Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Seeds Of Discontent

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

If I were Kalani, I'd insist Asuelo go to Samoa to visit his family by himself, and then really hope he didn't come back. She doesn't want to go there, and there is no way you should mess around with measles.

-----

If I were driving with Asuelo in the car when he just complained and took digs at American women, pouted, and called me a bitch, I would have pulled over, thrown his out, and advised him to call and uber and go home. 

I'd tell Asuelo, "We cannot all go to Samoa because of the cost and the measles epidemic - whether the kids are vaccinated or not.  If you wish to see your family, you need to save up your airfare after you have seen to the expenses of your children (which would be half the rent, food, etc.).   The children and I will not be going.  Period.  It might be quicker if you save enough for just one one-way ticket."

-----

I said the same thing while watching the episode.  Kalani's mother should have pulled over and kicked him out of the car.  Maybe if he has to do SOMETHING for himself, he'll realize what an easy road he's traveled since coming to the USA.  And she should have said, "If you're so smart and women are so dumb, get out of this woman's car and find your way home.  I'm going to take your wife and children home, and when Kalani's father asks where you are, I will tell him about our conversation.  If you're LUCKY, he won't come to find you to 'offer you a ride home.'"

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Wow imagine if someone said something like that about women.

The male ego can be very dangerous. It's a real thing, it's been really studied and is a social and cultural phenomena.  What we call the male ego is based on long-held assumptions and stereotypes about masculinity and maleness that have social meaning and have been, for the most part, unconsciously internalized by most men. It's not a slam, it's something women need to seriously be careful of, especially given that some cultures prize machismo and reward and reinforce the behavior and it's embedded all throughout social life. It may make men uncomfortable to look at themselves and/or talk about it-- the male ego is exactly why women avoid confronting the male ego and just let men have their way because it's easier and safer. I'm a cultural anthropologist and work in violence prevention so I study and talk about this stuff all day long. 

https://www.ebony.com/news/fragile-male-ego/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/10/the-us-election-shows-that-the-wounded-male-ego-is-the-most-dang/

https://goodmenproject.com/guy-talk/beating-the-male-ego-wcz/

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/2/2020 at 11:46 AM, magemaud said:

Are they shipped discreetly in plain packaging?

The original dong in a satchel?

Edited by Mothra
"original" makes it funny
  • LOL 1
16 minutes ago, Mothra said:

The original dong in a satchel?

"As Seen on TV"! Act now and you can get TWO for the price of one, and only pay for additional shipping and handling! (handling, ugh!) 

• LOL 4
9 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

If I were Kalani, I'd insist Asuelo go to Samoa to visit his family by himself, and then really hope he didn't come back. She doesn't want to go there, and there is no way you should mess around with measles.

Asuelo is dim, but I think he plays dumb to be passive aggressive. Kalani is also dim, and falls right into it. Asuelo's "question" about the doctor being a doctor or nurse, was his way to get back at the doctor for not telling him what he wanted to hear. Kalani then admonishes him, which now Asuelo has successfully riled up and upset his wife and insulted the doctor, and is now even.

Do not underestimate the depths of pettiness and meanness that can come from the male ego. People like Asuelo who put themselves and their pride first, before other people, are beyond toxic. I'm really trying to see some good in him, but I think he'd be much happier in his country, doing his dance, and acting like a normal 24 year old with no responsibility and hooking up for love. 

If I were driving with Asuelo in the car when he just complained and took digs at American women, pouted, and called me a bitch, I would have pulled over, thrown his out, and advised him to call and uber and go home. By carting Asuelo around everywhere and trying to "teach"  him how to be a husband and father with constant mini lectures, is doing no good. Ansuelo doesn't want to be around them because he's going to get a lecture. But he goes and sticks around because he wants the perks of a vacation and free home and all the other perks that come from being supported and everything taken care of for you. IMO, Kalani and her family are just making the problem worse by putting up with his behavior and allowing him to act the way he does and say what he does. 

They put up with it and him because he's half of the couple!  Without him no more TLC paychecks!  They are on two right now and the cash is rolling in!  If they give him the heave ho!  No shows with producers, fancy cars and weekend bedbnb!  Plus expense account meals!

