Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Seeds Of Discontent

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, suzywallis said:

After reading all of your responses, I am starting to like Momma Paul a little more.  I need more back story on them. 

Quick recap, we met Pole many seasons ago when he was preparing like 15 foot lockers to go to meet Karine.  Mother Pole was meek and offered him a clump of hair pulled from her brush for him to take with him.  As we progress, she tells him not to get married, she tells him not to get pregnant, she tells him to work hard (he does not listen).  He returns to the US to make money, lives with his parents, get's fired from a job literally shoveling shit.  She's over it.  Oh, and Pole has a criminal past including arson and insurance fraud, a pathological fear of everything (he wouldn't swim in the Amazon without wearing a condom and a special penis sack to protect him from the incredibly rare candiru fish), and the greatest run ever caught on film.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

The guy that Larissa went on a blind date with is actually my twin brother but he may look a nice guy on TV but he is an asshole in real life unfortunately 

Okay, you can't just drop that shit on us like that. We need info! 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

As a fat chick, I can tell you you're 100% wrong.  You have your preferences, but you can't speak for all, or most, men.  

I’m not describing my preferences.  Explain why they had to invent plus size models.

20 hours ago, mamadrama said:

The Karen Coven and Moldovagate is almost unwatchable to me. They're being ignorant and offensive and Libby's just encouraging that because she's a shit stirrer. 

MamaDrama, your assessment reflected everything that I can barely stomach about this 'family.'  THE KAREN COVEN -- bwahahahahahaha!  And, THEN, Mama Coven has to go and show us what an uninformed, prejudiced woman she is.  She should never have allowed her 'chicklings' to leave the nest and fly!  They are not ready and may never be ready.  (Am still not sure I believe this story-line is for real...??)

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, TzuShih said:

MamaDrama, your assessment reflected everything that I can barely stomach about this 'family.'  THE KAREN COVEN -- bwahahahahahaha!  And, THEN, Mama Coven has to go and show us what an uninformed, prejudiced woman she is.  She should never have allowed her 'chicklings' to leave the nest and fly!  They are not ready and may never be ready.  (Am still not sure I believe this story-line is for real...??)

We know Mama Coven is off if she fucked Chuck.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I think Kalani will stay with Asuelo as long as possible in order to earn money from these shows.  Without him she might have to...gasp...get a job to support herself and the children.  I often wonder if this level of "fame" is worth putting up/staying married with some of these spouses/fiances/ holders of the elusive green card.

As for Angela and her will, states have various regulations about who receives property from the deceased.  Some states dictate percentages for surviving spouse and surviving children.  There's less leeway than many people think.  However, I also think Angela would never have been able to buy that house without Michael as that's how she got on this show.  Therefore, he definitely deserves some interest in the house whether married or not (IMO, not legally).

I think Tania thinks it's "cute" that Syngin carries her and that it will make people like them.  Although I preferred Syngin in their original season, my opinion has changed.  He's devastated that she can't work, AND he's more knowledgeable about arthritis than her doctor (my arthritis was diagnosed when I was 24)...quite the catch.  And, he showed the bar owner exactly who he is by his non-stop off-topic talking and his drinking at the bar after his interview.  Yes, the bar owner offered Syngin the beer he poured, but Syngin added the shot afterwards (and I loved the look on the bar owner's face when he drank the shot) and then drank some more.  It sounded like his resume also contained a lot of jobs (short-term employment) as Syngin mentioned going from bartender back to mining.  Resumes can give great insight into the long-term employment potential of job seekers.

Don't care about Larissa and Colt.  Although Colt might have a story line that fits into the 90-Day concept, Larissa does not.  Maybe she should be on the dating show with Jesse.  Now THAT would be entertainment!

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, DVDFreaker said:

I just want to meet her and just say hi, I have no interest in dating Larissa and I have been single  for 15 years now and have no interest in dating but as for Anfisa, that made me laugh because I liked Anfisa and I would rather date Anfisa than Larissa and thank you for welcoming me! 😂

Thank goddess, because I was side eye you until hell freezes over if you were romantically interested in her.  😆

So your brother knew Larissa when all the Colt-y shenanigans were taking place?  I'm amazed that Larissa keeps having friends pop up in Vegas even though she said on camera that was all alone with no one to turn to.  I don't know why her lies amaze me, yet for some reason they do.  

