Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Camera Wheelbarrow Tiger Pillow

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

As Jo and Chris attempt to identify the sinister forces coming after Piper, a mysterious man hinders their search and brings danger too close to home. Meanwhile, Abby works with Piper to trigger her lost memory, while Jo makes a shrewd deal with Benny to secure Piper’s future safety.

2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I'm less convinced now than I was after the pilot that the right-hand dude is going to betray her...but I still wouldn't be shocked if he does

Nah. You mean the other cop, right? He’s just not that bright, IMO. Hopefully he’s not in the Too Stupid To Live category, although that might happen at the end of the season.

So the best bit for me was when they showed next week’s previews and I LOLed when I saw frickin’

Spoiler

John Locke!!

hahaha!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Hammer Head

The Ex-Husband seems very possessive and regretting that they are no longer married. They need to explain what happened. Ex-Husband just walks in like he owns the place, he has a key.

Cop Guy was right outside the house when Creeper Guy snuck right past him. Where were you Cop Guy? Answer the question! And why are you asking so many questions you are making me suspicious? Creeper Guy almost killed you so you have to be one of the good guys.  

That curved hallway with the bookcase, pretty cool huh.

Piper's room is on the 3rd floor in the attic. What! Your going to paint over all the fancy artwork. What a waste! Even if it is green.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Jo/Ex Husband is much better than Jo/Reporter so far. The reporter is just SUCH a cliche. I think we're supposed to see chemistry in their banter but I can see that we're supposed to see chemistry there instead of actually seeing chemistry there, if you know what I mean.

This X 1000000...the reporter guy is just... Blrghhh... And its seems so obvious that he's meant to be rougish and charming.. And she's supposed to be initially dismissive but come around... No thanks

• Love 13

The "science" in this show doesn't add up, and I hate whenshows get lazy. Yes, there are supernatural elements that don't have to adhere to earthly rules, but if you're going to use earthly rules, they have to be consistent. I'm referring to the magnetism.

Jo's badge instantly draws to the magic magnetic car, but her belt, buttons, shoelace eyelets, etc are not pulled. Ditto for the gun, which was yanked from the hand, but nothing else. The magnetism is so strong it pulled all the tools onto the car, but ignores little metal items. Or maybe the magic magnetic car chooses the items it wants. 🙄

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Shermie said:

The "science" in this show doesn't add up, and I hate whenshows get lazy. Yes, there are supernatural elements that don't have to adhere to earthly rules, but if you're going to use earthly rules, they have to be consistent. I'm referring to the magnetism.

Jo's badge instantly draws to the magic magnetic car, but her belt, buttons, shoelace eyelets, etc are not pulled. Ditto for the gun, which was yanked from the hand, but nothing else. The magnetism is so strong it pulled all the tools onto the car, but ignores little metal items. Or maybe the magic magnetic car chooses the items it wants. 🙄

I just let it go since she had a watch on the arm that she stuck in the car to play with the bolt.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Shermie said:

Jo's badge instantly draws to the magic magnetic car, but her belt, buttons, shoelace eyelets, etc are not pulled.

One word: plastic.

I thought of you guys when the Evil Man found Piper's tracker in the drain trap. I hope he put the drain back together before he bailed out the window.

I like this show very much, it keeps my interest from start to finish. I like that all the characters look like normal people, especially Jo. The only question I had this episode was, what happened to Jo's cop partner when he was adjusting the CC and Evil Man approached him. Next scene, Evil Man was inside. I expected to see Cop Partner knocked out or something. Hey show, how did Evil Man get in the house?

The house was mentioned last week ... the outside view is the exact house style I grew up in. Almost all the neighborhood homes were this style, identical. It's not an expensive house, for those wondering. The inside rooms, however, are not in that house, they are a stage set. That style house has four downstairs rooms, all square, all equal: kitchen, dining room, living room, front room that contains the steps to the second level. Piper's bedroom, however, matches the attic of that home style with the dormer windows and sloped ceilings.

I'm with you, @shapeshifter, I about fell off my chair when they showed next week’s previews and I saw frickin’ ... tune in next week to find out!

Got a kick out of gas being $2.59 wherever this was filmed.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I really like this show, unlike a lot of these "desperately wants to be Lost" shows it seems to actually be heading somewhere and not just spinning its wheels being needlessly mysterious. . . . 

Piper seems genuinely confused by what is going on most of the time with her powers and her past, but she certainly knows more than what she is saying. 

I hope they have figured out what Piper's deal is and aren't just making it up as they go along, because that is the only part that is giving me that feeling so far. 

