Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: 12 Seconds in Heaven

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I haven't seen this episode yet and after reading everyone's comments I'm not sure I want to.  I really hate the up close vomiting/diarrhea scenes.  Sex right after puking sounds really gross, I'm also not a fan of the blurry sex scenes, I really don't need to know that much let these people have some privacy.  Not a fan of Tanner's comment about Simone either.

• Love 6

Kate should have waited a charter to assign the second/third stew positions, so that she could assess their experience and strengths.  I like Simone, but she seems even less on top of things than other third stews we've seen in the past, like Laura.  Her attitude is terrible and inexplicable.  A luxury yacht is a strange place to expect professional validation for your degree in mathematics.

• LOL 4
  • Love 18

I don't remember if Tanner drank more after he puked, but if so maybe the extra-strong Thai alcohol burned away all the puke germs and smell!  😄  

Watching them all stumble into the vans and sprawl all over then them putting Kevin to bed...I was afraid he'd puke and aspirate it (though at least he was on his side).   

• LOL 4
14 hours ago, Lamima said:

I like Kate. I think she is really good at her job (especially after watching Hannah on Med, eek). She can manage the guests really well and knows how to keep the guests happy. And she is not wrong about Simone. Simone should be 3rd stew. Period. Point blank. BUT...her interaction with Simone in this epi, at the end, was not great. 

Man, what's coming down the pike? Looks like lots of drama. Can't wait! 

I can't stand her.  She is so over rated.  She kisses up to the guests, then turns around and knifes them.   She is a terrible leader.  She's had petty conflicts with almost all her stews - and chefs - and has shown blatant favoritism.  It looks like in the preview she will be getting her judgment day.  Good!

Edited by escape
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Simone is on my list too, though. He sudden and incessant whining about not being on service is falling on deaf ears with me. She got to try out service and it didn't go very well. And it wasn't just that she doesn't know how to make certain drinks or whatever. It's her ability to learn and adapt. She basically has none. She also has little self awareness or situational awareness. She didn't even have the basic common sense to check on the guests periodically, to see what else they might need. And I don't know that those are things you can teach.

Here's the thing with me though.  So many times black people, POC get jobs, aren't trained for them and then blamed for doing a bad job.

BTW, why did Kate initially have Courtney working with her and put Simone in the laundry?  She didn't know how Simone was on service then, did she?  Why put the second stew in the laundry.

I've been cruising on the QM2 for years, since 2006.  I always wondered why there weren't more black people doing service (this year though I saw many more).  I really wonder why that is.  I wonder if that's why Kate had Courtney work with her in the beginning, instead of Simone.

giphy.gif

Edited by Neurochick
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Here's the thing with me though.  So many times black people, POC get jobs, aren't trained for them and then blamed for doing a bad job.

BTW, why did Kate initially have Courtney working with her and put Simone in the laundry?  She didn't know how Simone was on service then, did she?  Why put the second stew in the laundry.

I've been cruising on the QM2 for years, since 2006.  I always wondered why there weren't more black people doing service (this year though I saw many more).  I really wonder why that is.  I wonder if that's why Kate had Courtney work with her in the beginning, instead of Simone.

Bingo!

Kate has Simone in the back of the bus doing the laundry before she ever interacted with guests. She is just more “comfortable” with Courtney. You know how that goes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I have thought of the bigotry reason and I'm sure there is some of that.  But Simone volunteered to the laundry in the beginning so that was how that started (and Courtney said she hated laundry).  Simone was also heard to say, "I will never be done with ironing" when Kate told her to speak up when she wanted to quit ironing.

With guest interactions you have to be confident and extroverted, and Simone hasn't shown that (except in her THs).

• Useful 2
  • Love 22
4 hours ago, esco1822 said:

Simone must really have it bad for Tanner if she a) fell for that ultra romantic line of "I wanna hook up with you so bad; and b) had no problem making out with his puke mouth. 

Did she know he had puked? 

Not only did she fall for his sleezy line, she fell for the even sleezier - "If you sit down, I'll hook up with you." Because he was too fucking drunk to stand. Yikes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Not only did she fall for his sleezy line, she fell for the even sleezier - "If you sit down, I'll hook up with you." Because he was too fucking drunk to stand. Yikes.

