Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: Fight or Flight?

• Start Topic

(edited)
20 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I am confused.  What is so scary about a person expressing anger?  Anger is a normal emotion.  True, Brandon is a man-child, but still.  I don't see Brandon as being violent at all.  What has happened that expressing anger, even if it's yelling has become scary? 

As for how Brandon would be with no cameras, I assume he's living right now with no cameras. 

Anger is a normal emotion yes.  Threatening people that are filming a show you signed up for is not normal, and this is the 2nd time we know he's done that.

If he can throw things, threaten people with cameras in front of him, I'm assuming it's much worse when there isn't one on him.  

I don't understand why you are defending him.  Expressing anger is telling someone why you are pissed.  It's not threatening people around you because you are angry at the person you are in a relationship with.  

If Katie started threatening the film crew, I feel confident you wouldn't consider that normal.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 21
1 minute ago, sasha206 said:

If I were Meka I would've asked Michael to bring back a death certificate.

ring ring

Meka: Hi Tonya.

Tonya: Hi Meka.

Meka: Sorry about your Uncle...

Tonya: What are you talking about?

Meka: Michael is running around town getting flowers, the printed program, the pall bearers lined up to carry the casket for the funeral...

Tonya: Um...Uncle Benny died last year...

Meka: And your family is JUST NOW getting around to burying him!?

Tonya: No, we laid him to rest last year.

Meka: sigh.....

• LOL 18
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I am confused.  What is so scary about a person expressing anger?  Anger is a normal emotion.  True, Brandon is a man-child, but still.  I don't see Brandon as being violent at all.  What has happened that expressing anger, even if it's yelling has become scary? 

As for how Brandon would be with no cameras, I assume he's living right now with no cameras. 

I agree with this.  People lose their shit every day, for various reasons, but that doesn't mean that they're violent.

• Love 4
(edited)

They Are Their Car

White Honda Odyssey-Jesse/Austin(for the kids...twins, of course...a boy and a girl)

GreyJeep Wrangler Sport-Derek/Katie (for the adventurous at heart)

White Honda Accord- Meka (holds their resale value)

Matte Black Lamborghini-Michael (fibbing...he drives a Kia Rio)

Red Mini Cooper-Taylor (easy to park curbside at the clubs)

UBER/LYFT-Brandon (or the beer truck for deliveries of cases and kegs)

Blue Prius-Mindy(practical, eco friendly)

Leased Silver BMW-Zach(ego driven)

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5

The one thing I thought Brandon did that was weird was him getting all up in that guy's face and taunting him.  But I guess he figured the guy wouldn't hit him with the cameras rolling. 

• Love 15
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I agree with this.  People lose their shit every day, for various reasons, but that doesn't mean that they're violent.

So do you pick fights with people around you that have nothing to do with the argument you just had?   Do you hurl insults at them?  Do you get in their face? Do you think that's normal behavior just because you are pissed?

If he hasn't been violent in the past, his anger management issues sure suggest he could be in the future.

3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

The one thing I thought Brandon did that was weird was him getting all up in that guy's face and taunting him.  But I guess he figured the guy wouldn't hit him with the cameras rolling. 

Oh, he's just expressing his anger.  It's a normal emotion. 😀

But seriously, I probably was over dramatic in saying "violence" but I feel like he's got the hallmarks to eventually be violent someday.

That said, I might feel violent if I had to listen to Taylor's 8000 likes and her acting for the camera.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 11
39 minutes ago, MyTwoCents said:

Derek and Katie were so lucky to ‘steal’ a golf cart fully equipped with cameras! 

With multiple camera angles no less. 

• LOL 5
(edited)
On 4/1/2020 at 8:21 PM, Straycat80 said:

The show should kick his drunk ass out of there. If he signed a contract to be filmed he is breaking that contract. And he threatened the crew. He also called that lady a bitch. 

To be fair Taylor called Brandon a bitch, and Katie wants Derek to call her one 🙂

19 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

I have no idea way production didn't just drop him off instead of trying to park, nor whether Michael really had time to arrange for the flowers he said he needed to get done.  Seems perhaps the Brandon drama (at the house and in DC) DID cut into Michael's time but non-confrontational Michael wouldn't admit that when asked.

Micheal seems like one who is not comfortable sharing personal things on camera.  He may have been pissed at Brandon but did not want the rag on him on camera.   So when Meka starts going in his lies on camera and in front of others he shut down and left.  Some people are raised to keep private business in house and you shouldn’t criticize your spouse in front of others.  Of curse those people tend not to go on reality shows.  

2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I agree, I don’t find Brandon scary.  He is an asshole when pushed though.  
I don’t see Brandon’s hissy fits any different than Katy’s yelling, stomping hissy fits.

