Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Cuts Both Ways

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

At least they met organically,

Organically? They almost certainly met at a hooker bar. Because those are the only bars in Bangkok a whoremonger like David would go to and where a Thai woman would talk to David.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, gavinmac said:

Organically? They almost certainly met at a hooker bar. Because those are the only bars in Bangkok a whoremonger like David would go to and where a Thai woman would talk to David.

See, I was not following them as close I as I do now, but I thought they met while he was living and working in Thailand?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, gavinmac said:

Courtney and Antonio, Sean and Abby, Patrick and Myriam.   I think all the Filipinas so far have gotten married or are still in the relationship and waiting to get married (Hazel).

You're right.  My head was more on the couples that have actually made it to the US.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

See, I was not following them as close I as I do now, but I thought they met while he was living and working in Thailand?

They did, but his job was a slightly shady come to Thailand and meet chicks thing.  Unlike Russ who was working in the oil industry and met Paola out at a club one night.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Wasn't he "working" there for Chris showing sex tourists around Bangkok?  Guys like David don't meet non-hooker 25 year old Thai women in non-hooker bars in Bangkok. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

"Hooker bar" or not, at least they met face-to-face. (I don't like speculating about Annie like that. But no matter what her past may be, she's still classier than most.)

I disagree. There's nothing classy about Annie. They had their joint bachelor/bachelorette party at a hooker bar complex in the notoriously seedy city of Pattaya, where she seemed overly comfortable. She refers to sex with him as "boom boom" which may sounds cute to an American audience but not if you've been to strip clubs in Thailand and had a dozen women a night come up to you saying "You boom boom me? 3000 baht." 

Normal Thai women don't call sex "boom boom." Everything about Annie screams "low class hooker" to me and I suspect to anyone who is familiar with Thailand.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

IFRC, I think the story was that he was living there and saw her singing in a karaoke bar? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, gavinmac said:

And then he took her for a romantic date to a pingpong show.

Edited by Spike
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

Not a hooker, never been a hooker, too old to be a hooker now, lol .... but I have to ask:  What difference does it make if Annie WAS a hooker?

15 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

It's an antiquated way of subtly shaming women and justifying poor behavior towards them. It's a qualifier that comes up frequently, despite the fact that it has little to nothing to do with what's currently unfolding. Annie's past and possible former job, which is open to opinions but we have no solid facts about it, should have no bearing on the original statement which was that she and David met organically. Whatever she was doing at that bar when they met, the fact remains that they DID meet each other in person and started a relationship that way as opposed to others who met online. IMO there's no reason to bring alleged prostitution into the mix. Even if he was "serviced" that night, they still met in person rather than on a dating app. 

I don't understand why "shaming" Ed and Rosemarie for meeting online is OK and why David and Annie are held up as an example of a legitimate "organic" relationship even if they met at a hooker bar.  

Prostitution is illegal in 49 states because Americans, through their elected representatives, have determined that this activity is immoral and contrary to the public good.  On a federal level, the DS-160 form that an applicant must submit to get a K1 visa specifically asks if you've been engaged in prostitution in the last ten years. If you answer yes, you probably don't get the visa, because we don't want creepy idiot Americans going to impoverished countries and marrying hookers who will pretend to love them and then arrive in the USA and start turning tricks and spreading STDs and getting involved in associated criminal activity. 

The US state department will certainly "judge" someone for being a prostitute much more harshly than it judges someone for using an international dating app.  I think the way Ed and Rosemarie met should be a non-issue, it's a very common way that K-1 couples meet these days.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Not a hooker, never been a hooker, too old to be a hooker now, lol .... but I have to ask:  What difference does it make if Annie WAS a hooker? I'm not saying YOU care, this is just rhetorical and could be directed towards any of the women on 90 days.  (I've also seen some question whether Rose was a hooker.)

Barring hurting any innocents, everyone is entitled to love and be loved by someone in return.  

The biggest problem I had with Annie is that she threw shade at other women for being "less than pristine" like David's daughter and IMO, anfisa, for being a "cam girl.". 

