Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Just now, perkie1968 said:

Amy's a bitch.  Having Chet move to Chicago so he has to break up with Terri is all kinds of why are you such a bitch.

I was just about to say that Amy is vile. All of that because she doesn't really like her boss, so she takes his one chance at happiness and feeling whole. 

Also, those fake eyelashes they glued to her eyes were incredibly bad. Her eyes looked like they needed a trim.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Sigh. I know this is spoiled and entitled of me, but the very reason the show was pre-empted today here in the U.S. is exactly why I was looking for a distraction.

I don't think it's spoiled or entitled at all. that's why we watch teevee (and mostly watch soaps in particular). 

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I just have a feeling that most of these incidents -- especially the life-threatening ones -- were not done by her. 

I’m starting to think that too.  It’s all just too neat.

No show for me today either but looking forward to tomorrow and actually seeing the looks on Carly and Co. faces when Sonny admits he didn’t want to know who he was.  That’s going to be priceless.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Sigh. I know this is spoiled and entitled of me, but the very reason the show was pre-empted today here in the U.S. is exactly why I was looking for a distraction.

No I think that’s a perfectly normal thing to feel right now.  That’s why I’m here right now, taking a break from reality with my (virtual) people.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

Claudia's murder is an odd choice since it might actually make Michael seem sympathetic, seeing as he did it in defence of Carly and newborn Josslyn. 

Isn't it the one solid thing that Michael has done that Scott can point to? I mean, he can't say "Didn't you bribe the Pennsylvania DA to charge Nina with identity theft so that  you could get revenge on her?"

If Michael could move beyond that, why couldn't Nina?

1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

I'm really, really, really, really hoping he doesn't want them moving out because he is playing Esme and won't be able to if they're not under his roof. 

That would be nice. But I don't think so. He's blowing this so bad already.

• Love 1

Just how big is Spencer's trust fund that he can get $10,000 a week and (I'm assuming) still have money in it several years from now?

I'm kind of hoping this will be like the custody trial for Georgie and the judge will determine that neither side deserves custody of Wylie because they have all done such awful things. And then we never have to hear of Wylie again.

I suspect Carly will get the DNA results and announce to the court that Willow is Nina's daughter - and neglect to mention the fact that she was a twin. Nina then won't get visitation because the assumption will be that Nelle was not her daughter, so Wylie isn't her grandson.

Honestly, when my kid was born it never occurred to me that grandparent were supposed to be role models. They are grandparents. Also - I flippin' hate the name Wylie.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Just how big is Spencer's trust fund that he can get $10,000 a week and (I'm assuming) still have money in it several years from now?

They play fast and loose with Cassadine money. They were broke before Nik “died” until Valentin took over the company and improved things. They also went broke 1 other time in the early 2000s. But Spencer somehow has millions waiting for him?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I mean, he can't say "Didn't you bribe the Pennsylvania DA to charge Nina with identity theft so that  you could get revenge on her?"

Why not? Michael might have lost, but if they're bringing up prior acts, that is certainly one of them. It shows Michael isn't thinking about what's best for the stupid kid but what's best for him, i.e., making Nina pay for lying about Sonny. 

It kind of cracks me up that Sonny is fine with Nina not telling anyone about him in Nixon Falls (typical Sonny) and everyone else is up in arms. If the "victim" has no problem, why does everyone else? (Rhetorical.)

12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

That would be nice. But I don't think so. He's blowing this so bad already.

Nik is historically a bad schemer, because he thinks he's cleverer than he is and he thinks with his dick too often. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

No one other than Michael and the DA know that Michael bribed him. To everyone else, it was a "campaign contribution from ELQ", another reason why Michael shouldn't be able to have any say in running the company if he's willing to use company money for his personal vendettas like that.

3 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It kind of cracks me up that Sonny is fine with Nina not telling anyone about him in Nixon Falls (typical Sonny) and everyone else is up in arms. If the "victim" has no problem, why does everyone else? (Rhetorical.)

The family! The family!  Carly mourned the whole time and was almost killed trying to keep Sonny's (illegal mob) business intact! Poor Wylie didn't have his grandfather, something that he has absolutely no memory of. (Never mind that he lost his father Lucas and no one cared.) And poor Donna thought that Jason was her daddy.

I'm sure that if it wasn't a stick to bludgeon Nina with, everyone would be totes okay with it.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

But Spencer somehow has millions waiting for him?

Depending on how the trust was set up, this could be true. I find this believable financial pretzeling that the show does with everyone's money.

