Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: I Married a Stranger

• Start Topic

On 1/18/2020 at 10:33 AM, Silver Bells said:

I understand the family had troubles with a daughter dying last year, but couldn’t they come and give support to Mindy for at least an hour?  She looked heartbroken. Then again, who’s to judge?  It’s a tough one.

I don't fault any family for not wanting to be a part of these reality show charades.

• Love 11

Out of all the men on the show, the person I'd be most attracted to is not the most conventionally attractive guy on the show.  I would've completely fell for Austin.  He's not gorgeous; he has pock marks, his hair was greasy.  But the personality, the smile, the laugh would have reeled me in!

• Love 8
(edited)

I like Austin's quieter confidence (although I don't like a hard drinker type). I don't like anyone so awfully full of themselves like Zach. Both of them need hair interventions.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Agreed.  She seemed way too smart for him.  She'll need someone to challenge her intellectually and from what we've seen, he isn't it.

I love people looking at Taylor as if she's genius or something. There has been nothing to dictate whether either one of them are intellectuals. And a ton of education or being in a certain profession doesn't mean you need someone on that level. If I were to assume just based on what I've seen and didn't know about her career or education I would just see a bubbly and basic person just like everyone else on here. You would think Taylor went around doing quadratic equations during the whole ceremony the way education or brains keeps being brought up.

Also the man flat out said he has anxiety issues which seems to keep getting ignored. He was never going to most open and comfortable person in this situation. I would not sign up for this show if that was something I suffered from but I hope he can move through. 

All I saw was a clash in personalities that has nothing to with how smart they are. She's more open and free in the way she expressed herself and he was more calculated and in a shell. I'm curious about how these two evolve together.

On a side note, I actually enjoy couples couch. It's in some cases giving visuals to the thoughts of us and the audience.

AJ was on this week as people kept fearing but he was pretty reserved.

• Love 2
On 1/16/2020 at 11:11 PM, Soup333 said:

Katie and Derek sleep together before the end of the honeymoon which, based on historical precedent, effectively dooms their marriage to end in divorce. 

I thought those who stayed together usually slept together on the honeymoon (NOT the wedding night but on the honeymoon.) Aside fro Jamie and Doug I can't think of any who waited past that and stayed together (now that I think about it Shawniece and Jephte but they are an odd couple in many ways) . Ashley and Anthony, Keith and Kristine, Bobby and Danielle, AJ and Stephanie, even Courtney and Jason all did it on the honeymoon.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:33 AM, Silver Bells said:

I understand the family had troubles with a daughter dying last year, but couldn’t they come and give support to Mindy for at least an hour?  She looked heartbroken. Then again, who’s to judge?  It’s a tough one.

The one thing we have never heard a family say is "Why would you do this just to be on TV?"  But I'm sure it's a conversation they all have!  If I were a family member I'd show up (just out of curiosity 😄) but I can't blame those who don't really.

Edited by princelina
  • Love 5

Mindy's 'rents:

Hmmmm.....Participate in a Reality TV show of which they disapprove; or break their daughter's heart on her "big day."

Yeah, well. Kind of ensures that the inevitable meeting with Zach will be just a tad awkward.

"Oh, you're not so bad. Ralph, look! He's not so bad! Maybe we should have gone to the wedding; I still have that dress from Taz's wedding!"

"Now, Alice, don't cry over spilled champagne! Son, your hair looks to have its own zipcode! What's that you're muttering? Speak up, boy, I say, speak up!"

"I'm not attracted to your daughter, Sir."

*Dog barks in the background*

• LOL 7

Please save me a seat at Table Snark. I only watch MAFS so I can enjoy y'alls comments.

Zack seems to auditioning for life as a Z list celebrity. Where will he turn up next? Vanderpump Rules? Judge Judy?

Couples Couch has been pretty entertaining. Keith and Kirstine are so adorable. I'm sure it's because some of us were really rooting for them. 😄

Does anyone else think that Doug looks ill? He looks exhausted, thin, and his color is terrible. 

• Love 5
On 1/16/2020 at 6:52 PM, Racj82 said:

There are millions and millions of couples who grab cake and try to smash it in each other's face at weddings all time. Yet he's a attention seeking nutso because he did the same thing...but wasn't obnoxious enough to smash it in her face?

I honestly think all the harsh reactions at the reception were because they thought he was trying to smash the cake in his face and a lot of people don't get down like that.

