Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: No Mushroom for Error

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, scrb said:

She could be hungry for the camera.  But that doesn't mean she will end up getting more airtime than she otherwise would have gotten.

She could poke her head in other people's scenes but the producers or Bravo can cut her out of the episode that they air.

What does taking the chief stew job on a TV show do for her?  Is she going to put it on her CV and that will get her more jobs?  People in the industry know that it's a TV show, where it's more of a role than an actual ship function, not reflective of whether she has the skills to do the job on real charter yachts.

Does Bravo pay her more for playing specific roles?  Maybe but their main concern is ratings.  How does her being chief stew bring more ratings to the show?

What does Chief stew bring ol’ Bugs?  Quite possibly the starring role for next season. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, scrb said:

She could be hungry for the camera.  But that doesn't mean she will end up getting more airtime than she otherwise would have gotten.

She could poke her head in other people's scenes but the producers or Bravo can cut her out of the episode that they air.

What does taking the chief stew job on a TV show do for her?  Is she going to put it on her CV and that will get her more jobs?  People in the industry know that it's a TV show, where it's more of a role than an actual ship function, not reflective of whether she has the skills to do the job on real charter yachts.

Does Bravo pay her more for playing specific roles?  Maybe but their main concern is ratings.  How does her being chief stew bring more ratings to the show?

Sandy moved to LA and has been on various t.v. shows,  I’m sorry, we can agree to disagree, but no other captain has involved themselves in the crew members lives like Sandy.  Captain Lee seems to enjoy the perks that come with the show, but he doesn’t hover and involve himself like Sandy.  But she truly lost me  with her Jaoa (sp.) worshipping which truly made my stomach churn.  

As for Bugs.  She’s on a reality show...for a second time.  She’s clearly interested in pursuing the Bravo paycheck.  The more seasons you’re on, the bigger the check. My guess is that Hannah was making more or was even with Sandy as far as Bravo pay.  Same with Kate and Captain Lee. 

I don’t mind Hannah, like others do.  I like Kate better, but I would take Hannah over Bugs.  I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they bring on a brand new chief stew next season.

• Love 13
(edited)
On 7/14/2020 at 8:07 PM, AttackTurtle said:

Sandy moved to LA and has been on various t.v. shows,  I

She’s been on a bunch of tv shows and is a total famewhore but she lives in Denver not LA and she moved because that is where her girlfriend is based.  

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

All the talk of table decor led me to do some research.

There are several websites dedicated to hiring employees, including job descriptions, had table and flower decor as a job requirement for Chief Stew.

There are all kind of how to pages from Chief Stews on decorating tables for meals.

It really is a big deal in the industry.  They have competitions, award prizes.

Which at first, I thought was silly.  But then I thought of what one of my all time favorite things about a cruise ship is:  Towel Animals.  There is nothing like coming into your room and seeing an adorable towel monkey hanging off your curtains. Not sure how I would feel about a rocket ship though.....Every cruise, I take a picture of every towel animal.  It's a small, silly thing, like table decor, but it really adds to the ambiance.  And I'm just as giddy over the animals as I am about the beautiful Caribbean islands I'm going too.

So.  In conclusion.....if the industry puts such value on tablescapes, maybe Ssndy does have a legit gripe that the Chief Stew isn't putting forth effort towards private yacht style tablescapes.

Edited by dosodog
  • Useful 8
  • Love 9
33 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

I noticed Bugs didn't do any crazy table settings this trip.

I noticed that, too. I just assumed she didn't have time because Jessica was injured. Jessica was a trooper, but she was moving a little slowly. 

I am sympathetic to Kiko's plight, but he may as well get used to it because a lot of people are vegan and gluten free these days. I was happy to see he broke out the spiralizer for zucchini noodles. People love veggie noodles. I don't know if butternut squash is available, you know how you scrape it with a fork to make noodles? Also, I'm a carnivore but I love good roasted veggies: cut in rather large pieces, olive oil, sea salt, cracked black pepper, spread out on a sheet pan so nothing is touching, roast 20 minutes, flip halfway. Asparagus, squash, sweet potatoes (just checked--- they're gluten free), eggplant, brussel sprouts, carrots, parsnips all come out yummy this way. I would have served everybody the same veg & just slapped a piece of meat on the side. I think it's making him crazy to have 2 completely separate menus & throwing off his timing. 

