Type keyword(s) to search

Rock The Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Bug screens seem an easy add, while reorienting your pool could be pricier.

I guess for most people that's true. And for real estate estimations a better value. But I personally don't care about the orientation of the pool at all. Am I going to be sitting in the pool for hours on end where it'd make a difference? For me, no.

• Like 1
On 3/26/2024 at 4:35 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I thought it was outrageous that the twin's overdone, not facing the water, mishmash of an outdoor space won.    I guess viewer numbers for their show must be down.     There seems to be a connection between viewer numbers for a show, and wins for the weeks on this show.     

The judges point out that the twins space wasn't facing the water, and then rave about screens that could be put on any other home in a couple of hours.   As other posters pointed out, the screens were tight, so bugs will go through the gaps, and it does nothing to get rid of bugs already under the covered porch area.   

I thought the landscaping for the twins' house was way overdone too.   In bad weather, their back yard will end up in the pool, and on the back covered patio.     

I disagree with all of this. 

The judges pointed out a negative about each space, so having them say something negative about the twins design doesn’t mean it automatically shouldn’t win. And if people want to face the lake when sitting outside, there are other seating options for that.

Bug screens are great for an outdoor space that is designed to be used in teh warm evenings in a place with lots of bugs. 

Their landscaping was no more overdone than any others. Not sure what you mean about bad weather making their backyard end up in the pool. If you mean wind will blow stuff around, then that applies to all four designs. 

The twins’ design was colourful and fun. They had a practical outdoor cooking area, swing chairs (which I only noticed in the background), the private palapa, outdoor shower (in an are where an outdoor shower should be), and a nice seating area.

The guys was my second choice, but I thought their seating area was too crowded with furniture. There was barely room to walk around there. And I don’t like open shelves in an outdoor kitchen for dishes; dust and bugs and whatnot all over them.

Paige’s swinging sofa was amazing but her seating should have been oriented to the screen, or the screen to the seating, I guess. Didn’t like the white upholstery; it will be filthy in a week. I don’t think she had any cooking space either; did the judges mention that?

The Baumlers space looked elegant, as usual. No idea if the hot tub/ no hot tub issue mattered; maybe other Floridians can weigh in.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
(edited)

This was a really hard week to judge. They had to cooperate on the exteriors of the buildings, and they all did pretty much the same things with the landscaping. Likewise, the balconies. And those postage stamps of docks... I dunno, if I was trying to get out of my boat, probably loaded down with stuff, I wouldn't want a lot of things on my tiny dock getting in my way.

That hammock is a "showstopper"? Really, Paige and Mitch? Really? Did love the guys' glass light fixture and thought they should get extra credit for being the only team to actually make their art feature.

I guess I would've given the win to the Bs. The solar panels do seem to be the biggest value add and probably will help the twins in the long run, but their design otherwise was pretty meh. I've felt that way about their designs all season. (This week made me wonder if they've been planning the solar panels all season and have been saving their money for that instead of stellar design.) I liked the fireplace on the Bs' balcony, and the pergola. It gives a bit of privacy, at least. This week, you could really see how close the other neighbors are to these two houses. I'd feel like I was in a fishbowl anytime I was on my dock or in my pool.

When I was a kid, I went on a class trip to Florida and absolutely hated the weather. It was oppressively hot, and it was only early June, and it rained every night. I don't know how typical that is for Florida, but I think of that, and hurricane season, every time I see all this stuff these houses have outside. I'm sure Floridians have contingencies for this, but it doesn't seem practical to me. I have visions of that pretty glass light fixture flailing about in the wind, and that sculpture and potted trees, not to mention all those pillows on that stupid hammock, landing in the drink. Mind you, that might be a better place for that sculpture...

Edited by Fellaway
  • Like 10

One huge reason for the open shelves, or glass doors on cabinets is for short term renters to be able to find the dishes, etc. easily (This is from Scott on Vacation House Rules).       I doubt any of the homes on this series are going to be the owners or long term renters, so open shelves with very regular cleaning crews make sense.   I'm hoping the cleaning crews will also put everything inside when the hurricane comes close, but I've read that everything is removed from the homes before sale, so there probably won't be anything movable left. 

• Like 3

The docks were too small to do much of anything.  The pergola was the only good idea out there.  The hammock sounded promising but didn't work in the end.  You need a dock to load/unload, maybe launch a paddle board and a place to sit with a cocktail or coffee and watch the boats.  It is absolutely not the place for a giant sculpture. The Twins and Keith/Evan's looked too sparse but the Baumler's and Mitch/Page's looked overcrowded. The solar panels probably added the most value but not a design element for a show like this, might help them in the end.  The balconies all kinda looked overdone/crowded to me, much like the pool deck/backyards. I think the Baumler's were the right choice for the pergola, the outdoor fireplace warming up the balcony and I loved the rock garden/bonsai tree. 

