Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: Four Wives, One House

• Start Topic

Wonder what's happening with Meri's B&B.  Haven't heard anything about it this season.  I am also wondering what happened to Christine's mom, Annie.  Haven't seen hide nor hair of her recently.  

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Wonder what's happening with Meri's B&B.  Haven't heard anything about it this season.  I am also wondering what happened to Christine's mom, Annie.  Haven't seen hide nor hair of her recently.  

Someone else said that Annie moved in with another of her daughters (one of Christine's sisters) shortly after she disappeared from the scene at Meri's B&B.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Really ?  Wow, how sad is that. I am one of 6 kids, came from middle class - never once was there a sign to ask to eat food, but then again. my mom never referred my siblings and I as jerks 

As kids, we knew we were allowed one snack after school and mom usually laid it out on the counter or set it on the top shelf of the fridge.  You could have water.  We knew not to eat anything else.  I can sort of understand if you have 13 other kids coming into your house eating all your food, that might be a problem.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

Yes, it was revealed on IG that Evie has FATCO (Fibular aplasia, tibial campomelia, and oligosyndactyly) syndrome, which involves transverse defects of the ends of limbs associated with congenital heart malformations.  She is missing some fingers and toes, a tibia or fibula in one leg and possibly a radius or ulna in one arm. We do not know the extent of her heart problems.

OMG!  Horrible news.  As much as these people drive me nuts, I don't wish this on anybody.  My heart goes out to Maddie, her husband, and the entire family. 

When was she born?

TY for this information. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Someone please tell me what Kody actually does all day? They say how busy he is -always rushing from wife to wife. And we know it's only 3 wives really. Maybe only 2.  I don't see how that takes up ALL his time.  Really, he needs to be working regularly if he wants that dream house. This reality show is on its last breath. He's got to know that right?

For quite a while (and maybe still happening) the wives were complaining that some of the kids were going weeks without seeing their father (I believe he was and still is spending all of his time at Robin's).  I question why some of the wives would make that statement about him rushing from wife to wife when they know he's not been seeing his kids.  I think the wives often embellish their comments about Kody in their talking heads, making his parenting, their marriages, etc seem much better than it really is and maybe that's what they were doing with their comment about how busy he is.  I noticed in these first 2 episodes this season how giddy Meri has been.  She's been giggling like crazy and her Kody admiration has been sickening.  I guess he'd been paying more attention to her recently and thus we were seeing it's effect on her.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Can you just imagine what it must have been like for Janelle when she was jammed into the mobile home with Meri and Kody.  Meri was a proper bitch to her, snuggling under a blanket with Kody watching TV, while Janelle sat possibly in her peeling pleather chair looking on.  Then there were meal times, where Meri cooked for herself and Kody and left Janelle to her own devices.

The walls in those places are paper thin and I can just imagine the hootin' and hollerin' emanating from the bed chamber of M & K, all for Janelle's benefit.

Well I certainly hope Meri enjoyed herself because all she has now are her memories.

Meri the.Eunuch. or Meri the Nun?

• LOL 8
1 minute ago, Just Wondering said:

It’s interesting that when polygamous “wives” aren’t absolutely forced by necessity to behave like polygamists, they behave like monogamists. 

What do you mean "behave like polygamists"?  Wives either get along or they don't - just like everyone who lives in the same household.

When it comes to the Browns, they have a really strange dynamic I have never seen before.  Either they downplay their religion for the TV viewers or their beliefs have been set aside for the most part.  Either they believe in the religious reasons for plural marriage or they don't - or else it was convenient to pick and choose WHICH beliefs so that Kody could have multiple wives but not live the life.  The wives don't act like any polygamist wives I have ever seen.  Kody hasn't really set himself up as the head of this household - it seems like the wives have more say about any decisions than he does... and although YES that is typical of many married couples today, polygamist families traditionally are very patriarchal.  I've seen a dozen people or more say this here on the forum and it's true - it's more like Kody and his girlfriends.  The wives tell Kody what they will and won't do - it just doesn't happen normally. (If you can call this lifestyle normal.)  Wives might leave - look at April Briney - and they might be unhappy, but they don't rule the roost.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I don't believe that has ever been established as fact.  TLC keeps all of that close to the vest with an ironclad non-disclosure contract.  I would wager that figure comes from some tabloid and has no basis in fact.  If someone can provide proof, I'd love to see it.