Most, if not all, of the couples who end up smashing cake in the face of their new spouses do so after first cutting the cake and putting it on a plate.  The "symbolism" is that the new couple cut the cake together showing that they are starting their lives together or something.  What Brandon did is just grab a chunk OUT of the cake.  They didn't cut it first, he just grabbed it and that is not what most of us have seen done before.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Most, if not all, of the couples who end up smashing cake in the face of their new spouses do so after first cutting the cake and putting it on a plate.  The "symbolism" is that the new couple cut the cake together showing that they are starting their lives together or something.  What Brandon did is just grab a chunk OUT of the cake.  They didn't cut it first, he just grabbed it and that is not what most of us have seen done before.

As I already said, I know this and I think the whole tradition is stupid.

I also think what Brandon did was stupid. I just don't think he's the worst or most bizarre person ever because it.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I love people looking at Taylor as if she's genius or something.

I don’t think she’s a genius. I just think she’s smarter than him.

5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Also the man flat out said he has anxiety issues which seems to keep getting ignored.

Here’s my problem with that excuse: until the wedding there was no evidence that he suffered from anxiety. In fact, in the episodes prior to the wedding, he seemed like a well spoken smooth operator to me, even more so than Six Pack Zach (a million thanks @humbleopinion for that gem! 😂)

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

Here’s my problem with that excuse: until the wedding there was no evidence that he suffered from anxiety. In fact, in the episodes prior to the wedding, he seemed like a well spoken smooth operator to me, even more so than Six Pack Zach (a million thanks @humbleopinion for that gem! 😂)

This is the third episode of the season not the tenth or something like that. We still barely know any of these people. And he wasn't getting married before this. That might tend to pull you out of your element.

He does our out the smooth operator vibe but that doesn't mean he doesn't suffer from any issues. At the very least, I think he is trying to put forward an image. The verdict is out why he does that. Is it through nervousness? Does he think that's what women want? Is he just a player? I don't know.

This is my whole thing with this show. I don't know anything but so many times people seem to have the participants on the show all figured out by the wedding day. I don't. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

On a side note, I actually enjoy couples couch. 

Would love it if some of the folks who see the Couples Couch episodes could do some screen grabs so the rest of us can see what the 'successful' couples are looking like now.  Is Jamie still doing her interview show of the participants?  If so, a mini-summary would be most appreciated!

47 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Would love it if some of the folks who see the Couples Couch episodes could do some screen grabs so the rest of us can see what the 'successful' couples are looking like now.  Is Jamie still doing her interview show of the participants?  If so, a mini-summary would be most appreciated!

It doesn't look like they are doing the interviews with Jamie anymore. They sure haven't been recording for me if they are.

I don't have the screen grand for couples couch.

They seem to be revolving in and out all couples still together with some holder overs. It's not essential viewing but it's fun nonetheless.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:52 PM, Racj82 said:

There are millions and millions of couples who grab cake and try to smash it in each other's face at weddings all time. Yet he's a attention seeking nutso because he did the same thing...but wasn't obnoxious enough to smash it in her face?

I think the way he jammed his hand into that cake in such a random way to leave a gaping hole in the top layer was off and not the action of someone comfortable with what he was doing or that knew it will be well received.  I watched that scene over a few times and I think his nerves made him do something impulsive without thinking about the possible consequences.  In his attempt to appear "spontaneous" and fun, he ended up looking weird.  The only reason he didn't smash it in Taylor's face is the look of sheer horror she gave him as she saw his cake laden hand coming toward her.  Seeing her expression, he caught himself and quickly redirected his hand into his own mouth.  After a couple of viewings it was very obvious to me that that's exactly what happened.   At least he did catch himself.  If not, he would have looked even worse.

In my experience with weddings and from what I've heard (hubbie was once a part time wedding photographer for over 20 years), most couples that do the cake smashing agree to it first.  Nobody with any sense whatsoever would want to surprise their spouse at their wedding and potentially upset them by smashing cake in their face.  Hubbie did say he got the feeling in a few cases that it was not anticipated nor well received, and usually done by someone that was shit-faced drunk.  I wonder how long those marriages lasted, LOL?

1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

It doesn't look like they are doing the interviews with Jamie anymore. They sure haven't been recording for me if they are.

If you're talking about "Unfiltered", they've already had two of them.  My DVR is recording them.  Maybe you'll have to set yours manually.

• Love 5

@Yeah No I completely agree with your take on Brandon’s thought process. He completely misread that situation. 