I'm going to blame the quarantine.   

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Thank goddess, because I was side eye you until hell freezes over if you were romantically interested in her.  😆

So your brother knew Larissa when all the Colt-y shenanigans were taking place?  I'm amazed that Larissa keeps having friends pop up in Vegas even though she said on camera that was all alone with no one to turn to.  I don't know why her lies amaze me, yet for some reason they do.  

I'm going to blame the quarantine.   

Yup! Larissa is a compulsive liar just like my brother but I will die if Larissa becomes my sister in law 😂

Edited by DVDFreaker
Delete
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
58 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I have hated Tania from pretty much the beginning, but I felt bad for her when she heard the news she may not bartend again.

Besides the witchdoctor gig that seems to not be working out has Tania just given up on any career that does not involve bartending? Like, I'm sure it can be fun but, like maybe take it as an opportunity? Hell, I have barely left the chair in my home office in months for work and they still keep putting money in my bank account.

Edited by John M
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Am I alone in thinking that Libby's dress wasn't even flattering? 

Um...well let's just say that Libby & her coven's taste(s) do not reflect that of a Meghan Markle OR, my fave, the late great Audrey Hepburn...classic chic, elegant.  "Oh," the coven exclaimed! "That furry stole perfectly compliments that 'fairy-tale tons O LACE gown!' She SHALL go to the ball!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, politichick said:

I know, right? And I have to seriously wonder about Kalini. Why the actual fuck would she marry him and continue to procreate? She must have some serious insecurity issues to settle for him. I can't think of even one positive thing to say about him. How does he not know that women are doctors, too? Can he even read English? So many questions.

I'm more and more convinced that Asuelu & Kalani are reading from a TLC script.  "Scene 3. Take 18.  And ACTION!"  'Put-upon' Kalani, alas, is not the best actor.  She may not be a PhD, but her screen 'reactions' to the dumb things Asuelu says do NOT convince me that this plot-line is not 'staged' in some way.  No mother would even CONSIDER taking her babies to a country with a Measles epidemic.  Her responses to her hubby are just NOT REAL ENUF to me.  There is no outrage' in any of her reactions.  As for Asuelu, he obviously understands that if he plays completely dumb, that TLC will keep some money coming in to their bank account.  Sorry, but I do not believe that Kalani would have married SUCH a backward boob.  He may not be the most "promising" money earner, but this plot is just TOO ridiculous to believe.   

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

The guy that Larissa went on a blind date with is actually my twin brother but he may look a nice guy on TV but he is an asshole in real life unfortunately 

is he into philanthropy??

• LOL 7
4 hours ago, heatherchandler said:
6 hours ago, magemaud said:

I'm calling BS on Andreiiii's insistence on having Eleanor's baptism in his Moldovan church. Babies are not "Christened into" a particular denomination, they are just baptized as Christians. As a baby, I was baptized in the Methodist church but converted to Catholicism 25 years ago. I didn't have to be Christened again, as the priest explained that it didn't matter what denomination baptizes you, it's a one time event. 

I don't think Eleanor had been baptized at all.

Yes, she hasn't been baptized because they're waiting to do it in Moldova, but they have to be married in Andrei's church first, as apparently their park wedding isn't recognized by the Moldovan Orthodox. My point was, there's no reason they have to do it in a particular church except maybe for sentimental reasons. 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I wanted that luggae to fall over and OVER again

Can someone here create moving GIFS of Paul with the luggage and Colt dancing? Pretty please? 

Oh, now I see I got my wish as far as Coltee! 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Have we viewers met Vanessa yet?  I can't place her.