That's true. They have Jon Gosselin as a lesson in what happens when information about financial compensation is disclosed. Look what happened to him.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Soaper410 said:

Kody's SUPER SECRET SCHEDULE

7-7:01 Sexy times with Robyn.  This consist of me standing in the mirror with my six pack and Robyn telling me that I have the best hair in all the South west.  

Fixed that for you 😃

• LOL 22
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

Wives might leave - look at April Briney - and they might be unhappy, but they don't rule the roost.

I wish they had followed the aftermath of April Briney leaving and shown what the divorce was like for her and for the sister wives left behind.  Sorta the Meri storyline we didn't get.

• Love 14

Someone mentioned Kody and gun shows.  Is that his business, selling guns at gun shows?  I can see him strutting around and showing off in that environment, but is there money to be made?  Everybody and his brother is in the gun show game these days it seems.  You would think the market is pretty saturated.  Whatever he does there, I doubt if he hauls in as much as Meri does with her cheap crap.

Apparently Christine is doing well with selling the same crap.  Good thing, she needs the income.  Don't know how Janelle makes any money, and Robyn must be totally dependent on the family to pay her bills.  Good luck with that.

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

What do you mean "behave like polygamists"?  Wives either get along or they don't - just like everyone who lives in the same household.

When it comes to the Browns, they have a really strange dynamic I have never seen before.  Either they downplay their religion for the TV viewers or their beliefs have been set aside for the most part.  Either they believe in the religious reasons for plural marriage or they don't - or else it was convenient to pick and choose WHICH beliefs so that Kody could have multiple wives but not live the life.  The wives don't act like any polygamist wives I have ever seen.  Kody hasn't really set himself up as the head of this household - it seems like the wives have more say about any decisions than he does... and although YES that is typical of many married couples today, polygamist families traditionally are very patriarchal.  I've seen a dozen people or more say this here on the forum and it's true - it's more like Kody and his girlfriends.  The wives tell Kody what they will and won't do - it just doesn't happen normally. (If you can call this lifestyle normal.)  Wives might leave - look at April Briney - and they might be unhappy, but they don't rule the roost.

I mean that Kody’s “wives” lived in one household until they were monetarily able to do otherwise.  Now, living apart seems preferable to them and they feel abused by the suggestion that they return to a house that will even allow them to run their own kitchens and sneak through separate doors.  I see that this is contrary to what the Principle requires, but my larger point is that the women have lived apart and found it superior.  I think that is quite human and truer to the feminine nature.  IMHO as always. 

Edited by Just Wondering
  • Love 19

I have never understood how Kody justifies giving every wife the same amount for groceries. I remember in season 1 Meri saying how she and Mariah liked to eat on their own cause they liked to eat better quality and healthier food then what Christine had to cook.

I also remember a few seasons later Christine begging for more grocery money to feed her children, while Meri got to splurge and eat out a lot.

And with Kody mentioning keeping snacks in his own fridge that the children could partake in and not the other wives they still are having issues with certain wives not having enough food.

they need to divide the grocery budget by number of people, not split evenly amongst four women.

• Love 12

What pisses me off is they never hold their feet to the fire or even gently ask "why are you sooooo adamant about NOT living in the same house as your Sister Wives?

What's the problem?

Christine goes all drama Llama at the thought of sharing a house, even a gigantic custom mansion with separate everything!..... Why?

Why don't they ask them to explain themselves!!   Grrrrrrrr.... 🙄

• Love 20
18 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

What pisses me off is they never hold their feet to the fire or even gently ask "why are you sooooo adamant about NOT living in the same house as your Sister Wives?

What's the problem?

