Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: I Like Big Boats and I Cannot Lie

• Start Topic

Below Deck Mediterranean returns for its fifth season with Captain Sandy Yawn at the helm of the mega-yacht Wellington, cruising one of the most desired yachting locations in the Mediterranean: Mallorca, Spain. After earning the Lead Deckhand title in season 2, Malia returns as Captain Sandy’s first female Bosun, a role she hopes to grow into while commanding respect from her all-male deck team. Brazilian Chef, Kiko, tries to make a good first impression while having to overcome Captain Sandy’s skepticism from last charter season’s galley struggles. Hannah returns as Chief Stew in a new stage of her life, but immediately finds herself challenged by an experienced Second Stew. When the first guests arrive, cracks begin to surface as Hannah attempts to maintain control of her team.

Airs June 1, 2020.

2 hours ago, snarts said:

Hannah announced via her Instagram story that this is her last season.

I don’t mind Hannah but I think that is wise.  I’d like to see a different Chief stew.  Hannah just doesn’t seem to like doing it anymore so it doesn’t make it enjoyable to watch her.

• Love 19

I always hate to make positive judgements based on the first episode, but if Lara is going to calmly get under Hannah’s skin without actually doing anything wrong - she will be my hero.

• LOL 5
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:
9 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

Yeah, but in her defense, she was 100% spot on with her assessment

I should have waited a few minutes to post. Dude seems like a total douche!

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

People have shared some of his IG comments on FB and that might be an understatement.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

All I'm asking for is that Rob not be an asshole. 

Because I'm finding him to be hot.  And I dont want him to ruin that. 

Rob's the former model.  I may have his name wrong.  But I'm not wrong about him being hot!

Edited by dosodog
  • LOL 10
  • Love 6

Lara is going to be a problem this season. Malia needs to nip whatever behavior she doesn’t like in the bud. I don’t think the lead deckhand means anything offensive by calling her sweetie, but if she doesn’t like it she should say something now. These guests seem super laid back for the most part. I get where the primary is coming from because I hate dried steaks as well. At least he wasn’t a diva about it, he only complained once Sandy asked them how their food was. I see Sandy jumped right into micromanaging mode with the food. She would have been perfect for Jenna.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
35 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

I didn't see what you posted before you edited, but yeah, he's a total douche, so we can totally agree on this!

Does Sandy have a back up chef on call? Cuz her apparent mission to have guests off to a bitching start is looking ugly right off the bat. That being said, Chef really needs to work a bit faster. 

Lara's a bitch and doesn't seem to want to do the job of a stew. Doesn't want to do the table decor, doesn't want to do turn down. She's reminding me of the stew who showed up last year saying the boat was a dump. 

• Love 14
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It’s was 2019 and the workplace it’s the definition of a micro aggression that would be taught in most mandatory harassment trainings.

Yachting seems to be a completely different ballgame. As a female (due to my culture) I wouldn’t have taken offense to it because I grew up with both genders calling each other sweetie, sweetheart and darling. She most likely doesn’t want to come across as bitchy by speaking up which I understand. However as their boss she should try to redirect any behavior she doesn’t like right away so that it doesn’t become an issue later on.

• Love 5

I think calling Malia Sweetie is condescending to the max. Of course Malia has to be competent if she is going to get respect. Her handling of the lines was a shit show of the first order. 

Pete seems to be a know it all who thinks he is God’s gift to yachting. And women.  You need to take a douche like that down at the get go.

• Love 16

Did someone shrink Hannah’s epaulet shirt, that button was barely holding on.

Those crew cabins are tiny. I would feel like I was in an MRI if I was in that top bunk. So if Hannah planned for the bosun to bunk with the chef, who was she originally going to have room with her?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

I hope that sweetie slips out when he's talking to Sandy.  And she throws him overboard.  Totally inappropriate.

I saw a preview where Pete calls her “Sugar Tits.”

Sandy corrected him on the spot.

”That’s Captain Sugar Tits!”

• LOL 21
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, dangwoodchucks said:

Did someone shrink Hannah’s epaulet shirt, that button was barely holding on.

I noticed that too. Hannah has a large chest  but she quit smoking last year so I think she gained a little weight (would love to look like Hannah). I quit cold turkey almost two years ago after 21 years & I cannot shake the 15 lbs I gained & it’s harder to figure out my sizes. I felt bad for her but mostly because I am sympathetic to anyone who quits because I spent about six months falling into crying spells & eating. 

Pete makes my skin crawl. I want to throw him & his glasses & his condescending sweeties overboard. I work in a male dominated industry & I have never let a sweetheart slide by without letting them know it annoyed me (first time nice, second time not).

