Type keyword(s) to search

Rock The Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Ty looks like he's been rode hard and put away wet. Ugh.

Yeah, there's a reason they all stand so far away from him. And its not just covid precautions.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
On 3/27/2022 at 5:20 PM, Cetacean said:

Yes.

In their defense they are way used to a totally different audience with their homes in the rundown areas of Detroit.  They take tiny, dilapidated places, fix them up, furnish them with second hand furniture, and rarely resell for over $100K.  People in that money bracket have totally different mindsets. 

They are just in over their heads with these kind of McMansions and over the top expectations.

Agree to all.  Keith and Evan are at the totally opposite ends of what the other three teams do.  I want to believe that HGTV wanted them to do this to give "Bargain Block" more exposure.  I really enjoy their show and hope there's a Season 2.

It'd be nice if the buyer who bought their house buys it because they did it.  They have a distinctive style and story, but that's where their popularity comes from.

Based on the this, I'm never watching "Unsellable Houses." The twins grate like nails on a chalkboard.  They think they're too cool for school.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Ohmo said:

Agree to all.  Keith and Evan are at the totally opposite ends of what the other three teams do.  I want to believe that HGTV wanted them to do this to give "Bargain Block" more exposure.  I really enjoy their show and hope there's a Season 2.

The main problem of HGTV is that it's not hard to be the total opposite of "designers" like the other competition on Rock the Block. There is so little the distinguish one from another that it's not worth looking. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

The main problem of HGTV is that it's not hard to be the total opposite of "designers" like the other competition on Rock the Block. There is so little the distinguish one from another that it's not worth looking. 

They don’t fit the mold! (Early on, Erin and Ben also weren’t on the white and grey train.)

I watch if there’s a team I like (Nate & Jeremiah, Egypt and Mike). Otherwise, HGTV buys four McMansions in a start up subdivision and drops messy Ty and four shows worth of teams into it, plus more shows represented by judges. If the ratings are decent, I have to believe the person with that idea got promoted.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/2/2022 at 6:59 PM, Ohmo said:

It'd be nice if the buyer who bought their house buys it because they did it.  They have a distinctive style and story, but that's where their popularity comes from.

Based on the this, I'm never watching "Unsellable Houses." The twins grate like nails on a chalkboard.  They think they're too cool for school.

I like the Bargain Block guys too and enjoyed their show so far. Also, I like what they're doing. Some of those homes are forgotten gems and it's nice to see them occupied instead of boarded up or torn down. Keith is truly...imaginative.

It's funny, because I've watched Unsellable Houses (not religiously, just if I'm flipping channels looking for something/anything) and the twins never bothered me as much as they do on this show. All their cutesy little antics are obnoxious here. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
53 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

When I see promos for new series and the remodels look the same as all the other remodels (white kitchens, open concepts), I pass on the series.

You must not watch much HGTV then. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, CynicalGirl said:

I like the Bargain Block guys too and enjoyed their show so far. Also, I like what they're doing. Some of those homes are forgotten gems and it's nice to see them occupied instead of boarded up or torn down.

I agree.  The are truly doing a service to struggling communities in a city attempting a comeback. I was born and raised in Detroit so I appreciate the efforts they are making.  It's a huge boost to low income people to have somewhat affordable housing available especially with furnishings included.  Most of their places go for under $100K which is still a lot for someone working minimum wage but is way more doable than what we normally see on HGTV shows.

Frankly I wouldn't buy any of the homes on this show.  Three of the four look exactly the same to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 3/30/2022 at 3:14 PM, LittleIggy said:

Ty probably has a pint bottle of hooch in his back pocket.

And a full case under the bridge he calls home when travelling.

3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I agree.  The are truly doing a service to struggling communities in a city attempting a comeback.

And unlike many of the other shows, they are not overpricing homes to the point of gentrifying neighbourhoods, making homes unaffordable to the original inhabitants.

• Love 8
(edited)

My guess is whoever HGTV wants to promote will win.   Calling this a competition is wrong, it's just a long ad for the shows of the participants.   

