Type keyword(s) to search

Rock The Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can only speak for myself, but I would rather have the experience of going to the spa than having it in my house.  Maybe the sauna but not everyone can use a sauna due to health reasons. 

• Like 8

I wonder if the show told them they weren’t allowed to add any extra bathrooms or bedrooms to the listing? The last few seasons that has become the obvious go-to to bump the appraisal price up. Didn’t one team last year kit out their downstairs as a complete rental apartment? 

For not one single team to even think about throwing a bathroom and a closet down there I wonder if the producers stepped in to stop that from being an obvious avenue to victory? 

• Useful 3

I have a cousin who had a bar in the basement with a fridge and popcorn machine. There was no need for a dishwasher because we used paper plates for food that was brought downstairs, bags for popcorn, and Red Solo Cups for beverages. All that was necessary was a big trash can. Of course it wasn't a multi-million dollar house, but we had fun. 🤣

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, BryroseA said:

I wonder if the show told them they weren’t allowed to add any extra bathrooms or bedrooms to the listing? The last few seasons that has become the obvious go-to to bump the appraisal price up. Didn’t one team last year kit out their downstairs as a complete rental apartment? 

For not one single team to even think about throwing a bathroom and a closet down there I wonder if the producers stepped in to stop that from being an obvious avenue to victory? 

I remember one team put a possible rental (I think of it as the live-in nanny's place) in the bonus room over the garage.   

15 hours ago, BryroseA said:

Didn’t one team last year kit out their downstairs as a complete rental apartment?

I'm new to the show so I'm watching previous seasons as well as this one. It was season 2 and Nate and Jeremiah did that. They won the episode but did not win overall. 

I'm with all of you about the specificity of the downstairs and how illogical it was to me. Especially since they don't leave the furniture. So you have a massage room but then the new home owner would have to buy massage tables for themselves? (Or I guess the masseuse would bring them?) The rich do live a different life than I do. 

One of the things I struggle with regarding this show is the waste. They have a generically built out house and they pull down perfectly good walls and cabinets. Sometimes they reuse the cabinets, but other times they don't. It bothers me. 

• Like 6
21 hours ago, buttersister said:

Alison liked the gym and massage room because she works out and gets massages at home. Of course. She’s not going to show her face in any of the popular gyms/clubs

I only watched Windy City Rehab a handful of times and heard whisperings of her alleging her partner ripping her off. Is there some new scandal? Is it worth me googling?

1 hour ago, islandgal140 said:

I only watched Windy City Rehab a handful of times and heard whisperings of her alleging her partner ripping her off. Is there some new scandal? Is it worth me googling?

I can't remember much and don't care enough to investigate, but I thought she was pushing the rumors that he was ripping her off because she was ripping him off.

• Like 3
On 3/28/2023 at 6:24 PM, njbchlover said:

Also, there is something about them that just kind of annoys me.  

Like saying, "We deserve to win." 

On 3/28/2023 at 2:28 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Every time I see something on these kinds of shows such as the wood slats on the walls, I immediately think: Dusting all that?! (I didn't say I dust; I said I think about it!)

My One Major Lower-Level Item:

A swim-spa with resistance-flow to swim in place. 🏊‍♀️

https://www.swimex.com/residential-pool-gallery/

Your posts are cracking me up.

I was thinking the same thing about the swim-spa! Would love one of those.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2023 at 12:58 PM, islandgal140 said:

Paige's deserved to lose just for those swings alone. 

Just imagine kids trying to swing back and forth and slamming into the island--ouch!

Also, they were hung too low, especially for kids, and also too far from the island. You'd have to awkwardly push forward and plant your feet on the floor to eat. Reach for a cookie, lose your traction and swing away. The judges seemed uncomfortable just sitting there.

I agreed with the winners, mainly for the bunk room.

And I really want a curved sofa like the speak-easy room. Suddenly I'm seeing them everywhere.

Edited by kikicat
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

And why did we spend time with the person on the cruise and everyone doing a video dance for him?  I want to see the designs and focus on the makeovers instead of just being able to see everything in a rush at judging.  

• Like 6

Not one couple yet in this season (or previous, IIRC) designed for a possible real future, to wit:

Wider hallways and doorways on purpose to accommodate walkers and wheelchairs. An elevator. Accessible kitchen with no-ladder-required storage, range knobs and faucet handles in the front. Walk-in tubs instead of clawfoot ones with high sides to climb over. Countertops to slide a wheelchair under. Etc. Too specific? I'm hale and hearty at 73, knock on the proverbial wood, and I would love to go back and re-design my house like this!

