Type keyword(s) to search

Ed and Rosemarie: The Long and the Short of It

• Start Topic

On 6/5/2020 at 2:15 PM, MrBuhBye said:

In The Politician about a student council election on Netflix no one is likeable either.  After The Sopranos showed that the public can embrace a protagonist who is a bad guy, more and more shows have followed that path.

I find there are numerous series on Netflix especially that all of the characters are basically unlikeable.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, silverspoons said:

Ed is really charging $400 for a 10 minute zoom call with him? Does he think that he is that big a star? 

Yes, yes he does. When you see him post shit like randoms on the street leaning in for a photo op, I wonder if he charges them on the spot! I look at those folks and I think they're not really wanting a photo of him because they love him, it's to show their friends, "Hey, look at the douche nugget we saw today!"

• Love 8

Well color me surprised.  I was reading a story titled, "Ancient Bones Offer Clues To How Long Ago Humans Cared For The Vulnerable."  (Personally, I'd put a hyphen between "long" and "ago.")

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/06/17/878896381/ancient-bones-offer-clues-to-how-long-ago-humans-cared-for-the-vulnerable

One of the specimens was a "twisted, hunched skeleton of a man" and just as I was thinking about that, I got to the next paragraph, where it said the man had Klippel-Feil syndrome.  Hey, I know Klippel-Feil syndrome! 

Of course it's too embarrassing to admit anywhere but here how I know Klippel-Feil syndrome.  But good for the network for putting the "learning" back into TLC.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Well color me surprised.  I was reading a story titled, "Ancient Bones Offer Clues To How Long Ago Humans Cared For The Vulnerable."  (Personally, I'd put a hyphen between "long" and "ago.")

And you would be correct to do so.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/06/17/878896381/ancient-bones-offer-clues-to-how-long-ago-humans-cared-for-the-vulnerable

One of the specimens was a "twisted, hunched skeleton of a man" and just as I was thinking about that, I got to the next paragraph, where it said the man had Klippel-Feil syndrome.  Hey, I know Klippel-Feil syndrome! 

Of course it's too embarrassing to admit anywhere but here how I know Klippel-Feil syndrome.  But good for the network for putting the "learning" back into TLC.

May explain Ed’s caveman attitudes toward Rose.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

wait a minute. On the Strikes Back show Ed said he wouldn't use hair conditioner because of all the "bad chemicals" but instead he puts mayo on his hair because the BLACK DYE he uses irritates his scalp? 

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

wait a minute. On the Strikes Back show Ed said he wouldn't use hair conditioner because of all the "bad chemicals" but instead he puts mayo on his hair because the BLACK DYE he uses irritates his scalp? 

Not to mention the preservatives and chemicals that come in Mayo. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I think the bracelets look nice enough.  I'm not much of a jewelry person because it's too much to coordinate.  But it looks like what people who wear peasant skirts could get away with. 

Never underestimate the power of people wanting to support a cause.  I used to pay for a premium soap brand partially because it was made by and the proceeds help to eradicate sex trafficking victims in Nepal I think?  Or another country.  

The soap was good, but I choose them out of like 50 brands because I was happy to support the cause, and I needed soap. 

Now I make my own soap, so I support no one (though I'll likely donate my soaps to a shelter)

Anyways, tl;dr....the story might help sell some bracelets. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, gingerella said:

Why doesn't she sell something made my Filipino women? It's so weird to sell Thai-made bracelets instead of things made in the Philippines.

I agree.  I think the answer is that the only cause Rose wants people to support is her and she can make a bigger profit by selling already made imported goods than making them herself or hiring other Filipinas to make them.  I trust her and her sincerity as much as I trust anyone else's from this franchise-which is to say I don't trust any of them.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, gingerella said:

Why doesn't she sell something made my Filipino women? It's so weird to sell Thai-made bracelets instead of things made in the Philippines.

