Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Having raised two grandsons in the past 13 years, I can tell you that “booster seats” are for older kids. You put the boosters into the back seats and then buckle the kids in with the seat belts and shoulder harnesses. Takes 5 seconds. The baby seats are much more complicated. We just kept those in my car and my husband’s truck all of the time because they were a pain in the ass to insert.

• Love 4
On 8/29/2022 at 2:51 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

And of course she's going to get praise for saving Ava, to which her reply will no doubt be along the lines of "Ava's done a lot of awful things to my family and she deserves to suffer, but it wouldn't be right just to leave her there to die."

Quoting myself because she basically said this not once, but TWICE today.  And LO-fucking-L at her snipe about Sonny not honoring commitments.  You mean like how Carly didn't honor her marriage to your Dad, you idiot? 

Please, Donna, wake up screaming tomorrow before Mommy and "Uncle Drew" start banging on the countertop.  NO ONE wants to see that. 

Tanisha Harper delivers every line Jordan has like the person she's talking to peed in her corn flakes.  Why so surly?

Also, what the hell is this with "Ava threw your father sleeping with Esme in your face" narrative.  I feel like the show is gaslighting the audience to believe Ava had this hooking coming.  But, hey, THANK GOD FOR JOSS, right?  :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

• Love 15
1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I’m not sure why that would be the assumption. CMat is a bigger name than SBu, plus he was hired before SBu was fired so obviously the show was fine with the idea of having Drew and Jason on the canvas together. Maybe Drew would end up “losing” Carly, but ultimately no big loss.

They said that about Billy Miller too, but most of us knew he was toast (even if it took a little bit). Steve Burton is the biggest name at GH, has been for decades and they will always kowtow to him even in the face of repeated bad behavior. CM has no viewer cachet at GH by comparison. And I say that as someone who hates Steve Burton.

• Love 7

I was glad to see Avery and even more happy that talking to her was a major plot point of this attack. Despite the villainous writing for Nikolas right now (which is the typical mustache-twirling red herring dialogue for a whodunit), it was sweet to hear her want to see "Daddy Nikolas.") 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Apparently Wiley was sleeping at the main house so Michael and Willow could have the "night off."  Which seems like it happens every other night, but such is the life of a PC parent.

why couldn't the nanny stay with Wiley at the Gate House?  Why did the nanny need Joss' help earlier?  Sounds like a pretty inept nanny.....

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I'm too lazy to go back and quote all the pertinent quotes, so will just say the latest with SheBeast and Drew is just convenientinitis, as @jsbt has also laid out. And because Frank and his hacks clearly forgot or don't care that when Burton returned and Miller's "Jason" was revealed to not be JAYSUS, he was shit that SheBeast scraped off her shoes, because he WASN'T Jason. And didn't have anything to do with him during the rest of Miller's run. 

How Frank was ever considered a successful show runner over at One Life To Live, I'll never understand. He's done nothing but ruin long standing characters who have history with THIS show, just so the actors and characters he and his hacks bring in can be showcased. The Exception being SheBEAST. She deserves to LOSE and LOSE BIG. But noooo. Can't have that. Why, it would be mean that there are consequences. God, I miss Monty, Labine, and yes, early Guzasshole.

• Applause 4
  • Love 6
On 8/29/2022 at 4:37 PM, ciarra said:

I'm going to call it a baling hook for hay, it's not a fishing hook.hayhookmain-669x563.jpg

Thank you! Been meaning to add this for the past few days. Those hooks are great to pick up & move straw & hay bales.

So...was someone hiding in the stables & grabbed one?? Hmmm...who could it be?? 😱

I know you Carly: you are a vindictive hypocritical shrew.
Drewfus said it out loud and it still sounds dumb. Sonny came back different, and Carly didn't take the time to know this Sonny. she wanted murdering mobster Sonny, and she and her equally vindictive hypocritical shrewy children wanted Sonny to murder Nina, so they could "move on." that didn't happen and they all split.  that says more on Carly (and Drewfus) than anyone else.

