Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Not that I liked Drew before this but they are so obviously trying to throw him under the bus now so a couple months from now, Carly can walk away from him because of how he’s acting and not because she was using him as a stand in for Jason this entire time. She’s the last person who wants him to forget about his vendetta towards Nina. She lights up when anything bad happens to her. 

He is coming off completely unhinged. And it doesn't help that CM loves bugging his eyes out when talking about how much he hates Nina.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Um, no Mikey, you did NOT "totally come clean" with Sonny as you proudly boasted to Willow. You left out the tiny matter of how you hired Dex to take Sonny down, and PS. Dex is still working for you.  He is insufferable! Get him, Brick!

• Like 4
  • Applause 11
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Here’s hoping that Jax is recast as an African-American man with a Boston accent.

Or you could go all Battlestar Galactica or the Magnum P.I. reboot and cast a woman to play Jax. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Well that was a thoroughly unpleasant episode.  I guess writers that think Drew and Carly are a great pair thinking Brick should have a romance makes sense, in the grossest possible way.  SAS is an awful actor, and that whole weird shimmy thing he was doing with his shoulders during his 'sales pitch' to Jordan skeeved me out.

Honestly, if Dex is getting thrown under the bus, there seems to be a bigger one waiting to take Drew out.  The writing of him as this total asshole has to be deliberate.  When even asshole Carly and asshole Michael think you're going too far?  You've lost the plot, dude.  And other than her literal life, what does Drew think he can take from Nina?  Is he going to sue her for her fortune by claiming pain and suffering because he willingly took a deal for a crime he did commit? 

• Like 5
  • Applause 8

When people have been looking at photos of Spencer and reminiscing, why are all the photos of Nicolas Bechtel? ALL the photos have been of him. It makes me a little nervous that they will bringing him back as Spencer. I know that that wouldn't really work, but all the photos have been of him, so I need some reassurance that my imagination is going wild and this isn't in the realms of possibility.

So Brick doesn't use his expert internet skills to find out Dex has an offshore bank account, he just looks at a card on the bar.  And he concludes Dex must be on the wrong side because he has an offshore bank account.  But then, so does Sonny.  Does that make Sonny the mole?

In other news, Dex has a bed so Jex no longer have to have Couchsex.

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

When people have been looking at photos of Spencer and reminiscing, why are all the photos of Nicolas Bechtel? ALL the photos have been of him. It makes me a little nervous that they will bringing him back as Spencer. I know that that wouldn't really work, but all the photos have been of him, so I need some reassurance that my imagination is going wild and this isn't in the realms of possibility.

There were photos of both Bechtel and NAC. I remember one distinctly of him and Trina, and there were others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
16 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

He is coming off completely unhinged. And it doesn't help that CM loves bugging his eyes out when talking about how much he hates Nina.

His wild gesturing in every scene - unavoidable in ffwd - is so OTT that I’m hoping that’s how he’s being written/directed.

At the Savoy, the way that Brick/SAS said “my private line” when giving Jordan his card was so sleazy it made me cringe. And of course a Dex and Joss scene ends up with them screwing.

I was probably looking for anything to latch on to, but semi-enjoyed the axe-throwing quartet scenes <ducking>. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ljr said:

I never knew ax throwing places  existed. 

We have one locally and I don't understand it.  Also not thrilled with the idea of being surrounded by people who are good at it.

• LOL 7

I did ax throwing last year.  I  was at a music festival and they had a booth for it.  I was drunk.  I got no training.  Was this a good idea?  No.  It was fun, but I shouldn't have done it while drinking.  Especially for the first time.  It is something I could get into though, as long I was sober.  I would do it again. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, JMO said:
4 hours ago, ljr said:

I never knew ax throwing places  existed. 

We have one locally and I don't understand it.  Also not thrilled with the idea of being surrounded by people who are good at it.

There's an axe-throwing school in my community. One block over from an escape room. Makes me wonder about my new neighbors.

• LOL 11
On 2/5/2024 at 3:09 PM, nilyank said:

In other news, Jagger is back. Blonde and blue-eyed. He must be really, really underco ver

OLTL recast Blair with a white actress and GH recast Sage and Zander with white actors so it’s more of the same that’s been going on for decades. It’s as annoying as it’s ever been.

