Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Wing And A Prayer

• Start Topic

On 7/1/2020 at 12:06 AM, Meowwww said:

But dang, Jihoon couldn’t even be bothered to pack till the last second.  He will never leave his parents.  I don’t get the hate Deavan has for his parents. 

Mother Jihoon would have preferred a quiet, sweet Korean wife for Joony and got stuck with the sour, dour nastiness of Deaven. And Joony was stupid enough to tell Deaven all about it. I also think that Mother Joony believes that Deaven got pregnant on purpose, because who wouldn’t want to snare her ambitious, go-getter son? (BTW, I think he has an unhealthy relationship with his dog.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Deavan's mother's social media is a mess of conspiracy theories and anti-vax rants. She claims her lineage has 2,000 years of royalty and that she also has family from the Salem witch trials. 

"I am weary of the struggle when those who should stand with me refuse the call. I do this for you and you call me crazy, but I am the thin blue line trying to defend YOUR kids from the government/Illuminati/Village People. You do not defend MY rights to not get my kids vaccinated, while still I fight for you. It tires me and I am disheartened. But yet I will continue to stand for you, whether you laugh or mock or ignore, because though I have my doubts I am still a Christ-like martyr figure. “

Okay, then...

Something I learned a long time ago? You can’t argue with crazy.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Where do you think Mother Deavan acquired the house??  It looks big and pricy!  

She conjured it up.  

I have it on good authority that she is a witch. 🤣😂🤣😂

• LOL 7
18 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Someone posted that large homes in Utah are relatively inexpensive.  And stepdad may have a decent income.

I've heard the same and I think it's why devans mother assumes that jihoon should have a house.  A man in his 30s with a decent job would probably have his own house in most parts of Utah.  

But it's different, where I live, houses are so expensive it's really rare to see a single young person who owns a home.  

• Love 9

Jihoon seems to care more about that little boutique dog, which probably cost a pretty penny, btw, than his kids.  He should be hauling that pretty little baby around like a trophy - or at least try.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I've heard the same and I think it's why devans mother assumes that jihoon should have a house.  A man in his 30s with a decent job would probably have his own house in most parts of Utah.  

But it's different, where I live, houses are so expensive it's really rare to see a single young person who owns a home.  

I get the tradesman vibe from him.  Where I live a plumber or electrician can easily make $150k, more than many attorneys.

• Love 3

Cheesedick, Draculette, Yazoo. Loving these nicknames! So very Endora (from Bewitched) of us. 

Just want to add that Mama Deavan actually accomplished something significant this episode: she actually managed to look WORSE in her TH interviews than she did after getting off a 22 hour flight! Her attitude and behavior were disgusting and unacceptable for any situation, let alone meeting her in-laws for the first time. I rarely say this, but what a true piece of shit. Even Dragzilla was better behaved coming off that flight.  

• Love 7

In Jihoon's THs, his hair looks just like Seinfeld's in the episode where he got the new barber.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:06 PM, Meowwww said:

So I thought cheese sticks girlfriend was named “Mae Lisa” until I figured out it was his pronunciation of Melissa with an accent. 

Her name is Melyza, which wouldn't be pronounced like Melissa.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:06 PM, Meowwww said:

Deavan’s mom was all kinds of wrong with her f words and dramatic reactions to all things Korea.

Isn't she from Salt Lake City?  I laughed when she talked about how narrow the streets are, because Utah is known for having super wide streets (allegedly big enough to turn a team of oxen around without resorting to profanity).  If she hasn't traveled much, threading those streets in South Korea, especially in that bus and in the front seat, must have been quite the experience.  I loved Jihoon's mother snapping on her driving gloves.

On 7/1/2020 at 1:38 PM, RealReality said:

It's so rare that people remember to tip the housekeeping because they don't see them. 

That's just one of many reasons tipping should be abolished.  There's no reason employers shouldn't be the ones to pay their employees.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 6/29/2020 at 10:23 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Deavan’s mom is trash of a BGL or Laura caliber.

