the deal there? I knew that baby Pogo would be fine obviously, but I was really upset when he was in the spaceship and was getting hurt, but look at his cute picture he drew! So how is it that Reginald was a better father to baby Pogo than to any of his adopted kids? Was it the influence of human Grace that kept him from losing his empathy? 

The siblings seem so much more chill with each other this season, its really nice to see. Yeah there is still plenty of arguing and such, but they are actually getting along a whole lot better all things considered, actually making plans together, hanging out, and even hugging a few times! Well, Diego isnt quite at the hugs stage, but one day at a time. 

The beauty shop scene was amazing, I was so happy at all that sibling bonding I watched it twice! Especially the cracks about the weird ass incesty thing going on with Luther and Allison, yes thank you Klaus!

"I thought we were all brothers and sisters?" "Well...technically..."if you have to use the word technically, your already in trouble..." 

It does all seem to be a big coincidence that everyone is getting involved in stuff that could be tied into the JFK, it is fully possible that the Hargreeves cause whatever is going to go wrong...again. 

Viking funeral for the foot with Swedish Adele blasting? Oh show, this is one of many reasons I love you. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Bad Example said:

Five in his UA uniform is one of the things I like best!  I think it highlights just how completely he does not give a fuck about anything that is essentially unimportant to the big picture.  

True!

9 hours ago, Dani said:

Did you mean CPR or did I miss someone doing the Heimlich maneuver? It would be about a decade early for the Heimlich but CPR was used in the ‘60’s. 

Oops, yeah, I did mean CPR. I didn't realize it was in use that early. It took me out of the scene a bit, but then it's just one of things that does that with this show (pretty sure hippie communes weren't a big thing in Texas in the early 1960s, for example?  😉 ) that I can quickly ignore because I am just enjoying this ride!

Well, I didn't know I needed Allison and Klaus bonding but I totally did. I was also hoping I'd get to see someone getting their hair done in the beauty shop, I didn't think it would be Klaus, but of course it was. Nice to see Vanya having a little fun for once. Klaus being mean to Ben's ghost though and saying he wasn't there 😢 I guess some shit has gone on between those two. Luther's facial expressions were killing me. The one when Elliot was dishing out the ambrosia killed me.

The best part of the episode was Klaus explaining about how they knew nothing of love ending with the fact about Five humping the mannequin being the pinnacle. I could not stop laughing. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, festivus said:

Well, I didn't know I needed Allison and Klaus bonding but I totally did. I was also hoping I'd get to see someone getting their hair done in the beauty shop, I didn't think it would be Klaus, but of course it was. Nice to see Vanya having a little fun for once. Klaus being mean to Ben's ghost though and saying he wasn't there 😢 I guess some shit has gone on between those two. Luther's facial expressions were killing me. The one when Elliot was dishing out the ambrosia killed me.

The best part of the episode was Klaus explaining about how they knew nothing of love ending with the fact about Five humping the mannequin being the pinnacle. I could not stop laughing. 

I feel like the zingers and one-liners this season have been amazing. I have, literally, laughed out loud at several scenes in each episode, with most of the family. It was mostly only Klaus that was funny in the first season. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Frisson said:

I feel like the zingers and one-liners this season have been amazing. I have, literally, laughed out loud at several scenes in each episode, with most of the family. It was mostly only Klaus that was funny in the first season. 

Yep. Luther's come the furthest in the funny department, I think. I'm also loving his 'I don't give a shit' attitude. 

I'm hoping the conversation in the beauty parlor put the Luther and Allison thing to rest. I liked her storming in at the end ready to tell her husband the truth. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, festivus said:

The faces poor Vanya made! From “What?” that she had dated a serial killer, through the litany of romantic disasters, to “Whaaaaat?” at Five and the mannequin!

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Frisson said:

I almost think this season is better than the first? No drag, lots of comedy, drama, dance and fight scenes...what more could you ask for? Oh, and pretty great fashion. 

I think the episodes are a few minutes shorter and it's making a difference. Some season 1 episodes really dragged. Anyway, I loved the bonding scene at the hair salon but I was really hoping Vanya would get her hair done. It's just sitting there limp. I was hoping she'd get a cute shoulder length Jackie Kennedy or something.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, saoirse said:

(pretty sure hippie communes weren't a big thing in Texas in the early 1960s, for example

No, they certainly were not, but I'm going to assume the hippie guru thing was started early due to Klaus's doing.  On the other hand, the long-haired Texan at the poker game whose truck Klaus stole was very much an anachronism in my opinion.  No way a good ole boy would'nt have a decent haircut in the early to mid sixties.

