Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E11: This Is Extortion

festivus
  • Start Topic

One castaway plays double agent and goes undercover to infiltrate a group they want to vote out. One player who has been playing it cool finally goes to work to search for an idol.

Dammit.

At least she took it well. But still, dammit.

And I can't even be mad about it because it was good gameplay.

But DAMMMMMITTTT

I have never liked Tony but he made me laugh tonight when he talked about paying "the vig."

Don't exactly understand what happened but Jeremy believed Tony, and survived.  Sophie, damn girl, why didn't you play your idol?

Did Kim orchestrate the vote?  I love her!  Go Kim.

• Love 3

Damn. Good blindside. Going out with an idol in your pocket will never not be funny. At least Sophie took it well.

I enjoyed this episode. Enjoyed Tony scrambling for the tokens and the chaos before tribal council. Also thought it was a good move for Tony and Nick to earn Jeremy's trust by going through with the Sophie blindside. Sarah and Ben might be pissed. 

I can't help but think though that part of this move is that Tony is probably a great guy but sort of a bros before hos type of dude. He might just feel more comfortable around Jeremy. Of course his move exposed Kim and Denise so it was a good move game-wise. But I'd say it's 50% gameplay, 50% "I like Jeremy better because he's my kind of guy."

I kind of wish Tony didn't become the Boston Rob v. 2.0 in terms of monopolizing the confessionals. I get that Survivor needs a narrator and certain people (Rob Cesternino, Cirie, Russell, Boston Rob, Sandra, Tony) naturally make good narrators but I would have liked to see more thought processes from people.

• Love 7

Loved the blindside and it made sense to split up Sarah and Sophie.  Sophie was not high on my list last week when she announced to her crew in Tribal Council that they should all get up, go over to the side, and decide together who should be voted out.  It really bugged me — felt very schoolyard ringleader stuff.  I know others probably liked that, but I definitely did not.

• Love 23

Jeremy seemed to it personally that everyone wanted to vote him out. He looked totally pissed all throughout Tribal Council. I’m glad he gave in and decided to go with Tony. I wish Kim & Denise hadn’t turned on him but they felt it was their best option. I’m surprised that Sophie went because she was hardly in the episode. I think the editors have stopped (this season) giving the person being voted out a big send off episode. That said, I much prefer Jeremy win over Tony. Although, Tony was on fire tonight he might burn out before the Finale night. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Dammit.

At least she took it well. But still, dammit.

And I can't even be mad about it because it was good gameplay.

But DAMMMMMITTTT

Tony did a good job orchestrating that, though not sure it was worth the risk.  He did expose to Jeremy that people were gunning for him.  But he also screwed over his ally Sarah, and Ben may be pissed, too.  So he may have just opened the door for Kim to get numbers on her side.  At this point I think Denise, Nick, and Michele are going whichever way the wind is blowing.

Of course, the logic may be Tony burned bridges tonight, so take him to the end because he won't win.

Despite an honest to goodness blindside for once, I'm pretty meh on this season.  This group of winners has been pretty dull, and I realize how lucky some of these people got to win in their original seasons.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, susannot said:

No. It was Tony’s idea to blindslide Sophie. Tony, Jeremy, Michelle & Nick all voted Sophie. Ben, Denise, Kim, Sarah & Sophie voted Jeremy & Michelle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

That SUUUUCKS for Sophie, especially she was my number one female to win. But that was a damn good move by Tony. He played VERY well tonight. I am impressed with his moves. He absolutely built up his resume tonight. 

Jeremy was playing dumb for most of the episode, but him being annoyed with Ben did earn him a couple of points. Plus, thank goodness he did believe Tony, for his own game. But he really didn't have any other choice. That was also the most sincere we've heard from Tony. 

The Extortion Advantage was a good one. But Nick, Ben, and Jeremy shouldn't have just handed Tony one token each, as they can't guarantee that Tony would ever repay the favour. If he didn't win immunity, none of them would likely have gotten their tokens back. I wonder which two of the three got the token repayment.

I can't blame Kim for swapping sides with Denise. 

• Love 5

Can anyone articulate a path for a Kim win?  Right now Tony is getting a winners edit like I've never seen before but like someone said in the episode  (I think it was  Denise, a dark horse) "Tony is putting a target on his back."

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I can't help but think though that part of this move is that Tony is probably a great guy but sort of a bros before hos type of dude. He might just feel more comfortable around Jeremy.

