Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: I Married a Stranger

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, suzeecat said:

Very well said, which is why I would NOT be attracted to a guy this attractive.  Even if he is madly in love with a woman he will always have women circling for their chance.  It would be hard for any man to resist such attention. 

Thanks, I have seen this so many times before and it's the same every time.  My first love was extremely handsome and I learned this young.  One of my best girlfriends went through it with a boyfriend too.  Now a friend of hubbie and I (who is also our lawyer) is also one of those.  This guy has had to take out several restraining orders over the years because some former female clients have thrown themselves at him (it doesn't help that he's a divorce lawyer).  He even had to do it with one of his former admin. assistants who kept coming by after he and his partner fired her to try to push herself on him!!  We knew her and almost couldn't believe that she would do that with him, but I can believe that an otherwise sane woman might go that insane over a guy.  I can also see that because he's so charismatic and friendly they would think they could wear him down eventually.  He's married and I know his wife probably suspects him.  Of course because of all this there is always a cloud of suspicion over him even if he is innocent.  I feel sorry for both him and his wife!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Even with health insurance, those procedures cost money. And since they are cosmetic, insurance often won't cover it. Sometimes no matter how skilled the physician, a scar is unavoidable. Some people just don't care - if there's not a medical issue, they don't want to go through the procedures. There are tons of good reasons people may choose to leave their appearance alone, not the least of which is that they just don't care what other people think of how they look.

I actually think that in Derek's case he left the mole there for vanity's sake.  Some people think it makes them look more dramatic or interesting, or they've grown attached to it like it's part of their face, like their nose and could not imagine being without it.  In that case it's called a "beauty mark".

I don't agree with you about the mole removal not being covered by insurance.  Most dermatologists know just how to classify such removal so that most insurance will cover it.  I had a mole removed myself that suddenly grew above my eyebrow.  This had to be about 20 years ago now.  If they say it looks "suspicious" to them even if tests showed it was non-cancerous, it is most likely covered.  Plus it's a very simple office procedure that does not involve much time or money.  A little numbing agent and they burn it off.  I suppose "Dr. Pimple Popper" could give us a lesson.  This article explains more about the cosmetic procedures that are most likely covered by insurance and their medical justifications, including "beauty marks".

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Even with health insurance, those procedures cost money. And since they are cosmetic, insurance often won't cover it. Sometimes no matter how skilled the physician, a scar is unavoidable. Some people just don't care - if there's not a medical issue, they don't want to go through the procedures. There are tons of good reasons people may choose to leave their appearance alone, not the least of which is that they just don't care what other people think of how they look.

I do care how I look as far as personal hygiene and hair style (fortunately I still have hair) because other people have to look at me. However self-confidence and being comfortable in your own skin makes people not even think about how you look. I assume his wife doesn't think of it. Probably hurts her that a bunch of no nothings like us are festering over it.

• Love 2

Nothing to report. When I first started watching this show I was really interested in the reaction of the newly weds but so far haven't seen anyone let out a obvious groan of disappointment. I can't recall anyone looking obviously ill at ease. Even that one couple that checked out right after the honeymoon seemed initially pleased. Probably just going through this process is so nerve-wracking that just having the ceremony behind them and finally seeing their new mate (good, bad or otherwise) is such a relief they are in euphoric rapture of sorts.

Then reality hits and I guess in a sadistic way...that's the part I like. What most single people aren't aware of is they self-centered. Of course the only person they been looking out for is them self. This isn't a knock its just how it is. I was self-centered when I was single. If both parties don't become other centered instead of self centered the marriage will fail to be successful regardless who you marry. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, suzeecat said:

Very well said, which is why I would NOT be attracted to a guy this attractive.  Even if he is madly in love with a woman he will always have women circling for their chance.  It would be hard for any man to resist such attention. 

As the great comic Chris Rock once said, "A man is only as faithful as his options."

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
(edited)

Cheaters come in all shapes, sizes, are attractive, & not so much. All it takes is a willing party (& no matter what their looks there is always someone willing), & a total lack of character. They’re also all shit bags (as are the willing parties as well).

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 7
On 1/15/2020 at 8:20 PM, Empress1 said:

I forgot this was on and missed Michael and Meka's wedding. I did hear her say she's a category analyst ... anyone know what that is?

She said she makes up the sale fliers for the week in grocery stores.  Like we get in the mail or newspaper.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

She said she makes up the sale fliers for the week in grocery stores.  Like we get in the mail or newspaper.

It's actually quite an involved job.  It involves a lot of analysis via spreadsheets and loads of calculations to figure out exactly which items go on sale, and for how long, and when to move those items in price back & forth.  The difference can be pennies, which can add up to thousands of $, which can add up to a lot more.

