Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Semiglued said:

I’m with Spencer on everything - his being upset about Cam leaving, his hatred for Esme and distrust of her. He’s right about all of it.

I don’t know what story the show is trying to tell though, and his hyper focus on Esme makes me worried they’re destined for a triangle with Trina. Honestly at this point I would rather see a Joss/Dex/Esme triangle even though Dex is super lame, because I want to see Joss lose. 

I think the actor playing Dex is a talentless block of wood but I would still love a Joss/Dex/Esme triangle, especially if Dex is super sympathetic toward Esme.  In fact I would love it if Esme slowly won over everyone in her life, especially Trina, Spencer and Laura simply because it would ruin Carly Jr's day--anything and anyone that makes Joss unhappy and forces her to admit that she's not the center of everyone's universe is a winner in my book :)

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

They actually write Bobbie to not only forgive it now, but friggin' laugh about it.  "Haha, oh honey, remember when you can to town and slept with my husband?  Good times, good times!"

I really wish One Good Writer had been able to escape from the basement and had written a scene where Lucas unloaded on Carly about upending his life twice - the first when she set out to destroy his parent's marriage and the second when Wiley was taken from him. Carly and Michael barely gave any thought to Lucas. 

• Applause 14
25 minutes ago, Semiglued said:

I’m with Spencer on everything - his being upset about Cam leaving, his hatred for Esme and distrust of her. He’s right about all of it.

I don’t know what story the show is trying to tell though, and his hyper focus on Esme makes me worried they’re destined for a triangle with Trina. Honestly at this point I would rather see a Joss/Dex/Esme triangle even though Dex is super lame, because I want to see Joss lose. 

The think the show is trying to sway he audience’s feelings on Esme by making Spencer look like the unreasonable one. Hence why Laura seems to be on her side and points out how much she cares about the baby. It’ll probably work for some people but when it’s this blatant and unearned, it doesn’t resonate with me 

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

Sonny didn’t have much of a reaction to the possibility that Joss and Dex are together. So much for Joss’ claims that it needs to be a secret because he would have Dex killed

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 7

Esme doesn’t think she deserves to go to jail over something she doesn’t remember doing but also is certain that Ryan influenced her actions even though she doesn’t remember. Trina brings up that Esme drugging her and the sex tape weren’t Ryan’s ideas but Esme deflects. 

• Useful 5
8 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Sonny didn’t have much of a reaction to the possibility that Joss and Dex are together. So much for Joss’ claims that it needs to be a secret because he would have Dex killed

I want her to come storming over screeching about how it's her life and she can do what she wants and he has no right to kill Dex and for him to look at her totally uninterested and say "Josslyn, I don't care who you sleep him."  The WHAAAAA? look on her face would be so worth it.

• Like 7
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

Trina should have found out that Esme drugged her onscreen. Same with Laura finding out about Nikolas. The show keeps doing big moments offscreen while the show has so much filler and repetitive scenes. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I know Alexis is an alcoholic, but shouldn’t she also assume that a man Gregory’s age could be having a stroke or another medical event? Poor guy.

Trina is brilliant. 😁

Nina wants Willow to survive so much she’s willing to throw Liesl under the bus. Not a good look.

• Like 11
23 hours ago, Daisy said:

sigh.
Cam wants to be stay friends with Joss. come on :(

Seriously. How can you be friends with someone you can't trust? Just because you have history? Nope. You're allowed to be mad for awhile, Cam. That might even be healthier than squashing your feelings for Joss's.

Yet another storyline with no real stakes. I would really like to know what goes on behind the scenes on this show that requires Carly, and now Joss, suffer no consequences and, indeed, we're told are good people, no matter what they do or who they hurt.

Also, seriously, Show, Dr. Obrecht couldn't even tell Carly "No, thank you." when she offered to show her to the door? Because the Dr. Obrecht I know would've at least given her a withering look, since she couldn't do what she really wanted, which is to shove Carly's head through the door, y'know, so as not to upset Willow.

I hope this Three's Company thing going on at Sonny's isn't about making Dex Spencer's new best friend, now that Cam's going away. Stop trying to make fetch happen, Show.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
7 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Also, seriously, Show, Dr. Obrecht couldn't even tell Carly "No, thank you." when she offered to show her to the door? Because the Dr. Obrecht I know would've at least given her a withering look, since she couldn't do what she really wanted, which is to shove Carly's head through the door, y'know, so as not to upset Willow.