• Love 10
(edited)
On 7/14/2020 at 2:16 AM, Marley said:

Kiko was kind of annoying this episode. I feel like it shouldn’t be so hard for a professional chef to figure out vegan food.

Bugsy seems good at her job. Hannah seems extra bitchy.

I would be annoyed if dinner was that late. Kiko needs to figure it out.

This hits home for me about Kiko. I’ve worked in the service industry for 30 yrs. 10 yrs I was vegetarian and 6 vegan, while working at a high end golf resort. I got a hella lot of shit from the executive chef and his boyz. I never understood why, if you are a creative person, as “chefs” proclaim to be, you cannot phantom painting a canvas from a different color palette? That is essentially what vegan cooking is, and why I was into it. I wanted to test my abilities as a home cook to learn how to build a dish without animal protein. Make it flavorful without animal products. Why does that that put your panties in a wad? Fortunately, my brilliant husband came along and after working together for 8 months, we fell in love. He learned how to cook vegan. While his asshole bosses made fun of me. Then, low and behold, the owner of the resort (and other resorts) came on property, and gave them 36 hrs notice that she was now vegan. They scrambled. And they came running to me, begging for advice. I pointed them to my then (unbeknownst to them) boyfriend. He totally understands “vegan”, and will make multiple menu items for any meal occasion without a sweat. And now I am celiac, so he know his gluten free options as well. 
TL; DR: I get bored with “chefs” who can’t improvise when thrown a culinary curve ball. You are a service professional, no? 

Edited by Heymeejeel
Auto fill is the devil.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
(edited)
19 hours ago, dleighg said:

I have to agree with the guest that "juice in Europe is gross." Whatever they call OJ (in a bottle) is something.... else. Why aren't the stews squeezing fresh oranges for goodness sake. Hannah just handed him a bottle.

Also, while I feel that "instagramming" your vacation is really stupid, those guests did look good. They know how to do it LOL.

Interesting about the European OJ. I didn't know that. How is it gross? Also, I thought they were squeezing fresh oranges--- I've been binge watching, maybe I'm getting my seasons mixed up? What I didn't understand was they were--- at least on times in past---- squeezing fresh juice for each drink. Why not squeeze a whole batch to last the whole day?

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

Interesting about the European OJ. I didn't know that. How is it gross? Also, I thought they were squeezing fresh oranges--- I've been binge watching, maybe I'm getting my seasons mixed up? What I didn't understand was they were--- at least on times in past---- squeezing fresh juice for each drink. Why not squeeze a whole batch to last the whole day?

Yes, they seem "gross". Why ? Because we don't add a shitload of sugar and artificial flavors, etc. like in the USA 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Diane Mars said:

Yes, they seem "gross". Why ? Because we don't add a shitload of sugar and artificial flavors, etc. like in the USA

Sorry to disagree. If you order "orange juice" in Europe at breakfast, say,  it is often an "orange juice drink". While I've never seen the ingredient list, to my palate it is diluted and sweetened. The stuff we buy in cartons in the US absolutely does not have sugar added, unless it is a "juice drink." 

Here is Minute Maid orange juice (this one's from concentrate). Where are the sugar and artificial flavors you're talking about? https://www.minutemaid.com/products/orange-juice/premium-original-orange-juice/

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
7 hours ago, dosodog said:

................. I thought of what one of my all time favorite things about a cruise ship is:  Towel Animals.  There is nothing like coming into your room and seeing an adorable towel monkey hanging off your curtains. ..............

Speaking of towel animals on cruise ships......we once had a LIFE SIZE towel man on our bed created by our cabin attendant. The towel man was wearing hubby's sunglasses and reading the Cruise Compass daily planner. Hubby and I were stunned when we walked into the room and saw this. Our cabin attendant did let us know before hand that he is known for doing some crazy towel animals and he enjoys doing them.

Apologize for going off topic.

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Also, I thought they were squeezing fresh oranges---

they may have been squeezing oranges for various purposes, but in that one scene where the guest asked for the cranberry and orange juice "on the side" of his vodka, Hannah definitely handed him a little glass (commercial) bottle.