Doubtful this is what that vote was about. I think he was telling the truth that it had to do with how close Sarah and Sophie were and wanting to break it up. Because remember Sarah is technically supposed to be his #1.

He didn't want to risk her bonding too close with Sophie and her potentially shifting to Sophie down the road, instead of sticking with him. And this was the perfect time to do it because Sophie never saw it coming. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 20
16 minutes ago, susannot said:

How did you figure this when Kim was clearly shown making it clear she was okay with them having to go for Jeremy. Kim and Denise were solidly on the vote for Jeremy plan. 

• Love 4
Just now, truthaboutluv said:

How did you figure this when Kim was clearly shown making it clear she was okay with them having to go for Jeremy. Kim and Denise were solidly on the vote for Jeremy plan. 

Wishful thinking.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I just find Tony so exhausting.

I can't imagine dealing with him in real life. 

Yup, s******.  I'm telling you, when Trish said at the Final Tribal Council that she was essentially Tony's spazz wrangler, keeping him from going off the deep end and blowing up both of their games, I believed her. 

Granted his flip flopping game didn't hurt him in the end but yeah, Tony played a really s******, all over the place, almost exhausting to watch game in Cagayan. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, susannot said:

Can anyone articulate a path for a Kim win?  Right now Tony is getting a winners edit like I've never seen before but like someone said in the episode  (I think it was  Denise, a dark horse) "Tony is putting a target on his back."

I think Kim said that about Tony. 

Denise also compared herself to a double agent, though, which made me wonder if that would go somewhere.

• Love 2

That really does suck ! First, because I like Sophie better than most of the others, but also because Tony got his way. I hated that he won his season and I hope this bites him in the ass hard. He's suppose to be tight with Sarah, but what that really means to him, I think, is convincing her to do what he wants. If not, he does whatever he want to, anyway. Some alliance ! Of course, now Jeremy will be his puppet. 

The way they left it, it looked like Jeremy didn't believe Tony. Then at tribal, apparently he did. I really thought he'd be the one out, surprised me there.

• Love 6

Finally a decent episode. I can understand Tony, Jeremy, and Michelle’s vote but I don’t get what Nick was thinking. Is Nick certain he is at the bottom of that alliance? Tony will catch most of the heat but people are going to want to know who the fourth vote was.  

I am glad Jeremy is still in the game but damn is he in trouble. 

Tony is the player who would drive me crazy. My god is his energy all over the place but he played that perfectly. The late conversations and the blind side. It was brilliant.

• Love 11
Just now, ProfCrash said:

Finally a decent episode. I can understand Tony, Jeremy, and Michelle’s vote but I don’t get what Nick was thinking. Is Nick certain he is at the bottom of that alliance? Tony will catch most of the heat but people are going to want to know who the fourth vote was.  

Tony is the player who would drive me crazy. My god is his energy all over the place but he played that perfectly. The late conversations and the blind side. It was brilliant.

Agree but now he will be the biggest target.  If he does not win immunity next time I can see a unanimous ouster.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Jeremy seemed annoyed at the last minute strategy sess, but thankfully for him it worked out.  He looked really sour tonight.  He really put himself on the bottom at the last TC, although he had a valid reason for leaving (and saved himself in the process).  As other people have said, I like watching Tony the TV character, but if I had to live out there with him, I'd go crazy.  Of everyone left, though, I find him the most entertaining.  

Did Michele vote Sophie?  I guess I forgot she was in on that.  So it was Kim/Denise/Sarah/Sophie/Ben voting between Jeremy and Michele, and Michele/Nick/Jeremy/Tony voting for Sophie?  I guess this was a case where it didn't pay to split the vote.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I have no idea whether this is true but I got the distinct vibe that Sophie/Sarah/Ben aren't that pleasant to be around. I think Nick is sort of at the bottom no matter what, he might have just decided to go with the group that's more pleasant. No idea but that was my guess.

• Love 7

What I want to know is what that little snippet of Tyson saying to Wendell that Adam won't be able to handle losing was all about. It felt like they were laying a foundation for something that's gonna happen but I can't imagine a superfan like Adam bailing on the game before it was done, even if it's to be a jury member.

Jeremy: "Everything Ben does annoys me."

giphy.gif

• LOL 9
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, susannot said:

Agree but now he will be the biggest target.  If he does not win immunity next time I can see a unanimous ouster.

Tony found a hidden idol so he is safe next week. And he seems to be able to wiggle out of trouble. Jeremy and Michelle are not going to work with Kim or Denise after this vote. Jeremy won’t work with Ben. So Tony has two votes for a while. Nick seems to be very tight with Tony.