I worked in a slightly different industry, but I was a merchandise analyst, and it can be extremely stressful, as one wrong move can cost the company a lot.

• Useful 16
  • Love 6
On 1/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, Straycat80 said:

They knew Mindys family was not coming to the wedding. No need to have four empty chairs there for everyone to notice, talk about, and upset Mindy even more. 

edited to add: ok, I guess the chairs are for the bridesmaids. 

I understand the family had troubles with a daughter dying last year, but couldn’t they come and give support to Mindy for at least an hour?  She looked heartbroken. Then again, who’s to judge?  It’s a tough one.

• Love 6

It was WRONG of Mindy's parents not to attend her wedding!! She shoulda guilted them so bad & explained to them how it's about her & it's their JOB to be there for her! GEEZ! Old people aren't supposed to be so DUMB! WTF?!! I CAN'T STAND BAD PARENTS!! 😒😒

• Love 2

We have had parents who have been no shows before like Davina's....

For whatever reason Mindy's Ma and Pa do not want to participate in a basic cable teevee show that has a piss poor track record of matching people for marriage...

Mindy's sister, Taj did step up even though her husband was bluntly dubious...

I am a big fan of the type of work that Meka does.. Tuesday is my grocery flier day....engrossed into the week's new fliers is my happy place....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8
54 minutes ago, Lindz said:

They need to go back to making husbands shave their gross beards!

Neal volunteered to shave his off and have a make over at the suggestion of everyone...friends, family, producers, the "experts"

Shaving was never a contingency to be in the cast...it just was part of his story line....his willing to transform and change himself to begin anew....

He was already chosen as a groom without having "to groom...."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/15/2020 at 6:51 PM, bichonblitz said:

Is he an actor? 

He's putting on one hell of a show!! 😂😂 He just might put on a good show the whole season! He's less good looking to me now with all that suave. & his hair was out of place on one side. Haha

• Love 2
On 1/15/2020 at 7:16 PM, OnTime said:

No need to have the "son/mother" dance...….when they know there won't be a "father/daughter" dance.

His dad could've stepped in, like Amber's mom last season. That woulda been a good F U to her dad. 😂

• Love 6
(edited)
41 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

For whatever reason Mindy's Ma and Pa do not want to participate in a basic cable teevee show that has a piss poor track record of matching people for marriage...

^  I can understand parents having some serious concerns about this kind of thing, not to mention the fiasco gets filmed so the parents also have to agree to be portrayed in any way the show decides. I wouldn't be signing up for that for anyone either.

ETA: I would be there for my kids always, but behind the scenes. Maybe her parents are just on the down low & the show is demonizing them.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

^  I can understand parents having some serious concerns about this kind of thing, not to mention the fiasco gets filmed so the parents also have to agree to be portrayed in any way the show decides. I wouldn't be signing up for that for anyone either.

ETA: I would be there for my kids always, but behind the scenes. Maybe her parents are just on the down low & the show is demonizing them.

That, to me, would be the compromise, and the show of a truly supportive parent.  Maybe they're not willing to appear on air, but to at least be there, behind the scenes, as a show of support.  Not just a random lame asking by the dad to text her a pic.  

When Rachel was a Bachelor contestant, her dad couldn't appear on camera, as he's a federal judge.  But from what she said, he was "there" in most scenes, just not being shown.  Be a dad like that.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I never understand people running around with big ugly moles on their face.  A dermatologist can diagnose and remove them quite easily.  Sometimes just by zapping them a couple of times and removing them.

Doug's were sooo ugly and as I remember several of them.  Jamie is a nurse so she knows how easy that is to take care of.

90 Day Fiance has a beekeeper gal on their show with three red moles on her face.  I can't stop looking at them and wondering WHY?

It is very hard to remove a mole and not leave a scar. Mu daughter had one by her eyebrow. Her doctor shaved it off and said it could grow back. There is still a small scar but she covers it with brow pencil. Unless a mole on the face looks suspicious most doctors tell you to leave it alone.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

It is very hard to remove a mole and not leave a scar. Mu daughter had one by her eyebrow. Her doctor shaved it off and said it could grow back. There is still a small scar but she covers it with brow pencil. Unless a mole on the face looks suspicious most doctors tell you to leave it alone.

I had a mole removed from my back for medical reasons (doc thought it might be cancerous; it wasn't) and the scar it left is bigger than the mole was. I didn't care about the mole's appearance and I don't particularly care about the scar, but the scar is definitely more noticeable than the mole, which was quite small and flat. There's a lot going on below the surface with moles - there was a dent in my back after it was removed.