Eh, they were both wanting to hook up.  No harm, no foul, IMO.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 11

Simone is just plain shitty on service.  I recognize this as I was shitty as a waitress in my high school years.  Kate should've had her in third position from the beginning.  Kate doesn't give me the impression of bigotry either.  Ranked jobs I thought were given because the person has the skills and may just need to be informed on how that particular position is to be done.  Basic training should not be expected in an elevated position.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Sage47 said:

Huh?? What sex tape?? A “decent bride price”?? 🤔

I am so grossed out by the editing this season. Hearing people puking is vile. Why are they forcing this on viewers?? And what an invasion of privacy. 

Somehow I was shocked to see Courtney in Brian’s bunk. She seems so meh about him. And everything, lol. 

Rhylee is very unattractive. 

Poor Brian, why didn’t Captain Lee get him medical help a lot sooner?! 

That was Simone with her legs up in the air last night......squealing......eh??

Bravo was some nice to Simone.  

They blurred her vagina right before her walk of shame! 

Another stupid girl making sex tapes while doing a reality show.

Edited by Dance4Life
  • Love 4

Simone also doesn’t seem that receptive to training, when she couldn’t properly pour a beer Courtney tried to explain to her how to do it and she waved her off saying it didn’t matter.

I rewatched a few episodes with a friend and Simone is shown drinking so her complete inability to do anything related to alcohol including not mangling the citrus is flummoxing. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 17
10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Simone also doesn’t seem that receptive to training, when she couldn’t properly pour a beer Courtney tried to explain to her how to do it and she waved her off saying it didn’t matter.

I rewatched a few episodes with a friend and Simone is shown drinking so her complete in ability to do anything including not mangling the citrus is flummoxing. 

Yeah, how hard is it to cut lemon wedges?  Or to know how they are supposed to look?

• Love 19

Here’s the thing. You have seen multiple scenes of Kate whispering and witching around with Courtney and zero with Simone. She didn’t seem to want to connect with her besides superficially in a professional context. On the other hand you see scenes of  Courtney and Simone laughing and just talking.  Even Rhylee was making an attempt at getting to know Simone. That tells me something.

Too many people give Kate a pass because the love a mean girl.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

In the first meeting Courtney said she was good with guests and Simone said she was good at laundry and liked doing it. Also, Simone was on lunch service for the very first charter and helped cause a lot of the confusion because the guests were clearly hungry and Kevin was clearly ready to serve but she was so vague in her inquires and how she relayed the conversation that the guest had to come in and ask for a meat and cheese platter even though Kevin was ready to serve lunch.

• Love 24
6 hours ago, Special K said:

Kate should have waited a charter to assign the second/third stew positions, so that she could assess their experience and strengths.  I like Simone, but she seems even less on top of things than other third stews we've seen in the past, like Laura.  Her attitude is terrible and inexplicable.  A luxury yacht is a strange place to expect professional validation for your degree in mathematics.

Production is probably who made Simone second stew knowing it would cause drama.

Also, I remember Simone saying she like the work in the laundry.  Maybe that was her position before.  

Courtney shares my sense of humor, eye rolls and all. She's my favorite right now.

Tired of seeing drunk, horny, middle aged women.  Saying this as a middle aged woman.

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

Courtney shares my sense of humor, eye rolls and all. She's my favorite right now.

she seriously reminds me of my 26 yo daughter. Eye rolls and all

I also think she'd similarly give a cold shoulder to all those "bro" antics. 🙂

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 5

Even if she liked doing laundry, doesn't mean she only wants to do laundry, not getting a chance to interact more with the passengers and crew instead of being cooped up by herself in that dingy laundry room.

Kate only gave her one chance -- or maybe a couple of shifts on that one charger -- to do service?  As she said herself, it's not good to be stuck down there doing only that one thing.

So for her to say you're not a good second stew and so you have to stay down there is ridiculous.  Give her another chance, help her to improve.  A manager shouldn't write off an underling forever and play favorites -- of course it happens all the time but she should try to avoid doing it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, scrb said:

Even if she liked doing laundry, doesn't mean she only wants to do laundry, not getting a chance to interact more with the passengers and crew instead of being cooped up by herself in that dingy laundry room.