6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

No one other than Michael and the DA know that Michael bribed him. To everyone else, it was a "campaign contribution from ELQ", another reason why Michael shouldn't be able to have any say in running the company if he's willing to use company money for his personal vendettas like that.

Scott should ask about that: "Why did ELQ make a campaign contribution to an out-of-state DA race? Was it connected to the lawsuit the Llantano County DA pressed against Nina?"

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

For those in the US with DVRs, make sure it’s catching the episode tomorrow since it might seen it as a repeat. You might want to set it manually just in case

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

Well, firstly, Spencer inherited all the money Courtney inherited from that dog lady, minus whatever she actually used for "My Foundation".  Plus, anything Nikolas put in trust for him would have been outside the whole "we poor" situation, cause it was held in trust, so not part of the assets.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Well, firstly, Spencer inherited all the money Courtney inherited from that dog lady, minus whatever she actually used for "My Foundation".  Plus, anything Nikolas put in trust for him would have been outside the whole "we poor" situation, cause it was held in trust, so not part of the assets.

I thought that bitch put all of that money into her non profit? I would love it if it finally came out that Courtney was partially responsible for Zander setting the Port Charles Hotel on fire and the old lady's family successfully sues her foundation since Courtney was the reason the old lady had to evacuate the hotel in the first place. Nothing against Spencer, I just want Courtney be revealed for the bitch that she was. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I just want Courtney be revealed for the bitch that she was.

Good luck with that. Courtney has reached sainthood status and nothing will ever tarnish that unearned halo.

• Love 4
On 5/23/2022 at 7:38 PM, Daisy said:

Work. which is more than what Michael does. 

(honestly probably just business man stuff). 

Valentin is CEO, so Ned is likely COO or CFO, depending on the executive structure of the company.  Which makes sense.  I never understood how a twenty something with no experience and is an ex con would ever be accepted as CEO of a multinational corporation.  I’m pretty sure they’ve said that there is a non voting class of common stock in addition to the voting shares held by the Q family.  Even without voting rights, that stock would likely have gone into a free fall when unqualified SLS took charge.  Which in the real world would bring shareholder lawsuits and an SEC investigation.

the assholes that writes show should really watch something,Ike ‘Succession’ on HBO.  At least they get this stuff mostly right. Or maybe they’re crowd sourcing the scriptS to high school creative writing classes.

• Love 3
On 5/24/2022 at 9:39 AM, KittyQ said:

Catching up on yesterday - just from the first half hour:

I had to laugh at GH patient treatment. It must be the only hospital around where they have to beg patients (Liz) to stay put. Everywhere I've been in the past few years, they can't wait for you to leave. :-)

Speaking of Liz - on the one hand, she says she's fine and wants to go home; on the other hand, she openly worries that she's "losing her mind". So why brush off the psychiatrist who is in the best position to try to help you? She may not need to stay in bed in the hospital, but she should be having a more in-depth meeting with Kevin as well as her other doctors to track down the problem. 

Ned, remember, even paranoids can have real enemies. Trust me, Michael and Drew are not your friends, and even BrookLyn seems not to be on his side. 

Looks like Dante has bought the story that Wiley was somehow irreparably "hurt" by Sonny being kept from his family (also known as Sonny refusing to hear about his past for X months).

Michael seems to have no idea how to NOT confront people. 

He lies to sucker punch people too.  People who are at a noticeable physical disadvantage to him.  Namely Scott, who is circa 70 years old, and reporter Smolt, who is a full head shorter and built like an anorexic elf.  It would be entertaining if he did that with say, Valentin.  Who would proceed to savagely beat him.  

am I the only one who wants to see that?

• Love 11
(edited)

I'm not really a fan of nuTrina's long braids, she is so petite I find they are too heavy looking for her. How she had her braids styled today was very attractive + her make-up+ her hot pink blouse she looked stunning!! I thought the scenes were good with her and officer Hottie.

Sonny on the stand was good. Willow is going to give herself permanent bitch face.

Edited by Blackie
spelling
  • Love 5
On 5/24/2022 at 8:18 AM, Cheyanne11 said:

I was hoping someone would pick up what I was putting down, lol.

And yet Ned has "NO MEDIA EXPERIENCE" and therefore can't run the proposed newly merged Aurora/ELQ.  Sure,  show, sure.

Aurora should already have a full staff of people that have lots of media experience.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/24/2022 at 1:23 PM, mostlylurking said:

Lol at Gregory telling Violet to go play on her own and then giving her a frisbee!  That’s not exactly a solo activity, heh.

