Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

So whenever they solve this sex tape story it would seem that Esme is a gonna.  Granted the pacing of stories is slug speed and because of this somehow can she be redeemed enough to stay?

My girl Britt had a poor showing yesterday (excuse me, ma'am, but Jason absolutely was a hired killer, HE WAS A MOB HITMAN!) so it was good today saw her get some long overdue scenes with Spencer.  I loved her yoinking him, cool aunt-style, away from the scuffle with his friends and their mututal admiration for each other continues to be very sweet.  I do still want Britt to get eyes on Esme and clock the familiar scent of au de scheming brunette.

This thing with the dating service, though, is draaaaaging on for what I'm guessing will be no payoff.  Unless she ends up matched with Chris Ramsey or a secretly alive AJ, I don't care.

It's amazing how Joss can be on the right side defending Trina, but so hatable.  Eden McCoy's haughty line deliveries and how-dare-you head tilts are so annoying.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

This thing with the dating service, though, is draaaaaging on for what I'm guessing will be no payoff.  Unless she ends up matched with Chris Ramsey or a secretly alive AJ, I don't care.

Agree. Just realized it could be the new cute cop who may or may not have an agenda and that would be fun. 

I wish we would’ve found out the details of Ms. Wu’s blackmail, it would make me understand a bit more why she’s so willing to throw Brad under the bus.

So happy to see Anna, Robert and Valentin again although the latter seems to have fallen in a deep Victor hole. Like what could possibly be so urgent he needed to leave Anna and a good Bordeaux for?

• Love 2

Jordan playing CSI today was so very bad and the writers should be ashamed for treating their characters like this. 

Officer Newbie, what do you see? Marks around the neck you said, that look like they were left by someone's fingers? We have to wait for the autopsy to see whether it was suicide, an accident or a murder.

She shouldn't have said anything. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Agree. Just realized it could be the new cute cop who may or may not have an agenda and that would be fun. 

I still can’t tell if Officer Cute Cop is meant for Trina or someone in the Britt age range. He definitely seems too old for Trina but they have him sniffing around her for a reason. 

I actually liked Joss the other day when she said her loyalty was to Trina over everyone else. Of course it’s not true really but it was a nice moment. If only they could write her as now taking a backseat to let Trina decide how she feels about Spencer. If Trina is hurt because Cam is still buddy buddy with Spencer, okay. She would never make demands the way Joss does, which is part of why she’s a more likable character. But regardless it should be her feelings that come first. Joss always makes it about herself. 

Edited by racked
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

It's amazing how Joss can be on the right side defending Trina, but so hatable.  Eden McCoy's haughty line deliveries and how-dare-you head tilts are so annoying.

And the self-righteous tone is straight out of LW's handbook.  Like, we get it: you're JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER.  Ugh, insufferable.  #FreeCam

Hatman is an asshole.

That Val/Anna kiss was hot. 

Oh, great, so now Alexis is going to be a suspect in Brendan's death?  Swell.

Really liked the Britt/Spencer scenes.  More of that, please.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Daisy said:

Willow: OMG! first she wants you to talk to me to change my mind, now she wants you to be a character reference, is there no depths to this woman won't sink to?

Exactly how high is that horse Willow's been riding the last couple of days?

I eagerly look forward to how Michael will treat her once The Truth of Her Parentage comes out. 

11 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

That Val/Anna kiss was hot. 

Yeah, I know he's a bad boy, but he can stop by my house any time. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, racked said:

I still can’t tell if Officer Cute Cop is meant for Trina or someone in the Britt age range. He definitely seems too old for Trina but they have him sniffing around her for a reason. 

I think in street clothes, he doesn't look that much older than Trina (to me). In New York State, you can be as young as 21 to join the force. Which is maybe not a great idea IRL, but that's a topic for another forum....

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Willow about Nina: "How can anyone be so underhanded?"

Me: IDK, why don't you ask your husband, your husband's mother, your husband's father for starters?  They can explain it to you.

exactly my thoughts. 

all the woman wants is to see her grandkid, and she's doing it by the book since you dimwits won't let her. call me when she hangs you on a meathook. 

• Love 14

I can't wait for Willow to find out her mother she's planning aquarium dates with Wylie with is a cold blooded serial murderer.  But yes, Nina doesn't deserve to have any time with Wylie.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Artsda said:

I can't wait for Willow to find out her mother she's planning aquarium dates with Wylie with is a cold blooded serial murderer.  But yes, Nina doesn't deserve to have any time with Wylie.