Christine goes all drama Llama at the thought of sharing a house, even a gigantic custom mansion with separate everything!..... Why?

Why don't they ask them to explain themselves!!   Grrrrrrrr.... 🙄

Especially since most of their polygamous counterparts must be living together.  And if they believe God is commanding this lifestyle in order to teach women something, why are they seeking to avoid it?

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
26 minutes ago, Just Wondering said:

Especially since most of their polygamous counterparts must be living together.  And if they believe God is commanding this lifestyle in order to teach women something, why are they seeking to avoid it?

Exactly and we all know why they hate it.... Because it's shitty.

Make them explain themselves!

But nope TLC just let's them slide.... we get these morons singing the praises of sister wives but living a completely different reality and no one holds their feet to the fire.

• Love 14

What other plyg families are all living in one house? Everything I've seen of those huge Jeffs' style compounds had the wives in separate little shacks across a large property or even a family owned village. The 3 Wives, 1 Husband guys had: 1) basically a small apartment building with 4 completely separate residences that shared no doors at all and 2) cottages across a giant property. The Browns were the first plyg family I ever saw, when their show first started, who were living in one dwelling. 

ETA: & I know they were imaginary, but the Big Love family's set up was damn near identical the Brown's Vegas setup except the imaginary family had a better shared yard.

Edited by Elbow
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Elbow said:

What other plyg families are all living in one house? Everything I've seen of those huge Jeffs' style compounds had the wives in separate little shacks across a large property or even a family owned village. The 3 Wives, 1 Husband guys had: 1) basically a small apartment building with 4 completely separate residences that shared no doors at all and 2) cottages across a giant property. The Browns were the first plyg family I ever saw, when their show first started, who were living in one dwelling. 

ETA: & I know they were imaginary, but the Big Love family's set up was damn near identical the Brown's Vegas setup except the imaginary family had a better shared yard.

Actually quite a few do.  

And if you want families who are on reality TV, The Briney family shared one home and the Winders are looking for one home to hold at least three wives (as they are seeking a third.)  The Alldredges shared one home and although they are really off the wall polygamists - the Snowdens shared/will share one home.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Elbow said:

I've seen other families do it, the Aldredges (Mitch's sister) live in one house and there was another show with the family living in one house but I don't recall their name.

Not sure if it's rare or not

• Love 3
Just now, Joan of Argh said:

I've seen other families do it, the Aldredges (Mitch's sister) live in one house and there was another show with the family living in one house but I don't recall their name.

Not sure if it's rare or not

It's not.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Actually quite a few do.  

And if you want families who are on reality TV, The Briney family shared one home and the Winders are looking for one home to hold at least three wives (as they are seeking a third.)  The Alldredges shared one home and although they are really off the wall polygamists - the Snowdens shared/will share one home.

What shows are those? Are they more honest than SW?

Just now, Elbow said:

What shows are those? Are they more honest than SW?

Seeking Sister Wives. There have been two seasons and they are possibly filming a third.  As for more honest - yes and no.  Some of the families on the show are very sincere...     

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
Just now, Kyanight said:

Seeking Sister Wives. There have been two seasons and they are possibly filming a third.  As for more honest - yes and no.  Some of the families on the show are very sincere...     

Do they have the same problem where the wives and children seem afraid of or even forbidden from admitting how the situation impacts them as people who getting very little attention from this one man and are all at the mercy of his whims? Are the situations as phony and obviously scripted?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Elbow said:

Do they have the same problem where the wives and children seem afraid of or even forbidden from admitting how the situation impacts them as people who getting very little attention from this one man and are all at the mercy of his whims? Are the situations as phony and obviously scripted?

No.  Check out season 1.  One of the families shown is the Briney family.  The wives are very honest in how they feel about each other, and the second and third wives gang up on the first wife - who ends up fleeing with her children and leaving the family because she can't stand it any more.  The Snowden's seem really fake and only in it for the exposure and 15 minutes of fame, but that's just my personal opinion.  They are still fun to watch, lol.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

No.  Check out season 1.  One of the families shown is the Briney family.  The wives are very honest in how they feel about each other, and the second and third wives gang up on the first wife - who ends up fleeing with her children and leaving the family because she can't stand it any more.  The Snowden's seem really fake and only in it for the exposure and 15 minutes of fame, but that's just my personal opinion.  They are still fun to watch, lol.

