Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Wing And A Prayer

• Start Topic

Deavan and Jihoon's new apartment is not what they expected: it's because it's not "theirs." She's rented an AirBnB.

Tim reveals the real reason he's moving to Colombia: you know when he's not interesting enough to make the first episode there's going to be some shenanigans...

Brittany has doubts about her decision: no shit, Britt? Man, I NEVER saw that one coming! (Honestly, and I've never said this before, although the production staff isn't meant to get involved, if I'd have been a producer or even craft services I think I'd have been on the phone to the dad before I left the airport. We know Brittany isn't being respectful to the culture and doesn't care about assimilating, but Yazan's response was extreme.) 

• Love 22
19 hours ago, mamadrama said:

We know Brittany isn't being respectful to the culture and doesn't care about assimilating, but Yazan's response was extreme.) 

Yazoo is on a mission...  drop by DadYazoo to show him the (sing with me) D-I-V-O-R-C-E papers ASAP, get married PDQ then sexy time according to Islam.

Britt was cast to create drama...but this isn't Zied's parents with a broken Cloisonne vase, this is a seriously religious family...Britt is in the deep end of the pool....twerking her buns

• Love 13
12 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Yazoo is on a mission...  drop by DadYazoo to show him the (sing with me) D-I-V-O-R-C-E papers ASAP, get married PDQ then sexy time according to Islam.

Britt was cast to create drama...but this isn't Zied's parents with a broken Cloisonne vase, this is a seriously religious family...Britt is in the deep end of the pool....twerking her buns

I'm betting he's already had some sexy time...

I know women who Intentionally go after extremely religious men because they love the challenge. Not saying I approve of this, just that I've seen it.

Hey, maybe he DOES know about her secret and he's hoping she'll forget about this marriage, too, once they've legally screwed a few times! 😉 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I know women who Intentionally go after extremely religious men because they love the challenge. Not saying I approve of this, just that I've seen it.

I am guessing these same women think they can turn a gay man straight too!

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Christina said:

As I tell my family, Neil Patrick Harris and I have been engaged since 1991 and will be married as soon as the Restraining Order that stupid judge signed expires. He obviously doesn't know he's not gay yet, because he hasn't had the opportunity to meet me!

Everyone always shutting down our love because I'm delusional. 😢

Your restraining order will probably expire around the same time as the one Ricky Martin has against me. I keep telling people that his husband and kids are just a beard so that people won't know that he's straight...

Seriously, though, the show's making me nervous. I LIKE Armando and Kenny. I want to keep liking them. (They remind me of the couple from Sandra's HOARDER'S episode, and if you haven't watched it you seriously should if for no other reason than for them.) Don't fuck this up for me, TLC. 

• Love 12
(edited)

"I didn't sign up for this." Obviously, you ignoramus. You talked over him every time he tried to tell you he expected you to become Muslim. Your denial has gotten you into seriously hot water. Time to live in the real world. Yazan's reaction was over the top scary. You need to get on the next flight home.

Melyza's boyfriend seems to have aged 20 years in the time they've known each other. Well, maybe not aged, but definitely changed. Looks like a bad carbon copy.

Edited by renatae
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16

Deavan's mom - how rude! Deavan's new home - yikes!

I once rented a place sight unseen. My husband was in Officer Candidate School at Ft. Benning and we were still back home in Ohio. Someone on the base was speaking effusively about a particular apartment complex and I got impressive brochures talking about beautiful artwork and wonderfully furnished apartments.

When we arrived, I practically begged the cab driver to tell me I was in the wrong place, but nooooooo! Black asphalt floors throughout, plastic "upholstery" on the furniture. Gray throw rugs which looked about 30 years old.

I feel you, Deavan, lol. At least I had running water and a working bathroom.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Anyone else see the Darcey and Stacey show teaser?  Saw that one coming a mile away.

F that noise with Yazan.  I don't care how much I "love" someone, if they went off on me like that for no reason, I'd be gone.

• Love 20

I don't understand people who deal with problems by ignoring them. Like Brittany and Yazan. Brittany said that she changed the subject every time Yazan brought up Islam and Brittany converting. Yazan should have realized that Brittany is obviously not interested in learning about Islam and Brittany should have realized that Yazan is expecting her to convert. Or the fact that Brittany is still married and lied about it. How does she think that is going to be received?