• Love 5

I'm still enjoying this. I agree with everyone on the cast, the story being more solid than Manifest, and wondering why she and her ex-husband are no longer together, because I like that they get along so well. I'm afraid they will get to a point where he's taking his daughter away, because she's in danger in the house - you know, big family drama that most TV writers run right towards. 

I missed what happened to the creepy guy. I'm also glad that Piper admitted she's afraid that she caused the crashes. She trusts her enough to speak up (and might worry about hurting them). 

• Love 10

Could someone explain the last scene with the fisherman/salvage guy, the cop and the magnetized (sort of) car?  Does this indicate that they were somehow helping the hammered guy complete his task of getting rid of the car?  Or, were they hiding the car for their own reasons, and expecting to retrieve it later?
I'm enjoying it quite a bit, except for the plot device/.reporter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

Could someone explain the last scene with the fisherman/salvage guy, the cop and the magnetized (sort of) car?  Does this indicate that they were somehow helping the hammered guy complete his task of getting rid of the car?  Or, were they hiding the car for their own reasons, and expecting to retrieve it later?

I thought they were getting rid of the car so that that there would be nothing that would indicate that Piper was anything except a normal little girl. The newspaper article explained what happened to Piper and why she was staying with Jo (just routine stuff, nothing out of the ordinary). Anybody that came snooping around for Piper now must know there is something special about her.

• Love 16
49 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

I'm LOST.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, preeya said:

I'm LOST.

Nooo! 😄 Not Lost. Just this:

13 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought they were getting rid of the car so that that there would be nothing that would indicate that Piper was anything except a normal little girl. The newspaper article explained what happened to Piper and why she was staying with Jo (just routine stuff, nothing out of the ordinary). Anybody that came snooping around for Piper now must know there is something special about her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Shermie said:

The strength of the magnetic field was incredibly inconsistent but they were consistent about it being weak enough to be easily overcome by human strength. Jo’s badge, the sledgehammer and the tow hook were only able to move to the point they were being held. The guns were only attracted to the car once they were dropped. 

20 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The Ex-Husband seems very possessive and regretting that they are no longer married. They need to explain what happened.

Yeah, they haven't explained anything about the husband so far at all. How they met, what's his job or any indication of why they broke up. I love me some Donald Faison, but he and the female lead have zero romantic chemistry to me. It improved from the pilot, but I get 'friend' at best from those two. If they want to sell 'regret breaking up', they have long road for that. 

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The only question I had this episode was, what happened to Jo's cop partner when he was adjusting the CC and Evil Man approached him. Next scene, Evil Man was inside. I expected to see Cop Partner knocked out or something.

Same here. I actually thought the deputy had betrayed her! What Mystery Man said to the deputy outside of the house sounded to me like the opening of a bribe offer.  Hope the deputy stays good, I like him. 

Never seen the female lead before, but she's doing amazing. Loving the whole cast.  Immediate 'series add' to DVR for me. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I expected to see Cop Partner knocked out or something. Hey show, how did Evil Man get in the house?

This is my big question, too.

They did show all kinds of small metal objects stuck to the outside of the car-- washers, bolts, etc. But INSIDE the car, those same objects floated.

I think it's more thriller than sci fi.

• Love 4

I thought the Cop Partner at the house was going to be found dead. That was a very strange sequence, almost like a scene or part of a scene was cut, unless the intention is to make Cop Partner suspicious.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Rickster said:

I thought the Cop Partner at the house was going to be found dead. That was a very strange sequence, almost like a scene or part of a scene was cut, unless the intention is to make Cop Partner suspicious.

Maybe Cop Partner got one of those bead neck implants while he was sleeping, and Evil Dude activated it to do some sort of mind wipe.
Yeah, I've watched too much bad scifi.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Yeah. I agree that the thing with her partner was weird and will be revisited in the future. I suspect he is not long for this world. It was a clunky and almost obvious setup for something later.

• Love 4
On 10/2/2019 at 5:44 AM, UNOSEZ said:

This X 1000000...the reporter guy is just... Blrghhh... And its seems so obvious that he's meant to be rougish and charming.. And she's supposed to be initially dismissive but come around... No thanks

Huh, I thought he was supposed to be dickish and irritating - but I guess I'm reading my reactions into the writers' intent. 😉 Though to be fair, I love Yeoman, dickish or not.

19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Piper seems genuinely confused by what is going on most of the time with her powers and her past, but she certainly knows more than what she is saying. 

