Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, ciarra said:

What was the point of Ava profusely thanking Sonny at his home, then phoning him and thanking him again?  Should she be looking at a spot at Turning Woods Memory Care home?

It almost seemed like foreshadowing for when Sonny and Carly break up, Sonny is going to be chummy with Ava, further devestating Carly.

I am all for devestating Carly as much as humanly possible, but if they bog Ava down with Sonny I will cut a bitch!!!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
35 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

It almost seemed like foreshadowing for when Sonny and Carly break up, Sonny is going to be chummy with Ava, further devestating Carly.

I wonder if we'll get a replay of Carly's greatest hit: showing up at another woman's home or workplace to warn her that she had better stay away from the guy Carly used to be with, but presently isn't. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

No, BL said a said remark, Lulu gave a bit of an icy retort and BL didn't say anything to Lulu until Lulu followed BL outside while BL was getting some air. Not enough to have Olivia fully put the blame on the Thanksgiving fight on BL. 

I didn't say that Brook deserved all of Olivia's blame. Just that Brook helped instigate the catfighting between her and Lulu. I didn't put the blame wholly on Brook either.

It almost seemed like foreshadowing for when Sonny and Carly break up, Sonny is going to be chummy with Ava, further devestating Carly.

I doubt Ava and Sonny will be chummy.

Edited by ulkis
2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I didn't say that Brook deserved all of Olivia's blame. Just that Brook helped instigate the catfighting between her and Lulu. I didn't put the blame wholly on Brook either.

And I say she didn't. Once BL and Lulu got their initial opening out of the way, BL didn't say a word to her, just smirked once in a while.

4 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

No, BL said a said remark, Lulu gave a bit of an icy retort and BL didn't say anything to Lulu until Lulu followed BL outside while BL was getting some air. Not enough to have Olivia fully put the blame on the Thanksgiving fight on BL. 

BL had already attacked Lulu when Olivia told her about the situation, saying that Lulu was terrible and should have shredded the divorce papers even before she snarled on Thanksgiving that Lulu should find her own family* so I supported Lulu bringing it out into the open instead of having to listen to cutting remarks all night.

* Lulu gave up Thanksgiving with her family so that Rocco could spend it with his grandmother and uncle presumably to keep the connection with his father's family now that Dante is no longer around. That's no little thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

BL had already attacked Lulu when Olivia told her about the situation, saying that Lulu was terrible and should have shredded the divorce papers even before she snarled on Thanksgiving that Lulu should find her own family* so I supported Lulu bringing it out into the open instead of having to listen to cutting remarks all night.

* Lulu gave up Thanksgiving with her family so that Rocco could spend it with his grandmother and uncle presumably to keep the connection with his father's family now that Dante is no longer around. That's no little thing.

But not directly to Lulu's face with the divorce papers, and one remark. Lulu started the fight.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:
12 hours ago, ciarra said:

What was the point of Ava profusely thanking Sonny at his home, then phoning him and thanking him again?

I thought she was either brilliantly manipulative or realized that she was never going to be able to parent Avery without Sonny around so she was trying to make the relationship as cordial as possible.

But most likely it's to emphasize the (totally artificial) wedge between Carly and Sonny at the moment because MB and LW have huge minimums and the writers can't figure out anything else to do with them.

This is my guess, too.

8 hours ago, ulkis said:

they never hung out again much after Carly's schemes.

Lulu didn't need Carly to come up with hare-brained schemes. She did just fine on her own.

29 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

LOL. They live in the same town, so it's not as if Lulu made some giant sacrifice. (And the Q house is big enough that Monica could have invited Kevin and Laura without any problem.) TBH, I can't see Lulu ever cutting Olivia out of Rocco's life—unless the baked ziti trays stop.

• Love 2

So, as Carly notes to Jax, Sonny has a guy at immigration, the one who got Jax deported the last time and Carly is fretting will do it again.  So why again wouldn't Sonny just make this guy rubber-stamp Dev's entry into the country?