• Like 10

I was a little surprised that no one tried to add an extra story onto their dock. I live near an area with a lot of lake vacation homes and two- three- even four- story “party docks” with full outside kitchens, viewing balconies, slides into the water, etc. are a big deal. I wonder if that was a money issue, a dock size issue, or a dock structure issue (presumably you have to have a certain amount of under structure to support a second story?) Whatever it was, it sure made this week underwhelming. 

I think the twins adding the solar panels might have just won it all for themselves. That’s a huge value add, that may make it hard for the other teams to catch up. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Fellaway said:

This week, you could really see how close the other neighbors are to these two houses. I'd feel like I was in a fishbowl anytime I was on my dock or in my pool.

That describes almost any subdivision built in the last 25 years. Houses 5 feet apart, backyards like postage stamps. 

4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

One huge reason for the open shelves, or glass doors on cabinets is for short term renters to be able to find the dishes, etc. easily

That’s fine inside, but not outside where dust and bugs can be an issue.

I thought the fish cleaning area from the Baumlers was a good idea, although it wasn’t mentioned during the judging. I don’t fish or clean fish, but if you do, and lots of people staying in these houses would, the dock is the best place to deal with it.

Didn’t the judges criticize the twins front landscaping for only having one colour (which actually is a more elegant choice), but the other homes didn’t have any colours? It was a weird comment.

If I recall, two teams have $10,000 left, one team has $15,000 and the twins have $5,000. What’s left to design? From the preview, it looks like they’re going on a shopping spree. Seems like the houses are cluttered enough with accessories and equipment to me. Maybe this is a last chance “fix some negatives” opportunity. Like the team that didn’t have a bbq on the balcony or whatever.

• Like 4

My guess is that the open shelves outside won't be used, you'll be expected to drag dishes and other items outside for meals.    Open shelves outside, and all of the extra stuff will probably be removed before the houses are up for sale.  

• Like 3
15 hours ago, BryroseA said:

I think the twins adding the solar panels might have just won it all for themselves.

Please no...because we'll never hear the end of it 🙄🥱

• Applause 2
  • LOL 2

I think the twins adding the solar panels might have just won it all for themselves. That’s a huge value add, that may make it hard for the other teams to catch up. 

It definitely helped them, because the solar panels also fuel the backup batteries in case of a power outage due to a hurricane. That's huge.

I think Team Bargain Block has the best design overall, but they're the only ones without any fancy gadgets, so I don't think they'll win. The twins have the solar panels and backup batteries, Team Island Renovation added an elevator, Team Fix My Flip added a grocery elevator and have won twice by themselves. Which is a bummer, because I like them best and I like the design choices best.

• Like 4

No, Sarah. That was not a bonsai tree.

Has she ever seen actual bonsai? It's not the type of tree; it's how it's manipulated. I guess she saw a Japanese pine and thought "bonsai!" I've seen quite a few, and my favorites were not necessarily the more traditional looking ones. One was a grapevine trained into tree shape with really tiny grapes growing on it, the other was a gorgeous maple. I love bonsai. I just don't have the patience to do the necessary work to keep them going.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

Were team Bargain Block the only ones to add an extra bedroom with an ensuite on the main floor?  That might be good for the total valuation, especially if these homes are meant to be vacation rentals.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Book Junkie said:

Team Bargain Block has the best design overall

I agree.  If I had to pick a house to live in, it would be there's.  Like MartyQui said I hope the extra bedroom gives them the win.

• Like 9
(edited)

I haven't been watching this show, but I'll keep an eye out for the dock episode in reruns. We live on the water and have a dock (it's an L shape). There is a boat lift on the long side of the L. The only addition we made was a dock box to store life preservers and paddles for our kayaks. I'll be interested to see the docks.

ETA: The dock episode is rerunning on Sunday April 7. I have it set to record.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 2
On 4/3/2024 at 3:13 PM, chessiegal said:

The only addition we made was a dock box to store life preservers and paddles for our kayaks. I'll be interested to see the docks.

That would make sense as did the Baumler's fish cleaning station. Otherwise, what they did didn't make a lot of sense to me. 

• Like 3
On 4/3/2024 at 4:13 PM, chessiegal said:

I haven't been watching this show, but I'll keep an eye out for the dock episode in reruns. We live on the water and have a dock (it's an L shape). There is a boat lift on the long side of the L. The only addition we made was a dock box to store life preservers and paddles for our kayaks. I'll be interested to see the docks.