I say that every time we have a local festival. Why, when we live in an area known for its folkart, are half the booths selling mass produced stuff made in China? 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Ed could make home made mayo if he had a Vitamix or Blendtec or other higher end blender that could make such things.

We've always just made ours in a bowl with a handheld beater. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, gingerella said:

Not sure what the start up costs would be for something like that.  I agree that the story would be much better.  But with the soap company I bought from, I think they had quite a bit of help, training and probably start up funding from a well to do benefactor.  

I can't say that finances are the reason, perhaps it's because rose is really very selfish.....I don't know. 

But having dipped my toe into the world of soaping, I can see how start up costs would be expensive when converting a craft into a business.

And it would be particularly risky if you don't know demand. If I started a business, I could afford to have unsold inventory and continue soaping.  I'm not sure rose has that luxury.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, gingerella said:

I had the same question. Looks like some cheap glass or plastic beads and twine, they must cost next to nothing to make and don't look like they require a lot of skill, so why can't local women be doing the work? Rose probably buys them from Thailand (maybe sourced from her Flip Flop Store vendor) for pennies, and then plans to sell them at a comparatively large profit while claiming a portion of sales will go to "local single mothers" in her country. Hmmmm. We've seen 90 Day-ers doing this before, using their exposure on the show to sell things online. Darcey, Nicole and Tania come to mind right now, I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. Maybe even starting an online business was what her sister tried to get Ed to give her money for. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

My guess is since Thailand's sex industry is more infamous someone's mission to save workers from there manufactured the products. Whereas a missionary had not targeted local Filipino sex workers to change their labor 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, RealReality said:

Not sure what the start up costs would be for something like that.  I agree that the story would be much better.  But with the soap company I bought from, I think they had quite a bit of help, training and probably start up funding from a well to do benefactor.  

I can't say that finances are the reason, perhaps it's because rose is really very selfish.....I don't know. 

But having dipped my toe into the world of soaping, I can see how start up costs would be expensive when converting a craft into a business.

And it would be particularly risky if you don't know demand. If I started a business, I could afford to have unsold inventory and continue soaping.  I'm not sure rose has that luxury.  

The Thai company may have taken on the upfront costs for her. She may not have had such an offer from the Philippines.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 6/27/2020 at 8:45 PM, Frozendiva said:

Ed could make home made mayo if he had a Vitamix or Blendtec or other higher end blender that could make such things.

Yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I wouldn't buy Ed special mayo, or any container of white goo in a jar from Ed. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Rose made a video touring her house and throws shade at Ed, but I only made through the first two minutes of the twelve minute video, so I don't know what it was she said about him

On 6/22/2020 at 11:53 PM, magemaud said:

And he can Nair his chest and back with his precious 1000 count thread sheet skin? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Meowwww said:

And he can Nair his chest and back with his precious 1000 count thread sheet skin? 

Seriously. Nair is some crazy stuff. I tried using it on my bikini area once and it burned like hell. Got up the next morning, started to use the bathroom, and had trouble pulling down my underwear. It's like they were stuck to me. When I finally got them off I saw that my entire pelvic region was covered in hundreds of tiny, oozing blisters. The blood was what caused the fabric to stick.

I realize that not everyone has this reaction, but for a man who chooses mayo over conditioner because of the "chemicals" I find it odd that he has no trouble slathering on something that's literally meant to pull off your hair.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I realize that not everyone has this reaction, but for a man who chooses mayo over conditioner because of the "chemicals" I find it odd that he has no trouble slathering on something that's literally meant to pull off your hair.

Weird ideas that invade my mind.  

Wouldn't it be great if someone emptied out a mayonnaise jar and filled it with Nair and then put it in Ed's fridge?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
On 6/27/2020 at 5:07 PM, seacliffsal said:

I agree.  I think the answer is that the only cause Rose wants people to support is her and she can make a bigger profit by selling already made imported goods than making them herself or hiring other Filipinas to make them.  I trust her and her sincerity as much as I trust anyone else's from this franchise-which is to say I don't trust any of them.  