Yikes! Ok, yeah, I'll check it out, thanks.

• Love 2
Just now, Joan of Argh said:

JMO but i always thought the Alldredges were a sincere family and mature.... it seemed like they tried to make everything work and support each other.

The 2 wives seem to respect each other and get along okay.

I agree.  But Jennifer (the third potential wife) was a real ass.  Another one who only wanted her 15 minutes of fame.  I think the Winders were very sincere, too.  The only family I thought were "acting" were the Snowdens.

2 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

JMO but i always thought the Alldredges were a sincere family and mature.... it seemed like they tried to make everything work and support each other.

The 2 wives seem to respect each other and get along okay.

I forgot to mention - Cindy - the FIRST Alldredge wife left because she wasn't happy with the circumstances.  Meri isn't happy.  April wasn't happy and left.  There DOES seem to be a recurring theme with first wives being miserable.......

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I agree.  But Jennifer (the third potential wife) was a real ass.  Another one who only wanted her 15 minutes of fame.  I think the Winders were very sincere, too.  The only family I thought were "acting" were the Snowdens.

ya Jennifer was a hot mess and I couldnt figure out why the Alldredges gave her the time of day.... they also had a bad experience with the first lady they tried to court, I don't recall her name but she stood them up at the airport.

and yes I agree the Winders seem sincere to me as well.

the Snowdens were a joke and the other family was a little odd too (don't recall their name but the husband died shortly after the show aired).

Edited by Joan of Argh
SpellingK
  • Love 6

When Christine said she was a better Mom living apart from the rest of the family, I was so surprised. Reading between the lines, she may have been implying not that she was a better Mom, but that Kody is a better Dad. 

• Love 8
On 1/20/2020 at 1:29 AM, UtahGuyComments said:

I cannot believe the level of ungratefulness.  These woman want thousands of square feet to themselves.  You all married one man, who is the head of the household.  If you want to be married, you need to live under his roof, not a shared cul-de-sac, not 4 separate apartments.  If I were Kody and saw these reactions, I’d drop them all and replace then with young, fit, vibrant and appreciative ladies. From the puppy to shut up a bratty kid to a pre-teenage boy melting down because he has to move from  Lehi.  Rein it in Kody, don’t take this attitude from Christine.  Janelle was onboard and the only one to do the square footage math.  If you aren’t onboard Robyn, don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.  He can and will find another younger, sweeter and lady to replace anyone of you.  Its obvious that a couple of these ungrateful wives just want gifts, more gifts from Kody.  I could go on and on, its so gross to here these self proclaimed “sister wife” aka Pligs saying they dont ever want to live as a family under one roof.  Kody, build it, build it build it 

Kody?  Is that you?  Have you seen yourself?  Ain't no one younger than Robyn coming your way...

• LOL 18
  • Love 1
On 1/20/2020 at 3:13 PM, suomi said:

I might get some flak for saying this but hating pets is very common in LDS culture. It's one of the first things I picked up on when I moved to Utah in '85 and nothing I've seen and heard since then has ever softened that impression. Yes, some people treat their animals well but there is so much neglect and abuse that it boggles the mind. Here is a recent example:

I moved from Logan/Cache Valley to St George four years ago to get away from the harsh winters. (About a month after I moved to Logan I read in a book written by a local that Mountain  Man Jim Bridger scouted the valley and reported to Brigham Young that it was unfit for human habitation, hence the migration to the Salt Lake Valley instead. WTF, that's when I knew I was in for it!). I had to leave St George after the fourth summer there because, with my emphysema, it became too difficult/life-threatening to breathe the hot summer air.