Edited by After7Only
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

You mean this one?

https://odis.homeaway.com/odis/listing/1333c388-c84b-4fad-8e69-4df435955a0d.f10.jpg

I can see cramming a bunch of beds in a Jersey Shore beach house, maybe, but even then, not blocking bookshelves and cabinets.  Classy.

Yes. Gives me the creeps just looking at it.

I was just thinking that maybe the reason that Jessica seems like the mother or adult in the room is because she is a little older than the rest and has a real profession and is more mature. I think having these kids in their 20s who have not really exhausted all of their options for relationships should not be on here. They are too immature and just come off as fools, which I guess is what the show wants.

Plus Jessica is a nurse in a cardiac intensive care unit. She spends all day with people who are critically ill and often dying. She's seen grief, up close and personal, on a regular basis. That sort of job really can line your priorities up pretty quickly. 

Don't forget Mindy.  Though I wonder why she took so damn long to leave Zach.  I just wish Meka would tell the experts that they should take her sham marriage and shove it.

I think there was a lot going on with Mindy's time with Zach. First and foremost, she really wanted it (it being the show matching her with a husband she could be married to for a lifetime) to work. I think she felt she had exhausted her options, she wanted to be married and she was very invested in this being successful. Second, she was embarrassed, not only that it didn't work but that it never worked - not even on the wedding night. They were done before they walked back down the aisle after being pronounced husband and wife. We don't know much about her family - whether she permanently severed ties with them when she went on the show or if they are type to say "I told you so" but the fact that they thought the idea was nuts and told her so made it much harder to accept that it hadn't worked*. Third, I really do think that Mindy is a person of her word and she was doing her best to honor the "rules of the game" as well as the contract she had signed. This is, I think, why she stayed. Not only did she stay, but she sought any sign at all that there could be something there that could work. She did everything the "experts" told her to do because that's what you are supposed to do on this show - substitute your judgment for theirs. I have a lot of respect for Mindy and if I ever ran into her on the street, I'd want to give her a hug (except that would be weird because I'm a stranger and we are in quarantine). I think she seems like a kind, intelligent person who would make a good friend. I'm hopeful she finds real love at some point in her life. 

*The desire to prove people wrong when they question your judgement can be STRONG. Years ago, my former college roommate married a guy that everyone had doubts about. Several of us talked to her about our concerns, all ending with some well-intentioned version of "you don't have to go through with the wedding. She cried and said she just wanted people to be happy for her, the way we were happy for our other friends getting married. The couple was married for 10 years then divorced. She later told us she was miserable most of the time and he had done a lot of shady stuff potentially putting her at risk. She would have left a lot sooner, she said, but she was so determined to prove the naysayers wrong. Being one of the naysayers, this KILLED me. This is one of the reasons that I think it was fine for Mindy's family to say they thought the idea was crazy (it is) but that they should have been at the wedding to support her (even if not supporting the idea of her being married to a stranger). 

I don’t get all the hate against Taylor . Look who she’s married to . Since day 1, Brandon has been an aggressive , bratty asshole . Is she the vision of perfect ? No I’m sure she loves Instagram more than life , but I think ( besides the video ), she’s been more than patient with Brandon .. much more than I would’ve ever been . I do think she’s very attention craving but I think anyone who signs up for reality tv is so the rest of them are no different . 

I dislike Brandon and Taylor. I disagree that they are all like Taylor. I think that Meka, Mindy, Katie and Jessica genuinely came on the show to find a husband they could love. I think they had varying degrees of comfort airing their personal dirty laundry to do that and you are right that all of them had to have some willingness to put their personal lives out there on television. But for them, I think that was something to be tolerated to get to the goal of marriage.

Taylor's goal was to promote Taylor on whatever TV show took her first. I think she would have been fine being married if she had been matched with some guy who tolerated, or better yet supported and actively participated in her rabid self promotion. For her, the marriage was totally secondary to being on TV. She is totally fake. She also has done really disrespectful things (that video about being single forever; staying out all night without telling Brandon where she was) that she refuses to acknowledge or apologize for. I really don't like her at all.

I wonder (don't know) if her medical condition permits such an excessive use of alcohol.

Katie is a Type I, insulin dependent diabetic. She has to check her blood sugar multiple times per day and administer insulin to keep her blood sugar within a normal range. I can't imagine that her doctor hasn't told her that she should not drink alcohol. It's full of sugar which can send her blood sugar shooting up - she can correct with insulin but the goal is really to maintain stable blood sugars as much as possible through diet (which includes what you drink) and lifestyle choices. Not to mention, it's probably more difficult to be careful about correctly taking a blood sugar reading and administering a proper dose of insulin when you're sloshed. I wonder actually if Jessica has said something to her; given her line of work she certainly knows what can happen if a patient doesn't manage her diabetes appropriately. 

