Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

At the Turners, Shelagh receives a phone call from the Hong Kong adoption agency, which has the alarming news that someone from May's past has arrived in the UK and wants to see the little girl. Meanwhile, Valerie's cousin Maureen is heavily pregnant and hoping her baby will be born on Thursday, the same date as her father and grandfather. However, her due date isn't so soon and keen to bring on the birth, Maureen takes a big risk by secretly taking castor oil - with potentially disastrous consequences.

Airs February 9, 2020.

Well, this is one of the episodes to point out when people call the show schmaltzy and full of sugar-coating. 

The episode suffered a bit from an abundance of plots. One of the tragic plots would have been enough. Warren's fate was given ample room for the tragedy to unfold but Esther's felt rushed. And I thought a deeper look to some of the underlying issues on the Hong Kong adoption project was warranted. Maybe the Turners will acknowledge further on that Esther made some good points - sadly she made them mostly when talking to Sister Julienne.

Good to see Doctor McNulty again. I was glad that the show did not immediately rush him into scenes with Valerie and I quite enjoyed his interactions with Sister Francis. They had a good dynamic and it would be interesting to see a friendship develop between the two. Male-female friendships are still a rare thing on tv. Quite frankly I would prefer that to a rushed romance with Valerie. Speaking of romance: I wish I could see more chemistry between Lucille and Cyril.

Random notes: Sister Julienne finally came clear so everybody knows that trouble lies ahead. Fred's gardening plot was sweet but I wish the show would stop using the character for the necessary uplifting B-plots. And second time in a row now that Trixie brought up her godmother. What are the chances that this mysterious and apparently quite affluent lady will show up soon?

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Hasseltine said:

I have never cried so much at this show as I did at the reveal of Sister Monica Joan's garden tribute to Nonnatus being all the babies. 

I managed to keep it together until Lucille placed the little flower pot with Warren's picture among the other babies 😢

• Love 22
17 hours ago, Hasseltine said:

I have never cried so much at this show as I did at the reveal of Sister Monica Joan's garden tribute to Nonnatus being all the babies. 

I started when Dr Turner was crying in his car, and then my sobbing kept coming!

Edited by purist
  • Love 12

We definitely have not seen the last of May's birth mum.  I so hope there won't be a sad ending for May and the Turners because I don't think my tear ducts could handle it. 😞

• Love 3

For US viewers on PBS: episode 6 is now available on the PBS app; it probably dropped last night?  Not sure if you need to be a Passport member to access it.

12 minutes ago, Rhetorica said:

I've been weepy enough these last few weeks, so the waterworks broke tonight! Sweetness one minute and tragedy the next. Still, such a good episode.

Oh, geez, that was a three hanky episode for sure.  It was wonderful.

However, did I miss something with the menstrual cramps piece?  They acted like McNulty gave her heroine or something with all of the serious side glances.  Or is this setting our young nun up to have a crush on the new doctor?  I didn't get that at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 2/10/2020 at 5:56 AM, MissLucas said:

Good to see Doctor McNulty again. I was glad that the show did not immediately rush him into scenes with Valerie and I quite enjoyed his interactions with Sister Francis.

Yes but what was the med he gave he, sounded like Methidine?  Is that an opiate? Sister Frances going to be come addicted?  She seemed to be rummaging through the med cabinet.  That could be an interesting story line. Phylis would notice the missing drugs and Trixie could mentor Sister Francis on addiction.

ERA:  Koloha3 I would prefer an addiction story rather than another nun falling for a Dr story

Also I didn't get the Fred story, why was the horticultural show cancelled in the first place?

Edited by Blackie
eta
  • Love 5
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Yes but what was the med he gave he, sounded like Methidine?  Is that an opiate? Sister Frances going to be come addicted?  

I had to go back and rerun that scene on my DVR. It was Pethidine which is a synthetic narcotic so that explains the drama.  It is addictive.

