Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Seeds Of Discontent

• Start Topic

(edited)

Asuelu must be a bit slow witted!  Remembering his dancing in the airport and now Kalani explaining to him women are doctors too!

He displays no common sense as far as taking two small children home where there is a measles outbreak and paying $3000 for plane tickets to do so!  Where is this money tree growing?  Last I remembered Kalani 's father was supporting them!

then when she picks him up from his low wage, part time job he goes to an expensive dine in and orders himself Avacado toast and not chocolate.  Nothing for the others.

It's a strange world we 're living in!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, RealReality said:

You can't tell me that at some point kalani didn't have a female doctor or there weren't female doctors milling around or that she didn't go to a practice with female doctors.  Nah dawg. 

Maybe Asuelo never went to any of Kalani's pre-natal appointments or was present for Kennedy's birth, citing that was a "woman's thing" that Samoan men didn't participate in. I can't see him attending birthing classes or being a labor coach, he might have played volleyball that night. 

• Love 5

I've changed my mind about Asuelo.  I resisted believing that he was a dim bulb, seeing as how he grew up in Paradise and had no need to understand a lot of things, like earning enough money to help support his family.  But he's lived here long enough to get the picture, and he *chooses* to spend his time playing with his friends and with video games instead of doing something--anything--that might help him qualify for a better job than giving out yogurt samples.

I've also been struggling with body shaming with regard to a bunch of people on this series.  I have studied BS at the Whitney Thore School of BBFLU, so I feel I have some authority to speak.  I think it isn't body shaming to talk about someone's fat; I think it is body shaming to talk about someone's fat to get a laugh even a smile.  So imo it's fine to point out and discuss Coltee's breasts but not OK to speculate on what size bra he needs.

Of course, the problem with that is that we are here to snark, which means to make fun of, so what's a girl to do?  And it's fun to make fun of bodies of people we don't like, and don't like for very good reasons well beyond body  issues.

Somebody please help me out with this. TIA.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

The bottom of her left breast is near the bottom of the curve at the top of Asuelo's right hand.  It's just an awkward picture.  

"Flattening the curve" takes on a whole new meaning! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
5 minutes ago, Mothra said:

I've changed my mind about Asuelo.  I resisted believing that he was a dim bulb, seeing as how he grew up in Paradise and had no need to understand a lot of things, like earning enough money to help support his family.  But he's lived here long enough to get the picture, and he *chooses* to spend his time playing with his friends and with video games instead of doing something--anything--that might help him qualify for a better job than giving out yogurt samples.

I've also been struggling with body shaming with regard to a bunch of people on this series.  I have studied BS at the Whitney Thore School of BBFLU, so I feel I have some authority to speak.  I think it isn't body shaming to talk about someone's fat; I think it is body shaming to talk about someone's fat to get a laugh even a smile.  So imo it's fine to point out and discuss Coltee's breasts but not OK to speculate on what size bra he needs.

Of course, the problem with that is that we are here to snark, which means to make fun of, so what's a girl to do?  And it's fun to make fun of bodies of people we don't like, and don't like for very good reasons well beyond body  issues.

I'd just love to help you out but right now I'm still getting over opening a new senior citizen Healthcare magazine and there are four pages of vibrators!!!!!  

It surely is a whole new 🌎!  Youser  💞

• LOL 7
32 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'd just love to help you out but right now I'm still getting over opening a new senior citizen Healthcare magazine and there are four pages of vibrators!!!!!  

Well female seniors do outnumber male seniors lol.

• LOL 4

I've been pondering this all morning...

Does anyone have any insight into why Syngin was yelling at Tania about (her) possibly having arthritis? Is it some kind of cultural thing to yell the illness right out of someone?

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

Does anyone have any insight into why Syngin was yelling at Tania about (her) possibly having arthritis? Is it some kind of cultural thing to yell the illness right out of someone?

I think the dispute was that she said that the doctor said that it could kick in as soon as two years in the future because of the accident but his recollection was that it was 20 years in the future.  But yeah maybe at 30 she might want to consider something other than bartending anyway.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

The business that Grace and Frankie founded was based on the creation of vibrators that could be comfortably used by older women with arthritis.  LOL.