Viewers saw this photo of Vanessa when Colt was explaining in his TH that she was just his "gym buddy." image.png.0585a0194a1295d93e41efd65247348c.png

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, DVDFreaker said:

Yes he is, he always volunteered for the homeless every year giving out clothes and food 

that's good.  i assumed it was just talk when he asked that.  I take back my snarky comment.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Grifter Lives said:

You must be baptized in the Orthodox Church to be an Orthodox Christian and to receive the sacraments.  A non-Orthodox Christian must be baptized in the Holy Trinity to marry an Orthodox Christian in the Orthodox Church. 

thanks, I guess they're a lot stricter than Roman Catholics. But I thought even Protestant denominations baptized using the "Trinitarian Formula" which washes away "original sin." 

I just had another thought, will Libby need to be Baptized and convert before the wedding? Is this going to be more drama? 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, lilysmom said:

Besides this, what if Eleanor needs to breastfeed while Libby is at the altar!? 

well, that dress will provide easy access and the little stole can be a coverup. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Kangatush said:

Jews do it, and Greek Orthodox does it (if you've ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding). 

yes, the scene with him standing in the kiddie pool has always cracked me up. Then on Seinfeld when George converts to "Latvian Orthodox" is also hilarious

3 hours ago, mamadrama said:
6 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

Okay, you can't just drop that shit on us like that. We need info! 

Please join us over on their couples page where you can Spoil us to death! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, magemaud said:

thanks, I guess they're a lot stricter than Roman Catholics. But I thought even Protestant denominations baptized using the "Trinitarian Formula" which washes away "original sin." 

I just had another thought, will Libby need to be Baptized and convert before the wedding? Is this going to be more drama? 

My parents had to get re-married (to each other) in a Catholic Church before they would baptize me.  I was married in a Catholic Church and before they would baptize my son they needed all the paperwork from my baptism and our wedding.  

6 hours ago, magemaud said:

A Protestant could marry an Orthodox in the Orthodox Church, because he or she was baptized in the Trinity.   A Mormon, Unitarian or Scientologist, for example, could not.  I assume that Libby is Protestant or Catholic, so she will not need to convert or be baptized Orthodox.  But, as someone just posted above, Andrrei must be married in the Orthodox Church for the Church to recognize the marriage.  

Their storyline annoys me because (1) TLC yet agains portrays Orthodox Christianity as some bizarre, scary, non-mainstream religion.  (See Big Mike and Natalie.) and (2) Andrrei is terrorizing and extorting the family with Orthodoxy.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

When folks like Karinne and Akinyi say their expectations of the United States are based on movies, I’m always curious what movies they’ve watched. I don’t watch many movies anymore other than documentaries so I’m actually genuinely curious what they’re watching and how the U.S. is represented.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

When folks like Karinne and Akinyi say their expectations of the United States are based on movies, I’m always curious what movies they’ve watched. I don’t watch many movies anymore other than documentaries so I’m actually genuinely curious what they’re watching and how the U.S. is represented.

Probably the rom-coms (are they still called that?) where the woman has a crappy job, but still a huge perfectly decorated apartment or house.  Or the Nora Ephron movies like "You've got Mail" where Meg Ryan owned a struggling bookstore, but had a pretty nice apartment.  Or Father of the Bride, Home Alone, Clueless, the Proposal, Mrs Doubtfire.  All of these movies show "normal people" with very nice homes.  If I was watching any of the popular movies, and didn't live in the US, I would think that is the norm, too.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

It sounded like his resume also contained a lot of jobs (short-term employment) as Syngin mentioned going from bartender back to mining. 

Those short-term jobs were just to tide him over until he got his dream job of a firefighter . . . or an actor . . . or an opera singer.

• LOL 7
34 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Those short-term jobs were just to tide him over until he got his dream job of a firefighter . . . or an actor . . . or an opera singer.

He always wanted to be.....

A lumberjack!

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, charmed1 said:

1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Probably the rom-coms (are they still called that?) where the woman has a crappy job, but still a huge perfectly decorated apartment or house.  Or the Nora Ephron movies like "You've got Mail" where Meg Ryan owned a struggling bookstore, but had a pretty nice apartment.  Or Father of the Bride, Home Alone, Clueless, the Proposal, Mrs Doubtfire.  All of these movies show "normal people" with very nice homes.  If I was watching any of the popular movies, and didn't live in the US, I would think that is the norm, too.

