Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Meet the Plaths

• Start Topic

I live in Tallahassee and graduated from FSU.  I shop in Narcissus which is where they went in the first episode. Cairo is about a 40 min drive for me, I’ve had to go up there for work related issues in the past. Anyway, this is very amusing to me. Maybe I’ll run into them here, especially since the dad works in Tallahassee.  

On another note, I read Ethan and Olivia got married the Sat after Hurricane Michael hit last year. Cairo was hit pretty badly, we all were without power for days. Says they got ready for wedding without electricity etc. would love to hear, see more of this. You would never know in the wedding video she posted!

• Love 1

That  mother and father really are abusive, in that these kids most likely will never lead a normal life. Look at that oldest boy..he is just plain odd because of his upbringing and nothing is ever going to change that. The girl who wants to be free acts more normal, but none of the rest seem to at this point. When is isolating your kids to the point that they do, just too much, and maybe the kids need to be placed elsewhere?

• Love 2
On 11/7/2019 at 11:40 AM, Lizzing said:

Ethan was Kenneth from 30 Rock.  Damn if that isn't the truth

Ha!  I came here just to write this...was wondering if anyone else was seeing Kenneth in every scene.

On 11/5/2019 at 10:20 PM, Horrified said:

If I were to watch this stoned, it would play like a horror show.

...or a 30 Rock spinoff, depending upon just how stoned you might be.  Or so I've heard.

😉

• LOL 2

I have to admit I just don’t get what Olivia sees in Ethan. I think she’s beautiful, poised and smart. I would be totally embarrassed to be with someone so awkward especially when I was 21.  Also, momma fundie being SO anti sugar, everything healthy, comes off as phony as hell because obviously she’s eating something besides kale smoothies.

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
On 11/7/2019 at 11:40 AM, Lizzing said:

Against my better judgment, I ended up watching this show out of morbid curiosity.  It's terribly fake and it led me down a couple of Reddit rabbit holes, but the most astute thing I saw over there was that Ethan was Kenneth from 30 Rock.  Damn if that isn't the truth--and this family is media savvy enough that I think he watched the show to build his character.

Thank you! It was bugging me who this kid reminded me of. I was thinking Liberace or Zach Galifianakis’ “twin brother,” Seth, but those didn’t seem quite right. It’s definitely Kenneth the page.

I really like this show. Love that their not hiding the fact that their relationships aren’t perfect. I wish the married son could see his siblings though. It’s hurtful that they try and keep him and his wife away because they need to be supervised around the younger ones. That’s just wrong. 

• Love 2
On 11/20/2019 at 5:50 AM, OldButHappy said:

Ha!  I came here just to write this...was wondering if anyone else was seeing Kenneth in every scene.

Just watching this now, and that's what I was coming here to post!

• LOL 1

All the commercials snared me.  What a strange show this is!  The parents are apparently the absolute authorities over every aspect of the children's lives, yet they seemed to be pushovers.  I don't know if I have the wrong episode, but making Mariah's trip to SF conditional on her schoolwork puts control right in Mariah's hands.  As others have mentioned, there has been a good bit of talk about "conservative values" yet all the girls older than 12 are wearing Tammy Faye Bakker makeup.  And I would have thought a truly controlling parent would have supervised what her virginal daughter packed to wear in SF.  Mariah (and SIL) wore Daisy Dukes--and attracted attention for it.  Every other person shown was wearing long pants.  The girls wore sweatshirts.  It must have been chilly.  Was this a production suggestion?  If anyone engaged in improper behavior, it's two young blondes wearing short-shorts in a town they aren't familiar with, with big goofy smiles on their faces.

I didn't think they were in the worst parts of SF.  I was glad their tour took them through Castro, but Mariah's sudden awakening--her epiphany if you will--that we are all people and why had she been taught that some were "better" than others was so fishy I went to the kitchen for some tartar sauce.

I think TLC was taken by the Children of the Corn blondness of this family and signed them right up.

• Love 5

If they don't have any "outside" friends, and they don't own a tv, and they don't go to school--where do the girls learn about blue mascara?  Is there an Allure magazine subscription going to Plathville?

Second:  Olivia has done a good job with her husband.  She seems gentle and encouraging.  Why did she have to let Moriah spend her first day in SF dressed like a hooker?

• Love 1
On 11/10/2019 at 5:54 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Growing up in the 70's we had one tv and I was the youngest child so I didn't get to watch what I wanted much, I haven't seen that many episodes of Little House On The Prairie but did happen to see that episode. It was in season 4:

https://littlehouse.fandom.com/wiki/Luke_Simms#:~:targetText=Luke Simms was the son,order to elope without distraction.

I have no recollection of this. Lol. I watched every episode and was allowed to stay up thirty minutes past my bedtime to watch it. 

I remember Nellie marrying Percival - the guy her parents hired to teach her to cook. She fell in love with him when he dumped eggs on her head, and they had twins. 

• Love 1

My thoughts on Olivia, she's a narcissist and Ethan just goes along to keep her happy.  What's gonna happen when he "tries" all these new things that she so proudly introduces him to and becomes an alcoholic or addicted to drugs, she'll leave him in a heartbeat. She is everything his parents feared and more. I don't agree with how they parent but that's on them but they were spot on with her. And Micah, I just have to fast forward thru his scenes, his obsession with himself is so off putting.

• Love 1