So, this time, the appraisals determine a winner, but we don't see them.   Judges are Drew Scott, and Mika and Brian from 100 Day Dream Home.   This week the third floor bonus room.   

I still don't like Dave and Jenny having the kitchen island face what will be the neighbor's house someday.  I still dislike the boring pink color on the exterior, it looks faded out.   The slide from the third floor to the kid's room is strange, and no bathroom for the third floor would be a deal breaker for me. 

The twins nursery paint fiasco wasn't a good look, and I really dislike the rust colored walls with the scallops.    I still dislke the iced tea bar, and the other bar right next to the fireplace.  

Keith and Evan, what are those triangular tiny shelves supposed to be for?  They look useless to me.    An in-house wellness room is a big fail for me.     I don't like the exterior color scheme.    I still hate the sail cloth wall art above the main bedroom bed.   Their FROG is such a mixture of different colors and patterns, and I don't like it. 

The only fail on Egypt and Mike's house for me is the second pantry location, and the barn doors on the main suite bathroom.    I love their en suite with the nursery.   I really love they attached the garage to the house. 

My guess is in the neighborhood they're in, there won't be any short term rentals, or even long-term for the FROG, but it will be the nanny's suite.   

If anyone but Egypt and Mike win, I'll be very ticked.  

The winners are: Egypt and Mike.   To me they were the obvious winners. 

I don't think that HGTV will ever have anyone who doesn't have a current show on their network as a contestant, because this show is just a way to promote shows, and increase viewers. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 14

Well, that was a shocker. Not. 

Congrats to Egypt and Mike. Well deserved.

I liked being swept through all the houses, seeing how they flowed. Surprised the judges knew who won what rooms. Not exactly an impartial competition, huh? Blind judging would be more fair.

Maars: Nice work. Airy and bright. Beautiful but generic and kinda boring. That slide locks the buyers into those with young kids or people who don't mind tearing out a giant slide and repairing a giant hole in the floor. Still don't like the blah pink, the dumb dog boat, and how a corner of the vanity blocked their tub. I noticed that at least two of the houses didn't have railings on the staircases.

Twins: Over-decorated and too much stuff, but good to see some color. I liked the map wall and the plant wall. Their bedroom and its bath were very good, but Mika was right about too many patterns.

Keith and Evan: I was glad to see they got a lot of praise from the judges. I mostly loved but also cringed over their house. Their living room is still my favorite even though the couches I thought were pink somehow turned to rust, lol. The sail cloth installation has strangely grown on me, much like the dust bunnies will grow in its folds. I even liked the mural, mainly for the hanging birds that gave it dimension. The spa seemed like a good idea but the yellow was too bright. The candle wall brought back memories of Mr. Multiple Minimal, Vern Yip. Their bathroom was magnificent. Overall, they are a much needed antidote to the HGTV world of bland white subway tiles.

Egypt and Mike: The clear winners. Should have also won the kitchen comp! Their living room verged on too much white but the black accents on the fireplace wall saved it. I especially liked the Juliet balcony, the theater room and the gorgeous master bath.

Million dollar houses? Mmm...okay, if you don't mind living in a sea of look-alikes. Do they sell them furnished?

Someone nominated the Boise Boys for the next season. Yes, please.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Yes!!! Hooray! Egypt and Mike for the win! I don't know who did the actual appraisals, but adding a whole house generator was a huge bonus in the South Carolina low country. After Hurricane Hugo many towns in that part of the state were without power for some time. The "judges" didn't even mention it. As for not adding a fence... the houses on either side had fences along the property lines that could be tied into with gates near the front of the lot if the buyer chooses to do so and Egypt and Mike had a water view. Big selling point. A wrought iron fence could be added along there to not block the view. IMO, their house had the most appeal for a broader buyer pool than the others. I mean, not everyone has small children that would like a slide and those small children won't be small for long. Putting something like that in a house limits your buyer pool as does a "spa" room.