Edited by Kohola3
spelling
  • Useful 6

I felt a bit uncomfortable with the appearance of Mai’s mother.  Being of British background the whole British superiority raised its ugly head to me.  The questioning of whether Mai’s birth mum could care for her properly despite the fact the woman spoke excellent English, dressed smartly and had a job.  The discussion with the adoption lady of “oh but what if Mai goes back to the orphanage” smacked of typical Brit colonialism.  I suspect scenes were cut yet again.  Why PBS insists on its 60’s nostalgia scenes at the end instead of leaving the scenes in, I don’t know.  But the scene of Cyril showing up for Lucille moved my little black heart.  Still love this show.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Bunnyette said:

Why PBS insists on its 60’s nostalgia scenes at the end instead of leaving the scenes in, I don’t know.

Or the "previously on Call the Midwife" when the scenes they show were stand alone stories and we aren't going to see those characters again.  Tonight since it didn't have such a long Viking Cruise commercial I thought maybe no scenes would be cut, but it was the usual shoving of too many storylines and quick edits that make no sense.

I did cry tonight, I haven't for awhile at this show.

I did laugh at the Castor Oil story.  22 years ago when my water broke and my contractions didn't start, as a last resort my midwife suggested I try castor oil.  It tasted HORRIFIC and I think I willed myself to start contractions because I didn't want to take a second dose.  lol

Funny, tonight after watching the show, I saw an article in the Toronto Star with a big picture of my midwife from 22 years ago and I got to show it to my son who is "isolating " with us.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:
1 hour ago, Rhetorica said:

I've been weepy enough these last few weeks, so the waterworks broke tonight! Sweetness one minute and tragedy the next. Still, such a good episode.

Oh, geez, that was a three hanky episode for sure.  It was wonderful.

About a month ago, there was an article suggesting shows to watch.  Under the heading of “TV for people who can't take any more stress right now”, this show was recommended, for its inspiring moments.  I thought what show had they been watching,  yes, there are those moments but these stories can be very stressful.  Maybe it is the idea of having a cathartic cry.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Bunnyette said:

I felt a bit uncomfortable with the appearance of Mai’s mother.  Being of British background the whole British superiority raised its ugly head to me.  The questioning of whether Mai’s birth mum could care for her properly despite the fact the woman spoke excellent English, dressed smartly and had a job.  The discussion with the adoption lady of “oh but what if Mai goes back to the orphanage” smacked of typical Brit colonialism.  I suspect scenes were cut yet again.  Why PBS insists on its 60’s nostalgia scenes at the end instead of leaving the scenes in, I don’t know.  But the scene of Cyril showing up for Lucille moved my little black heart.  Still love this show.

No one cared that Mei's mother was Chinese.  The problem was that she was a drug addict who had a history of deserting Mei and/or abusing her.  She would put her in the orphanage and then take her out and then put her back again and then take her out and then put her back in over and over.  

And although she appears to have straightened herself out and gotten a good job, there's no guarantee she would keep that job if her employers found out she had a child of her own.

• Useful 2
  • Love 19

This was the best episode of this show I have seen in a while. The Nonnatus House “Flowers” had me crying because it was so beautiful. Sister Monica Joan often irks me but when she is on, she is on fire! 

• Love 15

The rubella baby storyline was so heartbreaking. Antivaxxers would have us going back to those days. Could that baby’s heart be repaired today, I wonder. I loved Lucille placing Warren’s picture and the flowers next to St. Raymond. 😥

• Love 21
3 hours ago, Bunnyette said:

The mother is an ex drug addict who abandoned her child previously (which is how she ended up with the Turners to begin with), & they said that if the family she was being a nanny for found out she had a child, she wouldn't have a job anymore. Also, she hadn't seen Mai in a long enough time that Mai no longer understood Chinese. So even though she's Mai's birth mother, she would be an out of work, ex addict & we have no idea if she has any kind of support system back in Hong Kong. Just because she gave birth to Mai doesn't make her the best mother.

• Love 15

I liked tonight's show and the flower garden was beautiful. I teared up when Warren's picture was placed with the others. I know they always cut things out but not as glaring this time.