1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

I always joke with friends that if any of them went on a reality show, I would be the blurred face in the background. I have almost no interest in being on reality TV (I would do a travel show for the free travel, and I might do House Hunters as the friend who tags along on the hunt). I admired whichever parent it was in the Philly season that said straight out that the show makes a mockery of marriage.

3 hours ago, Sterling said:

It's actually quite an involved job.  It involves a lot of analysis via spreadsheets and loads of calculations to figure out exactly which items go on sale, and for how long, and when to move those items in price back & forth.  The difference can be pennies, which can add up to thousands of $, which can add up to a lot more.

I worked in a slightly different industry, but I was a merchandise analyst, and it can be extremely stressful, as one wrong move can cost the company a lot.

Someone I know was not picked for a jury in which the case involved egg pricing. (They were like "Thank God - I mean, I'm all for jury duty but weeks of egg pricing testimony sounds boring as FUCK.") I could see how this pricing could be complex and stressful - I'm sure it also involves forecasting, which is hard. Good for Meka.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I admired whichever parent it was in the Philly season that said straight out that the show makes a mockery of marriage.

Ironically, it was Luke’s mother. Her son is an ass, but she wasn’t wrong.....

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Sterling said:

I work for a food manufacturer, and depending on the size of the grocery chain, that job can have a lot of power deciding which products end up on the shelves. I don’t know if she’s the actual buyer for whatever category she’s in, but even if she just does the analysis for the actual buyer I still think it’s a more complicated job than just making sales flyers. That seems more like a job for marketing to me....

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I work for a food manufacturer, and depending on the size of the grocery chain, that job can have a lot of power deciding which products end up on the shelves. I don’t know if she’s the actual buyer for whatever category she’s in, but even if she just does the analysis for the actual buyer I still think it’s a more complicated job than just making sales flyers. That seems more like a job for marketing to me....

Not even. That's a graphic designer's job. 

3 hours ago, Lindz said:

It was WRONG of Mindy's parents not to attend her wedding!! She shoulda guilted them so bad & explained to them how it's about her & it's their JOB to be there for her! GEEZ! Old people aren't supposed to be so DUMB! WTF?!! I CAN'T STAND BAD PARENTS!! 😒😒

I don't think it's a parent's job to be there for their 30-something "child" who does something that they are totally against. In my view, if they don't want to be party to something that goes against their entire belief system-- and is broadcast on a television program designed to bring the drama-- it doesn't make them bad parents. 

• Love 20

I’m pulling up to the shallow table. I hope there’s room. I think we’re getting crowded. I’ll bring tequila to help the squashing together more enjoyable and the snark more free flowing. I find Doug bland as untoasted Wonder bread. He’s not even slightly crispy. He’s seems kind enough, in a bland way. Really he just screams boring to me, well actually it’s more of a muted mumble than a scream. I know Jamie’s initial reaction was rude and over the top but I was all there for it. It made for some good TV. 

Cakegate bothered me because of the grubbing into the cake. Shoving cake into your spouse’s face is a flat out stupid thing and I’m dismissing that possibility from this rant. I’m saying the paws raking through the cake is disgusting and ridiculous. Why dude why?!? Especially when you just met this woman and her friends and family. Eat a bite politely of your pretty wedding cake and then go buy an out of date discount Walmart cake if you need to squish cake between your fingers.  

I find Zach conventionally hot and I appreciate his willingness to share the shirtless view but I can’t help but wonder if he gives off a distinct odor of Axe body spray. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Adeejay said:

As the great comic Chris Rock once said, "A man is only as faithful as his options."

I can resist anything but temptation...

15 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Cheaters come in all shapes, sizes, are attractive, & not so much. All it takes is a willing party (& no matter what their looks there is always someone willing), & a total lack of character. They’re also all shit bags (as are the willing parties as well).

How come I never find anyone willing?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I can't put my finger on it, but something about Zach seems off. Maybe it's his commitment issues or his frowning step mother. Taylor's mother was not impressed by Brandon's cake antics. I found it to be very immature and down right nasty of him to stick his hand in the cake. 

Katie seems sweet and so does her groom (forgot his name). Her friend on the other hand needs to slow down on the alcohol if that's how she behaves when she's drunk.

Meka is definitely type A, but also sweet. I think she and her husband will make it based on their interaction on their wedding day. The jury is still out on the rest of the couples.