They'll put up with him.  The money's too good to turn down.

2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

They put up with it and him because he's half of the couple!  Without him no more TLC paychecks!  They are on two right now and the cash is rolling in!  If they give him the heave ho!  No shows with producers, fancy cars and weekend bedbnb!  Plus expense account meals!

They'll put up with him.  The money's too good to turn down.

I HOPE the family is putting up with him for business reasons, and that's why they are catering to him. I hope once the show is over they don't put up with that shit, but I'm worried that they are just going to keep it up-- this show isn't great at bringing in people to follow through on stories.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:52 PM, BradandJanet said:

Genius visa? That ploy has worked before apparently. 

I can't say about Paul's actual intelligence from the editing and the silly script. However, I've worked with first-year college students in many types of schools for decades, and I've seen enough Pauls and Paulettes from around the world to fill an ark. Most make their way in life, fortunately, and the rest end up back home with mom and dad or a relative. Good luck, Family Paul. 

As for cellos, I think they are the most beautiful and melodic of the stringed instruments. I'm not sure Kalani is a true cello, however. She seems happy banging away in the percussion section. 

I play the cello. It is beautiful, melodic, haunting and sophisticated. Kalani is no cello. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 6/26/2020 at 4:31 AM, Christina said:

Larissa's date reminded me that her delusional hypocrisy could actually be funny:

Matt: Are you into philanthropy?

Larissa: No.

Matt: Oh! [off-guard chuckle]

No reason to start your relationship on a lie, Larissa.

---

Larissa talking about her kids not coming over with her because she didn't know her ex-husband well. Larissa is telling her story and calls Colt, Coltee...

Matt: What's his name?

Larissa: Coltee

Matt: Colton?

Larissa: Coltee

Matt: Coty? Cody? Cody.

Larissa: No, Colt.

Matt: Coat? Colt?

Larissa: Yeah, Colt. It's a weird name, I know.

-----

He came across to me as knowing she wasn't being honest about the reason she gave for being arrested three times, but it's a first date so downplaying her actions is probably to be expected. 

I’m new to this but, I thought Asuelu is selfish because his need to see family was more important than the health of his children. However, after watching latest ep in U.K., I can see why he thinks it’s no big deal. Kalani clearly is an obsessive/compulsive about germs. He came from country where they don’t bleach/sterilise their houses etc to within an inch of their lives. I would never travel to a place with measles/mumps etc etc outbreak, but she clearly has issue regarding germs. She went to Dr & sterilised the seats b4 they sat on them. She had issues touching keypad. This is all b4 Covid. I can see why Asuelu thinks she is over protective as she clearly has OCD issues. However, she is right not to travel to country with measles outbreak. Had she not been OCD about germs, I believe he would understand it was the right decision. There is a reason my grandparents (b4 they died) & parents (as well as partner’s dad, aunts, uncles, cousins etc) have amazing immune systems as do my siblings (I have genetic illness that affects my immune system so I don’t count). The house wasn’t bleached or cleaned to excess, food wasn’t necessarily at its best, my mum didn’t use cleaning stuff b4 we could sit on a chair at Dr. Those children now who lived in houses where it’s excessively clean & food is thrown away if it’s not at its best don’t develop a good immune system & are “fragile, get every bug going & cant tolerate food that isn’t 100% fresh”. My friends children who live in overly clean houses are always sick from bugs. Those who live in house that is a bit messy & not overly sterile never get sick. So to conclude, had Asuelu had a wife who wasn’t OCD he would probably recognise that a measles outbreak is serious & be happy to wait to visit. All he knows is his wife is way OTT with germs on a daily basis & as a result thinks she is ruining his chance to go home. He should support his wife & children, but I see why he thinks she is OTT. Wonder how she is coping with Covid when she can’t cope with normal life regarding “germs”. Parents, don’t over clean your house. If you do, your child/children will grow up with poor immune systems, will be highly susceptible to viruses & have stomachs that can’t handle food that isn’t plain or is not fresh that day. These children have gluten intolerance, wheat intolerance & everything else intolerance. Previous generations didn’t have this. There’s a reason for that. 

• Love 2