Rob reminds me of Jeff from Southern Charm NOLA. I like his cheesy jokes. 

• Love 16
(edited)
2 hours ago, spunky said:

Lara is going to be a problem this season. Malia needs to nip whatever behavior she doesn’t like in the bud. I don’t think the lead deckhand means anything offensive by calling her sweetie, but if she doesn’t like it she should say something now. These guests seem super laid back for the most part. I get where the primary is coming from because I hate dried steaks as well. At least he wasn’t a diva about it, he only complained once Sandy asked them how their food was. I see Sandy jumped right into micromanaging mode with the food. She would have been perfect for Jenna.

They start with the antagonism early, Hanna vs. Lara and Malia vs. Pete.  It's something the producers have done before, with second in command challenging the chief stew and bosun.

Like every other season of a BD show and like every other Bravo show, there will always be conflict, confrontations.

So we shouldn't be surprised, though they usually don't start it until a couple of episodes into a season.

And of course, Sandy is going to throw out the warning about being fired.  Again, do real-life charter boats turn over the crew?  Unless they have a lot of time in between charters, probably not?  So I'm thinking this is a BD thing, not a real life charter industry thing.

Now they made it a thing for Sandy to check on the food in every damn meal, run back and forth between the dining room and the galley.  She probably cares in a general sense if the "guests" are enjoying their meals but she doesn't care that much to be running back and forth.

The producers don't even try to hide their moves any more.

Oh well, looking forward to seeing a lot of Mallorca.

Will see how the season unfolds but it appears Malia went and got a lot of experience.  Sounds like they got actual yachties among the new faces, not stunt casting for TV show.

This yacht is bigger but the crew cabins are actually smaller?

Edited by scrb
  • Love 9
(edited)

I cannot stand Captain Sandy.  Hasn't she said in previous seasons that she isn't a micromanager?  She certainly seems to enjoying being one now.  And I love how she thinks she is the one who let Hannah return.  That was Bravo's decision.  I'm going to try to watch, but I don't know if I can.  I dislike Sandy even more than Rylee from Below Deck.

Pete is a major tool.  Muscles don't make you automatically cool dude!

Surprised to see Hannah back, she is clearly over it.  At least Kate seemed to buckle down and do the work unlike Hannah.

Malia seems competent, we'll see how she does.  Does she want to be a captain someday?  Do people usually work their way up like she appears to be doing?

Edited by KLJ
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, jmcd44 said:

I noticed that too. Hannah has a large chest  but she quit smoking last year so I think she gained a little weight (would love to look like Hannah). I quit cold turkey almost two years ago after 21 years & I cannot shake the 15 lbs I gained & it’s harder to figure out my sizes. I felt bad for her but mostly because I am sympathetic to anyone who quits because I spent about six months falling into crying spells & eating. 

I quit smoking 20 years ago, unfortunately none of the weight I gained went to my chest lol

Good for her for quitting, but you would think they would have made sure her uniforms fit. It reminded me of Dodge’s comment to Lt Lake in “Down Periscope” when the guys shrunk her uniform, “Lt Lake...you’re...almost out of uniform.”

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, KLJ said:

I cannot stand Captain Sandy.  Hasn't she said in previous seasons that she isn't a micromanager?  She certainly seems to enjoying being one now.  And I love how she thinks she is the one who let Hannah return.  That was Bravo's decision.

Sandy uses every opportunity to get more screen time.

And I guarantee Hannah has more pull with Bravo than Sandy.  She could probably get another captain on the show if she wanted.  There are probably dozens eager for the TV time.  I doubt she could do it with one phone call but it could be done. 

Meanwhile, if Sandy tried to fire Hannah, production would shut down until either Bravo explained to Sandy who's really in charge, or another captain was found.

• Love 11
(edited)
6 hours ago, spunky said:

Yachting seems to be a completely different ballgame

Even those yahoos have to go through a certification course to be on this show that in addition to safety protocol includes harassment training. At 27 Peter probably had to do a harassment training of some sort for any job he has ever had including this one. He knows what he is doing and why he is doing it. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, scrb said:

Now they made it a thing for Sandy to check on the food in every damn meal, run back and forth between the dining room and the galley.

After the culinary trauma that was Mila, I don’t blame her one bit.

If I were bosun and my subordinate called me “sweetie,” I’d make him scrub the deck with his toothbrush. If he did it again he’s fired. She’s not your sweetie, she’s your boss.

• LOL 2
  • Love 20
6 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

So if Hannah planned for the bosun to bunk with the chef, who was she originally going to have room with her?

I remember Eddie and the chef sharing a cabin, maybe it is a department head type of pairing.  Maybe Hannah would share with the first stew like Kate always did.