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, After7Only said:

To be fair Taylor called Brandon a bitch, and Katie wants Derek to call her one 🙂

Micheal seems like one who is not comfortable sharing personal things on camera.  He may have been pissed at Brandon but did not want the rag on him on camera.   So when Meka starts going in his lies on camera and in front of others he shut down and left.  Some people are raised to keep private business in house and you shouldn’t criticize your spouse in front of others.  Of curse those people tend not to go on reality shows.  

I agree, I don’t find Brandon scary.  He is an asshole when pushed though.  
I don’t see Brandon’s hissy fits any different than Katy’s yelling, stomping hissy fits.

No one here likes Katie's yelling, stomping, hissy fits, but she's not getting in the faces of the people that have nothing to do with the argument and saying “What are you gonna do about it? You gonna put your hands on me?”

I mean, he didn't exactly threaten violence but he seemed to be courting it too.  And it's his second outburst at the production crew, which makes me think this isn't something new to him.

I didn't find him scary when arguing with Taylor; it just seemed a little scary when he was taking the anger out on production again. 

• Love 16

I think part of the reason Katie tears Derrick down is so he thinks he can’t get anyone better than her because he keeps being told how much of a “loser” he is. 

Jessica reminds me of an RA I had in college.  

• Love 11
(edited)

MAFSfan reported that on an Unfiltered, Taylor said Brandon threw a phone at the producers at their wedding because he didn't like the food they served him. Brandon definitely has anger issues. He is not stable.

Edited by gingerandcloves
  • Love 17
33 minutes ago, gingerandcloves said:

MAFSfan reported that on an Unfiltered, Taylor said Brandon threw a phone at the producers at their wedding because he didn't like the food they served him. Brandon definitely has anger issues. He is not stable.

I’m not sure I believe nor do I disbelieve this. Taylor has certainly stretched the truth here...Brandon has certainly overreacted too.  Idk

i took this from the internet but for those worried about a diabetic having alcohol...

Whiskey, vodka, brandy, gin, tequila and other pure alcohols have zero carbs and so are fine on a low-carb diet. Don't add juice, soft drinks, or other sweeteners like sweet cream. Adding tonic to zero-carb gin boosts its carbs to 16 grams per serving! Have vodka, soda water and lime instead for a no-carb summer drink.

of course there are other issue that come with drinking....

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Kimboweena said:

Actually, she said "I'M DONE-A!"  Why do people add extra syllables to words like that?

That and Worst drinking game Ever:  drink every time one of these people says “like”.     I’m under the table 😒

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

And my bet is that he drinks a lot and acts like an asshole to people when he's drunk.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, CaliCat said:

Hmm. I kind of like the excursion stuff. If I’m ever allowed out of the house again I might visit the Shenandoah Valley. 😊

I'm sure it would be fun. I have zero interest in watching it. Or them in caves. Of them "stealing" a golf cart.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, sasha206 said:

No one here likes Katie's yelling, stomping, hissy fits, but she's not getting in the faces of the people that have nothing to do with the argument and saying “What are you gonna do about it? You gonna put your hands on me?”

I mean, he didn't exactly threaten violence but he seemed to be courting it too.  And it's his second outburst at the production crew, which makes me think this isn't something new to him.

I didn't find him scary when arguing with Taylor; it just seemed a little scary when he was taking the anger out on production again. 

I think a lot of Brandon’s beef with production is that he regrets participating in this show. He’s angry at them because they won’t stop filming when he wants and they push and push to get the content they want. It’s obvious that he’s done with this farce of a marriage. He’s said as much. He’s told Taylor he doesn’t want to be friends. At this point he’s fulfilling his contractual obligations but only under duress. Taylor is much more willing to act her part *on camera* but she is definitely acting. And not well.

I don’t think Brandon is necessarily violent but he was absolutely goading the male producer, probably hoping the guy would hit him so he could then leave the show for good and file a lawsuit. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Medsed said:

I’m not sure I believe nor do I disbelieve this. Taylor has certainly stretched the truth here...Brandon has certainly overreacted too.  Idk

i took this from the internet but for those worried about a diabetic having alcohol...

Whiskey, vodka, brandy, gin, tequila and other pure alcohols have zero carbs and so are fine on a low-carb diet. Don't add juice, soft drinks, or other sweeteners like sweet cream. Adding tonic to zero-carb gin boosts its carbs to 16 grams per serving! Have vodka, soda water and lime instead for a no-carb summer drink.

of course there are other issue that come with drinking....

