Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: No Mushroom for Error

• Start Topic

An injured Jess fights to maintain her spot on the boat, while another crew member’s inappropriate behavior finally catches up to him. Meanwhile, high-maintenance charter guests challenge the interior and expose cracks in Hannah and Bugsy’s relationship. And after surviving a 72-plate dinner last charter, Kiko is faced with something equally challenging and he’s once again put to the test.

Airs July 13, 2020.

• Love 2

Pete continues to prove what we already know about him. He's a pervert who thinks it's cute to disrespect women. To think some poor soul had a child with him.

So Sandy wanted Hannah to replace Jess because she broke her finger? I'm so glad that Hannah decided to keep Jess on and work around her injury.  She did get hurt doing her job Sandy. 

Great job throwing both Hannah and Kiko under the bus Bugsy. Kiko didn't mind sharing his lemons and he was running late because he was waiting on last minute provisions. The only thing I agreed with Bugsy on was her talking to both Malia and Sandy about Pete. 

These charter guests seem to be royal pains who enjoy annoying other people.

• Love 22
(edited)

Bummer with Jess’ finger.  She really is being a trooper about it.

Surprising how the vegan thing really rattled Kiko. He really is a unicorn.

Good on Bugs for going to Sandy.   She really can’t fire Pete already down half a stew, but she should be putting out the call for a replacement for the next charter. 

Then Malia dumps all over him and demotes him.  Hahaha  He really needs to shut the hell up.  We'll see how long "Professional Pete" lasts.

Juice man is going to be a problem.  His friends, too.

I’m sorry, I don’t want some stranger unpacking my luggage.  It’s not that big of an effort.

Micromanager Sandy, doing her tiresome act yet again.

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 21

I was impressed by Malia’s handling of Pete. Sandy should have had her there when she was having her discussion with him since Malia is his direct supervisor.

While I think it’s ridiculous to have someone else unpack your suitcase (especially for a 1?2? night charter), Jess pouting about it made me roll my eyes. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
(edited)

I never have Bugsy on my boat.

Drama follows everywhere she goes and she loves to get other people in trouble from Hannah, Kiko and the dummy Pete. Now it looks like she gets into it with Jess.

She is just not worth it.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 20

Kiko was kind of annoying this episode. I feel like it shouldn’t be so hard for a professional chef to figure out vegan food.

Bugsy seems good at her job. Hannah seems extra bitchy.

I would be annoyed if dinner was that late. Kiko needs to figure it out.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I never have Bugsy on my boat.

Drama follows everywhere she goes and she loves to get other people in trouble from Hannah, Kiko and the dummy Pete. Now it looks like she gets into it with Jess.

She is just not worth it.

I can’t believe Bravo brought her back! Never seen such a manipulator! Blah!

• Love 18
28 minutes ago, Marley said:

She handled the situation with Pete well.  She didn't blow it up with Pete and she conveyed what Pete said without using his crude language so Sandy knew how bad it was.

Then she accepted his apology and didn't try to escalate or cause any more problem.  She was civil with him, didn't try to raise the drama.

Does she not know she's on a Bravo TV show?

Yes she's gunning for Hanna's job, like expressing disbelief that Hanna didn't order lemons.  But what exactly does she have to gain?  She's not going to be paid more, unless she lasts several seasons as chief stew on BDM like Hanna has.

Or maybe she just wants to be in charge but she merits being in charge, knows what needs to be done, works well with inexperienced stews and seems to approach the job with more enthusiasm than Hanna.

• Love 14
(edited)

I have to agree with the guest that "juice in Europe is gross." Whatever they call OJ (in a bottle) is something.... else. Why aren't the stews squeezing fresh oranges for goodness sake. Hannah just handed him a bottle.

Also, while I feel that "instagramming" your vacation is really stupid, those guests did look good. They know how to do it LOL.

Edited by dleighg
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

I felt bad for the vegan guest at lunch.  Bugsy kept bringing up plates for the carnivores, and then - oh, here's a grain salad for you.  What, you want more than that?  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 9

Bugsy said that is Hannah’s responsibility to order extra lemons for the interior use at the bar. She acted like she couldn’t believe it that Hannah didn’t order them when she did. Kiko was willing to share his so it was no big deal. Just Bugsy trying to portray Hannah as incompetent.

