Type keyword(s) to search

The Comic Book Series: The Umbrella Academy

• Start Topic

The place to discuss The Umbrella Academy graphic novels!

On one day in 1989, 43 infants are inexplicably born to random, unconnected women who showed no signs of pregnancy the day before. Seven are adopted by billionaire industrialist Sir Reginald Hargreeves, who creates the Umbrella Academy and prepares his "children" to save the world. In their teenage years, though, the family fractures and the team disbands. Fast forward to the present time, when the six surviving members of the clan reunite upon the news of Hargreeves' passing. They work together to solve a mystery surrounding their father's death, but divergent personalities and abilities again pull the estranged family apart, and a global apocalypse is another imminent threat. The series is based on a collection of comics and graphic novels created and written by Gerard Way and illustrated by Gabriel Bá.

I read the first volume after watching Season one, just reread it now and I'd forgotten just how different it is from the show. Now I'll be interested to read Dallas - volume 2 and see just how they wind up there since they're still in the present with the apocalypse avoided at the end of volume 1

I discovered season one in July, and then read all three comics from the library while waiting for season two to drop. I found them pretty odd and confusing, and I'm glad the series tends to go in different (and, IMO, better) directions. Though I am amused that it's usually Klaus saving the day in the comics... not so much in the series!

Despite the many differences, there are certainly similarities, too, so I'll be interested to see what else might creep in if (when!) there's a season 3. The third comic book ending does seem to mirror the end of the second season. And it might be cool if two of the siblings turned out to be twins, as it's revealed Luther and Five are in the comics.

• Love 1

Yeah the comics were much more confusing, jumping back and forth between plots. I like the comics but like the show more. I'd also love to see it turn out that Luther and Five are twins in the show too, could be even more interesting if Lila returns since Diego's now worried that they're biologically related.