What different priorities? SONNY WANTED TO JUST FORGET NIXON FALLS AND MOVE ON WITH CARLY!! holy crap. these two disgust me

Carly can't even own up for the fact that everyone told her not to invest. 

but i like this convo though fundamentally.  of course Drewfus is pushing her.

Sasha: when did you stop believing in me?
Me: probably when you started taking drugs and lied to him?

Sheffield said too much. I think Anna finally clued in

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 6

"If anyone knows themself Carly, it's you." Lightning needs to strike Drew too (and not just for the bad grammar).

The Carly/Drewfus convo was a pure waste of my time.  Such bs that Carly dosn't know ho she is without Sonny and Jason considering the number of times she's been with and married other men. Carly needs therapy as much as Sasha does but narcissists often don't benefit from it.

How stupid it was to not prepare Sasha for the meeting. No wonder she ran out. They're already treating her like a child.

Jordan seems super incompetent today.

23 hours ago, Blackie said:

(I am presuming they are using a high back booster which is basically "the car seat" as it is much safer than those things that look like little stools that people move from car to car

20 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Ava and Grace Scarola play Avery and they are 8 yrs old.  

I didn't think of the high back booster seats because 8 is the age in New York where a child doesn't need a booster seat any more (7 in Australia) and the kids I know are eager to get out of the high back car seats as soon as they can and into something more comfortable.  As well, if Sonny takes Carly's car, it's going to have Donna's seat as well so she can't take Donna, who seems to have a sleeping sickness disorder, anywhere unless the invisible nanny has a second car and a second set of car seats.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Jordan seems super incompetent today.

As opposed to the other day when she was "investigating" the burner phone? The whole "interrogating" Spencer because of something a Q staff saw only for her to say that she knows he was throwing up was top notch detective work. Go home, Jordan. 

The whole Drew/Carly was . . . yeah. 

The only person who genuinely cared about Ava was Trina. I know Nina is around somewhere. I'm having a very hard time believing that Nikolas loves his wife at all. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

The Carly/Drewfus convo was a pure waste of my time.  Such bs that Carly dosn't know ho she is without Sonny and Jason considering the number of times she's been with and married other men. Carly needs therapy as much as Sasha does but narcissists often don't benefit from it.

I don’t think Carly is capable of self reflection but I do think she had a major Jason obsession from the moment she met him. Even when she wasn’t with him romantically, which was most of the time, she was obsessed with him and wanted to be the center of his world. Even when he “died”, she fell for Franco because he was thought to be Jason’s twin (repeated pattern?). 

Now Sonny, not so much. Even when they were together for the most part, they were pretty much just co-existing and she moved on from his death pretty easily. I don’t think she defined herself by Sonny other than using his name and money to threaten and belittle others. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I think that the Drew-Carly scenes were meant to underscore that Carly is keeping the Nina secret from him, and he "senses" that's why she's holding back. That seemed to be the case when Olivia (I think) asked what was holding her back, and Carly flashed on lying to Drew about the maternity test results. Bobbi is in the previews with her for tomorrow, so maybe there will be more clarity on this. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I think that the Drew-Carly scenes were meant to underscore that Carly is keeping the Nina secret from him, and he "senses" that's why she's holding back. That seemed to be the case when Olivia (I think) asked what was holding her back, and Carly flashed on lying to Drew about the maternity test results. Bobbi is in the previews with her for tomorrow, so maybe there will be more clarity on this. 

I’m sure that’s their “angst” but a secret that doesn’t impact either one of them hardly qualifies. Drew isn’t close to Nina or Willow so why would he truly care? If it’s solely about Carly being dishonest, doesn’t he still have Jason’s memories? He knows her history and that she’s a pathological liar. 

• Applause 8
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Behind the scenes

loos like Ava got the fondue treatment😄

1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Even when he “died”, she fell for Franco because he was thought to be Jason’s twin (repeated pattern?). 

So now to fall for Drew is just iccccckkkk!

• Applause 3
8 minutes ago, Blackie said:

So now to fall for Drew is just iccccckkkk!

the thing is i sort of see WHY Carly is thirsty for Drew.  

what i will never understand is why Drew is thirsty for Carly. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Even when he “died”, she fell for Franco because he was thought to be Jason’s twin (repeated pattern?). 