The only couple I'm rooting for, are Kenneth and Armando. I think it might have been better for Armando and his daughter to move to the US. Acceptance of gay couples is higher in the US than in Mexico and it doesn't look as if Armando's family is going to welcome Kenneth with open arms. Armado's daughter will move away from her family in any case, so they might as well move to the US.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Chloe Dog said:

I had tears in my eyes when Kenneth got in the car to leave.  I hope that this is the true love story that this show has yet to produce.

Man that was tough!  I am a bit bothered by this idea that his family will NEVER see Kenneth again.  I heard that repeated numerous times by them but I don't understand can they not visit?  Nobody can fly down there and see him??

I never thought I would say this about a 90 Day show but this show really needs to be 2 hours long.  If I can endure awful Big Ed for 2 hours I can get 2 hours of Kenny and Armando =D

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Cini said:

The only couple I'm rooting for, are Kenneth and Armando. I think it might have been better for Armando and his daughter to move to the US. Acceptance of gay couples is higher in the US than in Mexico and it doesn't look as if Armando's family is going to welcome Kenneth with open arms. Armado's daughter will move away from her family in any case, so they might as well move to the US.

Easier said than done.  There's a long waiting list for people to legally move to the US from Mexico.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Man that was tough!  I am a bit bothered by this idea that his family will NEVER see Kenneth again.  I heard that repeated numerous times by them but I don't understand can they not visit?  Nobody can fly down there and see him??

I never thought I would say this about a 90 Day show but this show really needs to be 2 hours long.  If I can endure awful Big Ed for 2 hours I can get 2 hours of Kenny and Armando =D

I didn’t get the impression that Kenneth’s kids thought they would never see him again. But his living in the same town and WITH one daughter/grandson is very different than another country (even pre Covid). Florida to Mexico is a planned trip- not like they live in Southern California and could just take an hour or two drive down to see Dad. 

Of course they want their Dad to be happy but I get it. Especially the daughter who is a single Mom. No her father does not have an obligation to raise his grandson, but he was a huge help to her and she has to adjust now, it hurts. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I didn’t get the impression that Kenneth’s kids thought they would never see him again. But his living in the same town and WITH one daughter/grandson is very different than another country (even pre Covid). Florida to Mexico is a planned trip- not like they live in Southern California and could just take an hour or two down to see Dad. 

Of course they want their Dad to be happy but I get it. Especially the daughter who is a single Mom. No her father does not have an obligation to raise his grandson, but he was a huge help to her and she has to adjust now, it hurts. 

Oh I understand the pain and hurt but I could have sworn I heard one of the daughters say specifically to her son that they will never seem him again....maybe it was a slip of the tongue but it just seemed a weird thing to say to a child.

12 hours ago, suzywallis said:

Another African Rapper!   I was waiting on him to break out with Usman's song!  😛

Yeah I thought that too even though he does seem like a nice guy.  *shrug* 

2 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

Cheesedick's big secret was that he cheated on his girlfriend in Colombia? not that he was a serial killer or something?

Yeah that was a major letdown.  And the tears in his confessional seemed so fake to me.  IDK but I'm already not liking this guy.  Something about him seems so...slimy.  His only redeeming quality was therapy cat.  Take that silly body harness of kitty and just keep him in a carrier when you travel.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, renatae said:

I once rented a place sight unseen. My husband was in Officer Candidate School at Ft. Benning and we were still back home in Ohio. Someone on the base was speaking effusively about a particular apartment complex and I got impressive brochures talking about beautiful artwork and wonderfully furnished apartments.

I bet I know exactly which complex you're talking about, I used to work at Fort Benning, and certain complexes were known for their wonderful pictures of a model apartment, and the nasty, crime ridden dives they rented to people.

I was embarrassed for the way Deavan's awful mother acted.   Jihoon's parents didn't need a translator for that pathetic display.    I see that Deavan gets her 'lovely manners' from her mother.    