• Love 2

I hope it's ok to post in defence of Zach's step-mom's stink face at the wedding. According to a poster on reddit, here's the background story. There's a whole thread on her, which only makes me feel Mindy's parents were justified in refusing to be filmed for this hot mess and dealing with the internet scrutiny after.

Per reddit poster: "She said on Facebook that her son died 7 months ago. She just wasn’t into feeling happy." Here's the link to the thread if we're allowed to post that. https://www.reddit.com/r/MarriedAtFirstSight/comments/eq7mks/as_a_giant_leap_of_faith_and_for_the_first_time/

• Useful 3

Regarding Brandon and the cake; I feel that no matter what a person does or says they will offend/disgust someone, the truth is you can't please everybody.  So you might as well do something that makes you happy, at least you'll be pleased. 

giphy.gif

• LOL 1
32 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

So you might as well do something that makes you happy, at least you'll be pleased. 

But it's NOT about them as individuals, it's about them as a MARRIED COUPLE & I give props to Taylor for rolling with it. His behavior could've been too much for someone else, like Meka, for having just met a short while ago. He's being selfish & not caring about her comfort & that should be a TOP PRIORITY!! Again, PROPS TO TAYLOR for keeping cool. Hopefully, she shares her feelings. But, they don't do that in marriages on MAFS. So well.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Regarding Brandon and the cake; I feel that no matter what a person does or says they will offend/disgust someone, the truth is you can't please everybody.  So you might as well do something that makes you happy, at least you'll be pleased. 

I don't know how that cringe-worthy, awkward gesture could ever have made him or anyone else happy.  Upon watching that scene a second time it was even worse knowing it was going to happen.  And then he awkwardly flailed his caked-up hand all over the place afterward, not even bothering to clean it.  I think he thought he was going to be cool but it just fell so flat.  I think he probably originally intended to smash it in her face thinking that was cool, but then realized it wouldn't be and ate it himself, then offered it to her.  I think he feels outclassed by Taylor and is super nervous and making dumb social faux-pas like that as a result.  It's not going by unnoticed by Taylor, either.  Plus the couples' couch crew cringed at it too.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I don't think it's a parent's job to be there for their 30-something "child" who does something that they are totally against. In my view, if they don't want to be party to something that goes against their entire belief system-- and is broadcast on a television program designed to bring the drama-- it doesn't make them bad parents. 

Again. It's NOT about THEM!! That's being SELFISH & that is BAD PARENTING. Their job IS to BE THERE for their child in their time of need. Especially for milestones, such as their child's wedding. It can be against their belief system or whatever, but the priority is the CHILD, NOT THEM. That's not being parents, that's being donors. The big picture is supporting the child. But eh, when they need care when they're older & die, hopefully dealing with that won't be against her belief system. 😂😂

Edited by Lindz
  • Love 3

I usually have a strong opinion about everything but this one is hard. It is so important for parents support a decision such as marriage. I'm also completely sympathetic to not just parents but anyone who opines its a bad idea to marry someone you don't know. Anyone who's watched the show recently knows they don't vet these people very well. One person had a visa revoked and was charged with stalking. Matt (last season) was nothing more than a predator, I'm surprised Amber hasn't sued. Any parent or friend watching would have plenty of reason to advise people not to do this. However it looks like the success % has been improving.

That said if I was single and young and this show was around I'd put an application in. I figure I wouldn't be selected and it would just be fun.

I would try up to the day of the wedding to talk my son or daughter out of it but in the long run if I don't support them when they need it most what's the point in being a parent?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lindz said:

But it's NOT about them as individuals, it's about them as a MARRIED COUPLE & I give props to Taylor for rolling with it. His behavior could've been too much for someone else, like Meka, for having just met a short while ago. He's being selfish & not caring about her comfort & that should be a TOP PRIORITY!! Again, PROPS TO TAYLOR for keeping cool. Hopefully, she shares her feelings. But, they don't do that in marriages on MAFS. So well.

I don't know, it seems that you can't even breathe today without offending someone.

• Love 7
On 1/15/2020 at 8:38 PM, Straycat80 said:

Taylor‘s  family did not look impressed when Brandon grabbed a handful of that cake. You could tell they were afraid he was going to smash it in her face. 

I was pissed! Can you imagine having to cut around that big hunk that he grabbed? And did he wash his hands? In other words - fuck this cake. I don’t want any unless you cutting from the bottom.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Not even. That's a graphic designer's job. 

I am thinking of grocery fliers - usually sales prices and pictures of the products. I don’t think a graphic designer is needed for that type of stuff. Where I work, the marketing department takes care of that type of stuff because it’s easy to produce and relatively basic. We only use a graphic designer for package design, our website and marketing sales materials. Obviously it’s different in different businesses. My point was more that I think Meka does something more involved.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

That said if I was single and young and this show was around I'd put an application in. I figure I wouldn't be selected and it would just be fun.