That's interesting because I think I saw Katie holding a slice of lime when they were at the table drinking.  So I guess she is following some guidelines?  

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I still can’t understand most of what the couples couch couples say.  Terrible audio.  

I watch couples couch with closed captions on.  It really helps me.

I'm surprised how much I enjoy couples couch.  Not only their take on the episode, but the interaction between the married couples.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Lifesabeach said:

That and Worst drinking game Ever:  drink every time one of these people says “like”.     I’m under the table 😒

Drinking game:

Any time someone says "leap of faith" including the opening credits (as a warmup). Derek has been extremely heavy handed with that expression this season. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I thought about that, but part of me also wondered if he was trying to goad the producer into taking a swing so that Brandon could justify punching him, which would serve two purposes: He would be kicked off the show immediately, and he would have had some sort of justification/defense that he was acting in self defense. Truthfully, though, I don't think he's that calculating. At best, I think he was just at his limit and was just being a d*ck, hoping the producer, Taylor, et al would just leave him alone.

• Love 4
(edited)
51 minutes ago, GettingGray said:

I'm surprised how much I enjoy couples couch.  Not only their take on the episode, but the interaction between the married couples.

It depends who is on CC.

Kristine/Keith and Ashley/Anthony are the poster couples and on most episodes.  

Jamie/Doug try way too hard and are more of an act.

Jephte is pretty funny, Danielle is too boring (not on much) and a little AJ goes a long way.

Edited by OnTime
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Jamie/Doug try way too hard and are more of an act.

If they took them off I might try watching more. Deleted part of the way through last time because I couldn't deal with her anymore. They give her way too much camera time & I find her annoying AF.

Honestly don't find any of the others entertaining either though, so not worth it for me.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 5

I have zero problems hearing the people on couples couch and at times I'm in different rooms getting ready for a shower or bed while watching. I don't share these issues. 

And I think it's a lot of fun.

I laughed at Anthony loving the wood paneling after so many people complaining about. I can't say that I noticed or cared about the decor at any time.

Also, Jephte yelling you don't like him and you think his dreams are stupid when Katie was whining about Derek to the wives.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

My son who is in his early 30's was talking about this the other day. He said the majority of girls he dates don't like to cook, don't know how to cook and don't care to learn how to cook. I asked him if he was exaggerating and he said NO! Single young girls just don't cook. Weird, huh? 

If I was a young girl I hope I would be smart enough to say, "I don't cook" even if I was a professional chef.  If you cook you'll be cooking all the time (and paying for the groceries too) and you'll be having sex and not going out for dates (dinners and lunches) very much.  You'll be staying home, cleaning the kitchen, as if you are married.  If the guy has his own place, the guy is often "having to " leave at 2:30 am because the have a big day at the office the next day  Not so great for the woman and this kind of dating can go on for years if not decades without marriage which often mean the woman doesn't have a relationship to have children in. So why cook?  Also when you cook you often gain weight.

2 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

I do think at this point, Meka is probably not trusting/believing Michael on things he may be telling the truth about...but I mean, who can blame her, really? It's like the boy who cried wolf. With someone like that, I'd be so on edge and on guard all the time. I know she comes across super harshly, but my nerves would be FRAYED at this point, frankly, what with constant lying from my husband combined with the stress of filming and the underlying embarrassment of knowing that everyone you know (and lots of strangers) is going to watch you be lied to every week on national television in a few months. It's bad enough to be made a fool by your partner, but a fool in front of millions of strangers?

And if she already has an edgier, somewhat more aggressive, straightforward personality, it's got to be just sending her spiraling. It started with the honeymoon sex ultimatum (which I 100% believe happened), and he NEVER admitted he said it...it's just been downhill from there. After that, she could just never believe anything he did or said. 

Yes, I think she starts at a higher baseline of irritation and pushiness than other people. But at this point, she essentially must be showing audiences the very worst version of herself. Like with Mindy, when people said she acted like a doormat...being treated like Mindy or Meka has been treated on this show has to exacerbate your worst qualities. If Mindy is already on the too-passive and too-forgiving or somewhat insecure side, being treated like that has to ramp that flaw/tendency up to 100. I tend towards anxiousness and neuroticism, and I have to imagine I'd be acting *cray* on a show like this at this point, when Michael has gaslit her so much that she literally still doesn't even know WHAT HIS JOB IS. 

Meka is very different when she is with everyone except Michael.

2 hours ago, Mrs. Button said:

How do we know that? Even if the producers strongly implied he would not be paired with a black woman — which I don't believe —  his behavior doesn't get a pass. There has never been an interracial pairing on this show. They were just going to switch everything up for him since he's so charming?