The disillusionment with Hannah that so many people feel is a shield for Bugsy and stops people from realizing how horrible Bugsy really is.

• Love 18
11 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Does Sandy hide in the cabinet, waiting to pop out and interfere?  Who’s driving the damn boat??

Ha!  This made me bust out laughing!  I actually don't imagine Sandy does that during her non-Bravo charters.  I'm sure the producers either suggest it or go and grab her and ask her to bomb the dinner table or something for drama.  

I do think she handled Pete exactly right, although Malia should have been there.  Frankly, Sandy should be the last course of action so Malia should have handled this one on her own, instead of sending Bugsy to the captain.  

Pete is a douche but I really do hope this teaches him a lesson and he gets his ass in line.  

I must be one of the few who doesn't mind Bugsy at work (drunk Bugsy is another story).  She is good at what she does, she doesn't seem to get frazzled and as easily annoyed as Hannah does, and she seems to know exactly how to defuse or take care of a guest situation, whether it be with Kiko or Jess.  So I have no issues with her.  

I felt bad for Jess.  Ouch.  That must have hurt.  And then to have Hannah acting all bitchy, like somehow Jess did this on purpose and now it's going to really upset Hannah's schedule and (gasp!) she might actually have to do (extra) work!  Bugsy didn't complain at all.  (Hopefully that won't change in upcoming episodes.)

I'm pleased to see that Alex appears to be a hard worker, as does Rob (so far.)  

Has there ever been a chef that didn't bitch and moan over vegans?  (Maybe Adrian?)  I could just imagine Ben on this charter - - he'd be throwing pots and pans and screaming in between his hysterical laughter.  I did laugh at Kiko's "who wants to be a vegan?" (paraphrasing).  He is funny.  His food generally looks delish -- he needs to get out of his own head.  And frankly, Hannah, Bugsy and Jess should be encouraging him as much as possible.  I could never handle being a solo chef for a charter yacht -- especially one where the guests bring back something like 6 extra people.  And then leave a stingy tip.  

Beautiful background scenery though.  

• Love 14

I like the way that Kiko has Hannah’s back and warned her about Bugsy trying to stab her in the back.

This must be the best relationship Hannah has ever had with a chef. In fact it is the best relationship between a chef and Chief stew in Below Deck history.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, TexasGal said:

I felt bad for the vegan guest at lunch.  Bugsy kept bringing up plates for the carnivores, and then - oh, here's a grain salad for you.  What, you want more than that?  

I eat a plant-based diet, and this type of reaction is very common.  "You're fine with salad only, right?"  And if you live in the South, you often can't eat the veggies that might be available because they're cooked with meat.  

The thing is, we KNOW they get the preference sheets more than an hour or two before the guests arrive.  So it's not like Kiko didn't have time to Google a recipe or two. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)

It is very true that Kiko should have been better prepared for the vegan. Since the guy loves mushrooms I would have prepared some big Portabello mushrooms in garlic and oil or grilled. He should have stocked up on some gluten free pasta preferably brown rice pasta which holds its shape. Then it is a matter of adding something like vegetables or perhaps shrimps or even fresh clam sauce. There are many alternatives he just had to be prepared instead of complaining. 

My wife has to be gluten free and when we go out it is a big problem. What I do is discuss with the waiter and actually plan out the dish and the chef is almost always happy to prepare it. You run in to trouble when you leave him to his own devices. But if they have the basics it is easy to compose a dish that is both delicious and gluten free.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, dosodog said:

Alex and Rob are still adorable and hot!  Keep up the good work gentlemen.

Alex is like the ideal guy IMO.  He’s adorable, nice, funny, and just a big bear of a dude.  Guys like that give the best hugs 🤗 

• Love 22
(edited)
14 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Pete is a scary misogynistic piece of crap.  Equally scary is that he got cast for this exact reason.

Poor Kiko but I would think that he’d have some experience with.  vegan clients by now.  No wonder they were still hungry since all they were eating was mushrooms.

Does Sandy hide in the cabinet, waiting to pop out and interfere?  Who’s driving the damn boat??

*gasp* but the tablescapes! Think of the award-winning tablescapes!