Don’t get your hopes up for anything practical to emulate for your dock. We have a cottage on a lake, and nobody clutters their docks with plants and art and pillows and swings and yoga mats and whatnot. The Rock the Block houses (like most lake houses) already have a large covered patio, a pool area, and an upper deck for outdoor seating/living. The docks (especially because they aren’t that big) are for practical purposes - boat docking and maybe the fish cleaning area. A couple chairs are okay if that’s your jam, and a storage box (which none of the teams provided).

• Like 10

We are on a small inlet off a larger body of water that empties into a river near the mouth that goes into the Chesapeake Bay. Everyone on the water has a dock, usually with boats. I've never seen anyone put furniture on them. We used to take folding chairs and a cooler down to the dock and enjoy the view. I would never put permanent furniture there. It's just going to get beat up from the weather.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I would never put permanent furniture there. It's just going to get beat up from the weather.

Or you'd be toting it all back and forth all the time. Which would be a major pain.

• Like 4

Saw the episode that included the docks. I would never put anything there that needs to be brought in. Impractical We had a neighbor at our marina that used to keep a potted tomato plant by their boat. It didn't get in the way.

I saw absolutely no hardware for tying up a boat. I thought I caught a glimpse of a cleat on the side of a supporting beam under one dock, but it went by so quickly I can't be sure. When the judges showed up on the boat, there was no way to tie it up. That's the most important thing if you plan on keeping a boat there. And if the cleats were to be on the underside, I can attest they are a PITA to use. Cleats need to be on top of the dock.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Saw the episode that included the docks. I would never put anything there that needs to be brought in. Impractical We had a neighbor at our marina that used to keep a potted tomato plant by their boat. It didn't get in the way.

I saw absolutely no hardware for tying up a boat. I thought I caught a glimpse of a cleat on the side of a supporting beam under one dock, but it went by so quickly I can't be sure. When the judges showed up on the boat, there was no way to tie it up. That's the most important thing if you plan on keeping a boat there. And if the cleats were to be on the underside, I can attest they are a PITA to use. Cleats need to be on top of the dock.

Yeah, but that wouldn't WOW the judges.

Blech.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Just caught up on the last two episodes. I know they have to wow the judges and show off stuff from sponsors but it’s too much .  No one needs 25 separate seating areas each with their own grill. We are boaters and people don’t keep more than a couple of chairs and a storage box on the dock. 
 I like the idea of using local art but wasn’t impressed with any of the pieces especially the ugly statue on the dock. And I can just imagine a storm coming in and having to run around and put away 20 cushions and other accessories. Also hated the dock hammock. It looked uncomfortable and you would be staring up at the sky. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
On 4/2/2024 at 1:45 AM, Fellaway said:

When I was a kid, I went on a class trip to Florida and absolutely hated the weather. It was oppressively hot, and it was only early June, and it rained every night. I don't know how typical that is for Florida, but I think of that, and hurricane season, every time I see all this stuff these houses have outside. I'm sure Floridians have contingencies for this, but it doesn't seem practical to me.

As a lifelong Floridian, that is exactly typical. We'll be in the 80s tomorrow. As for contingencies, those houses will probably be built with roofs with hurricane tie downs and impact windows but the insurance being right on that inlet? Yeah...

If the hurricane is coming their way, there will probably be nothing left. The Gulf side has been getting hit a lot more lately and I don't see those docks lasting, especially anything on them. Also, I hope all the buyers are friends...

The twins definitely added more value for the end but from a decorating standpoint, I did like the Baumlers this week. I always like Keith and Evan but their style isn't on trend for the HGTV crowd and especially not for somewhere it's not cold and snowy a big chunk of the year.

• Like 6

I had two shared docks on a lake and for them to build/put all kinds of furniture on them was ridiculous.  I couldn't believe it when the one team built a hammock on the side of their dock where a boat would be tied.  How does that even make sense?  Climb over the hammock to get to/from the boat?  And the sculpture?  What?  I would really like to know about building codes and permits (where I lived on the lake one couldn't build any permanent structures on the docks).  

Everything was kind of underwhelming this episode.  My biggest grip is that I really want to see the finished product for each episode and they barely show what has been done.  

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

My biggest grip is that I really want to see the finished product for each episode and they barely show what has been done.  

Drives me crazy! Spend the bulk of the hour on cutesy s**t, then rush through the reveals so quickly you get no real sense of the space.