Every charter she has done at least some service from breakfast to a beach trip to last charter when it was more than that except for the creepy guest.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, lisalionheart said:

Brian's knee is exactly why I hated that Kate rolled her eyes last year at Caroline's ankle. Yes, Caroline was a lot, but you can't be cavalier about infections in the tropics. And normally I love Kate.

Caroline was sent to the doctor almost immediately and one of the issues Kate had with her is that she wasn’t following the doctors orders by staying off it. She legit whined because Kate was “forcing” her to stay in one of the guest state rooms and keep off of it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Caroline was sent to the doctor almost immediately and one of the issues Kate had with her is that she wasn’t following the doctors orders by staying off it. 

Yes, that's true. But in her talking heads she spoke extremely dismissively of her ankle, as though Caroline were overreacting.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, TV Glotzer said:

So Kevin thinks Courtney’s appreciation of his lame chicken Parmesan idea is evidence of her advanced palate? My god, chicken Parmesan? On a luxury yacht??  What a total wanker he is. 

Chicken parm is one of my faves yet I agree that it would be very disappointing to be served it on such a high end trip. NOPE. And it was just breaded chicken over sauce. They said, I think, authentic Italian which is actually not the Italian I like as it usually has zero red sauce. Ben would hit it outa the park, IMO. I miss Ben!

Also wanted to say I am very surprised nobody mentioned.......... 'OMG' and 'Jiminy Crickets'. 🤣 (ah, I see someone has...but the hanky panky time they dubbed those in and it was ROFL funny)

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Lamima said:

Chicken parm is one of my faves yet I agree that it would be very disappointing to be served it on such a high end trip. NOPE. And it was just breaded chicken over sauce. They said, I think, authentic Italian which is actually not the Italian I like as it usually has zero red sauce. Ben would hit it outa the park, IMO. I miss Ben!

Also wanted to say I am very surprised nobody mentioned.......... 'OMG' and 'Jiminy Crickets'. 🤣

It is literally mentioned directly above your post. Lol

I only started watching this show last year, so maybe this is two flukey years in a row, but from what I have seen Kate makes a close buddy of one stew and then eye rolls and complains to him or her about the other stew.

I think Simone is a sweetie. I like her. Kate, not so much.

• Love 7
On 12/2/2019 at 10:35 PM, biakbiak said:

Simone having to be told more than once that asking the guests what they need is what checking on the guests means is ridiculous. She has a real issue with exchanging information with the guests that probably means she is not a good fit for service. Her skills with service seem to be completely nonexistent and barely 3rd stew quality.

Simone has said multiple times that she’s only been relegated to laundry. Therefore she has no service skills. Continuing to stuff her in laundry and not training her does not help. She’ll never learn if the keeps getting hateful people who think that their shit don’t stink. Kate loves her little pet Courtney who refuses to do any laundry yet she doesn’t say one word to her. Why? Because Courtney like her is a mean girl who thinks it’s okay to talk about someone behind their back and make fun of them. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I haven't been here for a while, forgive me if this has been litigated already, but Kevin downsells his food and it irritates me. He insists on coming out and presenting it and micromanaging the presentation, then it's all eyes on Kevin for, 'oh, it's just a slab of meat, and that's just some potatoes. I just thought you'd maybe like it'. No! SELL it to us, Kevin, because it's not all that anyway! He needs to be taken aside and prepped on guest communication. He's done this in front of Cpt Lee at least twice so far. Kevin needs to leave the word 'just' out of all food related guest communications. 

• Love 13
18 hours ago, Neurochick said:

giphy.gif

Everything you said is true. 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾. She didn’t stay in her place (laundry), so now Kate and others are upset.

Edited by spunky
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, spunky said:

Simone has said multiple times that she’s only been relegated to laundry. Therefore she has no service skills. Continuing to stuff her in laundry and not training her does not help. She’ll never learn if the keeps getting hateful people who think that their shit don’t stink. Kate loves her little pet Courtney who refuses to do any laundry yet she doesn’t say one word to her. Why? Because Courtney like her is a mean girl who thinks it’s okay to talk about someone behind their back and make fun of them. 