I dunno why I focused on that snipet of idiocity, but there you go.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Oh crap, one thing I forgot about Friday's show is that when Nik looked at his phone, there was a picture of Spencer and it was the same actor. With all the talk about him growing up and partying in Switzerland or wherever he is supposed to be, I thought for sure we would FINALLY get a hot new Cassadine prince, but it looks like we are getting the same annoying kid. Dang! 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Oh crap, one thing I forgot about Friday's show is that when Nik looked at his phone, there was a picture of Spencer and it was the same actor. With all the talk about him growing up and partying in Switzerland or wherever he is supposed to be, I thought for sure we would FINALLY get a hot new Cassadine prince, but it looks like we are getting the same annoying kid. Dang! 

Not necessarily. Boris's been "dead" and that's probably the last/most recent picture he has of Spencer. Plus someone, Valentin, I think, mentioned him being a teenager or something.

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

But not directly to Lulu's face with the divorce papers, and one remark. Lulu started the fight.

Okay, but she already had attitude about it when she knew nothing about the situation and even if she did hasn't hung out with Dante in ages so it's weird that she's acting so indignant.

The original point was, Lulu is pissy with Brook Lynn and not Carly because both women are actively throwing attitude at each other at the moment. If Brook Lynn had been on the show the past 8 years maybe things would have eased between them too.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Lulu and Olivia love each other, unless Lulu gets a new mom in law and they become close I don't think it's something Lulu thinks of as a sacrifice or an extra effort on her part.

Sorry guys (and I am, because that kid drives me nuts) but the actor who plays Spencer tweeted something about an early call time so it's probably him if Spencer pops up again.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

So, as Carly notes to Jax, Sonny has a guy at immigration, the one who got Jax deported the last time and Carly is fretting will do it again.  So why again wouldn't Sonny just make this guy rubber-stamp Dev's entry into the country?

Jax has to know people, so he could tell someone about Dev and that person would start digging, presumably. 

I laugh at this threat because of course if Jax squeals on Dev he's evil incarnate, but if Sonny gets Jax deported again, it's in service to keeping his family safe. So noble, that Sonny Corinthos.

But I think Sonny wouldn't try to get Jax deported again because he'd never hear the end of it from Carly, and that's not a threat to take lightly. The harping! Oof.

1 hour ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Well the Spencer actor is 14 now so that is a teenager. Lol 

Nicolas Bechtel looks younger, but tweak his styling a bit and they can fix that somewhat. 

59 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Jax has to know people, so he could tell someone about Dev and that person would start digging, presumably. 

I mean before Jax found out, when he first decided to help Dev stay in the country.  That certainly would have taken less effort than bribing his cousin or whatever.

Backing up to the Brook stuff earlier in the week, I kinda like that the problem that's propelled her back into town is...stay with me...kinda grounded?  She didn't, like steal a Fabergé egg or Serena van der Woodsen some guy, she just made a dumb business decision  And yes, as Ned said, she absolutely should have known better (I actually have a theory I'm going to share in the spoiler thread), but I can imagine her feeling stifled by Lois and dazzled by some big-shot producer making all kinds of promises and letting that overrule her better judgment.

So yeah, into it, good job GH.

pADd5cw.gif

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I mean before Jax found out, when he first decided to help Dev stay in the country.  That certainly would have taken less effort than bribing his cousin or whatever.

Ah, gotcha. When has Sonny ever taken the logical, easier route? 

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Nicolas Bechtel looks younger, but tweak his styling a bit and they can fix that somewhat. 

Granted I haven’t seen any recent pictures of him but he shared a scene with Joss sometime last year and he looked so much younger than her that I didn’t realize that the actors were only 2 years apart IRL. It took me out of the scene for a bit because she was asking Spencer for advice and she looked like his babysitter, not a friend. I think it would be a waste to have him on canvas and not aged up to the age of the other teens since it limits his storylines to just his family. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

LOL. They live in the same town, so it's not as if Lulu made some giant sacrifice. (And the Q house is big enough that Monica could have invited Kevin and Laura without any problem.)

Laura and Kevin had invited Liz's boys to Thanksgiving dinner while she was at work. If I were Cam, Jake or Aidan, I would have strongly opposed being forced to do a Quartermain Thanksgiving.

At 14, Nicolas Bechtel does look much younger than Joss.  However, at that age, teens physically mature very quickly.  It would not surprise me if the young actor looks much older since the last time he visited Port Charles.  He may have grown several inches and his voice may have changed.    