I don't think anyone should judge, but I really don't think that Annie, who was likely a sex worker, should be shading anyone.  I thought it was particularly low that Annie sat there and tried to condescendingly imply that anfisa was lying about being a cam girl when Annie knows how the shame of being a sex worker makes women deny it.  

She should have been empathetic given that Annie has denied being a sex worker and IMO she absolutely was.  Instead Annie wanted to be in a position to judge.  I don't like that. 

• Love 13
14 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Of course this isn't just about sex. He could hire a hooker for less, but would that get him on TV? No. Ed's a big old famewhore who has been trying to pimp himself out through one avenue or another for years. The point of this wasn't just to get laid, it was to expand his existing audience. He thought he'd be potrayed as the scrappy little "authentic" guy who treats this poor helpless little girl like a princess and people would love him. He was wrong.

I understand completely why you are sympathetic to her. I clawed my way out of a bad situation as well, so I get it.  

She does not come off as helpless to me. There is something very “hard” and streetwise about her.  I don’t know what it is, but she rubs me the wrong way. I am completely sympathetic about and on the side of Usman and Varya, but not Rose.  And this does not mean that I think that I think Big Ed is a gem because I don’t.  Basically, I feel so no sympathy for either one of them.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 9

Do families in the Philippines expect a dowry payment when they marry off a daughter?  Asking for a friend... 😎

bwahahaha Lil’ Ed is NOT my friend!  I couldn’t do it. But I still want to know...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DiamondGirl said:

My opinion of David and Annie changed considerably after seeing them on the pillow talk shows.  It seems like they’ve settled into a nice relationship and he seems to treat her very well.  They’re funny too.

i don’t like how Ed humiliates Rose.  Nothing wrong with giving her gifts of bikini and lingerie but the hairy legs and breath criticism is cruel.  When he’s sweating and dripping all over the place with that unruly greasy hair.  Get a decent haircut.

Ed claimed in an interview that is linked on the couples thread that he gets compliments on his look.  Not buying it.  If anything, people are being patronizing.

• LOL 4
  • Love 13
On 4/23/2020 at 12:22 PM, DEL901 said:

Look at RoseMarie and her family.   Her father lives in a hut made of pallets beside pigs to make a living.   He didn’t turn to crime.  RoseMarie is willing to marry Ed to help her son.  It is distasteful but she is making a sacrifice, not committing a crime.  

How do we know she‘s looking to better Princes life? Is it because saying that she’s looking to better her own life  by hooking up with a greasy, sweaty American makes her less sympathetic and more like she’s looking out for number 1 (herself)?  She’s barely even mentions  Prince, leaves him with her sister to traipse off with “ugly” Ed  on a nice vacation. And honestly, if Ed told her he had no interest in being a father to Prince and “suggested” leaving him with his aunt , I can see Rose doing just that.  
All the talk from women on this show about how their children are THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, is so much BS. I can’t think of one that hasn’t eventually tossed out  that “ I  DESERVE LOVE” and how much sacrifice they have made and now it’s “MY TURN”

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

ll the talk from women on this show about how their children are THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, is so much BS. 

The only reason “my kids are the most important things to me” isn’t the free square on our bingo cards is because not every 90Day contestant has a kid.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Barring hurting any innocents, everyone is entitled to love and be loved by someone in return.  

Is “being loved” an entitlement?  It would be nice to think that everyone would find someone that loves them  and that they love in return.  Sadly in many cases that does not happen. Look at Darcy, she claims all she wants is to be loved, but she clearly has a list of requirements for the person that she is loved by. She looks at a photograph of a young sexy Jessie and says “that is what I deserve to be loved by” and when that relationship doesn’t pan out like she feels it should, she turns it into a rejection of her and she tries to reinvent herself into what she believes a  “Jesse” would love. The Darcys of the world need to love themselves first and foremost. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

i don’t like how Ed humiliates Rose.  Nothing wrong with giving her gifts of bikini and lingerie but the hairy legs and breath criticism is cruel.  When he’s sweating and dripping all over the place with that unruly greasy hair.  Get a decent haircut.

I agree and it grates my nerves how he needs positive feedback on EVERY! THING!  "You like the wine?  You like gift?  You like the robe?"  Jesus he must be exhausting in bed - "You like this?  You like that"  How was it for you me?"  (Cause we all know he is all about him between the 1000 thread count sheets.)