My husband joked when we were engaged that he was going to do that with the cake, and I told him if he even tried it was going to be the shortest marriage in the history of the world. He then told me of course he would never do that bc he knew it would enrage me. (I’m the person who won’t eat ribs or wings bc of the mess, and occasionally eat pizza with a knife and fork if it’s too floppy). 😋

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

They are still filming Unfiltered. I watched one episode so far. Jamie had on Mindy, Katie, and Pastor Cal. Nothing of real interest other than Jamie had to keep rehashing Mindy's initial interview when she was asked what she liked sexually, and she admitted to liking toys, and role play or something, I can't remember. It was pretty vanilla stuff, but Jamie had to make a big deal out of it. What irritated me was Pastor Cal saying that they had to ask about that kind of thing because they wouldn't want to pair someone more sexually adventurous with someone who wasn't. EXCUSE ME - have you completely forgotten Iris and Keith? I remember yelling at my screen at Pastor Cal when he was saying he wasn't worried about Iris' inexperience. Ugh. 

• Love 9
On 1/18/2020 at 6:38 PM, DrewPaul2010 said:

That said if I was single and young and this show was around I'd put an application in. I figure I wouldn't be selected and it would just be fun.

That's probably what fakers thought. Why they went through with the charade is beyond me. If they aren't willing to marry a stranger & TRY, DO NOT APPLY! 😒😒 I hope that warning is on applications! Why oh why can't fakers be quitters & save the time?? It's NOT worth it!! 😂

13 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

In fact, in his intro video Brandon said "I'm Mr. LIFE OF THE PARTY!" - which he contradicted in spades at the wedding and reception.   Hard to believe someone with an anxiety disorder would also describe himself as the life of the party.

Does anyone know what exactly the sloppy drunken bridesmaid said to Derek about Katie? I tried so hard to read her lips and couldn't follow. I'd appreciate anyone's help here!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Seemingly if you have anxiety, you don't sign up for a show like this.

And yes, she definitely seems smarter than him.  Not sure I understand the other poster's disbelief that she's a smart woman.

• Love 7

The first Unfiltered was cringey, & the second one was boring.

Whatever Brandon's reasons for cakegate it was also cringey.

I don't think Brandon has a true anxiety disorder. At least I'm not going to infer that from a stupid joke during the ceremony where he was also cringey.

Some 'life of the party'ers' just think they are, but they are actually really obnoxious attention seekers. I don't know what Brandon's deal is yet but so far I'm finding him kind of obnoxious.

48 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Does anyone know what exactly the sloppy drunken bridesmaid said to Derek about Katie? I tried so hard to read her lips and couldn't follow. I'd appreciate anyone's help here!

You mean the part where in regard to their wedding night she asked if he was going to "dick her down" ?  Must be another 'life of the party' person.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

Seemingly if you have anxiety, you don't sign up for a show like this.

And yes, she definitely seems smarter than him.  Not sure I understand the other poster's disbelief that she's a smart woman.

I didn't say I have any disbelief that she's a smart woman. I'm saying that I've seen nothing to suggest that she's a super intellectual type or that Brandon comes off dumb by comparison. Both of them just come off like normal people. If I didn't know her educational background I wouldn't assume she had it just because she doesn't give off that vibe. Not saying she seems dumb. She just seems like a natural/bubbly person. They've had very light/simple discussions. Nothing that told me he can't hang with her verbally. Again, I don't really know these people is my point as opposed to having them figured out like others have. I reserve judgment.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I didn't say I have any disbelief that she's a smart woman. I'm saying that I've seen nothing to suggest that she's a super intellectual type or that Brandon comes off dumb by comparison. Both of them just come off like normal people. If I didn't know her educational background I wouldn't assume she had it just because she doesn't give off that vibe. Not saying she seems dumb. She just seems like a natural/bubbly person. They've had very light/simple discussions. Nothing that told me he can't hang with her verbally. Again, I don't really know these people is my point as opposed to having them figured out like others have. I reserve judgment.

Gotcha.  Thanks!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

Some 'life of the party'ers' just think they are, but they are actually really obnoxious attention seekers. I don't know what Brandon's deal is yet but so far I'm finding him kind of obnoxious.

✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️ Bingo. There's a huge difference between being nervously awkward and straight up obnoxious, and he crossed that line big time for me. No one seemed impressed with his antics, even his family and friends. That leads me to believe that he was putting on a show for the cameras rather than acting out of anxiety. The garter growling and whatnot made me roll my eyes, but that cake grab really rubbed me the wrong way, because as others have pointed out it was leaning more toward destructive than silly. Cutting the cake and smashing the first bite in someone's face is lame but kind of expected from certain types of people. Slamming your hand into the top tier of a very nice cake is not in that same category, not by a mile.