And what about a "Smart" house? Has any team incorporated computer technology with their HVAC systems, security, appliances, windows/blinds, lighting, room to room communication, music, etc.? We saw the $7000 toilet, but cost is basically all we were told. 

I am one that would like to see a Crafting Room. Tables and storage of different sizes and purposes, comfy chairs, TV, and maybe a fancy-pants sewing machine (or at least  room for one; my friend has one, just got a quilter, and bought one of those Cricket [sp?] machines, too!). Coloring, rock-painting, 3000-piece puzzles, knitting, etc.!

• Like 15

I liked the Farmhouse team's exterior the most, for the stone and the wood lintels--a touch of French farmhouse. But the winners deserved it.

The houses were all so similar in style, like an HOA tyrant was mandating a look. Stone, wood, black, beige. Some color would have been nice.

• Like 5

If ever there was an hour of TV that needed a FF button, this was it. (Luckily, I recorded and started watching about 35 minutes in real time.)

I'm more than tired of Ty (FF) and whatever that sporting scene nonsense was (FF) and some of the teams' back-and-forth (looking at you, resort builders). 

I'm not sure I'm all that impressed with the homes anyway. Big boxes. Big windows that are going to end up looking at other big boxes. Not enough appliances in extras kitchens. And a lot of it reads like a Wayfair infomercial.

This did remind me why I stopped watching 100 Day Dream House (Brian, ugh).

• Like 4

One main memory that I'm left with this time is that parfour (??) set-up, that is - the posts that you walk on the top of?  Looks to me like a law suit waiting to happen, when your neighbor's kid falls off and breaks his leg.  

Years ago an acquaintance of ours built a skateboard ramp in her back yard for her kids and others.  But before your kid could go on it, you had to sign a release absolving them of any fault.  I'd advise that for this house too.  😟

• Like 10

Did you know the Island couple hadn’t won and needed a win?

7 hours ago, buttersister said:

I'm more than tired of Ty (FF) and whatever that sporting scene nonsense was (FF) and some of the teams' back-and-forth (looking at you, resort builders). 

Yes x 1000.

I thought Michel & Anthony’s exterior siding, etc, will stand up better to snow, rain and heat than a front that looks like un stained 2 x 4s. 

5 hours ago, Chippings said:

One main memory that I'm left with this time is that parfour (??) set-up, that is - the posts that you walk on the top of?  Looks to me like a law suit waiting to happen, when your neighbor's kid falls off and breaks his leg.  

Years ago an acquaintance of ours built a skateboard ramp in her back yard for her kids and others.  But before your kid could go on it, you had to sign a release absolving them of any fault.  I'd advise that for this house too.  😟

Betting that acquaintance was a lawyer. Agree on the release, or that you’d have to explain it to people. No one handled that well because it was a ridiculous challenge.

So next week is the study. That ought to be hilarious too.

7 hours ago, buttersister said:

If ever there was an hour of TV that needed a FF button, this was it.

Does anyone else get to the end and all of the houses just blend together?

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
47 minutes ago, ML89 said:

Does anyone else get to the end and all of the houses just blend together?

Oh my gosh, yes. And really, anyone who lives in these homes will probably rethink a good bit of the renovations. Ty always looks like he has just been on a bender; another network host that just will never go away. I am old.🙄

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

There is a Reddit sub-thread called "What Could Go Wrong?" Let me tell you, those "parkour" posts would be a prime entry. The diameters are way too small; there is no safe "landing" area or finish line; and the different heights are both dangerous and nonsensical. 😬 🚑 🏥 🤕👨‍🦽

For all the "added value" and uniqueness, what the show could not improve was the closeness of each house to the other. I mean, for that money....🤔

• Like 9
34 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

There is a Reddit sub-thread called "What Could Go Wrong?" Let me tell you, those "parkour" posts would be a prime entry. The diameters are way too small; there is no safe "landing" area or finish line; and the different heights are both dangerous and nonsensical. 😬 🚑 🏥 🤕👨‍🦽

For all the "added value" and uniqueness, what the show could not improve was the closeness of each house to the other. I mean, for that money....🤔

I'm in Florida, and new construction around me mostly has very little space between houses. They're selling the depth of the lot and the view in this case, but did you notice that little path around the lake (that is probably a retention pond)? You're going to have the whole neighborhood trotting past your "private" backyard.