I agree he was never going to marry her - why did he not tell her dad he was planning to propose?  He told her dad he was "getting to know her."  He did not want to be trapped!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 16

by hooking up with a greasy, sweaty American

In all fairness, we can assume when Rose was video chatting with Ed was not a greasy sweaty mess.  He was in in A/C in SanDiego.

And as for wanting a better life for Prince, as a parent myself we can assume (there is that word again, lol!) that every parent wants a better life for his/her child.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Is “being loved” an entitlement?  It would be nice to think that everyone would find someone that loves them  and that they love in return.  Sadly in many cases that does not happen. Look at Darcy, she claims all she wants is to be loved, but she clearly has a list of requirements for the person that she is loved by. She looks at a photograph of a young sexy Jessie and says “that is what I deserve to be loved by” and when that relationship doesn’t pan out like she feels it should, she turns it into a rejection of her and she tries to reinvent herself into what she believes a  “Jesse” would love. The Darcys of the world need to love themselves first and foremost. 

I thought because of the context of what I wrote above that, that my meaning would be more clear.  I will word my thoughts differently.  If someone was a prostitute in her past, that does not mean that she is not worthy of being loved by someone, especially if she was open about her profession to her significant other.   If he does not care what she did prior to their getting together, than no one else should care, either.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

I thought because of the context of what I wrote above that, that my meaning would be more clear.  I will word my thoughts differently.  If someone was a prostitute in her past, that does not mean that she is not worthy of being loved by someone, especially if she was open about her profession to her significant other.   If he does not care what she did prior to their getting together, than no one else should care, either.

No reason someone cannot love a former prostitute, or even one still working. 
I  was only questioning the idea of an entitlement to love. Certainly you would think that every child born will be loved and nurtured  by their parents. But reading headlines and watching TV, sadly too many are abused, abandoned, neglected and worse. Everyone’s idea of what love is differs.  What you or I would seek out in a partner can be entirely opposite. 

I just find myself shaking my head every time another red flag is thrown into someone’s face, raising serious concerns about someone’s motives or truthfulness and they go on yammering about their “doubts and concerns” about the future with their partner  and inevitably end their remarks with “but l love him/her”.  How can you love someone  you don’t trust, or deep down even like.

When the relationship starts  with the future pretty much spelled out.... yeah, I think questioning that “love” is a smart thing to do. 

Neither Rose nor Ed is a prize, but using the entItlement to love  theory,  isn’t Ed equally entitled to love. His physical ailments have most likely attributed to his quirks and idiosyncrasies. If we are to give Rose leeway to allow her to use her sex to get access to a “better” life via Ed’s horniness,  why can’t Ed be allowed the same? 

Maybe I would feel better about all these couples and their motives if the word “Love” wasn’t thrown around so carelessly. 

• Love 4

Please take out the word "entitled" from my comment.  We aren't communicating, and I guess it's my word choices.

Let me try one final time conveying what I think I was trying to say back then.

"It should not matter if someone was once a prostitute.  It is not like a prostitute does not deserve to be loved because of her choice of profession."

I was thinking about Annie and David when I was saying that, and I was only thinking about one's PAST - not attributes or lack of.  If Annie couldn't find love because she was bitchy, or stank to high heaven, or burped continuously or whatever - that is one thing.  But to not be capable of being loved because she was once a prostitute is something else entirely.   That was ALL I was speaking of.

If I didn't come across clearly THIS time - I give up!  lol

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree he was never going to marry her - why did he not tell her dad he was planning to propose? 

But he showed his friend what looks to be a nice diamond engagement ring. I think he went there with the idea of proposing until he met her in person and reality sank in. Now seeing the poverty she lives in, he'll probably figure that she'd pawn it as soon as he boards the plane home (and he could be right, I can't picture her wearing a "rock" around her neighborhood.) 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Please take out the word "entitled" from my comment.  We aren't communicating, and I guess it's my word choices.

Let me try one final time conveying what I think I was trying to say back then.