Carly has also sniffed around Drew before, which you'd think he'd remember and want to stay as far away from her as possible, but he's Drewfus. Completely worthless.

"There's taking time, and there's missing a chance." Oh, please, Drewfus, you'll wait for Carly for as long as she makes you wait. Drewfus's arguments sound like his biggest concern is getting laid as soon as possible.

Trina's two sentences to Nik about how might be responsible for Ava's hooking were smarter than Jordan's entire investigation.

Wow, Brando sucks for sandbagging Sasha like that with the guardianship. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

"There's taking time, and there's missing a chance." Oh, please, Drewfus, you'll wait for Carly for as long as she makes you wait. Drewfus's arguments sound like his biggest concern is getting laid as soon as possible.

It really did--like he could've been saying that line to some random in a bar at last call. 

• LOL 1
46 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Wow, Brando sucks for sandbagging Sasha like that with the guardianship. 

I hadn't even realized that Brando and Sasha were on today. Do these writers hate women this much? 

Elizabeth is having mental issues, Sasha is having mental issues and instead of the men in their lives just being there, for some reason, they think they know better. 

I'd say the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

Also, why are they writing these two stories at the same time.

Unless you're like me and don't notice half the stuff going on, in which case carry on, otherwise, it's pretty depressing and irritating.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

Drew tongue bathing Carly about how she loved Sonny with her WHOLE HEART and is the real victim in everything. Carly: I feel like I've been screaming that and no one noticed. It's nice to get credit for that. 

Oh. My. Gawd!!!!

• Mind Blown 5
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

God, I miss Monty, Labine, and yes, early Guzasshole.

Guza was good when he had a strong Executive Producer. Unfortunately, his later run was under the oversight of Jill Farren Phelps, who didn't really get GH to begin with and became increasingly powerless as Brian Frons (who did not get, and did not care to get, soaps or soap fandom at all) became more and more meddlesome with the shows.

The behind the scenes figure I really miss is Wendy Riche. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I think that the Drew-Carly scenes were meant to underscore that Carly is keeping the Nina secret from him, and he "senses" that's why she's holding back.

I wish! But this Drew would only support her that she did the right thing. He is so blind, he can't see any flaws in her.

19 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Carly: I feel like I've been screaming that and no one noticed.

I noticed. But I didn't believe you and I don't care.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

This week has actually been pretty enjoyable soapyness but today just had some weird scenes. Trina telling Ava she regrets so much (like what??). Spencer pulling away from her and saying he’s not her problem anymore (when was he?). And although I didn’t understand it I did love Trina being all accusatory with Nikolas. She’s watched Law & Order and knows it’s always the husband (and it sure seemed like it was about to be the husband with a pillow if she hadn’t walked in). I finally saw chemistry between this Trina and Spencer and I want more than a small crumb of a scene of them together please. 

Joss flirting with Dex like she forgot she has a boyfriend is very Carly’s daughter. And everyone praising them for not letting Ava bleed out on the Q deck, barf. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
4 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I’m sure that’s their “angst” but a secret that doesn’t impact either one of them hardly qualifies. Drew isn’t close to Nina or Willow so why would he truly care? If it’s solely about Carly being dishonest, doesn’t he still have Jason’s memories? He knows her history and that she’s a pathological liar. 

Granted, it's not a secret that will hurt him, but he might disapprove. Part of her knows it's not the right thing to do.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Elizabeth is having mental issues, Sasha is having mental issues

And Portia is freaking out over Hatman's bio connection to Trina. 

Drew needs to die.  (Just throwing that out there.)

As for Nelle, I'm assuming this is a short stint and she won't be a bone marrow donor for Willow because they're saving that for Nina, months down the line.

Edited by ciarra
  • Like 5
5 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

How can they bring her back other than for flashbacks or as a ghost? Whose body was recovered and buried if not Nelle's? If she's miraculously alive but the role is a short stint will she be killed off again? This show.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BunnyFooFoo said:

How can they bring her back other than for flashbacks or as a ghost? Whose body was recovered and buried if not Nelle's? If she's miraculously alive but the role is a short stint will she be killed off again? This show.