Mae's story was sad, she is loved and protected with the Turners but her mom had a point (especially then) about growing up Chinese with a family that wasn't. I'm not sure in UK how it was in that time period but I know in US it wasn't common as it is now. I wonder how they will handle, if show is still on, when she notices the differences and cares to some degree. Since it's only only until 1970, I'm not sure it will be an issue.

I like McNulty being back and I wonder what addiction he will have. I have a feeling Ms Higgins will have some "looking down her nose" comments for sure!  I think no matter what he will be a welcome addition for a while and I hope for others in the future.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

had to go back and rerun that scene on my DVR. It was Pethidine which is a synthetic narcotic so that explains the drama.  It is addictive.

Thanks for figuring that out.  I couldn't hear what he said and thought it might be an early version of Midol.  Darn.  I don't want Sister Frances addicted and I don't Want McNulty to have caused it.  He seems so nice and well meaning.

The Rubella story reminded me of Gene Tierney (big movie star of the 40's).  Her daughter was born with heart trouble, deafness, cataracts and severe mental retardation from  contacting someone with the illness during her first trimester.  Many years later she met a woman who proudly said she was such a big fan she had come out to meet her at that premiere even though she had been ill at the time with the Measles. 

• Sad 2
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

The Rubella story reminded me of Gene Tierney (big movie star of the 40's).  Her daughter was born with heart trouble, deafness, cataracts and severe mental retardation from  contacting someone with the illness during her first trimester.  Many years later she met a woman who proudly said she was such a big fan she had come out to meet her at that premiere even though she had been ill at the time with the Measles. 

There’s a great Agatha Christie novel with that same plot.  I think it’s called “The Mirror Crack’d.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

There’s a great Agatha Christie novel with that same plot.  I think it’s called “The Mirror Crack’d.”

Yes, and it's one of the few where I figured out the murderer because I knew the Gene Tierney story!  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I like McNulty being back and I wonder what addiction he will have.

Wasn't it the other doctor with the famous father that was a drinker,not McNulty?  Why would he have an addiction?  I think he was really trying to help Sr. Frances and back then drugs were given quite freely - think of the legions of "nervous" women who were prescribed and subsequently hooked on Valium!

• Love 5

Because he wasn't drinking or indulging. I suspected even though I had a son who hated alcohol that it was more. The other doctor had a more active problem which Trixie I feel recognized but I felt McNulty would be more subtle.

5 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Wasn't it the other doctor with the famous father that was a drinker,not McNulty?  Why would he have an addiction?  I think he was really trying to help Sr. Frances and back then drugs were given quite freely - think of the legions of "nervous" women who were prescribed and subsequently hooked on Valium!

My mom was given Valium and Librium like candy for a short while when she was having trouble I think dealing with 4 kids and being homebound. I remember her yelling a lot and just being unpredictable and the saying the doctor told her to take a pill when she was frazzled. I think she misunderstood because she took them too often and our thankfully wise doctor, wouldn't renew the prescription. Many back then would have. She wasn't happy but he actually told her in the 60's she would have to find other ways to deal with her issues. I don't remember anything very dramatic so I am assuming she did, didn't drink but started to let things go a bit and relax, sometimes you just can't do it all.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

I don't want Sister Frances addicted and I don't Want McNulty to have caused it.  He seems so nice and well meaning.

Well this is timely though as a lot of regular people have got addicted to pain killers from Dr's who thought they were helping them.  The only person I have had contact with that i know for sure who was addicted to opioids was a 85 year old retired school principal. I think this storyline good be very interesting if they dedicate some time to it, not just snippets and half the scenes edited out

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Yes, I think of McNulty as a good guy, but then I think my surgeon who treated me for a broken leg ten years ago is a good guy and he pushed Percocet on me so hard I'm sure I would have become addicted if I hadn't been stubborn and disobedient and failed to fill the prescriptions he gave me at every visit.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Could that baby’s heart be repaired today, I wonder.

Yes, they do it all the time at Boston Children’s, which was the first hospital to do the procedure.  They usually see the defect on ultrasound and then correct the heart within a few days of birth.  Children’s can also do it before birth, they were the first to do that too.  Its still a multiple surgery procedure, but their success rate is 98%.  I used to work there, it’s an amazing place.  Poor little Warren.