My first week back in Cache Valley (Thanksgiving week) I was in Home Depot and was having what started out as a nice conversation with someone as we waited for a clerk. Then she mentioned that her kids had gotten old enough that they were yammering about letting the cat and dog live in the house during winter. There was 14 inches of snow on the ground and the storm had passed so it was really/really cold, single digits cold. She said the dog could come inside but not the cat, nuh uh. "It'll find somewhere warm."

Ignoring the look on my face, she added "Gah. The dog was tolerable when it was a cute puppy but now I can't stand even looking at it. And it always wants attention." I couldn't trust myself to say anything civil so I just walked away ... 

Yowza. I hate humans who get animals and then neglect them. Just, don’t have pets period. I’d rather they not have them versus neglect or abuse them. I might have dragged her into the snow and chained her to a fence. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, TaxNerd said:

When Christine said she was a better Mom living apart from the rest of the family, I was so surprised. Reading between the lines, she may have been implying not that she was a better Mom, but that Kody is a better Dad. 

Doubtful.  Kody doesn't even know those kids' names.  According to the book they wrote years ago, the wives didn't get along at all - which probably wasn't the best environment for the kids.  Also, wasn't Christine the one who watched everyone's kids all day long?  Maybe she didn't have the patience for so many and was cranky or yelling a lot or something.  Who knows.  But I highly doubt that Kody's a better dad.  He's always over at Robyn's house.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Kyanight said:

When it comes to the Browns, they have a really strange dynamic I have never seen before.  Either they downplay their religion for the TV viewers or their beliefs have been set aside for the most part.  Either they believe in the religious reasons for plural marriage or they don't - or else it was convenient to pick and choose WHICH beliefs so that Kody could have multiple wives but not live the life.  The wives don't act like any polygamist wives I have ever seen.  Kody hasn't really set himself up as the head of this household - it seems like the wives have more say about any decisions than he does... and although YES that is typical of many married couples today, polygamist families traditionally are very patriarchal.  I've seen a dozen people or more say this here on the forum and it's true - it's more like Kody and his girlfriends.

This is interesting, and I know that @Kyanight has some unique perspective here...so what do you make of how the Browns started out on our TVs as opposed to how they are now?  In the beginning they were all about modesty.  Kody seemed to at least attempt to be with each wife and her kids.  They held church services in the living room.  So at least for the first couple of seasons, they actually appeared to be living the faith.  Now?  It's all out the window.  Nearly all of Kody's "rules" are nothing more than vapor.  He clearly favors Robyn (although I think the bloom might be off that particular rose now, too).  He doesn't seem to really care at all that the majority of his kids have grown up without him.  I cannot stand this version of him - he is as narcissitic as Robyn is stealth and evil.

So what I wonder is, was Kody Brown just duping the viewing audience for the sake of being on TV, and his wives went along with it?  I honestly feel like they believed in the lifestyle at the beginning, but it has gone so far off the rails, I'm wondering if I've been bamboozled this whole time.

• Love 7

Anybody see the short lived series of the Polygamist families who lived in the homes carved into the side of a mountain?  Can't remember the name...  They REALLY walked the walk.  So different from this trainwreck.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

This is interesting, and I know that @Kyanight has some unique perspective here...so what do you make of how the Browns started out on our TVs as opposed to how they are now?  In the beginning they were all about modesty.  Kody seemed to at least attempt to be with each wife and her kids.  They held church services in the living room.  So at least for the first couple of seasons, they actually appeared to be living the faith.  Now?  It's all out the window.  Nearly all of Kody's "rules" are nothing more than vapor.  He clearly favors Robyn (although I think the bloom might be off that particular rose now, too).  He doesn't seem to really care at all that the majority of his kids have grown up without him.  I cannot stand this version of him - he is as narcissitic as Robyn is stealth and evil.

So what I wonder is, was Kody Brown just duping the viewing audience for the sake of being on TV, and his wives went along with it?  I honestly feel like they believed in the lifestyle at the beginning, but it has gone so far off the rails, I'm wondering if I've been bamboozled this whole time.