So he was forced into this? Brandon is an adult who like all of us is responsible for his own choices and behavior, regardless of what he encounters with Taylor or production. The show is Married at First Sight, not Married at First Sight to your Requested Physical Type (in fact, part of the idea is that if you are selecting who you date based on looks, you may be doing it all wrong).

These are possible explanations for Brandon's behavior - not saying that his behavior is acceptable.  Not at all!  It's just another hypothesis about the causation for his behavior.  Why is he doing these things?  Why is he so hostile?  Why did he act this way from day 1 and struggling with production the first night?  Just speculation.  

• Love 6
(edited)

I finally watched the episode from end to end yesterday and found many confusing moments:

Why did Taylor get pissy at Brandon for not wanting a strong drink when he said he had to work "all day tomorrow." She kept rolling her eyes and making faces at him? Did not get that.

The whole Festival/Car/Producer thing was something I did not understand at all. Production was going to drive Michael and Brandon to DC so Brandon could work at some beer festival and Michael could make arrangements. Brandon got in the back seat of the car and would not unlock the door because he said the plan was something else? What was that? Then he got out and walked somewhere? I'm still lost with what was going on there.

I also did not understand what the questions from Meka meant. Why was she asking/expecting that Michael had gone to the festival with Brandon when he was going for other purposes? And what was the text in the car about "we're on our way back?" Did he mean he and Brandon or he and production? Why did Taylor say it was bull shit what Michael was saying about the trip? I just am lost in a ball of confusion about everything that happened there.

Derek was treating Taylor way better than he treats Katie. I hate Katie and think she turns him off because she has no sense of humor for the stupid, silly things that people joke and kid about. I'm not into that either but don't look down on others who are. It's just not my thing. Derek finally felt free to be silly Taylor was being silly back. He even said that he was being himself. It must have been a relief for him to be able to act silly and foolish and not be cut down for it. Katie such a pissy little bitch. Why he wants this to work out is a mystery to me. 

Brandon has been angry and shut down from day one. I'd love to know why. I don't think it is simply because he discovered that she's an social media gal who is just looking to get on various TV shows. He looked checked out as soon as soon as he saw her.

I'll take the unpopular hat and say that I thought the crock pot thing was stupid. It just looked like an attempt to get people to "awwww" all over Austin. He could have put the thing down somewhere as soon as they walked in. Just bringing it was weird and dumb.

Edited by configdotsys
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
8 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Brandon has been angry and shut down from day one. I'd love to know why. I don't think it is simply because he discovered that she's an social media gal who is just looking to get on various TV shows. He looked checked out as soon as soon as he saw her.

I agree.  I wonder if he'd seen pictures of her on IG before they met.  It's as if he knew who she was and he didn't like what he'd seen or heard about her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I agree.  I wonder if he'd seen pictures of her on IG before they met.  It's as if he knew who she was and he didn't like what he'd seen or heard about her.

This is exactly what I thought. The only thing missing was a repeat of Luke's "I think I know her."

• Love 3

If I was a young girl I hope I would be smart enough to say, "I don't cook" even if I was a professional chef.  If you cook you'll be cooking all the time (and paying for the groceries too) and you'll be having sex and not going out for dates (dinners and lunches) very much.  You'll be staying home, cleaning the kitchen, as if you are married.  If the guy has his own place, the guy is often "having to " leave at 2:30 am because the have a big day at the office the next day  Not so great for the woman and this kind of dating can go on for years if not decades without marriage which often mean the woman doesn't have a relationship to have children in. So why cook?  Also when you cook you often gain weight.

Wha? I'm no longer young but even when I was, I would freely admit that I could cook (and I can!). I would cook for the guys I dated and I enjoyed doing it. I still love cooking for my husband and my daughter - I enjoy seeing them enjoy something I made for them. In all this time though, I never found that being able to cook netted me fewer dinner dates. 

I also find that my diet is much better and my weight is more stable when I cook. Eating out is what often leads to weight gain because the portion sizes are huge and there are hidden calories and fats that home cooks often don't add (for example, restaurants coat a lot of things in butter - hamburger buns, vegetables, steaks) to make them shiny and pretty but home cooks often don't bother. 

• Love 13

Still waiting to hear about Ocho Rios...............................................😐

Seriously though, I'm beginning to think that even Michael's "lies" are producer driven.  I think that very early on, the producers were afraid that, unlike past seasons, only one couple would even make it to D day--Austin and Jessica.  Especially after Mindy and Zach were done, they couldn't let the other couples leave because they couldn't have a show with only one (boring) couple.  So why not create some "reality" show drama?  Derek and his dreams, Michael and his lies, Brandon hating cameras, Taylor loving cameras, machine gun mouth Meka, turtle face....err...spoiled Debbie Downer Katie.  If they weren't going to make it to the end, at least make it "exciting." *rolls eyes*

Maybe they're even get paid more as compensation for them coming off badly on camera. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

That's interesting because I think I saw Katie holding a slice of lime when they were at the table drinking.  So I guess she is following some guidelines?  

