Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Meet the Plaths

• Start Topic

Online premiere date October 29, 2019 / Premieres on TLC November 5, 2019

The nine flaxen-haired children in the Plath family have never had a soda, don't know who Spiderman or Tom Brady is and have never watched TV, living remotely in rural Georgia with their "follow their own rules" parents Kim and Barry Plath.

Is there some reason that they are re-showing the first episode tonight?  Same as they showed last week.  How’re they going to keep interest in this if they repeat the story?

Oh my word about not needing head knowledge and turning down a scholarship.  Their language skills are lacking. How on earth did Ethan and Olivia meet and how will the family survive her influence? She appears to be having to much fun introducing her husband to the worldly pleasures. Unfortunately rather than being innocent they seem simple, not in a good way when talking through that big grin. 

Edited by kb3
  • Love 14

There has to be some kind of game TLC producers play to find the stupidest, most desperate for television time fundie yokels. These people can’t be for real. 

the “rebel” daughter with her ten lbs of clumpy mascara and blue jean booty shorts is tooooo much...But not nearly as ridiculous as the goody two shoes Pollyanna sister who does all the cooking.  That one has drank whatever koolaid the mom is on...run girl, run! You’re going to be the Jana Dugger of the family if you don’t find yourself a husband with a quickness. 

I had to give up on it when the oldest son and his wife were trying to open the bottle of RED wine on their WHITE sofa. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Also did anyone else notice he took it out of the freezer? Good lord. 

I’m not sure if I found a new show to hate-watch or if TLC has stooped to a new low with this one. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

I caught a few minutes of it. Seems they don't have a problem with the girls wearing makeup, those 2 older daughters had it caked on and the rebellious one wears some skimpy clothing. The oldest married son and his giggly golly gee willikers act, I would find that a turn off and if I were his wife I would get tired of having to teach him everything. I bet the mother is just seething about the daughter in law's influence but has to play nice.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, b2H said:

Is there some reason that they are re-showing the first episode tonight?  Same as they showed last week.  How’re they going to keep interest in this if they repeat the story?

It was the premier.  It wasn't on last week.  I think it was viewable online, but not on the TV until last night (11/5).

Good god! Ethan must be acting for this show because I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone as,”oh, shucks” as him who could attract someone like Olivia who is sharp and very attractive. He is appallingly unsexy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16

I have to admit that I like the fact that the kids play outside and aren't sitting around playing video games.  But boy have they been sheltered too much.  The parents are setting them up for major rebellion when they find out what the real world is like.  Turn down a college scholarship because she doesn't need head learning?  I'm glad the oldest daughter has moved out of state.  That oldest son is so annoying with his "Aw shucks" act.  How in the world does his wife find that attractive?

• Love 16

I watched the first episode just to see what the buzz was about. I won’t watch anymore because I agree with what’s everyone said about this show being fake and scripted and about the social media sites. And why exploit your kids on TV when they aren’t allowed to even watch TV themselves. Too much like the Duggar’s.

The mother had a traumatic childhood, I think that’s why she’s sheltering her kids. Did they say what the Dad did for a living? He seems to be putting on an ‘aw shucks’ act for the camera.

The kids are sweet, especially Ethan, he might be acting naive for the cameras though. I like Olivia. I pity her having to put up with the  Mom who needs to butt out of her married sons life. Again, I missed how Ethan and Olivia met and do they work? 

Moriah is the rebel. She wants some freedom so bad. As soon as she’s 18 she’ll probably hit the ground running and never look back! 

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

Did they say what the Dad did for a living?

Yes, he's a transportation manager - not an idiot job, really.

49 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I missed how Ethan and Olivia met and do they work? 

Yep - they met at church, as I recall.  Forgetting what they do for work, but neither are related to the farm.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

It was the premier.  It wasn't on last week.  I think it was viewable online, but not on the TV until last night (11/5).

I lasted maybe 30 seconds.  The 1st scene with the blonde boy flipping his bangs back then to the female maybe in a field then I switched it off.  It seemed very staged/bad acted/not worth my time.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

giggly golly gee willikers

11 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

But, I could NOT marry the oldest.  That would be such a turnoff.   

He was like a juvenile version on Mr. Rogers - and not in a good way.  I think sleeping with him would almost be akin to child molestation (sorry, sorry, sorry If I've offended) but he is just so darned emotionally and intellectually underdeveloped.  Did the wife just marry him so she could get on the teevee?