It’s weird that Liz is all ready to get shipped off somewhere for whatever is wrong with her.  She doesn’t even know what that is yet!  Is it her sleeping meds?  Some sort of psychotic break?  You’d think she’d want to get a handle on what was actually going on so she could figure out where exactly she could get the right treatment.

I enjoyed all the Ashford family scenes. 

She’s going to Shadybrook, where Ryan is currently.  So maybe they’re gong to insert her into his shenanigans.

Edited by Suicidy
  • Useful 2
(edited)

If Liz ends up running in to Ryan at Shadybrook, then my theory that he is behind the stalking as revenge against Liz and Finn for the kidney heist may not be dead yet.

Edited by Grinaldi
  • Useful 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Suicidy said:

She’s going to Shadybrook, where Ryan is currently.  So maybe they’re gong to misery her into his shenanigans.

Ryan is at a minimum security prison -- I think it's called Spring Ridge? Shady Brook is the psychiatric institution. The show has a lot of prisons and asylums, though! 

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6
32 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Ryan is at a minimum security prison

I know they have to facilitate Ryan being able to interact with other characters, but REALLY. Ryan Chamberlain belongs in supermax if anyone does. Sometimes (often) this show's logic breaks my brain.

• Love 6

Scott has so much ammunition to use. Put Carly on stand ask about Michaels birth and amount of father's he had. Put Willow on there and ask why her mother was allowed access to Wiley. Ask Michael about all the shady he has done, like bribery. 

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Really, all that should be asked is why is Nina being held to a different standard than everyone else in that kids life. end of story.

Michael and Willow are Wiley's parents and they don't like Nina. As his parents, they get to choose who they want to interact with their son. They allowed Nina to interact with Wiley twice when there was no real evidence that she was Nelle's mother (and Wiley's grandmother) except for a stupid necklace. 

Nina did not have a pre-existing relationship with Wylie. She disappeared from town when she broke the only request that Michael and Willow asked (talking about Nelle). When she was allowed to see Wylie again (after Jax's blackmail), she spent a few times with Wylie and went back to the emptiest bar in the world for a few more months. She had other priorities besides establishing a real relationship with her so-called grandson.

I don't care if Nina's mother hated her so much that she drugged her, caused her to go into a 20 year coma, gave away one or two daughters to whatever criminal was around, was told that she could never have any more babies, was thwarted from adopting/getting a surrogate because she stole Avery straight from the womb, that her husband faked Sasha being daughter and she never got a chance to play mommy to  psychotic Nelle.

Nina was brought on the show to give a backstory to one of Michael Easton's many characters who is longer around and because the show signed MS when she had left Y&R.

Whatever empathy that I had for her died before the recast.

I don't find her sympathetic. I didn't believe any of apologies. I still want someone to lock her in Ferncliff or any of the other mental hospitals in Port Charles for uttering the stupid line of all stupid lines that she felt the purest love in the world with Sonny. Over Sonny? Sonny???

I only bad things to happen to Nina. Over and over again. 

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I only bad things to happen to Nina. Over and over again. 

and that's fair and you are allowed to not like whomever you want nor believe her or anything like that. No one really is asking you too.  it doesn't change the fact that Michael and Willow are using that kid of theirs as a weapon. I called Carly on it when she did, I'm going to call out Michael and Willow when they do it and if others on the show do it, I'll do the same thing. 

since this isn't the first time you've listed what you've posted, and I know i've replied to it  why i think that's not really the case i'll leave it there.

• Love 19
6 hours ago, nilyank said:

Nina was brought on the show to give a backstory

Strains credulity that a soap opera is spending so much time on whether or not a grandmother can visit her toddler grandkid.  Not very compelling television in any genre.  Not caught up - have they showed Wiley coughing or with a fever yet?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

I flippin' hate the name Wylie.

You can blame Lucas and Brad for that.  They named him that because it had taken "awhile" to adopt a baby.  

14 hours ago, dubbel zout said:
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

mean, he can't say "Didn't you bribe the Pennsylvania DA to charge Nina with identity theft so that  you could get revenge on her?"

Why not? Michael might have lost, but if they're bringing up prior acts, that is certainly one of them.

But I don't think Scotty knows about that.  

12 hours ago, Suicidy said:

She’s going to Shadybrook, where Ryan is currently.

Nope.  Ryan is at Springeridge where Alexis and Spencer were.  Liz is going to Shadybrook where she's been once before and where Laura spent most of the aughts in.  

12 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Aurora should already have a full staff of people that have lots of media experience.

Well, they certainly have enough people to have an entire softball team.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, nilyank said:

Michael and Willow are Wiley's parents and they don't like Nina. As his parents, they get to choose who they want to interact with their son.