In the words of Ricky Ricardo: "Wha Happen'd?"

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

They actually write Bobbie to not only forgive it now, but friggin' laugh about it.  "Haha, oh honey, remember when you can to town and slept with my husband?  Good times, good times!"

That's horrific because not only did she purposely sleep with Tony (not to absolve him) she also drugged AJ so she could try to pass Michael off as Tony's kid. That was the catalyst for all the nonsense we see today. Not at all funny.

Edited by slayer2
  • Like 8
  • Applause 5
17 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

In the words of Ricky Ricardo: "Wha Happen'd?"

Lisel can donate the marrow - but she has to wait until her medication is out of her system. Then Carly went "do you want to nap? to Willow and Willow said no, so Carly is like "okay, Ill show you out." to Lisel. (like i dunno. maybe Lisel would want to stay and spend time with her new family, Carly.) and Lisel pretty much got up and left. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Semiglued said:

Too soon for a triangle - they barely started with Spencer and Trina.  No triangles!

Dex is sort of upstanding (isn't he a war vet who is faking being a mobster to take down Mooby?) so he wouldn't like Esme.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Lisel can donate the marrow - but she has to wait until her medication is out of her system. Then Carly went "do you want to nap? to Willow and Willow said no, so Carly is like "okay, Ill show you out." to Lisel. (like i dunno. maybe Lisel would want to stay and spend time with her new family, Carly.) and Lisel pretty much got up and left. 

Thanks. But someone upthread mentioned how Nina was throwing Obrecht under the bus. How, what now?

• LOL 1
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Thanks. But someone upthread mentioned how Nina was throwing Obrecht under the bus. How, what now?

Ohh that. 

I think Nina said "well can you donate anyway?"" when she heard that she has to wait for the drugs to leave the system. (I was in the bathroom during that part)

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Sonny didn’t have much of a reaction to the possibility that Joss and Dex are together.

That was so weird.  Spencer said: "Joss broke up with Cam so she can get with Dex" and I was all excited that there would be movement there, but Sonny not only didn't react to that but said nothing about it to either Spencer or Dex and then he left.  Weird.  

1 hour ago, Desperado said:

Nina wants Willow to survive so much she’s willing to throw Liesl under the bus.

I didn't see it as throwing her under the bus.  Nina thinks Willow will drop dead five minutes from now (If only) so waiting for the medication to get out of Liels's system before they can do the transpant, would make her worry that it will take too long, allowing Willow to die.

My husband's cousin had leukemia and needed a transplant but by the time they found one that was a match, it was too late, she wouldnt' have survived the transplant and so they couldn't do it and she passed.  

I can understand Nina's transplant rabies.  

• Hugs 6
  • Love 1

Don't waste your emotional energy on Joss, Cam. She's so not worth it.

News flash, Spencer: As the giant baby's mother, Esmé is his real family, no matter how much you want it to be otherwise. Ugh. Also, just ignore Dex. You have no authority over him, so stop trying to boss him around. You look like a jackass.

36 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

We know Willow isn’t going to die so I don’t get why the show is dragging it out like this. 

Same. There's no drama here whatsoever. What's more, two weeks after Willow gets the bone marrow, it'll be like nothing ever happened. Another total waste of time.

• Like 5
  • Applause 6

Did anyone get brother vs brother vibes with Dex and Spencer yesterday?  I usually hate that stuff but since they tie every new character to an existing family, I think I could like watching Dex take Spencer down a peg or two before they inevitably bond. (As long as SWMNBN stays dead, dead, dead.)

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But someone upthread mentioned how Nina was throwing Obrecht under the bus. How, what now?

I don't think she was throwing her under the bus.  Liesl got the call and said she can donate but there is a problem.  Nina, who was already on edge about them not having heard yet and how Willow doesn't have much time, said something like, but you can still donate'.  Which might have seemed as though Nina didn't care about Liesl's health, just wether she can still give her marrow.  

2 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Did anyone get brother vs brother vibes with Dex and Spencer yesterday?