• Love 7

@suzywallis & @Dirtybubble I understand why Arielle had a vacation fling with Biyum(is that his name). Ethiopian people in general are gorgeous -He’s very handsome and that smile his full of charm. It’d totally be down for a vacation fling if he smiled at me. 

But you don’t turn your vacation fling into your co-parent/husband. What in the world????? This is where they lose me. I agree with @Neurochick Brittany isn’t bringing a baby into this. 

• Love 7

Before reading....

We are still in the boring pre-leaving stage and coupled with my lack of interest in Ariela this was a quick watch.

Loved Jihoon saying he's happy his mother doesn't know the F-word. Not for anything, it was stupid for Deavan to rent an AirBnb in a country she knows nothing about. Then again, if she would have sent the money to Jihoon and asked him to rent a place in a good area, he probably would have spent the cash. 

I totally lost patience with the blonde guy from Texas. He came across to me as an immature dolt. Someone who decides at 24 to start a life of crime? See ya.  

Brittany and Yazan were boring. I have a feeling that their story will be a broken record every week of culture clash. 

I'm essentially only watching this for Kenny and Armando and I'm curious as to what will become of Deavan. 

• Love 9

If Britanny had any brains she would have called the airline from her hotel room and booked the next flight home.

Larissa: " You can't have Colte!  This is MY 15 minutes!"

Jihoon to his mom (in Korean): " 'Fuck' means 'love' mom, Deavan's mom loves it here!"

I enjoyed watching Deavan's sourpuss through her entire segment.  When she finds out Jihoon's situation, it will get even worse.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
(edited)

Cheesestick? How about "Cheese-twit"I didn't like Cheesetwit from the start but the revelation that he cheated because he was lonely carried it home for me. Even his therapy cat doesn't deserve him.

Kenny, why do you and Armando make me cry each week? Stop it! But seriously. These guys are so likeable and seemingly normal Please, let this happen for once. We need a happy real love story for once. 

Does Deaven ever smile? It hard to smile after  a long flight with two little kids but she didn't even seem happy to see Jihoon. Like at all. Deaven's mom is rude. I always go to a new place with some background knowledge of it. Don't they google stuff, ya know, educate yer self? It's that self-entitled little bubble mentality that everywhere should be like home. That is the glory of travel. Travel can broaden the mind if you let it. However, Elicia doesn't seem open to new experiences. She's a nutjob. 

Yazan is scary. I don't understand how someone can go from 0 to rage that fast. Brittney said he never yelled at her before but that doesn't fit his actions. He very controlling. 

Ariela continues to bore me. Sorry. Her fiance is super cute though and he has mad skills. That backwards flip was impressive 

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Cini said:

think it might have been better for Armando and his daughter to move to the US. Acceptance of gay couples is higher in the US than in Mexico and it doesn't look as if Armando's family is going to welcome Kenneth with open arms. Armado's daughter will move away from her family in any case, so they might as well move to the US.

I don’t think it’s easy to get permission to move from Mexico to the US at this time in our history.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

@suzywallis & @Dirtybubble I understand why Arielle had a vacation fling with Biyum(is that his name). Ethiopian people in general are gorgeous -He’s very handsome and that smile his full of charm. It’d totally be down for a vacation fling if he smiled at me. 

But you don’t turn your vacation fling into your co-parent/husband. What in the world????? This is where they lose me. I agree with @Neurochick Brittany isn’t bringing a baby into this. 

His two friends were even better looking.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I don’t think it’s easy to get permission to move from Mexico to the US at this time in our history.

Not even on a K-1 ? Why should it be harder to bring a Mexican national into the US with a K-1 than a Brazilian, or Colombian?  From the looks of his house and car, it appears as if Kenneth has enough money to qualify.

Fernanda came from Mexico.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I totally lost patience with the blonde guy from Texas. He came across to me as an immature dolt. Someone who decides at 24 to start a life of crime? See ya.

He looks totally different and it doesn’t appear to just be regular weight gain.  Maybe he is on meds that make him all bloated and puffy.  He kinda reminds me of Lurch.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Cini said:

Not even on a K-1 ? Why should it be harder to bring a Mexican national into the US with a K-1 than a Brazilian, or Colombian?  From the looks of his house and car, it appears as if Kenneth has enough money to qualify.

