Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Why would Laura sell Charlotte's shares in ELQ if they're doing well? Charlotte doesn't need to sit on the board and Laura can vote in her name at any board meetings, and they can rake in the money.

On the other hand, if Laura has no confidence in Drew and Michael and is afraid that they're going to tank the shares, it's a good time to sell. So yeah, go talk to her, Drew.

• Like 3

Who died and made Drew the “head” of the Quartermaines? Where does he get off telling Ned, who should be the head, than this POS Pod.

And maybe it’s nitpicking, but the Nurses Ball has always been a fund raiser for AIDS and HIV research and help for those who have the disease, and not about paying homage to nurses. Yes, the past three years, IN REAL LIFE, they have been at the forefront of the pandemic, but since this FAKAKTA show never acknowledged the disease in-show, I can only roll my eyes and be miffed there was no mention of Robin during the conversations.

The SLS and PSO can eat shit and DIE.

Spencer is acting as if the baby is his own spawn instead of his brother.

Big giant snooze as to how getting Eileen to help Anna and company has fizzled. When there was NEVER any hint she and Victor were also boinking each other. And I’d never thought to see the day when I found Anna BORING.

Obrecht can also take several gazillion seats.

That moron Dex was so pathetic, the way he was kissing Mooby’s ass, to be given more criminal stuff to do. Brain-damaged Jason didn’t have to do that.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

This was a really bad week to stockpile episodes and watch in a binge. Shrew sex, Victor non-sex, Carly and Joss talking about sex… way too much ewww. Saint Willow, Busybody Nina, Judgmental Olivia… way too many 1-dimensional caricatures. Martyr Curtis, Desperate Portia, Extraneous Hatman… way too much zzzzz.

I liked Laura, Esme and Overactive Pituitary Ace. I’m liking Trina and Spencer as a team, although I’d like to see more emphasis on their relationship and less on Spencer’s baby rabies. I’d like to see Ava and Austin club Annoying Cousin over the head and just do it already.

Above all, I want better stories. It figures; Ryan dies and the whole place falls apart. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

So plot point Maggie is done?  She doesn't care to get in touch with the beloved child she raised?  Either with a phone call, video chat, or a letter?  Esme, who is in prison and just had a baby.  Whatever show.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

This was a really bad week to stockpile episodes and watch in a binge.

Yep. 

Once I got over the ick factor of Victor and his little problem, I will admit that Eileen Ashby made me laugh a little. At least the story is moving now.

And GF has been outstanding. She's great at being sympathetic and at scheming. 

• Like 4
On 3/11/2023 at 12:32 AM, sunnyface said:

I miss Cam already.  Sydney and WL really helped make watching EM more bearable.  It appears that both actors no longer wanted to work on the show so I only wish the best for both of the kids but hope they return one day.  I have faith that GF and MW will help Spencer and Trina really hold their own but in the meantime. . . Dex just is not fluid enough. I honestly can't remember another actor that had left me thinking that MB turned in a better performance than his scenery partner.  Maybe Mo will take him under his wing.  Then again, things can always get worse.  Sad to see Mob Sonny back. 

I really like WL as Cam, and think he has a great natural chemistry with Becky, Genie and NAC and some good potential chemistry with Avery Pohl. But having him onscreen so infrequently is a detriment. They can’t write him a big story when they’re only going to have the actor when he’s on break from school. I hope they take advantage of his summer break but at this point it would probably be better if they could get someone permanent. Not that casting always hits it out of the park, because I totally agree that the guy playing Dex is a charisma free block of wood.

No idea why this show thinks the best story for a brand new popular young couple who barely kissed is to try and get custody of an infant. It’s so boring. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I've seen mentions here of the Sasha actress making words sound weird, but I've never personally been socked in the face with an example until Friday's episode. When Sasha was confronting Gladys about lies, it sounded as though she said, "I'm talking about your lice, Gladys!" 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • LOL 1
On 3/11/2023 at 3:21 PM, ciarra said:

Maxie is really insensitive to ask Michael to help with the Nurses' Ball. 

Yeah, that was really tone deaf, even for self absorbed Maxie.  Like dude is a little busy right now.  And I don’t even like Michael.

It’s so funny that both Willow and Esme are such tiny humans and they gave both of them these giant babies, one of which is a supposed preemie.  They are adorable but yes, huge.

• Like 3

Joss trying to stop Bobbie from asking Cam to perform at the Nurses’ Ball raised my blood pressure and I walked away from the scene so no idea how B. responded, but I did hear a “come together”.

Also annoying, Cody feeling guilty for screwing Mac around.