• Like 2

True enough re the recasting but in the case of Blair, her ethnicity was never a factor in the storyline, I loved Mia Korpf and was shocked when I saw KDP the first time, but MK was only there for a short time.

I like Jay Harrington. He’s easy on the eyes, can act and his Jagger hates Sonny. All pluses in my book.  But As many of us have said, recasting Jsgger with a Caucasian blond was a bit of an odd choice. I couldn’t care less if AS Jr comes back. But if you’re going to bring back an established character, even if he hasn’t been scene or heard from in forever, at least make an effort to cast appropriately.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

True enough re the recasting but in the case of Blair, her ethnicity was never a factor in the storyline, I loved Mia Korpf and was shocked when I saw KDP the first time, but MK was only there for a short time.

Given the century of Hollywood whitewashing non-white roles by casting white actors (a criticism Anna May Wong levied at Hollywood in the ‘30s, and it’s still a problem to this day) I don’t see any reason to handwave recasting any non-white character with a white actor just because the white actor was good or the story didn’t demand the need for a particular ethnicity.

You can make a world of excuses for why the shows do it but the issue remains this shouldn’t be excused for any reason. This show is known as “Generally White Hospital” (per Jordan’s original portrayer) precisely because of the mentality that leads to shows recasting non-white characters with white actors.

Nina doesn't believe in lost causes and wants Michael to mend with Sonny. Yet she treats Nina like dirt.  Nina only cares about herself? Nina was giving anything and everything she can for Charlotte, for Sasha.  

Jagger should just let Sonny be shot. 

Drew is the worst business man ever.  And going psycho.  Watch Willow and Carly say Nina deserves what ever Drew does to her. 

• Like 7

The question is, what was Jagger’s ethnicity supposed to be originally? Whatever it was, he was played by Sabato, a White Italian-American, so the White guy playing him now isn’t really too far off from the previous actor

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Jagger should just let Sonny be shot. 

You’d think, given what Sonny did to an underage Karen and how he tried to murder her and Jagger, that he wouldn’t care if Sonny lived or died. Why even bother bringing the character into the canvas if you’re going to ignore his ugly history with Sonny and just turn him into another mob sychophant?

With everyone enabling Sonny it’s almost as if Guza never left.

• Like 2
  • Applause 7

Willow also repeated the ' Nina was insecure about Carly' bs. That was never on the show. 

She was hurt and frustrated that while they both did awful things, she got blamed and punished and Carly skated, so she wanted Carly to suffer consequences for something, anything. 

The gaslighting on this show is just super weird. They know soap fans pay attention, right? 

• Like 18
  • Applause 3

I have to admit I like the new actor playing Jagger/John. Granted Jagger was leaving right when I really started watching as a kid. (Started watching when the Spencers came back). So I am not really as bothered by the recast. Hopefully he remains a noncorrupt and competent law enforcement agent. I do like that even though he was reluctant he still went to Sonny to warn him as it was the right thing to do. I don’t think they are trying to sweep away what happened between them before as when Sonny tried to put them on equal footing for treating Karen bad since Jagger cheated on her, John shut that down. I hope that they allow him to discuss what Sonny was like when he was first brought on. Watching old YouTube clips of them and wow I remember Sonny being pretty bad but they were already working on redeeming him a bit when I started. Also funny about the recast as watching these early Jagger and Karen clips there is a switch of actors playing AJ from a guy who looks more like Alan/Ned and BW AJ but taller then comes Sean Kannan later on. 

Kind of think this new actor would probably have been a better recast for Drew than CM. 

I do think the heavy handedness of the Nina is bad/wrong is just ridiculous only to be matched by Carly is awesome and can easily do what Nina can do but only better. 

• Like 13

I thought Diane and Robert decided not to pursue a relationship, so why are they having breakfast together? 

The Lucy/Tracy stuff and Nina/Carly/Drew stuff is so, so tedious.

OMG, Drew, you went to prison willingly for Carly!! STOP THE MADNESS. This fakakta show.

Carly, if you don't want to be dragged into Drew's orbit of vengeance, don't get dragged into it. Tell him you won't do it, and mean it. FFS. He's being deeply disrespectful of you; do you really want to deal with this man baby?

• Like 2
  • Applause 10
1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

Nina: "I don't understand why I continually have to pay for pointing out a crime that you and Carly have committed. I am through with the injustice and the indignity of being the pariah. I'm not going to take it lying down anymore."