ETA this shows the cranberry juice (which came out of an ocean spray bottle in the galley) and the OJ

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 7.56.36 AM.png

Edited by dleighg
  • Useful 3
25 minutes ago, dleighg said:

they may have been squeezing oranges for various purposes, but in that one scene where the guest asked for the cranberry and orange juice "on the side" of his vodka, Hannah definitely handed him a little glass (commercial) bottle.

ETA this shows the cranberry juice (which came out of an ocean spray bottle in the galley) and the OJ

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 7.56.36 AM.png

It was funny because they showed this, and I swear it was VERY shortly thereafter (but unrelated) that they showed Jess fresh squeezing oranges. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, CaliforniaLove said:

I swear it was VERY shortly thereafter (but unrelated) that they showed Jess fresh squeezing oranges. 

you're correct. In fact while Hannah was grabbing that stupid bottle, Jess WAS squeezing oranges. Five star luxury?????

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, dleighg said:

if the starter for most guests is tomato with burrata, why is Kiko thinking of doing mushrooms (AGAIN) for the vegan? I would prefer to have something similar to the other guests-- just give him the tomato with herbs, or a sprinkle of vegan cheese, or SOMETHING. He's making more trouble for himself (plus honestly I'd get sick of mushrooms, even though he keeps asking for them-- maybe he's afraid that's the only good vegan thing Kiko knows how to make)

I was surprised also that everything Kiko made for the vegan and gluten-free guests was completely different than what the rest of the guests received. In the past, I believe previous chefs on the show would serve something as close as possible to the main meal, but without the gluten or meat. The zucchini spaghetti pomodoro could have been served while everyone else was served a similar pasta dish. As someone else mentioned, portobello mushrooms can easily be for any of the proteins like the fish. Kiko seems to be making his life harder than it has to be.

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

So I guess on a yacht if you are a second stew and you are out of lemons. You are not allowed to ask if the chief stew, who orders provisions if she did indeed order lemons?

You are allowed to question and belittle your chief stew in your talking heads.

It was little much when Bugsy tattled to Sandy that Hannah wanted to have sex with the vegetables and that she emailed the zucchini’s with the ship’s I-Pad. 

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I am straight up out of sympathy for a trained chef who can't adopt to a vegan/vegetarian menu, especially when they're not asked to bake a cake.  I'm self-trained and can make a meatless ettouffe, "shrimp" creole, "crab" and corn bisque, and a handful of other cajun/creole foods (not with that weird fish sub for crab).  Maybe it involves a bit more creative provisioning in the Med, but on land, it's stupid easy.  But really, if they can get a mariachi band on demand, they can get tofu or paneer.

I have no idea what causes Hannah to get tossed (if that is the case), but Bugsy bugs....she's like a Disney employee.  Super fakey fake.  Worse that Amy's Texas pageant girl, worse that Aesha's gleeful up-beat-ness.  If she's the one who tosses Hannah over the side, it will be difficult to continue to watch.  Hannah isn't the best, but she's better than a lot, including Sandy, whose only redeeming quality is backing a boat  in to a tiny slip.  It sure isn't being egalatarian. 

• Love 18
(edited)
8 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

So I guess on a yacht if you are a second stew and you are out of lemons. You are not allowed to ask if the chief stew, who orders provisions if she did indeed order lemons?

But that’s not what she did. She asked the chef who had already discussed the issue with Hannah in a snotty tone if Hannah had forgotten to order them and than Hannah walked into that conversation.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Jsage said:

I was surprised also that everything Kiko made for the vegan and gluten-free guests was completely different than what the rest of the guests received. In the past, I believe previous chefs on the show would serve something as close as possible to the main meal, but without the gluten or meat. The zucchini spaghetti pomodoro could have been served while everyone else was served a similar pasta dish. As someone else mentioned, portobello mushrooms can easily be for any of the proteins like the fish. Kiko seems to be making his life harder than it has to be.

I did think it was interesting that Kiko had not tried to make anything with tofu.  Also, Mediterranean food is loaded with veggies that can be seasoned with zatar and other herbs that would be okay for a vegan.  Did Kiko not even try with the internet to find recipes? He could make a cauliflower crust flat bread with vegan cheese, lots of options.