However, the grief scenes with Felicia and Kevin and Kevin and Mac were so well done. Nice writing and performing by all involved. I had tears in my eyes throughout. Best friend…😭💕 

This is why I can’t quit this show. So much history and heartfelt performances from oldies, even if they’re been spread thinly over a lot of fertilizer.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
On 3/9/2023 at 9:12 PM, statsgirl said:

The narcissism is strong with this one. Not "Trina is such a smart, brave girl, I would be proud if she turns out to be my daughter". But "Does she have my mother's eyes?"

Is it wrong that I want both SM and TA in character as Trina, telling him off in stereo?

I need emojis from @GHScorpiosRulefor an appropriate reaction to Carly telling Elizabeth they are "so much alike" and Elizabeth thanking her for stealing and returning a photo of the Webbers. Do NOT make these two women friends, Show. UGH.

The Mac, Kevin and Felicia scenes were beautiful.  Their tears and "my brother in life" made me misty.

Joss lying about her relationship stuff to Grandma Bobbie was so typical. Glad Bobbie at least gets to acknowledge missing Luke - but did Josslyn ever even know him?  And is the next scene going to be Josslyn crying instead that her boytoy got shot?

I liked Laura's surprised/offended face that Drew very bluntly wants to "take the burden off your hands" by buying the stock Charlotte inherited from Valentin.   Sure Drew, just totally forget the fact that a young girl is without her father...kinda like when your daughter was fatherless.

• Like 4
  • Applause 7

Drew came off slimy in his scenes with Ned on Friday and with Laura today. I guess it’s something different than the usual but he comes off like someone who thinks he’s way more charming and convincing than he actually is and you could tell that neither were buying what he’s selling. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Joss trying to stop Bobbie from asking Cam to perform at the Nurses’ Ball raised my blood pressure

Ya maybe let Cam decide for himself if he wants to preform or not, Plus don't deny us what is probably the best musical act they could have (I like Ned too). Interesting that Bobbie mentioned Epiphany's name. Are the going to recast or have something happen to Pip before the nurses ball so they could honour SE then.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Joss wanting Cam to not preform makes me hope he does and sings about a lying cheating ex and the block of Wood she cheated on him with. Also to get reactions from her Brother and ex Stepfather who he both works for 

• Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

The best part were the Mac/Kevin and Laura/Felicia scenes. I's like they were from a different, more nuanced show.

Does Carly run the hospital now? Did I miss this development? Because if she isn't, she has no right telling Victor where he can go. I also did appreciated her riding her white horse to Liz's defence when Liz can handle Victor just fine by herself.

If I were Nina, I wouldn't report Carly right now, but I'd let her know that if she doesn't mind herself, it will be done. Nina is far too nice/weak dealing with Carly.

Joss telling Bobbie not to ask Cameron to perform seemed more like Joss avoiding bad feelings for what she did to Cam than genuine concern for Cam. Maybe Cameron would enjoy being able to perform after the crappy time he's had.

29 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I liked Laura's surprised/offended face that Drew very bluntly wants to "take the burden off your hands" by buying the stock Charlotte inherited from Valentin.   Sure Drew, just totally forget the fact that a young girl is without her father...kinda like when your daughter was fatherless.

He also came off as pretty smarmy with Nina too in a 180 plot contrivance just so that Nina would not report him and Carly to the SEC.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
Just now, statsgirl said:

Joss telling Bobbie not to ask Cameron to perform seemed more like Joss avoiding bad feelings for what she did to Cam than genuine concern for Cam. Maybe Cameron would enjoy being able to perform after the crappy time he's had.

I assumed that she didn’t want him around because she’s involved in the NB and it’s out of sight, out of mind for her. Though she probably also assumes he can’t function now that he’s lost her because it would be typical. I doubt it’s about his feelings because she showed up at Kelly’s like 2 days after they broke up and wasn’t super concerned about how he felt then. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

Oh, look, a shootout where neither Sonny nor Dex is hit. How thrilling.

Why was Ned bringing Scout to the Qs? (I know it was for the plot point for him to hear Scout talk about Drewfus and Carly [which wasn't followed up on at all, naturally], but otherwise?)

47 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

The Mac, Kevin and Felicia scenes were beautiful.  Their tears and "my brother in life" made me misty.

They were so, so good. Everything those characters were feeling and saying was completely right. It proves what can happen when you use history properly in the show.

Of course Ava has the SEC in her contacts list. LOL.

"You got enough friends I can count them on one hand and have a finger leftover." "I hope you know what finger I'm saving for you." Hee.

26 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Drew came off slimy in his scenes with Ned on Friday and with Laura today. I guess it’s something different than the usual but he comes off like someone who thinks he’s way more charming and convincing than he actually is and you could tell that neither were buying what he’s selling. 