I think she's being truthful that she doesn't remember most things, given that flashback scared her enough to tear the pages out of the memory journal (loved how they subtly showed Jo noting the pages had been torn out - so I'm sure it will come back around). But of course, she knows enough to get the glowy thing out of her neck .

42 minutes ago, Rickster said:

When he said "I'm sorry, I messed up" to Jo when things were winding down at the house, I thought a scene had been cut too.

When the bearded guy got the glowy thing out of the U joint, I remembered the comments last week. Also, it lets me know, at least tentatively, that some of the things we see that we might think of as errors, just might be important to the plot.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Huh, I thought he was supposed to be dickish and irritating - but I guess I'm reading my reactions into the writers' intent.

That's how I see the journalist too, not as a love interest or charming or anything of the sort. Just maybe someone who can help Jo from the other side of the populace, and someone she can trust.

I don't see any love triangle or love anything on this show between Jo and anyone else, even the ex. I appreciate that. Even the ex can be a helpful pal, like the writer guy.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

They did show all kinds of small metal objects stuck to the outside of the car-- washers, bolts, etc. But INSIDE the car, those same objects floated.

It's an Alien Magnetic Field, forces beyond our mere mortal comprehension.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 10/2/2019 at 12:57 AM, AnimeMania said:

That curved hallway with the bookcase, pretty cool huh.

I agree! Loved it.

Piper is a cipher. It seems to me that at certain times something takes over her and she does things she does not remember. Like cutting the tracker out. and the scribbles on the memory journal that she tore out.

Also, when she was sitting on the staircase eavesdropping, it was like she heard something in the wall. Just kind of weird.

Edited by margol29
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, margol29 said:

Piper is a cipher ...

Also, when she was sitting on the staircase eavesdropping, it was like she heard something in the wall. Just kind of weird.

I thought it was the nails in the wall trying to come out - like her magnetic powers were acting up again when she was scared.

• Useful 4
  • Love 18
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I thought it was the nails in the wall trying to come out - like her magnetic powers were acting up again when she was scared.

Yes, now that you mention it, I could see that.(palm to the forehead).

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Dani said:

The strength of the magnetic field was incredibly inconsistent but they were consistent about it being weak enough to be easily overcome by human strength. Jo’s badge, the sledgehammer and the tow hook were only able to move to the point they were being held. The guns were only attracted to the car once they were dropped. 

Yet the magnetic attraction was strong enough to alter the flight of a bullet. A lead and copper jacketed, non-magnetic bullet. With that strong of a magnetic field, I'm guessing the car is currently attached to the bottom of the salvager's boat.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
Just now, TWOPrefugee said:

Yet the magnetic attraction was strong enough to alter the flight of a bullet. A lead and copper jacketed, non-magnetic bullet. With that strong of a magnetic field, I'm guessing the car is currently attached to the bottom of the salvager's boat.

It was incredibly inaccurate but they were consistent on what objects were affected. 

Considered there is a sci-fi element to the show I’m giving them leeway on the science as long as they are relatively consistent. 

22 hours ago, mandigirl said:

Yeah, they haven't explained anything about the husband so far at all. How they met, what's his job or any indication of why they broke up. I love me some Donald Faison, but he and the female lead have zero romantic chemistry to me. It improved from the pilot, but I get 'friend' at best from those two. If they want to sell 'regret breaking up', they have long road for that. 

I'm getting the romantic feelings from him, but I get nothing in return from her.  My theory is that she ended their relationship for whatever reason and he's the one who can't let go.  That's why he's so willing to rush right back into her life at the hint of uncertainty with Piper all under the guise that he's protecting their daughter.  

What annoys me is that he isn't more angry that she put their daughters life in danger bringing Piper into the house.  She volunteered to take this kid in before she even had an idea of how serious the situation really was.  He made one comment about it and she shot him down and made it seem like he was the bad guy for even raising any concern.

I think the show is trying too hard to make her ex be understanding of the situation because most of the time TV shows portray ex's as hating each other and they obviously want to go the opposite direction, but the guy has a reason to be upset and he should butt heads with her a little more about Piper.

• Love 5

When the creep approached the house he was talking about real estate and wanted to discuss a price with the owner.  I thought the officer bought it because it was such a direct approach, and then let him in to talk to the grandfather.  That's why he was apologizing.  If so, it was a serious error in judgment.

This is keeping me interested to far.  As others have commented, the coroner and the salvage guy were good additions.  And I agree with avoiding any kind of triangle with the reporter.  If he is just a mildly obnoxious supporting character, so be it.