Did Chase ever identify the body that was recovered from the river on the Pennsylvania side?

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, Semiglued said:

Joss flirting with Dex like she forgot she has a boyfriend is very Carly’s daughter. And everyone praising them for not letting Ava bleed out on the Q deck, barf. 

I loved the moment where Joss paused after she told Dex she had a boyfriend, like she was waiting for him to have a breakdown.  Any chance of liking Dex went out the window he went starry eyed over such an obnoxious twat.

I also loved the minute Anna realized that Victor's behind Charlotte's staying at the equestrian school--she's such a good detective :)  Don't care one iota about Lucy and her angst over "Marty"--they are two unscrupulous characters who have zero problem hurting people in the name of business, so watching Anna manipulate them to uncover Victor's unsavory dealings doesn't bother me in the least.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Semiglued said:

And everyone praising them for not letting Ava bleed out on the Q deck, barf. 

Yes, what amazing humanitarians. Good grief.

44 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

watching Anna manipulate them to uncover Victor's unsavory dealings doesn't bother me in the least

It's annoying that supposed super spy Anna Devane can't do this on her own. Victor isn't that cagey. But it gets Lynn Herring onscreen, so there's that.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

And everyone praising them for not letting Ava bleed out on the Q deck, barf. 

This.  Plus Joss' stupid line to Carly about how Ava was so scared, like she was shocked that Ava, who'd been gored in the gut and was literally bleeding to death, would have an emotion like terror.  Shut up Joss.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, nilyank said:

Did Chase ever identify the body that was recovered from the river on the Pennsylvania side?

I looked up YT clips in case I wasn't remembering correctly. In September 2020 Chase walks up to Millow in GH and says Janelle's body has been found. There's been a positive ID. I'm heading over to the morgue now to confirm.

You would think that if Chase didn't confirm he'd say something to someone, right? To anyone? Chase had been involved with her, he should know if it's her or not. This show. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 8/31/2022 at 10:17 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm too lazy to go back and quote all the pertinent quotes, so will just say the latest with SheBeast and Drew is just convenientinitis, as @jsbt has also laid out. And because Frank and his hacks clearly forgot or don't care that when Burton returned and Miller's "Jason" was revealed to not be JAYSUS, he was shit that SheBeast scraped off her shoes, because he WASN'T Jason. And didn't have anything to do with him during the rest of Miller's run. 

This is why the relationships have no depth. Rivals are created for the flimsiest of excuses, relationships happen off screen, even when they first meet. History the audience witnessed is never acknowledged, even when he was show runner. Brook Lynne should have huge problems with Carly because she "hired her" to get back at Lulu, causing the rift, even when she exposed Carly to Lulu because of BL's guilt. Lulu shouldn't demised what Carly tried to do to her relationship with Dante because of Michael going to prison over Claudia. And Drew should be wary as to why Carly is relying on him so heavily. Nothing is nuanced, and the audience has no reason to care. 

How Frank was ever considered a successful show runner over at One Life To Live, I'll never understand. He's done nothing but ruin long standing characters who have history with THIS show, just so the actors and characters he and his hacks bring in can be showcased. The Exception being SheBEAST. She deserves to LOSE and LOSE BIG. But noooo. Can't have that. Why, it would be mean that there are consequences. God, I miss Monty, Labine, and yes, early Guzasshole.

I think with OLTL, Frank worked himself up through the ranks so he had more respect for the history. While I had a lot of problems with OLTL (like his penchant for making everyone related) and the show wasn't my cup of tea, it, not GH, deserved to stay on. However, when I found out he was coming on as showrunner, I had my doubts and unfortunately, have been vindicated. It was a bad sign a lot of GH writers and crew (who had the Herculean job of making the GH palatable during JFP/Guza era) were let go in favor of his people, who have proved not be as good as JFP/Guza staff writers.

13 hours ago, Steph J said:

Guza was good when he had a strong Executive Producer. Unfortunately, his later run was under the oversight of Jill Farren Phelps, who didn't really get GH to begin with and became increasingly powerless as Brian Frons (who did not get, and did not care to get, soaps or soap fandom at all) became more and more meddlesome with the shows.