• Love 5
On 7/31/2020 at 8:49 PM, saoirse said:

YAY! POGO ORIGIN STORY! And more about Grace - why do I suspect her RL story does not end well, what with Hargreeves using her image for Mom. Also, second time we're seeing the Heimlach maneuver (granted, the first one was by Vanya), which wasn't an actual thing until the '70s, right? Totally down with day drinking with Allison and Klaus - and I bet even Ben is going to join in despite his apparent reluctance.  Of course Carl is shows up early and pops Sissy and Vanya's happy bubble. The early 60s were not a time when a woman felt like she could tell her husband no when he wanted sex, or that loving another woman romantically was okay.

Five, Diego, and Luther over breakfast planning a family meeting, and Five explaining to Elliott why he can't just 'time travel' them out of the whole situation was quite enjoyable.

Kate Walsh is absolutely exquisite in this role. I cannot rave enough about how perfect she is for it, and her wardrobe is INCREDIBLE. "Did you miss me, you little shit?" Five and Lila's fight to "Bad Guy" was so fun.

Good bye, Swede #3. You were the best at the 'throwing knives at your brother' game. You--er what's left of you (right foot?) will be missed.  A Swedish cover of Adele's "Hello"? Perfect outro for that, and Diego & Luther's meet up over food, Klaus' return to his cult, Allison going to Ray (let's just see if she tells him everything)...

Some favorite lines from this episode...

"Is that my bathrobe?"
"Prepare for company."
"Sit. You're bleeding and all that rage is bad for your complexion."
"But not everybody has a mess of hooves to just lying around..." "If we have some, will you shut up?" "Maybe."

Man, they are squeezing a LOT into these episodes! So far I haven't felt like any one of them has much in the way of filler. Hopefully I have not now cursed us?

I agree with so much of this! Pogo! Kate Walsh and her wardrobe - just a delight. The guys having breakfast - well Luther eating a big bowl of eggs while they all talked things out.

Whoa everyone. I'm a profit - when Klause said he could go for some Tacos, I was literally making tacos for dinner lol.

Lila is like a sledgehammer when that mission of keeping 5 safe required a velvet touch. She made it way too obvious and her lie fell short big time. Plus the chick from The Fifth Element wants her bangs back.

I'm so glad the Allison and Klaus bonding continues. I loved everyone finally being in one place. Plus, Elliott, the Honorary Hargreeves.

And my lovely Klaus, please let Ben be great!

This show is amazing, I found the swedes annoying yet I genuinely felt their pain. Okay, I was teary eyed a couple times. Major Tom + Baby Pogo nearly dying got me in the feels too! I need the everyone dumping on Luther show to stop though. 

"Can you get Vanya without squeezing her to death?" was funny though!

The You know what we all have to do...Then Diego and 5 saying "Kill Dad!" "Find Dad!" simultaneously was hilarious. 

Edited by shoetingstar
  • Love 7
On 8/1/2020 at 5:01 PM, Frisson said:

I almost think this season is better than the first? No drag, lots of comedy, drama, dance and fight scenes...what more could you ask for? Oh, and pretty great fashion. 

I think so, too. 

23 hours ago, festivus said:

I laughed when Diego was about to start talking about Lila, then the others arrived, and Luther said, "Oh, thank god." 

I can't remember if anything was alluded to in the first season, of if Klaus and Ben just enjoy trolling each other. 

• Love 4

Was I imagining things or did Lila keep teleporting during the fight with Five? I thought she did it a few times, but then Five didn't comment on it at all during his talk with the Handler. Did I misinterpret fight choreography?

This is after the Swedes were somehow able to block powers in the fight at the Consulate, but no one commented on that either. I'm so confused what's going on with the Commission and power abilities! They couldn't do anything other than fight really well and use the briefcases to teleport through time last season, right? 

ETA: I think Klaus lied about Ben because he's annoyed with Ben constantly condescending to him about his bad life choices. Also, he probably didn't want to have to relay messages between Ben and the other siblings.

Edited by Zuleikha
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

Was I imagining things or did Lila keep teleporting during the fight with Five? I thought she did it a few times, but then Five didn't comment on it at all during his talk with the Handler. Did I misinterpret fight choreography?

I don't think you were imagining it, or if you were then I was also. But as someone suggested above, Lila was apparently born in the same year as the UA siblings, so maybe she also had a power that the Handler nurtured after adopting her.

19 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

This is after the Swedes were somehow able to block powers in the fight at the Consulate, but no one commented on that either. I'm so confused what's going on with the Commission and power abilities! They couldn't do anything other than fight really well and use the briefcases to teleport through time last season, right? 

I'm also confused by this. Maybe the Commission agents have evolved or the Commission has developed some kind of technology to block powers--but if either one is true, something should be said about it.

21 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

ETA: I think Klaus lied about Ben because he's annoyed with Ben constantly condescending to him about his bad life choices. Also, he probably didn't want to have to relay messages between Ben and the other siblings.