By the way, what was the name and edition of that magazine you mentioned?  Asking for a friend.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

Maybe after being her back packing man for her ankle he just couldn't face arthritis!!!  I don't know??  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Asuelu must be a bit slow witted!  Remembering his dancing in the airport and now Kalani explaining to him women are doctors too!

He displays no common sense as far as taking two small children home where there is a measles outbreak and paying $3000 for plane tickets to do so!  Where is this money tree growing?  Last I remembered Kalani 's father was supporting them!

then when she picks him up from his low wage, part time job he goes to an expensive dine in and orders himself Avacado toast and not chocolate.  Nothing for the others.

It's a strange world we 're living in!

I remember when the dancing in the airport scene happened and there were several on this board that thought she was rude.  I remember thinking I would have died of embarrassment.

I think Asuelu was that exotic guy she fucked and got pregnant on an exotic location.  He was the star of the show there with his cultural dances.  If she hadn't gotten pregnant, she probably never would've seen him again.

Maybe she has love for this simpleton.  Maybe she excuses his dimness from him thinking things get lost in the translation?  Or that it's a cultural thing?

I'm hoping second baby wasn't a mistake but planned b/c she wanted a second kid and didn't want another baby daddy.  As long as the 90 day money is there, she'll keep him.  When it's done, she'll divorce him.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mothra said:

Yeah, I know what you mean about fat shaming and commenting on looks in general.  I have done both. 

I'll draw the line when it comes to an actual disorder like  Ed's Klippel Feil syndrome (KFS).   Comment on his greasy hair, his face, his grossness but having a bone disorder that he was probably made fun of growing up I can't do.

Then again, if I go through my comments, I've probably made fun of things no one can help, so I should shut it.   🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

3 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Well female seniors do outnumber male seniors lol.

The rate of seniors who get the herp in senior living facilities is awful!,

If my mother was single and going to live in a senior facility id be totally cool with her getting a purple friend....I just wouldn't want to ever see it or hear about it!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

I remember when the dancing in the airport scene happened and there were several on this board that thought she was rude.  I remember thinking I would have died of embarrassment.

I think Asuelu was that exotic guy she fucked and got pregnant on an exotic location.  He was the star of the show there with his cultural dances.  If she hadn't gotten pregnant, she probably never would've seen him again.

Maybe she has love for this simpleton.  Maybe she excuses his dimness from him thinking things get lost in the translation?  Or that it's a cultural thing?

I'm hoping second baby wasn't a mistake but planned b/c she wanted a second kid and didn't want another baby daddy.  As long as the 90 day money is there, she'll keep him.  When it's done, she'll divorce him.

You and me both sister.  But I think I wouldn't pick the guy who'd be likely to start publicly dancing at the airport, or dropping his bag and running to me, or putting down rose petals in an airport.  

I'm clearly too low key for reality TV.  If I found a guy who cleaned the car, showed up on time to pick me up and ordered a pizza from Tony's because he knew I was coming home....that's what I'd like.  

Dancing in the middle of the airport is super cringey to me 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, RealReality said:

You and me both sister.  But I think I wouldn't pick the guy who'd be likely to start publicly dancing at the airport, or dropping his bag and running to me, or putting down rose petals in an airport.  

I'm clearly too low key for reality TV.  If I found a guy who cleaned the car, showed up on time to pick me up and ordered a pizza from Tony's because he knew I was coming home....that's what I'd like.  

Dancing in the middle of the airport is super cringey to me 

I question a lot of what happens in their segments. The couple's thread has some interesting info. In particular:

Spoiler

Kalani says that Asusual's dance at the airport was TLC's idea.

• Useful 5
9 hours ago, Mothra said:

Yup.  Per the Nicene Creed (an early--fourth century--statement of what it means to be a Christian):

We believe in one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Baby Eleanor hasn't been baptized yet.  Thus, baptism in the Orthodox Church would be her one baptism.  If she had already been baptized in the Holy Trinity in a denomination acceptable to the Church, she'd be received by the sacrament of Holy Chrismation instead. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, magemaud said:

Maybe Asuelo never went to any of Kalani's pre-natal appointments or was present for Kennedy's birth, citing that was a "woman's thing" that Samoan men didn't participate in. I can't see him attending birthing classes or being a labor coach, he might have played volleyball that night. 