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, sometimesjennifer said:

✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️ Bingo. There's a huge difference between being nervously awkward and straight up obnoxious, and he crossed that line big time for me. No one seemed impressed with his antics, even his family and friends. That leads me to believe that he was putting on a show for the cameras rather than acting out of anxiety. The garter growling and whatnot made me roll my eyes, but that cake grab really rubbed me the wrong way, because as others have pointed out it was leaning more toward destructive than silly. Cutting the cake and smashing the first bite in someone's face is lame but kind of expected from certain types of people. Slamming your hand into the top tier of a very nice cake is not in that same category, not by a mile.

You nailed it. He has behaved in some questionable ways just in this episode alone, and his conversation skills are also awkward. Him saying "I wrote them myself!" during the ceremony re: his vows, and "I just hoped it wasn't a dude!" right after the wedding was weird, and the conversation with his new mother in law was also super uncomfortable, and not just because they just met but more because of his awkward joking with her. I don't know if he is just completely lacking in social skills but something about him is not quite right.......

• Love 7
On 1/15/2020 at 9:51 PM, bichonblitz said:

I was falling for it at first but everything he says and every look he makes is so perfect, down to the way he looks in to Mindy's eyes. Is he an actor? 

maybe he wants to be an actor.  Or a model....

• Love 1
On 1/16/2020 at 10:21 AM, OnTime said:

Sometimes I think he acts like a little kid, especially when he grabbed the wedding cake.

Like a drunk little kid...  I'd worry about his drinking.  I'm sure here is quite a bit of drinking as a male beer ambassador . I don't think that Taylor has to drink with the customers - just be gorgeous, smile and be friendly.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

You know the season so far is a snooze fest, when the only thing posters can find to talk about is Brandon slamming his hand into a cake. 

You are right. But, it's my disbelief that's it's this huge issue that I've been talking about. It was dumb. That's all I thought of it. I didn't think it would be this big of deal other than it being stupid.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 11:43 AM, sasha206 said:

Out of all the men on the show, the person I'd be most attracted to is not the most conventionally attractive guy on the show.  I would've completely fell for Austin.  He's not gorgeous; he has pock marks, his hair was greasy.  But the personality, the smile, the laugh would have reeled me in!

He just needs a little polishing!! Looks so young for 31 and will age very well. Jessica might be the luckiest person on this show. (Danielle and AJ are!)

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, OnTime said:

He just needs a little polishing!! Looks so young for 31 and will age very well. Jessica might be the luckiest person on this show. (Danielle and AJ are!)

Austin is the type of guy that is going to look hot as Hell when he is in his late thirties and early forties.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Austin is the type of guy that is going to look hot as Hell when he is in his late thirties and early forties.

Agreed!  Imagine that silver flow!  He should go to a dermatologist and work on the skin, but he's adorable.  And his personality and easy laugh make him even more adorable.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, sasha206 said:

Agreed!  Imagine that silver flow!  He should go to a dermatologist and work on the skin, but he's adorable.  And his personality and easy laugh make him even more adorable.

He will be one of those forty year old guys that have maturity but still retain their youthful aura that a lot of younger ladies tend to go ga ga for.

I remember Jamie Otis's boyfriend prior to Doug (the one she wanted to make jealous by going on the Bachelor and only broke up because he did not want to have children) was kind of like that.

She was in his twenties and he was in his forties but you would never know that the age difference was that big.

I like Austin's bride as well and hope they make it. As for now, they both seem sincere.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

He will be one of those forty year old guys that have maturity but still retain their youthful aura that a lot of younger ladies tend to go ga ga for.

I remember Jamie Otis's boyfriend prior to Doug (the one she wanted to make jealous by going on the Bachelor and only broke up because he did not want to have children) was kind of like that.

She was in his twenties and he was in his forties but you would never know that the age difference was that big.

I like Austin's bride as well and hope they make it. As for now, they both seem sincere.

Agreed!  

I love Jessica -- and her sister!  Great senses of humor!  