• Useful 5
  • Love 14

I noticed 4 scenes that were in the original UK broadcast, but were cut out of the PBS one:

Shelagh and Patrick discussing whether they should tell Angela she is adopted.  Shelagh is afraid it could upset her, but then Patrick says she knows what it means for May and besides, they do like to be alike.

Shelagh and Tim are talking in the garden the day the Turners are to meet with May's mother.  It's early morning because Tim is in pajamas and he has no product in his hair.  He tells Shelagh he wishes they weren't going to see May's mother.  Shelagh tells him the situation isn't easy for Miss Tang either and then she shows him the pictures she is going to show her.  She worries that if the pictures depict May as being too happy, that it will seem insensitive and that the whole situation is complicated.  Tim says I like that our family is complicated.

Reggie and Fred come in after a visit to the pub and Violet scolds Fred a bit for being tipsy.  He says that they have gotten some good ideas for the horticultural show and that he and Reggie are going to build a "Hanging Gardens of Babylon" to display them.

Dr. Turner, Dr. McNulty and Nurse Anderson are at the Bryants.  Dr. Turner and Mr. Bryant talk about how he hates to leave for work because he doesn't know what he'll find when he comes home.  Dr. Turner, holding Baby Warren, says that he can tell he is being well cared for and that he doesn't think his condition will change yet.  As they are leaving the Bryants, Dr. Turner tells Dr. McNulty that he did very well and Dr. McNulty sighs.  Dr. Turner tells him he'll learn to hold that in.  Dr. McNulty asks if it gets any easier and Dr. Turner tells him no, but you learn to hide it.  "Even when someone is going to lose a child?" Dr. Turner says "No."

• Useful 7
  • Love 6

May I gently point out that the Turners' foster kid's name is spelled "May"? 

"Season 8 sees the Turner family welcome May Tang into their family as her foster daughter"

https://www.pbs.org/call-the-midwife/cast-characters/shelagh-turner

If she's going to be featured more in upcoming episodes, we ought to get her name right.

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

The Rubella story reminded me of Gene Tierney (big movie star of the 40's). 

Thank you!  My mother told me that story a million years ago, and I of course immediately thought of it during this episode.  But I couldn't for the life of me remember which movie star.

• Love 5

I had a friend who had a severely handicapped child due to rubella exposure, and this was in the mid-80s.  We were born in 1965, and back then, you only got a measles vaccine, not a MMR.  We all got the MMR in 1st grade (1971) but there was a batch that went to the midwest that was flawed, and they think that's the one we got.  So she was never vaccinated against rubella or even exposed until she was pregnant. He lived until he was in his 20s, but died from a seizure. 

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

There's a British soap opera called "Coronation Street" that had a storyline earlier this year where a pregnant woman miscarried after getting rubella when she came into contact with another baby who had the disease.  It turned out his father was supposed to get the baby vaccinated but didn't because he was worried that the shot would be too painful for him.

• Love 2

I don't think Sister Frances will become addicted.  I think she was more embarrassed that Dr McNulty knew of her problem than anything else, and that she would not purposely seek him out the next time.  She seemed reluctant to take the medicine.

When I was a teenager in the 70's, I also suffered from severe cramps.  Most of the time I could handle them but there were some months when it was really unbearable, to the point where I would pass out.  My mother got me an appointment with her OB-GYN (who had delivered me), and he prescribed the mini-pill , which stopped the cramps but gave me horrible acne. When I stopped taking it he prescribed Fiorinal, which, I found out later, is a controlled substance. Luckily, I only took it when the cramps were really bad.  A few years later when I got married I started taking the regular birth control pill and my cramps went away. 

When we were ready to have a baby I stopped the pill and the cramps returned.  My doctor had retired, and the new doctor who had taken over the practice was taken aback when I told him what I had been prescribed. He just said, "Oh, no, let's try something else."  I had no idea I had been taking an addictive drug.  Thank goodness I only used it when absolutely necessary.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, debraran said:

This explains the drug well and I saw it back in Feb forgetting the show was earlier so I hadn't watched this yet. Not too much of a spoiler since most fans know the doctor has some issue and I hope for Sister Francis, it was a one time use since it was for her period.