Let's face it Pete only landed in hot water because he proved that not only is he misogynistic he's also a flaming racist. He made the Bravo editors' jobs easy this season.

Poor Kiko was over this charter before it began.  Not only did he have to cook vegan, he had to cook gluten free as well.  I will say I love his friendship with Hannah. As of now she's his biggest cheerleader. It must be difficult to cook something you're unfamiliar with while the queen of table decor and the queen of micromanaging look over your shoulder making stupid comments. 

Edited by spunky
  • Love 17
(edited)

Malia has the best leadership skills of anyone in any season of Below Deck or Below Deck Med.

Yes, this includes Captain Lee. 

Of course she still has time to fuck it up in the usual ways (see Eddie Lucas, Ashton Pienaar, and later-season Kate Chastain for examples).

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

Alex is like the ideal guy IMO.  He’s adorable, nice, funny, and just a big bear of a dude.  Guys like that give the best hugs 🤗 

Which is why he is not going to get any action. See Colin from last year.

It’s the assholes and drugged out zombies who get the ladies.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

This is my first time seeing Bugsy I didn’t watch the show before when she was on so I don’t get all the hate for her. All she did was ask about lemons and if Hannah ordered them. Not like she was screaming about missing lemons. Kiko was a little gossip bitch telling Hannah about the lemon comment like who cares. Get your shit together Kiko you’re a professional chef make the vegan something other then mushrooms. Dinner was like over an hour late and was barely anything I would be mad and not even want to tip much if the chef can’t get a proper dinner on the table by 11 aclock.

I never minded Hannah that much but she just seems extra bitchy and over it this season. She was mad at Bugsy’s over enthusiasm it’s like maybe if you cared even a bit you wouldn’t mind so much.

Bugsy is such a stupid name lol I don’t know why anyone would choose to be called that.

Sandy gets more annoying with each episode. Go away lol.

The main meal was fish on like the smallest amount of purple potatoes. I would not be satisfied with that lol.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Pete is a scary misogynistic piece of crap.  Equally scary is that he got cast for this exact reason.

31 minutes ago, spunky said:

Let's face it Pete only landed in hot water because he proved that not only is he misogynistic he's also a flaming racist. He made the Bravo editors' jobs easy this season.

Yeah they probably relished the prospect of the women going out of their minds about Pete all season.

But he's usually backed down from confrontations.  When he has been reprimanded, dressed down, demoted, he didn't react with a lot of drama.

That may be fatal if you want to be on Bravo.

• Love 3

Reminder:

If it didn't happen in this episode, or a previous one, it is a spoiler and needs to be spoiler-tagged.  Keep your comments to what happened in the episode, y'all.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, scrb said:

Yeah they probably relished the prospect of the women going out of their minds about Pete all season.

But he's usually backed down from confrontations.  When he has been reprimanded, dressed down, demoted, he didn't react with a lot of drama.

That may be fatal if you want to be on Bravo.

So true 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Poor Kiko but I would think that he’d have some experience with.  vegan clients by now.  No wonder they were still hungry since all they were eating was mushrooms.

I have no idea about vegan diets, but would they need LARGER portions to satisfy their hunger?

(edited)
2 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

It is very true that Kiko should have been better prepared for the vegan. Since the guy loves mushrooms I would have prepared some big Portabello mushrooms in garlic and oil or grilled. He should have stocked up on some gluten free pasta preferably brown rice pasta which holds its shape. Then it is a matter of adding something like vegetables or perhaps shrimps or even fresh clam sauce. There are many alternatives he just had to be prepared instead of complaining. 

Maybe this is his first experience on a yacht (not in a restaurant with more supplies and staff) with vegan cooking.  He will be more prepared next time....and grow with experience.  Also, no one expects to use the complete supply of mushrooms ... and then need them again for a "special request."  Charter Guests, remember there's not much storage space. 

Edited by Kayz Opinion
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

My wife has to be gluten free and when we go out it is a big problem. What I do is discuss with the waiter and actually plan out the dish and the chef is almost always happy to prepare it.

Why doesn't your wife discuss her requirements with the waiter?