Spoiler free, but I think that's where they're going.  Which means Courtney would have been a teen mom since she was fairly young when she came to town, since Dex would have to be older than Spencer.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 5
20 hours ago, Daisy said:

LOL okay to be fair when i first saw it i was like - but Leslie IS Monica why would she fight herself. that's why i asked. LOL. i forgot about Leslie (Laura's mom) and Monica going at it back in the day 

Yeah, in all seriousness Leslie was THE heroine of the show when she arrived at GH. Denise Alexander brought a really revolutionary, naturalistic acting to daytime that is, sadly, more often credited to male actors like Tony Geary and Gerald Anthony, who were slightly later on the scene.

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 6
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

Did anyone get brother vs brother vibes with Dex and Spencer yesterday?  I usually hate that stuff but since they tie every new character to an existing family, I think I could like watching Dex take Spencer down a peg or two before they inevitably bond. (As long as SWMNBN stays dead, dead, dead.)

I'm kind of surprised they haven't had Alicia Leigh Wills and Adult Spencer have a fantasy sequence yet. They did it with Kiddie Spencer and they did with Adult Brady and Isabella on Days Of Our Lives.

• Like 1

Does Alexis not know the symptoms of a stroke? If I saw an older person slumping over and then slurring their words I would be calling 911 (and trying to find an aspirin)

Those preschool ninja mutant babies are soooo cute, that was my highlight.

It was nice to have some scenes of the quad ( Cam, Spencer, Trina, Joss) before Cam leaves,

• Like 4

My guess is they're going to give Gregory ALS. 

What's in the letter Heather sent to Esme that caused that wide-eyed stare--her BLT recipe?

Nice to see Baby Hoarder Carly is still in effect. 

Ugh, this contention with Dex and Spencer really does seem to be pointing towards the 'hey, you two enemies are brothers' trope.

So glad Willow is just, by sheer force, not allow the cancer to kill her until Liesl's sweet, sweet bone marrow is good to go.  

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Does Alexis not know the symptoms of a stroke? If I saw an older person slumping over and then slurring their words I would be calling 911 (and trying to find an aspirin)

I know! Alexis's insistence that Gregory was drunk makes her look very bad. I get that was her first thought, but she's never seen him drunk before this, so after he said no, and then was off balance and slurring his words, she should have dropped it and called 911. This makes her look terrible.

I'm sure the quad thinks that Esmé will revert to her pre-accident terrible self once the current charges are dropped, but that would only ensure she gets prosecuted and possibly lose her giant baby. Esmé already knows the custody issue is shaky; why would she make it worse? 

• Like 6

I do love that they kept Spwncer's over the top/dramatic quirk in his personality. Males him different and very much a Cassadine. Plus, while he can get selfiah, he doesnt mince words and he will give the real tea out.

Glad they didnt let Trina just whitewash and forgive Esme, like everyone else and fogured put how to handle her moving forward. Seems like the teens are the only ones that arent clueless or inept.

• Like 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Pingaponga said:

I'm not up on bone marrow transplants, but shouldn't Willow be getting hard core chemo now to prepare for the transplant?

YES!!!!!  That bothered me so much. Before Willow can receive a donation, her own cells have to be burned away.

I don't know what it is with this show that the Carlys must always be blameless. It's going to take a few hours to 2 days to get the drugs out of Obrecht's system depending on which one she is taking; it's going to take much longer to prep Willow for a transplant. Any holdup  is not because of Obrecht.

18 hours ago, Daisy said:

also i feel a bit of that rant is that he is going to lose his best friend and cousin.  very admittedly sometimes my first reaction is not "Oh yay!" if something happened with my friend and it results in them going far far away lol 

I find it weird that no one expects people to go to college away from Port Charles. My sister had one daughter go east to Dalhousie and the other to the opposite end of the country at UBC. And you can't say that Toronto doesn't have a good university. Or three.

4 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Trina brings up that Esme drugging her and the sex tape weren’t Ryan’s ideas but Esme deflects. 

If she really doesn't remember (and given her horror at Heather's letter she probably doesn't), she doesn't know that that part was her own idea.

3 hours ago, Desperado said:

I know Alexis is an alcoholic, but shouldn’t she also assume that a man Gregory’s age could be having a stroke or another medical event? Poor guy.