Maybe he could not make mookaka (sp?) for just one charter, no?   

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Lizzing said:

Hannah isn't the best, but she's better than a lot, including Sandy, whose only redeeming quality is backing a boat  in to a tiny slip.  It sure isn't being egalatarian. 

I am quoting this because I cannot stand Sandy, but also because I love your name.

Most things were covered, but my favorite line came from Jess this week: "I got boobs and I was on a charter next week." Loved it!

• Love 6
On 7/14/2020 at 5:18 AM, dleighg said:

I have to agree with the guest that "juice in Europe is gross." Whatever they call OJ (in a bottle) is something.... else. Why aren't the stews squeezing fresh oranges for goodness sake. Hannah just handed him a bottle.

Also, while I feel that "instagramming" your vacation is really stupid, those guests did look good. They know how to do it LOL.

They have all kinds of juices, not from concentrate, at the stores, including many without any kind of sugar added, unlike in the US.

They have various kinds of raw smoothies as well.

What they haven't really pushed as much are "organic" products but that's probably changing.

They have juicing machines like we do.  Some hotels will serve buffet breakfast and there are boxes of fresh oranges that you can feed into the juicer.  In Italy, they have red orange juice.

• Useful 3
On 7/15/2020 at 9:26 AM, Jsage said:

I am simply a vegetarian, but chef’s still lose their minds. I was in a wedding, and while everyone else received a yummy starter, I was given a chintzy salad with the most bitter greens I’ve ever tasted, with one cherry tomato and some carrot shavings. Of course even veggie soups have to have beef or chicken broth.  Next course included a beautiful baked potato - for everyone except the vegetarian. 🤷‍♀️

Culinary schools need to revise their agendas. 

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, AryasMum said:

I am simply a vegetarian, but chef’s still lose their minds. I was in a wedding, and while everyone else received a yummy starter, I was given a chintzy salad with the most bitter greens I’ve ever tasted, with one cherry tomato and some carrot shavings. Of course even veggie soups have to have beef or chicken broth.  Next course included a beautiful baked potato - for everyone except the vegetarian. 🤷‍♀️

Culinary schools need to revise their agendas. 

This was a fairly long time ago when you used to make your meal requests for flights when you bought your ticket and since I was a vegetarian my mom always made sure to order a vegetarian meal for me and on one flight one of the legs was in the morning and the breakfast vegetarian meal was literally a crudités platter with dip and some cheese while everyone else got cereal, yogurt and fruit! I wondered aloud if they thought that vegetarians only ate vegetables. 

I find it very strange that any private chef who doesn’t have control over the clients doesn’t have several vegan/vegetarian meals in their repertoire and gluten free substitutions at the ready and Kiko’s whining about it diminished him a bit in my eyes. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
(edited)

I recently went to my cousins wedding that a whole gluten free section at the cocktail hour. The peppers and mushrooms and baked cauliflower and cheese selections were so good that everyone was hitting it.

Its all in the preparation and having the materials on hand. If I gave a preference sheet I would actually list the brand names that I know are available in Europe. If they can special order tequila they can special order gluten free pasta. 

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

Is it me or was this a particularly boring episode? I had taped it and was looking forward to the show after a long couple of days. By the end I was, "That was it?" It's hard to put a finger on what was missing but ..... what was missing?

Kiko needs several vegan and vegetarian ideas in his repertoire and I don't understand why he doesn't have them ready to draw upon. When I heard vegan my mind immediately went to a couscous salad that is my potluck "go-to" because it's vegan. I can make a killer polenta gratin with mushrooms, zucchini, and red peppers that no one can believe is vegetarian and with a few tweaks would be vegan. It's better suited to cold weather in my opinion but it's delicious and much is make ahead, saving Kiko the trouble of time management issues. I have never worked in a professional kitchen so I know a professional chef can do it!!
I get that serving only vegan for several meals can be difficult for the chef who plans his/her meals around the protein, but c'mon!! Start with a starch for your base, make a killer sauce, and bring the best out of your vegetables.
Oh well, tomorrow is another day and three more meals.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/14/2020 at 10:07 PM, NowVoyager said:

I am sympathetic to Kiko's plight, but he may as well get used to it because a lot of people are vegan and gluten free these days. I was happy to see he broke out the spiralizer for zucchini noodles. People love veggie noodles. I don't know if butternut squash is available, you know how you scrape it with a fork to make noodles? Also, I'm a carnivore but I love good roasted veggies: cut in rather large pieces, olive oil, sea salt, cracked black pepper, spread out on a sheet pan so nothing is touching, roast 20 minutes, flip halfway. Asparagus, squash, sweet potatoes (just checked--- they're gluten free), eggplant, brussel sprouts, carrots, parsnips all come out yummy this way. I would have served everybody the same veg & just slapped a piece of meat on the side. I think it's making him crazy to have 2 completely separate menus & throwing off his timing. 

On 7/14/2020 at 11:30 PM, Heymeejeel said:

This hits home for me about Kiko. I’ve worked in the service industry for 30 yrs. 10 yrs I was vegetarian and 6 vegan, while working at a high end golf resort. I got a hella lot of shit from the executive chef and his boyz. I never understood why, if you are a creative person, as “chefs” proclaim to be, you cannot phantom painting a canvas from a different color palette? That is essentially what vegan cooking is, and why I was into it. I wanted to test my abilities as a home cook to learn how to build a dish without animal protein. Make it flavorful without animal products. Why does that that put your panties in a wad? Fortunately, my brilliant husband came along and after working together for 8 months, we fell in love. He learned how to cook vegan. While his asshole bosses made fun of me. Then, low and behold, the owner of the resort (and other resorts) came on property, and gave them 36 hrs notice that she was now vegan. They scrambled. And they came running to me, begging for advice. I pointed them to my then (unbeknownst to them) boyfriend. He totally understands “vegan”, and will make multiple menu items for any meal occasion without a sweat. And now I am celiac, so he know his gluten free options as well. 
TL; DR: I get bored with “chefs” who can’t improvise when thrown a culinary curve ball. You are a service professional, no? 

I'm an omnivore and complete amateur cook but I like to eat and I'm reasonably aware of what professional cooks are doing on an everyday basis, knowledge-wise. Kiko seemed ridiculous to me. Jeebus, has he never thought about the massive swaths of cuisine that rely heavily on the use of nuts, olives, legumes, coconut milk, and a multitude of grains? Fine, maybe the provisioners there don't have frickin' amaranth or almond flour but SERVING A DINNER OF SOGGY BUTTON MUSHROOMS IN A WAD OF TIN-FOIL?! Did he really not think of "fresh guac, salsa, and corn tortillas" for the vegan guest at lunch?

Ok, I'm putting on my Micro-Managing Captain's Hat and standing in the galley doorway, offering helpful "suggestions":

• Make a frakkin' sofrito, add some delicious dried heirloom beans, serve it soupy with a vegan rouille made with agua faba, roasted red peppers, and garlic; drizzle with an herby pistou.
  • Throw warm, crunchy-cornered cornbread at them with some hot honey.
  • Quick-pickle some carrots, cucumbers, cauliflower.
  • Grill radicchio, serve with caramelized red onions, drizzle with balsamic.
  • Speaking of corn: Cook top-quality polenta, beat it hard with basil, garlic, and oil; top with a ratatouille-like concoction, plus olives.
  • Do a frito misto using rice flour. Fry up artichoke hearts, onion rings, lemon slices, green beans.
  • Salt-and-pepper tofu.
  • Aloo baingan: a simple curry made with potatoes, eggplant, and tomatoes.
  • Any of about a gajillion curries made with coconut milk, aromatics, vegetables, potatoes.

Also: It's not just Kiko - a lot of these "chefs" don't seem to care about creating a menu. They throw a bunch of random items together during a single meal but that's not menu-planning. If I were paying for a private yacht, I'd care a hell of a lot more about well-designed menus than a bunch of cheap schlock cluttering up the table.

ETA: FFS, Kiko - moqueca is supposed to be your thing and pivoting to use what you can (versus following an unchangeable recipe) is what cooking is all about.