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

I agree it seems fake. Now i know based on above posters pointing out all the channels this family has used in an attempt to get on the TV. The married son is pretty funny though.  Loved the description of when he was at the mechanic job hearing other men cussing and he was like "mommyyyyy!" Lmao

Annoying how these families are into making some kind of additional $$$ via SM, YouTube or reality TV- but if they even started off being half way the way they portray themselves, it is commendable. It's more difficult raising children in that type of lifestyle than the connected and gratified way most of us are. I include myself in that.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, b2H said:

One has to wonder why the eldest daughter got the heck out of Dodge and isn't on the show at all.

I must have missed that part. Where did she go and why? The oldest is Hosanna, right?  She was on the show. 

At least they're slightly more relatable than the Duggars. The dad creeps me out the most because he seems to delight in the social experiment of isolating the kids from everything and has developed a bit of a God complex with limiting their access to to the outside world.

The married couple is cute and harmless enough. Sure at times their dynamic is weirdly mommy/son, especially with her insistence on recording his every new experience like a baby's first steps, but I'd rather watch him enjoy Coke or marvel at strapless bras than listen to the repressed Duggar doofuses blather on about courtship and altar kisses for the ninth season. 

• Love 18

Against my better judgment, I ended up watching this show out of morbid curiosity.  It's terribly fake and it led me down a couple of Reddit rabbit holes, but the most astute thing I saw over there was that Ethan was Kenneth from 30 Rock.  Damn if that isn't the truth--and this family is media savvy enough that I think he watched the show to build his character.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

Who in the world gets married in San Francisco and hires a photographer with limited experience from Georgia?  With an assistant who doesn't even know how to turn on the camera?  But I have to say I probably wouldn't let my 16 year old go to San Francisco without a parent for a week.

• Love 9

That father is positively skeletal and those teeth! I have to look away. 
Maybe it will open the marriage pool for the Duggars unless they believe in keeping it in the family. 
I’m not sure I have enough bandwidth for more WTFuckery from TLC. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I watched the premiere and oddly enough, didn't hate it.

Although two things struck me while watching:

1 - Ethan is the modern-day version of Luke Sims, Nellie Olsen's pig farmer's son husband for all of 30 minutes.

2 - All the flaxen blond hair...it's like Flowers in the Attic, without the attic and, ahem, the incest.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
On 11/7/2019 at 4:01 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

I must have missed that part. Where did she go and why? The oldest is Hosanna, right?  She was on the show.

Was she "on" the show or in various clips of their music?  I can't remember.

I think she's married and a touring musician.

1 minute ago, HaaCHOO said:

Was she "on" the show or in various clips of their music?  I can't remember.

I think she's married and a touring musician.

I thought she was in a few talking heads.  Wasn't she one of the girls when they asked if they knew who Justin Bieber is? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

2 - All the flaxen blond hair...it's like Flowers in the Attic, without the attic and, ahem, the incest.

Give that one some time.

20 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

I'm hooked. They are a bit Duggaresque, but definitely more likeable. Looks like its Olivia vs. Kim. Tell you one thing though, if my future mother-in-law had said if you have alcohol at your wedding no one on my side will come, I would have said we will miss you. 

If they're Quiverfull too they're not more likable. They've just learned what to show the cameras and what not too. Abusive Cult. Period. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

If they're Quiverfull too they're not more likable. They've just learned what to show the cameras and what not too. Abusive Cult. Period. 

Late to the Duggar party. Only heard about them after Josh went all perv. Funny thing is, have driven close to where they live on the way from home to Fayetteville multiple times. 

You are right,  they are more media savvy than Duggars.

• Love 3
On 11/8/2019 at 11:23 PM, Armchair Critic said:

I remember that episode, they eloped and Nellie was actually sweet with him.

I didn't know Nellie ever got married on the show!  Was that a "New Beginning" episode?  I didn't watch most of those episodes, which would explain why I missed it.

1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

I didn't know Nellie ever got married on the show!  Was that a "New Beginning" episode?  I didn't watch most of those episodes, which would explain why I missed it.

Growing up in the 70's we had one tv and I was the youngest child so I didn't get to watch what I wanted much, I haven't seen that many episodes of Little House On The Prairie but did happen to see that episode. It was in season 4:

https://littlehouse.fandom.com/wiki/Luke_Simms#:~:targetText=Luke Simms was the son,order to elope without distraction.

• Love 1
Just now, Armchair Critic said:

Growing up in the 70's we had one tv and I was the youngest child so I didn't get to watch what I wanted much, I haven't seen that many episodes of Little House On The Prairie but did happen to see that episode. It was in season 4:

https://littlehouse.fandom.com/wiki/Luke_Simms#:~:targetText=Luke Simms was the son,order to elope without distraction.

Oh, duh!  I was mixing Nellie up with Nancy (the nasty adopted sister who came along later).  