Aha, so for those who don’t want to read the article, pethidine is Demerol, which most of us probably know as an opioid painkiller even if we didn’t know the generic name.

Lucille's story was touching, and though of course she was quite involved as the principal nurse treating Warren, I was kind of surprised we didn’t see more of Valerie there, just supporting her cousin through it (unless I just missed her, in which case she was really in the background). 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Thanks for figuring that out.  I couldn't hear what he said and thought it might be an early version of Midol.  Darn.  I don't want Sister Frances addicted and I don't Want McNulty to have caused it.  He seems so nice and well meaning.

This is the exact plot line for Agatha Christie's "The Mirror Cracked".

• Love 1
(edited)

Does anyone know who played the adoption agency woman? She looked super familiar, but the episode page on IMBD doesn't seem to have her listed.

I hope they don't go down the road of Sister Frances becoming an addict. Overall that scene was just so awkward! I do like Dr. McNulty, though. It'll be nice to have a young male character who actually serves a purpose to the plot beyond "love interest." (Not that I don't expect him to get a romantic storyline, too, eventually, but all the other love interests have been kind of extraneous; McNulty can at least get other plots, too.)

Speaking of extraneous, the flower show/ exhibition/ whatever felt kind of unnecessary to me, at least the amount of time spent brainstorming over it. Who was in charge of it originally, and why was it suddenly cancelled? Why couldn't it just have been another incubator fundraiser organized by Fred/ Nonnatus to begin with, rather than that weird scene where everyone sat around brainstorming its comeback? Even the ending didn't really work for me (I know, I'm heartless...); all I could think about was how long those babies were expected to lie on the blankets? Were they an exhibit that everyone had to walk past? Yay, lets admire this blanketful of babies! Seems like they would start crying and fussing pretty quick, not to mention some of the more mobile ones rolling or crawling or pulling at their neighbor...

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 4

This is the third episodes this season  where I think I wasn't feeling as much sympathy as I should for a character. This week it was Valerie's cousin, mother of the poor little Rubella baby,  last week it was the over worked woman with fibroids, and before that it was the woman who had a racist reaction to Lucille.  All three times it was because the women were just so very nasty to the midwives.  It can't be all three actresses, so I blame the writing and direction.  I thought the hatefulness was just way over the top and I found it hard to forgive them fast enough for the next event.

27 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Does anyone know who played the adoption agency woman? She looked super familiar, but the episode page on IMBD doesn't seem to have her listed.

I think her name is Charlotte Lucas.  Looks like one of those folks who has been in lots of British TV series.

• Useful 1

I'm old enough that I remember the times before the rubella vaccine was available. I was a kid, but I remember my mom telling me that rubella was not a big deal for most people except if you were going to have a baby. I remember being sobered by that thought, although I didnt know any babies born that had been exposed.

On May, didn't the Turners think May's mother was dead? I imagine if so Miss Tang had to provide proof she was the child's mother. Back then it was hard to single women to be moms, especially without family support, and that was the main basis the Turners have in their favor for keeping her. These days it would be harder to justify, even if the child were to be traumatized by being returned after a long period. I am not sure May remembered Miss Tang at all, and I didn't like that she became more strident as May clung to Sheilagh. Kids often don't remember much before the age of 5. I didn't anyway.

Good storyline for Sister Monica Joan this week, and also liked the kitchen scene with the Dr. and Sister Frances. One thing jarring about his return -when the young men left last time, the midwives and Sisters agreed that alternate accommodations would need to be identified, that they weren't going to have the Dr.s stay at Nonnatus again. And then the Dr. is put in the attic room, no discussion or explanation given.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, willowk said:

One thing jarring about his return -when the young men left last time, the midwives and Sisters agreed that alternate accommodations would need to be identified, that they weren't going to have the Dr.s stay at Nonnatus again. And then the Dr. is put in the attic room, no discussion or explanation given.