Right? I mean who, upon meeting their daughter's in-laws for the first time, lets loose with a bazillion f-bombs in front of them? Even Grangela is too classy for that, and that's saying something!

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, LadyoftheLake23 said:

Right? I mean who, upon meeting their daughter's in-laws for the first time, lets loose with a bazillion f-bombs in front of them? Even Grangela is too classy for that, and that's saying something!

Shoot . . . even Lisa was too classy for that.  At least she waited until they got back in the car after visiting Usman's mother before she let loose on him.

• Love 6

When I watched this again today, I picked up on Armando's sister saying that Kenneth sounded like a good man, judging by his video calls with Armando.  I think this was part of the coming out discussion they had.  She must have known about their relationship prior to that conversation?  Did anyone else notice that, or am I all wet?

• Love 1
On 6/30/2020 at 10:04 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet I know exactly which complex you're talking about, I used to work at Fort Benning, and certain complexes were known for their wonderful pictures of a model apartment, and the nasty, crime ridden dives they rented to people.

I'll bet you do! It was huge and practically everyone there for training seemed to end up there. Fortunately, it's gone now. Hopefully, there are some better places out there. We moved out after a few months to a really nicely furnished place which was lovely and didn't cost that much more. Do you live in Phenix City or somewhere nearby?

• Love 1
On 6/29/2020 at 11:35 PM, mamadrama said:

I think the Korean house might be a fakeout. I'm 99% sure it's an AirBnB, but I don't think it will be as bad as the previews wanted.

I'm wondering the same. In the one scene, she was standing beside a newly painted-looking wall and a set of pretty blue mini-blinds. Certainly didn't look like it was in the same place as the falling down roofs we were shown.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Chloe Dog said:

When I watched this again today, I picked up on Armando's sister saying that Kenneth sounded like a good man, judging by his video calls with Armando.  I think this was part of the coming out discussion they had.  She must have known about their relationship prior to that conversation?  Did anyone else notice that, or am I all wet?

Possibly. It seems like Kenny and Armando have been together 3+ years, so it’s likely she has overheard conversations between the two even if they have actively avoided the discussion.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/2/2020 at 6:22 PM, heatherchandler said:

Jihoon visited Deavan, she got pregnant when he was in the US, I’m sure she had him hang out at her house a few times, so I imagine they have spent time together.  Didn’t he also come back after Tayung was born?

Yes he did, I think Taeyung was about a month old.  

One thing I've noticed positive about Jihoon is the way he treats Drascilla.  When he met his son for the first time, he seemed to make a real effort not to let her feel ignored, she was right next to him.  I feel for this child, she will always have to carry the burden of her image on this show, thanks to her mother's impulsive choices.

Edited by blubld43
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, renatae said:

I'll bet you do! It was huge and practically everyone there for training seemed to end up there. Fortunately, it's gone now. Hopefully, there are some better places out there. We moved out after a few months to a really nicely furnished place which was lovely and didn't cost that much more. Do you live in Phenix City or somewhere nearby?

No, I lived in Fort MItchell (formerly farm land, now full of houses because of the base realignment), fortunately not Phenix City.   It took a long time (7 months) to sell my house at Fort M, when I retired a few months ago.    If I had bought in Phenix City I would be trapped there, because the number of sales at any time on realtor . com is less than 10.     Columbus is having a huge issue with foreclosures, and short sales, and unsold properties, because of massive over-building for the influx of people that never really happened.      The areas closest to post are very dangerous too.      The  rules about Location is everything for real estate is true. 

I really like the way Jihoon, and his parents treat Drascilla.    They are such a sharp contrast to the way Deavan's mother acted in the airport, and the car.   Deavan's mom is the absolute living stereotype of the Ugly American tourist.    I think the entire falling down house scene was producer shenanigans, and they were never supposed to stay there.      The actual Airbnb looked lovely.    

I'm really hoping Kenny and Armando work out, and find happiness.    I suspect that if they marry and go for a spouse visa, that it will be quite a wait, and they have to stay in Mexico for that time period I think.    