Agree with this also. No one likes a scold, but Klaus especially has no patience for anyone telling him to clean up his act. Even though Ben is trying to help him, Klaus is too self-destructive to appreciate it.

13 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

It’s not clear what she was doing during the fight. Five looked completely confused by how she was getting from one place to another and she was off camera in those moments. They seems to be hinting that she has a power without revealing anything yet.

20 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

I don’t think that the Swedes were blocking their powers. Five can only use his power so many times in a row. Diego was being choked when he tried to use is power so that seemed to throw him off. 

Five can only use his power so many times in a row.

I'm pretty sure we've seen him use his powers way more times in a row than he did during the fight with the Swedes.

I don't want to go back and rewatch the scene, but what I remember is that the Swede did something to create an orange glow on his chest; Five seemed to recognize it and either said or made an expression of "oh shit"; and then neither Five nor Diego could use their powers successfully.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

I'm pretty sure we've seen him use his powers way more times in a row than he did during the fight with the Swedes.

I don't want to go back and rewatch the scene, but what I remember is that the Swede did something to create an orange glow on his chest; Five seemed to recognize it and either said or made an expression of "oh shit"; and then neither Five nor Diego could use their powers successfully.

He also used it to get into and out of the closet. They’ve used the same effect when his power runs out in the past. He seems to be limited to 4 or 5 jumps. Diego was being choked from behind which affected his aim. I think it was just a plot contrivance to put Lila in a situation where she had to pick which one to help. 

18 hours ago, Dani said:

He also used it to get into and out of the closet. They’ve used the same effect when his power runs out in the past. He seems to be limited to 4 or 5 jumps. Diego was being choked from behind which affected his aim. I think it was just a plot contrivance to put Lila in a situation where she had to pick which one to help. 

This is the way I took the scene

I'm with everyone else on the love for this episode.  I think it was the best so far.

I love Kate Walsh as the Handler.  Everything about the role - the snark, the clothes, everything.  I really liked Kate Walsh when she first appeared on Grey's Anatomy because her role was similar - very strong, extremely confident, snarky.  When they spun her off to her own series they totally neutered the character and I couldn't watch it.  Love seeing her back in this type of role.

5 and his school boy uniform...  um, he's been wearing that thing for how long???  ew.  When does it get laundered?  Does he sleep in it?  Why does it seem it never gets ripped or dirty in any of his fights?  Does he have really odd tan lines between his socks and shorts? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I love the running gag of Luther shoveling enormous quantities of food down his huge gullet. I don't think he did that quite as much last season.

Also, is it me or does Luther's physique look more normal this season? Unless you see him from the back he doesn't look nearly as gargantuan as he did last season.

This seems like another "gag" or a nod to the comics. It's oddly absurd he'd still be wearing that thing.

Ordinarily I would complain about the endless, obligatory, overly choreographed and stylized fight scenes set to music in every single episode. They feel especially repetitive when you're binging this thing. But dammit, the show does them so well, and I love the music.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ordinarily I would complain about the endless, obligatory, overly choreographed and stylized fight scenes set to music in every single episode. They feel especially repetitive when you're binging this thing. But dammit, the show does them so well, and I love the music.

This.  1000x this.  I also am not a fan of Matrixesque fight scenes, but I do love what they do with the fight scenes.  And the cover of Billie Eilish's Bad Guy was amazing - I like it better than the original. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I love the running gag of Luther shoveling enormous quantities of food down his huge gullet. I don't think he did that quite as much last season.

I actually noticed there’s a lot of eating throughout the season. TV shows/movies are infamous for having people set out big meals and the run off and ignore them, or sit around and talk but not actually eat. A lot of this is likely due to actors not wanting to physically fill up during multiple takes of a scene. There’s also the sexist idea that it’s unladylike for a woman to eat (much). By contrast, TUA shows both men and women happily stuffing their faces during scenes. It’s a refreshing change!

• Love 4

Is there any reason that Klaus would not tell the others that Ben's ghost was  there? I know Ben and Klaus are not getting along, but that was a dick move.. 
Having a ghost helping you investigate things would be a huge benefit. ..but I suppose the characters can't make smart decisions  that would interfere with the plot. 

But the music is fun! (Tho the musical dance number in the hair salon felt like a weak attempt to repeat the much better one of season one.)

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 4
On 8/5/2020 at 10:44 PM, chaifan said:

This.  1000x this.  I also am not a fan of Matrixesque fight scenes, but I do love what they do with the fight scenes.  And the cover of Billie Eilish's Bad Guy was amazing - I like it better than the original. 