Fernanda came from Mexico.

Because whoever is the current chief executive has a lot to say in the matter.

• Love 6
(edited)

Jihoon’s  mother has a lot of gall to be criticizing Deavan considering what a bang up job she has done raising her Peter-Pan son.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 20
On 6/27/2020 at 11:59 AM, Christina said:

As I tell my family, Neil Patrick Harris and I have been engaged since 1991 and will be married as soon as the Restraining Order that stupid judge signed expires. He obviously doesn't know he's not gay yet, because he hasn't had the opportunity to meet me!

Everyone always shutting down our love because I'm delusional. 😢

On 6/27/2020 at 6:11 PM, mamadrama said:

Your restraining order will probably expire around the same time as the one Ricky Martin has against me. I keep telling people that his husband and kids are just a beard so that people won't know that he's straight...

Seriously, though, the show's making me nervous. I LIKE Armando and Kenny. I want to keep liking them. (They remind me of the couple from Sandra's HOARDER'S episode, and if you haven't watched it you seriously should if for no other reason than for them.) Don't fuck this up for me, TLC. 

Yes, and my Restraining Order against Anderson Cooper is about to expire, too.......Dammit, I am 55 but if I had an egg, I could have toted that adorable baby FOR HIM DAMMIT.

I am all in with Kenny and Armando.    Yes, tehy remind me of Sandra from "Hoaders" as well: that wonderful couple with patience beyond measure!!!!  (They were just re-run, and I loeved them more!!)

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Kid said:

Yes, Brittany, this is EXACTLY what you signed up for. You just didn’t know it.  

She basically clicked the "I agree" box without reading the terms, sorry hot stuff, but you're bound by them now. It will never ceases to amaze or aggravate me that these people are aghast that not everyplace on earth is America. 

9 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I think Zazan is on drugs. He doesn't seem to be all there most of the time.

His parents are related. That shit starts to take at toll. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

He looks totally different and it doesn’t appear to just be regular weight gain.  Maybe he is on meds that make him all bloated and puffy.  He kinda reminds me of Lurch.

He does look different- more “bloated” compared to just body fat from taking in too many calories.  Likely the result of some sort of medication. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

He does look different- more “bloated” compared to just body fat from taking in too many calories.  Likely the result of some sort of medication. 

And has the emotional support cat so maybe mental health issues such as anxiety or depression.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I’m not trying to defend Yazan...or maybe I am a bit.    I certainly wouldn’t be with a man who treated me that way, but, that is the perspective of a western woman.  In the first episode, he talked about modest Muslim women who stay home and stayed covered and how he thought Brittany would enjoy living that way and she didn’t tell him anything different.  I don’t think he knows how to deal with an independent western woman and he is panicking at the thought of her behaving like that in front of his family.   Compromise is hard since Brittany feels no need to change and didn’t bother to learn anything about life as the wife of an observant Muslim.  His father was willing to give her a chance...he even suggested the flowers.   She needs to just turn around and go home now.  

• Love 20

Didn't care for new guy Tim. Beside his life of crime that started at 24, he cheated once on his girlfriend. Because he was lonely. And with a coworker. His emotional support cat is the only thing he has going for him. He needs to focus on his own 'stuff' before he moves to Colombia. He will probably cheat there - lack of Spanish, other super-hot women. What would a super-hot woman see in him? He has a good job? He is smart, funny, personable, does things? What does he see in Melyza except for her looks? His friends think she is a nice, kind woman. Is she, really?

I had coworkers who were 40 and lived at home. No desire to move out.  Mama Jihoon would be happy to see her son marry and move out but she may be stuck with him, maybe Deaven, and the grandchild. Jihoon still has not grown up, doesn't have any sort of job that will support a family, and doesn't want to. Surely Deaven and her mom could have stopped at the airport bathroom, brushed the hair, cleaned up the kids a bit. If I get off a flight, I usually stop at the bathroom to make myself a bit presentable. Deaven's mom did not come across very well and was typical of the 'Ugly American' - or 'Ugly' Any Nationality - other folks from other countries can be just like her. She has never travelled and has serious culture shock. At least Jihoon's parents couldn't understand her F-bombs. No wonder Deaven wants to leave home. I do expect that the apartment isn't as bad as it looks. Surely Jihoon could have spared an afternoon and looked at a few places and then sent Deaven pics to make her choice.