Also, that boulder with the address. Okay, great, until the HOA steps in and says no.

11 hours ago, kikicat said:

The houses were all so similar in style, like an HOA tyrant was mandating a look. Stone, wood, black, beige. Some color would have been nice.

Oh, I am sure there is an HOA tyrant mandating the look.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I actually thought the parkour thing wasn't such a bad idea until I saw the execution.  In the video they showed about it, the landing places were really wide and all the same height, which was only about 2-2.5 foot off the ground from what I could tell.  Brian's spikes were horrible and very dangerous. Only teens are going to enjoy that. 

OTOH, I liked their fire pit area the best of all of the choices.  I hated the climbing wall/planter/screen with no projector area. lol

I liked the Farmhouse look the best (not a surprise, I suppose) but I would have loved to see brick instead of the ugly stone everyone uses these days. In 20 years all the shows are going to be pulling that "dated" look off these houses and they all look the same, IMHO.  - the 2020's = let's put ugly gray stone everywhere and paint the rest black.  We're clearly all depressed, or will be when we look at these houses. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Another year, another season where no one screened in even part of their porch. Bug haters of the world, unite and demand your porch be screened in!!!

I thought an outdoor shower, especially one with a dog shower area, would have been a good use of that $1000 challenge. Maybe throw in a kayak/ski rack for gear storage. Everyone I know in CO does a TON of hiking, kayaking, etc with their dogs. 

Edited by BryroseA
  • Like 14
6 minutes ago, sadtvjunkie said:

I was  very surprised that not one of these mansions had a hot tub outside to enjoy the cold outside and see the mountain view.

Yes! I don’t know how many of the teams had hot tub money remaining, but that feels like it would have been a good addition. 

• Like 4
(edited)

Hot tub with a privacy fence.

On account of the neighbors nearby to follow. That is, if the HOA allows them. LOL!

ETA: I watched parkouring videos from LA and Detroit a long, long time ago. This bunch of liability logs was the worst set up imaginable--no landing spots, no variance of surfaces, no imagination.

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
19 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Best moment? The judge pointing out that the outdoor fireplace totally blocked the view! 😄 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♀️

A bocce court? 🙄

I would love a bocce court. And when it is not in use you cover it

• Like 3

I think the "add something that matches this stupid themetasks need to be eliminated.  They take away from actually being able to see the transitions occurring (and they really don't show the finished rooms that much instead of focusing on all of the other foolishness), and they often end up being useless and/or dangerous.  Those wood posts were ridiculous as was the climbing wall.  The bocce court, while clever, will just be a huge outdoor cat restroom unless always covered (and when covered, pretty useless).  I also wondered why there were so many yards covered in rocks-after a heavy rain, those rocks would come right down those steep side yards. 

I, too, wondered why nobody put in a hot tub.  But, every time they show an aerial shot, it becomes obvious that none of these houses will have views other than the view of the other homes that will still be built.  These are not the lakeside/pondside homes, those are still to be built.  There was another season (Charleston?) when the homes were directly on a pond and I was surprised that some of the contestants built privacy fences that blocked the view.  Here I was surprised nobody built privacy fences because there will be houses behind these house.  Another option would be planting some trees that would give an illusion of privacy behind the houses.  Overall, the landscaping was pretty bland.  

• Like 8

Landscaping is hella expensive, and trees cost the most.

I was disappointed in the exterior of the houses. All that depressing black. It was  actually a trend a few years ago, and I would have thought it was over by now. And was it the NewKid house that was all black with just that side wing covered in wooden siding? It looked like a witch house with a shack attached to it.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

I fast forwarded through most of this episode. Very boring and there was a depressing sameness to the houses. I know they’re all chasing trends because they want to win but as @ML89 said they all blur together.

Can’t remember which couple it was that did the chess game but I thought it should be checkers instead.

• Like 2

I agree about the outside appearance - I wouldn't want to buy a big black house.

It would be more interesting at this point to focus on how much money each team has left.   They mentioned it for a few, but not for all.  I suspect that those with more money may pull off a hot tub for the final episode.

At least they're not decorating with trash.

• Like 2

I haven't paid close enough attention, but do all the houses have the same layout/floorplans? I'm trying to figure out what the developer is going to do to sell these houses once the show is over. Some of the designs are so out there I think they'll have to fix the ridiculous (swings at the island) before they go on the market.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I suspect that those with more money may pull off a hot tub for the final episode.