'Course, with that in mind, she ought to be wary of leaving Nina alone with Michael. The only reason Wylie exists is because he's an idiot who had sex with a psychopath. He's likely to find that alluring.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, jacourt said:

So whenever they solve this sex tape story it would seem that Esme is a gonna.  Granted the pacing of stories is slug speed and because of this somehow can she be redeemed enough to stay?

I wouldn't say that.  Ava murdered Connie, but it didn't end Ava's presence in Port Charles.  In the 80's and 90's, a crime like that would have ended a character, usually with them going to jail, but not any more.  Esme can be redeemed -- providing she doesn't stab anyone in the neck with scissors -- if it's revealed she was influenced by Ryan.  Ryan murdering her adoptive parents would also go a long way to people forgiving her.

Edited to add:

CM, still boring.  Especially when he has to give Carly a tongue bath one day and Michael the next.

Edited by ciarra
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, jacourt said:

She don't gotta be redeemed to stick around.  Filming a sex tape is no biggie for a soap.

5 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

My girl Britt had a poor showing yesterday (excuse me, ma'am, but Jason absolutely was a hired killer, HE WAS A MOB HITMAN!) so it was good today saw her get some long overdue scenes with Spencer.

By "hired killer", they were probably referring to contractors paid by the job. Jason was a full-time employee and member of Sonny's organization.  A killer, sure, but not a killer-for-hire.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

She don't gotta be redeemed to stick around.  Filming a sex tape is no biggie for a soap.

Brenda passed nude pictures of Karen in high school and she became a beloved character on the show. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Brenda passed nude pictures of Karen in high school and she became a beloved character on the show. 

True, but Brenda wasn't introduced as a psycho character who liked to burn things and do whatever else Esme has done.

I miss the days when villains stayed fucking villains. Nowadays, it's how will such and such be redeemed? Oh! Let's now write this in so we can redeem them. I think, in recent years, Nelle is the only one who wasn't redeemed.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, rur said:

I eagerly look forward to how Michael will treat her once The Truth of Her Parentage comes out. 

It's not Willow's fault. The acid test will be if Willow decides to go Team Nina all the way and how Michael deals with that.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, ciarra said:

I wouldn't say that.  Ava murdered Connie, but it didn't end Ava's presence in Port Charles.  In the 80's and 90's, a crime like that would have ended a character, usually with them going to jail, but not any more.  Esme can be redeemed -- providing she doesn't stab anyone in the neck with scissors -- if it's revealed she was influenced by Ryan.  Ryan murdering her adoptive parents would also go a long way to people forgiving her.

Edited to add:

CM, still boring.  Especially when he has to give Carly a tongue bath one day and Michael the next.

It should have ended her. Ava being on the show was the last draw for me. All of these amoral sociopaths running around and then the show tries to "redeem," but they don't because Ava isn't sorry about killing Kate (I fucking refuse to call her Connie). It seems Maxie is the only one that holds Ava accountable, unlike Kate's worthless cousin Olivia. AJ showed more remorse when he thought he was the one that killed Kate. They never redeem a character, they just pile on bad shit happening to them, like Ava's cancer or Dr.O's and Ava's kids being killed.

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

True, but Brenda wasn't introduced as a psycho character who liked to burn things and do whatever else Esme has done.

I miss the days when villains stayed fucking villains. Nowadays, it's how will such and such be redeemed? Oh! Let's now write this in so we can redeem them. I think, in recent years, Nelle is the only one who wasn't redeemed.

Nelle was a better and more rootable character since they were straight up with her character. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 3

Why does Carly have to be in every storyline? Not only in Sonny's and Nina's and Michael and Willow's but there she is in Trina's and telling Sam what to do about Alexis.

And there Carly goes stomping into Alexis' home without being asked. I cannot believe that in any incarnation Carly gives two hoots about Alexis.

And now Carly is going to be the one to figure out Harmony's secret. HATE.

Esme: "I can cut and light a cigar for you." [Someone's been watching Gigi too much.]

Watching Esme play Nik is not fun.

I am really going to be pissed off if its Diane who represents Cameron and not his stepgrandfather Scott.

21 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I had a reaction to Marshall reading Drew essentially for filth. Dude assumes a lot about people he doesn't know.  