The behind the scenes figure I really miss is Wendy Riche. 

Wendy was awful to Genie Francis when she shouldn't have been, but she could keep Guza in check. I think her oversee the Labine era gave her cache. 

• Love 1
On 8/30/2022 at 5:48 PM, jsbt said:

They really squandered a decent intro of Cameron Mathison as Drew. The character is frankly still so elastic and such a blank slate that you can still fix him and do good things with him and CM, but just using him as "smiling Jason stand-in" with Carly, etc. is the worst possible option. And it's so demeaning since you know the instant they're able to hire Steve back (who should be verboten at this point) out CM will go.

This is the problem I have with it too.  I like the character of Drew and I like CM.  But the way they’ve been using him since returning to PC is just so smurfy and frankly embarrassing.  CM is capable of playing a more developed character, he doesn’t just need to mill around being everyone’s life coach and looking pretty.  After being held prisoner for years we are just expected to believe he’s a-ok now??  It’s silly.  He should have some lasting effects that would make for an interesting story.  Also I would have liked to see him paired with Britt, she would be more intellectually stimulating and challenging for him.  Instead, she’s saddled with Cody, a completely unnecessary character, and he gets to be nothing more than a Carly prop.  Just a waste all around.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

Instead, she’s saddled with Cody, a completely unnecessary character,

Josh Kelly should have been a Lucky recast. I remain deeply annoyed at how this show squanders its opportunities.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Applause 3
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Daisy said:

the thing is i sort of see WHY Carly is thirsty for Drew.  

what i will never understand is why Drew is thirsty for Carly. 

This!  I mean I can totally see what she sees in him…he’s supportive (to a fault) and he’s hot!!  But yeah….what does he see in her??  Maybe a great hair fetish??

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I’ve never gotten the hype with LW’s hair. I’m sure I’m missing something. She has a lot of it but the color and hairstyles have been terrible for the past 5 years and it looks dry and over processed to me. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

After being held prisoner for years we are just expected to believe he’s a-ok now??  It’s silly.

Silly is the show's middle name, along with other few choice words I can think of.

They didn't even send Drew to Kevin to deprogram him like they did with Dante. Whatever storyline they were planning with him and Victor has either been dropped or as usual, the writers are taking their sweet time to finally get ton with it.

But the avenue they've chosen for him while they decide what his future storyline should be is just so bad. Pompoms waving Drew is just obnoxious. Add Carly and Michael to the mix and it just smells bad.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Whatever storyline they were planning with him and Victor has either been dropped or as usual, the writers are taking their sweet time to finally get ton with it.

Omg, I had totally forgotten about that! But then, so apparently have the writers.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BunnyFooFoo said:

I looked up YT clips in case I wasn't remembering correctly. In September 2020 Chase walks up to Millow in GH and says Janelle's body has been found. There's been a positive ID. I'm heading over to the morgue now to confirm.

You would think that if Chase didn't confirm he'd say something to someone, right? To anyone? Chase had been involved with her, he should know if it's her or not. This show. 

I honestly don't remember him saying that he did in fact confirm that it was Nelle. We saw him keep telling people he was going to go identify her himself, but we didn't see him do it. Next thing you know, he's getting food at the Floating Rib and breaking up the Valentin and Ned fight. Then Nina had her buried later, and we don't know if she saw her body beforehand. I mean she did fall off a cliff. Her face might have been unrecognizable, although that was never mentioned. So I think all that left it open for her to come back. You know how shows are. Lol

Edited by pinkandsparkly13
Typo

Bobbie: Jason never would abandon you, even if you deserved it.
Me: that's why Jason sucked. 
flashback to Carly hiding the fact for 4 months  now that Willow is Nina's daughter. and Bobbie points out that Drew might not deal well with Carly's bs. 

Drew already wants a future? fool, shut your mouth.

Nik that spin was so thin, it's transparent.

Either poop or get off the pot, Sheffield. i need to know what is coming and why you are beig all twirly mustache.

Anna and Val finally come clean and this is good. 

I can't with this Jordan. I really can't.

I am usually team #longhair - but Maura should cut it. 

Drewfus and Curtis annoy me.

• Love 6