"It should not matter if someone was once a prostitute.  It is not like a prostitute does not deserve to be loved because of her choice of profession."

I was thinking about Annie and David when I was saying that, and I was only thinking about one's PAST - not attributes or lack of.  If Annie couldn't find love because she was bitchy, or stank to high heaven, or burped continuously or whatever - that is one thing.  But to not be capable of being loved because she was once a prostitute is something else entirely.   That was ALL I was speaking of.

If I didn't come across clearly THIS time - I give up!  lol

I understand what you're saying, believe me, and I also give up. My words and point have been twisted until I no longer recognize them. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, magemaud said:

But he showed his friend what looks to be a nice diamond engagement ring. I think he went there with the idea of proposing until he met her in person and reality sank in. Now seeing the poverty she lives in, he'll probably figure that she'd pawn it as soon as he boards the plane home (and he could be right, I can't picture her wearing a "rock" around her neighborhood.) 

That may be, however, I think it's also possible that Ed is very, very invested in his image as a "nice guy" so buying a ring he never intended to give rose fits that narrative, IMO.  

He knew he was going to be on TV and at every turn you can see that he is trying to cultivate a nice guy image that I'm sure he thinks is working.  

• Love 14

Caught the half hour preview.

Ed came across as gross. Surely as a wealthy-ish American, he could have taken Rose to some fancy Manila store or even a mid-price type store and had her choose her own lingerie. I was offended by it. Also offended by the mouthwash, toothbrush and toothpaste and telling her she has bad breath. Once he found out it was an ulcer, maybe he could contact the hotel concierge for recommendations for a doctor and actually do something for her to help out her life.

Nice of her sister to look after her son.

Tom, you simply could have put the letter in the mail and Darcey could decide if she wishes to open any correspondence from you. But nope, you want attention.

Avery has every right to ask Ash exactly what his job as a relationship coach really is, observe his 'sessions', wonder why most of the clients are female, and wonder how he schmoozes them. Is he a player just looking for the next vulnerable woman hookup? If he knows every line in the book, you should be able to suss out his real intentions.

• Love 15
11 hours ago, iwasish said:

All the talk from women on this show about how their children are THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, is so much BS. I can’t think of one that hasn’t eventually tossed out  that “ I  DESERVE LOVE” and how much sacrifice they have made and now it’s “MY TURN”

Yolanda (? woman from Las Vegas who is being catfished) did say this but I think it was true. I don't remember when her husband died but I think she's different from other women. Most of her kids are grown up. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

That may be, however, I think it's also possible that Ed is very, very invested in his image as a "nice guy" so buying a ring he never intended to give rose fits that narrative, IMO.  

He knew he was going to be on TV and at every turn you can see that he is trying to cultivate a nice guy image that I'm sure he thinks is working.  

Yep. Pretty sure I was the first one to call him a sex tourist, but even if I wasn't, he still is. Everything the man does is for his image. I have no trouble believing that he took that ring down there to help cement the whole "nice guy trying to save the love of his life from poverty" angle. I also think he lied about shipping the stuff to her; IMO what we saw was the first and it was all for show. And it all might have worked if he'd done a better job at hiding his actual personality.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

Plus it's a show about "before" the k1 visa, which requires a proposal. I think being on the show was his goal so the ring is just a prop for him, I don't think he intended to proposs UNLESS Rose had turned out to be the mindless sex slave he wanted, in which case he probably would have thought  "might as well bring her to the us". 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 4/21/2020 at 10:49 PM, Spike said:

At first I thought he was going to use the ulcer as an excuse to dump her because she is medically imperfect.  But that would be too much hypocrisy even for him.

When he said "you never told me that," he had this look on his face that said, "This could be a deal breaker." So mach sleaze.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
On 4/22/2020 at 4:54 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Ed is a pig, but there's no delicate way to tell someone they have bad breath. However, Rose's teeth look well-cared for and he shouldn't have jumped to assumptions about her hygiene. Assuming Rose has never had the money to have the ulcer treated, Ed's first step (after delivering a heartfelt and sincere apology for insulting her) should be to take her to a doctor. If they don't have a good doctor in that resort town, he should put her on Prilosec or another proton pump inhibitor (which is probably sold, albeit for top dollar, at the sundry stores catering to American tourists) for a week or two to see if the ulcer suddenly gets better. Once you reduce the amount of acid, which is what a PPI does, there's a decent chance the stomach can heal itself. If that doesn't work, then pay for a damn gastroenterologist to find out what's the matter. I'm sure they have them in Manila.