I've heard more than one designer say hot tubs don't add value to a home. That may be why no one has added one. 

I thought Page and her partner would win. I liked the outside of her house the best. 

Liked Michel and Anthony's house... but that outdoor movie screen looked so low budget... so did the rock climbing wall.

Bocce Ball and Parkour activities are bad ideas. Loved the chess board in the lawn. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, carrps said:

I was disappointed in the exterior of the houses. All that depressing black. It was  actually a trend a few years ago, and I would have thought it was over by now

I'm tired of black and I'm tired of open shelving.

• Like 10
  • Applause 6
(edited)

I watch a lot of reno and flip shows.  A few years ago, Sean Conlon on The Deed: Chicago said that flip houses are aimed at people who want trendy, and the open shelving is exactly that, trendy.   It's also to make it easier for short term or vacation renters to find dishes, etc. and have them readily available without looking through a bunch of cabinets.   It's also used for second homes that won't be used very often, if at all by the owners, and they rent the house out.  

I think it's also a way to save money, by doing open shelves, as opposed to putting up upper cabinets.    Personally, I hate open shelves.   I think they're a problems to keep clean, and keep the dishes you put on them dust free.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 10
On 4/4/2023 at 4:55 PM, BryroseA said:

Another year, another season where no one screened in even part of their porch. Bug haters of the world, unite and demand your porch be screened in!!!

I'm not sure Colorado is a buggy state. Reminds me of California with all the outdoor living and not a screened porch in sight. 

Depending on what part of the state you're in, there are Miller moths that are a big issue on the eastern part of the state.   There are also swallows who love to eat mosquitos, but also nest anywhere, including on top of your outdoor wall lights, and dive bomb you if you come near their nest.  There are mosquitos also, and wasps or hornets. 

On 4/5/2023 at 1:34 PM, meep.meep said:

I agree about the outside appearance - I wouldn't want to buy a big black house.

It would be more interesting at this point to focus on how much money each team has left.   They mentioned it for a few, but not for all.  I suspect that those with more money may pull off a hot tub for the final episode.

At least they're not decorating with trash.

I really dislike black or charcoal grey exterior finishes, but expecially black.  It just looks so dreary and not welcoming.  There's so much natural beauty in that area - to just put a big black box in the middle of it is distracting - even with the small area of contrasting wood/stone.

I do wonder if any of them will have any money remaining.  At this point, they all seem to have low remaining budgets to do the rest of house, unless they are only going to pick one or two rooms.  Although, if they are doing everything through Wayfair and they are going to put together a couple of kids/guest bedrooms, they can use lower-end furnishings, linens and accessories and it won't eat into their remaining budgets too much.

(edited)
23 hours ago, 40Love said:

I've heard more than one designer say hot tubs don't add value to a home. That may be why no one has added one. 

I thought Page and her partner would win. I liked the outside of her house the best. 

Liked Michel and Anthony's house... but that outdoor movie screen looked so low budget... so did the rock climbing wall.

Bocce Ball and Parkour activities are bad ideas. Loved the chess board in the lawn. 

I liked Page and Mitch's house, too.  

I kind of liked Michel and Anthony's, but was disappointed that they chose not to include a grill or outdoor kitchen area and they didn't get dinged for that.  Plus, that double faced fireplace was just way too tall.  (Although, if there will be more homes built behind these houses, that may become a blessing and design advantage.)

I didn't like much of the Baumler's, but I don't know if it's because I don't really them, or I'm just not into the "hotel as a home" design aesthetic.

The movie screen/pergola/climbing wall was just okay, how much use would you really get from the movie screen?  The weather must get fairly cold in the late fall/winter/early spring, so even if you had the firepit going, you'd still be cold out there watching a movie.  Plus, if this is going to be an development with an HOA, the HOA may have restrictions on that.  Also, I didn't notice any soft landing/safety ground cover on the side with the climbing holds.  That didn't appeal to me, as it was a safety hazard.  

I was surprised that none of the teams mounted an outdoor TV in the covered patio area of their homes, which would be more useable and more cost effective than that retractable theatre-style screen.  

I also loved the chess board - you could purchase large checker pieces so that those that don't play chess or younger children could also play.

The parkour thing just looked like a lawsuit waiting to happen - I wouldn't have given the Baumler's the win just for that alone.  Although, I feel like this show likes to make a basically "even" playing field going into the finale, so it was their week to win.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
31 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Although, if there will be more homes built behind these houses, that may become a blessing and design advantage.