I doubt most diabetics adhere strictly to guidelines.  Just like most people can't stick to a diet.

In my 20s, I dated a guy who was insulin dependent and he would drink beer, eat whatever.  He hasn't had any complications and is still doing well at 53.  That's not to say he might never have them, but it may not be instant death for Katie to veer off the guidance.

I will say he had some pretty big mood shifts from hopeful to deep depression; of course that could have been from him not adhering to guidance and drinking.  He didn't drink that much though.  Not sure whether Katie's diabetes has anything to do with her some of her wild moods?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, sasha206 said:

No one here likes Katie's yelling, stomping, hissy fits, but she's not getting in the faces of the people that have nothing to do with the argument and saying “What are you gonna do about it? You gonna put your hands on me?

Instead she’s in the face of her husband telling him his dreams are stupid, he’s stupid, he does nothing, and he should call her a bitch.   Also aggressive and angry behavior, but because she is female the perception is different.

The producer in this case did not come across great here either.  Part of producing is knowing how to deescalate.   They provided ample alcohol with hopes of fireworks and drama.  When he got it, he should have been better prepared to handle.    Instead he pushed when it was clear pushing wasn’t working.

When Brandon was throwing the hissy fit about unlocking the car door, the other producer gave him 2 options and walked away.  He didn’t try to force the issue.   Brandon then got out the car.   But eventually he apparently got back in the car, and production took him back to DC.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, After7Only said:

Instead she’s in the face of her husband telling him his dreams are stupid, he’s stupid, he does nothing, and he should call her a bitch.   Also aggressive and angry behavior, but because she is female the perception is different.

The producer in this case did not come across great here either.  Part of producing is knowing how to deescalate.   They provided ample alcohol with hopes of fireworks and drama.  When he got it, he should have been better prepared to handle.    Instead he pushed when it was clear pushing wasn’t working.

When Brandon was throwing the hissy fit about unlocking the car door, the other producer gave him 2 options and walked away.  He didn’t try to force the issue.   Brandon then got out the car.   But eventually he apparently got back in the car, and production took him back to DC.  

No one is excusing Katie's behavior.  But my point was she didn't go to someone filming that had zero to so with the argument itself and try to provoke a physical altercation.

And yes I am sure production was happy to get what they did.

Guarantee you if Katie did what Brandon did with the production staff 2x NO ONE would offer any defense of her or call her anger a normal emotion.  She is the most hated one on this board and is criticized every single episode (rightfully).

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, MyTwoCents said:

Meka is NOT unreasonable! Is it unreasonable to want a husband who doesn’t lie every time he opens his mouth? Is it unreasonable to start questioning everything he says because of numerous lies about all things big and small? Is it unreasonable to want to know what your husband’s job is and how much he makes? How dare she stand up for herself and not just gullibly swallow his lies and act happy!  And I’d be angry as hell if I were matched with a pathological liar!

And Meka is nothing like Sheila.

Agreed. I've said similar is previous threads. I like Meka a lot. I don't understand why she gets so many negative comments. What could you expect? A person can only take so much when paired with someone as horrible as Michael. She seems to genuinely try, as well.

• Love 20
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Still waiting to hear about Ocho Rios...............................................😐

Seriously though, I'm beginning to think that even Michael's "lies" are producer driven.  I think that very early on, the producers were afraid that, unlike past seasons, only one couple would even make it to D day--Austin and Jessica.  Especially after Mindy and Zach were done, they couldn't let the other couples leave because they couldn't have a show with only one (boring) couple.  So why not create some "reality" show drama?  Derek and his dreams, Michael and his lies, Brandon hating cameras, Taylor loving cameras, machine gun mouth Meka, turtle face....err...spoiled Debbie Downer Katie.  If they weren't going to make it to the end, at least make it "exciting." *rolls eyes*

Maybe they're even get paid more as compensation for them coming off badly on camera. 

You know, I've considered this, although that's a really crappy person to agree to it, especially if Meka isn't in on it. If she were to be in on it, I would say they both suck - very shitty story line to give an audience. But then, I don't really know what's going on. I do feel Michael's level of very public, very bad, lying is really weird, & it seems this season has been the most production driven yet.