• Love 3

So Lara said it's her 7th or 8th season, and she's worked on "45 yachts." 

Does that mean she's someone who gets hired on to some rich person's yacht when they go for a couple week "outing" rather than being assigned for the season to a "rentable yacht"?

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Malia looks totally over her head. She has to stop douche bro in his tracks when he called her sweetie.

She doesn’t look like she is up to the job.

I agree that Malia is not starting off well. She's very focused on wanting the deck crew to treat her like one of the boys. That was all well and good when she was just a deckhand. But now that she's bosun, she needs to focus way more on getting them to treat her like a superior. Not addressing the "sweetheart" comment immediately was a big mistake.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Even those yahoos have to go through a certification course to be on this show that in addition to safety protocol includes harassment training. At 27 Peter probably had to do a harassment training of some sort for any job he has ever had including this one. He knows what he is doing and why he is doing it. 

I guess I didn't pay much attention to his extra behavior since he wasn't Ashton level disgusting.  I'm rooting for Malia and hoping that she kills it as the first female bosun on this show.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I think calling Malia Sweetie is condescending to the max. Of course Malia has to be competent if she is going to get respect. Her handling of the lines was a shit show of the first order. 

Pete seems to be a know it all who thinks he is God’s gift to yachting. And women.  You need to take a douche like that down at the get go.

I do agree that she needs to nip it in the bud. I also think that she doesn't want to be perceived as "a bitch". I get it because when you work in a male dominated field and you speak up or you're the boss sometimes you get labeled as difficult or someone that no one wants to work with.  Righr now she's trying the be their friend and their boss way of management. 

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Jsage said:

But now that she's bosun, she needs to focus way more on getting them to treat her like a superior. 

There were a couple times she needed to push back more. Right after she said Pete was lead deckhand, he "addressed" the rest of the guys as if he's more on par with her. He should have just nodded. And when she noted to him that he'd been a captain and she hadn't, he said something along the lines of "I'm sure you'll catch on." Unnecessary. And she told him something along the lines of "when I need you to take over, I'll let you know" she needed to add "and when I haven't asked, you're NOT in charge, I am."

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I hope that sweetie slips out when he's talking to Sandy.  And she throws him overboard.  Totally inappropriate.

She should have responded with "okay sugarbuns" just once.  That'd probably be all it took.

10 hours ago, jmcd44 said:

Rob reminds me of Jeff from Southern Charm NOLA. I like his cheesy jokes. 

Yes! I thought so too.

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

so that filet mignon, with the truffle risotto--

Not a single vegetable on the plate? That's just strange.

I told my husband that the plate desperately needed a colorful addition, at least a garnish.

• Love 10
(edited)
7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I remember Eddie and the chef sharing a cabin, maybe it is a department head type of pairing.  Maybe Hannah would share with the first stew like Kate always did.

Originally Kate and the Chef Leon we’re sharing but she couldn’t stand him so she switched rooms with Eddie.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, PaperTree said:

I'm in love with Chef Kiko!

Kiko needs to work on time management skills.

I'm still undecided on the two male deck hands.  Peter's language sucks but he seems to be working.  Hopefully he'll grow a bit.   The other one, the male model with the cheekbones that can cut glass, he really needs to learn the ropes...literally...but seems like he's working.

I hope Lara gets fired at the end of this first charter.  Her attitude is exhausting.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

so that filet mignon, with the truffle risotto--

Not a single vegetable on the plate? That's just strange.

I thought the portions were tiny.  Especially the first meal.  And they said they were starving.  He needs to put out lots more food, even if it’s a salad

• Love 14

This crew looks much older than the usual BD crew. Malia needs to tell douchebro to knock off the sweetheart shit. So disrespectful. I’m not impressed with the Chef.  Portions are tiny and look like bad wedding food. Is Ben waiting in the wings?  Sandy is as thirsty as ever for screen time. Is she going to be standing over the chef for every meal?  That would push me over the edge. Hannah just seems so over the job. Lara will drive her crazy. That could be fun! 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Lara's a bitch and doesn't seem to want to do the job of a stew. Doesn't want to do the table decor, doesn't want to do turn down. She's reminding me of the stew who showed up last year saying the boat was a dump. 

She reminds me of Hannah, who doesn't want to do the job of stew, do table décor, do turndowns, etc.  

Although I like her more than Hannah and as @TexasGal said above, if Lara gets under Hannah's skin, she's my hero.  

The Boston guy who said "unit" about 500 times is already on my last good nerve.  Rob, the former model, is hot.  I wasn't sure about Jessica but she seems okay and she seems to be a worker.  

Love the chef!  He didn't make a negative comment about having to prepare a second steak for a guest, he has a sense of humor and Sandy likes his food.  

• Love 9