So it is 4 vs 4 and Tony has the idol.  

I think Sarah will be angry and then chill. Hopefully Ben goes next.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I have no idea whether this is true but I got the distinct vibe that Sophie/Sarah/Ben aren't that pleasant to be around.

I do remember in Sophie's winning season, by the Final Tribal Council, she was the "well, we guess she's probably the least annoying of the three" vote.

The jury was fully ready to vote for Ozzy, but he came up short at the final immunity challenge. And I remember at least one or two jury members calling Sophie smug and condescending during their question. She got pretty hammered. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8

Wow...I was actually nodding off during the twenty minute Tony-Fest at the start of the show. I was revived briefly by the appearance of Natalie...damn that woman is cut. True eye candy there and too bad she went out episode one.

Watching Jeremy talking himself into nearly getting voted out was a thing of beauty.

Half the fun in reality shows is watching a twist flame out spectacuarly weather it a player failing to build a life size  puzzle made out of four or five pieces, running to a Fast Forward that is already taken or here tonight...the Extortion twist. Zero came of it as Tony was able to compete and win no less and then vote instead of being sidelined which is no doubt what who ever dreamed that up was hoping for when he/she sold the idea to the producers.

Bye Sophie....wish it was Ben and his nasty beard talking the walk of shame.

• Love 7

Jeremy seems in over his head. He had hours to expect blowback from the tribal council he left his alliance to deal with, and they delivered it, and two days later he's somehow not looking for cracks in Kim and Denise's facade?

want to echo that Tony pulled off something masterful. He learned from being voted out early in Game Changers.  He’s laid low and played his way into a game starting point where more than half the players are on EoE. The path to the final is clearer and he’s got a group of 4 with 8 players left. Plus he's the one calling the shots in that group.

I wonder how much more Parvati and Natalie could have extorted if they had asked for more. 8? 

Apparently Jeremy didn’t check back in with Kim and Denise. I wonder why? They weren’t strongly aligned with Sophies faction, and Tony's word (anyone's word) should not be enough to go on. 

• Love 5

Something is gonna go down with Adam. Tyson telegraphed that. And Sopie seemed to take her blindside badly. I said at the end..."Sophie, go talk to Adam". Cause it seems they will both be losing their shit over where they went wrong. 

Why da eff did Jeremy give a token to Tony? Why? I was screaming at the TV...'no, don't do it....don't'. Surprised Tony didn't pull a Parv viscous slitting throat (Erik) and oust Jeremy. Really thought that was coming. Tony really is all about a meat shield. And Ben ain't it...I guess. Lol.

Edited by Lamima

I don't understand why Jeremy was so quick to believe Tony and give him a token.  Jeremy was already suspicious of him yet still gave him a token?  Do the ones who gave him a token know who else gave him tokens?  Clearly he is going to have to stiff one of them.

I would think Tony should have a good idea that he's probably not very popular with at least some of the people on the Edge.  Natalie and Parvati basically chose the person they liked the least that would make the biggest scene.

I thought it was interesting that Sophie fully admits that she is a "bottom tier winner".  Unlike Michelle, who seems annoyed that people say she didn't deserve to win her season.

With Sophie gone, I hope Sarah is next.  I'd love to see Sarah and Tony try and take each other out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

When I met Ben on Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers, he was a friend. Seemed like a good guy. But now, everything he does annoys me.

I am Jeremy.

Ben vs. Jeremy reminds me of the old-school Survivor rivalries that seemed to erupt out of nowhere and became a running theme throughout the season. 

Shambo vs. Laura. Shane vs. Courtney. Shii Ann vs. Penny. 

Rivalries that had nothing to do with game in particular. Just people who can't stand each other.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Lamima said:

Something is gonna go down with Adam. Tyson telegraphed that.

I mean, he's voted out. Unless he raises the flag?

Sophie has every right to question herself and wonder where she went wrong. She was voted out in a split vote blindside that seemed to be Tony's flight of fancy, and if Tony had ten more minutes, he'd have come up with a different target. She had an idol, she had the numbers, she did everything right. There's no way to prepare for what happened to her.

If Adam said he wanted to go over where he went wrong, I'd be like, "how long do you have?"

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

Well, this might be the most Tony episode ever. He scrambles, gets a hidden idol, gets targeted for extortion by Natalie and Parvati, talks people into giving him fire tokens, wins immunity again, then organizes a blindside on Sophie, who may have had her idol in her crotch. I swear, I think that’s what she said while walking away.