• Like 10

I can’t deal with this show….why would the bland craft room win?  I am bummed that even when Keith and Evan shine they still don’t win.  It seemed like everyone liked their room the best other than the grout in the bathroom.  

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, alexa said:

I can’t deal with this show….why would the bland craft room win?  I am bummed that even when Keith and Evan shine they still don’t win.  It seemed like everyone liked their room the best other than the grout in the bathroom.  

Seriously. I loved their bedroom, and the caramel grout blended with the color scheme of the bedroom. I would've voted for them.

The Baumlers had a nicer bathroom, but they didn't design much at all in the bedroom. Maybe people were happy to see an uncluttered space for once. 

And that spooky black and green podcast studio? Really? I know it seems like everybody has a podcast, but does everyone need a podcast studio when they're on vacation?

• Like 11

I’m following this season here, albeit watching a few verdicts. That’s primarily because Evan and Keith are the only team that doesn’t make me 🤮.

Heres hoping the big finish is that they only win one—the one that counts. (Loved their room. The grout ding was bs. Shocked. LOL.)

• Like 8

A desk with some crafting supplies on it does not make a dual purpose craft room. Where was the bathtub in which to bathe the baby before putting to bed in the crib? I would like to have actually seen the scores, not sure I am buying that was the winning room. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1

I thought the meditation room was beautiful and a clear winner. The craft room did not look like a nursery and the bathroom wasn’t set up for a baby or child. It looked like an adult room with a crib thrown in. Also thought the music room had very little room to actually play music. 

• Like 9

I too liked Keith and Evan's room best. Then the twins. 

The preview show the property brothers there next week. I hope the show continues the tradition of determining the winner by having two or three local appraisers evaluate the properties. 

• Like 4

Yeah, that “craft” room didn’t even make sense. If it’s a craft room for an adult to indulge in a hobby, then you wouldn’t want kids’ beds and toys in there. And if it’s meant for kids to do crafts, then you wouldn’t want it way upstairs in the corner of the house, with a crib in the room where a baby would be sleep at all hours. Should have been a craft room or a kids room, but not both.

The guys room looked great, even if I didn’t care for brown as a concept. I can still appreciate that something looked good even if I wouldn’t want if myself. And I didn’t get the complaints about the grout although I agree that white grout would have looked more elegant.

In the critiques, the twins room got universal praise from all 3 teams, so I assumed it was going to win. Not even sure what, if any, criticisms there were.

Are these homes for purchase with permanent families living there, or are they rental homes? Because I don’t get needing a music, craft, meditation or media room if you’re just renting for a week.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

I hope the show continues the tradition of determining the winner by having two or three local appraisers evaluate the properties. 

Heh, yeah, but in this case, I'm afraid one of those bros claims to be a real estate guy (aka, appraiser in some realtors' minds).

• Like 3

So the Bs essentially move in some furniture, sparse furnishings at that, and do an okay bathroom... and win? Alrighty then. If that was meant to be a guest/craft room, it looked mightily uncomfortable for guests, what with that tiny bed and lack of storage.

Again, the guys got robbed. They really transformed their room, and in a way that kept it perfectly comfortable for guests and no activities taking place in it that would make them feel like they were putting out their hosts. I liked the idea of caramel grout. It fit with the design - I don't think Mr. B or Mitch have artist's eyes. - and white grout doesn't stay white for long.

I'd have given them the win, with the twins coming in second. The other two teams just moved in stuff. They didn't transform those rooms. At this point, I'm a'feared the fix is in on this show, and it isn't for the guys.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5

I thought the Baumler's "multipurpose" room was a bust. All they did was create a kids room with a craft table, that also appeared to be geared to kids. No tub was a big omit. I can't believe all the peers voted for Bryan and Sarah's. Kieth and Evan  deserved this win. They were on trend, and the room was well thought out, with neither use inhibiting the other. My next favorite was the music studio room, though they should have included a keyboard as well. I know many people who travel with their guitar, but I guess that's just because I know a lot of musicians, and this room would be much appreciated. Was it the media/podcast room that had a couch? Seems that room could have been more successful with a futon with side tables, and the podcast equipment not as central to the room - rather like a seating area on one side of the room. Even a Murphy bed would have made more sense. This was too awkward to convert for sleeping.  But I'm neither a designer nor a judge, so what do I know.

• Like 4
On 4/9/2024 at 9:32 PM, Shermie said:

Are these homes for purchase with permanent families living there, or are they rental homes? Because I don’t get needing a music, craft, meditation or media room if you’re just renting for a week.

My personal view is the homes are going to be vacation rentals.   