1 hour ago, movingtargetgal said:

At 14, Nicolas Bechtel does look much younger than Joss.  However, at that age, teens physically mature very quickly.  It would not surprise me if the young actor looks much older since the last time he visited Port Charles.  He may have grown several inches and his voice may have changed.    

...and hopefully with a new head writer, he won’t be written as a precocious eight-year-old, but I’m not holding my breath. Spencer and Spinelli are a tie for me, and not atop a favorites list. 

Did I (or my DVR maybe) miss something last week, or did Ava go from the floor of Shadybrook to the gallery with no transition?

Dark, I know, but I was hoping Alexis would somehow spring to life and run over Kendra in ironic self-defense. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not necessarily. Boris's been "dead" and that's probably the last/most recent picture he has of Spencer. Plus someone, Valentin, I think, mentioned him being a teenager or something.

Also, for Show's purposes, they would choose a picture that wouldn't confuse the audience. Bechtel is the incumbent face of Spencer. We would look at the picture on Nikolas's phone and think, "Yeah, that's Spencer." This wouldn't keep them from replacing him in a few months if they wanted to introduce a new Spencer (either older or about the same age) who can be full time.

I don't think they will, though. FV seems too attached to this kid, to the point of settling for whatever he can get from him. 

4 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

At 14, Nicolas Bechtel does look much younger than Joss. 

It's a marginal point, but he'll be 15 soon. 

If the latest pictures on his social media are legitimately recent, he looks exactly the same as the last time Spencer was in town. 

I guess the show has given up any pretense that Jake is a Quartermaine anyway.  Monica should have invited them all, but Franco being there was so important that seeing her actual grandson for the first time in an eon or more has to be put to the side.  (I really fucking hate this story)

• Love 4

Granted I'm a woman, but I'm petite and have always looked younger than my age. I don't think Spencer needs to be recast just b/c they recast Josslyn and Cameron w/taller, older-looking teens. Some kids are smaller and younger looking than their friends. Spencer could be that person. I like NB though so I'm in no rush to see him recast. 

• Love 3
On 12/14/2019 at 10:14 PM, mbluecpa said:

Did I (or my DVR maybe) miss something last week, or did Ava go from the floor of Shadybrook to the gallery with no transition?

Nina told her that she wasn't hallucinating, that Nikolas really was alive and had visited her. With that, Ava realized she wasn't crazy after all.

Since Ava had checked herself into Shadybrook voluntarily rather than by a doctor or a court order, she was free to leave any time she wished. Presumably the drug Nik gave her wore off and she checked herself out.

After all, why spend time on Ava when you can spend it on Sonny's manpain or Jason getting angry over Sam's incarceration and having to go to Monica's himself to check on the kids?

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I think I missed an episode with Ava leaving Shadybrook and being all sane and glammed up at the art gallery. Granted, Nicholas did give her a big downer pill so maybe she recovered from that. I thought it was a good cliffhanger with Ava texting everyone and Nina in on the plan. Although, I’m not sure what the ultimate plan is. Hopefully, someone will buy the painting soon and burn it. Even I’m a little creeped out by that picture of Constance Towers. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I think I missed an episode with Ava leaving Shadybrook and being all sane and glammed up at the art gallery

Like @dubbel zout and @statsgirl stated, just above--there was no transition. Once Ava realized Nik really was alive, no need to show her remaining in Shady Brook--proof she wasn't crazy after all. It was Laura and Julian, thinking she was "hallucinating" seeing Nik, that had Ava checking herself in.

• Love 4

What was the point of Ava profusely thanking Sonny at his home, then phoning him and thanking him again? 

And then Sonny was reading her text announcing the auction at the end of the episode.  Y'all were correct that Sonny and Carly must have minimums.  Hasn't Maura done enough heavy lifting with Morgan, Kiki, Griffin, and now Cam's pal?

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Little Charlotte is working on her triple axle??????    There are women on the Figure Skating circuit who can't do triple axles.   Was this a joke?  She'll be executing a quad lutz by next week.

Rocco did keep telling her she never did a triple axle and to stop claiming she did. I'm thinking it's just more Charlotte being an obnoxious brat. And a liar like her "papa".

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Came in right at the end of today.

so was charlotte trying to show a skating move while on th e dock and fell in?!? While dopey Lulu was making out with teacher boyfriend?

they are going to drag the franco thing out forever , actually they already have. 