As much as I can’t stand these two, because of my own personal history I definitely agree with this statement in real life. I hate that someone other than the child’s parents can sue for any type of visitation with the child against the parents wishes. The only way I can see this being ok is if the parents are abusive or neglectful. And believe me I REALLY dislike Michael and Willow, but I wouldn’t put them in that category.  That said, this isn’t reality so if it’s soapy I’m ok with it. Just the fact that Sonny got up on the stand and said he didn’t want to find out who he was BEFORE Nina even came on the scene makes this whole story worth it for me. 

48 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:
15 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

I flippin' hate the name Wylie.

You can blame Lucas and Brad for that.  They named him that because it had taken "awhile" to adopt a baby.  

I hate it too!  I think of Wylie Coyote. Lol. Is that really why they named him Wylie?!

• Love 1
(edited)

My show got interrupted just now but. . . . 

I really like Trina and Rory. Those two have good chemistry, IMO. I hope we see where they go. Trina better go to the pool with him! LOL! 

I like that Sonny was admitting to liking his NF life and not wanting to know his true identity. It really cuts against this idea that Nina was holding him hostage like Carly and her moronic son keep spouting! Sonny did what he wanted. Him knowing his identity may still have not pushed him to go to that family. 

I muted Amy/Chet. 

I hate what they are doing to Nikolas. The show stopped but we all know why Esme stayed behind. Ugh. Why? Why are they trying to ruin him? And for Esme? What is happening? Glad I didn’t have to mute that. Now, I can watch the scenes I like on YT and skip that mess entirely!

The Britt/Terri scenes looked like they might be good. 

Edited by lala2
  • Love 2

Cultural ideas about children vary. For a long time in Anglo-Saxon culture as in some others, children were considered the possession of the parents. (Women were considered the possession of their husbands.) In other cultures, children belong to the family or tribe at large.

If Wylie were being treated better by the Carly clan and his interests put first, I can see the argument for making Michael and Willow the ones to determine who he gets to see. But he's being weaponized to hate Nina and anyone else Michael doesn't like. He's being taught to judge and hate not based on the person but on the distortions the adults are saying and his maternal family. It's not physical abuse but it is abuse.

14 hours ago, nilyank said:

When she was allowed to see Wylie again (after Jax's blackmail), she spent a few times with Wylie and went back to the emptiest bar in the world for a few more months

Because Sonny called her that Lennie was sick and he and Phyllis needed her. She thought that she would help them and then go back to Wylie.

• Love 12
(edited)

Britt (to Nikolas): Don't come back here unless you're injured or dying...hope to see you soon!

tumblr_n5hg6e4tPz1sopfhpo1_400.gif

Gawd that was great. 

And F off, Nikolas.  How many friends do you have?  When's the last time we even saw him talk to Liz?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 12

Amy’s reaction to Chet/Terry dating is extreme if the only reason she doesn’t approve is because Terry is a strict boss. Conspiring to get him out of town is a bit much. Amy’s also very annoying overall. I don’t know who asked for more of her because I’ve hated pretty much everything they’ve featured her in starting with that terrible Man Landers SL. 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I hate it too!  I think of Wylie Coyote. Lol. Is that really why they named him Wylie?!

In retrospect, though, I'm glad I didn't get my wish to see Lucas name his son after the deceased Tony.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

It's actually (according to my closed captioning) spelled Wiley. But others here spell as Wylie, which is how Wylie Coyote, that bumbling fool of a wolf, spelled his name.

• LOL 1
19 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Because Sonny called her that Lennie was sick and he and Phyllis needed her. She thought that she would help them and then go back to Wylie.

and as we commented on this before - Nina wants the right to see her grandkid. she doesn't want custody. she has a life. she's allowed to go visit people not spend every waking moment with Wiley to prove anything. (just like Carly isn't with that kid every waking moment either). 

2 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Amy’s reaction to Chet/Terry dating is extreme if the only reason she doesn’t approve is because Terry is a strict boss. Conspiring to get him out of town is a bit much. Amy’s also very annoying overall. I don’t know who asked for more of her because I’ve hated pretty much everything they’ve featured her in starting with that terrible Man Landers SL. 

she needs a slap. 