Alexis is an alcoholic so she interprets everything through that lens. She sees some slurring his words and stumbling at lunchtime so her mind goes to an addiction especially since Gregory has been lying to her. TJ might have thought 'stroke ' although maybe not given how quickly Gregory recovered. When my aunt had a TIA (pre-stroke), she didn't recover her ability to speak until much later.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Kim0820 said:

Too soon for a triangle - they barely started with Spencer and Trina.  No triangles!

Dex is sort of upstanding (isn't he a war vet who is faking being a mobster to take down Mooby?) so he wouldn't like Esme.  

Dex’s backstory makes no sense. He doesn’t work for the feds, he’s just a mercenary. Who’s to say his employers are any better than Sonny? And he had no problem boning Joss while she was with someone else so he’s not all that moral. I can’t even hate the guy tho he’s just so blah. 

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm sure the quad thinks that Esmé will revert to her pre-accident terrible self once the current charges are dropped, but that would only ensure she gets prosecuted and possibly lose her giant baby. Esmé already knows the custody issue is shaky; why would she make it worse? 

Pre-amnesia Esme hardly thought or acted in a rational manner. Of course they think she will be unhinged again. 

I get the Dex and Spencer will be brothers vibe too, which will make him Sonny’s nephew. I only accept this storyline if somehow it makes him turn on Joss. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4

Faces I am SO SICK of:

BLQ's Chase boo boo face.

Willow's waning saintly princess face.

Nina's getting the goods on someone Gladys Kravitz' squint.

Michael's "using my tongue to dislodge a popcorn hull from my molar" face.

Carly's face ...period.

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 17
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I find it weird that no one expects people to go to college away from Port Charles. My sister had one daughter go east to Dalhousie and the other to the opposite end of the country at UBC. And you can't say that Toronto doesn't have a good university. Or three.

in my graduating class i think 50% (if not more), went to U of T - or schools within the Golden Horseshoe so very easy quick commutes to either live at home (or come home for weekends). and a good chunk of those who went to college (not university), went to again schools in the GTA. I went to university 1.5 hrs from Toronto as I said but I did my college education out West. 

it's sort of why i got so mad when I watched Degrassi - and the first 6 years everyone went to college in their version of the GTA - but the later seasons everyone was going to school in the states. like. BUT WHY. 

So i see either either way. 

1 hour ago, racked said:

I get the Dex and Spencer will be brothers vibe too, which will make him Sonny’s nephew. I only accept this storyline if somehow it makes him turn on Joss. 

which basically means.... this is a crap re-deux of the Dante storyline. but instead of Olivia shrieking "DAMN YOU, SONNY, YOU SHOT YOUR OWN SON!" someone will shriek. "DAMN YOU SONNY, YOU SHOT YOUR OWN NEPHEW!"

which is to say pls don't do this show

• LOL 3

I can't believe Willow was worried about a Premie when Amelia is able to hold her head up and get bounced around as a newborn. Both sets of giant newborns are cute though. 

They're trying to make it seem like Trina is on top of trying to make sure Esme will eventually pay, but I know this is the writers setting up Esme walking. 

I'm cosigning the brother vs brother vibe, unfortunately. I'd much rather Dex be AJs son looking for revenge on Sonny, Carly and Michael (and not coming around on them. ) Or a random Fed. If they do go with Courtney's son, they're tossing away a potential Dex/Kristina hook up. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Trina brings up that Esme drugging her and the sex tape weren’t Ryan’s ideas but Esme deflects. 

truthfully, I would be deflecting everything.. She doesn't remember anything, and so why admit/commit to something that can be used against you?

• Like 3

I’m probably a party of one but I understood Alexis’ theory that Gregory is hiding an addiction issue. The symptoms don’t completely fit but the way he was lashing out and pushing her away when she asked him what was going on screamed addiction. I think we’re supposed to also assume that they spend a lot of time together and he’s never exhibited this slurring and lose of balance around her before. All she knows is that he’s been lying to her and his sons about something.

Now is it her business, no, but I got why she didn’t think he’s hiding some other medical issue because it doesn’t quite make sense why he would. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I’m probably a party of one but I understood Alexis’ theory that Gregory is hiding an addiction issue. The symptoms don’t completely fit but the way he was lashing out and pushing her away when she asked him what was going on screamed addiction. I think we’re supposed to also assume that they spend a lot of time together and he’s never exhibited this slurring and lose of balance around her before. All she knows is that he’s been lying to her and his sons about something.