1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

Guarantee you if Katie did what Brandon did with the production staff 2x NO ONE would offer any defense of her or call her anger a normal emotion.  She is the most hated one on this board and is criticized every single episode (rightfully).

Agree on pt. 1. On Katie, speaking for myself I don't like her & haven't from the very beginning. But, I can't stand Michael or Taylor even more. I can still watch Katie behave badly & snark about it, but watching Michael & Taylor is almost intolerable for me. I say almost because I feel this need to see the shit show season to the end for some reason.

I can't even imagine what future seasons could look like... 😱

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, configdotsys said:

The whole Festival/Car/Producer thing was something I did not understand at all. Production was going to drive Michael and Brandon to DC so Brandon could work at some beer festival and Michael could make arrangements. Brandon got in the back seat of the car and would not unlock the door because he said the plan was something else? What was that? Then he got out and walked somewhere? I'm still lost with what was going on there.

I also did not understand what the questions from Meka meant. Why was she asking/expecting that Michael had gone to the festival with Brandon when he was going for other purposes? And what was the text in the car about "we're on our way back?" Did he mean he and Brandon or he and production? Why did Taylor say it was bull shit what Michael was saying about the trip? I just am lost in a ball of confusion about everything that happened there.

I believe Michael said Brandon wouldn’t get out of the car because he thought production was going to make him make nice with Taylor.  

Meka and Jessica seemed to think Michael was giving two different answers to the “did you go to the festival” question. One driver, two destinations, Michael spouting different times and the usual confusion he creates so they laid into him.  I thought they had to wait for Brandon for a time, maybe meaning he was there but not there and not explaining it very well. They just wanted to know if it was fairytale time again.  

I think Michael said “We’re on our way back” meaning he and production because Taylor already knew from Brandon‘s text that he wasn’t coming back.  I thought her reaction to that specifically was that it was BS.  

That or I got it all wrong.  lol  

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Yep, the producers have their own drama agenda! 

They didn't have to show Brandon's arguments with production on the show, but they did starting in Panama and haven't stopped. I'll bet there is more!!

WHEN is the Decision Day? They are still at the country house next week.

• Love 4
(edited)
19 hours ago, Neurochick said:

In the first season, Vaughn, who was married off to Monet said that his celebrity crushes were Halle Berry and Paula Patton.  Monet looked like neither woman.

Vaughn could not find a way to live with her until weeks into the marriage.  He was checked out from the start.  Social science says that men are more visual and I'm sure that there are people that didn't realize that they couldn't even try to have a relationship with someone that aren't attractive to them.  These are the people that if "first sight" is not a turn on they can't even try to connect.  You would think they would know they aren't open to different looks or that "production" asks about their preferences without any intention to match them with someone they would like on first sight.  In fact they may not fulfill their visual needs so they will have drama.

14 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Brandon was upset from "First Sight" at the altar and began acting out his anger within hours.  Inquiring minds want to know.  I believe it was more than alcohol but alcohol made it worse.

2 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Yep!

2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Wha? I'm no longer young but even when I was, I would freely admit that I could cook (and I can!). I would cook for the guys I dated and I enjoyed doing it. I still love cooking for my husband and my daughter - I enjoy seeing them enjoy something I made for them. In all this time though, I never found that being able to cook netted me fewer dinner dates. 

I also find that my diet is much better and my weight is more stable when I cook. Eating out is what often leads to weight gain because the portion sizes are huge and there are hidden calories and fats 

I think this is very different today as women often "date" just one man and have to wait years, sometimes decades for a ring, meanwhile the man gets a lot of the benefit of marriage while the women don't get the benefit that women get out of marriage.  

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Seriously though, I'm beginning to think that even Michael's "lies" are producer driven. 

How can the producers get Michael to lie about everything?  He lied to them to get on the show.  Many people doubted that no one in his family had ever married. Not sure about they truth about his Yoga teaching or what he told them about his employment.  I doubt they checked.

Edited by Kira53
lack of proof reading
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

I think that was just all part of the script.

1 hour ago, MyTwoCents said:

Meka is NOT unreasonable! Is it unreasonable to want a husband who doesn’t lie every time he opens his mouth? Is it unreasonable to start questioning everything he says because of numerous lies about all things big and small? Is it unreasonable to want to know what your husband’s job is and how much he makes? How dare she stand up for herself and not just gullibly swallow his lies and act happy!  And I’d be angry as hell if I were matched with a pathological liar!

And Meka is nothing like Sheila.

I don't think Meka is unreasonable either. The reason I threw the word "unreasonable" in there is to describe how Sheila came across to her husband (can't remember his name).