I'm glad Laura shut him down. That faux innocent "I'm only doing this for you!" was so gross. It also came across as patronizing: "Let me take these complicated money matters off your hands, little lady!" Ugh.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

a shootout where neither Sonny nor Dex is hit.

Actually, Dex was hit in the upper left arm, but he told Sonny that it was just a graze.  I'm sure it's not bad enough to stop JOss from sexing him up in 3..2...1

8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Why was Ned bringing Scout to the Qs?

He didn't.  It was Dante, (Scout's step daddy) dropping her off to daddy Drew so she could make a comment about the amount of time daddy spends with Carly.  Also, apparently so Drew could ask Dante about making babies with his baby mama and for me to be annoyed that the writers would bring that up when no offence to Kelly, but Sam is in her late 40 (46 is late 40s when you're talking pregnancy).  

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Having Dex as a discount Jason makes me feel like I should apologize about everything I used to say about Shawn and his bad aim during the years he was a Jason replacement. Is Dex supposed to be intentionally terrible at this because he already doesn’t look the part and I can’t recall Sonny ever having to save any of his Jasons.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
5 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:
16 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

He didn't.  It was Dante, (Scout's step daddy)

That makes so much more sense, LOL. I don't know why I saw Ned, not Dante!

42 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Ya maybe let Cam decide for himself if he wants to preform or not, Plus don't deny us what is probably the best musical act they could have (I like Ned too). Interesting that Bobbie mentioned Epiphany's name. Are the going to recast or have something happen to Pip before the nurses ball so they could honour SE then.

There will be a memorial for Epiphany at the end of this month. See the News topic for more info

• Useful 3
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't know why I saw Ned, not Dante!

The mind plays tricks on us, because when I read your sentence there was a moment when I thought, 'wait was that Ned?'  And I write the recap column for Daytime Confidential so I actually had to go back and double check to make sure I hadn't seen Dante instead of Ned!!!

• LOL 6

Thank you, vets.  It's hard to believe the show has been wasting Jon Lindstrom's talents playing Ryan all this time when it's Kevin who has so much depth and history to draw upon.  Kudos to KW, JY, GF and especially JL for this day.  

It was especially noticeable that nearly every other conversation on this show is superficial, and written solely for the purpose of plot advancement.  I know the plot has to move forward, but sometimes it's best to spend a few extra beats building the kinds of relationships and character history that the vets were able to play today.  Not looking forward to Sonny reminiscing about his favorite shootout.

I guess I can tolerate Cody if it means we get to keep Mac and Felicia in focus.  Hope we'll do the same for Laura and Kevin.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
Just now, Daisy said:

Why was Mac crying?

He and Kevin have been avoiding each other the past few days because while Kevin understands why Ryan needed to die, he still feels badly that his brother died.  Mac feels guilty at killing his best friends' brother.

Also, Kevin said Ryan was his bio brother but Mac was his non family blood brother and they both cried and hugged.  

30 minutes ago, DanaK said:

does it make any kind of sense that the hospital started when the show started?

No, but they can't exactly break the fourth wall and make it about the show starting.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, perkie1968 said:

He and Kevin have been avoiding each other the past few days because while Kevin understands why Ryan needed to die, he still feels badly that his brother died.  Mac feels guilty at killing his best friends' brother.

Also, Kevin said Ryan was his bio brother but Mac was his non family blood brother and they both cried and hugged.  

awww
thanks. I had the early shift today at work, so i missed the show.. appreciate that. 

• Like 2

That Carly/Elizabeth scene was abysmal on so many levels. Let's protect Elizabeth from big bad Victor (eye roll), you and are so similar (no you're not), stealing a the picture was violating, but thanks (WTF). Jeebus take the wheel. Other shows have nothing on GH when it comes to the Carlys propaganda. 

Cody is a trashy bitch. I can't believe they saddled Mac with this gaping sore of a man child. Get over yourself, Cody. Pack up your shit in your sad sack and get.

Joss making Cameron's choices for him is one of the carliest things ever. Cameron can speak for himself, lying cheater. Plus she's delusional. It was nice watching her loser boyfriend in a shootout while she was thinking about him leaving the mob. Good luck with that, Joss and STFU.

Also, STFU, Drewfus, you smarmy weasel.

The scenes with Kevin/Felicia/Laura/Mac. You can have scenes like this because these relationships were built and fostered for such a long time, not like what we have now where everything is plot driven at the expense of friendships/relationships.

The scenes with those four were good, like a completely different writer wrote them. And Mac/Kevin was especially good. I loved it.

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Actually, Dex was hit in the upper left arm, but he told Sonny that it was just a graze.  I'm sure it's not bad enough to stop JOss from sexing him up in 3..2...1

Sepsis, do NOT let me down.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Oh, look, a shootout where neither Sonny nor Dex is hit. 