I guess they haven't seen Joker?

• LOL 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Back in 1988 I received an associates in Journalism, which I joke about as the reason why I've been doing accounts payable for over two decades, because I never did anything further than writing for a local music magazine in exchange for concert tickets and free CDs, and doing free PR for a few small local bands in the 1990s. Several years later, I got a six-month temp job in the editorial department of our state's newspaper as an admin. assistant, although because of my degree they also ended up letting me write a lot of the little headings for the letters from readers. I genuinely enjoyed doing it even though it obviously didn't count as a byline! Anyway, I was visiting a friend one day and another friend of hers was there, too. After I told friend of friend where I was temping, she said that she should apply there as a writer because "I write lots of letters." As in writing to friends and family. At which point I should have slapped myself on the forehead and said, "You mean I got a degree for nothing?!" However, I didn't want to be rude.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I’m not describing my preferences.  Explain why they had to invent plus size models.

Because a very smart person realized that the average size of American women was NOT a double zero and there was money to be made by selling to such women.  

Because some people want to see models who don't look like 12 year olds.

ETA:  I really don't think anybody "invented" plus size models, someone just realized that there was money to be made.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, DanaMB said:

Please tell me Asuelo's comment about doctors being "boys" was producer driven. He annoys me more and more each episode, too.

I have to scratch my head at comments about Asuelu being chauvinistic/arrogant/misogynistic because of his comments like this. The guy comes from a primitive culture where, from what we've seen, people live simply and have few material possessions- and likely little exposure to modern society. The guy wears a little bikini and dances to entertain tourists for a living. He has never been exposed to a society where women work and care for families, or where a husband is expected to be sharing childcare.  Yes, he is in America now and (supposedly) his wife and her family are teaching him how our society handles gender roles. But all of the eye-rolling and withering looks and insults they hurl at him are just uncalled for. He certainly isn't ambitious, and he's very slow on the uptake, but let's give him a little credit for being placed in a culture completely antithetical to what he grew up in.

Kalani operates almost totally on her agenda, and her decisions are completely selfish. She thinks "going to see her family in California will be nice, family time"? Her family never stops grilling Asuelu, and he's trapped in the car with her harping on him nonstop. No, it's not going to be a fun family weekend. And while I'm discussing Kalani, her sitting on the bed during their ITMs cracks me up. She is slumped over with her gigantic breasts practically resting in her lap. I get wanting to flaunt one's assets, but she is literally showing all of her breast tissue.

I had to laugh at Debbie's comment about Colt "not having to go tell his mommy everything." She absolutely expects that!

Paul's mother locked him out of her house and he is mad! "It's my stuff! I need a garbage bag!" And don't get me started on the state of his car.  He is a disgusting pig, which is weird considering he talks like he's a germophobe.  Good way to be tough, Mama Paul. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Oh, that explains it, thanks! I’ve never seen any of those except Clueless. Didn’t they see the part where Cher got robbed at gun point? lol

It probably didn’t help that Pole kept telling Karrine that he couldn’t get a job because he was a non-Portuguese speaking American in Brazil. Now that he’s in his native country, I wonder what excuses he’s going to give. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I have to scratch my head at comments about Asuelu being chauvinistic/arrogant/misogynistic because of his comments like this. The guy comes from a primitive culture where, from what we've seen, people live simply and have few material possessions- and likely little exposure to modern society. The guy wears a little bikini and dances to entertain tourists for a living. He has never been exposed to a society where women work and care for families, or where a husband is expected to be sharing childcare.  Yes, he is in America now and (supposedly) his wife and her family are teaching him how our society handles gender roles. But all of the eye-rolling and withering looks and insults they hurl at him are just uncalled for. He certainly isn't ambitious, and he's very slow on the uptake, but let's give him a little credit for being placed in a culture completely antithetical to what he grew up in.