Marshall extrapolated but that was a very dirty trick on Drew's part. If Curtis want's to sneak around and dig up dirt on his father, fine but Drew should not have set up a fake job to help him. That white hat is gone.

20 hours ago, Daisy said:

In a way this would have been so much stronger if Cam didn't know that Spencer was playing Esme. - because quite frankly, just because you are mad at him doesn't mean your girlfriend has the right to dictate who/who can't work for her boyfriend.

Joss has no say in whether Spencer works at Kelly's. She doesn't own it (even if her grandmother does) and she doesn't work there.  The Corintii are all about loyalty -- as long as it's loyalty to someone on their side.  Anyone else you need to hate.

If Joss hadn't insisted that Cameron fire Spencer, Cameron and Spencer wouldn't have got into a fight and wouldn't be arrested. Like Willow with Michael, Cam has become Joss' handbag.

• Love 15

Nina, Michael's lawyer can put Sonny on the stand, so your threat to fire Scott if he does is pretty weak.

The PCPD is very arrest happy. What happened to writing citations for disorderly conduct? Hitting a cop is a little different.

What a boring episode.

• Love 3

I missed the whole Neil dying/being killed stuff…was Alexis still on the sauce at that time?  How in the world did she sleep through Harmony lurking around her bedroom?  Was Alexis drugged too?

Is it too much to hope that Nik is in on the Esme long con together with Spencer?  Because him falling for this damsel in distress act is just ridiculous.

I laughed at Sonny rolling his eyes at Laura chastising him.  She can’t be all chummy with him 90% of the time and now all of a sudden she’s all about the law and the justice system.   I mean come on, why would he take anything she says seriously?  

I don’t think Officer New Guy looks too old for Trina.  He looks about 22/23 and she’s 18/19.  Not too bad.

It does seem to me tptb don’t really know what they want to do with him, which is a theme lately.  Esme, Victor, the weather, Britt and the dating service, Curtis and Hat, DREW…..so many stories that could have potential but they are either taking way too long to develop or just dropped altogether.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I missed the whole Neil dying/being killed stuff…was Alexis still on the sauce at that time?  How in the world did she sleep through Harmony lurking around her bedroom?  Was Alexis drugged too?

Alexis didn’t start drinking again after Neil died. I guess we’re supposed to fanwank that they’re both exceptionally heavy sleepers since neither heard Harmony and even getting injected didn’t wake Neil up. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I guess we’re supposed to fanwank that they’re both exceptionally heavy sleepers since neither heard Harmony and even getting injected didn’t wake Neil up. 

I think Alexis must've taken a sleep aid called RECON-AVAN.

• LOL 13
  • Love 1

As asanine Spencers Plan is, at least I am entertain by Dumb and dumber trying to keep this from Trina. And I totally get why Soencer doesnt want Mini Snarly to know. Cause she would just screech about it to Esme.

Its funny that Joss hates that Spencer is getting walked over by Ezcema, but gets mad when Cam speaks his mind and it dorsnt align with her rants. Also, couldnt Rory just arrest Joss as well for disturbing the peace with her screeching? Honestly her loud rants are worse then a damn punch. At least pur ear drums font get blown out from it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Cheetara1986 said:

Spencer didnt want Cam to spill the beans on the an, so he said something bad about Joss. Cam punched him, then Spencer backhanded Officer Rory by accident

oh for God sakes. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Daisy said:

wait Cam got arrested?

Yup. I caught the last few minutes and assume Cam punched Spencer. Spencer then hit Rory so he was arrested as well. I will have to go back and watch all those scenes. 

From what I saw - I liked Esme's blue dress. Why the close up of Nik's hand on her arm though? Why did I fool myself into thinking they wouldn't do the OBVIOUS?!?! Silly me.

Just ugh to Esme trying to seduce Nik or setting him up for some fake sex. No. I'm not at all interested in watching any of that play out. We literally saw that a few years ago w/Nelle. It doesn't help that CL and AP had the exact same hair in terms of length and look. The only difference is the color. Just no to them messing w/Nava. I wanted to see Nava team up against Esme, not be broken apart by her shenanigans. Ugh. 

I must admit I liked Sonny being in "mobster mode." I guess he found the robbers Nina was going on about. That suit looked really nice on MB. 

Why was Harmony acting like she was going to pass out? And if it was real, what was wrong w/her? I don't want to watch for myself. LOL! I even skipped the written recap of the Alexis/Harmony scenes! 