Now that you mention it, Oliver's and Kennedy's births may be the only ones we didn't have to see on this show or a spin-off.  (Were they featured?)  

Maybe we should thank Asuelo, or Low, for sparing us.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, magemaud said:

We hear all these Americans yelling about how they're Americans and have their own culture, so it's fine for them to drink, hug and kiss publicly, show boobage, etc. etc. and we patiently explain (if they'd only listen) that they're not in America and American cultural norms don't mean shit in Jordan.

I think Asuelo may be pulling an Ugly Samoan here, refusing to conform to the culture of the country he's moved to.  It doesn't mean shit that Samoan men aren't involved with prenatal appointments, or the birth of their children, or taking part in caring for them.  In this country, men generally don't leave their wives with both kids and bags of groceries to drag into the house while the man trips gaily ahead of them so he can get busy with World of Warcraft.  If he didn't want to embrace at least some American norms, he shouldn't have moved here.  I wish he would shape up.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Mothra said:

We hear all these Americans yelling about how they're Americans and have their own culture, so it's fine for them to drink, hug and kiss publicly, show boobage, etc. etc. and we patiently explain (if they'd only listen) that they're not in America and American cultural norms don't mean shit in Jordan.

I think Asuelo may be pulling an Ugly Samoan here, refusing to conform to the culture of the country he's moved to.  It doesn't mean shit that Samoan men aren't involved with prenatal appointments, or the birth of their children, or taking part in caring for them.  In this country, men generally don't leave their wives with both kids and bags of groceries to drag into the house while the man trips gaily ahead of them so he can get busy with World of Warcraft.  If he didn't want to embrace at least some American norms, he shouldn't have moved here.  I wish he would shape up.

That is true.  We always mock the Americans going over and shitting all over their culture.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I think the dispute was that she said that the doctor said that it could kick in as soon as two years in the future because of the accident but his recollection was that it was 20 years in the future.  But yeah maybe at 30 she might want to consider something other than bartending anyway.

I’m 49.  Have had a ton of injuries falling off horses, working, etc.  I recently dislocated my shoulder.  It popped back in after a week like a champ.  No one, including me, thinks I am so precious that I need to be carried around or warned about “possible arthritis”.   In the real world, we carry on because we are not precious and need to live our lives. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I’m 49.  Have had a ton of injuries falling off horses, working, etc.  I recently dislocated my shoulder.  It popped back in after a week like a champ.  No one, including me, thinks I am so precious that I need to be carried around or warned about “possible arthritis”.   In the real world, we carry on because we are not precious and need to live our lives. 

My VEDS causes hypermobility and chronic dislocations. It's the sister disease to brittle bone syndrome. Turning over too hard in my sleep causes my hip to dislocate, opening a door too quickly pops out my shoulder, coughing too hard and my rib pops. I have to be careful with chewing because my jaw has dislocated so many times that our local ER staff no longer even asks what's wrong-I just walk in and point to my face. It also causes early onset of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I have arthritis and/or bursitis in both hips, both knees, my back, and my neck. RA in my hands. The other lovely co-morbidities it's caused are Cranial Cervio Instability and Chiari Malformation. I've had 3 brain surgeries since 2012. I turned 40 in March.

Whoever said that Tania thought people would think that Synjin carrying her would be "cute" is right. It was not endearing, though.  She already came across as lazy and that was before. Arthritis sucks. It's painful. It's really difficult to have sympathy for someone who "might" get it in a few years, though. I work. She can find something that will work for her. Or maybe Synjin's opera career will kick in by then...

• Love 5

I'm now thinking the show is the money tree and once it's over Lanai will buy Asuala a one way ticket back to Samoa!

That's unless she's passionate for the D!  Then all bets are off.

I'm guessing the yogurt job is courtesy of a family friend to get him out of the families hair for a few hours.  He shows no signs of being a husband or father but more as one of the kids!