Now is it her business, no, but I got why she didn’t think he’s hiding some other medical issue because it doesn’t quite make sense why he would. 

I agree. The fact that he was resisting her help meant he knew or had an idea what the problem was so I can see Alexis going right to drink or drug. I do think it will end up being a medical issue like ALS or MS or something neurological

• Like 4

I saw the last four episode today.

Such cute huge babies, and now their hair is growing in.

Looks like Amelia is going to be blonde for now. And Ace is going to join Cam at Stanford playing soccer.

It feels weird hearing Carly referred at Carly Spencer. Carly Corinthos is the right combination of names with the doubles C names. 

I never got used to Liz being Elizabeth Baldwin.

Trina's plan? Dumb. "Let's drop the charges for the baby and Esme becomes her wicked self, we will then undrop the charges against her"

What if Esme doesn't get her memories for another 20 years. Statue of limitation will be  done by then.

And if the DA's office agrees to not pursue the case against Esme, it means that they aren't going to look for any real evidence that will tie her to trying to kill Oz by drugging him and might not feel like trying the case years later because the victims of the crime decided to change their minds again.

Finally, I think Nina called Sonny "baby." Blech. Just nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Edited by nilyank
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I know! Alexis's insistence that Gregory was drunk makes her look very bad. I get that was her first thought, but she's never seen him drunk before this, so after he said no, and then was off balance and slurring his words, she should have dropped it and called 911. This makes her look terrible.

These two are not generating much of anything on screen.  Even this episode, replete with a medical crisis, dragged.  There always seems to be one too many repetitive scenes in each of their episodes.  The only potentially interesting thing about this story is whether he dies naturally or he dies by toxin

Edited by sunnyface
  • Like 7
12 hours ago, Cheetara1986 said:

I do love that they kept Spwncer's over the top/dramatic quirk in his personality. Males him different and very much a Cassadine. Plus, while he can get selfiah, he doesnt mince words and he will give the real tea out.

Glad they didnt let Trina just whitewash and forgive Esme, like everyone else and fogured put how to handle her moving forward. Seems like the teens are the only ones that arent clueless or inept.

I really laughed out loud the way Spencer told Dex to let his guests in.  I don't laugh much during GH.  I loved it.  I also thought that Spencer, Trina, Cam, and Joss were giving Scooby gang vibes at the end.  I liked it. 

11 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

Yeah, the fact that Esme is so adamant that her amnesia absolves her AND that Ryan must have made her do all the bad stuff she's accused of seems right out of Esme's manipulative playbook. 

Yep, I saw a lot of old Esme there yesterday.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, racked said:

Is there any way it could be via Nikolas?  He has been offscreen a few times.  Not the last time, when he was "dead," because the kid would be younger.  Though I've probably given them an idea for the future. 

Gregory used a phrase "you are being ridiculous."  That is associated with gaslighting. 

Edited by Kim0820
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, Kim0820 said:

Is there any way it could be via Nikolas?  He has been offscreen a few times.  Not the last time, when he was "dead," because the kid would be younger.  Though I've probably given them an idea for the future. 

Gregory used a phrase "you are being ridiculous."  That is associated with gaslighting. 

I guess, but I hated the way Alexis was acting, and I really like the character.  She doesn't usually get on my nerves at all.  There is something about an alcoholic insisting the only possible answer is that you're drunk, that rubs me.   I thought her behavior was offensive, clueless, and full of projection.  I see someone talking like that I call 911.  I don't start throwing around accusations.  To me, he looked like he was having a stroke.  That it didn't even occur to her as a possibility was inexcusable. 

Edit to explain I just had to call an ambulance for my mom 2 weeks ago.  Very similar situation.  It ended up she had a severe ear infection which is why she kept losing her balance, but she was presenting stroke symptoms, and it was the first thing the ER tested for.  I did NOT accuse her of hitting the bottle.  I don't know, it just bugged me. 

Edited by CeChase
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 4
11 hours ago, nilyank said:

Finally, I think Nina called Sonny "baby." Blech. Just nope. Nope. Nope. Nope

She did.  I will say, it felt organic and natural, no matter how much The Ick was involved.  I'm not saying these two generate a ton of heat, but they at least have a bit that he didn't have with LW (and that LW and CM haven't managed to attain).

• Like 7