Good for you, Nina. 

Honestly, I hope she means it.  Be the equivalent of the "I'll give you something to cry about" 1970's parent.

• Like 6
  • Applause 12

Why wasn’t Carly above petty revenge when she decided to take the Crimson job in the first place? She was all for hurting Nina’s feelings that day and tossing her nameplate in the trash. Seems like it’s only an issue now because shockingly, she has to work in a job she never wanted in the first place and she’s already “won” since Sonny and Willow are mad at Nina and icing her out. Though, something tells me she won’t be so ready to move on if Sonny and the others decide to get over it and forgive Nina. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Kmr said:

Also funny about the recast as watching these early Jagger and Karen clips there is a switch of actors playing AJ from a guy who looks more like Alan/Ned and BW AJ but taller then comes Sean Kannan later on. 

Actually, the original young adult AJ was some brunette, before Sean Kanan took over the role; then Billy Warlock was recast as AJ; and Sean reprised his role when Carlivati and Frank took over as show runners and fired him for being fat, so "dead" Jason could return.

• Useful 2
1 minute ago, YaddaYadda said:

Drew can miss me with his I went to prison schtick. Your decision, your consequences, douchebag.

I wish someone would point that out to him at least as often as he and Carly are reminded that they committed insider trading.

• Like 5
  • Applause 7

I want Sonny to find out that Michael hired Dex originally to take Sonny down, then decided to have Dex babysit him instead, and Carly knew about it. 

And I want to see Nina point out that there is always forgiveness for Michael and Carly, but none for her.

• Like 12
  • Applause 7
  • Love 4

On what planet would Heather getting out of prison early and seeking custody of Ace be an actual possibility? She broke out of prison, murdered 3 people, tried to kill a couple others and those are just her most recent crimes. Even if she wasn’t completely insane, I don’t think any parole board’s going to have her on the list for an early release.

• Like 8
  • Applause 6
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Carly has to put out the new edition of Crimson that Nina worked on and probably completed before she was fired? Is she going to pop the champagne and celebrate how she made something (she did sweet fuck all on) a success?

Now the writers want us to believe a magazine edition gets put together from soup to nuts in a matter of a couple weeks.  Go home, writers, you're drunk.

And hilarious how, as mentioned above, NOW Carly is "above petty revenge."  When did she have this epiphany?  After she smug-mugged her way into Crimson's office looking like she was cos-playing a Charlie's Angel and took over a magazine simply because of "petty revenge?" 

Here's hoping Drew's bloodlust for vengeance leads him to be so consumed he's not paying attention and falls down an elevator shaft. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 14
  • LOL 2

Also, the adoption is probably a non issue because either Nikolas get out of prison and reclaim his kid, Esme will come back and/or this baby is being retconned into not being a Cassadine but why is Laura the only option for keeping the baby? I know she’s the grandmother but her and Kevin are in their 60s with demanding jobs. Asking them to raise a kid that young is a lot when Nikolas has plenty of other relatives who are younger and they’ve already had to serve as Spencer’s guardian and had Charlotte on and off those times Valentin was MIA. Like Nikolas has 3 adult cousins in PC, one who has kids and another who actively wants a child right now. One of them would make way more sense for a guardian. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
47 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Also, the adoption is probably a non issue because either Nikolas get out of prison and reclaim his kid, Esme will come back and/or this baby is being retconned into not being a Cassadine but why is Laura the only option for keeping the baby? I know she’s the grandmother but her and Kevin are in their 60s with demanding jobs. Asking them to raise a kid that young is a lot when Nikolas has plenty of other relatives who are younger and they’ve already had to serve as Spencer’s guardian and had Charlotte on and off those times Valentin was MIA. Like Nikolas has 3 adult cousins in PC, one who has kids and another who actively wants a child right now. One of them would make way more sense for a guardian. 

I mean Molly and TJ are ready to start a family.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Wait someone floated to possiblility of Heather, a known psychotic who tried to toss a baby off a roof BEFORE she became a serial killer as a possible custodial parent for Ace? 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Honestly, I hope she means it.  Be the equivalent of the "I'll give you something to cry about" 1970's parent.

oh if I had a penny for everytime I heard that growing up i'd be a millionaire. 

• Love 2

Why does Laura need to adopt the baby?  Nikolas can just give her custody.  If he has any rights at the moment.  