21 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

He's being taught to judge and hate not based on the person but on the distortions the adults are saying and his maternal family. It's not physical abuse but it is abuse.

that's what's bothering me. it's the constant "We'll tell Wiley EXACTLY what we think about you so he'll hate you too." narrative that is pissing me off. and again. i'm not even saying they don't have the right to hate Nina. They do. hate her all the want. Willlow hates her because she's a lemming though but whatever that's her right. what they don't have the right to do is warp a kid's view about their family because they hate them. That's a decision Wiley should make for himself. And the fact that Michael lived that and knows the consequences and is doing it anyway is why it's wrong. [which is WHY i am surprised that Monica hasn't been called up. talk about THAT. you don't have to defend Nina, but talk about what it cost you and Alan for goodness sakes]. 

if they were just like when Wiley is 16 or whatever you can see him (or you know what we've ALL been screaming just have visitation rights), and just a promise that they'll talk about Nina in a fair way. I don't think nina would be so baulky, because up until Willow said there is no path period to see the kid, Nina was bending over backwards trying to work with those dipsticks. 

• Love 10

Leveraging access to Wiley is all Michael knows. Carly did it with Michael his entire childhood and we used to laugh because Michael wasn’t a gift either.  

• Love 14
Just now, ffwbe said:

Leveraging access to Wiley is all Michael knows. Carly did it with Michael his entire childhood and we used to laugh because Michael wasn’t a gift either.  

yeah LOL exactly. 

that's why i have to wonder where Monica is. they had access to Ned who could have easily have said the same thing. i mean Carly being clapped back with it was awesome but she shrugged it off. it being said by Michael's family who lived it might carry more weight (if not TO Michael, at least to Willow). Honestly, I am surprised that instead of going with the whole "Harmony snapped and killed people angle," that Scotty didn't go towards the whole "time is short, because Wiley just lost another grandmother angle,  so whoo knows what will happen in the future, spend time now bleh blah blue."

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I think Amy is awful and doesn't know her brother nearly as well as she thinks she does, nor does she respect him, or feel any sort of empathy for him.

Chett sounded two steps away from being depressed and three steps away from killing himself when he was talking about how lonely his life is and how he takes off because of it. 

The decision is his to make, but Amy is such a loser! Let's ruin my brother's relationship because I have a problem with his would-be girlfriend. Grow the fuck up! 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Daisy said:

it's the constant "We'll tell Wiley EXACTLY what we think about you so he'll hate you too." narrative that is pissing me off. and again.

In ten years when Wiley or Wylie or whatever his damn name is has gotten old enough to understand, how much of Grandma Carly's past will he hear about? Because that's killing me too, that they're acting like he's already mature enough to understand the difference between Willow and someone who isn't Willow being his mother, but don't seem at all concerned that he'll soak it up through osmosis the many, many, MANY stories of Carly destroying lives and marriages just because she felt like it. They don't even have the courage of their asshole convictions to make it unilateral.

• Love 13

Wow, Nik uses his contributions to GH to get Britt to violate HIPPA laws. What a shitbag. Good for Britt for not caving.

3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Cultural ideas about children vary. For a long time in Anglo-Saxon culture as in some others, children were considered the possession of the parents. (Women were considered the possession of their husbands.) In other cultures, children belong to the family or tribe at large.

Childhood as a concept didn't really exist for a very long time. Once kids were old enough, they were put to work in the home, field, factory, etc. 

5 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

The decision is his to make, but Amy is such a loser! Let's ruin my brother's relationship because I have a problem with his would-be girlfriend. Grow the fuck up! 

Am I supposed to be rooting for Amy? Because she SUCKS. If either of my brothers did to me what she did to Chet, they would not be a part of my life anymore. That is way over the line.

What a nonreaction from the Corinthii that Sonny didn't want to look for his family. I knew it would be Nina's fault alone, but it would be nice if they were at least a little shocked.

That pink on Trina looked amazing.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think Amy is awful and doesn't know her brother nearly as well as she thinks she does, nor does she respect him, or feel any sort of empathy for him.

Chett sounded two steps away from being depressed and three steps away from killing himself when he was talking about how lonely his life is and how he takes off because of it. 

The original Amy was a busy-body, but never mean.  That's how this Amy was introduced, but boy, has she changed.  And not for the better.  And I kinda liked the Man Landers story line.  Silly, but not cruel, like Amy has turned out to be.

• Love 3
On 5/25/2022 at 5:34 PM, Pingaponga said:

Honestly, when my kid was born it never occurred to me that grandparent were supposed to be role models. They are grandparents. Also - I flippin' hate the name Wylie.

When it comes to dealing with "restored" kids' names, GH definitely has an uneven track record.

Keeping Bailey over Louise? Good!

Changing to Rocco from Ben? Bad!

Changing to Spencer from John? Zippier!

Keeping Wylie over Jonah? Mixed! It would be ghoulish to go back to Jonah, but it's too bad.

Changing from PJ to Steven Lars? Girl, either way you lose.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2