That's a "when" and the race to ignore that fact (ooh, blocks the view!) is such BS.

• Like 3
On 3/31/2023 at 3:20 PM, seacliffsal said:

And why did we spend time with the person on the cruise and everyone doing a video dance for him?  I want to see the designs and focus on the makeovers instead of just being able to see everything in a rush at judging.  

Cross promotion???? John was working on a fan music reunion nostalgia type cruise. I suspect the demographics for people who attended such events are similar to hgtv's ideal viewer. 

And Kristina was just annoying me left and right with her kvetching about John being on the cruise. He was working at his other job at an event that was probably booked nine months to a year ago. Y'all knew he was going to be away for those few days - either plan ahead with extra help or simpler design/construction choices. Not like he woke up and decided to see if he could get a cruise somewhere for a little R&R.

I don't know why it annoyed me so but it did.

• Like 5
On 4/7/2023 at 4:47 PM, quirkygal said:

Cross promotion???? John was working on a fan music reunion nostalgia type cruise. I suspect the demographics for people who attended such events are similar to hgtv's ideal viewer. 

And Kristina was just annoying me left and right with her kvetching about John being on the cruise. He was working at his other job at an event that was probably booked nine months to a year ago. Y'all knew he was going to be away for those few days - either plan ahead with extra help or simpler design/construction choices. Not like he woke up and decided to see if he could get a cruise somewhere for a little R&R.

I don't know why it annoyed me so but it did.

I think Kristina was just teasing. I don't think she was serious at all. She and John are old friends and tease each other a lot on their show.  She knew he had those plans. She wasn't upset. She was just laughing at him and teasing him the way old friends do.

At least that's the way it came across to me. Perhaps because my friends and I have a similar teasing thing we do with each other.   It's a sign of affection.  

Those we don't tease we don't like.

2 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

Who do you all think will win the season finale? I vote Brian and Sarah 

I vote for John and Kristina but I love a good farmhouse and the color green with the wood touches.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
On 4/8/2023 at 3:57 PM, DVDFreaker said:

Who do you all think will win the season finale? I vote Brian and Sarah 

I don't know. I'm not in love with any of the houses, and I usually I have favorite by this point. 

Anthony and Michel are the people I'd love to hang out with most. They seem like fun. 

On 4/3/2023 at 10:54 PM, buttersister said:

Yes, the challenges were stupid. I didn't like anyone's sport feature. 

Unpopular opinion: I like Ty, in spite of his "slept on the beach and in desperate need of a shower" appearance. He's overcome a lot in his life and is still mostly winning. And his energy is out there. I believe he's sober now. I hope so. 

• Like 4

My cynical view is the winning house is the couple that HGTV want to promote the most.   Since Luxe is back on, Fix My Flip is back soon, and I think that Bryan has a show on HGTV Canada that I'm guessing will be on HGTV U.S., and Farmhouse Fixer is on constantly, then it's a toss up.  

I feel sorry for the judges, having to rave about everything that all four couples did, when a lot of it is ugly.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My cynical view is the winning house is the couple that HGTV want to promote the most.   Since Luxe is back on, Fix My Flip is back soon, and I think that Bryan has a show on HGTV Canada that I'm guessing will be on HGTV U.S., and Farmhouse Fixer is on constantly, then it's a toss up.  

I feel sorry for the judges, having to rave about everything that all four couples did, when a lot of it is ugly.    

I agree.  Seeing the houses all completed and not space by space, there was A LOT in each of those homes that I did not like at all!! 

And, I didn't catch the floorplan for the homes in the beginning of the episode, but is there only ONE bedroom in these houses?  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
19 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

And, I didn't catch the floorplan for the homes in the beginning of the episode, but is there only ONE bedroom in these houses?  

That's what I came here to say too. I didn't realize until they did the whole house tour that there was only one main floor bedroom. For houses of that size, and appraised close to $3M, to have only one main floor bedroom is crazy! I'd expect a minimum of 3. I'd guess that's why Michel and Anthony won, because they added a main floor bedroom with ensuite. 

For all the commentary and discussion Jasmine, Egypt and Mike had did they have any say in who the winner was, or was it strickly based upon the appraised value?

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

This. Did they skip all the children's rooms? Is there a second floor we never saw? Or maybe we saw its decks but not the rooms inside.  I am confused.

• Like 6