Go Nina finally she's going to stop being the whipping post.  Drew psycho can go far away. 

Hopefully Dex tells the truth about Sonny's son. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Hopefully Dex tells the truth about Sonny's son. 

Did Willow know that Michael had Dex on his payroll?  I know that Joss and Carly were aware.  Anyway, I hope it blows up his marriage once and for all.

I doubt Kevin and Laura's raising a child will involve more than handing it off to a nanny, while they go about their business.

Martin needs to quit it with the Baby Sister.  Twice in one show.  I don't care if it's a southern thing, he needs to stop infantilizing Laura.

Edited by ciarra
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Did Willow know that Michael had Dex on his payroll?  I know that Joss and Carly were aware.  Anyway, I hope it blows up his marriage once and for all.

Michael had told Willow everything.

• Sad 1
13 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Randomly saw this over the weekend and it cracked me up. It's true that I'm always seeing memes featuring him, mostly because he says wacky stuff on SportsCenter. 

Screenshot 2024-02-11 12.35.15 AM.png

I still cannot believe this dude is on GH, living his soap opera fanfic dreams, playing a fictional character and tryna bedhop with Cyborg Jordan. Somehow even he is a better actor than her, and he is a whole-ass ESPN sports TV personality whose meme fodder will live forever on Twitter.

I have no beef with Stephen Smith; he has given me hours of merriment on social media. But this is not Celebrity Soap Fantasy Camp. It is not the Make Stephen A. Smith's Wish Foundation. You didn't see Regis coming on the show, playing a suave playboy and knocking boots with Nurse Amy in 1994. It's truly surreal to watch. Let's move this along!

• Applause 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

I have no beef with Stephen Smith; he has given me hours of merriment on social media. But this is not Celebrity Soap Fantasy Camp. It is not the Make Stephen A. Smith's Wish Foundation. You didn't see Regis coming on the show, playing a suave playboy and knocking boots with Nurse Amy in 1994. It's truly surreal to watch. Let's move this along!

No more surreal than James Franco's GH experiment. I can't stand Brick, but James Franco was really a terrible decision by the show, plus I'll never understand why the character was revived.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Also, the adoption is probably a non issue because either Nikolas get out of prison and reclaim his kid

Here's what I don't get - with Esme supposedly dead, who would testify against him?  What kind of case could they possibly build?  I mean, we all know what he did but he can say Esme was staying with him voluntarily for the duration of her pregnancy so he could "take care of her" or some nonsense.  I know Elizabeth knows the truth but she would minimize whatever she says - given the ineptness of the DA's office and the fact that he has Cassadine resources, I doubt he'd get more than a slap on the wrist.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MarciNJ said:

Here's what I don't get - with Esme supposedly dead, who would testify against him?  What kind of case could they possibly build?  I mean, we all know what he did but he can say Esme was staying with him voluntarily for the duration of her pregnancy so he could "take care of her" or some nonsense.  I know Elizabeth knows the truth but she would minimize whatever she says - given the ineptness of the DA's office and the fact that he has Cassadine resources, I doubt he'd get more than a slap on the wrist.

Liz had already confessed to DA her role in helping Nikolas in keeping Esme prisoner. It is Liz’s confession which was used to put out an arrest warrant on Nikolas in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, dubbel zout said:
19 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Drew can miss me with his I went to prison schtick. Your decision, your consequences, douchebag.

I wish someone would point that out to him at least as often as he and Carly are reminded that they committed insider trading.

It’s so stupid.  Like yeah I’d be pissed if I found out someone ratted me out to the feds but at the end of the day I’d be like well, I committed the crime so….sometimes it be’s like that🤷‍♀️. These two are just insufferable, and Drew is actually being written as borderline abusive right now and it’s just so, so distasteful.

On 2/10/2024 at 4:08 PM, Sake614 said:

his Jagger hates Sonny. All pluses in my book.

Give him time.  Everyone who used to be staunchly anti-Sonny has eventually softened towards him.  I expect no less here, if Jagger sticks around that is.

• Like 5

On things I don't really care about, but am wondering about anyway: why did Lucy and Martin break up? Or did they break up? Idk. Lol I caught some parts of an episode last week. Martin was wanting to go have breakfast and they were good. The next thing I saw was Lucy going to ask him for another chance.