I do remember that marriage.  I don't remember watching much of Little House during its original run (I was elementary-school age) but I obsessed over it 10-ish years, and watch all of it, until A New Beginning (like a sequel/spin-off) started.

Thanks Armchair!

• Love 1

I checked this out after seeing the promo a billion times. I don't buy the creepy aw shucks of the parents, but the kids are okay so far. I don't even know why they have the pretense of home schooling here. What exactly are the kids learning? Neither grammar not penmanship. I wanted Moriah to tell her mom that her being behind in school shouldn't matter much since mom and dad clearly don't value education. Well, head learning or whatever mom called it. 

I'll watch a few more to see how creepy it gets, if Moriah gets out, and how much Olivia will continue to piss mom off. Also, you don't have a TV? Whatever Hipster. 

• Love 4

I just saw this episode and I get a horrible feeling as though someone is playing a joke on me. Nothing seemed authentic about their experiences or differences. I can't put my finger on it, it was just strange.

• Love 5
On 11/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, camom said:

Turn down a college scholarship because she doesn't need head learning?  

And who the heck talks like that? "Head learning"? Somehow I am sure 'head learning' taught her a few things when she was negotiating a contract with TLC.  I just read all the posts so I apologize for merely repeating what others already noted. I am just too impatient with my snark!

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 4

I watch because I want to see how far TLC will go...

This next statement is not racial. But they have put this family in an extremely white environment... furniture, houses, clothing, things they handle. It's like watching a family live in a sterile operating room. Plus, the premise is that they are so pure! It reminds me of the movie Uptown Saturday Night and Roscoe Lee Brown was a mayor expecting Black constituents. So he put on a Dashiki, turned Nixon's portrait around and had Dr. King facing outward in order to create a Blacker environment. It seems the set up with this family is trying to create the same.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I love how they played in to the very worst of San Francisco to confirm the narrative of how California is so awful in this episode.  Those that live in the area had to have been offended.

• Love 2
On 11/1/2019 at 11:27 AM, Phoebe70 said:

And the older son, Ethan, who just got married?  Seems like his wife is playing the role of the "bad influence" who gets him to drink his first Coke (gasp!), his first margarita and watch tv for the first time.  

Did the wife show him the beejee for the first time too?!?!?

I'll show myself out.

• LOL 2
On 11/8/2019 at 9:24 PM, jacksgirl said:

if my future mother-in-law had said if you have alcohol at your wedding no one on my side will come, I would have said we will miss you. 

Yup!  A statement like that is just a "penny in the do-it bank"!  LOL!

• Love 1
On 11/1/2019 at 11:27 AM, Phoebe70 said:

Seems like his wife is playing the role of the "bad influence" who gets him to drink his first Coke (gasp!), his first margarita and watch tv for the first time. 

Ok.. I broke down too and watched b/c it followed Counting On... this morning it followed an Outdaughtered rerun.

First opinion - I think Olivia is enjoying kinda "raising" Ethan.  Teaching all about drinking, and probably sex, and just living in a world outside of the Platt bubble. But what is going to happen in about 10 years - when she gets kinda tired of playing mother and wants a "man".. She flys to SF to shoot pictures (how in the hell did she get that gig)  and he does what - fixes cars in a country garage..

Is Olivia from south GA too ?

Second - Kim the mom...why can't she realize in her 35-40 yrs of living that her mom made a bad choice in men and followed by another bad choice, in abusing alcohol.  And she didn't finish the story - did the mom suddenly go to a treatment center and found Jesus when she turned 14? Did mom abuse sugar too ?

Just because a parent made a bad choice - doesn't mean you - the adult child- have to go to the other extreme in everything else - placing your children in a bubble of life.  Thankfully she found a man who seems to agree with everything thing she is doing. And thankfully - sounds like he as a city job (ie a pension and job security) working as a city planner in Tallahassee.

And Kim - you pissed me off with the SF (implying any major city) has "drugs and human trafficking".  Drugs are everywhere . Human trafficking is everywhere. Sorry. Have you took a moment to look into how certain parts of GA became famous for running moonshine and cooking meth and/or what ever that creation is that is the reason why certain OTC you have to ask the pharmacist for ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6
On 11/14/2019 at 3:08 PM, b2H said:

I love how they played in to the very worst of San Francisco to confirm the narrative of how California is so awful in this episode.  Those that live in the area had to have been offended.

I was offended (see my above post) - as I too live in a major city . I never have been to SF and I too sensed they showed the worst of the city.

sallyandlinus.gif.7522d6a10a9234a3726059e0816f712c.gif

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2