I could see whoever buys the house with the sailcloth "art" installation removing it on the day they close. Plus, I would guess that all the staging will be removed unless a buyer wants to pay for the furnishings so even Egypt and Mike's nursery could easily be redecorated for a teenager. I do agree the their outdoor kitchen area would have been improved with some type of overhead covering, even pergola style.

• Love 10
(edited)

Yay for Egypt and Mike! Well done! 🥳 Yeah, wonder why none of the judges mentioned the generator. That would be a godsend in that hurricane/storm prone part of the country. And, hey, Jenny and Ballcap Guy’s outdoor kitchen didn’t have a covering either. Their house was too family with small kids specific. Can’t believe that trundle bed was praised once again. 
I still can’t believe Keith and Evan’s dust trap feature wall was praised. I did like their nursery, especially the flamingos hanging over the crib. I liked their living room too except for the weird light fixture. It looked like a pompom.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3
(edited)

Mike & Egypt—check! They didn’t mention the whole house generator or the attached garage?! No shit they won.

Brian wins the lame comment contest. Shocker. A sweet tea station isn’t genius, dude. And the shmata sculpture is the coolest feature you’ve ever seen in your life, maybe get out of Florida. Mika managed to see the same house, made better comments. 

This did cure me of watching the twins show, so thanks for that.

Edited by buttersister
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Yes yes yes, it seemed to us too that adding the generator in that area, and the attached garage, nearly decided the thing by themselves.  Surely the judges mentioned that generator in their conversations, and it jarred a lot of us when we didn't hear about it.  That plus a lot of good, but not super-quirky, ideas and great carpentry, were sure to take it.

You want to be distinctive, sure, but at the end of the day these are still spec houses, and some of the "cool" ideas were sure to turn off a good number of buyers.  

• Love 7

With the contestants moving powder rooms, pantries, laundry facilities, islands, did anyone watching the show find themselves thinking "if this should really be over there and this shouldn't be here why were they put there in the first place?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

The right team won, based on adding value. All brick, attached garage and whole-house generator certainly put Egypt & Mike over the top. As far as design, my thinking is often "what could be removed easily?" The sailcloth wall, for example, probably could come down, and wall colors that I wouldn't pick can be redone. 

Marrs -- They need to remember that not all (not even most) buyers are large families with young kids, just like them! These are not really starter homes that a lot of young families can afford. Removing and repairing the slide space is gonna be a big deal! No family with teens, college-aged kids or multi-generational with aging parents would want such a kid-centric focus.

Detroit guys -- Points for creativity. The fireplace and that round shower were kinda cool. The spa could be be repainted a soothing color and made into a workout room/home gym. Decorative wall features can be removed.

Twins -- Hated the iced tea station (don't most folks BOIL water to make iced tea?) and the wet bar to one side of the fireplace. They do like color and clutter. Their personalities just grated too much for me.

Edited by RowdyCam
  • Love 11
(edited)

I think the right team won too. I notice they don’t show other bedrooms besides the master and any bonus rooms. I imagine they didn’t put much money there but I like seeing how bedrooms are decorated. I can’t imagine too many people wanting a slide that will only be used for a few years and only with families with small kids. I hated the wall with 100 tea lights. Who is going to light all those? I can’t see having a massage table in my house either.

I liked the houses that had color because I don’t like all white but I also like hanging art work so I wouldn’t want accent walls that you couldn’t decorate.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I liked the houses that had color because I don’t like all white but I also like hanging art work so I wouldn’t want accent walls that you couldn’t decorate.

Me, too. I also hate open concept because there are less walls for my art. 

• Love 6

Hate open concept.

Hate bathrooms the size of a garage especially with a big, honking tub in the middle of the room

Hate white and gray.

Hate fireplaces in a climate where the temps mean they are rarely, if ever, used.

Hate child-centric houses.

Love whole house generator.  That's the one think I couldn't live without where I am.