You may be right on the money about Rose, but I have trouble thinking about "trust" and someone who is as poor as she is.  I give her and her sister a pass on making money any way they can (short of outright illegality).  If she can make a bigger profit selling Thai-manufactured goods, then god bless her.

I have a lot more trouble trusting (whatever that means in this context) Ed, who was so selfish and petty about whether Rose knew her sister had asked him for money.  Him with his thousand-count sheets, sending someone who sleeps on a mat on the floor sexy lingerie and expecting her to be grateful for it.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 7/2/2020 at 7:36 PM, Christina said:

Rose made a video touring her house and throws shade at Ed, but I only made through the first two minutes of the twelve minute video, so I don't know what it was she said about him

The shade was mild. Looking at her house through my spoiled U.S. eyes I just see extreme squalor. Yet, she's as proud as anyone doing an Architectural Digest tour of their home. She's so happy and pleased with her surroundings, so I have an even clearer understanding now of how Ed's reactions must have stung. I admit that I would feel just as uncomfortable as Ed but I wouldn't look down on her like he did. It's difficult not to sound like I'm being condescending in an "oh, look, the poor girl is so proud, bless her heart." Why shouldn't she? If my privileged ass was giving a tour of the cheap but nice two-bedroom, two-floor townhouse that I rent and live in alone, I'd be making excuses about stupid shit like the old kitchen cabinets. My place is like a freakin' mansion in comparison and even the trailer houses I grew up in were well-kept by my mom, but I rarely ever stop to appreciate the standard of living I have simply because I happened to be born in this country.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 14
13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Seriously. Nair is some crazy stuff. I tried using it on my bikini area once and it burned like hell. Got up the next morning, started to use the bathroom, and had trouble pulling down my underwear. It's like they were stuck to me. When I finally got them off I saw that my entire pelvic region was covered in hundreds of tiny, oozing blisters. The blood was what caused the fabric to stick.

I can ONLY use Nair on like my calf area.  If I go above the knee I can a similar reaction. I made the mistake once and thank goodness I work from home because I was itchy all day in all the wrong places.  

• Love 3

Everyone probably agrees that Ed was a complete ass and would have found fault with anything that was not a four-star hotel, but when she first showed her home on the show, other than the store area being cluttered and unorganized, I didn't think the living areas were bad, let along extreme squalor. That is not directed at the person who used the term, which is why I'm not quoting it, I'm just struck by the fact my life experience being in and working with people living in poverty isn't as average as I thought it was. Her home was clean and the living areas were neat, just small. 

I couldn't handle the video because of her voice. I suffer from hearing loss, which results in recorded voices having a bit of a squeal to them, especially when the octave is high like Rose's in that video and Annie on Pillow Talk. It is nails on the chalkboard and you can't adjust YouTube videos well enough. There were subtitles but I gave up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 7/4/2020 at 3:41 AM, Christina said:

, I didn't think the living areas were bad, let along extreme squalor. That is not directed at the person who used the term, which is why I'm not quoting it, I'm just struck by the fact my life experience being in and working with people living in poverty isn't as average as I thought it was. Her home was clean and the living areas were neat, just small. 

It's okay, I did use that term but the picture I had in my head was of the outside area with the dirt and all the junk piled up. The living areas did appear clean. I forgot to mention that even someone like me who is not really a kid person thinks that it's Ed's loss because Prince is so adorable in the video!

• Love 4
On 7/3/2020 at 5:58 PM, RealReality said:

I can ONLY use Nair on like my calf area.  If I go above the knee I can a similar reaction. I made the mistake once and thank goodness I work from home because I was itchy all day in all the wrong places.  

I tried it a few times back in the day and I remember it making my legs itch. I stopped using it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I tried it a few times back in the day and I remember it making my legs itch. I stopped using it. 