But we have seen her multiple times over the episodes not be regulated to laundry, to work services and get some training but when that training is literally as basic as how to pour a beer or open a wine bottle (you can find a gazillion YouTube videos to do all sorts of basic service work, If you knew that you had no experience try to watch a few of those and buy a bottle of wine or two and a some beers and practice). Six weeks isn’t going to help her when she doesn’t even know that asking guests what they want = checking on the guests. At the end of the day they are here to give the best service to the guests not give Simone on the job training. Yes, it sucks for her but she seems neither proactive or even that interested in getting feedback see Kate always having to ask her if she wants to leave the laundry and Courtney explaining something and her not listening.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 24
On 12/2/2019 at 8:34 PM, Lizzing said:

And, BTW, where was the parm part of the chicken parm? A bit in the crust doesn't cut it--I want gooey strings of melted cheese, damn it! All I saw was red sauce and breaded chicken tenderloins...something that can be made with exactly 2 items purchased at Costco.

And to paraphrase AJ Soprano, where was their fucking pasta?

That whole meal was some strange culinary stylings. Did Kevin stage under Chef Rocky? Because, when it's too hot in SE Asia to eat outside at night, who doesn't think of chicken parm?

Especially when that lovely fried item is preceded by a giant beer-battered fried oyster. With a lovely apple garnish that prepares the palate for the (I'm guessing) real pre-made Italian-style breadcrumbs in the next course. As you can hear every week in the North End of Thailand: Monday is Kevin's Chicken Parmesean Day!

At least Tanner ate well in this episode.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, biakbiak said:

But we have seen her multiple times over the episodes not be regulated to laundry, to work services and get some training but when that training is literally as basic as how to pour a beer or open a wine bottle (you can find a gazillion YouTube videos to do all sorts of basic service work, If you knew that you had no experience try to watch a few of those and buy a bottle of wine or two and a some beers and practice). Six weeks isn’t going to help her when she doesn’t even know that asking guests what they want = checking on the guests. At the end of the day they are here to give the best service to the guests not give Simone on the job training. Yes, it sucks for her but she seems neither proactive or even that interested in getting feedback see Kate always having to ask her if she wants to leave the laundry and Courtney explaining something and her not listening.

So should she just stay in her place and whistle while she works? Of course she doesn’t have confidence around guests or know how to perform service tasks properly, she’s been in laundry for 2 damn years. It’s not uncommon for a Black person to get hired not be properly trained and then get accused for not knowing what to do. Kate loves Courtney because that’s what is familiar to her and she has no time for someone who looks nothing like her and Courtney.

Edited by spunky
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, snarts said:

No, she should proactively seek out opportunities to improve her guest service skills rather than sulk and complain.  Kate's made efforts to show her how to open a wine bottle, to suggest that she actually talk to the guests when she checks on them, to let her make drinks.  Courtney tried to show her how to pour a beer.  In in case, Simone was dismissive & defensive. She's not going to learn anything that way,

Someone upthread said that she's sending mixed signals and that couldn't be more true,. We've seen her ask to do laundry, exclaim that she loves ironing and could never get sick of it, be relieved to be sent back to laundry, then she runs around telling people that she's unhappy.  The hell?

Tanner disappointed me. I don't understand the need to overshare about sexual exploits, especially to the co-workers of the other party. 

Tanner was really disgusting and disrespectful. Ashton as his boss was even worse for encouraging him to have that conversation with other crew members.

• Love 15
42 minutes ago, spunky said:

Tanner was really disgusting and disrespectful. Ashton as his boss was even worse for encouraging him to have that conversation with other crew members.

Absolutely! When Rylee walked up to them and Ashton told Tanner "Tell her what  you just told me" makes me hate Ashton as much as I now hate Tanner for going along and repeating it! Filthy pigs, both of them.

Is there not enough to do on these yachts that the guests have to go wandering around to the personal quarters of the Capt'n while he is getting dressed? Or walk in to the galley and disrupt the chef and stews? Pathetic. 

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

When Rylee walked up to them and Ashton told Tanner "Tell her what  you just told me" makes me hate Ashton as much as I now hate Tanner for going along and repeating it!

and Rylee earned a point or two for saying "WHY DID YOU TELL ME THAT?"

• Love 23