Hasn't the wiley thing been over a year now?

7 minutes ago, seasons said:

"Wiley" (Jonah) and actual dead Wiley were born in late July 2018.  So, yes, quite a bit over a year, but reveals of baby-related secrets on soaps often are slow cooking. It took two years for Sonny to learn Kristina was his.  

• Useful 1
42 minutes ago, seasons said:

Came in right at the end of today.

so was charlotte trying to show a skating move while on th e dock and fell in?!? While dopey Lulu was making out with teacher boyfriend?

they are going to drag the franco thing out forever , actually they already have. 

Nitwit Charlotte was bragging about her secret body guard. Rocco called her a liar. She then said she could prove it and jumped in the water. If she drowns or dies of hypothermia, I won't shed a tear. Bonus points if Valentin commits suicide in his grief.

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

I admit I'm genuinely curious about two cliffhangers from today, so the show is doing something right.

I do want to know who Franco wakes up as, and also what Ava and Nina are pulling.

(Is that a copy of the portrait? Or did they find the codacil and set it aside before burning the rea thing?

And who did Nina/Ava want to win this thing? Nina tried to thwart Jax, and Ava seemed alarmed by Laura's determination. Yet someone seemed to knock into Valentine deliberately -- I suppose those could be Nicolas hires.)

So, yeah -- I'm unironically interested!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

And who did Nina/Ava want to win this thing? Nina tried to thwart Jax, and Ava seemed alarmed by Laura's determination. Yet someone seemed to knock into Valentine deliberately -- I suppose those could be Nicolas hires.)

It was Trina who knocked the waitress who then knocked Valentin. It's because Laura chatted with Trina earlier about the portrait and Nikolas's death.

If anything, the portrait being set on fire should make Valentin happy, so I don't think it's the real deal, but a print instead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Nitwit Charlotte was bragging about her secret body guard. Rocco called her a liar. She then said she could prove it and jumped in the water. If she drowns or dies of hypothermia, I won't shed a tear. Bonus points if Valentin commits suicide in his grief.

I wanted to both laugh and love your comment! LOL! I cannot stand Charlotte or Valentin, so your scenario would make me so happy! Haha! 

• Love 1

I find it odd that the gallery has no sprinklers.  And that Ava would risk damage to her gallery and the art on the walls.  And that she would pull a stunt with fire, after being severely burned herself.  And that she wouldn't just take the 450 grand, and who cares who gets the painting?

The only thing better than Charlotte drowning was if she held hands with Rocco before she jumped in.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I admit I'm genuinely curious about two cliffhangers from today, so the show is doing something right.

I've mentioned before I think the show has legit improved there. The cliffhangers actually have some suspense, and the promos are doing a better job of not immediately spoiling them. That bit still needs improvement, but for a while there, it was so bad.

Ava's lipstick was awful. That sort-of-frosted pink doesn't do anyone any favors.

"This is the second time someone tried to prevent Franco's procedure. They went to a lot of effort to interfere with my work." LOL. It's the man standing next to you, André!

Lulu taking relationship cues from Charlotte's totally inappropriate question seems totally in character.

11 hours ago, ciarra said:

I find it odd that the gallery has no sprinklers.  And that Ava would risk damage to her gallery and the art on the walls.  And that she would pull a stunt with fire, after being severely burned herself. 

And everyone just stood there. No one called 911, no one looked for an extinguisher, etc. 

Edited by dubbel zout
belatedly fixed a spacing issue
  • Love 3

Finally tuned in today, and it wasn't half bad. I enjoyed the gallery goings-on, especially Trina's reaction at the end. But I'm just glad that Ava's back in her element of not only being Ava Jerome, but holding art auctions and showcasing her gallery. I've always loved that set and that aspect of her character as her complement to the mob side. It's so much more interesting than Sonny's lousy coffee importer business.

I laughed hysterically when Charlotte took a flying leap into the water. Here's hoping she does a repeat of Jason's dock and roll.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Today is the first time in a long time that I found myself actually looking forward to the next day’s episode. And for multiple reasons! Good job, new writers.