Kalani operates almost totally on her agenda, and her decisions are completely selfish. She thinks "going to see her family in California will be nice, family time"? Her family never stops grilling Asuelu, and he's trapped in the car with her harping on him nonstop. No, it's not going to be a fun family weekend. And while I'm discussing Kalani, her sitting on the bed during their ITMs cracks me up. She is slumped over with her gigantic breasts practically resting in her lap. I get wanting to flaunt one's assets, but she is literally showing all of her breast tissue.

I had to laugh at Debbie's comment about Colt "not having to go tell his mommy everything." She absolutely expects that!

Paul's mother locked him out of her house and he is mad! "It's my stuff! I need a garbage bag!" And don't get me started on the state of his car.  He is a disgusting pig, which is weird considering he talks like he's a germophobe.  Good way to be tough, Mama Paul. 

I see your point.  He may have never seen a woman doctor.  Unless he says something like, "women are too stupid to be a doctor," I will give him a pass.  He is just... not all there.  Yeah Kalani is a straight up asshole.  She is mean to him.  I guess I would be too, but I would not have married the guy.

Pole is a strange one, you are right, he is a pig and germaphobe.  

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I have to agree with this.  When we first saw Kalani and her family, I remember her dad saying that he DID NOT want his daughters to marry anybody from Samoa, where he's from, that they should marry white men.  Very strange to me; so Kalani has been told maybe from childhood that only a white man is good enough for her.  

Years ago, I saw a movie called "America The Beautiful" which was about how sick the modeling/beauty industry is.  I remember the filmmaker talked to a woman, maybe she was a teacher who  lived in the South Pacific, maybe it was in Samoa.  Wherever it was, the women had NO issues with their bodies UNTIL they got American TV.  Suddenly, they began to feel ashamed because American TV feels that anybody over a double zero is obese and should hide their head in shame.  Maybe Kalani had to deal with asshole men like that.  Maybe when she went to Samoa, the men there appreciated the way she looked.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Because a very smart person realized that the average size of American women was NOT a double zero and there was money to be made by selling to such women.  

Because some people want to see models who don't look like 12 year olds.

ETA:  I really don't think anybody "invented" plus size models, someone just realized that there was money to be made.

It's interesting how body standards have changed and evolved, but I think do much of it has had to do with status.

Back when rubenesque women were the beauty standard (Venus in the shell, etc) so few people had access to enough food to have a little bit of cushion.  

When we all had ready access to affordable and fattening foods, skinny became the standard because only people of particular status could afford health programs, diet pills and diet programs.  

Even when Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield and Mae west were the body standard, I feel like America had just come off tough economic times of food scarcity and limited resources.  

It's interesting to think that the standard for a beautiful body may be what is unattainable by the masses.  So it's an interesting shift to have plus size models who don't represent an unattainable dream, because I don't think that's ever really been the case.  

Unless I lose like 50 pounds and invest in stilts I'd never be a Naomi Campbell....who to me, is just the most physically beautiful woman I've ever seen.  Also, she dated Idris Elba, so I hate her.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, RealReality said:

who to me, is just the most physically beautiful woman I've ever seen.  Also, she dated Idris Elba, so I hate her.

This is me with Iman.  And David Bowie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

I'm sorry, what now? Are you seriously going to leave us hanging???!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Nobody invented them. Pretty sure the women already existed. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

There is a big difference between a 00 and Nicole, Molly, and Kalani.

The sneak peak of next week’s episode is now available on demand.

You're right, there's definitely a difference between them-Molly and Kalani are beautiful and Nicole's just...there. 

• Love 3
Just now, MrBuhBye said:

The concept.  Don’t be coy.

I'm not. The women already existed; seeing as to how the majority of the female population isn't super thin, someone finally just capitalized on it. Beauty standards change over time. Size 0 hasn't always been the preferable beauty standard. Whatever faults Danielle, Angela, Molly, Nicole, Kalani, or BGL may have, it's not their weight impeding them. It's their decision making process and, in a couple of cases, their personality in general.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7