I gotta agree with @statsgirl about Carly. Ugh! They are forcing her everywhere, huh? I missed most of the show today but I saw her show up at Alexis's house w/Sam, and then it seemed like she was going to learn Harmony's secret. Just . . . . no. LW doesn't need to be in ALL the stories. 

Edited by lala2
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, Cheetara1986 said:

Spencer didnt want Cam to spill the beans on the an, so he said something bad about Joss. Cam punched him, then Spencer backhanded Officer Rory by accident

Welp, they may go the Chase/Brooklyn route, and in a year SpenRo will be sharing long soulful glances. 😉

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Esme: "I can cut and light a cigar for you."

Thank you for interpreting that. I honestly thought she said, " I can cut up garlic for you" and I couldn't figure out why she would offer to cut up garlic. 

• LOL 14

If Nikolas isn't onto Esme after those advances, then he is dumber than a box of hair and deserves whatever he gets.

I really liked the Harmony scenes. I thought the acting was good on all ends.

I actually enjoyed the look of terror on Spencer's face when he was about to be arrested. Does he have to go back to baby jail? Or maybe a stint in Pentonville this time.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, lala2 said:

Why was Harmony acting like she was going to pass out? And if it was real, what was wrong w/her? I don't want to watch for myself. LOL! I even skipped the written recap of the Alexis/Harmony scenes! 

She was drunk, plus she had just killed a man so that would make anybody a little unstable. Lol. 

26 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I really liked the Harmony scenes. I thought the acting was good on all ends.

Yeah those were good. Harmony was appropriately freaked out from all the lying and killing and drinking. Alexis, Carly, and even Sam were appropriately confused about what the heck was going on. 

• Love 3

I didn't think Spencer hitting Rory was an accident.   I could be wrong, but to me, Spencer's rant/hit was on purpose so that he'd be arrested too.   

Is Harmony's distress about her altercation with Neil's brother (don't remember his name)?  If so, it's weird.  She didn't seem to have a problem sneaking into Alex's house in the middle of the night and killing Neil. 

• Love 3

I have no faith in Nikolas but didn’t he tell Ava he’s playing Esme? Are people worried he might fall for her for real even though it started out as him conning her? 

Esme has had to have borderline creepy scenes with men twice her age too often now. I want to see her try that with Scotty, his reaction would be amazing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

@sas616 - That’s how I saw it too. Spencer intentionally hit Rory so he would be arrested with Cameron. 

@racked - I have zero faith in this show. They retcon stuff all the time so even though Nikolas said he was playing Esme, I wouldn’t put it past this crap show for them to switch it all around. I need to hear Nik say with absolute clarity he knows Esme is playing games and he’s playing her. I fear that won’t happen though so poor Nik has to look the fool for the story to work. I’m not looking fwd to the sex plot that is very likely to happen. It’s boring and unoriginal. 

• Love 2

The Harmony actress was doing some proper "cranked to 11" soap acting today. 

I don't believe for one second that Nik would destroy all inroads of a relationship with Spencer and kill his marriage to Ava to have some kind of dalliance with Esme. Ridiculous. He better be playing her. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

If Nikolas isn't onto Esme after those advances, then he is dumber than a box of hair and deserves whatever he gets.

Unfortunately he seems to be. He said that he was on to Esme but putting his palm to her cheek, that's too far into feelings/seduction. It looks like she's got him hooked no matter how sexy his wife is.

And speaking dumber than hair -- Cameron in his relationship to Joss. All Cameron had to do was say that he feels it's the right thing to let Spencer keep his job at Kelly's and leave it at that. But noooo, he has to proved to Joss that Spencer is really doing the right thing because he has to appease her so she's not mad at him. Do Joss and Cameron share a brain and it's Josslyn's?

2 hours ago, sas616 said:

Is Harmony's distress about her altercation with Neil's brother (don't remember his name)?  If so, it's weird.  She didn't seem to have a problem sneaking into Alex's house in the middle of the night and killing Neil.

I think that Harmony was distressed because it is all falling apart now, Nina, Willow, Brendan, and there is nothing that she seems to be able to do to stop it.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

He said that he was on to Esme but putting his palm to her cheek, that's too far into feelings/seduction.

Wasn't it Esme that grabbed his hand and put it on her cheek? Which I thought was a creepy move and was surprised that Nicolas didn't jerk his hand away

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

This IS Nikolas.

In love with Gia until he loves Emily.