I think in the beginning they were all sincere, and I think at the beginning of the show they still had their core values.  Because only so much is shown on camera we can only go by what they share - but since it's been stated that the wives don't see each other very often, we can assume that except for their prayers, they chucked worship out the window - even if it was just the family getting together on Sundays for their own services.  Kody IS a narcissist and he plays blatant favoritism with his wives AND children.  After the first couple of seasons this became NOT a way to educate and inform the viewers about their lifestyle but their bread and butter. (Or at least supplemental income).  I don't think we see anything "real" with this family, other than marriages and pregnancies.

10 minutes ago, Lesia said:

Anybody see the short lived series of the Polygamist families who lived in the homes carved into the side of a mountain?  Can't remember the name...  They REALLY walked the walk.  So different from this trainwreck.

I believe they arrested the husband, leaving the wives and kids without support.  I am also almost 100% positive that they mostly supported the family via public assistance. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, Lesia said:

Meri's sister Rebekah was or is living in those caves as of a couple years ago.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lesia said:

Was that called Three Wives, One Husband?  Which husband was arrested?

Edited by xwordfanatik
Add a question
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

That was it!!  And I don't see that the husband was arrested,

Apparently he never was.  They have had some bad things happen, one of their kids was killed in a house fire (so apparently they are not living in the caves) and one wife was in an auto accident and miscarried.  And, in the tradition of all of these kinds of polygrifters, they used the tragedy to set up a go fund me to milk the public for money.

• Useful 5
6 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Apparently he never was.  They have had some bad things happen, one of their kids was killed in a house fire (so apparently they are not living in the caves) and one wife was in an auto accident and miscarried.  And, in the tradition of all of these kinds of polygrifters, they used the tragedy to set up a go fund me to milk the public for money.

Yeah, I heard that the little boy had played with matches more than once before the house fire.  I don't know why they couldn't lock them up somewhere... how often do you need matches, anyway??

4 hours ago, TaxNerd said:

I think you are on to something there.   Christine may be thinking back to the days of Lehi, when although they had separate living quarters, kids may have felt free to roam at will from one section to another.

Christine may have resented Mariah or Janelle's kids intruding on what to her was family time with Kody and her kids, forcing her to confront the fact that she does share a husband and 13 kids share a father.

I'll never forget Christine when living in LV, negotiating with Kody that he could store wrestling mats in her garage in exchange for either more family time with her kids or more grocery money (maybe it was both).  That pointed out to me the Achilles heel of this arrangement, everyone for themselves, so I can pretend I have a monogamous relationship, 25% of the time.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Sandy W said:

I think you are on to something there.   Christine may be thinking back to the days of Lehi, when although they had separate living quarters, kids may have felt free to roam at will from one section to another.

Christine may have resented Mariah or Janelle's kids intruding on what to her was family time with Kody and her kids, forcing her to confront the fact that she does share a husband and 13 kids share a father.

I'll never forget Christine when living in LV, negotiating with Kody that he could store wrestling mats in her garage in exchange for either more family time with her kids or more grocery money (maybe it was both).  That pointed out to me the Achilles heel of this arrangement, everyone for themselves, so I can pretend I have a monogamous relationship, 25% of the time.

That was a really bizarre situation, though.  Under one roof you don't have that division of food/bill money....   and Kody is unable to give fair and equally - of his time, attention, money - maybe anything.  What kind of husband and father doesn't cringe when he hears that his kids barely have enough money for groceries?  Wouldn't that make him feel guilty and ashamed? No, not Kody!  Remember - he only vaguely knows their names. "Truly?  Who is that?  Oh yeah.... the kid that was born when I was on that incredible date with Robyn!!"

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

eah, I heard that the little boy had played with matches more than once before the house fire.  I don't know why they couldn't lock them up somewhere... how often do you need matches, anyway??

When you have a horde of kids I guess it's every child for himself.  Survival of the fittest and always replaceable with the next conveniently empty womb.

It's always the kids that suffer in this poisonous cult "religion".

• Love 2