It is throwing me off to see Clancy Brown playing a character who is both nice and normal.

In the pilot, the daughter made an offhand comment about not getting a little sibling because her parents split up.  Jo's look when she said that was a little startled and uncomfortable.  I wondered if that was a hint to the source of the break-up.  Or, it could be career priorities, since the ex is clearly in a lucrative business that may be based elsewhere, and Jo is clearly set on being chief in this community.

Good lines in this episode: "I basically ate the flu" and "...because his face broke."

• Love 15
26 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

When the creep approached the house he was talking about real estate and wanted to discuss a price with the owner.  I thought the officer bought it because it was such a direct approach, and then let him in to talk to the grandfather.  That's why he was apologizing.  If so, it was a serious error in judgment.

With the way that scene was shot I thought that the creep knocked out the officer and a scene was cut. The way the guy said “I know” when the cop said he wasn’t the owner was too creepy to work any other way in my mind. 

Otherwise the cop should have at least introduced the guy to the grandfather but instead we just see him wondering around the kitchen. 

ETA- When Jo walks out to talk to the other cop he’s holding something up to his head. There isn’t a good shot of it but looks like an ice pack. 

Edited by Guest
On 10/2/2019 at 7:52 PM, AnimeMania said:

I thought they got rid of the car because of the weird magnetic thing that it was doing. It is probably unsafe to keep that around if you can't get it to stop attracting metal.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dani said:

ETA- When Jo walks out to talk to the other cop he’s holding something up to his head. There isn’t a good shot of it but looks like an ice pack. 

You're right.  For half a second (at 28:48 on my screen) he's holding a white cloth up to his head.  There's no injury shown in the next close-up; it would probably have helped if he had a bruise or a cut.

When she was entering the house earlier, Jo didn't pause as though she'd seen him knocked out.  I suppose he was stashed somewhere. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Liking the show, but where the hell is this supposed to be located?

Nighttime skies with galaxy belts visible and 30,000 feet of ocean six miles offshore?

Huh?

I think it is supposed to be Long Island. They referenced it last week.

• Love 3

Is it weird that one of my favorite things is that Jo was sleeping in an orange tank top and blue & white pajama bottoms? So often, TV characters (especially women) are shown sleeping in pajama sets or random tops and bottoms that still go together color-wise. It felt real that she was probably sleeping in an old tank top that she didn't like as much anymore, didn't fit well anymore, maybe had a hole or a bleach stain somewhere, etc. The show continues to impress me by having characters act like actual people.

• Love 21
6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:
7 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Liking the show, but where the hell is this supposed to be located?

Nighttime skies with galaxy belts visible and 30,000 feet of ocean six miles offshore?

Huh?

I think it is supposed to be Long Island. They referenced it last week

On TV, the most remote parts of Vancouver Island BC are adjacent to Long Island NY. 😉

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Mecca said:

I'm getting the romantic feelings from him, but I get nothing in return from her.  My theory is that she ended their relationship for whatever reason and he's the one who can't let go.  That's why he's so willing to rush right back into her life at the hint of uncertainty with Piper all under the guise that he's protecting their daughter.  

What annoys me is that he isn't more angry that she put their daughters life in danger bringing Piper into the house.  She volunteered to take this kid in before she even had an idea of how serious the situation really was.  He made one comment about it and she shot him down and made it seem like he was the bad guy for even raising any concern.

I think the show is trying too hard to make her ex be understanding of the situation because most of the time TV shows portray ex's as hating each other and they obviously want to go the opposite direction, but the guy has a reason to be upset and he should butt heads with her a little more about Piper.

I react the same way to the situation, though I'm not annoyed that he isn't more angry. I think he's deliberately being played as a guy who leans more toward concern than anger. Which is fine by me, there are too many shows where anger is the baseline emotion. I'm good with a show that has suspense and even violence without ratcheting up the anger.

11 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

It is throwing me off to see Clancy Brown playing a character who is both nice and normal.

Good lines in this episode: "I basically ate the flu" and "...because his face broke."

I know, right? Clancy's an imposing guy, and it's good to see him play someone nice. I laughed at the "ate the flu" comment because that happened to me once when my kids were young. I remember thinking "yep, there's no way I'm not getting this one."

11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought they got rid of the car because of the weird magnetic thing that it was doing. It is probably unsafe to keep that around if you can't get it to stop attracting metal.

I thought a lot about it, and think I've come to the tentative conclusion that they're dumping it in the same place Yousef dumped the plane. Kind of like an evidence storage locker, where they know where it is, but the bad guys don't. I may be overthinking this.