Not me. With my luck, I would request a Patrick Dempsey or Kyle Chandler lookalike, and would be paired with a Steve Buscemi. No thanks.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2020 at 5:32 PM, Yeah No said:

Thanks, I have seen this so many times before and it's the same every time.  My first love was extremely handsome and I learned this young.  One of my best girlfriends went through it with a boyfriend too.  Now a friend of hubbie and I (who is also our lawyer) is also one of those.  This guy has had to take out several restraining orders over the years because some former female clients have thrown themselves at him (it doesn't help that he's a divorce lawyer).  He even had to do it with one of his former admin. assistants who kept coming by after he and his partner fired her to try to push herself on him!!  We knew her and almost couldn't believe that she would do that with him, but I can believe that an otherwise sane woman might go that insane over a guy.  I can also see that because he's so charismatic and friendly they would think they could wear him down eventually.  He's married and I know his wife probably suspects him.  Of course because of all this there is always a cloud of suspicion over him even if he is innocent.  I feel sorry for both him and his wife!

It's so hard being attractive. I'll say a prayer for them.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

I am wondering how sheltered Meka's life may have been so far.  She expressed concern about sleeping in a bed with a stranger and asked Michael if he had ever done that, and when he said yes, she seemed genuinely surprised.  Many many people have had one-night stands, with or without sex occurring, and for her to be surprised that he had slept in a bed with someone he doesn't know, is either naive or disingenuous.  Not sure which one just yet. 

• Love 1

I think Brandon was extremely uncomfortable during the wedding/reception. Maybe the reality didn’t hit him until Taylor walked out. He was so markedly different from what we’d seen. Of all the couples they were the most awkward with each other. Zach is suspect but he at least had Mindy feeling completely at ease on their wedding day. 

Im not sure if Taylor was reacting to Brandon’s awkwardness but It seemed like she was forcing herself to smile and seem happy. 

• Love 9

Taylor passed on smooching her stranger husband and reluctantly ate the grubby gateau he offered...taking one for Team TayBray

A lose-lose situation but she pasted on a happy face and went along with his playful act.... must be tough for someone who knows what skeevy viruses and  bacteria lurks at the microbial level...

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I love, love, love Jessica and Austin.  Both of them have great senses of humor.  Jessica is pretty but she does have an older look to her.  Both of them seem pretty evenly matched.

I also loved the Diabetes girl (can't remember names!) and Ashton Kutcher.  Both of them seemed evenly matched as well, although she seemed to be way more into him in the talking heads stuff than he seemed.  She's absolutely adorable and he seems very sweet too.

I like just about everyone on the show which is a first for me.  I do think Mr. Fitness/Pompadour has the most potential to be a dick because he really seems in love with himself.

• Love 6

While I thought Brandon's cake-grabbing was silly, I think he was just going for some fun in the moment.  I liked that he didn't then smash it into Taylor's face, as I abhor that "tradition".  At first I was like, but but but.....you're supposed to save the top for your 1st anniversary!  Of course, 4 out of 5 couples will probably not make it that far, this couple included.

I did like Taylor's response, which was just to laugh.  I mean, you can't put smashed cake back, so she just went with it and didn't let it ruin her night.  Liked that about her.

• Love 8
On 1/16/2020 at 9:39 AM, qtpye said:

It's funny how there is a lid for every pot and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do not find Zach attractive in the least.  To me, he looks bloated and greasy. I would actually be disappointed if I found him waiting for me down the aisle and I think Mindy is better looking than him.  

Same here!  I don't think Zach is that good looking; he has great hair, and obviously is in shape.  But facially he is just okay.    I'm also surprised so many people are bagging on her looks.  I think she's pretty; maybe not conventionally beautiful, but she's pretty and has a nice figure.

• Love 12
On 1/16/2020 at 11:22 AM, gonecrackers said:

Michael: "I love natural hair & get excited whenever I see it."  Cut to Meka & her smoothed out look - same editors who panned to Austin last week after Jessica said she likes dark haired men.

Right!  And I'm like Michael.  I love natural hair!  

• Love 5
On 1/16/2020 at 1:37 PM, Ilovepie said:

I do not like Brandon. He talks like he's stoned. I think they are the worst match so far this season. This episode did not do anything to change my mind from last episode that he is not the brightest bulb.

Agreed.  She seemed way too smart for him.  She'll need someone to challenge her intellectually and from what we've seen, he isn't it.

• Love 5