I wish I could like that post a million times.   The cover is by the interrupters,  a ska band from LA.  But their lead singer is a very talented woman named Aimee who I've been following for almost twenty years who started really underground,  got signed,  record collapsed and then spent fifteen years trying to make it again.  So I get over the moon when people like anything she does. (Not over the moon in a destroy it kind of way, just to be clear. )

• Love 4
On 8/5/2020 at 6:50 PM, iMonrey said:

He is definitely eating his feelings this year... but he still looked totally disgusted by Elliot's Jell-o concoction, which was hilarious.

I loved all the sibling bonding this episode... the highlight was obviously the beauty parlor scene (particularly the dancing, basically everything that came out of Klaus's mouth, and Vanya's confused reactions, including her "I dated a serial killer?"), but I loved Diego and Luther finally getting some non-antagonistic scenes, too. 

I would love Klaus more if he would stop being a complete dick to Ben.

Pogo's jammies for the win.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Is there any reason that Klaus would not tell the others that Ben's ghost was  there? i know Ben and Klaus are not getting along, but that was a dick move.. 

Klaus was relying on Ben to help him win the Poker Game, but instead Ben made him lose, get beat up and arrested. After that Klaus pretended Ben was "dead to him".😊

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Everything about this episode has already been covered except Ben saying "I missed you all"...break my freaking heart show 💔

I'm holding out hope the Ben will somehow be brought back to life one day. Maybe not alive but at least able to interact with hos siblings. I need more Ben

• Love 12
On 7/31/2020 at 8:49 PM, saoirse said:

She is divine. 

On 8/1/2020 at 6:57 PM, DearEvette said:

Holy cow the entire beauty shop scene was made of awesome.  From Klaus dropping truth bombs with finger curl pins in his hair to Vanya's face when she learned her ex was a serial killer. And all topped off with dancing to Sam Cooke.

The beauty shop scene was amazing. This show can be so dark and those moments of levity are important.

I do think the uniform thing is odd, but I will note that it probably isn't the worst thing he could wear. People assume he is a respectable kid in the uniform and it would blend in multiple timelines. 

On 8/2/2020 at 11:13 AM, festivus said:

I love Klaus and the line was so hilarious. I will say that despite being super unlucky in love, the siblings really are romantics. It's sort of sweet 

• Love 6
On 8/2/2020 at 8:20 AM, tennisgurl said:

So how is it that Reginald was a better father to baby Pogo than to any of his adopted kids? Was it the influence of human Grace that kept him from losing his empathy? 

I don't think what we've seen so far suggests he was. He seemed to treat Pogo very similarly to how he treated the kids. I think end-result Pogo must absolutely be a product of Grace's presence.

• Love 5

Seeing Pogo's origin story was cool. Very cute, if slightly obvious, CGI chimp.

I like Grace. Her warmth and heart were evident, even when she had no lines. I can see what Reginald saw in her, and what she saw in this caring version of Reginald.

I still don't really know what to make of Reginald. The complete cold detachment towards his children and the flashbacks that show he is capable of love and affection. Was he deliberately distancing himself from them? Emotionally damaged to the point he could no longer express how he felt? What has he been trying to achieve?

The scenes we are getting between the siblings this season are really great. Lots of bonding, lots of old, friendly dynamics on show. Allison and Klaus day-drinking together, Luther and Diego being non-antagonistic to each other (while still being antagonistic to Five). I really liked Vanya and Allison seeing each other again. And Vanya actually being relaxed and happy enough to sit around gossiping and drinking with her siblings (I guess amnesia is good for something). I can only imagine how much fun those three had, filming that scene in the salon.

"Unfortunately, ghosts can't time travel," was one of the best lines of the episode. Klaus is such a dick to Ben. Only beaten by "has anyone here done anything to screw up the timeline?" Because... yeah.

It seems like a lot of people online don't like Luther, but I really do. His obsession with Allison is annoying, but he's a big goof, played with so much charm by Tom Hopper. I mean, of course Luther went straight back home and tried to connect with Reginald. He's the only one who had that steadfast, unthinking loyalty.

At least now we know Luther's spiralling wasn't all about Allison, but about finally being forced to see what a dick dad was.

That melodramatic, Swedish version of Hello accompanying the Swedish brother's Viking funeral was great.

• Love 3
On 8/2/2020 at 8:53 AM, saoirse said:

...but then it's just one of things that does that with this show (pretty sure hippie communes weren't a big thing in Texas in the early 1960s, for example?  😉 ) that I can quickly ignore because I am just enjoying this ride!

The 60s started a long time before the 60s.
Walden II was a seminal work published in 1947, even though the "intentional community" didn't find land and set up until 1967.
Klaus' cult had moved to Texas from San Francisco, but had started there soon after Klaus arrived and was taken in by an elderly and very rich woman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walden_Two

• Love 1