I like Kenny and Armando. Hopefully they are real. Kenny's daughter may appreciate her dad's support and help, but he needs to live his own life. She can take care of her child. He also is not moving to Antarctica. They all have computers and can use Skype or whatever to keep in touch.

Biniyam seems charming enough and probably was a fun vacation fling. Unfortunately that went belly-up. Surely he could have sent Ariela some pictures of his home and asked what she needed, given that she is 6 or almost 7 months along. He also doesn't seem to have any sort of profession or a way to support himself and his new family. Maybe Ariela's parents will help out for a while til they get settled.

So, Brittany, you never noticed that Yazan can be a bit controlling?  People are people and the vast majority cannot pull off Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde seamlessly. You probably overlooked certain behaviours he showed, how he came across. Doubtful that you really listened to him. Both of you are in different books. He expects you to be X, and you have no part of it. You are expected to convert to Islam. You don't want to change and you do not want to live in his world - unless you change it to be what you want. Again, the two of you needed to have a long talk about what you both want and your expectations of your relationship. It is unlikely to work. If a dude blew up at me like that, he would be gone from my life. I would thank him for the ride to the hotel, spend the night, make arrangements to get a flight out as soon as I could and be gone from the hotel by the time you came to pick me up the next day.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Cheesestick? How about "Cheese-twit"

I thought he said he was called "G-stick" and I couldn't figure out what that was!

2 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

<snip>

Yazan is scary. I don't understand how someone can go from 0 to rage that fast. Brittney said he never yelled at her before but that doesn't fit his actions. He very controlling. 

<snip>

Yeah, I think Yazan forgot to communicate the subtle differences between what is expected of a "guest" (Brittany's last visit) vs. what's expected of a "spouse-to-be." (this trip)  AND I think Yazan enjoyed acting American when he visited Brittany, and expects it to be just as easy for her to "act Jordanian" now.  Not quite.

• Love 14
32 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I’m not trying to defend Yazan...or maybe I am a bit.    I certainly wouldn’t be with a man who treated me that way, but, that is the perspective of a western woman.  In the first episode, he talked about modest Muslim women who stay home and stayed covered and how he thought Brittany would enjoy living that way and she didn’t tell him anything different.  I don’t think he knows how to deal with an independent western woman and he is panicking at the thought of her behaving like that in front of his family.   Compromise is hard since Brittany feels no need to change and didn’t bother to learn anything about life as the wife of an observant Muslim.  His father was willing to give her a chance...he even suggested the flowers.   She needs to just turn around and go home now.  

I don’t think Yazan is a morally corrupt person or dangerous- but he’s not a partner for Brittany and she knows that. Whether it’s their head in the sand or hot sex when they met the last time, she has NO INTEREST in converting to Islam and he thinks he can convince her. I think she likes him, but she has no intention of marrying him, she’s here to be on a reality show. 

• Love 14
6 hours ago, Cini said:

I don't understand people who deal with problems by ignoring them. Like Brittany and Yazan. Brittany said that she changed the subject every time Yazan brought up Islam and Brittany converting. Yazan should have realized that Brittany is obviously not interested in learning about Islam and Brittany should have realized that Yazan is expecting her to convert. Or the fact that Brittany is still married and lied about it. How does she think that is going to be received?

Yazan: "If I mention Islam or conversion often enough, she'll get the idea.  No problem."

Brittany: "If I just ignore his talk of Islam, he'll get the idea.  No problem."

COMMUNICATION, PEOPLE!  Assumptions do not make a relationship!

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Kath94 said:

Yeah, I think Yazan forgot to communicate the subtle differences between what is expected of a "guest" (Brittany's last visit) vs. what's expected of a "spouse-to-be." (this trip)  AND I think Yazan enjoyed acting American when he visited Brittany, and expects it to be just as easy for her to "act Jordanian" now.  Not quite.

I agree. 

• Love 2