As for Usman's mom: Like Varya's mom, she's accepting the union because she loves her child and doesn't want to put them in a "them or me" situation. Despite what Usman told BGL, acceptance =/= approval.

Totally agree - anyone who really cared would at least offer to help get her treatment.

Ed, however is a tightwad. He's all generosity if it will enhance his sexy time, otherwise he's got a stick up his rear. When they were shopping, he couldn't get out of there fast enough. Rose's sister's request for money, even though dropped, has been a major rankle for him. If it doesn't advance his own agenda, he's not interested.

As dull as the Rainbow Brite pair are, at least they bring the drama. Ash and Avery are the biggest snooze for me. Her whole Inquisitor persona is so dull. Not saying she doesn't have reason for suspicion, but she can definitely give Stephanie a run for the title of Debbie Downer.

• Love 17
19 minutes ago, renatae said:

Totally agree - anyone who really cared would at least offer to help get her treatment.

Ed, however is a tightwad. He's all generosity if it will enhance his sexy time, otherwise he's got a stick up his rear. When they were shopping, he couldn't get out of there fast enough. Rose's sister's request for money, even though dropped, has been a major rankle for him. If it doesn't advance his own agenda, he's not interested.

As dull as the Rainbow Brite pair are, at least they bring the drama. Ash and Avery are the biggest snooze for me. Her whole Inquisitor persona is so dull. Not saying she doesn't have reason for suspicion, but she can definitely give Stephanie a run for the title of Debbie Downer.

My 8yo daughter and I just used a currency converter to see how much Rose tipped the street vendor...it was $.20. Later when they went to another vendor and she got Ed to buy the shirt and he bitched about her and his money the cost is $3.55. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, renatae said:

When he said "you never told me that," he had this look on his face that said, "This could be a deal breaker." So mach sleaze.

I was thinking about the “gift” of toothpaste, mouthwash, and a toothbrush.... he brought those from the US...before he met her, before he knew she had bad breath.   Who does that?   On the video chat, she seemed to have nice teeth, so why would he bring her oral care?

I remember an earlier episode when he said he was bringing Prince toothpaste.   Does Ed have an oral obsession?  Most people bring chocolate.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Once he found out it was an ulcer, maybe he could contact the hotel concierge for recommendations for a doctor and actually do something for her to help out her life.

exactly.  wouldn't your first concern, if you do care about her at all, be to provide her with the means to a healthier life? not just disguise the side effect of the ulcer so you can use her body?

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I was thinking about the “gift” of toothpaste, mouthwash, and a toothbrush.... he brought those from the US...before he met her, before he knew she had bad breath.   Who does that?   On the video chat, she seemed to have nice teeth, so why would he bring her oral care?

I remember an earlier episode when he said he was bringing Prince toothpaste.   Does Ed have an oral obsession?  Most people bring chocolate.  

Or, bring presents for Prince!  Every mother loves to see her child smile.  And there are so many fun toys for little boys.  Or look for toys at the market.  Does he need a little bike or a soccer ball.  

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

Or, bring presents for Prince!  Every mother loves to see her child smile.  And there are so many fun toys for little boys.  Or look for toys at the market.  Does he need a little bike or a soccer ball.  

Yes!  What the heck??  He's a four year old little boy!  If you are pretending you are going to be a daddy again - wouldn't you bring SOMETHING for the child?  Even a match box car?  Fits in the suitcase quite easily and it doesn't cost so much that Ed will have to gripe about the money spent for 6 months.  What a tight wad!   And he HAS a grown daughter so he can't pretend he knows nothing about kids.  It's just basic kindness!

And if Ed didn't know that Rose had bad breath until he met her, he would have had no reason to pack mouthwash, and a toothbrush and toothpaste.  Those HAD to have been purchased after he arrived in Manila.  

• Love 9