He exhausts me with his simpleness!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm guessing the yogurt job is courtesy of a family friend free advertising or payment from TLC so they could film Asuelu working "really hard."

Fixed it for ya!  

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, Grifter Lives said:

Now that you mention it, Oliver's and Kennedy's births may be the only ones we didn't have to see on this show or a spin-off.  (Were they featured?) 

Kahlani already had given birth to Oliver in the US when their 90 Day participation began with Asuelu arriving and mortifying her with his native dance at the airport. By the end of the season she was already pregnant again, before the wedding,  and the big drama was how to tell her family the news. Next time we saw them, Kennedy had been born. I don’t remember ever seeing any doctor’s office scenes with either both of them or Kahlani going alone. 

21 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'd just love to help you out but right now I'm still getting over opening a new senior citizen Healthcare magazine and there are four pages of vibrators!!!!

How much is the purple one and do they take PayPal? Any coupons? Group discounts? Are they shipped discreetly in plain packaging? (asking for several quarantined friends...)

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 6
15 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Kahlani already had given birth to Oliver in the US when their 90 Day participation began with Asuelu arriving and mortifying her with his native dance at the airport. By the end of the season she was already pregnant again, before the wedding,  and the big drama was how to tell her family the news. Next time we saw them, Kennedy had been born. I don’t remember ever seeing any doctor’s office scenes with either both of them or Kahlani going alone. 

How much is the purple one and do they take PayPal? Any coupons? 

Lol I don't have any idea!  I'm still pondering them!  🙂

On 6/29/2020 at 9:50 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Asuelo is an idiot, and sexist too.    He's willing to risk that babies' lives with measles, or other diseases, just so he can go home for a visit?   My guess, is he's going to go home, and expects to keep the kids there forever, and have the wife support him, and his entire family for life.   I don't know what the wife's job is, but my guess is that once the kids get to Samoa, they're not leaving, and Asuelo isn't either.       That man really doesn't care about his own children, does he?

What I don’t get is why he wants to take the children with him anyway. He keeps saying he wants them to experience his culture. They are TOO YOUNG to understand anything going on around them.  Being here or being there is all the same to them at this point.  So that argument doesn’t fly.

If his argument is that his family wants to see the kids, it appears that the only thing his family is interested in American dollars. So if he is homesick, go home and visit and leave the kids back home in the United States where they are safe from an infection that kills children.

My favorite quote remains from the movie Parenthood. “You need a license to get a dog but anybody can have a kid.“ (Although I believe there are plenty people who should never own a dog either.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Kid said:

What I don’t get is why he wants to take the children with him anyway. He keeps saying he wants them to experience his culture. They are TOO YOUNG to understand anything going on around them.  Being here or being there is all the same to them at this point.  So that argument doesn’t fly.

If his argument is that his family wants to see the kids, it appears that the only thing his family is interested in American dollars. So if he is homesick, go home and visit and leave the kids back home in the United States where they are safe from an infection that kills children.

My favorite quote remains from the movie Parenthood. “You need a license to get a dog but anybody can have a kid.“ (Although I believe there are plenty people who should never own a dog either.)

Also, he keeps saying the kids will just stay in the hotel room.  How are they going to experience his culture in a hotel room?  Why would you fly them to another country to stay in a hotel?

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
(edited)

My guess is that when Asuelo gets the wife and kids to Samoa, he'll never leave.   He wants to raise his kids there, and that's his only goal.   I'm betting Asuelo will dump the kids on relatives to raise.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is that when Asuelo gets the wife and kids to Samoa, he'll never leave.   He wants to raise his kids there, and that's his only goal.  

I don't think he wants to raise his kids at all. 

I honestly think kalani would be better if asuelu just stayed in Samoa.  He barely helps with the kids, he can't be bringing in much cash working part time handing out yogurt.  Even if he has another job it's unlikely to be anything that is generating much income.  

Kalani can live with her parents, who are helpful and I think she can meet another guy.  

I'd envision someone on Lo's crew.  I think kalani would like more of a traditional relationship.  Maybe with a divorced single father? 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, RealReality said:

I honestly think kalani would be better if asuelu just stayed in Samoa.  He barely helps with the kids, he can't be bringing in much cash working part time handing out yogurt.  Even if he has another job it's unlikely to be anything that is generating much income.  