Dr. McNulty mentioned that the boarding house he planned to stay in had been/ was about to be demolished (which seems a bit odd... wouldn't they know that in advance and stop taking prospective boarders?), so apparently Nonnatus House accommodated him. I can see how taking in one guy would be a bit easier than four.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Dr. McNulty mentioned that the boarding house he planned to stay in had been/ was about to be demolished (which seems a bit odd... wouldn't they know that in advance and stop taking prospective boarders?), so apparently Nonnatus House accommodated him. I can see how taking in one guy would be a bit easier than four.

Thanks - I must have missed that bit of dialogue.

8 minutes ago, willowk said:

On May, didn't the Turners think May's mother was dead? I imagine if so Miss Tang had to provide proof she was the child's mother. 

Yes, they thought she had died at least two years ago, but it turns out she was a drug addict.  Miss Williams told Shelagh that Miss Tang had a "credible claim" to be May's mother.

I was sympathetic to both sides of that story.

• Love 6
(edited)

The rubella story line resonated with me. I was born in 1957 and was seriously ill with rubella when I was 6. Back then, there were two types of measles that kids in school would get. The 3 day measles, which wasn't a big deal and the German measles - rubella, which could be a big deal. I was so sick that I had an IV set up in my bedroom (back then, Drs made house calls and they didn't want me to get any sicker from something else in a hospital) and my mom called a priest. I had an extremely high fever for three days and they thought I was going to die.

Fast forward to the early 80's. I was an emergency room clerk and worked with a young man who was profoundly deaf due to his mom, a nurse, being exposed to rubella when she was pregnant. The hospital I worked at was involved in a study of some sort and they asked employees who had had rubella to donate blood for the study. I remember being thrilled at being compensated a whopping $25 for a few tubes of my blood. 

I thought the baby Warren story was very well done. My eyes were leaking pretty profusely and they really let it go when Sr Monica Joan called for all of the babies.

Edited by lovesnark
  • Love 5

Is Sister Monica Joan supposed to have dementia or Alzheimer's?  Would someone if either of these conditions have such a huge vocabulary?  I have a friend who has dementia, and she's always repeating the same comments.  I don't see MJ doing that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Is Sister Monica Joan supposed to have dementia or Alzheimer's?  Would someone if either of these conditions have such a huge vocabulary?  I have a friend who has dementia, and she's always repeating the same comments.  I don't see MJ doing that.

There are many types of dementia, Alzheimer's being one of them. My Dad's form mainly affected his short term memory. He could recall things in detail that happened years ago, but couldn't remember if he'd taken his meds or eaten. He also would have sporadic trouble remembering how to do something, like write a check. He never lost any vocabulary and only repeated himself occasionally. Keeping a routine was extremely helpful in managing the symptoms and he was able to stay in his own home until he died at 85 years of age. Fortunately, I lived next door and was able to care for him for the last couple of years of his life. There are a million variables to each person and what form of dementia they have.

I think Sister Monica Joan has a type of dementia that is managed with routine and Sister Julienne's watchful eye. It's not uncommon for someone like her to maintain their vocabulary and to remember passages from the books she so loves. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Blackie said:

Yes but what was the med he gave he, sounded like Methidine?  Is that an opiate? Sister Frances going to be come addicted?  She seemed to be rummaging through the med cabinet.  That could be an interesting story line. Phylis would notice the missing drugs and Trixie could mentor Sister Francis on addiction.

ERA:  Koloha3 I would prefer an addiction story rather than another nun falling for a Dr story

Also I didn't get the Fred story, why was the horticultural show cancelled in the first place?

This is funny because I felt like he was trying to get close to her so that HE could get into the medicine...and that she seemed suspicious at the end?   Is he the same one that was complaining in the other episode that things seemed to come easy for one of the other doctors? 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

This is funny because I felt like he was trying to get close to her so that HE could get into the medicine...and that she seemed suspicious at the end?   Is he the same one that was complaining in the other episode that things seemed to come easy for one of the other doctors? 

I got that impression too.