I get why Tony would get eyerolls, but he’s fun to watch. He runs around like a dork and comes off as hyper, but he hustles. We got to see him giddily jump to the conclusion that he’d be the one shaking down another player . . . and then he reached that last sentence. That right there? TV gold.

I’m still not feeling too invested in this season, but at least tonight was fun. And we got to see Adam look like he was contemplate bailing, which seems about right to me.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

What I want to know is what that little snippet of Tyson saying to Wendell that Adam won't be able to handle losing was all about. It felt like they were laying a foundation for something that's gonna happen but I can't imagine a superfan like Adam bailing on the game before it was done, even if it's to be a jury member.

Yeah, kind of like how they showed Adam randomly looking around the voting booth a few weeks ago. They were laying a foundation for the big “Adam looks for idols in the dumbest places like Probst’s podium” scene. They must have thrown in that comment from Tyson for a reason.

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Despite an honest to goodness blindside for once, I'm pretty meh on this season.  This group of winners has been pretty dull, and I realize how lucky some of these people got to win in their original seasons.

It doesn’t help that almost every single big personality, like them or hate them, is now sitting on EoE. Even good players like Kim and Denise are as interesting as watching paint dry.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 17
21 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yeah, kind of like how they showed Adam randomly looking around the voting booth a few weeks ago. They were laying a foundation for the big “Adam looks for idols in the dumbest places like Probst’s podium” scene. They must have thrown in that comment from Tyson for a reason.

It doesn’t help that almost every single big personality, like them or hate them, is now sitting on EoE. Even good players like Kim and Denise are as interesting as watching paint dry.

Kim (especially Kim) and, Denise are my favorites but this season they look so tired. I guess it’s because they were on the bottom the whole game and we’re not used to it. I wouldn’t say they are paint drying but they ain’t setting the season on fire either.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3

Really bummed Sophie was blindsided with an idol. I felt so bad for her as she got her torch snuffed and she was upset. She made it pretty far, though.

Gee, Tony happens to find an idol, yawn. Too much of the "Tony Show" this episode. He's got good game, I'll give him that, I guess.

Don’t know about anybody else, but IMHO I’m pretty certain Sophie’s “Need to take the idol out of my crotch now” qualifies as the best TC departing line in the history of Survivor EVER. 🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 7
  • Love 13

Nick is the biggest goat right now and Ben has to be number two. I don’t see a path to win for either or those two. Denise has taken a big back seat but that might work to her advantage, no one is talking about voting her out. 

I love Tony and I’ve been ecstatic every week he is still in the game. He really learned from his brief stint on GC. He may save this season. But who knows, he could get voted out next week with an idol in his pocket, but I think Tony is too observant and paranoid for that. 

The extortion advantage was entertaining but I’m not sure if I really like it, I’m not crazy about the Edge people having so much influence over the game but I did like that we finally saw someone have to beg for fire tokens. 

• Love 9

Guys Cirie Fields' instagram does these hilarious endearing color commentary. Check it out. Tbh I;m so relieved that Cirie on SM is exactly the same Cirie we see in the game -- sharp, funny, awesome. And she still works at a nurse too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I'm torn.

I'm on the side of finding Tony endlessly entertaining. He has so much joy in the game. Everything is so big with him, and I can definitely see how people can hate that, but I kind of dig it with him. 

I just wish he hadn't gone after Sophie. I liked Sophie on her original season and I liked her here too. I really enjoyed the Sarah/Sophie duo.

Jeremy was right there. Ben was right there. Hell, I would've been more than fine with Michele.  I'm sad about Sophie. And I really dislike Nick. Not as much as Ben or Michele. He's maybe third.

I guessing I'm rooting for anyone not Nick, Ben or Michele. Or Rob who I assume has been given 20 advantages by now to return.

Things I enjoyed about this episode: 1) the fashion show, 2) Natalie once again being awesome (she'll be asked back, right?) 3) what was Nick's nickname? Vampire Donathan?

My mom missed the episode but I'm sure she's still a Ben fan. I asked her today if she liked or disliked anyone else.

Mom: You know who I didn't like? Not this season, but maybe the last one. There was this Indian woman and she didn't do anything. Not in challenges and just sat there.

Got it. Ben and Boston Rob are good. Karishma's on your list.

(in all fairness, she didn't watch the whole season and I think she tapped out before all the ugliness started)

• Love 5