Kalani can live with her parents, who are helpful and I think she can meet another guy.  

I'd envision someone on Lo's crew.  I think kalani would like more of a traditional relationship.  Maybe with a divorced single father? 

I agree.  Asuelo is so childlike to me, I can’t imagine being sexually attracted to him.  JMO.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 11:39 AM, Neurochick said:

Larissa WAS pretty, before she did all that shit to her face.

Tania is just disgusting.  I had surgery on my foot in 2015,  I could not stand on my foot for one month, I had a cast from my foot to my knee.  I had a knee walker, sort of like a scooter.  I had a shower chair.  I live alone and I was able to show all by myself, to cook all by myself.  

Tania is just lazy. 

Tania is getting as much mileage from Syngin as she can. Syngin does seem like a natural caregiver. Maybe he could be a nurse or something similar?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, RealReality said:

This is where discussing Show Aseulu gets complicated for me. Show Aseulu appears to simply be handing out yogurt samples which, of course, can't provide a life for his family. But Reality Aseulu is doing much more than that and probably IS making decent money at his real jobs. They do this with several of the cast members: Beekeeper Anna, Angry Andrei, Blake..

No way would I continue doing this show knowing that they were going to conveniently ignore my actual employment and keep portraying me as a lazy loser. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

Tania is getting as much mileage from Syngin as she can. Syngin does seem like a natural caregiver. Maybe he could be a nurse or something similar?

A caregiverer?

• LOL 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

Maybe he could be a nurse or something similar?

"Hospice worker" appears to be a popular job on this franchise and I can actually see Syngin being better suited to it than Angela and certainly more so than Lisa. 

Oops, make that "hospice workerer" 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

I wouldn't want a nurse who runs his hands through his hair every five seconds treating my wounds.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I wouldn't want a nurse who runs his hands through his hair every five seconds treating my wounds.

Not even if he gives you a piggyback ride to the shower?

• LOL 8
21 hours ago, mamadrama said:

This is where discussing Show Aseulu gets complicated for me. Show Aseulu appears to simply be handing out yogurt samples which, of course, can't provide a life for his family. But Reality Aseulu is doing much more than that and probably IS making decent money at his real jobs. They do this with several of the cast members: Beekeeper Anna, Angry Andrei, Blake..

No way would I continue doing this show knowing that they were going to conveniently ignore my actual employment and keep portraying me as a lazy loser. 

But how do we know he is doing that?  We only know what the show tells us. 

• Love 1
On 7/3/2020 at 3:19 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

He pets his hair almost as much as Darcey pets her extensions.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

If I were Kalani, I'd insist Asuelo go to Samoa to visit his family by himself, and then really hope he didn't come back. She doesn't want to go there, and there is no way you should mess around with measles.

Asuelo is dim, but I think he plays dumb to be passive aggressive. Kalani is also dim, and falls right into it. Asuelo's "question" about the doctor being a doctor or nurse, was his way to get back at the doctor for not telling him what he wanted to hear. Kalani then admonishes him, which now Asuelo has successfully riled up and upset his wife and insulted the doctor, and is now even.

Do not underestimate the depths of pettiness and meanness that can come from the male ego. People like Asuelo who put themselves and their pride first, before other people, are beyond toxic. I'm really trying to see some good in him, but I think he'd be much happier in his country, doing his dance, and acting like a normal 24 year old with no responsibility and hooking up for love. 

If I were driving with Asuelo in the car when he just complained and took digs at American women, pouted, and called me a bitch, I would have pulled over, thrown his out, and advised him to call and uber and go home. By carting Asuelo around everywhere and trying to "teach"  him how to be a husband and father with constant mini lectures, is doing no good. Ansuelo doesn't want to be around them because he's going to get a lecture. But he goes and sticks around because he wants the perks of a vacation and free home and all the other perks that come from being supported and everything taken care of for you. IMO, Kalani and her family are just making the problem worse by putting up with his behavior and allowing him to act the way he does and say what he does. 

Edited by bravofan27
  • Love 7