In love with Emily until he loves Courtney.

In love (or lust) with Liz, until...

You get the idea. At least that through line has stayed with whatever actor is playing him. Nik cannot stay faithful (which, on a soap, seems to be a plus). Ava or no Ava, that hasn't changed, it seems.

• Love 3

The Cam thing is weird because all he had to do was say that Spencer was family, and their Grandmother asked him not to cut Spencer completely. 

But knowing Joss, she probably thinks her feelings matter more than Laura's.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

And speaking dumber than hair -- Cameron in his relationship to Joss. All Cameron had to do was say that he feels it's the right thing to let Spencer keep his job at Kelly's and leave it at that. But noooo, he has to proved to Joss that Spencer is really doing the right thing because he has to appease her so she's not mad at him. Do Joss and Cameron share a brain and it's Josslyn's?

This relationship is absolutely abysmal. Joss browbeating Cam into submission at every turn is revolting. I don't know if the writers understand how this is coming off, but this is a form of abuse. Cam isn't allowed his agency, isn't allowed his thoughts, isn't allowed anything when Joss shows up. He falls in line and nods his head and everything is peachy. Do what she wants or else . . .

This is massively fucked up.

• Love 20
2 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

The Cam thing is weird because all he had to do was say that Spencer was family, and their Grandmother asked him not to cut Spencer completely. 

But knowing Joss, she probably thinks her feelings matter more than Laura's.

I could see Joss saying "well, I'm going to talk to Grandma Bobbie because, THIS?  THIS is unacceptable."  

Because she's her mother.

• Love 5

Poor Britt. My guess is that her date was Spinelli.  If not, then he's been using the same dating service.

I thought that Laura was overly lenient to Cameron and coming down too hard on Spencer. It's funny how being with a Carly knock-off ruins a person. Cameron used to be possibly the most engaging of the teen set. Now he's like wallpaper and Spencer is the interesting one.

I don't care how floundering you are Drew, DO NOT HAND AURORA OVER TO MICHAEL. If he doesn't run it into the ground, he'll use it in a vendetta against someone.

Curtis/Hatman/Selena ZZZzzzzz

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

My guess is that her date was Spinelli.  If not, then he's been using the same dating service.

I thought that at first, but I thought the app had photos of it's applicants, so then I figured Spinelli had designed the dating app.  He got his panties in a bunch pretty hard when Britt was badmouthing the app.  Then when Maxie dragged him outside because he was being his typical idiot squirelly, something he said made me think again that he was the owner or the designer.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

My guess is that her date was Spinelli

That's the impression I got as well, though why he dressed up for the Savoy instead of the PC Grill is a total mystery. Also, that sales person totally took advantage of him.

Britt and Drew do have chemistry, but I'm just really not down with this version of the character. He psychoanalyzes everyone and I'm bored with him, his struggles and his constant tongue baths. To think this thing started out well before it went straight into the crapper once he arrived in PC. Between his apology tour for being alive and Jason being dead, his scenes with Carly and Michael, there's just nothing left of the character. Scout was trotted out for a hot second, then shoved right back into the children's closet.

Speaking of children's closet, Bailey is keeping her company there it seems. We haven't seen her since like the second day after she was handed back to Maxie, which I'm sure comes as a shock to everyone.

I felt bad for Officer Shorty. He arrested the mayor's grandsons, and then Jordan called everything a much-a-do about nothing. Imagine invalidating what your rookie officer just did. And Spencer's adjustment needs a serious adjustment. His contempt was just off the charts today. The cop is barely older than we are. Well maybe he takes his life seriously and chose to put his head down and go for it, unlike you, silver spoon up the ass. The fuck, man.

I wish Laura had let him spend the night in his cell.

• Love 15
46 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I thought that Laura was overly lenient to Cameron and coming down too hard on Spencer.

I thought the opposite.  Cam's crime was hitting Spencer for badmouthing Joss and Cam is an upstanding citizen.  Spencer's crime was hitting a police officer, having just come out of baby jail five minutes ago and for the most part showing zero remorse.  Also showing disrespect when talking about Rory and talking to Jordan.  He called her Jordan and Laura tore a strip off of him and reminded him that she's Commissioner Ashford to him.  Heck, if I had called one of my elders, especially an officer of the law, by their first name, my mother would have smacked so hard, my kids would have been born with headaches.  I was impressed at how hard Laura was on Spencer, and rightfully so.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 12