Edited by heavysnaxx
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, heavysnaxx said:

I'm an omnivore and complete amateur cook but I like to eat and I'm reasonably aware of what professional cooks are doing on an everyday basis, knowledge-wise. Kiko seemed ridiculous to me. Jeebus, has he never thought about the massive swaths of cuisine that rely heavily on the use of nuts, olives, legumes, coconut milk, and a multitude of grains? Fine, maybe the provisioners there don't have frickin' amaranth or almond flour but SERVING A DINNER OF SOGGY BUTTON MUSHROOMS IN A WAD OF TIN-FOIL?! Did he really not think of "fresh guac, salsa, and corn tortillas" for the vegan guest at lunch?

Ok, I'm putting on my Micro-Managing Captain's Hat and standing in the galley doorway, offering helpful "suggestions":

• Make a frakkin' sofrito, add some delicious dried heirloom beans, serve it soupy with a vegan rouille made with agua faba, roasted red peppers, and garlic; drizzle with an herby pistou.
  • Speaking of corn: Cook top-quality polenta, beat it hard with basil, garlic, and oil; top with a ratatouille-like concoction, plus olives.
  • Do a frito misto using rice flour. Fry up artichoke hearts, onion rings, lemon slices, green beans.
  • Salt-and-pepper tofu.
  • Any of about a gajillion curries made with coconut milk, aromatics, vegetables, potatoes.

Also: It's not just Kiko - a lot of these "chefs" don't seem to care about creating a menu. They throw a bunch of random items together during a single meal but that's not menu-planning. If I were paying for a private yacht, I'd care a hell of a lot more about well-designed menus than a bunch of cheap schlock cluttering up the table.

You are hired!

Sandy will find fault somehow with something, just be prepared! LOL.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

I guess Kiko would have to watch out for bread products that had any egg or dairy in them but a lot of vegetarian/vegan food is gluten free as well. I’m assuming he has internet access, he could look for something based on his ingredients he has. 
I was a vegetarian for 20 Years and the menu choices were sides, salads or a grilled cheese and maybe a pasta, all of which can be made at home easily. It wasn’t worth going out to eat even. 
Hopefully next episode he knocks It out of the park 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, biakbiak said:

This was a fairly long time ago when you used to make your meal requests for flights when you bought your ticket and since I was a vegetarian my mom always made sure to order a vegetarian meal for me and on one flight one of the legs was in the morning and the breakfast vegetarian meal was literally a crudités platter with dip and some cheese while everyone else got cereal, yogurt and fruit! I wondered aloud if they thought that vegetarians only ate vegetables. 

I find it very strange that any private chef who doesn’t have control over the clients doesn’t have several vegan/vegetarian meals in their repertoire and gluten free substitutions at the ready and Kiko’s whining about it diminished him a bit in my eyes. 

I wonder if Kiko has little experience outside of Brazil. I have a cousin whose wife is Brazilian, and one of their favorite restaurants is authentic Brazilian food. After being reassured that there were plenty of vegetarian options, I agreed to go for a family celebration. I almost starved to death. It was the most minimalist salad bar I’ve ever seen, and then white rice, which I do not care for.  There were no beans, or any other veggie protein offered. Everyone else had plates loaded up with pounds of meat.  The mashed potatoes were so flavorless, that my veggie cousin poured Italian dressing over them - which was the only thing I can say was delicious. 

I will never return, even though it was a friendly, laid back atmosphere.  I don’t mean to slam the place, because they are providing exactly what their regulars, a large percentage Brazilian, want. It’s just not for me.  However, vegetarians and vegans chartering a luxury yacht are another story.  Culinary schools are deficient in food that is not meat or seafood based. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I recently went to my cousins wedding that a whole gluten free section at the cocktail hour. The peppers and mushrooms and baked cauliflower and cheese selections were so good that everyone was hitting it.

Its all in the preparation and having the materials on hand. If I gave a preference sheet I would actually list the brand names that I know are available in Europe. If they can special order tequila they can special order gluten free pasta. 

Yes, I have a great deal of experience with people who protest strongly over a specialized diet, then flock to eat it all before the vegetarians, etc, get a single serving.  Hopefully the caterer anticipated this, because people with no food restrictions often have no problem leaving others with nothing to eat, in my experience. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, AryasMum said:

Yes, I have a great deal of experience with people who protest strongly over a specialized diet, then flock to eat it all before the vegetarians, etc, get a single serving.  Hopefully the caterer anticipated this, because people with no food restrictions often have no problem leaving others with nothing to eat, in my experience. 