• Love 13
On 10/3/2019 at 6:28 PM, Mecca said:

What annoys me is that he isn't more angry that she put their daughters life in danger bringing Piper into the house.  She volunteered to take this kid in before she even had an idea of how serious the situation really was.  He made one comment about it and she shot him down and made it seem like he was the bad guy for even raising any concern...

but the guy has a reason to be upset and he should butt heads with her a little more about Piper.

I thought his concern was fair, but he looked like a jerk because his concern is moot. The writers have done a good job of showing Jo didn't have a lot of choices, and she picked the best one.

She was going to go by the book but then it became clear that shady people wanted to take Piper. As the highest law enforcement in their town, she can't just walk away and leave a vulnerable child. I think that's why her ex isn't mad, because Jo is basically doing the best she can with the resources available.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, saber5055 said:

I thought of you guys when the Evil Man found Piper's tracker in the drain trap. I hope he put the drain back together before he bailed out the window.

I thought of the posters here too! I am not very observant (a trait that drives my husband absolutely crazy) so I didn't notice the U-shaped drain, but once the stalker guy headed to the bathroom, I got excited because I knew what he was gonna do because of the commenters here. Lol

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:07 PM, mandigirl said:

How they met, what's his job, what's his name...? Do we even have a name for him?

And I may be completely dense, but I'm lost on the "story" too. I get that she's trying to twist what goes out that for her family and Piper's protection, but what exactly is the story they're putting out? I never could get it to make sense to me.

On 10/4/2019 at 5:08 AM, shapeshifter said:

On TV, the most remote parts of Vancouver Island BC are adjacent to Long Island NY. 😉

Because they can drive there in less than five minutes, or fly instantly, without a reservation.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Jennabelle88 said:

And I may be completely dense, but I'm lost on the "story" too. I get that she's trying to twist what goes out that for her family and Piper's protection, but what exactly is the story they're putting out? I never could get it to make sense to me.

I'm hoping this week explains that. If the story is Jo has taken in some wandering waif, the (real) Child Welfare Services people will show up to take Piper. If the story is Piper is Jo's niece visiting from out of town (which is what small-town weeklies print), then Jo didn't need the national journalist guy to put the story on the wire, nor would it even be picked up by AP or any other paper so journalist could stay in town and work the other story.

I love the observation of what Jo is wearing to bed. The last time I wore matching top and bottom to bed? My memory doesn't go back that far.

• Love 5

A lot of people are talking about the news article about Piper. Here is as much of the article as was shown on TV.

Local Police Chief Fosters Orphan Girl
Parents killed in rollover crash.

by Benjamin Gallagher
October 1, 2019

A young girl was left orphaned after a devastating
rollover crash took the lives of both of her
parents. Luckily Southold's own police chief, Jo
Evans has taken her into her home.

Chief Evans was called to scene after a car 
accident was reported along Highway 25. Freddie
and Caitlyn Martin were taking their daughter 
for a camping trip when a deer stepped into the
road in front of them. It is believed they lost control 
of the vehicle when they swerved to miss the
deer. Both were declared dead at the scene.
There daughter was treated at the local hospital for 
minor injuries.

With no known relatives,the young girl was to be 
taken into government custody. That is until 
Chief Evans stepped in. Chief Evans is considered 
well-respected in her community and her

• Useful 10
  • Love 3
On 10/7/2019 at 4:13 PM, AnimeMania said:

A lot of people are talking about the news article about Piper. Here is as much of the article as was shown on TV.

Thank you! (for the whole article, not just the headline)

Edited by Paloma
clarifying
  • Love 2
On 10/7/2019 at 4:13 PM, AnimeMania said:

by Benjamin Gallagher
October 1, 2019

A young girl was left orphaned after a devastating
rollover crash took the lives of both of her
parents. Luckily Southold's own police chief, Jo
Evans has taken her into her home.

Chief Evans was called to scene after a car 
accident was reported along Highway 25. Freddie
and Caitlyn Martin were taking their daughter 
for a camping trip when a deer stepped into the
road in front of them. It is believed they lost control 
of the vehicle when they swerved to miss the
deer. Both were declared dead at the scene.
There daughter was treated at the local hospital for 
minor injuries.

With no known relatives,the young girl was to be 
taken into government custody. That is until 
Chief Evans stepped in. Chief Evans is considered 
well-respected in her community and her

Thank you!  My TV decided to freeze for five minutes and I completely missed this. 

• Love 1