• Love 1

If Zach's step-mom found it so difficult to go to the wedding, I think she should have skipped it rather than have the experience forever in syndication. I can't imagine anyone not understanding. To me, the FB post reeks of "cover your ass-itis."                                                           

I just went to a family Bar Mitzvah weekend in Florida, for a 14-year-old boy. A member of our extended family lost his 14-year-old son at Parkland. His dad closed the doors of his company and has dedicated his life to making American schools safer (he has worked extensively for a national school safety czar as a clearinghouse for principals, among many other things). I can imagine it was very difficult for him to attend a coming-of-age ceremony for a child the same age as the one he lost (and, since it was his first cousin, happens to resembles him greatly). I didn't see him scowl once at anyone ... in fact he was wonderful to be around (and, I must admit, is one of my very favorite people.) To be fair, he has had to learn to talk about his pain so much that he has gotten used to it and it has gotten somewhat easier over time, I am sure. For example, he told me flat out that he can't be in the state on 2/14. But one can simultaneously manage a huge well of pain in one's heart and treat others with compassion.

Edited by Mrs. Button
formatting, transposed word
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I can't critique someone who has had a recent traumatic loss (or tough time in general, etc). It's like saying "I went through a-b-c, but I didn't do that."  Well, that's great, but not everyone handles difficult life events the same way. There are too many factors in everyone's lives & personalities etc, for me to judge. I feel badly for Zach's step mom, but maybe she also had pressure from her husband to be there to 'support' Zach, or whatever. She also may have been very uncomfortable on camera & didn't know how to handle herself. Maybe she was told she just had to be there, but wouldn't be on camera. These shows pull shit all the time. I did wonder given what seemed like stink eye going on, but I really don't know now & will give her the benefit of the doubt.

• Love 8

Like I said, if you don't think you can handle it emotionally for whatever reason, you probably don't want your "support" in syndication forever. Why add insult to injury? If you're going through a rough time, family will understand, esp. in those circumstances. I just think she came off as incredibly rude (and Mindy handled it quite graciously) — and that's no way to spend your 15 minutes! And I still call it as awkward divorce/2nd wife stuff.  What is being described as sad on her part reads angry to me.

Edited by Mrs. Button
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

He's probably going to look hot much longer than that.

Hi Pierce Brosnan!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Holy shit, THE EPISODES ARE TOO LONG. I’m not even watching with the commercials and I have yet to make it fully through a single one. So much unnecessary filler. OH MY GOSH. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 1/20/2020 at 11:15 PM, Kira53 said:

maybe he wants to be an actor.  Or a model....

I don’t think they make a good match.  She looks way older than him, but I may be wrong.  He might be in for exposure, but I sincerely hope not.  She’s had enough misery in her life.

• Love 3
On 1/19/2020 at 5:25 PM, DocTerv said:

Please save me a seat at Table Snark. I only watch MAFS so I can enjoy y'alls comments.

Zack seems to auditioning for life as a Z list celebrity. Where will he turn up next? Vanderpump Rules? Judge Judy?

He can be Scheana's boyfriend - a fitting punishment for being a douche 😄 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 1/21/2020 at 10:44 AM, Mrs. Button said:

If Zach's step-mom found it so difficult to go to the wedding, I think she should have skipped it rather than have the experience forever in syndication.                                        

On 1/21/2020 at 11:44 AM, Mrs. Button said:

And I still call it as awkward divorce/2nd wife stuff.  What is being described as sad on her part reads angry to me.

Nothing about her behavior or demeanor came off to me as upset, sad, scared, finding it difficult, or anything 'emotional' like that.  She looked like the type of person who just has RBF 24x7, had zero interest in being there, and isn't a warm/friendly person.

• Love 2

Did anyone like any of the wedding dresses?  I thought they all looked so cheap, like something they grabbed off the sale rack at Davis’s bridal.  Do they pick out their own dresses or does a stylist from the show select them?  The 2 piece one was just ridiculous.  I thought the only somewhat pretty one was the girl who was complaining that it was too big.  Also agree that the hairdos were very plain.  

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Katie111 said:

Did anyone like any of the wedding dresses?  I thought they all looked so cheap, like something they grabbed off the sale rack at Davis’s bridal.  Do they pick out their own dresses or does a stylist from the show select them?  The 2 piece one was just ridiculous.  I thought the only somewhat pretty one was the girl who was complaining that it was too big.  Also agree that the hairdos were very plain.  

There's been a lot of product placement on this show, including the bridal shop & makeup artist (or hairstylist; can't recall might have been both given some advertising).  They are all filmed in the same shop so have no choice there & probably have no choices with who does their wedding look. With limited time they'd have to choose off the rack with little to maybe no alterations. Kinda sucks because it is a wedding & on TV, but that's what they signed up for.

ETA: I wasn't a big fan of any of their dresses/makeup/hair either.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 2