• Like 1

I have a stepdaughter who lives in St. Petersburg, FL. A few years ago we rented beach front condos 4 years in a row on Treasure Island. It was a great location with so much to do besides the beach and pool at the condo. When my stepdaughter only had 1 child, a 2-bedroom condo was fine for them to stay with us. After the second child came, it got a little cramped. One of these townhouses would have been great, provided it had a pool. 

I hope they bring in licensed real estate appraisers to determine the value of the houses. I'm no fan of the Scott brothers, especially when I found out they are card carrying SAG actors. I'll give them kudos for creating a successful business out of being on TV. I understand another brother is in TV production. I don't think that one of them being in the contracting business makes them experts on home values.

• Like 3

I couldn't believe a room that had a crib and was set up as a nursery/craft room won when there was no bathtub in the bathroom for the child, the room was sterile white for a kid's room, and there wasn't any place for a child to 'live' in that room other than the crib and smaller (a full size?) bed.

I think what happened is what I suspect happened on the Four Weddings show.  When the competitors are allowed to vote, they often give the highest marks to what they believe is the losing room there by hoping the marks they receive will then allow them to win (i.e. 'we'll vote for the worst room and everyone else will vote for us because ours is the best...').  I see no other explanation for how this room 'won' unless the producers didn't even consider the votes when choosing the 'winner.'

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I couldn't believe a room that had a crib and was set up as a nursery/craft room won when there was no bathtub in the bathroom for the child, the room was sterile white for a kid's room, and there wasn't any place for a child to 'live' in that room other than the crib and smaller (a full size?) bed.

I think what happened is what I suspect happened on the Four Weddings show.  When the competitors are allowed to vote, they often give the highest marks to what they believe is the losing room there by hoping the marks they receive will then allow them to win (i.e. 'we'll vote for the worst room and everyone else will vote for us because ours is the best...').  I see no other explanation for how this room 'won' unless the producers didn't even consider the votes when choosing the 'winner.'

I didn't want to say it, but if you have one couple using a "stricter" coding system than the others, all they have to do is rate everyone else enough lower so that it would swing enough points (even fractional points) in their own directon.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Interesting how Property Bro said what we all did about Keith and Evan…that their outdoor space was better than the winners, and he liked their bathroom with the meditation room.  Hmmm… 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, alexa said:

Hmmm

I think they wanted us to believe the solar panels made a $20k difference. No sale.

I never want to live in Florida, but Keith and Evan’s place? I wouldn’t say no.

• Like 9

I think I'm glad that the twins won, even if they can be over the top obnoxious. They did go overboard with the laundry rooms, however. Paige and Mike and the Baumlers are overconfident and cocky. I wanted either the twins or the boys to win. 

• Like 7

No one will ever convince me that janky hammock "adds value." Likewise, that ugly, dysfunctional table abscess in the Bs' kitchen. Between that and the curved wall, they made the kitchen look small and cramped. Actually, other than the ceiling in the living room, I didn't like their kitchen/living/dining area.

All the opened doors and windows during the walk-throughs made me think bugs, bugs, bugs.

Aesthetically, overall, I liked the twins' house the least. And there're things I'd have to fix if I bought it - the pool, the wine cooler. I mean, I don't drink, and I'd imagine I'm not the only one in the world who doesn't, so what would I do with that space? Display my Coke bottles? But, obviously they won because of the solar panels and batteries. That was a very smart move, one I think they were planning from the start given their spending in the rooms previous. On that alone, I think they deserved the win. Based on overall design, though, I'd have given it to the guys. They did indeed elevate their game from their last season.

• Like 12
5 hours ago, salvame said:

I think I'm glad that the twins won, even if they can be over the top obnoxious. They did go overboard with the laundry rooms, however. Paige and Mike and the Baumlers are overconfident and cocky. I wanted either the twins or the boys to win. 

Same!  

2 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Do we know who took 2nd place, etc?

My guess is Keith and Evan for the extra bedroom, but we don’t know for sure.

• Like 1

I’m glad the twins won although I don’t really like their design aesthetic. I liked the guys space the best. If I were buying this to live in or use for a rental I think my first priorities would be having a few bedrooms. People who have kids or people who travel with friends need separate bedrooms. I would make the closets smaller but with more room to hang clothes and more storage space for clothes rather than champagne bars or fireplaces. I thought the primary bedroom spaces all seemed kind of small compared to the giant bathrooms and closets. 

I would also like a library and writing space and a media room with a big screen TV. As far as outdoor space, all the houses looked cluttered to me and I would want a more peaceful place to look at the water. I thought they all had too much stuff outside; if it is a vacation rental people aren’t having parties with 100 guests.

• Like 6