Of course Ava has the SEC in her contacts list. LOL.

Dex was hit. It was Dante dropping Scout off. Ava was googling the number and when we were shown her phone, it looked like a list of government numbers.

Felicia, Kevin, and Mac were sublime.

Nina pissed off all the haters because she did exactly what they all have been saying she should do if she really loved Willow and wasn't such a selfish cow. They've been salivating for her to do the opposite forever; that would fuel their Nina rage for a good month.

There are no words for the level of disgust those Carly and Elizabeth scenes made this Elizabeth fan feel. Yuck!

• Like 11
13 minutes ago, driver18 said:

Felicia, Kevin, and Mac were sublime.

Truly wonderful.  Good work by JJY, JL, and KW.  I loved that all three characters got to express how they felt--and how the feelings were true to their long established characters. 

Now to the not-to-good:

Really, show?  Now we have to have Carly being Liz's savior, too?  She didn't need that shrew's help, nor did she then need to be lectured on how she was a doormat and, lastly, be made to have to thank the shrew for stealing her property. 

Joss asking Bobbie to not ask Cam to be in the NB is ALL about Joss feeling uncomfortable and nothing to do with Cam or his feelings.  Also, eyeroll at her sudden concern about "Uncle Luke," who I don't ever remember her having a scene with.  Clearly she brought that up to steer the convo away from herself.  Total Carly move.

Hey, Drew?  Fuck off with trying to ~sweet talk Laura out of Charlotte's shares.  The incredulous look you had that she didn't fall for your game show pitch will have me chuckling for days.

Dex/Sonny - I don't have the energy to even comment. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
42 minutes ago, driver18 said:

Nina pissed off all the haters because she did exactly what they all have been saying she should do if she really loved Willow and wasn't such a selfish cow. They've been salivating for her to do the opposite forever; that would fuel their Nina rage for a good month.

what did she do? Call the SEC?

Why does it look like there's a jail cell in Comet*'s barn?

*Comet was there first and Cody moved in. As far as I'm concerned, the place is belongs to Comet.

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Like 5
  • LOL 3

What infuriates me over "Carly saves Elizabeth" is that Elizabeth has survived worse than Carly has and thrived and she did it without needing a man to save her.

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Why do the writers think we want to watch a story about Mr. Sheffield having ed? Ick

There's a pathogen in his blood!  Maybe now that Willow is going to be save, Mr. Sheffield will have the Old Movie Disease.

Or maybe it's from coming into contact with whatever substance is involved in his nefarious plan and we'll finally move this plot along at last.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
19 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

No.  Ava gave her the contact info and Nina said she wasn't going to mess up whatever might happen with willow.  

I can see the future
Nina doesn't do it. but they do get in trouble and they'll find the number in her phone and blame Nina anyway

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Carly can't go CVS and Walgreens like a normal person? She needs to go GH for a prescription fill? All so she could save Liz and offer to be her bff?

While I want the SEC on Carly and Drew, I don't want Nina to do it because it doesn't do anything good for her only the opposite BC Willow would hate her more & attack, Sonny would attack and Sonny's daughter is out of a mother. 

Ned and Kevin were amazing. 

Cody needs to tell Mac the truth already. Dante is going to hide paternity from his boss everyday?

Good for Laura for turning that slimeball Drew down. 

Luke must be somewhere after that Bonnie/Joss convo. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Carly can't go CVS and Walgreens like a normal person? She needs to go GH for a prescription fill? All so she could save Liz and offer to be her bff?

Ned and Kevin were amazing. 

Luke must be somewhere after that Bonnie/Joss convo. 

Why does anyone go to the hospital to see an ordinary doctor?

Do you mean Mac and Kevin?

Do you mean Bobbie and Joss?

1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Carly can't go CVS and Walgreens like a normal person? She needs to go GH for a prescription fill?

GH is one of the few places in town that sells prenatal vitamins, too.  (Though I think Alexis once bought them at an actual P.C. pharmacy.)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Artsda said:

9 hours ago, DanaK said:

Why does anyone go to the hospital to see an ordinary doctor?

Soap opera plot convenience so people can run into each other at the hospital. There are no clinics or general or special practices.  All is done at the hospital.  

• Like 1

What was the random Carly/Liz scene about? Lol if they are struggling this bad with things for Carly do to when she isn’t around her kids or fighting with Nina, they should probably look into slashing LW’s guarantees because she’s essentially turned into a supporting character with disproportionate screen time. Tbh Sonny has too, though he has this mob SL going on right now, and they do the same insert into a random SL so he can give his POV that no one asked for as well. It’s annoying.

• Like 4
  • Applause 6