Every three to four years I'll forget how irritating Nair can be and I'll try it again and spend a week with a very embarrassing itch, but very smooth legs. 

This time though I noticed that my calf area was fine.  It's that thinner skin above the knee that was really problematic.  Can't remember if I naired my armpits.  Seems like something I'd try and regret. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/3/2020 at 1:56 PM, Scout Finch said:

The shade was mild. Looking at her house through my spoiled U.S. eyes I just see extreme squalor. Yet, she's as proud as anyone doing an Architectural Digest tour of their home. She's so happy and pleased with her surroundings, so I have an even clearer understanding now of how Ed's reactions must have stung. I admit that I would feel just as uncomfortable as Ed but I wouldn't look down on her like he did. It's difficult not to sound like I'm being condescending in an "oh, look, the poor girl is so proud, bless her heart." Why shouldn't she? If my privileged ass was giving a tour of the cheap but nice two-bedroom, two-floor townhouse that I rent and live in alone, I'd be making excuses about stupid shit like the old kitchen cabinets. My place is like a freakin' mansion in comparison and even the trailer houses I grew up in were well-kept by my mom, but I rarely ever stop to appreciate the standard of living I have simply because I happened to be born in this country.

Her shade was mild and funny without even saying his name, like just mentioning the rat mouse. Ed said she got a house make over like she got some huge payout. She  admitted to getting some paint and painting her little area pink and buying a piece of foam maybe 6  to 8 inches thick to use for her and prince to sleep on and a fan for above her bed ( big make over Ed). She was very proud of her changes. She also seems so proud of her son.  She washed her clothes by hands with a smile. I bet Ed could not do this once. It did not bother her a bit, she smiled and talked and washed every item by hand, rinsed and softened by hand. After that I will not complain when my washing machine gets load because I do not even the load. Also not to justify Asuleo but I can see if all he has ever seen is his grandma washing by hand everything piece of clothes in his hut and then sees Kalini throw a load int he washer and press a button, how he sees this as easy. It is probably coming off wrong. We had neighbors from Vietnam and they had their 6 year old do his laundry. Some neighbors said that is too young , almost were saying abuse. The mom explained she would walk miles to a river and do it by hand in Vietnam and she did not understand how her son putting clothes in a machine and pressing a button was hard or something meant for only older kids. She kept saying all you do is press a button over and over to the neighbors. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, silverspoons said:

The mom explained she would walk miles to a river and do it by hand in Vietnam 

Through snow and Yankee machine gun fire, uphill both ways!

Ed: that's not fair, I have a medical condition that causes that!!!

Also Ed: Rose's breath is awful. Have I told you how awful it was? It was really, really awful. And did you know Stephanie has an illness?

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Ed: that's not fair, I have a medical condition that causes that!!!

Also Ed: Rose's breath is awful. Have I told you how awful it was? It was really, really awful. And did you know Stephanie has an illness?

Well she did “pass out” so who knows what foul smelling thing was in her mouth.

(edited)
59 minutes ago, gingerella said:

For people who lived through that war, or whose families did, this probably isn't very funny.

It’s an old joke from the Depression/WWII generation “We had to walk six miles to school uphill both ways through snow and Jerry machine gun fire.” I heard it all the time as a kid. Followed usually by something like “And you won’t mow the lawn.”

Edited by Gobi
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 7/3/2020 at 12:56 PM, Scout Finch said:

I though she seemed very animated to the point of being ridiculous - I find her extremely annoying.

1 minute ago, endure said:

I thought she seemed very animated to the point of being ridiculous - I find her extremely annoying.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Gobi said:

It’s an old joke from the Depression/WWII generation “We had to walk six miles to school uphill both ways through snow and Jerry machine gun fire.” I heard it all the time as a kid. Followed usually by something like “And you won’t mow the lawn.”

Same. It was the people who'd been through the war that I heard all of that from. 

• Love 3