Actually there was plenty because I think they were experienced in this kind of thing. It is very true that when offered a delicious and healthy alternate many people will jump on it.

The roasted garlic cauliflower was to die for.

• Love 3
On 7/16/2020 at 5:55 PM, heavysnaxx said:

I'm putting on my Micro-Managing Captain's Hat and standing in the galley doorway, offering helpful "suggestions":

• Salt-and-pepper tofu.

Ok I’m like an 8-year-old when it comes to eating veg, but these all look delicious 😋

Kiko is a very talented Chef with a good, positive attitude.  I hope he sees how he comes off and seeks an opportunity to learn to cater to people with special dietary needs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 7/16/2020 at 2:55 PM, heavysnaxx said:

If I were paying for a private yacht, I'd care a hell of a lot more about well-designed menus than a bunch of cheap schlock cluttering up the table.

Have they ever told us how long in advance the chef sees these food "preference sheets" ??

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Kayz Opinion said:

Punish an entire crew for glitches in the kitchen?

Yes. Especially if you never leave the dock.

29 minutes ago, Kayz Opinion said:

Have they ever told us how long in advance the chef sees these food "preference sheets" ??

i would insist on micromanaging the menus as the food and a more than 50% of the reason for being on the yacht for me.

I hate water sports.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Kayz Opinion said:

No.  The way they show it you'd think it was only an hour or two which wouldn't be enough time, but it also doesn't have to be more than a day in most cases.  A chef should be able to make a menu and requirement list within a few hours then send it off to the provisioning company.  Provisioning companies can get most requests in less than a day - 2 or 3 if it's something crazy.

Plenty of great chefs wouldn't be cut out for yacht work and plenty of average chefs would excel at it.  Being able to design a menu with little time is a different skill set.

48 minutes ago, Kayz Opinion said:

Punish an entire crew for glitches in the kitchen?

Absolutely.  Same way the tip takes a hit if you never leave the dock, if the water toys are broken, if rooms aren't clean, if the captain isn't taking steps to resolve issues immediately, etc.  As long as the tip is shared equally, you're going to be punishing everyone.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

Absolutely.  Same way the tip takes a hit if you never leave the dock, if the water toys are broken, if rooms aren't clean, if the captain isn't taking steps to resolve issues immediately, etc.  As long as the tip is shared equally, you're going to be punishing everyone.

I agree with all this except I think Sandy hurts the tip every time by creating issues, rather than resolving them. I would get pretty damn annoyed if I were interrupted during every single meal and interrogated about the tablescape, the food, the service, etc. Most minor issues would go unnoticed by the guests if Sandy didn't stand there waiting, as if she expects them to go around the table and each give a complaint.

• Love 23
28 minutes ago, Jsage said:

I agree with all this except I think Sandy hurts the tip every time by creating issues, rather than resolving them. I would get pretty damn annoyed if I were interrupted during every single meal and interrogated about the tablescape, the food, the service, etc. Most minor issues would go unnoticed by the guests if Sandy didn't stand there waiting, as if she expects them to go around the table and each give a complaint.

100%!

• Love 8

Haven't watched much of this season but they clearly are trying to turn things around after last season's disaster. Competent female bosun, pleasant Alex and Rob, a cheerful chef, and Hannah clearly on her scripted way out. Too bad we have to see desperate Sandy, ambitious Bugs and Pete the Tool.

• Love 4
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 9:57 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Definitely. A rib eye is gluten free and delicious.

The steer ate gluten. I clutch my pearls when someone wants their steak well done. What the hell, why do that to delicious steak? Medium rare for me, but I'd rather have rare than well done.  I love a rib eye, and also standing rib.

• Love 1
On 7/14/2020 at 12:20 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Because I am the cook so I prepare the meals. She will chime in but I usually compose the dish.

Jesus Christ. Do you approve her outfits as well? 

• Love 3
On 7/18/2020 at 3:54 PM, Jsage said:

Seriously!  Imagine sitting down to a beautiful meal and Hi how’s it going how’s the food any problems isn’t the tablescape WONDERFUL!  ugh just let them enjoy their dinner in peace.

• Love 5