When they showed a closeup of the portrait on fire, it looked like there was a white piece of paper or envelope behind the burning canvas. I don’t know how it would manage to survive the fire, or if It even exists (I could be reading too much into the image), but if so this could be the literal reveal of the codicil.  Personally, I’m still hoping for more of a puzzle.

I wasn’t watching closely enough when Charlotte went into the water— was she at least as graceful as Kiki? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Today is the first time in a long time that I found myself actually looking forward to the next day’s episode. And for multiple reasons! Good job, new writers.

I feel like in the context of the times, I shouldn't be happy that a team of two female head writers has given way to a team of two male head writers, but it's all in the specifics, isn't it? 

I have been one of Chris Van Etten's boosters here. I think he's smart and sensitive and someone who has a genuine love of this poor life-supported genre. His pairing with Shelly was oil and water. There were some good things in the "post-Jean" time period, but it was a show with a split personality. I've been encouraged by more recent developments too, since Dan O'Connor became the co-head writer.  

Edited to add: Was that warbling ovary singing "What Child Is This?" for about 20 minutes while Chase and Finn had their discussion of the joys of children?  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 4

Original ending to this past episode:

Final bid goes to Laura, portrait goes up in flames......

…..cue music to "Bonanza" with intro title, "Wyndemere!"

Five figures ride into camera shot on horseback, then one at a time: Mikkos, Valentin, Stavros, Stefan, and Alexis.

Nik stands up, screaming at his tablet:

"No! NOOOOOO!!!! I was watching 'The Mandalorian'! Where's Baby Yoda?!?!"

Edited by NutmegsDad
Me count goodly.
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Ava's lipstick was awful. That sort-of-frosted pink

doesn't do anyone any favors.

"This is the second time someone tried to prevent Franco's procedure. They went to a lot of effort to interfere with my work." LOL. It's the man standing next to you, André!

Lulu taking relationship cues from Charlotte's totally inappropriate question seems totally in character.

And everyone just stood there. No one called 911, no one looked for an extinguisher, etc. 

Looked more like frosted champagne/gold to me. But I agree, it was horrid.

Of course André has to look like an idiot before Heinrik. And for all that Anna was being all too obvious with her questioning him, I can see the doubts creeping in. And could Heinrik look more smug?

I can't believe that Charlotte is half Spencer. Clearly, the Cassadine genes, from the bratty side, are more dominant. I hope she's stuck in a coma for the foreseeable future so I don't have to see her obnoxious face on my screen.

That "painting" of Helena doesn't even look like a painting. It looks like a blow up of a picture! And yeah, I saw the white spot as well.

I can't believe what an inept, Wile E. Coyote/Boris, maroon these writers have turned Nikolas into. I was hoping Jax would just cold cock him. No, it's NOT Jax's fault they don't have the painting. Boris has fucked up everything since the day he decided to show up. HE threatened and sent Hayden away; HE'S the one, who thought he was being oh so clever "haunting" Ava that he lost his precious ring, and now he's stuck whining "Noooooo!" at seeing all his money go down the drain.

So, is Jax stuck with this burned out carcass of a picture?

• Love 1

stupid and yes, totally in character-- although Mark Lawson (Dustin's) smile and nod was adorable as hell. I just wish he was paired with someone who could generate chemistry. (still wishing he had been a recast Lucky. Both the hospital and the PCPD are woefully understaffed-- Chase solves all the crimes and Finn cures all the patients and they both need some back-up. Meanwhile we're knee deep in useless Corinthi)

So-- the fake portrait goes up in flames a'la the Banksy art that destroyed itself. and I'm guessing Ava has the real portrait somewhere and now that Valentin thinks he's in the clear-- she'll figure out if there is a codicil to be found-- just in time to bust up the NYE wedding.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Edited to add: Was that warbling ovary singing "What Child Is This?" for about 20 minutes while Chase and Finn had their discussion of the joys of children?  

The music in Kelly's was SO LOUD. 

53 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That "painting" of Helena doesn't even look like a painting. It looks like a blow up of a picture! And yeah, I saw the white spot as well.

Wasn't that just the wall behind? I don't think the codicil is on a piece of paper behind the painting, because Ava should have found it. The whole thing about that was that the painter put clues in his paintings. I think the clues will lead to where the codicil actually is. Probably in plain sight and everything thought it was a table runner, heh.

• Love 2