• Love 3
22 hours ago, LadyoftheLake23 said:

22 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Shoot . . . even Lisa was too classy for that.  At least she waited until they got back in the car after visiting Usman's mother before she let loose on him.

I know. And WHAT was she screaming about??? Watching the scene I could NOT understand what would make someone so upset.

• Love 3
(edited)
19 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I know. And WHAT was she screaming about??? Watching the scene I could NOT understand what would make someone so upset.

I'm from an area where we have nice, wide straight streets - similar to what Mother Deavan would be accustomed to in Utah.  I've traveled to places where the streets are very similar to what we saw in South Korea while trying to find the rental unit.  No doubt about it, it is nerve wracking - especially to be in the front seat where you see EVERYTHING.  

And Mother Deavan may have been exhausted from their long flight (although we did see her sleeping on the plane).

Taking all the extenuating circumstances into account, though, there was NO excuse for her behavior.  IMO, who we are under stress is a pretty good indicator of our character when we're NOT under stress.  What she demonstrated was a foul-mouthed, inflexible, entitled attitude.  I would suspect she's that way (to a lesser degree) when she is calm.  And heaven help the world when she is over-tired and feeling any kind of stress.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm from an area where we have nice, wide straight streets - similar to what Mother Deavan would accustomed to in Utah.  I've traveled to places where the streets are very similar to what we saw in South Korea while trying to find the rental unit.  No doubt about it, it is nerve wracking - especially to be in the front seat where you see EVERYTHING.  

And Mother Deavan may have been exhausted from their long flight (although we did see her sleeping on the plane).

Taking all the extenuating circumstances into account, though, there was NO excuse for her behavior.  IMO, who we are under stress is a pretty good indicator of our character when we're NOT under stress.  What she demonstrated was a foul-mouthed, inflexible, entitled attitude.  I would suspect she's that way (to a lesser degree) when she is calm.  And heaven help the world when she is over-tired and feeling any kind of stress.

Ah. I appreciate the explanation. 

• Love 2

First she was ranting about the delay in leaving the airport, and why was she in the front seat, then she was very critical of Jihoon's mother's driving and the narrow streets. (My guess is that Jihoon's family thought giving her a front seat view of their country was a special courtesy for guests, otherwise Father Jihoon would have been up front.) Meanwhile, although her seat belt was buckled at times, she was usually shown riding without wearing one so she chose to put her safety at risk. 

• Love 6
On 7/2/2020 at 4:24 PM, humbleopinion said:

I misread it as "carries his dong around in a satchel"...

You know you didn't.  You know you just wanted to say "dong in a satchel"--as do I.  Dong in a satchel; sounds like an hors d'oeuvre, like a snooty pig in a blanket.

Dong in a satchel.  Dong in a satchel.  Dong in a satchel.

That was my nickname in junior high school.

Dong in a satchel.

See what you've done?

dong in a satchel

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

You know you didn't.  You know you just wanted to say "dong in a satchel"--as do I.  Dong in a satchel; sounds like an hors d'oeuvre, like a snooty pig in a blanket.

Dong in a satchel.  Dong in a satchel.  Dong in a satchel.

That was my nickname in junior high school.

Dong in a satchel.

See what you've done?

dong in a satchel

Their B&B is in Bang bae dong.

1 hour ago, magemaud said:

Why was Deaven so annoyed that Jihoon's parents came to pick them up at the airport? MOST people would be grateful!

It would be easier to discuss what doesn’t annoy Deavan.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

Dong Along Song

How long is that dongie in the satchel?

The ween that was once of Ji-hoon..

Where is that dongie in the satchel?

A witch has sent it to the moon.....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 7
(edited)
On 7/1/2020 at 9:36 PM, libgirl2 said:

I keep waiting for a shoe to drop with Kenny and Armando. I hope not. 

Calling it right now--Kenny will be spending all his waking hours lamenting that homosexuality is not "widely accepted" in Mexico (unlike that paradise for the LGBT community that is the US /sarcasm), when he's not Face Timing with his mopey, bawling family. Armando will be tormenting himself over what a disappointment he is to his parents, who will call periodically to lay guilt trips on him.  There will be unprecedented amounts of crying. 