I wouldn't give you $50 for any of those let alone over a million.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 4/5/2022 at 9:15 AM, RowdyCam said:

Twins -- Hated the iced tea station (don't most folks BOIL water to make iced tea?) and the wet bar to one side of the fireplace. They do like color and clutter. Their personalities just grated too much for me.

Good point about the iced tea method.   Even my relatives from the North boil the water, and dissolve the sugar, and steep the tea bags to the desired level of tea.     That iced tea station was useless.    

I'm so glad that the right team won, the attached garage, whole house generator, and the upgrade on the house, to make four en suites was genius.   Mike and Egypt really delivered.   It will be interesting to see which of the houses sell first, and for how much.   I would love to see what the buyers will remove, or redecorate.  

I wonder how that slide on Dave and Jenny's kid's room held up after many of the adults used it?   Both Seattle ladies used it, Drew Scott, I think Dave Marrs, and who knows how many others.   I hope that slide was properly secured.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I agree the right team won. They made the best decisions related to resale value. However, kudos to the Bargain Block guys for their commitment to artistic design. I didn’t love all of their choices, but most of it was gorgeous. I think the rose design on the master bedroom wall was unexpected; if it had been painted by Keith instead of a fabric application it would have been just as pretty but with a lot less potential for messiness. I’ve noticed he does weird things like that on their show— one time it was branches on the headboard. I’m always worried about cobwebs and spiders. The meditation room will make an excellent home gym for someone. I would have used mirrors on the long wall instead of those pointed wood pieces. I would also have installed a ballet bar across it. It’s great for stretching and to check your form. Working out in front of a mirror helps to make sure you’re exercising correctly.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, kikicat said:

I liked being swept through all the houses, seeing how they flowed. Surprised the judges knew who won what rooms. Not exactly an impartial competition, huh? Blind judging would be more fair.

I didn't think the judges should have even known whose house was whose.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, kikicat said:

Million dollar houses? Mmm...okay, if you don't mind living in a sea of look-alikes. Do they sell them furnished?

Well, living in Florida, yeah, that pricing was about right, especially now.

Saunas and steam rooms in Charleston...yeah, okay. I notice Egypt & Mike didn't do that because they know what the weather is like. Agree with everyone about screened in porch - what were Dave and Jenny thinking putting all that outdoor kitchen stuff in the middle of the yard with no cover??? Then again, they put in that slide.

I agree with the win although everyone's houses looked better put all together.

• Love 4
On 4/4/2022 at 7:32 AM, Cetacean said:

I agree.  The are truly doing a service to struggling communities in a city attempting a comeback. I was born and raised in Detroit so I appreciate the efforts they are making.  It's a huge boost to low income people to have somewhat affordable housing available especially with furnishings included.  Most of their places go for under $100K which is still a lot for someone working minimum wage but is way more doable than what we normally see on HGTV shows.

Frankly I wouldn't buy any of the homes on this show.  Three of the four look exactly the same to me.

Not to mention how much it helps the neighbors. So sad to see one or two nicely maintained houses on a block filled with boarded up places. It just encourages squatters and crime and who wants to live next door to that?

Also, seeing the comments about The Twins, if HGTV was trying to promote their show, putting them on Rock the Block sure didn't help! lol

• Love 9

I really didn't like the way Jenny and Dave (did I finally get their names?) designed their ground floor. It felt like a big empty white box. That'll be so noisy when they get a bunch of kids in there (which was the main preoccupation of their design) with all the sound bouncing off the walls.

Seeing it again, I liked the Detroit guys' living room even more. It seems inviting and cozy. I also like the one guy's mural better than the one professional painter the other two brought in did.

Hated the slide. It wasted so much space in two rooms.

I don't understand why everybody was going on about water views, when that was not an appealing view to me. Looked like a drainage canal.