• Love 20

if the starter for most guests is tomato with burrata, why is Kiko thinking of doing mushrooms (AGAIN) for the vegan? I would prefer to have something similar to the other guests-- just give him the tomato with herbs, or a sprinkle of vegan cheese, or SOMETHING. He's making more trouble for himself (plus honestly I'd get sick of mushrooms, even though he keeps asking for them-- maybe he's afraid that's the only good vegan thing Kiko knows how to make)

• Love 6
5 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Bugsy said that is Hannah’s responsibility to order extra lemons for the interior use at the bar. She acted like she couldn’t believe it that Hannah didn’t order them when she did. Kiko was willing to share his so it was no big deal. Just Bugsy trying to portray Hannah as incompetent.

The disillusionment with Hannah that so many people feel is a shield for Bugsy and stops people from realizing how horrible Bugsy really is.

Actually Hannah said she did order the lemons but was sent something else that apparently was supposed to be lemons but wasn't.  Hannah turned around and ordered more lemons and lemongate was done.  Until next week of course.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, gaPeach said:

I missed Lemongate.  What did Bugsy say that made Hannah look bad?  

Let's see if it becomes a real thing before condemning anyone over it.

Doubt not ordering lemons one time is going to get someone fired.  If Hanna failed to provision other stuff, then as part of a pattern it becomes a thing.

But if Bravo makes it a major reason someone is "fired" we know the show is a scripted joke.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

I can't stand Sandy.  She is so hungry for the camera.  Hannah probably isn't the greatest chief stew, but she's also been on the show since the beginning which is not the case with anyone else.  I think Sandy wants there to be no question that it is her show.  She can't make that claim with Hannah still there.  

I didn't like Bugsy before and I still don't like Bugsy.  As for the poster, who asked what does Bugsy have to gain by throwing Hannah under the bus?  Ummmmm she opens the door to becoming the new chief stew on Below Deck Med.  She sucks.

She could be hungry for the camera.  But that doesn't mean she will end up getting more airtime than she otherwise would have gotten.

She could poke her head in other people's scenes but the producers or Bravo can cut her out of the episode that they air.

What does taking the chief stew job on a TV show do for her?  Is she going to put it on her CV and that will get her more jobs?  People in the industry know that it's a TV show, where it's more of a role than an actual ship function, not reflective of whether she has the skills to do the job on real charter yachts.

Does Bravo pay her more for playing specific roles?  Maybe but their main concern is ratings.  How does her being chief stew bring more ratings to the show?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kayz Opinion said:

I have no idea about vegan diets, but would they need LARGER portions to satisfy their hunger?

No, just more balanced meals.  You have to eat a lot of veg to fill up.  I did see him send down some quinoa salad at some point which is a little more filling (personally I hate quinoa- looks like tiny hatching worms and tastes bleh)

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

No, just more balanced meals.  You have to eat a lot of veg to fill up.

and I really think you need protein and fiber-- like beans, lentils, nuts-- to feel full. 

Waiting for the mushrooms to be delivered, and holding up the whole dinner, was STUPID.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

Kiko can go ahead and hitch his wagon to Hannah and we'll see how that works out for him.

I don’t think he hitched his wagon to her he just knows what is fair and what is conniving bullshit.

Bugsy did nothing but throw him under the bus in her talking heads. You can bet she will rat him out to Sandy first chance she gets.

She should have her own theme music. I suggest the O’Jay’s “Back Stabbers.”

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, Marley said:

Kiko was kind of annoying this episode. I feel like it shouldn’t be so hard for a professional chef to figure out vegan food.

I would be annoyed if dinner was that late. Kiko needs to figure it out.

Kiko did figure it out and the guests were happy with his food. Yes, it rattled him, but he still delivered. 
The guests from Miami strike me as posers. Yes, dinner was late but they seemed to have been snacking all day. They showed several  plates of food going out just before 6.  It did not leave a lot of prep time for dinner if they wanted to eat earlier. 
As high maintenance as they are, they will likely leave a crappy tip. 

• Love 6

Well they deserve a crappy tip so far. The service does not seem great. The chef can barely put a vegan meal together or even vegan snacks. If I were on a yacht like this and had this service I would be super disappointed. Not that I’ll ever be on a yacht like that tho lol. Yes they liked Kikos food in the end but it took way too long and they were still hungry after. Lame.

• Love 4