On 7/4/2020 at 2:10 PM, magemaud said:

image.png.d71ba38a390d91f115803edc4521f377.png

On 7/4/2020 at 3:38 PM, magemaud said:

First she was ranting about the delay in leaving the airport, and why was she in the front seat, then she was very critical of Jihoon's mother's driving and the narrow streets. (My guess is that Jihoon's family thought giving her a front seat view of their country was a special courtesy for guests, otherwise Father Jihoon would have been up front.) Meanwhile, although her seat belt was buckled at times, she was usually shown riding without wearing one so she chose to put her safety at risk. 

The way she was screaming about the narrow streets! What does she expect Jihoon's mother to do? Jump into a bulldozer and start widening them? That's how the streets ARE, you pig ignorant hag. 

On 7/4/2020 at 10:51 PM, magemaud said:

Why was Deaven so annoyed that Jihoon's parents came to pick them up at the airport? MOST people would be grateful!

Deavan is annoyed by everything. She is such a fucking downer. Does she ever smile? Is she ever pleased by anything? At least Jihoon is good humored and kind. Well, he was, until that psychic vampire Deavan sucked all the joy out of him. 

I live in Salem, MA, and we have this lovely tribute to "Bewitched" downtown: Samantha.jpg

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 14
(edited)
On 6/27/2020 at 11:59 AM, Christina said:

As I tell my family, Neil Patrick Harris and I have been engaged since 1991 and will be married as soon as the Restraining Order that stupid judge signed expires. He obviously doesn't know he's not gay yet, because he hasn't had the opportunity to meet me!

Everyone always shutting down our love because I'm delusional. 😢

I am patiently awaiting David Tutera’s Restraining Order against me to expire, lapse, get lost in the bureaucratic shuffle. The wedding is going to be amazing!

I love Kenneth and his awesome skin. He reminds me of the British singer Daley.  Brittany is a thot and Yazan is cray cray.  Me also thinks he’s in the closet...just a hunch. Ariela is a flighty idiot, and Deaven is the personification of Schleprock. 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 4

What does Yazoo mean in american culture?  Where I'm from it's a brand of chocolate milk. Are we talking about the same thing? 

I also currently live in a country where tipping is not the norm because waiters, cleaners, etc. get decent salaries in the first place. You only tip for really exceptional service. Therefore I might not be so switched on about when to tip in other countries, although I hope I would have read a guide book beforehand to figure it out. 

• Love 1
On 7/4/2020 at 9:14 PM, AZChristian said:

I'm from an area where we have nice, wide straight streets - similar to what Mother Deavan would be accustomed to in Utah.  I've traveled to places where the streets are very similar to what we saw in South Korea while trying to find the rental unit.  No doubt about it, it is nerve wracking - especially to be in the front seat where you see EVERYTHING.  

I know right? I've been a passenger in a minibus driving around the mountains in Greece on narrow winding roads with steep side drops... there are regularly SHRINES by the roadside where people died in traffic accidents... sometimes we had to move boulders out the middle of the road to get by... no way did i start yelling and effing... I wanted the driver to concentrate on where they were going!

• Love 1
On 7/25/2020 at 11:40 AM, Squishy Tomato said:

What does Yazoo mean in american culture?  Where I'm from it's a brand of chocolate milk. Are we talking about the same thing? 

I also currently live in a country where tipping is not the norm because waiters, cleaners, etc. get decent salaries in the first place. You only tip for really exceptional service. Therefore I might not be so switched on about when to tip in other countries, although I hope I would have read a guide book beforehand to figure it out. 

There’s an US saying “up to yazoo” which means “so much/excess/too much”......

”I did some emotional spending and have amazon boxes up to yazoo!”

Does that help?

• Love 1

If I’m taking even a weekend trip and getting a VRBO I’m checking out the google map satillite, street view, etc to see what I’m getting myself in to. How were deavan and her mom so clueless and why was the mom so angry??

• Love 1