What I meant is that, to me, it seems that each season there is a black couple that is portrayed in this manner:  

wife= angry/unreasonable

husband=victim

BTW, Derek and Katie can fit that bill too, BUT they have a sexual relationship and they manage to get along sometimes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kira53 said:

Social science says that men are more visual and I'm sure that there are people that didn't realize that they couldn't even try to have a relationship with someone that aren't attractive to them.  These are the people that if "first sight" is not a turn on they can't even try to connect. 

Haha, based on your information above,, I have created a template for the MAFS counselors to use to ask the men, and making the "perfect" match:

Height
[   ] 4'10 - 5'2"
[   ] 5'3" - 5'4"
[   ] 5'5" - 5'6"
[   ] 5'7" - 5'9"
[   ] 5'10" - 6'0"
[   ] 6''1" and up

Hair
[   ] Black
[   ] Brunette
[   ] Blonde
[   ] Redhead
[   ] Auburn
[   ] Natural
[   ] Straight
[   ] Curly
[   ] Long
[   ] Mid
[   ] Short

Body Type
[   ] Athletic
[   ] Thin
[   ] Statuesque

Face
[   ] Round
[   ] Angular
[   ] Cute, pixie
[   ] Long
[   ] Dignified

Breasts (Cup)
[   ] A
[   ] B
[   ] C
[   ] D
[   ] DD, +

Crazy
[   ] None
[   ] Some
[   ] A lot

• LOL 8

I think this is very different today as women often "date" just one man and have to wait years, sometimes decades for a ring, meanwhile the man gets a lot of the benefit of marriage while the women don't get the benefit that women get out of marriage.  

Wha?

Women don't "have to" wait for a ring. They can propose themselves; make clear their desire to get married and then exit the relationship if it's not moving quickly enough toward marriage for their liking; choose to stay in a relationship knowing that their partner isn't ready for marriage. They have choices though they may not always like them. 

Most of the young people I know don't date a single person for a long time. There's a lot of "hooking up/friends with benefits" types of relationships - sex with no strings attached. There's a lot of hanging around in groups. But I don't know too many younger women who date a single person for years and year and years, hoping and praying for the ring. They date and break up or date and get married or date and don't get married. 

I'm not sure what "benefits of marriage" that men get that women do not during the dating relationship. I don't know any man who ever dated a woman because he wasn't capable of cooking and wanted someone to do it for him. I think both men and women enjoy sex and you don't have to be married to do that. Plenty of women choose to have children as single women and that's actually harder, less common and less socially accepted for men to do so a heterosexual male who wants to be a dad has more pressure to marry than a single woman does.

I'm just not into the whole trope that men won't buy the cow if they can get the milk for free. People get married (or not) for a whole variety of reasons but I don't think it's primarily to have someone to cook, clean and have sex with. I could do (and did) all that stuff for many years without being married.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

If they took them off I might try watching more. Deleted part of the way through last time because I couldn't deal with her anymore. They give her way too much camera time & I find her annoying AF.

I find Jamie & Doug very odd here since she hosts the aftershow (whatever it's called- i don't watch). Isn't it sort of a conflict of interest since she has to objectively "interview" the contestants and then she's there on the couch commenting on the episodes with Doug. Too much Jamie to begin with but you can't be objective then otherwise.... JMO. 

Also did anyone catch Taylor toasting thr couples in the kitchen when they got to the retreat? "To the final CAST! We made it!" That was gross. 

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Wha?

Women don't "have to" wait for a ring. They can propose themselves; make clear their desire to get married and then exit the relationship if it's not moving quickly enough toward marriage for their liking; choose to stay in a relationship knowing that their partner isn't ready for marriage. They have choices though they may not always like them. 

Most of the young people I know don't date a single person for a long time. There's a lot of "hooking up/friends with benefits" types of relationships - sex with no strings attached. There's a lot of hanging around in groups. But I don't know too many younger women who date a single person for years and year and years, hoping and praying for the ring. They date and break up or date and get married or date and don't get married. 

I'm not sure what "benefits of marriage" that men get that women do not during the dating relationship. I don't know any man who ever dated a woman because he wasn't capable of cooking and wanted someone to do it for him. I think both men and women enjoy sex and you don't have to be married to do that. Plenty of women choose to have children as single women and that's actually harder, less common and less socially accepted for men to do so a heterosexual male who wants to be a dad has more pressure to marry than a single woman does.

I'm just not into the whole trope that men won't buy the cow if they can get the milk for free. People get married (or not) for a whole variety of reasons but I don't think it's primarily to have someone to cook, clean and have sex with. I could do (and did) all that stuff for many years without being married.

YES. I'd give this 10 hearts if I could. Women are not as helpless (and reliant on men) as some make them out to be.

• Love 6