• Love 11

Well thank goodness that Egypt and Mike won! I’m still upset over that stupid bowling alley winning last time. Ice tea station? Did you notice that there was a faucet but no sink? The slide was stupid and who the heck wants giant showers with no doors! Or coverings? When multiple people are using the same bathroom, it would be nice to have just a little privacy.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, carrps said:

Oh, and I was rather puzzled that people were putting a nursery on the third floor by itself. Would most parents do/like this?

The nursery was on the 2nd floor with the other bedrooms. The bonus room was the 3rd floor. I love the idea of a media room up there. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
40 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

The nursery was on the 2nd floor with the other bedrooms. The bonus room was the 3rd floor. I love the idea of a media room up there. 

Yeah, I realized that later when my sister was watching it. My bad.

On edit: I also really like the media/movie room up there. I especially liked Mike and Egypt's dark, moody cinema room.

Edited by carrps
  • Love 2

I agree with everyone that Mike and Egypt deserved the win. But, I was glad that Keith and Evan got some well-deserved kudos. The judges loved their backyard, and so did I. Brian said it was his favorite backyard. I also thought the mural that Keith painted in the nursery was gorgeous!

• Love 7
21 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The massage table made me think “Do most people have a masseur/masseuse who makes house calls regularly?” 

I guess if you can afford a million dollar house, you can have a masseuse make house calls. :)

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/5/2022 at 9:15 AM, RowdyCam said:

I think the idea of an iced tea station, cuz this is the South, y'all, was kind of dumb. Yes, we drink iced tea, but not to the exception of everything else. Iced tea doesn't need a station. It needs a pitcher, some ice, and some sliced lemon. Coffee stations are just as popular here as they are elsewhere. I didn't do more than laugh about it, because that area could easily be a coffee station for whoever buys the place.

As for boiling water to make iced tea, yes. That's one way to do it, but there's also "sun tea," where you put water and a bunch of teabags into a glass container and let it sit in the sun for an hour or two. I haven't made sun tea in a long time, so I can't remember the water:teabag ratio, but it works well. I have no idea if that's a Southern thing, or just a thing.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 4

I agree with everyone who said E&M were the clear winners:
- all brick exterior
- whole house generator
- extra square footage and not having to go outside to get to your garage

Those things alone made that house the clear winner.

The things I didn't like about it - too much white, too modern - could easily be fixed.

Dave and Jenny were ridiculous with the slide.  That was just stupid. I love them and love their show (it's my current second favorite after Erin and Ben's) but Jenny's recent obsession with light pink is cringe-worthy.

I adored the color and most of what the twins did to the house, but it didn't add that much value overall.  I really agreed with Drew's point about them getting rid of the view in the FROG.  I love the color, and the contrast, though. I still think their exterior was the prettiest.

The Detroit guys... I just can't even.  I admire their creativity and hard work, but I just can't see living in a space they design, even if I like the looks of some of it.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

I have no idea if that's a Southern thing, or just a thing.

Definitely A Thing!  
I live in the coastal PNW, and we don't get much sun. When we do, I am chasing it with my pitcher of water + teabags.

Edited by kirklandia
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

It was lovely to see full walkthroughs of all of the houses - it really made the Detroit boys’ house shine much more than the piecemeal room-by-room judging approach does. One thing I’ve noticed across the seasons is that no one ever seems to go *back* to a space to fix/add something the judges critique. Are they not allowed to do that? I’d have thought that Keith and Evan, for example, might have wanted another run at that main bedroom closet. 

The twins were definitely an.noy.ing with all of their antics, but the thing that bugged me the most was they clearly read, like, one article about Charleston and then decided that qualified them to add Charleston tourist-caricature level stuff to their house. And then the judges were clearly directed to lean into that & praise it because it was the only unique thing about their design. Seriously, a sweet tea bar??? An oyster roast oven??? We don’t live in a foghorn leghorn cartoon, y’all. I could almost see the thought bubble above the one twin all “Well, in a NORMAL house, we’d put a coffee bar here, but this is the South and what are we pretty sure we once saw Paula Deen drinking? A sweet tea bar! Genius!” 😂

Edited by BryroseA
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

As for boiling water to make iced tea, yes. That's one way to do it, but there's also "sun tea," where you put water and a bunch of teabags into a glass container and let it sit in the sun for an hour or two. I haven't made sun tea in a long time, so I can't remember the water : teabag ratio, but it works well. I have no idea if that's a Southern thing, or just a thing.

It’s a thing all over. My northern NY (close enough to spit and hit Canada) mom used to make Sun tea all the time when I was a kid. 

Definitely think the right team won. Egypt and Mike made smart decisions to make the home appeal to a ton of different buyers. That being said, there would be ZERO chance of me spending almost a million dollars on a home that was exactly like my neighbors. (And, let’s be honest, in the end, the houses are all basically the same. They’re just finished and decorated slightly differently.)

• Love 4
On 4/5/2022 at 8:18 AM, Dehumidifier said:

With the contestants moving powder rooms, pantries, laundry facilities, islands, did anyone watching the show find themselves thinking "if this should really be over there and this shouldn't be here why were they put there in the first place?"

I was thinking about that, too. And how the teams were handling all the work of adding plumbing, etc. Did they ever show any of that actually happening?

Seems like they definitely had to plan the whole renovation at once, then re-route wiring and plumbing at the same time. So that's why they were all wearing the same clothes throughout. A lot of piecemeal cutting and editing was done to put the show together in one-room-at-a-time order.

My dream home now includes a library, a movie room, floating flamingos, and several art gallery walls. Just gotta make that million first!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I really didn’t see what was wrong with the Detroit boys’ closet. I guess that’s because I don’t have a clothes/shoes fetish and don’t need a pimped out closet.

The older I get the more I realize that there can be too much storage in a house. If you have the space to put something you don’t need to make any decisions on whether or not to keep it. I have too many clothes in my closet that I haven’t worn in years and my closet isn’t even that big.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I can’t imagine why this show allows Ty to be the host when he’s such an unkempt slob. He needs a shower, shave, haircut and some decent clothes that are clean and that fit him. Geez, isn’t that the least we deserve?

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, kikicat said:

I was thinking about that, too. And how the teams were handling all the work of adding plumbing, etc. Did they ever show any of that actually happening?

Michael and Ashley from Restoring Galveston said on their Instagram that quite often the plumbing isn't finished by the time filming wraps up. The film crews need to spend as little time as possible on site so less sexy stuff like plumbing is omitted. They've shared on their Instagram clips where they go back after filming and redo some things. And according to Ashley that's quite common in the HGTV shows.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

I too thought Egypt and Mike deserved the win - all brick house, the attached garage and mud room, and most bedrooms/bathrooms. The non-fenced backyard was a minus, but that's easily fixable.

Jenny & Dave's laundry room was a win. But the slide would be a huge minus for most families - even families with kids. The slide goes down to one of the bedrooms. So if there are two or more kids, I pity the child whose room is the slide end point because their siblings will be constantly intruding into their space. And for anyone who doesn't have kids, that hole in the floor will be a big project.

I don't remember - were previous seasons longer than an hour? This one seemed rushed. I don't want to see a lot of melodrama or anything, but I would have liked more time showing the relationship of the houses to the lake, a better sense of how one would get from the garage to the house, the floor plans of the house, etc. For instance, when Jenny and Dave converted the loft to the laundry room, we didn't know if there was any other possible hang-out space. I probably missed it, but I didn't realize the masters were on the first floor until the last episode. I like the show at an hour, but if it's an hour I'd rather they only have 3 teams competing.

My favorite part of the last episode is seeing the teams look at their competitor's work.

Edited to add: In response to a previous post, I think it wasn't Dave and Jenny's island that would face a future neighbor's house, but the kitchen sink window. That didn't bother me because I've had sinks in that situation and if there's a fence with bamboo or other plantings or a fountain in front of it, it's still nice to look outside while you're at the sink, even if it's only a 4-8 foot view.

Edited by Kip1
  • Love 2